PDA

View Full Version : Worilds Ranked Second Best Free Agent LB

Oviedo
01-25-2014, 06:24 PM
Not bad for a "terrible" Tomlin draft pick. Could make him too hard for us to resign.

Worilds ranked second-best free-agent LB

January 24, 201411:18 PM
By EdBouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Linebacker Jason Worilds, blocked by a wrist injury and two Pro Bowlers in front of him his first three seasons with the Steelers, broke through with his best season in 2013, and it’s about to pay off for him.
Worilds is ranked as the second-best linebacker available in free agency,according to RotoWorld, a highly regarded site that covers prosports, including the NFL, and released its ratings Friday.

The only outside linebacker ranked ahead of Worilds is Brian Orakpo ofthe Washington Redskins, a first-round draft choice in 2009 who hasmade three Pro Bowls.

Freeagents can sign with other teams beginning March 11, but they canre-sign with their own team anytime before. Although the Steelershave not identified which players they would like to sign, presidentArt Rooney II, in a recent chat with Steelers ticket-holders,mentioned only one player when asked who he would like to keep.

“JasonWorilds is certainly somebody who came on and showed what he can do,particularly over the second half of the season,” Rooney said.

TheSteelers have 21 unrestricted free agents, and 18 landed onRotoWorld’s rankings. Among their position players, FernandoVelasco ranked the next highest as the eighth-best center.
EmmanuelSanders is ranked No. 9 at wide receiver, Jerricho Cotchery No. 17and Plaxico Burress No. 44 among the 45 they ranked.

RyanClark is listed 10th among the 40 safeties with Will Allen at No. 34.Former Steelers safety Ryan Mundy is No. 23.

RotoWorld ranked LaRod Stephens-Howling as the 14th-best running back, Jonathan Dwyer as No. 15 and Felix Jones No. 20. Former Steeler RashardMendenhall ranked seventh.
Brett Keisel is 15th among the 35 defensive ends. It listed defensive end Ziggy Hood at defensive tackle, where they rank him 16th among the 40on their list with Al Woods at No. 30.
David Johnson is listed at No. 20 among tight ends and Michael Palmer No.25.

Stevenson Sylvester ranks 29th of the 30 inside linebackers on the RotoWorld list, but Jamaal Westerman is ranked five spots above him.

Of the five punters listed, Plum native Pat McAfee is No. 1, and two who played for the Steelers last season, Mat McBriar and Zoltan Mesko,are listed fourth and fifth.

Former Steelers offensive lineman Willie Colon is rated No. 3 among guards available in free agency. Also at guard, former Steeler Jamon Meredith is ranked 14th and Chris Scott No. 22.

Only three of the Steelers impending 21 unrestricted free agents are not on the RotoWorld rankings — Cody Wallace and Guy Whimper, and they do not list long snappers, so Greg Warren is not mentioned.
The Steelers have no restricted free agents this year.

Ernie
01-25-2014, 06:33 PM
I've been saying that for a few weeks now. He's ranked too high for us to be able to hold onto. Someone will take a chance on him and offer him a high end deal.

Shawn
01-25-2014, 07:17 PM
I've been saying that for a few weeks now. He's ranked too high for us to be able to hold onto. Someone will take a chance on him and offer him a high end deal.

I think you are right Ernie. The Steelers made their own bed with this one. They didn't recognize the need to sign him while he was affordable. Now, he will break the bank. 6-8 million per season will be his market. With the Steelers on the line for much of Woodley's contract...just not sure they are willing to eat that...and put more money into the position for a guy who flashed for half a season.

sick beats
01-25-2014, 08:04 PM
He's gone. Guess we have to make Woodley work out. But he will be hurt like he is every season.

B&GinNC
01-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Guess what position just skyrocketed up the draft board? The PS will likely have 8 picks. Now guessing a 2nd and a 3rd day pick are spent at the position.

Ernie
01-25-2014, 08:40 PM
it's a pretty disturbing trend really...

8467thekraken
01-25-2014, 11:09 PM
Hard to blame the FO. They had to go with what they had. And that was Woodley. He put up impressive numbers with Harrison. They were an impressive tandom. It sucks that Woodley gets hurt every year. It also sucks that we will lose Worilds. But we have Jones. And getting Barr or Mack or Mosley this year in the first will keep us right in the thick of things. And if those 3 are gone we will get Nix or Gilbert. And if all 5 of those guys are gone, hello Marqise Lee. and hello offense. 'cause with Lee, Brown, Cotchery, Wheaton, Miller and Bell...defenses will have a hand full with Ben behind Center.

I personally think Lee in place of Sanders flips this offense. Brown, Lee, Wheaton, Miller and Bell is gross with Ben at the helm and Pouncey,Foster,Beachum and DDC on the line.

I don't know. I just feel like like we can't lose with our draft position this year.

Captain Lemming
01-26-2014, 12:16 AM
He's gone. Guess we have to make Woodley work out. But he will be hurt like he is every season.

Something to consider.
We regret paying Woodley the big bucks because AFTER signing he has been injury prone right?
Worilds got a starting opportunity twice and cannot string together a half season of starts......EVER.
Woodley at least HAS been a healthy starter. Worilds has NEVER done that.

Not to defend Woodley, but if we dont want an oft injured player Worilds aint necessarily gonna be any better at staying healthy.

His new found value to another team might be a blessing in disguise.

It would look really stupid if we get snake bitten again with a guy WE KNEW IN ADVANCE was prone to injury, pay him AND get cap hit by a chunk of what we owe Woodley after cutting him.

Beware what you wish for my Steeler brothers.

Ernie
01-26-2014, 07:01 AM
Something to consider.
We regret paying Woodley the big bucks because AFTER signing he has been injury prone right?
Worilds got a starting opportunity twice and cannot string together a half season of starts......EVER.

Not to defend Woodley, but if we dont want an oft injured player Worilds aint necessarily gonna be any better at staying healthy.

It would look really stupid if we get snake bitten again with a guy WE KNEW IN ADVANCE was prone to injury, pay him AND get cap hit by a chunk of what we owe Woodley after cutting him.

so you're saying there's a good chance we are screwed either way? That is a good possibility

steeler_george
01-26-2014, 07:28 AM
instead of signning worilds, why don't go for the #1 LB? How much more would it be to get the all pro?

I agree with CAPTAIN LEMMING.... Worilds has never had a healhy season, and that was the knock on Woodley!

Ernie
01-26-2014, 07:33 AM
It's safe to say that the vast majority of these guys are "Injury prone". Not too many guys play a full 16 game season in today's NFL.

papillon
01-26-2014, 09:39 AM
Before we start giving the FO a hard time over Worilds, can someone tell me at what time you believed he had performed at an NFL level good enough to offer him a contract extension? Often injured and multiple opportunities to take hold of the starting position without success. What do you offer a player with those stat line and failures to keep him on your team? Why would you?

On the other hand, it seems the coaching staff may have missed on where to play Worilds, it seems he's a very good LOLB, but not so much at ROLB.

Pappy

Oviedo
01-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Before we start giving the FO a hard time over Worilds, can someone tell me at what time you believed he had performed at an NFL level good enough to offer him a contract extension? Often injured and multiple opportunities to take hold of the starting position without success. What do you offer a player with those stat line and failures to keep him on your team? Why would you?

On the other hand, it seems the coaching staff may have missed on where to play Worilds, it seems he's a very good LOLB, but not so much at ROLB.

Pappy

Worilds was among team leader in QB presssures in games he played in. FO could have made an offer and got him on the cheap by offering him security after last season which he likely would have jumped all over. Especially knowing Harrison was washed up and Woodley was a huge question mark.

phillyesq
01-26-2014, 10:29 AM

Pappy

You nailed it, Pappy. Worilds had a perfect opportunity to demonstrate his value when Harrison was out for a few weeks to start the 2012 season. However, he couldn't seize the opportunity because he wasn't healthy himself, and he ended up splitting reps with Chris Carter. His performance to start this season was so lackluster that he lost his starting job to Jarvis Jones. He finally capitalized on the opportunity when Jones lost his starting job, but even then, Worilds missed the last game of the season because of an injury.

Worilds did show some flashes at times, but he never showed an ability to stay healthy or perform at a consistently high level. You can't blame the FO when the player doesn't capitalize on his opportunities.

phillyesq
01-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Worilds was among team leader in QB presssures in games he played in. FO could have made an offer and got him on the cheap by offering him security after last season which he likely would have jumped all over. Especially knowing Harrison was washed up and Woodley was a huge question mark.

If I was Worilds, I wouldn't have signed a low extension with the Steelers going into this offseason. You know that they have a huge contract in Woodley and a first round pick at your position in Jones. He would have to think that his best opportunity was with another organization.

squidkid
01-26-2014, 10:35 AM
If I was Worilds, I wouldn't have signed a low extension with the Steelers going into this offseason. You know that they have a huge contract in Woodley and a first round pick at your position in Jones. He would have to think that his best opportunity was with another organization.

great evaluation

Oviedo
01-26-2014, 11:35 AM

They could have signed him before they drafted Jones. If anything, Jones play or lack thereof has given Worilds a stronger negotiating position. Woodley's continued fade has also strengthened Worilds' hand in negotiations.

thor75
01-26-2014, 12:26 PM
I still think Woirlds will get only 3-4 mil/year. Whether that's doable for the Steelers is another question.

Shoe
01-26-2014, 12:41 PM
I still think Woirlds will get only 3-4 mil/year. Whether that's doable for the Steelers is another question.

I think it will be on the higher end of that (i.e. 4 mil). The number in my head, due to comparisons to guys like Paul Kruger, were too high. I don't see a team giving him anywhere near Kruger money (5 years, $40 mil), not after seeing the complete list of FA available. I see him around that $5 mil/year, and TBH (from the Steeler PoV), I still would be hesitant.

squidkid
01-26-2014, 12:54 PM
They could have signed him before they drafted Jones. If anything, Jones play or lack thereof has given Worilds a stronger negotiating position. Woodley's continued fade has also strengthened Worilds' hand in negotiations.

why draft jones then if you gave worilds a new contract then?
if the steelers would have given worilds a good contract, after proving nothing over the last 3 years, fans would have went nuts about it. and deservedly so.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-26-2014, 01:59 PM

I don't think that Jones' play has strengthened JW's bargaining position at all, in fact it might have hurt him. JW has shown that he has no versatility as a 3-4 OLB. He has played miserably anytime he has been asked to play the right side. He can only play on the left. He can't be moved around in order to create mismatches with the OL. His only bargaining chip is Woodley and his constant injury history. If the FO deems Woodley too much of a risk, then they will go hard after Worilds. I believe that if they stay with Woodley, then Worilds will not return. Jones won't factor into that decision.

Shawn
01-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Hard to blame the FO. They had to go with what they had. And that was Woodley. He put up impressive numbers with Harrison. They were an impressive tandom. It sucks that Woodley gets hurt every year. It also sucks that we will lose Worilds. But we have Jones. And getting Barr or Mack or Mosley this year in the first will keep us right in the thick of things. And if those 3 are gone we will get Nix or Gilbert. And if all 5 of those guys are gone, hello Marqise Lee. and hello offense. 'cause with Lee, Brown, Cotchery, Wheaton, Miller and Bell...defenses will have a hand full with Ben behind Center.

I personally think Lee in place of Sanders flips this offense. Brown, Lee, Wheaton, Miller and Bell is gross with Ben at the helm and Pouncey,Foster,Beachum and DDC on the line.

I don't know. I just feel like like we can't lose with our draft position this year. Not hard to blame them for Woodley...but easy to find fault for not signing Worilds. How can a guy be a sack machine yet coaching staff doesn't see it?

birtikidis
01-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Ovi would have thrown money at Worilds when HE was the one known for being hurt all the time and being a wasted draft pick. Dude comes in and plays half a season of good football and Ovi comes in with his revisionist history making it sound like we we should have signed him rather than drafting Jones. FACT IS that prior to the second half of THIS season Worilds didn't show that he was worthy of his current contract let alone an extension. Hell, I don't even think he was even on the special teams unit because he was HURT so much.

birtikidis
01-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Not hard to blame them for Woodley...but easy to find fault for not signing Worilds. How can a guy be a sack machine yet coaching staff doesn't see it?
because he's in sweat pants more often than practice equipment?

Shawn
01-26-2014, 02:47 PM
If I was Worilds, I wouldn't have signed a low extension with the Steelers going into this offseason. You know that they have a huge contract in Woodley and a first round pick at your position in Jones. He would have to think that his best opportunity was with another organization.I would disagree. How could they not see the guy's talent if it's there. They are pros at evaluating talent. So, signing him for pennies on the dollar makes sense...even as a back up considering Woodleys history. Last season, they could have said...you are a reasonable stop gap...here is 1.5 million per season. He would have jumped at it.

Shawn
01-26-2014, 02:49 PM
why draft jones then if you gave worilds a new contract then?
if the steelers would have given worilds a good contract, after proving nothing over the last 3 years, fans would have went nuts about it. and deservedly so.Because at bare minimum you need 3 OLBs in a 3-4 system. You just cant afford to play Chris Carters.

Shawn
01-26-2014, 02:52 PM
because he's in sweat pants more often than practice equipment?Which can be said for Woodley. OLBs get dinged up. That is what happens. You need 3-4 quality OLBs.

birtikidis
01-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Which can be said for Woodley. OLBs get dinged up. That is what happens. You need 3-4 quality OLBs.
Yea but how do you evaluate a guy for an extension when he's always hurt. Woodley wasn't injury prone PRIOR to the extension. Worilds was. He's had more hammy issues than any player that I can remember.

papillon
01-26-2014, 04:52 PM
You nailed it, Pappy. Worilds had a perfect opportunity to demonstrate his value when Harrison was out for a few weeks to start the 2012 season. However, he couldn't seize the opportunity because he wasn't healthy himself, and he ended up splitting reps with Chris Carter. His performance to start this season was so lackluster that he lost his starting job to Jarvis Jones. He finally capitalized on the opportunity when Jones lost his starting job, but even then, Worilds missed the last game of the season because of an injury.

Worilds did show some flashes at times, but he never showed an ability to stay healthy or perform at a consistently high level. You can't blame the FO when the player doesn't capitalize on his opportunities.

This is my point entirely, the only play he put on tape that indicates that he is capable of being an every down player in the NFL is over the last 8 games of this season. he has had 4 years to prove his worth and couldn't. How do you justify giving him a 5/30 or 5/40 contract? What has he done? 8 games, really, and injured again to miss the last game?

Pappy

papillon
01-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Not hard to blame them for Woodley...but easy to find fault for not signing Worilds. How can a guy be a sack machine yet coaching staff doesn't see it?

A sack machine, really? When was this, I missed it? Again, the last 8 games of this year only, can you count on that "sack machine" continuing that production or is it more likely he will miss time with injury? Which would be given the higher probability?

I'd like to keep him, but if his numbers are anything above 4 mil/year, I don't see how the Steelers match those numbers.

Pappy

Pappy

Steelerphile
01-26-2014, 06:34 PM
One thing I would assert is that fans, especially those that tend to post on forums, tend to be far more negative than the coaches or others who assess plays soberly without some type of emotional disdain. Worilds would not be ranked the No. 2 free agent linebacker if he had done absolutely nothing before this year. He did good things even before this season. But I would say he played markedly well, this year, like perhaps the best OLB in the league. That is what he did this year. He acquitted himself reasonably well beforehand. If you had eyes you could see the talent.

If you want to emphasize injury, then you can. You would be hard pressed to find many players in the league who never had an injury issue. I would rather bet on Worilds than Woodley at this point. Woodley issues have become chronic with the same kind of muscle pulls for three years and he has reached 30. Worilds problems have been different things, and he is younger at 25. I always thank goodness that the negative people on here do not make the personnel decisions. I hope they find some way to keep him. I don't know what his demands may be. I doubt that he personally would be that difficult to negotiate with, but somethimes players leave everything to the agent, who may be a problem.

Shoe
01-26-2014, 06:41 PM
One thing I would assert is that fans, especially those that tend to post on forums, tend to be far more negative than the coaches or others who assess plays soberly without some type of emotional disdain. Worilds would not be ranked the No. 2 free agent linebacker if he had done absolutely nothing before this year. He did good things even before this season. But I would say he played markedly well, this year, like perhaps the best OLB in the league. That is what he did this year. He acquitted himself reasonably well beforehand. If you had eyes you could see the talent.

If you want to emphasize injury, then you can. You would be hard pressed to find many players in the league who never had an injury issue. I would rather bet on Worilds than Woodley at this point. Woodley issues have become chronic with the same kind of muscle pulls for three years and he has reached 30. Worilds problems have been different things, and he is younger at 25. I always thank goodness that the negative people on here do not make the personnel decisions. I hope they find some way to keep him. I don't know what his demands may be. I doubt that he personally would be that difficult to negotiate with, but somethimes players leave everything to the agent, who may be a problem.

Are you stoned? Or maybe I am. Or maybe I need reading comprehension lessons. Did you just say that Worilds performed like the best OLB in the league last year?

Anyone would take Worilds over Woodley at this point, all things being equal. But they aren't equal. Woodley can still play. He costs whatever he costs (I don't know the number; let's just say $8 mil). If we keep him and he has 10 sacks next year, we are fine. If we cut him and sign Worilds, we pay his salary and Woodley's dead money. If that # is $5 mil for Worilds, and we eat Woodley's cap number, that is $10+ mil.

What is Worilds going to do? At best, we are talking a 10-12 sack guy too. If his past is indication? He will get hurt too. When/if he does, what are we left with? Chris Carter?

Steelerphile
01-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Are you stoned? Or maybe I am. Or maybe I need reading comprehension lessons. Did you just say that Worilds performed like the best OLB in the league last year?

Anyone would take Worilds over Woodley at this point, all things being equal. But they aren't equal. Woodley can still play. He costs whatever he costs (I don't know the number; let's just say $8 mil). If we keep him and he has 10 sacks next year, we are fine. If we cut him and sign Worilds, we pay his salary and Woodley's dead money. If that # is $5 mil for Worilds, and we eat Woodley's cap number, that is $10+ mil.

What is Worilds going to do? At best, we are talking a 10-12 sack guy too. If his past is indication? He will get hurt too. When/if he does, what are we left with? Chris Carter?

Yes I said he performed like the best OLB in the league. Not stoned. When he was at left OLB. He did not seem as comfortable on the right. I am not a capologist. I don't know what the cap implicatons are. I am not going to take your word for it though. We'll see how it goes. I know you'll all for letting him leave. I hope they don't.

Shawn
01-26-2014, 08:06 PM
A sack machine, really? When was this, I missed it? Again, the last 8 games of this year only, can you count on that "sack machine" continuing that production or is it more likely he will miss time with injury? Which would be given the higher probability?

I'd like to keep him, but if his numbers are anything above 4 mil/year, I don't see how the Steelers match those numbers.

Pappy

Pappy

I was saying it tongue in cheek. I'm actually on the fence about Worilds. I have never really taken a stance on his play other than I believe he flashed half a season. My point is...evaluation of talent. He is considered the second best OLB FA available. No doubt the Steelers would be better with him, than without him. Even if he didn't start having Worilds is a luxury I would love to have. So, in practice...in games he played the Steelers never seen enough talent to throw a back up contract at the guy? They were willing to let him walk...bring in a rookie? I don't know...seems like the FO and or coaches missed something here.

papillon
01-26-2014, 09:36 PM
I was saying it tongue in cheek. I'm actually on the fence about Worilds. I have never really taken a stance on his play other than I believe he flashed half a season. My point is...evaluation of talent. He is considered the second best OLB FA available. No doubt the Steelers would be better with him, than without him. Even if he didn't start having Worilds is a luxury I would love to have. So, in practice...in games he played the Steelers never seen enough talent to throw a back up contract at the guy? They were willing to let him walk...bring in a rookie? I don't know...seems like the FO and or coaches missed something here.

And this is why i wouldn't put it past the Steelers to draft another OLB at 1.15 and after next year roll with Jones and this year's pick, let worlds go this year and release Woodley next year.

Oh and sorry I didn't have sarcastic meter running on the sack machine comment, I must be losing it in my old age. :p

Pappy

Shoe
01-26-2014, 11:54 PM
And this is why i wouldn't put it past the Steelers to draft another OLB at 1.15 and after next year roll with Jones and this year's pick, let worlds go this year and release Woodley next year.

If Khalil Mack or Barr make it to us, it makes the decision for us IMO. If not, I'm a big fan of taking Trent Murphy there, though it is considered a reach at this point in the process. I think he would be a quick study, for Woodley's inevitable calf or hamstring pull. And he has versatility, which we need.

It would give us the last two FBS sack leaders too.

phillyesq
01-27-2014, 10:26 AM
I would disagree. How could they not see the guy's talent if it's there. They are pros at evaluating talent. So, signing him for pennies on the dollar makes sense...even as a back up considering Woodleys history. Last season, they could have said...you are a reasonable stop gap...here is 1.5 million per season. He would have jumped at it.

Why would he have jumped at this? If you take the premise that most guys believe in their own ability, why wouldn't he have wanted a shot at FA to prove his worth elsewhere, knowing that he was close to being an afterthought in Pittsburgh?

And while he has flashed some talent, he lacks one of the most important skills - staying healthy.

feltdizz
01-27-2014, 10:29 AM
someone will overpay for him and there is nothing we can do about it...

but let's be real.. he wasn't a beast in our system. He had a nice run in 8 games this year but he didn't "win" any games for us or change the momentum of games. He was a good OLB on a bad defense this year.

squidkid
01-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Because at bare minimum you need 3 OLBs in a 3-4 system. You just cant afford to play Chris Carters.

worilds wasnt quality when some are saying he should have gotten paid

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Nobody is mentioning the fact that this is also a very weak crop of outside backers, especially 3-4. Worilds is #2 after Orakpo - the easy top OLB. #3 is Shaun Philips - a 10 year vet who is currently a backup to Von Miller. Mike Neal of the Packers is #4 and he just played his first season at OLB after slimming down and converting from DE. Very few notable names.

This will work in JW's favor, but remember, last off-season the team brought in every possible FA OLB to play ahead of Worilds.

Oviedo
01-27-2014, 11:05 AM
And this is why i wouldn't put it past the Steelers to draft another OLB at 1.15 and after next year role with jones and this year's pick, let worlds go this year and release Woolley next year.

Oh and sorry I didn't have sarcastic meter running on the sack machine comment, I must be losing it in my old age. :p

Pappy

I agree. I could see them grabbing someone like Khalil Mack if he falls to #15. Would be the smart move if we let Worilds walk and only have Woodley and Jones which is a scary thought.

Oviedo
01-27-2014, 11:07 AM
someone will overpay for him and there is nothing we can do about it...

but let's be real.. he wasn't a beast in our system. He had a nice run in 8 games this year but he didn't "win" any games for us or change the momentum of games. He was a good OLB on a bad defense this year.

Look back when he played. He was always among the leaders in QB pressures. He knows how to get to the QB. Can't fault him on that.

NW Steeler
01-27-2014, 01:17 PM
Something to consider.

BOOM. My thoughts exactly.

Shawn
01-27-2014, 02:27 PM
I agree. I could see them grabbing someone like Khalil Mack if he falls to #15. Would be the smart move if we let Worilds walk and only have Woodley and Jones which is a scary thought.

I can't see the Steelers passing on Mack if he is there.

ikestops85
01-27-2014, 05:07 PM
I think many have forgotten how well Worilds played in 2012 when he subbed for Woodley. Yes, he subbed for Harrison at the beginning of the year and played badly but later on when Woodley got hurt Worilds played well. I still don't know why there is such a difference between how he plays on the right side vs. the left side. I just know when he plays on the left side he flashes pro bowl talent.

squidkid
01-27-2014, 05:10 PM
I think many have forgotten how well Worilds played in 2012 when he subbed for Woodley. Yes, he subbed for Harrison at the beginning of the year and played badly but later on when Woodley got hurt Worilds played well. I still don't know why there is such a difference between how he plays on the right side vs. the left side. I just know when he plays on the left side he flashes pro bowl talent.

yup, people want to knock worilds for his play on the right side but when woodley moved there, he didnt do **** either. but some want us to let worilds walk and continue to get raped by woodley

birtikidis
01-27-2014, 05:12 PM
problem is that Worilds has a pretty lenghthy injury history

squidkid
01-27-2014, 05:16 PM
problem is that Worilds has a pretty lenghthy injury history

more than LameR?

birtikidis
01-27-2014, 05:26 PM
more than LameR?
For a guy who didn't start? Was probably worse. He couldn't get in the game and he'd get hurt. Like Brian Griese...

SS Laser
01-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Way to lazy to look it up. But besides a few sacks does Worilds have any strips or multiple sack games? Really Pro bowl level? Someone else here said one of the best OLB in the league, REALLY? I did not see it. I seen the best OLB on this team with bad OLB play is all. So that does not say much. How has Kruger played? Not sold on Worilds at all. Would keep him for a Steelers friendly deal but nothing else from my point of view. Can Worilds even be a Gildon? Who fans love to hate it seems to me. Was Gildon more then a average OLB? Do we want a average OLB? Or is this all about Woodley really hurting this team and fans? Really wish Woodley would get his head out of his ASS! He can be a game changer. Can Worilds be a game changer? I am not so sure.

birtikidis
01-27-2014, 05:34 PM
I think Worilds could be above average, I just don't think he can stay healthy. Myself, I'd cut Woodley, sign Worilds but he'd rotate pretty heavy to make sure he stays healthy.

Shoe
01-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Way to lazy to look it up. But besides a few sacks does Worilds have any strips or multiple sack games? Really Pro bowl level? Someone else here said one of the best OLB in the league, REALLY? I did not see it. I seen the best OLB on this team with bad OLB play is all. So that does not say much. How has Kruger played? Not sold on Worilds at all. Would keep him for a Steelers friendly deal but nothing else from my point of view. Can Worilds even be a Gildon? Who fans love to hate it seems to me. Was Gildon more then a average OLB? Do we want a average OLB? Or is this all about Woodley really hurting this team and fans? Really wish Woodley would get his head out of his ASS! He can be a game changer. Can Worilds be a game changer? I am not so sure.

Worilds is definitely on that Gildon scale. I think Gildon is the top of the scale, and a guy like Clark Haggans is the bottom of such scale. That is, a solid guy who doesn't move the needle. If you can team that kind of guy with a guy who does move the needle (i.e. a Peezy, James Harrison), you have yourself a nice situation. My problem with marrying Worilds really, is that I have a feeling that Jarvis Jones is the same type of guy (i.e. only a 7-9 sack guy). And since we're already tied to Jones, we shouldn't tie ourselves to another above-average yet not game-breaking player. Not at OLB, which is a feature position in our D.

We need at least one great player, a "difference-maker" playing there. Worilds isn't it IMO. Jarvis may not be it (I reserve full judgement, but I'm hesitant). Woodley has proven he isn't it either. We gotta just focus on that, and see if there is such a player in the Top 15 (I think there are three, two of which figure to be gone by then.)