PDA

View Full Version : 9th Pick in Draft

flippy
12-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Currently we'd have the #9 pick in the draft. Wonder who we could realistically get?

The way we're playing, I wouldn't be all that surprised if we end up with an even higher pick.

SteelCrazy
12-08-2013, 08:20 PM
We play Cin., GB, and Cle. We could lose all 3 or at best win 2...I see us finishing 6-10. We will pick 8th overall.

I hope we get a OT or a shut down corner. Jake Matthews would be great, but I doubt he makes it out of the top 5.

SteelBucks
12-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Mr. Roger Goodell might have something to say about this....

Ernie
12-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Currently we'd have the #9 pick in the draft. Wonder who we could realistically get?

The way we're playing, I wouldn't be all that surprised if we end up with an even higher pick.

Definitely looking at a top 10 pick. As far as a position that we could realistically draft, there are so many needs... my first thought is Left Tackle, but I am really curious to see what happens in the off season with the Offensive Linemen who are currently there... Velasco and Levi Brown in particular. I know Brown was a high 1st round pick. Is he the type of guy that could blossom late in his career (like a Max Starks)? I'm sure the talent is there.

I like Kelvin Beachum. The guy is not flashy, but has become a solid/versatile player for us. I think he is a much better prospect at LT than either Adams or Gilbert. As bad as the O-Line was early, I think they had improved tremendously (up until the injuries).

At a glance, the next position would appear to be ILB, but that could largely depend on Shawn Spence. He was very close to being activated this season, so I would assume he is going to be close to 100% in the summer. I am rooting for this guy big time.

You could look at any number of positions I guess, and it very well my come down to best player available. Would love to find a 6'5" receiver (like the kid from Texas A&M).. but I think we have bigger needs at this point.

Ernie
12-08-2013, 08:31 PM
was it ever determined if we lost a pick?

birtikidis
12-08-2013, 08:54 PM
There was a report today that said that "sources" in the NFL said that we will.

SteelBucks
12-08-2013, 08:57 PM

NFL Network had a report out that we're losing one.

SteelCrazy
12-08-2013, 08:58 PM
The pick we "may" lose will be a late round pick according to sources

SteelBucks
12-08-2013, 09:01 PM
The pick we "may" lose will be a late round pick according to sources

Good. I'd hate to lose an early pick when we were already short on picks because of the draft day trade they made with Cleveland.

Ernie
12-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Wow.. last I had heard we weren't going to lose a pick.

NorthCoast
12-08-2013, 09:23 PM
The Steelers have a lot of needs. THE most important thing is to 'hit' on the 1-3rd rd picks. Been too many misses the last few years and it is really showing up in all over the team.

squidkid
12-08-2013, 09:39 PM
i'll be excited to see our top 10 selection see the field for the first time in 2015

feltdizz
12-08-2013, 09:52 PM
i'll be excited to see our top 10 selection see the field for the first time in 2015

Lol... yeah, it made sense when we were going to SB's and making playoff runs but there is no reason our 1st rounder shouldn't see the field his first year given how bad we are playing.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-08-2013, 09:54 PM
shame we traded away our 3rd, but at least the backup backup QB position is secure

squidkid
12-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Lol... yeah, it made sense when we were going to SB's and making playoff runs but there is no reason our 1st rounder shouldn't see the field his first year given how bad we are playing.
true. i didnt like it before but understood it. the last couple years theres no excuse for these guys not getting playing time. unless of course we are dropping the ball on the players selected or not developing them. either way, bad news

Sugar
12-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Well, we had a number of rookies seeing the field this year. No reason to think that a rookie can't crack the lineup if they merit it.

Shawn
12-08-2013, 10:04 PM

Look at my sig, I think that is who the Steelers will target. With that said, Denard-DB Michigan State impressed me a great deal last game. It would be very hard to pass on a franchise LT, but we are going to need a DB soon.

NorthCoast
12-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Look at my sig, I think that is who the Steelers will target. With that said, Denard-DB Michigan State impressed me a great deal last game. It would be very hard to pass on a franchise LT, but we are going to need a DB soon.

Seen that, and was gonna mention his name. That pick would make Ike expendable.

squidkid
12-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Well, we had a number of rookies seeing the field this year. No reason to think that a rookie can't crack the lineup if they merit it.

who has contributed? jones, invisible. bell, way below average. wheaton, nope. thomas a little i guess.
like i said, they are drafting the wrong guys or cant coach them up to merit any playing time

NorthCoast
12-08-2013, 10:12 PM
who has contributed? jones, invisible. bell, way below average. wheaton, nope. thomas a little i guess.
like i said, they are drafting the wrong guys or cant coach them up to merit any playing time

Bell??? seriously?... if you don't see the talent there I am glad you don't work in the Steelers front office.

feltdizz
12-08-2013, 10:20 PM

Bell? Whuuuut? Sorry, Bell is definitely contributing and I wished we kept feeding him in the 2nd qtr.

Shawn
12-08-2013, 10:20 PM

Bell way below average? What team are you watching?

feltdizz
12-08-2013, 10:24 PM
I think someone said Bell has 900 total yards... 4th in Steelers history as a rookie and he missed a few games.

Bell is definitely showing something.

Shawn
12-08-2013, 10:27 PM
I think someone said Bell has 900 total yards... 4th in Steelers history as a rookie and he missed a few games.

Can you image what he would do behind a real OL?

NorthCoast
12-08-2013, 10:37 PM

Bell currently at 847 yds. just behind Worley, gotta ways to go to catch Bam and Franco (1235 yds). Still, that's some lofty company.

feltdizz
12-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Dude said way below average...lol.

SteelCrazy
12-08-2013, 10:59 PM
I would be way below average. Bell is right on target to be "well above average".

flippy
12-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Bell??? seriously?... if you don't see the talent there I am glad you don't work in the Steelers front office.

I do think he's still a work in progress and getting better. The thing I was most critical of was his blitz pickup and I think he's finally starting to get that. Early in the season he was a downright awful blocker. He'd lunge and miss everyone. These last few weeks, he's bailed out Ben a few times and I think it's actually helped lower Ben's sacks during this recent run.

The other questions about him in my mind are his speed and consistency. His 3.3 YPC are downright awful compared to the premiere backs in the league. I do see him improving his ability to pick his way through traffic and get some positive yards where it doesn't look like there's any. But his problem right now is his lack of speed to get outside or to put up any big runs to help his average. That's fine, but if he's gonna have to be a plodder between the tackles, he might have to get a little stronger and more physical so he can more violently attack the LOS to get his YPC up.

He's got great feet dancing thru the holes. But he either needs a little more speed or a little more power so he can hit the holes more decisively and get in the 4+ YPC range.

He's been a pleasant surprise as a receiver out of the backfield. And I'd say coming back next year, I do expect him to change the whole complexion of this offense with that dimension to his game.

So to a degree, I get someone saying Bell is below average because his YPC is. And there's a lot of room for improvement. At the same time, I do see him getting better.

squidkid
12-08-2013, 11:38 PM
bell is 24th in the league in rushing yards. 32 starting rbs in the league. 16 is half of 32. 24th is a lower ranking than 16th so 24th would be below the average..........pretty simple math really.

squidkid
12-08-2013, 11:42 PM
yards per game he is 21st. still below 16 which still means below average

Captain Lemming
12-08-2013, 11:48 PM
shame we traded away our 3rd, but at least the backup backup QB position is secure

Scary thing is he was the FOURTH best QB in preseason.
Can a guy YOU KNEW was gonna be third string be a bust? :)

squidkid
12-08-2013, 11:50 PM
he is 8th in rec. yards for a rb. that would be above average for you mathematically challenged

Eddie Spaghetti
12-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Scary thing is he was the FOURTH best QB in preseason.
Can a guy YOU KNEW was gonna be third string be a bust? :)

scary thing is we wasted a 4th on a 3rd string QB and some fans still defend the selection

laughable

Rod Polamalu
12-09-2013, 12:16 AM

Personally my first round board goes as such,... OLB Anthony Barr, WR Mike Evans and NT Louis Nix. Realistically, we probably land Nix. However that is still a considerable win for us as Nix will more than likely go on to be one of the best in the league at his position. A position that just so happens to one of need for us in particular.

flippy
12-09-2013, 12:41 AM
Personally my first round board goes as such,... OLB Anthony Barr, WR Mike Evans and NT Louis Nix. Realistically, we probably land Nix. However that is still a considerable win for us as Nix will more than likely go on to be one of the best in the league at his position. A position that just so happens to one of need for us in particular.

I'd take Barr in a heartbeat if he's there. And I'd be happy if we came away with Nix. I was really hoping Star was gonna fall to us last draft. I've always wondered if we woulda taken him over JJ if they both fell to us?

Rod Polamalu
12-09-2013, 01:18 AM
I'd take Barr in a heartbeat if he's there. And I'd be happy if we came away with Nix. I was really hoping Star was gonna fall to us last draft. I've always wondered if we woulda taken him over JJ if they both fell to us?

I liked lotulelei as well Flip, would have been a great fit. But something tells me the Tomlin/Colbert connection seemed bent on Jones so as to save face and or justify letting James walk ?

However with that said, i think Jones could pan out when and if he becomes more comfortable and plays with a great deal more aggression.

Oviedo
12-09-2013, 03:53 AM
I'm rooting for a Top 10 pick because that is Top 10 in every round not just the 1st. We have lots of holes, but MUST start with a Left Tackle.

Rod Polamalu
12-09-2013, 04:12 AM
We have lots of holes, but MUST start with a Left Tackle.

Fair enough Oviedo,...start in the trenches when building or rebuilding. However,...say we go OT and the defense which has been our strength for years while our Roethlisberger led offenses put up numbers yet consistently failed to score points,....would enter another season with no real help to improve in terms of personnel.

We are in bad shape after wasting draft after draft and something has to give,....do we er on the side of the log jam of O lineman that we currently have getting healthy and the offense being able to be relatively sound ? And then address the traditional heart and soul of this organization,...the defense ?

Or do we keep drafting O-lineman and allow the Defense to get progressively worse ?

Oviedo
12-09-2013, 04:31 AM
Fair enough Oviedo,...start in the trenches when building or rebuilding. However,...say we go OT and the defense which has been our strength for years while our Roethlisberger led offenses put up numbers yet consistently failed to score points,....would enter another season with no real help to improve in terms of personnel.

We are in bad shape after wasting draft after draft and something has to give,....do we er on the side of the log jam of O lineman that we currently have getting healthy and the offense being able to be relatively sound ? And then address the traditional heart and soul of this organization,...the defense ?

Or do we keep drafting O-lineman and allow the Defense to get progressively worse ?

We used a 1st Round pick on an OLB this year who isn't good enough yet to play. Left Tackle is the #1 need on this team probably followed by a Nose Tackle if we remain stuck with the same defense.

I would probably go:

1) LT
2) ILB or NT
3) Safety

Töm87
12-09-2013, 08:26 AM
If we lose a pick at least Tomlin is done!

Shawn
12-09-2013, 08:55 AM
bell is 24th in the league in rushing yards. 32 starting rbs in the league. 16 is half of 32. 24th is a lower ranking than 16th so 24th would be below the average..........pretty simple math really.

So you are going by just total rushing yards when he hasn't started several games due to injury? I suppose when you have an ax to grind.

And to Flippy, rookie running back behind one of the worst OL's in the NFL...who is only getting better with each game. What running back in this league not named Peterson could run any better without blocking in front of him?

feltdizz
12-09-2013, 09:45 AM
So you are going by just total rushing yards when he hasn't started several games due to injury? I suppose when you have an ax to grind.

And to Flippy, rookie running back behind one of the worst OL's in the NFL...who is only getting better with each game. What running back in this league not named Peterson could run any better without blocking in front of him?

yeah.. I'm not getting that one at all. I trust my eyes over a stat line...

Bell was running great in the 1st quarter and for some odd reason we stopped using him in the second qtr. This was the perfect game for a cold weather RB like Bell to take over.

Oviedo
12-09-2013, 10:33 AM
If we lose a pick at least Tomlin is done!

Maybe that is wishful thinking for you, but will never happen. The Rooney's are smart enough to know they have a good coach and want to keep him.

flippy
12-09-2013, 10:42 AM

There's a lot of backs that would do better at this point. Bell's still got work to do. He's not the physical runner that guys like AP, Lynch, etc and he doesn't have the athleticism of guys like McCoy, Charles, Bush, Foster, Rice, Williams, Bernard, etc.

Sure the line has an impact, but I think there's a lot of great backs that would do well irregardless of the OLine.

Bell's improving. And I hope he continues. I'd like to see him get stronger and more decisive. I do think there's so huge long term potential if he keeps working at it.

Ghost
12-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Miami was 25th in rushing defense coming into the game. Should have run the wheels off Bell in the second half. What did he get, 5 carries? That's hard to defend by Haley and Tomlin, as he needs to step in and say something if the play calling makes no sense.

squidkid
12-09-2013, 01:45 PM

ok, 21st in average yards per game.
no axe. i like him and hes from my school. seen him a ton in person. just cant get excited about his 58 yards a game and his pathetic ypc.
if he was on any other team and we were facing them, would anybody here say, 'that guy is very good, we need to stop him'?

fezziwig
12-09-2013, 01:56 PM
We need a shut down corner and one that can intercept the ball. I would also do so free agent signing if they decide to get rid of some of the fat salary players like Woodley, Troy and whomever. The trouble is, who do we have to replace the Troy's and Ryan's on this team ?

feltdizz
12-09-2013, 02:01 PM
no axe. i like him and hes from my school. seen him a ton in person. just cant get excited about his 58 yards a game and his pathetic ypc.
if he was on any other team and we were facing them, would anybody here say, 'that guy is very good, we need to stop him'?

I think a better question is what other team would say "our RB is playing very good so lets stop him ourselves?"

1st quarter: Bell 9 carries... 40 yards. On the drive we fed him it resulted in a TD.

2nd qtr: 1 carry.. 4 yards.

then in the 3rd quarter..

run for 6, pass for 10, run for 9... end result TD

4th quarter..

pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass...

If we just fed the kid against the 25th rushing D we would have probably won.

fezziwig
12-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Kind of reminded me of Arians. Not sticking to with what was working.

hawaiiansteel
12-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Kind of reminded me of Arians. Not sticking to with what was working.

what's up fezz, how have you been?

you make a good point, that is eerily reminiscent of Bruce Arians...

Shawn
12-09-2013, 04:51 PM

You must have an ax to grind because you are refusing to acknowledge what he does in the passing game. You are looking at a rookie running back running behind a hodgepodge OL and using that to call him well below average.

Shawn
12-09-2013, 04:52 PM
I think a better question is what other team would say "our RB is playing very good so lets stop him ourselves?"

1st quarter: Bell 9 carries... 40 yards. On the drive we fed him it resulted in a TD.

4th quarter..

Exactly......

mr.me
12-09-2013, 06:19 PM
we need playmakers....3 biggest needs cb,mlb,nt.....with that said,,,ill take dennard cb ,msu,,,,,borland mlb wissy,,or bulloch msu,,,,and a big fatty at nt ,dont know who but i want a fatty!!!!

fezziwig
12-09-2013, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=hawaiiansteel;585679]what's up fezz, how have you been?

you make a good point, that is eerily reminiscent of Bruce Arians...[/QUOTE Not too much, busy with work. Glad to see your still posting.

hawaiiansteel
12-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Post-Miami thoughts

Sunday, December 08, 2013
by Dale Lolley

@ If I'm Kevin Colbert, and thank goodness for Steelers fans that I'm not, I'm taking the best defensive playmakers available on the first two days of the draft.

Mike Adams played a solid game at left tackle Sunday, and the Steelers have been pleased with the play of Kelvin Beachum. There's no way I'd spend a pick on anyone who doesn't run a sub 4.8 40 unless he's a 6-5, 290-pound defensive lineman. Or a nose tackle.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2013/12/post-miami-thoughts.html

NJ-STEELER
12-09-2013, 07:34 PM
i'll wait to see if adams can play a solid game thats essentially not on a slip and slide before deciding he's the LT of the future.

no one had any footing on that field

Ernie
12-09-2013, 08:49 PM
i'll wait to see if adams can play a solid game thats essentially not on a slip and slide before deciding he's the LT of the future.

no one had any footing on that field

plus 1... when I think of Adams I think of the Minnesota Vikings and Jared Allen. it was the single worst performance by a Pittsburg Steeler offensive lineman.. for as long as I can remember. Im holding out hope for the guy, but he clearly has a long ways to go.

Oviedo
12-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Adams is not the answer at LT right now. There are 4 guys in the draft who could probably step in and play better than he has at LT. We need to take one of them.

SidSmythe
12-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Adams is not the answer at LT right now. There are 4 guys in the draft who could probably step in and play better than he has at LT. We need to take one of them.

Here's how I see it. BEN isn't 25 anymore. He needs a Legit LT to finish off his career.

Discipline of Steel
12-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Here's how I see it. BEN isn't 25 anymore. He needs a Legit LT to finish off his career.

Seriously!

squidkid
12-10-2013, 01:13 AM
You must have an ax to grind because you are refusing to acknowledge what he does in the passing game. You are looking at a rookie running back running behind a hodgepodge OL and using that to call him well below average.

ok, you win. he's a great rb. probably HOF. would have easily set the single season record for rushing yds if he had a good oline.
Feel better?

flippy
12-10-2013, 02:24 AM
i know the board consensus is we need a LT, but i don't think thats gonna improve the team the most. id say a big WR, TE, NT, ROLB, and CB are more important. i can live with beachum. we can get by at a lot of these positions. we just have to take bpa every round and not reach for specific position. thats how we get in trouble.

Ernie
12-10-2013, 05:01 AM
i know the board consensus is we need a LT, but i don't think thats gonna improve the team the most. id say a big WR, TE, NT, ROLB, and CB are more important. i can live with beachum. we can get by at a lot of these positions. we just have to take bpa every round and not reach for specific position. thats how we get in trouble.

That's how a lot of teams get into trouble flip. just look at the skins with RGIII... mortgaged away their future for the ultimate reach... and now they are 3-10 in his second season.

Slapstick
12-10-2013, 09:36 AM

I have always subscribed to this theory...NFL franchises should play the proverbial long game...if you do so, more often than not, you put yourself in position to be competitive over the long term...not a short term gain/long term loss position...

When need and BPA dovetail (ie. DeCastro), it works out perfectly...

When you spend a 4th on a long term BPA (ie. Landry Jones), you are playing the long game...but, people will complain as if a 4th round player would have saved this season....

Shawn
12-10-2013, 09:45 AM
ok, you win. he's a great rb. probably HOF. would have easily set the single season record for rushing yds if he had a good oline.
Feel better?

Just a run of the mill honest evaluation would be nice.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-10-2013, 09:49 AM
nobody said landry jones was going to save the season.

it was a dumb pick considering all of the holes on this roster. Gradkowski was on a 3 year deal and a competent backup. Absolutely no need to waste a 4th on his backup. There were plenty of more pressing needs as we have seen this year.

and calling him BPA in the 4th is pretty stupid. Most sites had him rated at least a round lower.

Shawn
12-10-2013, 09:51 AM

The 3 positions that could improve this team day 1, are LT, NT, and DB...possibly FS depending on Golden's development.

The problem? I'm not sold on Nix-NT, and the guy from TN is not an immediate solution, not sure he is better than what we already have. So, unless the Steelers see something I don't...NT in the first is out. Ha Ha from Bama is interesting...certainly on the radar. Dennard from MSU might just be the best DB in this draft. He is really impressive. I think he is a day 1 starter.

But, IMO your best bang for the buck is LT because you improve 3 positions. Instantly a franchise LT gives our talented RB room to run which will only help Ben. Not, to mention giving Ben time to be Ben.

Shawn
12-10-2013, 09:53 AM

it was a dumb pick considering all of the holes on this roster. Gradkowski was on a 3 year deal and a competent backup. Absolutely no need to waste a 4th on his backup. There were plenty of more pressing needs as we have seen this year.

and calling him BPA in the 4th is pretty stupid. Most sites had him rated at least a round lower.

I honestly believe the Steelers scouts seen a future starter in Jones. I don't believe they are grooming Ben's back up.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-10-2013, 09:54 AM
shawn- if you are talking about mcullers from TN, the steelers should stay away from him. I have heard he tried to quit the team with a month to go in the season. He is just a big body, nothing more.

I have seen a couple of beat writers say the exact opposite. If landry jones is the steelers starter we are back to mediocrity or worse.

Shawn
12-10-2013, 09:55 AM
I have always subscribed to this theory...NFL franchises should play the proverbial long game...if you do so, more often than not, you put yourself in position to be competitive over the long term...not a short term gain/long term loss position...

When need and BPA dovetail (ie. DeCastro), it works out perfectly...

When you spend a 4th on a long term BPA (ie. Landry Jones), you are playing the long game...but, people will complain as if a 4th round player would have saved this season....

Exactly. They want to give Jones 3 seasons to develop. They took a shot on a kid with a big accurate arm who was very productive in college. Just about all QBs are a crap shoot, Jones is no different. But, he has all the physical tools to be great. I guess we will see if the gamble pays off. It could look like a genius pick in a few years.

Shawn
12-10-2013, 09:58 AM
shawn- if you are talking about mcullers from TN, the steelers should stay away from him. I have heard he tried to quit the team with a month to go in the season. He is just a big body, nothing more.

I have seen a couple of beat writers say the exact opposite. If landry jones is the steelers starter we are back to mediocrity or worse.

I agree about McCullers. This crop of NTs are slim pickins. As for Jones, I don't much care about beat writers opinions. Jones was seen as a possible replacement to Ben in the future. To say he will be great or crap is premature. I like the kid, like his arm...like the growth we seen in a short preseason...but he has a LONG ways to go. They rolled the dice...lets see if it works out.

papillon
12-10-2013, 10:15 AM

4th quarter..

No, then everyone would be p1ssing and moaning that it's a passing league and asking why the steelers are giving the ball to a rookie back 25-27 times a game, even if they win the game.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Nix would make a good addition but he isn't Top 10 to me. I think with the knee surgery & the possible "weigh in" he is outside the Top 20. It is hard to find a true NT in this draft. Nix is definitely one but I think Ryan Carrethers may be another & he is a 4th-5th round kid at best right now.

Oviedo
12-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Nix would make a good addition but he isn't Top 10 to me. I think with the knee surgery & the possible "weigh in" he is outside the Top 20. It is hard to find a true NT in this draft. Nix is definitely one but I think Ryan Carrethers may be another & he is a 4th-5th round kid at best right now.

A NT being "hard to find" is what makes the long term sustainability of the 3-4 questionable. As we have seen after Hampton, they are very, very hard to find and if you do find one you are going to have to pay through the nose to keep him. I would not take Nix in the Top 10 either.

Slapstick
12-10-2013, 07:56 PM

No, nobody said that Jones would save the season...

But, some people imply that a different player, available in the 4th round, selected instead of Jones, would be the ticket to the playoffs...

Slapstick
12-10-2013, 08:07 PM
BTW:

CBS Sports rated him in the 3rd round
NFL.com rated him as a 2nd round QB
NFLdraftscout.com = rd 3-4
NFLsfuture.com= rd 3-4
Walterfootball.com = rd 2

Just a few...

Eddie Spaghetti
12-10-2013, 08:12 PM
some people(me) are implying that we had no business spending a 4th on a long term project at the backup QB position.

wouldn't it be nice to have a CB,FS,ILB, or possibly a TE already in the system and preparing to help this team next year?

there were way too many holes up and down the roster as we have seen this year. Nobody said that player would be the "ticket to the playoffs", that's your hyperbole. Don't cry when our selection comes up in the top 10 of the 3rd round and cleveland walks to the podium. We could have just as easily used our own 4th on shark and retained our 3rd next year. Backup backup QBs are non essential and can be found on the waiver wire.

Slapstick
12-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Short term gain, long term loss...

Shawn
12-10-2013, 10:28 PM
some people(me) are implying that we had no business spending a 4th on a long term project at the backup QB position.

wouldn't it be nice to have a CB,FS,ILB, or possibly a TE already in the system and preparing to help this team next year?

there were way too many holes up and down the roster as we have seen this year. Nobody said that player would be the "ticket to the playoffs", that's your hyperbole. Don't cry when our selection comes up in the top 10 of the 3rd round and cleveland walks to the podium. We could have just as easily used our own 4th on shark and retained our 3rd next year. Backup backup QBs are non essential and can be found on the waiver wire.

And if Ben drops off or has a career ending injury in the next couple years, fans would ask why weren't the Steelers developing someone? With this OL, didn't the Steeler see this coming? Personally, I am glad they are working on a replacement for Ben in the future.

Oviedo
12-10-2013, 10:34 PM
No, nobody said that Jones would save the season...

But, some people imply that a different player, available in the 4th round, selected instead of Jones, would be the ticket to the playoffs...

If Jones develops over the next few years a a potentially solid starter the 4th round pick will be a steal as opposed to burning a Round 1 or 2 pick because we are desperate and have to have someone immediately. The front office took the wise position of taking someone with upside who through a more measured approach they will have a very good feel about when Ben gets to within a year or so of retirement. That will potentially save them from reacting versus the course they are now on. QB is the most important position in the NFL nowadays and we got at best a solid starter and at worst a good #2 for a less than premium pick. If you were honest you would have to recognize that as value if you put aside your agendas.

You are right though that some want to portray getting an unnamed player with that 4th round pick would have somehow added 3-4 wins this year or next.

Shawn
12-10-2013, 10:37 PM
If Jones develops over the next few years a a potentially solid starter the 4th round pick will be a steal as opposed to burning a Round 1 or 2 pick because we are desperate and have to have someone immediately. The front office took the wise position of taking someone with upside who through a more measured approach they will have a very good feel about when Ben gets to within a year or so of retirement. That will potentially save them from reacting versus the course they are now on. QB is the most important position in the NFL nowadays and we got at best a solid starter and at worst a good #2 for a less than premium pick. If you were honest you would have to recognize that as value if you put aside your agendas.

You are right though that some want to portray getting an unnamed player with that 4th round pick would have somehow added 3-4 wins this year or next.

Well said. I still think Jones was a steal in the 4th.

squidkid
12-10-2013, 10:41 PM
BTW:

CBS Sports rated him in the 3rd round
NFL.com rated him as a 2nd round QB
NFLdraftscout.com = rd 3-4
NFLsfuture.com= rd 3-4
Walterfootball.com = rd 2

Just a few...

and every team in the nfl had him ranked lower than were we picked him...........

Eddie Spaghetti
12-10-2013, 10:44 PM
seems the blowhards want it both ways. They decry the lack of talent at multiple positions, but defend a 3rd string backup QB.

keep your mouths shut come april.

Slapstick
12-11-2013, 07:14 AM
and every team in the nfl had him ranked lower than were we picked him...........

Every team in the NFL had almost every draft pick ranked lower than where we picked them...that argument makes no sense...every NFL team also had a bunch of 49ers draft picks ranked lower that where the 49ers selected....

Slapstick
12-11-2013, 07:14 AM
seems the blowhards want it both ways. They decry the lack of talent at multiple positions, but defend a 3rd string backup QB.

Funny. You are one of the biggest blowhards on the board...

Shawn
12-11-2013, 08:22 AM

Blowhards...lol. Its called people with an opinion other than yourself. You do realize the Steelers are one injury from losing their franchise QB, right? You do realize he isn't a spring chicken right? So, when a second round talent drops to the fourth then its a reasonable move to draft him.

steelblood
12-11-2013, 08:32 AM
I liked lotulelei as well Flip, would have been a great fit. But something tells me the Tomlin/Colbert connection seemed bent on Jones so as to save face and or justify letting James walk ?

However with that said, i think Jones could pan out when and if he becomes more comfortable and plays with a great deal more aggression.

Nix is a good player. But, he is not much of a pass rusher, and he has ended both of the last seasons with injuries. It is hard to take a DL in the top ten who does not get after the QB in today's NFL.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-11-2013, 09:15 AM
I don't have a problem with Jones in the 4th. We needed to get younger there & the reason that pick gets criticized is hindsight after injuries. He may develop into a very good #2 but he certainly has the physical skills to become a good starter. His ceiling is in question from the neck up.

feltdizz
12-11-2013, 11:28 AM

you are the main one blowing...

win or lose you sound miserable...

all you do is complain about the same thing over and over and over again. You hate the QB pick last year... we got it the 50th time you typed it.

feltdizz
12-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Blowhards...lol. Its called people with an opinion other than yourself. You do realize the Steelers are one injury from losing their franchise QB, right? You do realize he isn't a spring chicken right? So, when a second round talent drops to the fourth then its a reasonable move to draft him.

He is consistent... lol.

RuthlessBurgher
12-11-2013, 01:40 PM
If we wasted a 4th round pick taking Landry Jones when we already had Roethlisberger, does that mean that New England really wasted a 3rd round pick taking Ryan Mallett when they already had Brady, and does that mean that Denver really, really wasted a 2nd round pick taking Brock Osweiler when they already had Peyton?

flippy
12-11-2013, 01:50 PM
If we wasted a 4th round pick taking Landry Jones when we already had Roethlisberger, does that mean that New England really wasted a 3rd round pick taking Ryan Mallett when they already had Brady, and does that mean that Denver really, really wasted a 2nd round pick taking Brock Osweiler when they already had Peyton?

In fairness, Denver and NE didn't already have a Gradkowski on their rosters with an extended contract.

phillyesq
12-11-2013, 02:02 PM

I am ok with investing a pick as a backup QB, but I wasn't thrilled by the selection of Jones as that guy. He looked awful in the preseason and I have still yet to see a report that says anything positive about his work in practice or otherwise. Jones was also questionable from a value standpoint. Was he any better than the kid from Tulane or Miami of Ohio? Any better than McGloin? Tyler Bray? Selecting Jones there just seemed like a poor value. Especially when considering that the Steelers gave up an early third round pick in 2014 for Schmarko.

steelz09
12-11-2013, 03:05 PM
I am ok with investing a pick as a backup QB, but I wasn't thrilled by the selection of Jones as that guy. He looked awful in the preseason and I have still yet to see a report that says anything positive about his work in practice or otherwise. Jones was also questionable from a value standpoint. Was he any better than the kid from Tulane or Miami of Ohio? Any better than McGloin? Tyler Bray? Selecting Jones there just seemed like a poor value. Especially when considering that the Steelers gave up an early third round pick in 2014 for Schmarko.

Why do you thinks Jones was poor value. His career at Oklahoma would not indicate 'poor value'.

phillyesq
12-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Why do you thinks Jones was poor value. His career at Oklahoma would not indicate 'poor value'.

He seemed to be a guy that struggled with pressure - not what you want with a backup QB. Also, I think he was a poor value because I don't think there was much to separate his potential as an NFL QB from any of the other guys I listed in my post.

ikestops85
12-11-2013, 05:40 PM

I don't think we wasted the pick taking Jones. I think we wasted the pick getting rid of Hoyer and being forced to take someone like Jones.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-11-2013, 06:41 PM
all you do is complain about the same thing over and over and over again. You hate the QB pick last year... we got it the 50th time you typed it.

says the guy with 11,000 posts.

I'm sure all of those 11,000 were original.

look in the mirror old timer

feltdizz
12-11-2013, 09:59 PM
says the guy with 11,000 posts.

I'm sure all of those 11,000 were original.

look in the mirror old timer

Blow harder... lol

Rod Polamalu
12-12-2013, 02:43 AM
Nix is a good player. But, he is not much of a pass rusher, and he has ended both of the last seasons with injuries. It is hard to take a DL in the top ten who does not get after the QB in today's NFL.

You have a valid point in regards to the injuries Blood. However i feel as though Nix does indeed have the talent, skill set and will to be the spearhead of our defense. As a 3-4 NT's job is to control his gap, dominate the point of attack, demand a double team every down and pressure and or collapse the pocket with consistency.

He is not necessarily there to get after the QB in a "sexy" manner in terms of sacks.

That is the job of the LB corp,...which is made easier to do so because the DE's then have the potential to be very effective against the run while absorbing blockers because of the aforementioned performance by said NT.

It's also my opinion that Nix is the only NT prospect of this draft with the proper temperment to play in a 3-4. He is aggressive, confident and not lazy.

Rod Polamalu
12-12-2013, 02:55 AM
A NT being "hard to find" is what makes the long term sustainability of the 3-4 questionable. As we have seen after Hampton, they are very, very hard to find and if you do find one you are going to have to pay through the nose to keep him. I would not take Nix in the Top 10 either.

So which OT would you take in the top ten to cater to a Qb that for the most part of his career has (and it appears always will) struggle to lead offenses that put up actual points ? And just merely at best somewhat consistently perform successfully between the 20 yard lines even with solid O-line play,... and in the past exceptional receivers and a TE to bail him out with improvisation and YAC.

I feel where you are coming from dude,....but i gotta say go defense.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-12-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't like any of the defensive prospects for the Steelers that they may have a shot at in the Top 15. That may change as underclassman declare...But I will pass on D.

birtikidis
12-12-2013, 11:32 AM
I had a dream that we were gunning for an ILB from Tennessee and the team before us took him. We ended up trading back and ended up with Nix and either purifoy or benjamin (My dream was like I was watching a highlight reel and the only players in it were Purifoy and Benjamin).

Oviedo
12-12-2013, 12:57 PM
I don't like any of the defensive prospects for the Steelers that they may have a shot at in the Top 15. That may change as underclassman declare...But I will pass on D.

I agree. That is why I think we go OT or the best WR. As much as we need TE, no one worth taking in the Top 10-15. Only defensive position I see that would help us in the Top 10 (unless we go 4-3) is Cornerback but that could be a reach.

flippy
12-12-2013, 05:50 PM
What do you guys think of Jace Amaro if he declares? He's probably a guy that should go in the 10-15 range maybe higher. He's a TE, but might be the best WR in this year's class.

He'd be a big go to target for Ben. Not sure he's ready to play inline as a blocking TE, but he has the size to develop over time. Having him on the field with Heath would definitely take pressure off the outside WRs and help open up more room for Bell in the running game.

I think he could be one of the biggest impact picks we could make depending on where we select. Looks like he has great hands, can go get a ball that's in his vicinity, and runs pretty well in the open field.

fezziwig
12-12-2013, 06:40 PM
You can argue we need a left tackle over a corner, over a nose tackle and you can argue we need a corner or nose tackle over a tackle or what ever scenario you want and all would be correct. The most correct point of all of this is, our front office or picks have not been working out. They kept guys around too long and now with age/injuries or salaries, we are off the scale with what we need. We actually need two corners, a strong and weak safety along with nose tackle and left tackle. Our draft picks haven't been panning out and until we get some sleepers in the draft that step up or free agency signings it doesn't matter who we draft or what position the Steelers go for this up an coming draft season.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-13-2013, 11:40 AM
What do you guys think of Jace Amaro if he declares? He's probably a guy that should go in the 10-15 range maybe higher. He's a TE, but might be the best WR in this year's class.

He'd be a big go to target for Ben. Not sure he's ready to play inline as a blocking TE, but he has the size to develop over time. Having him on the field with Heath would definitely take pressure off the outside WRs and help open up more room for Bell in the running game.

I think he could be one of the biggest impact picks we could make depending on where we select. Looks like he has great hands, can go get a ball that's in his vicinity, and runs pretty well in the open field.

I think Amaro will end up being the top rated TE if he declares. I think he is a 18-23 kid. I would have Ebron mid to late 20's & Seferian-Jenkins late 1st. I think Seferian-Jenkins is the better all around TE ala Miller. Since the Steelers have Miller here for 2-3 more years...They could take Amaro & Ebron and work on their inline blocking. However, Amaro & Ebron may never get to that "complete" status as an inline guy. Seferian-Jenkins may not be as athletic as Amaro & Ebron but he could still do the same things as a receiver. If you work under center more & deploy 2 TE sets from within the box...Seferian-Jenkins is your guy. If you run out of shotgun & deploy 1 &2 sets with #2 spread...Amaro & Ebron will fit better.

Chucktownsteeler
12-14-2013, 01:38 PM
1.) LT, 2.) NT, 3.) Traded to Cleveland for Shamarko

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-14-2013, 01:52 PM
1.) LT, 2.) NT, 3.) Traded to Cleveland for Shamarko

We will probably receive a comp 3 for the Wallace signing, and then another comp 4 or 5 for the Lewis departure.

squidkid
12-14-2013, 03:54 PM
latest talk seems to be how much the steelers like beachum. hopefully they see him as our future LT so we can focus our attention on wr, te, cb and s.

see my sig.

Ernie
12-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Amaro is a beast. Miller/Amaro could be a top tier tandem... and bring much needed life to an under achieving offense.

When you look at all of the steelers' needs, you don't necessary think tight end with Pick 1, but I think they could do much worse than Amaro.

Rara
12-15-2013, 06:06 AM
This is who I'd like in this order (if one isn't there, then the next one..and so forth):

Sammy Watkins
Taylor Lewan
Mike Evans
Darqueze Dennard
Louis Nix