PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's game is the perfect example of why we should draft a....

legend of polamalu
11-05-2013, 09:45 PM
CB with our no. 1 pick

CB, S or OL with our 2nd round pick

CB or S with our 3rd rnd pick

S. Thomas didn't look the part, our secondary got shredded. Polamalu takes to many chances and has maybe 1 good year left. Clark ditto.

Ike is in his 30's. That leaves Allen as the only guy on the secondary that will be on the team in 2 years making plays. WE MUST REBUILD THIS SECONDARY NOW!!!

Any CB's or Safeties worthy of the no. 6-12 pick in the draft? List um here!

flippy
11-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Not sure any CBs/Ss rate that high this year.

I will buck the trend of saying our biggest need is a LT and agree our biggest area of need is on the D side of the ball right now. We need to generate more QB pressure and become better tacklers in the box. And the real difference makers in the 3-4 are the OLBs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up taking Anthony Barr.

That's a kid that has the kind of talent that teams will have to double him and it could change the entire complexion of our D. He very well might be the best player on the board when we pick. And I'm still a huge advocate of taking BPA rather than drafting for need.

I'd really like to see us get a guy like Austin Seferian Jenkin in round 2. I think he's the kind of player that could pull a safety/LB out of the box, help the run game, and open up things on the outside for Brown/Sanders. Getting him and Heath involved in the passing game could help slow down the pass rush more than a LT. I really think with Ben's game, it's more valuable to get him a big target/weapon vs a blocker cause any lineman is going to struggle with the way Ben holds the ball anyways. And this Jimmy Graham clone could change the complexion of our O.

We'll have to see where we end up at the end of the season, but if things lined up like today, this is the way I'd go. Probably a little unexpected, but I think both these guys could pay huge long term dividends for this team. Not exactly need, but the best guys who I think will be available when we pick.

squidkid
11-05-2013, 10:50 PM
big WR, athletic TE, then go defense.

steelz09
11-05-2013, 11:06 PM
An elite LT because there isn't an elite safety, NT, or big WR like CJ or AJ Green that will be BPA at a position of need. LT would fit.

legend of polamalu
11-06-2013, 12:00 AM
When was the last time we drafted an O-Lineman in the first round and it worked out for us? There is a reason you wait. This year maybe an exception as we maybe picking as early as 5-8. I hate picking WR and Olinemen in the first.

No CB's in the top 20? It is to early for me to start looking at these college kids.

NW Steeler
11-06-2013, 12:12 AM
When was the last time we drafted an O-Lineman in the first round and it worked out for us? There is a reason you wait. This year maybe an exception as we maybe picking as early as 5-8. I hate picking WR and Olinemen in the first.

No CB's in the top 20? It is to early for me to start looking at these college kids.

Pouncey and DeCastro?

NW Steeler
11-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Not sure any CBs/Ss rate that high this year.

I will buck the trend of saying our biggest need is a LT and agree our biggest area of need is on the D side of the ball right now. We need to generate more QB pressure and become better tacklers in the box. And the real difference makers in the 3-4 are the OLBs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up taking Anthony Barr.

That's a kid that has the kind of talent that teams will have to double him and it could change the entire complexion of our D. He very well might be the best player on the board when we pick. And I'm still a huge advocate of taking BPA rather than drafting for need.

I'd really like to see us get a guy like Austin Seferian Jenkin in round 2. I think he's the kind of player that could pull a safety/LB out of the box, help the run game, and open up things on the outside for Brown/Sanders. Getting him and Heath involved in the passing game could help slow down the pass rush more than a LT. I really think with Ben's game, it's more valuable to get him a big target/weapon vs a blocker cause any lineman is going to struggle with the way Ben holds the ball anyways. And this Jimmy Graham clone could change the complexion of our O.

We'll have to see where we end up at the end of the season, but if things lined up like today, this is the way I'd go. Probably a little unexpected, but I think both these guys could pay huge long term dividends for this team. Not exactly need, but the best guys who I think will be available when we pick.

So do you trade Woodley and his salary? I like the idea of Jenkins. You see what athletic TE's do to our D!

SS Laser
11-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Well IF the Steelers have the 5-8 pick I hope some team falls in love with a QB and trades with us. We need quite a bit of new high caliber blood. Plus a trade down in the 1st makes more sense then trading away Ben to me.

flippy
11-06-2013, 12:25 AM
So do you trade Woodley and his salary? I like the idea of Jenkins. You see what athletic TE's do to our D!

The really messed up thing about taking Barr is he's built to play the right side where JJ is.

You could also look at packages to get Woodley, JJ, and Barr on the field together. Remember, JJ offered to play inside when Foote went down and he does have some experience there. He might be able to move inside and might even be better suited just as Timmons was. I'm a little perplexed by JJ. He doesn't really look like a great pass rusher off the edge.

As far as Woodley goes, I'd still keep him until I was sure I had someone to replace him. As much as he gets dogged, I think he's looked fairly good and he'd have more pressure/sacks if we did a better job of collapsing the pocket in the middle and giving him better angles to the QB.

SteelBucks
11-06-2013, 12:26 AM
What? Nobody here thinks we badly need an ILB? Foote isn't getting any younger, Spence isn't a guarantee, and the replacements are below average. I'm fine with working on the secondary but ILB is quickly becoming a priority.

NJ-STEELER
11-06-2013, 01:07 AM
in today's day and age of passing. is it even worth to draft a corner that high?
no such thing as shut down corner anymore (marshall is the closest probably)

that guy the cowboys took early 2 years ago gets burnt every week

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-06-2013, 03:27 AM

Woodley has somewhere around $13-15M still to be pro-rated over three years...he isn't going anywhere in 2014.

D Rock
11-06-2013, 08:29 AM
A shutdown corner has to be big and physical, as well as fast.

Richard Sherman is 6' 3", Morris Claiborne is 5' 11". One is great, the other gets beat regularly as stated above.

Aqib Talib is 6' 1", Charles Tillman is 6' 2". Ike is 6' 2" and used to shut guys down when he was faster.

I don't want small athletic corners, not in today's NFL. It has to be a big athletic CB, and if we have a chance at one we should get him and let Lake coach him up.

legend of polamalu
11-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Pouncey and DeCastro?

Have you seen our O Line lately? I forgot about Pouncey, guess cause he is hurt. Decastro is average but getting better I guess. He was terrible last year and still hasn't added up to the hype of being a first round pick.

steelsnis
11-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Have you seen our O Line lately? I forgot about Pouncey, guess cause he is hurt. Decastro is average but getting better I guess. He was terrible last year and still hasn't added up to the hype of being a first round pick.

Thats nuts. DeCastro was terrible last year? You mean the year his knee blew up during preseason? Wow. He's playing EXCELLENT football this year in what is essentially his rookie season. These guys tend to agree with me.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/06/2013-midseason-all-division-team-afc-north/

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/10/pro-football-focus-ranks-david-decastro-third-overall-among-guards/

Oviedo
11-06-2013, 09:48 AM
If we don't draft a Left Tackle and use another Round 1 pick on defense we don't deserve to get better. Our OL is among the worst in the entire NFL. Fix that first because we have questionable starters and zero depth.

grotonsteel
11-06-2013, 09:55 AM
If we don't draft a Left Tackle and use another Round 1 pick on defense we don't deserve to get better. Our OL is among the worst in the entire NFL. Fix that first because we have questionable starters and zero depth.

+1

Steelers need a franchise LT. Steelers drafting in Top-10 will give them a chance to draft an elite LT especially with few teams needing QBs.

We had enough of Rd-2 OT. We know how they play in NFL. A traffic cone will do a better job than some of the OTs Steelers have.

squidkid
11-06-2013, 10:00 AM
why do we need to draft a top 10 tackle but other teams find guys in later rounds?

grotonsteel
11-06-2013, 10:06 AM
why do we need to draft a top 10 tackle but other teams find guys in later rounds?

Maybe our scouting department sucks?? Drafting two Rd-2 RT to play LT?? Or maybe OL coach can't develop talent?

flippy
11-06-2013, 10:08 AM

We don't. We just need to take the best guy available whenever we pick. We need help everywhere.

squidkid
11-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Maybe our scouting department sucks?? Drafting two Rd-2 RT to play LT?? Or maybe OL coach can't develop talent?

my thoughts exactly. who cares where we draft if tomlins handpicked OL coach cant develop them

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-06-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm not seeing any Top 5 or Top 10 CB talent in this draft. This draft looks pretty stron in the 2-3 range though. IF the Steelers want one...I would say that would the target range.

legend of polamalu
11-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Thats nuts. DeCastro was terrible last year? You mean the year his knee blew up during preseason? Wow. He's playing EXCELLENT football this year in what is essentially his rookie season. These guys tend to agree with me.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/06/2013-midseason-all-division-team-afc-north/

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/10/pro-football-focus-ranks-david-decastro-third-overall-among-guards/

What I remember DeCastro for in his short career.....Him personally losing the Bengals game late in the year and him taking out our best off lineman in Pouncey.

Dee Dub
11-06-2013, 03:43 PM
....S. Thomas didn't look the part, our secondary got shredded. Polamalu takes to many chances and has maybe 1 good year left.

I dont think this is fair to Shamarko Thomas. He is playing out of position. He is not a free safety. He is a strong safety. His strengths are playing in the box or near the LOS. Problem is, that position is occupied by Polamalu.

Clark ditto.

Well..I have been saying this about Clark for years. If you are going to use Polamalu like the Steelers do, then you need a pure cover safety at the free spot.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-06-2013, 05:14 PM
What I remember DeCastro for in his short career.....Him personally losing the Bengals game late in the year and him taking out our best off lineman in Pouncey.
Since taking out Pouncey, DeCastro has been our best OL this season, IMO (Velasco is right there with him).

BURGH86STEEL
11-06-2013, 05:17 PM
If there is a better player available then the best available CB when the Steelers draft then they should draft the best available player.

flippy
11-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Since taking out Pouncey, DeCastro has been our best OL this season, IMO (Velasco is right there with him).

Call me crazy again, but I think Foster's our best OLineman right now. And not just because of injuries. He's actually playing good. I've been watching him a little more since I saw him handling Ngata 1 on 1 against the Ravens and he's very consistent. I still think he's built like a T and would make the best RT out of any of the guys we have on the roster right now.

Chadman
11-06-2013, 07:00 PM
The Steelers dont need more young OL to add to the group. They might need a couple of experienced guys though.

WR would make the OL look better.

Not sure if a big play WR is a bigger need than a NT at this point though. Teams are running at will against the Steelers & there is little to no penetration from McLendon in the passing game. the 3-4 Zone Blitz needs a dominant NT. It'll make the DE's look better, the OLB's look better & the ILB's look better.

NJ-STEELER
11-06-2013, 09:41 PM

you'll always find players that slip and pan out for teams. but LT is a premium position. its not a coincidence that you see 4-5 drafted in the 1st round every year

Shoe
11-06-2013, 10:16 PM
I dont think this is fair to Shamarko Thomas. He is playing out of position. He is not a free safety. He is a strong safety. His strengths are playing in the box or near the LOS. Problem is, that position is occupied by Polamalu.

Well..I have been saying this about Clark for years. If you are going to use Polamalu like the Steelers do, then you need a pure cover safety at the free spot.

Does Polamalu have any potential to switch positions, to be more of a centerfielder? He still has good speed for a Safety (though not the elite burst he once had). He likes to read the QB. I do remember back in his younger days (i.e. 2005-6 ish), he played back off the LoS often, for a very good defense at the time. Because as you and others have said, the current mix (Clark backing his freelancing a$s up) isn't working anymore. And Shark back there isn't gonna either. But if Shark could be more at the LoS (at his natural position), and an older Troy could transition to FS like great DBs often have (Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson), it might make us better back there. Clark stinks.

As to this thread, there are just so many appealing LT prospects, and given our lacking there, it is too hard to pass up. If we do slide out of the Top 10 though by some minor miracle, one name I'm very interested in in that range is Louis Nix III.

I was down on Nix, after ND got manhandled by Bama last year (ran through, over, and around them all night). However, in watching breakdowns of that game, Nix was not the reason why. Nix manhandled Barrett Jones at will all night. He also gave Warmack problems, pushing him around some. And Nix was hustling all over the field, giving excellent effort. I think he would be a GREAT pick somewhere in the teens.

focosteeler
11-07-2013, 01:17 AM

I think it depends on the kind of LT you want, if you want serviceable it is hit and miss...if you want a probowl guy you have to go first round Top 10. Since 2004 there have been only 7 pro bowl offensive tackles found after the 1st round. And outside of the top 10 there are only 3 more players...Joe Staley 1-28, Ryan Clady 1-12 and Duane Brown 1-26.

Michael Roos – 1 Pro Bowl (2008)
Jason Peters – 5 Pro Bowls (2007-2011)
Tyson Clabo – 1 Pro Bowl (2010)
Jermon Bushrod – 2 Pro Bowls (2011, 2012)
Marcus McNeill – 2 Pro Bowls (2006, 2007)
Andrew Whitworth – 1 Pro Bowl (2012)
Donald Penn – 1 Pro Bowl (2010)

SS Laser
11-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Ok but how many 1st rd were drafted to be LT but bust out or moved to RT? That can still happen. The Steelers have NOT been doing well picking o line for some time.

focosteeler
11-08-2013, 12:35 AM
Ok but how many 1st rd were drafted to be LT but bust out or moved to RT? That can still happen. The Steelers have NOT been doing well picking o line for some time.

15 OT taken in the top 10 since 2003. 6 of them are pro bowl guys. The other 9 are Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel and Lane Johnson who are rookies so who knows on them. The remaining are Robert Gallery, Tyron Smith - LT, Eugene Monroe - LT, Andre Smith - RT, Jason Smith, and Levi Brown.

Take out the 3 unknown rookies and 8 of the 12 are high quality Left Tackles in the league.

SS Laser
11-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Thanks for that answer. Still not sure how I feel about the numbers. If the Steelers are in the 1-10 spot I still really hope they trade down. But much closer to draft time I could feel different.

focosteeler
11-08-2013, 01:49 AM
Thanks for that answer. Still not sure how I feel about the numbers. If the Steelers are in the 1-10 spot I still really hope they trade down. But much closer to draft time I could feel different.

For me it depends on who is available. I don't want the steelers picking a project guy. That's why I want Matthews. He is the most pro ready. If he is gone I'm all for trading down and filling the holes they have all over the team

steelz09
11-08-2013, 01:52 AM
What? Nobody here thinks we badly need an ILB? Foote isn't getting any younger, Spence isn't a guarantee, and the replacements are below average. I'm fine with working on the secondary but ILB is quickly becoming a priority.

We don't need Foote around next year. We didn't need him this year. Vince Williams who is gaining valuable experience and Sean Spence will be fighting it out for the starting ILB spot next year. We'll probably draft a late round guy.

I would pick a LT, CB, FS, NT, WR, and TE (no particular order) all before ILB.

steelz09
11-08-2013, 01:55 AM
For me it depends on who is available. I don't want the steelers picking a project guy. That's why I want Matthews. He is the most pro ready. If he is gone I'm all for trading down and filling the holes they have all over the team

They won't trade down this coming year but they might the following year.

The problem with us trading down is that many of the roster spots are going to be filled next year which would require us to cut half the guys if we stockpiled picks.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-08-2013, 11:26 AM
CB with our no. 1 pick

CB, S or OL with our 2nd round pick

CB or S with our 3rd rnd pick

S. Thomas didn't look the part, our secondary got shredded. Polamalu takes to many chances and has maybe 1 good year left. Clark ditto.

Ike is in his 30's. That leaves Allen as the only guy on the secondary that will be on the team in 2 years making plays. WE MUST REBUILD THIS SECONDARY NOW!!!

Any CB's or Safeties worthy of the no. 6-12 pick in the draft? List um here!

Last game was a disaster, but the D was gashed in a different way than in any other game this season. For the most part, nobody has been able to throw on this D the way that the Pats did. On the other hand, everybody runs against this team, and even that happened again. The biggest issue with the D is up front, both in run D and pass rush.

Up until the New England game, Gay was being praised for his work this year. Troy's gambles turned out much worse on average than usual, and throughout the rest of this season. Ike was beaten worse than any other team has done so this year...and Clark played another bad game.

On the flip side, the front seven collectively had another awful outing. Despite three sacks, there was no consistent pressure on Brady. They were run through like a peewee team, and those times that they got their hands on the runner, he was able to break the tackle.

If you want to state that the secondary has to be restocked due to age, then that is fair. If you want to point to the secondary (other than Clark) and say that because of last game they have proven to be the biggest need, then that is just wrong.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-08-2013, 12:54 PM
If this team gets the chance to draft an elite-type LT, they need to take him. Period.

After that, they can look to address other needs.

feltdizz
11-08-2013, 04:13 PM
We don't need Foote around next year. We didn't need him this year. Vince Williams who is gaining valuable experience and Sean Spence will be fighting it out for the starting ILB spot next year. We'll probably draft a late round guy.

I would pick a LT, CB, FS, NT, WR, and TE (no particular order) all before ILB.

trust me.. we needed him this year. It's great that Williams is getting experience but I would prefer it if he beat out Foote instead of being thrust into the fire.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-09-2013, 10:40 AM
trust me.. we needed him this year. It's great that Williams is getting experience but I would prefer it if he beat out Foote instead of being thrust into the fire.

Also, Foote is a leader on this D. It wasn't needed from him so much when he lined up beside Farrior, and played with guys like Smith and Harrison, but I believe that the best we have for leadership today are Clark and Foote, and I don't see Clark coming back next year.

steelz09
11-09-2013, 10:51 AM

nahhh i dont trust you

feltdizz
11-09-2013, 11:40 AM
nahhh i dont trust you

I wonder why.... lol

Shoe
11-09-2013, 12:18 PM
15 OT taken in the top 10 since 2003. 6 of them are pro bowl guys. The other 9 are Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel and Lane Johnson who are rookies so who knows on them. The remaining are Robert Gallery, Tyron Smith - LT, Eugene Monroe - LT, Andre Smith - RT, Jason Smith, and Levi Brown.

Take out the 3 unknown rookies and 8 of the 12 are high quality Left Tackles in the league.

Excellent post... basically highlighting that taking a LT high is the surest thing you can do with the pick. I also agree with you that Matthews is the best candidate. Coupling a high-achieving guy like him with Decastro will make our line GREAT someday. If he is gone (and we are at the #10 or near), I would like at Louis Nix III. I think he brings versatility, being an ideal 3-4 Nose, or being able to play in an even front.