PDA

View Full Version : Steelers RB Bell Feels 'Lucky' After Big Hit, Dwyer thinks Steelers are still in it

SteelCrazy
12-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Le'Veon Bell knows it could have been worse.

The Pittsburgh Steelers rookie running back considers himself "lucky" he sustained nothing worse than a concussion after taking a big hit from Baltimore defensive back Jimmy Smith at the goal line of Thursday's 22-20 loss to the Ravens.

Bell was attempting to bring Pittsburgh within a 2-point conversion late in the fourth quarter when he crashed into Smith. The collision jarred Bell's helmet loose. By rule, the play was ruled dead immediately, nullifying an apparent touchdown.

Turns out, not scoring was the least of Bell's worries. He acknowledged Monday he was "out of it a little bit" as trainers took him off the field and wasn't aware the touchdown was negated until much later. Pittsburgh scored on the following play but couldn't execute the 2-point conversion, falling to 5-7 with a month left in the regular season.

Bell was able to run on Monday but held out of full practice. He has taken the ImPACT test under NFL guidelines and it's unclear if he'll be available for Sunday's game against Miami (6-6).

Having 10 days between games could give Bell enough time to heal. But the 21-year-old is simply thankful he didn't leave the field on a stretcher.

"I'm glad that nothing seriously wrong happened," he said. "It was definitely an ugly hit. I don't remember the exact play. But once I seen the film, I know what it looks like now."

Bell leads the Steelers with 528 yards rushing and five touchdowns. He is also fifth on the team with 33 receptions. Taken in the second round of the 2013 draft because of his versatility, he has given Pittsburgh's struggling running game some needed stability.

If Bell can't play, the Steelers will turn to Jonathan Dwyer or Felix Jones when they face the Dolphins. Whoever is in the backfield will play behind an offensive line that can't seem to stay healthy.

Pittsburgh lost center Fernando Velasco for the season with an Achilles injury, making him the second center to end the year on injured reserve. Perennial Pro Bowler Maurkice Pouncey played just eight snaps this season before tearing the ACL in his right knee.

Guard David DeCastro (foot), left tackle Kelvin Beachum (knee) and reserve tackle Mike Adams (ankle) are also hurt, forcing the Steelers to scramble to find five healthy linemen for practice on Monday. They signed well-traveled center Eric Olsen and tackle Rashad Butler on Saturday, though Butler's stay was short-lived after he left the team on Monday due to "personal reasons."

Cody Wallace, signed for depth purposes in September, anticipates making the first start of his NFL career against the Dolphins. If he starts, the Steelers will have their seventh different starting line combination this season.

"This year has been kind of unusual in that way," Wallace said. "But we're fortunate to have enough guys to step in and make an impact after the starter got hurt. I'm glad to be part of that group, too, but this really has been an interesting year in that regard."

Pittsburgh's unlikely hopes for a playoff berth remain alive after losses by San Diego, the New York Jets and Tennessee on Sunday. If the Steelers can win out — they face just one team with a winning record the rest of the way — and get a dash of help, they could find their way from 0-4 to the postseason.

"We're still in this thing," Dwyer said. "It's crazy. You know the things we wanted to happen this past weekend, they happened. We know if we start stacking wins, we'll see things work out our way."

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/steelers-rb-bell-feels-lucky-big-hit-21072942

NorthCoast
12-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Got real mixed feelings on this one. If, by some miracle the Steelers squeek into the playoffs it could be a very embarassing one-and-done against the top seed. However, would like to see Tomlin avoid his first losing season of his HC career though.

skyhawk
12-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Where was the fine from Goodell this week for the head shot?

skyhawk
12-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Playoffs?

Playoffs??

Playoffs???

steelz09
12-03-2013, 12:27 AM
We are definitely still in the hunt and our schedule is promising....

I'm trying to be optimistic but our secondary is so bad that I don't think we can win out.

Also, we have only beat 2 teams with winning records. Baltimore and the Lions.

skyhawk
12-03-2013, 12:32 AM
We are definitely still in the hunt and our schedule is promising....

I'm trying to be optimistic but our secondary is so bad that I don't think we can win out.

Also, we have only beat 2 teams with winning records. Baltimore and the Lions.

Watching the Seahawks secondary tonight really makes our D backfield look paltry. I really think the Hawks passing D is the best in the past 20 years. Up there with the Steelers passing D's of the past 10 years.

steelz09
12-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Watching the Seahawks secondary tonight really makes our D backfield look paltry. I really think the Hawks passing D is the best in the past 20 years. Up there with the Steelers passing D's of the past 10 years.

Watching the Seahawks D with 'slow motion' on my TV enabled == Watching the Steelers D in full speed

Seriously though... they play FAST.

skyhawk
12-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Watching the Seahawks D with 'slow motion' on my TV enabled == Watching the Steelers D in full speed

Seriously though... they play FAST.

Really fast. And no 10 yards cushions. Manning up every time.

Shoe
12-03-2013, 01:32 AM
This is your year, skyhawk. If you guys don't go "resting" guys at Week 14, you should get to the SB (with this home-field advantage). Then, in a snowy SB, with this defense, it should be your 1st SB championship.

skyhawk
12-03-2013, 02:20 AM
[QUOTE=Shoe;584951]This is your year, skyhawk. If you guys don't go "resting" guys at Week 14, you should get to the SB (with this home-field advantage). Then, in a snowy SB, with this defense, it should be your 1st SB championship.[/QUOTE

HAHA! 35 year die hard Steelers fan here stuck in Seahawks country. It says that near my name because since the Hawks first win this seaons the SB has been a foregone conclusion. So it was tongue in cheek. I am so sick of hawks fans harassing me since the 2005 SB (even now). Frikin crybaby's all of em! I wanna see em lose again and see them cry and find any other excuse!

Then again I want them to win it so they will STFU!

That said, this team looks like the complete team! I am thoroughly impressed!

Shoe
12-05-2013, 01:30 AM
[QUOTE=Shoe;584951]This is your year, skyhawk. If you guys don't go "resting" guys at Week 14, you should get to the SB (with this home-field advantage). Then, in a snowy SB, with this defense, it should be your 1st SB championship.[/QUOTE

HAHA! 35 year die hard Steelers fan here stuck in Seahawks country. It says that near my name because since the Hawks first win this seaons the SB has been a foregone conclusion. So it was tongue in cheek. I am so sick of hawks fans harassing me since the 2005 SB (even now). Frikin crybaby's all of em! I wanna see em lose again and see them cry and find any other excuse!

Then again I want them to win it so they will STFU!

That said, this team looks like the complete team! I am thoroughly impressed!

I'm not doubting your Steeler allegiance... but you can't tell me you won't feel a bit of satisfaction, seeing the first championship come to the Pacific NW in quite a while.

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2013, 01:24 AM
Steelers rookie RB Bell gets respect from teammates, foes alike

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=DlE7x jBi3isZZdaT9evEfM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsFJaZq8dvUsSA 5gTaT4_$YWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

The most impressive of Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell's statistics aren't his yards gained, passes caught or tackles broken.

They are these: Helmets broken, 1. Respect earned, immeasurable.

The effort the rookie displayed while getting into the end zone despite a helmet-removing hit last week in Baltimore resulted not in a touchdown, but a concussion.

But while a review took Bell's touchdown away because his helmet came off as Jimmy Smith and Courtney Upshaw hit him simultaneously, Torrey Smith and other Ravens players took to Twitter within hours to wish Bell well and pass along their respect.

Quite the contrast from Rashard Mendenhall's rookie year. A few days after he angered the Ravens with some pregame comments, Ray Lewis ended his season with a hit so hard it broke his shoulder.

“It's always good to have other guys from other teams wishing you luck and hoping you're all right,” Bell said Thursday. “So it's a great rivalry, but there's also respect.”

There's even more from his own team.

“A guy like that, you have to respect him,” Jonathan Dwyer said. “He told us before that play he was going to get in, and he got it. It's just unfortunate it (the touchdown) got taken away.”

Bell's rookie season has been interrupted by knee and foot injuries during training camp that delayed his NFL debut for nearly a month and now a concussion. He is passing his daily tests and expects to play Sunday against the Miami Dolphins (6-6).

Despite the multiple setbacks, Bell leads AFC rookies in rushing with 528 yards. He also has 319 yards receiving for a combined 847 yards.

“If you have a guy back there that is a big dog, he gives you a chance to be multi-dimensional,” offensive coordinator Todd Haley said.

It's exactly what the Steelers expected when they passed over the higher-profile Eddie Lacy of Alabama to draft Bell in the second round.

With four games remaining, Bell is within reach of the Steelers record for rushing and receiving yards by a rookie running back set by Franco Harris with 1,235 yards (1,055 rushing, 180 receiving) in 1972.

“I think they're more confident in me. I feel like I've shown them enough to be confident in me in different situations,” Bell said of being used as a runner and a pass catcher. “Me being a younger guy, at first they're not going to trust me with everything. They're going to ease me into it. Slowly but surely I'm trying to get more comfortable on the offense, and the offensive players are more comfortable with me.”

Haley agreed, saying, “I'm not going to start carving the bust for Canton. But at the same time, we've been excited about him since Day 1 with the things he has shown us, the attitude, his development. He had some setbacks, and he handled them in a positive manner.”

Bell is showing no hesitancy to play again after what initially looked to be a serious injury that, he believes, occurred not when his helmet was broken but when he landed hard in the end zone with no head protection.

“As a running back, you can't think about getting hit because I'm going to get hit regardless. If I'm worried about getting hit, I'm not going to be effective as a runner,” Bell said. “There are going to be tough hits, and that's not the hardest hit I've been hit. I'm sure it won't be the hardest I'll get hit. I'm sure I'll get hit harder. That's something I have to get used to, and I'm glad I'm OK.”

So are the Steelers.

And the Ravens.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5196620-74/bell-hit-yards#ixzz2mfK3CdF3

Shawn
12-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Got to respect the guy. Looking at the stats between him and Lacy, considering less PT and the Steelers OL...they are close. I think both guys are going to be productive in this league with Bell being the more well rounded of the two. I think Bell is going to become one of Ben's favorite targets. I think he will be the new Heath Miller in the sense that when Ben is in trouble or he needs a big first, he will look Bells way...sure hands...gets open...runs good routes...hard to tackle in the open field.

Sugar
12-06-2013, 08:20 AM
What Bell has been able to accomplish thus far has been impressive- and needed. He's like the Steelers version of Marshall Faulk (dangerous via run and catch). That he is within striking distance of Franco's rookie record is a testament to him. Though Harris did it in a shorter overall season, Bell's injuries have leveled that playing field a bit.