PDA

View Full Version : The season is officially over.

Steelhere10
10-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Down by 18 and the first play is a draw to Felix Jones with under two minutes to play in the half.

Steelhere10
10-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Followed by a sack then a dink and donk pass that was useless and now the Clown punter hits a 36yd punt.

The Man of Steel
10-27-2013, 05:33 PM
I see no effort on the Steelers part whatsoever so far. They're looking flat and disinterested right now.

Steelhere10
10-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Good thing the Raiders are just as dumb.

blitz71burgh71
10-27-2013, 05:36 PM
The season was over after the ravens game, that wad there super bowl!

Steelhere10
10-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Get a TO and the kicker shank a 34yd fg. Yes it's official.

Starlifter
10-27-2013, 05:48 PM
This season has been over for 3 weeks. I hear talk about 9-7 squeaks in, I don't see it. One wildcard is already wrapped up in the afc west. The only way to make the playoffs from the north is to win the division. That ain't happening. And even if a miracle DID happen - is this a team that can beat NE, Denver, KC, maybe the colts?

Nope. Enjoy the games, look forward to the draft. Feel free to make plans in January.

Oviedo
10-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Can we start talking about the draft? I'd really like to get a good Left tackle.

birtikidis
10-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Can we start talking about the draft? I'd really like to get a good Left tackle.
We NEED a good left tackle. That should be priority #1

Ghost
10-27-2013, 10:31 PM
It was so disheartening to watch this team look unprepared for what should have been a winnable game. This loss falls on the players as well as all the coaches who did nothing to get them ready for this game. I'm sick of the bull sh*t of playing down to teams. The Steelers are a better team than the Raiders and flat out didn't give a sh*t today. And Tomlin owns a big chunk of responsibility in that fact.

bostonsteeler
10-27-2013, 10:35 PM
We NEED a good left tackle. That should be priority #1

May I suggest a new QB as well?

And, oh, btw, a new OC, a new DC and a new HC..

phillyesq
10-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Right now, the Steelers would pick no worse than 8th, so hopefully they'll be able to get a franchise LT. This team has a ton of holes, but solidifying LT would help a lot.

phillyesq
10-27-2013, 10:48 PM
It was so disheartening to watch this team look unprepared for what should have been a winnable game. This loss falls on the players as well as all the coaches who did nothing to get them ready for this game. I'm sick of the bull sh*t of playing down to teams. The Steelers are a better team than the Raiders and flat out didn't give a sh*t today. And Tomlin owns a big chunk of responsibility in that fact.

Agree completely.

steelz09
10-27-2013, 11:21 PM

Agreed. We lost to the Titans and Oakland in back-to-back years. Minnesota is a joke and their only win is against us. This team is in big trouble long term if changes aren't made soon.

Steel Life
10-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Cowher's teams made a habit of playing down to the competition too...

SteelBuckeye
10-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Cowher's teams made a habit of playing down to the competition too...

Cowher had the proper pedigree ... he was "from" the Burgh .. he was whi ... nevermind not gonna go there

Shawn
10-28-2013, 01:04 AM
Right now, the Steelers would pick no worse than 8th, so hopefully they'll be able to get a franchise LT. This team has a ton of holes, but solidifying LT would help a lot.

There should be 3 LTs who are franchise grade go in the top 15. I don't see the Steelers drafting any other position.

NJ-STEELER
10-28-2013, 01:42 AM

when was the last time we didnt have a let down in nthe reg season after beating baltimore or even just playing them?

Ernie
10-28-2013, 06:34 AM
May I suggest a new QB as well?

And, oh, btw, a new OC, a new DC and a new HC..

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when Ben threw that stupid "Johnny Football" type of pick.... ended up getting it back because of an off sides call or something like that...
The play was still made though...

For the money we have wrapped up in Ben... he is certainly not performing up to expectation. You can blame it on the OL all you want, and, yes, that is part of the problem. Ben was missing badly on slant routes and drag routes even when he had time.

With that pathetic performance yesterday, I'd say it's time to clean house and start over.

Oviedo
10-28-2013, 08:13 AM

As much as I hate to say it, I hope we don't turn this around this season and blow a chance at a difference making draft pick (in each round). I love this team but I'm not interested in any moral victories this season. The business aspect of this dictates if you have a bad record you get a better shot at the better talent coming out. I'd like to have that opportunity for the first time in well over a decade. Hopefully the FO won't blow it.

phillyesq
10-28-2013, 08:22 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I hope we don't turn this around this season and blow a chance at a difference making draft pick (in each round). I love this team but I'm not interested in any moral victories this season. The business aspect of this dictates if you have a bad record you get a better shot at the better talent coming out. I'd like to have that opportunity for the first time in well over a decade. Hopefully the FO won't blow it.

Yeah, I agree here. I'd hate to see a meaningless hot streak at the end of the year to carry the team to 7-9 or 8-8 and blow a shot at an elite OT. It's a shame that the Steelers traded away their third, which will likely be an early third round pick. I like Schmarko, but losing that pick is going to sting.

Sugar
10-28-2013, 09:35 AM

Blow it by winning?? I expect the Steelers to win. Every. Single. Time. It sucks that they aren't winning now, but this thinking is too smart by half IMO.

squidkid
10-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Cowher had the proper pedigree ... he was "from" the Burgh .. he was whi ... nevermind not gonna go there

tomlin had the right pedigree to get his job too

SidSmythe
10-28-2013, 10:02 AM
the season was over officially when we were 0-4.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-28-2013, 10:08 AM

Do you really think that if Cowher was in the place of Tomlin right now that nobody would be calling for him to be fired? I recall greater fan scrutiny on him than we have seen for Tomlin so far.

bostonsteeler
10-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Do you really think that if Cowher was in the place of Tomlin right now that nobody would be calling for him to be fired? I recall greater fan scrutiny on him than we have seen for Tomlin so far.

The younguns have not been exposed to the frustration in these parts over Cowher's slobbering bone-headed "impose our will" RTFM again and again when it wasn't working. There was baying for his head.

We don't care about the color of our coaches. We care that they win, and we care that they appear to care to want to win.
We've seen bad Noll years and there was baying for his blood.
We've seen bad Cowher years, his last one being one of those. Many (including myself) were somewhat relieved when he moved on, once he appeared to have lost his Mojo.
We've seen more bad Tomlin years than I'd care to repeat. I'm not yelling for him to move on -- I'd like to see the Steelers retain their reputation as a stable place for coaches, but the current track of not learning from experience, not being able to motivate the players, and being perpetually underprepared will have to change.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-28-2013, 11:35 AM
The Steelers have deficiencies in coaching on the sidelines. I don't care about "talent" or "execution" arguments...I'm pointing my finger there. The investment has been made in personnel...You can't turn that over. I'm done with experiment or philosophy or change...It doesn't work. I'm done with trying to fit players in a system...Build the system around the players. Get rid of Haley & Bicknell. Give Butler more control...It is time. It's like watching a kid on a bicycle trying to win a dirt bike race.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-28-2013, 11:45 AM
BTW...Did anyone else see Haley sneak a dip on TV? I'm pretty sure the NFL doesn't promote Tabacco products or allow players & coaches to use on the sideline. I'm sure Rooney or Tomlin will have a problem as well. Can't be 100% sure but it looked like a pouch to me. Am I going to hear "Are you kidding me?" Yes...Absolutely! Offensive struggles all season & down 21-3 and you put in a pinch while the he Steelers O is on the field? Petty? Call it that if you want...But coaches should be held to the same standard.

Dee Dub
10-28-2013, 01:24 PM

Some of us saw this a long time ago....and have already been talking draft....;) Just wait till the off season. There's gonna be a lot of Steelers fans on the idea of trading Ben Roethlisberger. Imagine that.

Dee Dub
10-28-2013, 01:44 PM

Right!!...and trading the QB who is going to be 32 next year and counting $18,000,000 towards the 3rd highest cap figure in the league would go a long ways to filling all of those holes.

ikestops85
10-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Right!!...and trading the QB who is going to be 32 next year and counting $18,000,000 towards the 3rd highest cap figure in the league would go a long ways to filling all of those holes.

They haven't shown me anything to change my mind either. Shed some of the high paid vets salaries and see if we can get some picks for them. Sanders can go also with all the mistakes he made yesterday.

Oviedo
10-28-2013, 02:53 PM

Except you would have the biggest hole at the most important position...QB. You don't win championships in this league without a high caliber QB.

Dee Dub
10-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Except you would have the biggest hole at the most important position...QB. You don't win championships in this league without a high caliber QB.

It can be replaced a lot easier in this new era of the NFL than it use to be. The Steelers won a super bowl with Ben in his second year primarily as a game manager. Get back to being a dominate defense, ground and pound running team, and the position at QB will take care of itself in this coming draft.

buccoray61
10-28-2013, 03:38 PM
It can be replaced a lot easier in this new era of the NFL than it use to be. The Steelers won a super bowl with Ben in his second year primarily as a game manager. Get back to being a dominate defense, ground and pound running team, and the position at QB will take care of itself in this coming draft.

I've been a fan of the Steelers since 1972,and even I realize that the 70's aren't coming back. The ground and pound went the way of the 8 track tape. Today's NFL is a QB driven passing league.

Oviedo
10-28-2013, 04:03 PM

D>D> you are a great poster, but I thank God you aren't running this team. What you described is exactly the way not to win a championship in an NFL where passing and scoring are essentially etched into every rule change over the past 5 years.

The 70s are never coming back and that model won't win anymore.

feltdizz
10-28-2013, 04:07 PM
You don't trade a QB like Ben until you know for sure you have a franchise QB on the roster.

It's crazy talk... sure QB's are coming in on day one and putting up stats but what about consistency?

squidkid
10-28-2013, 04:07 PM

i thought you were willing to wait a half decade or more to right the ship. ben will be long past quality play by then. i havent seen much out of him the last couple years anyway

Oviedo
10-28-2013, 04:09 PM
i thought you were willing to wait a half decade or more to right the ship. ben will be long past quality play by then. i havent seen much out of him the last couple years anyway

I'd be interested to see where I said wait 5 years to right the ship, but read and imagine what you want.

squidkid
10-28-2013, 04:13 PM
I'd be interested to see where I said wait 5 years to right the ship, but read and imagine what you want.

well in another post you listed cowhers down years in 1989, 1999 and 2003 and didnt make it to the superbowl until 2005.
seems like those years you listed are 5 years or more, but hey, its only your own words

skyhawk
10-28-2013, 04:41 PM
I miss Neil O'donnell.

At least that guy had some timing and accuracy. Ben is showing none of that. He simply cannot make (or won't) the tight throws and timing throws. The WR must be wide open for him to throw it. Now I blame that partly on this corps of WRs that really don't make plays on the ball, not physical enough, drops, etc.

birtikidis
10-28-2013, 05:34 PM
well in another post you listed cowhers down years in 1989, 1999 and 2003 and didnt make it to the superbowl until 2005.
seems like those years you listed are 5 years or more, but hey, its only your own words
Cowher was down in 89, way down. With the Chiefs I think. Noll wasn't doing any better though. Glad we hired Cowher in '92

Dee Dub
10-28-2013, 05:45 PM
I've been a fan of the Steelers since 1972,and even I realize that the 70's aren't coming back. The ground and pound went the way of the 8 track tape. Today's NFL is a QB driven passing league.

I too have been a fan of the Steelers since 1972. And I disagree with you. I am not saying run the ball 75% of the time. A balance of 50-50 or maybe even 60-40 (run/pass). can still win in the NFL. And I believe it is the true way to counter this read/spread/hurry-up/score at will offense that is in the league now.

Sorry to hear you guys have been jaded by the media about what has to be in the NFL today. :p

Dee Dub
10-28-2013, 05:52 PM
D>D> you are a great poster, but I thank God you aren't running this team. What you described is exactly the way not to win a championship in an NFL where passing and scoring are essentially etched into every rule change over the past 5 years.

The 70s are never coming back and that model won't win anymore.

No one is asking to return to the 70's. The Baltimore Ravens won last year with a 55-45% split. Pass versus run. And the Giants two years ago were at 58-42% (pass versus run). The perception that the media is giving you isnt correct.

And the Packers 3 years ago? 56-44% (pass versus run).

Dee Dub
10-28-2013, 05:56 PM
You don't trade a QB like Ben until you know for sure you have a franchise QB on the roster.

It's crazy talk... sure QB's are coming in on day one and putting up stats but what about consistency?

How do you explain what the Colts did 2 years ago? There are 4-6 QB's in this upcoming draft that the experts believe could play from day one. And was Ben a franchise QB his second year when the Steelers won a super bowl? Or was he more of a game manager?

Eddie Spaghetti
10-28-2013, 05:56 PM
I see your point dub, not sure if I totally agree, but the argument is there.

look at what bama is doing. Its more about players in college with the 85 schollies, but with all the scoring and high flying offenses bama plays smashmouth and wins championships. There will always be a place for a physically imposing football.

feltdizz
10-28-2013, 06:52 PM
How do you explain what the Colts did 2 years ago? There are 4-6 QB's in this upcoming draft that the experts believe could play from day one. And was Ben a franchise QB his second year when the Steelers won a super bowl? Or was he more of a game manager?

Our team was filled with Vets in their prime and Ben was thrust into the role due to injury.

Once you have a franchise QB you ride him into the sunset and pick up his replacement before his last stop.

Ben was on a team that had all the pieces in place.. similar to the Colts when they got Luck.

A rookie QB, bad OL, shaky D and a bunch of young picks is a recipe for 3 or 4 years of struggle.

Dee Dub
10-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Our team was filled with Vets in their prime and Ben was thrust into the role due to injury.

Once you have a franchise QB you ride him into the sunset and pick up his replacement before his last stop.

Ben was on a team that had all the pieces in place.. similar to the Colts when they got Luck.

A rookie QB, bad OL, shaky D and a bunch of young picks is a recipe for 3 or 4 years of struggle.

Wrong!!

The Colts were coming off a 2-14 season when they drafted Luck. Far from having everything in place. But nice try Spin Doctor. :p

feltdizz
10-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Wrong!!

The Colts were coming off a 2-14 season when they drafted Luck. Far from having everything in place. But nice try Spin Doctor. :p

2-14 after 10 years of averaging 12 with Peyton and no one as a legit back up.... its much easier to replace a franchise QB with a sure shot #1 pick in Luck.

If we had one down year after 10 years of success and the #1 pick I would agree... but we have neither.

I didnt adress the Colts 2-14 season because it was a one off... we are nothing like the Colts.

steelerkeylargo
10-28-2013, 08:07 PM

Guys like Andrew Luck come along once a decade (if that), and their are zero guys in this draft like him and no sure things coming out. How did your boy Barkley look yesterday?

Ernie
10-28-2013, 09:05 PM

The problem with this is... he's not "High Caliber" anymore.

pfelix73
10-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Well, there is NO ONE that comes close to a Luck in this draft. No way do they trade the franchise QB. that's just absurd. Also, as far as the season being officially over? No, it's not. Especially if SD would continue to falter.

NJ-STEELER
10-29-2013, 02:01 AM
Guys like Andrew Luck come along once a decade (if that), and their are zero guys in this draft like him and no sure things coming out. How did your boy Barkley look yesterday?

$$

for every luck, there's 3-4 vince youngs, matt leinart,joh freeman, christain ponder etc of the world

kindlecatsb'ng
10-29-2013, 06:41 AM

Maybe a short trip to Cleveland may change your mind about QB theory and their importance to a team. They are still looking for one...

Kindle

feltdizz
10-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Maybe a short trip to Cleveland may change your mind about QB theory and their importance to a team. They are still looking for one...

Kindle

Matt Barkley.... he looked awesome vs Dallas a few weeks ago. All that glitters ain't gold.

flippy
10-29-2013, 09:35 AM
We can still go 11-5, make the playoffs, and win the SuperBowl. Nothing's over til it's over.

Shawn
10-29-2013, 10:07 AM

If the Steelers are picking in the top 8, they have a real shot at both the guys listed in my mock. And let me tell you that would go a long way to helping this team. Both those guys I believe are the real deal. And the LT in the first I listed might be the only LT with quick enough feet to be a perrenial pro bowler on the left side.

Shawn
10-29-2013, 10:14 AM
BTW: Besides LT, I can only think of two dark horse positions the Steelers may consider. NT could be a target...considering Louis Nix should be sitting there. He should be the next Casey Hampton. The DL hasn't been the same since he left. Also, QB is a position I could see the Steelers picking if the right guy was sitting there.

Oviedo
10-29-2013, 10:30 AM
BTW: Besides LT, I can only think of two dark horse positions the Steelers may consider. NT could be a target...considering Louis Nix should be sitting there. He should be the next Casey Hampton. The DL hasn't been the same since he left. Also, QB is a position I could see the Steelers picking if the right guy was sitting there.

I would hate a Nose Tackle in the Top 10. IMO no way they take a QB until they know Ben is one to two years away from leaving. It would create issues.

Left Tackle is obviously the best choice and the best pick we could make.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Top 5-10 would have to be a LT unless someone develops down the stretch. If that is the case...The Steelers should field every offer let someone give up some picks to come get a QB. Then maybe Mike Evans if they sit somewhere in the 10-15 range. Since there isn't any signs of that happening right now...You would think it has to be a Mathews, Lewan, or Kouandjio. Maybe the new injuries on the OL with some shuffling will answer some questions before the year is out.

flippy
10-29-2013, 10:48 AM
If we get a high pick, I'd hope there's a good QB on the board when we're drafting that someone really wants and would trade down.

squidkid
10-29-2013, 03:33 PM
am i the only one that is concerned that the high draft pick that everyone is excited about will just go uncoached like alot of the other draft picks we have selected OR the player selected high will be wrongfully evaluated like some are saying the steelers have been doing since tomlin took over?

flippy
10-29-2013, 03:34 PM
am i the only one that is concerned that the high draft pick that everyone is excited about will just go uncoached like alot of the other draft picks we have selected OR the player selected high will be wrongfully evaluated like some are saying the steelers have been doing since tomlin took over?

Im with you, I don't trust this team with draft picks at this point either.

steelerkeylargo
10-29-2013, 03:42 PM
If the Steelers are picking in the top 8, they have a real shot at both the guys listed in my mock. And let me tell you that would go a long way to helping this team. Both those guys I believe are the real deal. And the LT in the first I listed might be the only LT with quick enough feet to be a perrenial pro bowler on the left side.

Colt Lyerla left Oregon 3 weeks ago and was busted for Coke last week. Even though he is a great talent and I have him in the 7th round in my mock (I would take the chance there) I am sure he will be off the Steelers board.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Colt Lyerla left Oregon 3 weeks ago and was busted for Coke last week. Even though he is a great talent and I have him in the 7th round in my mock (I would take the chance there) I am sure he will be off the Steelers board.
As well he should be. Busted for coke? Stay far, far away...

squidkid
10-29-2013, 03:55 PM
As well he should be. Busted for coke? Stay far, far away...

diet or regular?

Sugar
10-29-2013, 05:08 PM
At least the Steelers didn't maker this list: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000271538/article/stick-a-fork-in-them-five-teams-that-are-done-in-2013

Dee Dub
10-29-2013, 05:22 PM
At least the Steelers didn't maker this list: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000271538/article/stick-a-fork-in-them-five-teams-that-are-done-in-2013

That's because the Steelers were done after week 4. They made a previous list of those who were done. ;)

Sugar
10-29-2013, 08:12 PM
That's because the Steelers were done after week 4. They made a previous list of those who were done. ;)

I can't imagine who else would have been on that list then.