PDA

View Full Version : Great Job by the Offensive Line

phillyesq
11-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Much maligned unit, but Ben was clean all day. Not only that, they ran effectively when they needed to against a pretty solid Browns front. Very good effort from the line in all phases.

Slapstick
11-24-2013, 05:55 PM
I concur. (Do you concur? I should've concurred!)

fordfixer
11-24-2013, 06:08 PM
I concur. (Do you concur? I should've concurred!)
I concurs also x2

Iron City Inc.
11-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Mike Adams on run plays is a road grader. If he can work on his pass blocking we may have something. He finishes his blocks and that is good to see. I hope he learns to bend his knees because Ben with even a little time is money.

Jooser
11-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Concur to the third power....

tjs1974
11-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Also Ben was not sacked once today for the first time this season!!!!

Ghost
11-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Ben routinely had time today. It'd be nice to see that become a trend.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-24-2013, 06:37 PM
good getting foster back.

nice effort from everyone

pittpete
11-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Nice he had time
Unfortunate we couldn't make a 3rd and 1 and a 4th and 1

SteelBuckeye
11-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Nice he had time
Unfortunate we couldn't make a 3rd and 1 and a 4th and 1

And yet we won .... put on your happy face Eeyore :D

Iron City Inc.
11-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Didn't like Bell coming out late in game for Dwyer. Not sure what to make of that.

Sugar
11-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Mike Adams on run plays is a road grader. If he can work on his pass blocking we may have something. He finishes his blocks and that is good to see. I hope he learns to bend his knees because Ben with even a little time is money.

Did you see him push Bell an additional three yards over the body of a Browns defender when it looked like he was stuffed in the 4th? :tt2

flippy
11-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Didn't get to see the game. Who stood out on the OLine and why?

I did see there were no sacks. I'm kinda shocked about that one because Cleveland has a good front 7 and can cover. What happened?

phillyesq
11-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Didn't like Bell coming out late in game for Dwyer. Not sure what to make of that.

At that point, I think they were giving it to Dwyer to let him take the pounding. The game was pretty much out of hand, so no harm in letting Dwyer take the hits.

NorthCoast
11-24-2013, 10:56 PM
At that point, I think they were giving it to Dwyer to let him take the pounding. The game was pretty much out of hand, so no harm in letting Dwyer take the hits.

I agree. Bell will be needed on Thursday so they probably were trying to limit his time in mop up.

Eich
11-25-2013, 09:10 AM
They mentioned on the broadcast that Velasco has been playing BETTER than Pouncey !! Could Pouncey have lost his starting job at CENTER and end up being moved elsewhere?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Chemistry. Only way it gets better is with snaps. You all are witness to it. Individuals get better as the unit plays together.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Did you see him push Bell an additional three yards over the body of a Browns defender when it looked like he was stuffed in the 4th? :tt2

Adams is just playing football by attacking. That is what the staff wants him to do. If he gets another shot at LT...That's what he needs to do. Think with his feet.

Oviedo
11-25-2013, 09:56 AM
They mentioned on the broadcast that Velasco has been playing BETTER than Pouncey !! Could Pouncey have lost his starting job at CENTER and end up being moved elsewhere?

Maybe they keep Velasco at Center and move Pouncey to Left Guard if they even decide to resign him given his recurring injury problems. He is going to ask for a ton and not sure I would pay that to keep Pouncey.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-25-2013, 10:18 AM
You give Velasco a Foster deal of 3yr / 6 mil to remain here & back up Pouncey. Interior swing on gamedays. No reason he can't remain with Pouncey on roster.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-25-2013, 10:39 AM
You give Velasco a Foster deal of 3yr / 6 mil to remain here & back up Pouncey. Interior swing on gamedays. No reason he can't remain with Pouncey on roster.

Why would you want Velasco as a backup to Pouncey if he's playing better than Pouncey? And why would Velasco want to sign to be a backup? The league knows he's starter material--so does he.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Adams is just playing football by attacking. That is what the staff wants him to do. If he gets another shot at LT...That's what he needs to do. Think with his feet.

Although, RT is more of an attacking position than LT. LT is more "read and react". I think that as of now, Adams would be much more suited for the right side than the left.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Why would you want Velasco as a backup to Pouncey if he's playing better than Pouncey? And why would Velasco want to sign to be a backup? The league knows he's starter material--so does he.

I've been saying this for well over a year, so I am not suddenly bashing a starter who is now out but...Pouncey is nowhere near as good as his accolades would suggest. He is easily the most overrated player on this team. He is average at best, and Velasco is playing at least as well, if not better.

I have said several times but I try to lock up Velasco in the 3 year - $7-8M range, with a cap hit around $2M or so for next year. I have read a few mixed things wrt Pouncey's contract for next year. It looks like he is due some sort of roster bonus, but not sure the amount. What I am pretty sure about is that the cap savings from cutting him is somewhere between $3.4M - $4.2M. I would take that savings for Velasco in a heartbeat.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-25-2013, 11:08 AM

Velasco is playing good football but he isn't Pouncey. Velasco was playing good football with the Titans & he was on the street after his release. Most C's in the league are there because of limitations. When a "Pouncey" comes along... You try & hold on to them. Those "Velasco" types of Cs always become expendable after the draft. Velasco knows that story. Just ask him who Brian Schwenke is. As far as a contract, Every player in this league doesn't look for the biggest paycheck. Velasco may have found a home here & he would be happy with his role. He will be a 29 year old C. Do you think someone out there will pay him 3-4 mil a yr to be a starter? You can get a 22 year old in the 3rd or 4th round for 4 yr / 3 mil.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Although, RT is more of an attacking position than LT. LT is more "read and react". I think that as of now, Adams would be much more suited for the right side than the left.
I'm not talking positions. Attacking is a term to reference playing on the balls of your feet & not your heels. Once Adams started getting beat he was playing defensive & that is trouble.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-25-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm not talking positions. Attacking is a term to reference playing on the balls of your feet & not your heels. Once Adams started getting beat he was playing defensive & that is trouble.

I agree, but I also believe that he has more of a makeup to be a RT, as opposed to a LT.

Oviedo
11-25-2013, 11:32 AM
I've been saying this for well over a year, so I am not suddenly bashing a starter who is now out but...Pouncey is nowhere near as good as his accolades would suggest. He is easily the most overrated player on this team. He is average at best, and Velasco is playing at least as well, if not better.

I have said several times but I try to lock up Velasco in the 3 year - $7-8M range, with a cap hit around $2M or so for next year. I have read a few mixed things wrt Pouncey's contract for next year. It looks like he is due some sort of roster bonus, but not sure the amount. What I am pretty sure about is that the cap savings from cutting him is somewhere between $3.4M - $4.2M. I would take that savings for Velasco in a heartbeat.

I totally agree that Pouncey is overrated. I've said this since he came out from Florida where I watched tons of his game. To his credit he has been solid as a Pro player but no way do I think he is Top 5 in the NFL.

I think they have to sign Velasco as a precaution to Pouncey going Mike Wallace on us and having ridiculous contract demands he isn't worth.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-25-2013, 11:34 AM
I agree, but I also believe that he has more of a makeup to be a RT, as opposed to a LT. That may be the case after it is all said & done. He does have the tools physically to be a LT but they may never be realized if he doesn't become better from the neck up. That isn't a knock on his intelligence...He just has some things to get better at to slow things down. If & When it happens is the question.

Oviedo
11-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Velasco is playing good football but he isn't Pouncey. Velasco was playing good football with the Titans & he was on the street after his release. Most C's in the league are there because of limitations. When a "Pouncey" comes along... You try & hold on to them. Those "Velasco" types of Cs always become expendable after the draft. Velasco knows that story. Just ask him who Brian Schwenke is. As far as a contract, Every player in this league doesn't look for the biggest paycheck. Velasco may have found a home here & he would be happy with his role. He will be a 29 year old C. Do you think someone out there will pay him 3-4 mil a yr to be a starter? You can get a 22 year old in the 3rd or 4th round for 4 yr / 3 mil.

JPN--that 22 year old doesn't have experience and you never know whether he can make it. Velasco gives you both.

Not as sold on Pouncey as you clearly are. He is good and a solid Center but I don't think he is worth what he is likely going to be asking for especially given he is missing multiple games every year.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-25-2013, 11:50 AM
I totally agree that Pouncey is overrated. I've said this since he came out from Florida where I watched tons of his game. To his credit he has been solid as a Pro player but no way do I think he is Top 5 in the NFL.

I think they have to sign Velasco as a precaution to Pouncey going Mike Wallace on us and having ridiculous contract demands he isn't worth.

I do not think the Steelers should break the bank on Pouncey. I don't think he is worth the 7 yr / $50 mil Mangold got right now with his injury. The Steelers may want to see a full productive '14 before the do anything. Problem there is OL franchise numbers is a collective group of positions so the Steelers don't have anything to retain him without a 9-10 mil tag. They could gamble & try to get him at a lower price by extending him before '14. I'm sure they will talk with him & his agent in the offseason. If his price is too high they will let him start '14 on his final year. Might be in the best interest of the Steelers at that point if they think he is unsignable to trade him to the Dolphins in '14. That is why retaining Velasco may be a good idea.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-25-2013, 11:53 AM
JPN--that 22 year old doesn't have experience and you never know whether he can make it. Velasco gives you both.

Not as sold on Pouncey as you clearly are. He is good and a solid Center but I don't think he is worth what he is likely going to be asking for especially given he is missing multiple games every year.You are right...And that's why a Velasco was on the streets. They draft that guy & if he can play the vet hits the streets. If you read my post above...You will see my feelings on Pouncey.

Shawn
11-25-2013, 02:52 PM
I do not think the Steelers should break the bank on Pouncey. I don't think he is worth the 7 yr / $50 mil Mangold got right now with his injury. The Steelers may want to see a full productive '14 before the do anything. Problem there is OL franchise numbers is a collective group of positions so the Steelers don't have anything to retain him without a 9-10 mil tag. They could gamble & try to get him at a lower price by extending him before '14. I'm sure they will talk with him & his agent in the offseason. If his price is too high they will let him start '14 on his final year. Might be in the best interest of the Steelers at that point if they think he is unsignable to trade him to the Dolphins in '14. That is why retaining Velasco may be a good idea.

This is the perfect year to extend Pouncey. And I agree we need to keep him. Coming off a blown knee is a good time to talk some down to earth numbers. I would be thinking in the 5 year/25 million category.

Oviedo
11-25-2013, 03:00 PM
This is the perfect year to extend Pouncey. And I agree we need to keep him. Coming off a blown knee is a good time to talk some down to earth numbers. I would be thinking in the 5 year/25 million category.

He isn't worth much more than that. Really gets down to the guaranteed money and what he is willing to take. Lots of risk for the team given his "brittle" nature. Not sure we would want to "tag" him since the transition and franchise tags for OL at $8.7M and $9.8M respectively. He isn't worth either of those.

flippy
11-25-2013, 03:31 PM
He isn't worth much more than that. Really gets down to the guaranteed money and what he is willing to take. Lots of risk for the team given his "brittle" nature. Not sure we would want to "tag" him since the transition and franchise tags for OL at $8.7M and $9.8M respectively. He isn't worth either of those.

The problem is the Pro Bowls and All Pros. Im sure Pouncey's agent will have him expecting to be one of the best paid linemen in the game.

Oviedo
11-25-2013, 04:17 PM
The problem is the Pro Bowls and All Pros. Im sure Pouncey's agent will have him expecting to be one of the best paid linemen in the game.

I expect that Pouncey will go the route of Mike Wallace and overestimate his value to the team. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pouncey's together in Miami.

costanza2k1
11-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Crazy things happen when you follow the scheme...

NorthCoast
11-25-2013, 09:28 PM

sorry, completely disagree. A probowl center that can't stay healthy (whether his fault or not) for 16 games isn't a probowl center. Velasco has clearly outplayed Pouncey. Velasco is with the team all of 3 months and he already has made strides vs what we get from Pouncey. Put the best players on the field at once, that includes Pouncey at guard if needed.

flippy
11-25-2013, 09:34 PM
One general question about the Oline - do u guys think a lot of our linemen are strong enough? Really the only 2 guys I've seen really push opponents around in the run game are Foster and Adams. DD and Pouncey seem pretty quick and able to get leverage on guys and move them in the right direction.

But I do question how physical some of these guys are? Is Velasco really that good? I think he sometimes looks a little weak at the point of attack. I think he's serviceable, but not great. Especially against some of the bigger interior linemen.

NorthCoast
11-25-2013, 09:51 PM
One general question about the Oline - do u guys think a lot of our linemen are strong enough? Really the only 2 guys I've seen really push opponents around in the run game are Foster and Adams. DD and Pouncey seem pretty quick and able to get leverage on guys and move them in the right direction.

But I do question how physical some of these guys are? Is Velasco really that good? I think he sometimes looks a little weak at the point of attack. I think he's serviceable, but not great. Especially against some of the bigger interior linemen.

That's been the problem since Hartwig left, (and Dawson and Webster). The team seems to favor these light athletic guys, but there is no substitute for a fireplug that can't be moved. Without the strength, these guys need to focus on technique and leverage. Seems that's a skill that takes a while to develop.

feltdizz
11-25-2013, 09:53 PM
sorry, completely disagree. A probowl center that can't stay healthy (whether his fault or not) for 16 games isn't a probowl center. Velasco has clearly outplayed Pouncey. Velasco is with the team all of 3 months and he already has made strides vs what we get from Pouncey. Put the best players on the field at once, that includes Pouncey at guard if needed.

Velasco has clearly outplayed Pouncey? LOL... the only reason you believe this is because you have the typical Steeler microscope on Pouncey.

Those are the number of games every season for Pouncey and are you really going to hold it against him after watching DD dive on him in the open field?

Eddie Spaghetti
11-25-2013, 10:23 PM
steelers need all the cap room they can get going forward.

velasco seems like a gift. If you can get him for half the price (or less) of pouncey, I think you make that move and spend those dollars elsewhere.

I also don't like the idea of moving pouncey to OG either. Just let him walk if you feel velasco is comparable for far less money.

steelsnis
11-26-2013, 10:19 AM
In the last three games (Bills, Lions, Browns), the Steelers O-line has faced three of the best D-linemen in the league. Mario Williams, Ndamakong Suh, and Phil Taylor.

None of those three players registered a single stat in those three games. NOT A SINGLE STAT! No tackles, assists, sacks, etc. That's pretty darn good.

feltdizz
11-26-2013, 11:04 AM
In the last three games (Bills, Lions, Browns), the Steelers O-line has faced three of the best D-linemen in the league. Mario Williams, Ndamakong Suh, and Phil Taylor.

None of those three players registered a single stat in those three games. NOT A SINGLE STAT! No tackles, assists, sacks, etc. That's pretty darn good.

A lot of that credit has to go to Haley, Tomlin and Ben for the uptempo offense...

I'm not sure if we used it as much vs the Browns (I missed the first half)

then again.. not even a tackle or an assist? That's insane... OL definitely gets credit for that stat.

phillyesq
11-26-2013, 11:05 AM

Wow. That is impressive.

I was among the strongest critics of Haley earlier this year, but I think he has to get at least some of the credit for game-planning, along with strong execution by the line.

steelsnis
11-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Wow. That is impressive.

I was among the strongest critics of Haley earlier this year, but I think he has to get at least some of the credit for game-planning, along with strong execution by the line.

Another big test coming Thursday night when they face Ngata. Last game vs. the Ravens, DeCastro and co held Ngata to something like 2 tackles. If they continue this run of good play on Thursday, I'd bet another W is on the way!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-26-2013, 11:53 AM

Shawn, I would not give Pouncey anywhere near that amount, and I also don't believe he would accept it. People say you can't get rid of a PB center, and I can't see him as a PBer. I have not been impressed since he was a rook, and believe that he has coasted on rep since then. OLinemen have always made PBs on rep because it is the one position that voters can't just look at a stat sheet to determine their contributions. So many linemen get in due to "hey, I know that guy, he's pretty good from what I recall". These are the same types of voters who consistently undervalue Ben because he does not put up the fantasy numbers of many other QBs.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-26-2013, 12:14 PM

Sorry...Not close. Velasco has played very good...But Velasco is no Pouncey. Pouncey's level of play is ProBowler...Period. You want to dispute if he is worth the dollars he will command...Fine. No disputing his play.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-26-2013, 12:29 PM
The OL is better because it is developing chemistry. They are logging snaps together. They are growing an understanding of each other & the system. They are getting better because of the experience. This isn't an epiphany. This is just something that happens. Two years into a new OC & 11 games into a new OL coach. Add in the fact that 4 of the 5 starters at the beginning of the season were under 24 & the oldest was 27 (Foster). Where did all of you set the floor for that group? Even now with Adams at TE the age from left to right is 24-27-28-23-25-23...That's a group that has no where to go but up with experience. An OL that plays together grows together. Pouncey in the mix would be headed in the same direction. The encouraging thing is the improvement is obvious and the offense is really benefiting from it. Lets keep it up!

Oviedo
11-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Shawn, I would not give Pouncey anywhere near that amount, and I also don't believe he would accept it. People say you can't get rid of a PB center, and I can't see him as a PBer. I have not been impressed since he was a rook, and believe that he has coasted on rep since then. OLinemen have always made PBs on rep because it is the one position that voters can't just look at a stat sheet to determine their contributions. So many linemen get in due to "hey, I know that guy, he's pretty good from what I recall". These are the same types of voters who consistently undervalue Ben because he does not put up the fantasy numbers of many other QBs.

Pouncey is going to be looking to be one of the highest paid Off Linemen in the NFL. We can't do that for him so I think he will be gone.

IMO Pouncey is the Wallace of the OL...lots of hype but when you look real close you see lots of holes. Someone will overpay for him like they did for Wallace...I just hope it isn't us.

feltdizz
11-26-2013, 01:42 PM

I feel like you are doing the same thing with Pouncey... he started out extremely high and people expected him to elevate his play based on what? DD going down? Mendenhall going down? The LT and TR going down every other game??? ...and Redman and Dwyer as our feature back?

thor75
11-26-2013, 09:56 PM
I agree on the original thought, a great job by the off. line. I didn't really key on Beachum this game, but that move may have helped more than we'll know. And I agree, some continuity by the line will work wonders for them. I think DD has gotten some confidence back, I saw him stonewall a couple dudes.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Pouncey is going to be looking to be one of the highest paid Off Linemen in the NFL. We can't do that for him so I think he will be gone.

IMO Pouncey is the Wallace of the OL...lots of hype but when you look real close you see lots of holes. Someone will overpay for him like they did for Wallace...I just hope it isn't us.

I'm still old school, thinking the character of the player has a lot to do with how valuable he is to the team overall. The "Free Hernandez" pic is now permanently linked in my mind with Pouncey's name, and for that reason, I would not be unhappy to see him go. Heck, he might still get a 3AM knock on the door by the local constable one day, for his shenanigans in Florida with Hernandez - it sure would be nice if he were on someone else's payroll when that happens.

It is illogical/irrational thinking like that which disqualifies me from the position of Steelers GM :-)

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2013, 04:39 PM
On the Steelers: Adams gets shot to repair the line

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Adams gets a second chance Sunday when he starts at left tackle against the Miami Dolphins.

The Steelers can only hope he follows a similar path taken by John Jackson, one of their better left tackles of the past generation.

Jackson, too, fell on his face when he first played left tackle as a rookie in 1988. He started a preseason game at New Orleans where linebacker Pat Swilling, one of the NFL’s preeminent pass rushers at the time, blew past Jackson for three sacks that day.

Coach Chuck Noll wanted to cut him, but offensive line coach Ron Blackledge talked him out of it. Jackson did not start a regular-season game as a rookie, but won the job the next year and started at left tackle for the next nine seasons. He left as a free agent and started in San Diego and Cincinnati before calling it a career after 14 seasons in the NFL.

There’s a lesson there for Adams, who had a rough go of it through the first four games this season when he started at left tackle and got teed up by opposing pass rushers. Jared Allen of the Minnesota Vikings had a particularly good day against Adams with 2½ sacks, three quarterback hurries and a batted pass as the Steelers lost, 34-27, to fall to 0-4.

Adams then fell down the depth chart. Kelvin Beachum was promoted to starting left tackle for the fifth game and stayed there until he was lost to a sprained right knee last Thursday in their 22-20 loss at Baltimore.

Adams, who replaced Beachum against the Ravens, overcame his own ankle injury from that game and will start against Miami. He is the Steelers’ tallest lineman at 6 feet 7 and listed at 323 pounds.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, for one, believes the second-year pro still has the ability to become a good left tackle in the NFL.

“Absolutely, no doubt about it,” Roethlisberger said Thursday. “Besides the physical tools, he’s athletic, he’s big. You’re starting to see a little bit of nastiness, some toughness. A couple days ago in practice, he was kind of getting into little scuffles and stuff. Normally, you don’t want to see that, but yet certain guys, you do want to see that.”

Adams is one of them.

“We put him in games as that extra tight end, tackle, whatever it is,” Roethlisberger said. “That’s helping him build his confidence, as well. I do see a good future for him, I really do.”

It’s in Adams’ hands. Beachum, who was drafted to play guard, was forced to play left tackle after Adams’ early troubles and has tried to show the coaches he can play the position now and into the future.

Now it’s Adams’ turn to get another chance to show them the same thing — or at least show they were not wrong to make him their second-round draft choice in 2012.

“You go out there and play. If you don’t play well, you can’t let it get you down,” Adams said of his first four games. “Obviously, it didn’t work out too well.”

He welcomes the opportunity to show he can do the job.

“I feel like if Beach can’t go and my number gets called, I look forward to stepping in and helping my guys out. I’ve had a lot of time to work on fundamentals, footwork and stuff like that to improve stuff like that. I’ve definitely had a long while to work at it.

“It’s not really about changing things, it’s about improving things, just being more consistent, especially with my feet and hands. That’s what we’ve worked hard on every day, just get better at what you do every day, every play.”

Beachum, who sits next to Adams in the locker room and was part of the same 2012 draft class as a seventh-round pick, saw what his teammate went through early in the season.

“It was difficult. It was rough and people were attacking him. Seeing that, it was messing with his mind a little bit. I feel that he’s learned from it.

“I know he’ll do well. They wouldn’t have drafted him if they didn’t think he could handle adversity.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz2mggDmUYk

steelblood
12-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Sorry...Not close. Velasco has played very good...But Velasco is no Pouncey. Pouncey's level of play is ProBowler...Period. You want to dispute if he is worth the dollars he will command...Fine. No disputing his play.

No disputing his play?

Geez. I think he has been inconsistent the last few years, and I watch pretty closely. I'm a fan and I like him much better than Velasco. But, I think Pouncey does not consistently play like an all pro (especially recently).

I also take an issue with all of this "period" and "enough said" stuff that happens on message boards. That constitutes conversational bullying. I think JPN should be investigated by the mods and quite possibly suspended. I also suspect the use of PEDs based on the very high quality of many of his posts. Come clean, JPN.;-)

flippy
12-06-2013, 06:03 PM
On the Steelers: Adams gets shot to repair the line

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Adams gets a second chance Sunday when he starts at left tackle against the Miami Dolphins.

The Steelers can only hope he follows a similar path taken by John Jackson, one of their better left tackles of the past generation.

The problem is when Adams came in for Beachum against the Ravens, he didn't look very good. All of a sudden there was pressure on nearly every play he was in the game. I do think Adams could play RT, but I'm scared with him on the left.

hawaiiansteel
12-07-2013, 03:08 PM
by Ed Bouchette

Mike Adams gets 2nd shot at LT for #Steelers after he failed his first one. He can hope he follows this guy's path:

Jackson, too, fell on his face when he first played left tackle as a rookie in 1988. He started a preseason game at New Orleans where linebacker Pat Swilling, one of the NFL’s preeminent pass rushers at the time, blew past Jackson for three sacks that day.

Coach Chuck Noll wanted to cut him, but offensive line coach Ron Blackledge talked him out of it. Jackson did not start a regular-season game as a rookie, but won the job the next year and started at left tackle for the next nine seasons. He left as a free agent and started in San Diego and Cincinnati before calling it a career after 14 seasons in the NFL.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/995e469d-277d-4471-9ab4-24766a601800/?source=twitter

hawaiiansteel
12-09-2013, 04:22 PM
The problem is when Adams came in for Beachum against the Ravens, he didn't look very good. All of a sudden there was pressure on nearly every play he was in the game. I do think Adams could play RT, but I'm scared with him on the left.

Ray Fittipaldo ‏@rayfitt1:

Mike Adams received the highest grade on offense for the Steelers against Miami from @PFF. He allowed just two QB hurries in 45 pass block sets.

https://twitter.com/rayfitt1

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-09-2013, 04:45 PM
No disputing his play?

Geez. I think he has been inconsistent the last few years, and I watch pretty closely. I'm a fan and I like him much better than Velasco. But, I think Pouncey does not consistently play like an all pro (especially recently).

I also take an issue with all of this "period" and "enough said" stuff that happens on message boards. That constitutes conversational bullying. I think JPN should be investigated by the mods and quite possibly suspended. I also suspect the use of PEDs based on the very high quality of many of his posts. Come clean, JPN.;-)

Anyone have any Urine I could borrow? You can see from my posts, I don't think he should be paid as the best. He is better than Velasco but Velasco played his a$$ off for the Steelers. Love to have him back in '14.

hawaiiansteel
12-09-2013, 04:50 PM
* The offensive line has allowed four sacks in the past four games, which is the lowest four-game total since the 2005 season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/12/09/Defense-blown-open-again/stories/201312090052#ixzz2n0dYkAvt

costanza2k1
12-10-2013, 10:03 PM
who's laughing now oline?

hawaiiansteel
12-14-2013, 01:52 AM
LT Is Beachum's Position To Lose

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Dec 12, 2013

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/125/1252233.jpg

Even after Mike Adams' clean performance against Miami, Kelvin Beachum is the Steelers' left tackle moving forward.

PITTSBURGH -- Kelvin Beachum returned to his position at left tackle with the Steelers this week after missing his first game of the season Sunday with a knee injury.

The fact that left tackle remains Beachum's position was apparent again Thursday: He's focused, technically sound, and reliable.

What he doesn't have is Mike Adams' size, ability to come off the ball and brutalize opposing linemen in the run game, or of course Adams' sack-free performance against the Dolphins.

So how will the Steelers move forward at this critical position?

With an efficient-but-small tackle or the vexing giant?

"I think that's why we're playing the games," said offensive coordinator Todd Haley. "And I think that's a big reason why Beach, when the early change was made and he ended up over there, was left him there and we didn't mess with him, even though he might've been a good option at center when we had issues there, or a good option at other spots, guard when we had a couple issues there.

"But we wanted to leave him there and let him get settled in and see how good he could be. Now, unfortunately he got hurt, but he's been practicing some so we'll see here as the week goes on."

According to Pro Football Focus, these are the pass-protection stats of each:

* Beachum, 661 snaps, 6 sacks, 5 QB hits, 19 QB hurries.

* Adams, 457 snaps, 4 sacks, 8 QB hits, 24 QB hurries.

So the job is Beachum's to lose.

"He earned the right to be in there right now because he played at a pretty high level for us while he was in there against good competition," Haley said. "I think he's earned every right, as much as anyone else has, to be in there playing."

BAD MOOD BEN

Ben Roethlisberger didn't find humor in some of the reporting after Sunday's game that painted him as having been upset with Haley. So when Roethlisberger met the media on Sunday, Roethlisberger was a bit terse, even with some of his "boys."

Q: Is it easy to keep the guys motivated?

BR: "Um, yeah. I mean, I'm motivated to win. I'm assuming you would have to ask everyone else in here what their motivation is. (Pause) I'm sure that'll get taken out of context, too. Um, I'm motivated to play as hard as I can. I'm sure everyone else is."

Q: Ben, are you (ticked) off at the media?

BR: "Not at all."

INJURY REPORT

The flu bug is sweeping through the Cincinnati locker room. MLB Vontaze Burfict, RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis, and OLB James Harrison all missed Thursday's practice because of illness. They joined cornerback Terence Newman (knee) on the sidelines.

Missing practice for the Steelers were DE Brett Keisel (foot), NT Steve McLendon (ankle) and SS Troy Polamalu (shoulder), who each missed their second practice of the week. WR Emmanuel Sanders (foot) was limited Thursday.

QUOTABLE

Haley on the progress being made by the Steelers' offense:

"What's important to me and what gives me hope for this group as we go forward is that we've made progress as the year's gone on, and that hadn't been without obstacles and injuries and lineup changes, significant lineup changes. So we've been able to overcome a bunch of that and continued to make progress in most areas. It hadn't translated to wins, which is what this is all about, obviously, but I think there's been enough increase in production in most areas to feel good about what the guys are doing. The sack number's gone down, the turnover number's gone significantly down. I think in the second half of the season we've turned it over twice. We've got to keep going in that direction.

"The run game has continued to look improved, although we haven't been able to get into a game where we hand it off 25-30 times. Last game if we get a couple things done, don't run into the penalty situation, it might be one of those games where you get a couple scores up and you're able to pound the defense at home in bad weather.

"I just think that a lot of it is these guys continuing to work, getting growth from guys like Beach, getting Heath Miller back closer to himself, getting a Matt Spaeth back, a lot of different factors have played into it. But one thing stayed the same: These guys continued to work and get better, and I think it's showing, week in and week out, as we go forward."

http://pit.scout.com/2/1356310.html

hawaiiansteel
12-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Kovacevic: The Steelers' above-the-line rescue

By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=s3Vkr K53IWCHFKE182qWAs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYv7ZEvJkbRObDN fkNUgN3sLWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers offensive linemen Ramon Foster and Mike Adams block for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger against the Dolphins Sunday, Dec. 8 2013 at Heinz Field.

If the offensive line forms the foundation of any NFL franchise, then it's nothing less than a seismological miracle the Steelers haven't been splattered across the stratosphere, right?

I mean, it isn't enough to say the line has used nine players to man the five positions.

Or that there have been 16 distinct combinations.

Or that the zone-blocking scheme in which they'd invested countless hours at Latrobe had to be scrapped by September.

Or that Maurkice Pouncey, their only Pro Bowl player, was finished after eight snaps.

Or that Fernando Velasco, signed off his couch to replace Pouncey at center, had all of three practices to pick up the playbook.

Or that Mike Adams looked so intimidated against the Vikings in London that he might as well have been ushering Jared Allen back to his quarterback.

Or that Levi Brown, the veteran acquired from the Cardinals to replace Adams at left tackle, was finished after his first warmup.

Or that Rashad Butler, one of several spare parts accumulated along the way, left the Steelers the day after signing for what the team called “personal reasons.”

Or that Velasco would be finished before long, as well.

Or that Cody Wallace, the third center for a team that once boasted three men at the position over three decades, would be fined half of his $37,000 game pay for two ugly infractions in his debut.

No, just about the only complete way to assess all the damage done by this line is to add up … um, the four sacks and eight quarterback hits they've allowed in the past four games?

Wait, is that real?

“The guys have gotten the job done,” Jack Bicknell Jr., the first-year offensive line coach, was telling me with a broad smile the other day on the South Side. “Give the players the credit. They're the ones who have gone out there and met the challenge.”

There's been an awful lot to dislike about these 5-8 Steelers, especially of late, and there might be more following this Sunday night meeting with — say it with me — the first-place Bengals. But it's only fair, maybe even fairer in that context, to spotlight maybe the season's most remarkable facet: That Bicknell and no more than two mainstay players, guards Ramon Foster and David DeCastro, have kept the team from completely capsizing.

I'll take it further: Bicknell deserves the highest grade of anyone on Mike Tomlin's staff in 2013.

The intricacies of blocking in today's NFL are only magnified by the challenge of adjusting weekly to the defense being faced. For the Steelers to have had any semblance of consistency there, given the moving parts, is a testament to the man.

“Coach Bick is our glue,” tackle Marcus Gilbert was saying. “He's a great teacher, a great motivator, never let us get down or worry about what was happening out of our control. He's always cool, always positive.”

Could be the pedigree. Bicknell is as much of a football lifer as it gets. His father Jack Sr., was head coach at Boston College and for 14 years with Barcelona of the old NFL Europe. His brother, Bob, coaches the Eagles' wide receivers. His own playing career including snapping the ball for Doug Flutie's iconic Hail Mary at BC, and he went on to eight years as head coach at Louisiana Tech and another four as an NFL assistant before coming to Pittsburgh.

“I learned a long time ago that nothing comes easily in football,” Bicknell said. “Same goes for this season. Have we been hit by a lot of different things? Sure. But in football, you keep going.”

As for the athletes: DeCastro is maturing toward a Pro Bowl level at right guard and looks like a fine first-round pick. Foster has been Foster, plus he's taken on the unusual role of a guard calling line signals with Pouncey and Velasco lost. Velasco was solid enough that management should consider bringing him back. Kelvin Beachum fared well in playing nearly every line position — plus tight end! — and became beloved in the locker room for solidifying left tackle. Adams and Gilbert remain projects, but it would be hard to say either isn't improving.

Of the beleaguered Adams, Bicknell said, “Mike's worked hard. Left tackle's a tough position to play in the NFL. I've watched him really carefully after his tougher games, and he's kept his chin up. That means a lot to me.”

When the Steelers won their last Super Bowl, they used only two line combinations the whole way. It's no coincidence. Chemistry on the line is critical, more than with any unit in football.

It still can happen with this group. All five projected starters will be back for 2014, and all will be younger than Foster, only 27 himself. And maybe, if they keep Bicknell's attitude, they could at least benefit from 2013 as a test passed.

“I think what we've done this year, how we've grown, will help. I believe that,” Foster said. “The way it's worked in here, because of everything that's happened, we've learned we have to stay thick. We could have fallen apart in here, and it didn't happen.”

No, they didn't. Unlike pretty much everything above that foundation.

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/5226114-74/steelers-bicknell-foster#ixzz2naT1misC