PDA

View Full Version : Think one man can't change a defense....?

NorthCoast
11-11-2013, 01:25 AM
Anyone watching the 'Boys against Nawlins tonight saw how losing a single ILB completely changed the defense. Up to losing Sean Lee, the CBoys were punishing Brees and smacking RBs left and right. After Lee's injury, the CBoys looked like a bunch of inept high-schoolers and the Saints shredded that defense like hot knife in butter.
It was just one guy, but that guy happened to be the one calling the defense and making a lot of the plays. Just proves that the Steelers struggling in the middle might not be scheme, or talent, but simply inexperience playing in the middle.

Rod Polamalu
11-11-2013, 01:49 AM
If a system is a proven commodity,...then one must address lack of talent and or experience. They are inseparable to the extent that one must absolutely outweigh the other to offset a "two gun clusterfoook". There is no way around that,....and any GM, or Coach that believes otherwise in light of ego or any other of a myriad of reasons does so to his detriment.

Slapstick
11-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Lee gets injured a lot...

Starlifter
11-11-2013, 10:20 AM
I have no issues with Larry Foote - but while he's had a solid career I don't believe anyone would consider him elite or irreplaceable. Yet it is baffling to me that when he went down in week 1 we didn't have a serviceable replacement on the team and had to go to the free agent market. Same goes with Pouncey. Here's a guy who hasn't finished a season EVER and yet our plan is to groom Kelvin Beachem. That was so well thought out we had to again go to free agency after week 1.

I agree losing a critical part of each unit hurt the steelers. however our crappy start is directly on the coaching and front office for not having a legitimate #2 plan in place.

Discipline of Steel
11-11-2013, 06:50 PM
I have no issues with Larry Foote - but while he's had a solid career I don't believe anyone would consider him elite or irreplaceable. Yet it is baffling to me that when he went down in week 1 we didn't have a serviceable replacement on the team and had to go to the free agent market. Same goes with Pouncey. Here's a guy who hasn't finished a season EVER and yet our plan is to groom Kelvin Beachem. That was so well thought out we had to again go to free agency after week 1.

I agree losing a critical part of each unit hurt the steelers. however our crappy start is directly on the coaching and front office for not having a legitimate #2 plan in place.

I hear you but maybe its just not that easy to have a legit #2 in place for every position on the team. Injuries hit our weaknesses. But I do agree that Pouncey's injury record dictates we have a legit #2 in place behind him before a lot of other positions.

flippy
11-11-2013, 06:57 PM
I think we'd be a lot better if we still had James the tackling machine or a healthy Casey clogging the middle.

Starlifter
11-11-2013, 07:19 PM
I hear you but maybe its just not that easy to have a legit #2 in place for every position on the team. Injuries hit our weaknesses. But I do agree that Pouncey's injury record dictates we have a legit #2 in place behind him before a lot of other positions.with regards to foote - the point I was making is that he's a solid player, but not so stellar the steelers couldn't or shouldn't have had a #2 in place that wasn't that far removed. That they didn't is criminal.

feltdizz
11-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Lee gets injured a lot...

and the Dallas D has never been that good.

Shoe
11-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Anyone realize the two defenses in question (DAL, PIT), who've both set franchise records on defense for poor play, are led by two 70-year old DCs?

Shoe
11-12-2013, 11:11 PM
So Monte KIffen should be held responsible for not having a solid plan B in the event a gimp ILB gets hurt.

JUst like Haley and Pouncey when he scrapped the ZBS.

Not necessarily, but the D wasn't exactly on all cylinders before Lee got hurt either. BTW, this brings up an interesting example. How much better off would DAL be right now, if they simply kept Rob Ryan (i.e. same scheme from last year), instead of cutting bait for a big-name replacement like Kiffin and obviously needing another year-long grace period (to learn a new system)? Think our current offensive coordinator situation.

BURGH86STEEL
11-12-2013, 11:55 PM
I hear you but maybe its just not that easy to have a legit #2 in place for every position on the team. Injuries hit our weaknesses. But I do agree that Pouncey's injury record dictates we have a legit #2 in place behind him before a lot of other positions.
Other players fell on Pouncey's legs two times that I remember. Pouncey had more bad luck then anything else.

NorthCoast
11-13-2013, 01:43 PM
and the Dallas D has never been that good.

maybe the D hasn't, but Lee has... currently 3rd in the NFL in tackles and ahead of Timmons by a wide margin. (also has more passes defensed than Timmons)

feltdizz
11-13-2013, 01:54 PM
maybe the D hasn't, but Lee has... currently 3rd in the NFL in tackles and ahead of Timmons by a wide margin. (also has more passes defensed than Timmons)

but their D is ranked 32 and offenses have run 710 plays against them and they give up 440 ypg... and they also played one more game than we have.

I would expect Lee to have more of everything but this is similar to the Poz argument. Not knocking Lee but I think people are giving him too much credit. That D is awful.

I have a hard time giving Lee a heap of praise over Timmons when he only has 13 more solo tackles, 4 more passes defensed and 1 less sack. (I'll give him credit on INT's 3 more than Timmons)... and Lee is about to be out AGAIN and has also played 1 more game.

People need to remember the Dallas D was/is HORRIBLE.

late edit: PSU LB's.. should have known why Lee is always being discussed around here.