PDA

View Full Version : Here is the solution.

Shawn
09-30-2013, 12:45 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/08/bill-cowher-interested-in-nfl-coaching-return/1819343/

steelz09
09-30-2013, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't mind it and I think it's what this team needs but I don't think the Rooneys would do it. On a side note, I don't know how Tomlin CANNOT be on the hot seat right now from not just the fans perspective (like a previous post outlined) but from ownership as well.

Shawn
09-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Steelz I sure hope so. I am more unhappy with Tomlin than Haley...and that is saying something.

flippy
09-30-2013, 12:53 PM
We seem to love bringing back players, why not a coach?

Shawn
09-30-2013, 12:57 PM
I would love to see that jaw back in the Burgh.

Sugar
09-30-2013, 12:59 PM
I don't want to see Cowher back unless it's to wave to fans for some memorial celebration or something.

Oviedo
09-30-2013, 01:01 PM
I would love to see that jaw back in the Burgh.

Wow! You really want more up the middle, up the middle, up the middle, punt? I'll pass. Cowher's lack of creativity would kill this franchise. The league has changed and you can't slobber and spit your way to wins.

Steelhere10
09-30-2013, 01:02 PM
I don't want to see Cowher back unless it's to wave to fans for some memorial celebration or something.
I agree, if you going to can the staff just start fresh. Because I would hate to wait 15 more years to win a SB.

NW Steeler
09-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Maybe they can just bring Noll back then? Jeezus.

Steelhere10
09-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Wow! You really want more up the middle, up the middle, up the middle, punt? I'll pass. Cowher's lack of creativity would kill this franchise. The league has changed and you can't slobber and spit your way to wins.

100% agree 15 years is a long time to wait and get 7.

steelblood
09-30-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm good with Cowher returning. He knows how to motivate men and he understands fundamentals. Also, other than not wanting Big Ben, our drafts were better under his watch.

Sugar
09-30-2013, 01:05 PM
I think it would work out about as well as Joe Gibbs returning to the 'Skins did.

Shawn
09-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Hmm, so defensive minded Cowher who delegated Offense to the OC...is being blamed for running Bettis alot? Come on. We had some good O's under Cowher and Cowher wasn't the OC. He just needs a hire a good one.

steelz09
09-30-2013, 01:07 PM
The combination of Cowher & Colbert could build a team....except the QB position. Cowher was very hard headed in that regard. He has a QB so his biggest flaw is mitigated.

Shawn
09-30-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm good with Cowher returning. He knows how to motivate men and he understands fundamentals. Also, other than not wanting Big Ben, our drafts were better under his watch.

Cowher hired good people around him, and overseen staff and players as any manager would. He did it well for a number of years. He is a known commodity. He knows the Steeler way, and mentality...doesn't just give it a wash and wax. I am convinced he can bring the swagger back into the Burgh.

Steelhere10
09-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Hmm, so defensive minded Cowher who delegated Offense to the OC...is being blamed for running Bettis alot? Come on. We had some good O's under Cowher and Cowher wasn't the OC. He just needs a hire a good one.

You hit the nail on the head. We had some good OC and some great talent under Cowher and in 15 YEARS he rewarded us with one SB and many AFCCG CHOKES.... no thanks

steelz09
09-30-2013, 01:12 PM
You hit the nail on the head. We had some good OC and some great talent under Cowher and in 15 YEARS he rewarded us with one SB and many AFCCG COKES.... no thanks

Like I said in my previous statement.... Cowher's biggest flaw was the QB position. When he got one, he one the SB. He would still have one and I think he could turn this team around QUICKLY.

Steelhere10
09-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Nothing in the rule book that says you can't win without an elite QB as long as talent is Surrounded. Just ask Flacco, Dilfer, Brad J and Jim Mc just to name a few. Neil and Tommy M was good enough and he still choked, at least as good as the ones mentioned.

Shawn
09-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Like I said in my previous statement.... Cowher's biggest flaw was the QB position. When he got one, he one the SB. He would still have one and I think he could turn this team around QUICKLY.

When Cowher got his QB, he won a SB. We are 0-4 with Ben at the helm without a win in sight.

Steelhere10
09-30-2013, 01:41 PM
When Cowher got his QB, he won a SB. We are 0-4 with Ben at the helm without a win in sight.
The same QB who is on a league record pace in the TO category, with the Two pretenders at the tackles position and aging defense in which over half the salary is committed TO? UNLESS Cowher is a miracle worker in which we all know he's not by his choke jobs
I say No thanks. If you going to clean house start fresh.

steelz09
09-30-2013, 01:47 PM
The same QB who is on a league record pace in the TO category, with the Two pretenders at the tackles position and aging defense in which over half the salary is committed TO? UNLESS Cowher is a miracle worker in which we all know he's not by his choke jobs

That's what happens to a team built by Cowher & Colbert is replaced by a team built by Tomlin & Colbert. You become a loser but at least you get the catchy 1 line phrases that comes with Tomlin's press conferences.

Shawn
09-30-2013, 01:51 PM

We both know Ben played well under Cowher. Why isn't he now?

steelz09
09-30-2013, 01:52 PM

No excuse for Ben's TO problem. Being careless with the football would be an understatement.

This is what happens when a team built by Cowher & Colbert is replaced by a team built by Tomlin & Colbert. You become a loser but at least you get the catchy 1 line phrases that comes with Tomlin's press conferences.

Steelhere10
09-30-2013, 01:55 PM
And he played well for Tomlin, 1SB WIN and another appearance. It might just be Ben on the downside of his career, coaching can't make a player not throw ints or hold the ball like a loaf of bread. Besides things that you do long enough there will always be Defensive C to exploit it.

Oviedo
09-30-2013, 01:59 PM

...and he wouldn't had gotten that one QB if he had gotten his way. We would have ended up with Shawn Andrews at OT. Thank God Rooney stepped in.

Cowher never valued the QB position in his just don't make a mistake approach which is why he never had a good one. That is the reason he was a play off failure when you need a star QB to win the big one.

feltdizz
09-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Part of the reason this team is in the crapper is because we held onto old players for too long. No thank you.. Cowher is too old school IMO. We would probably have an improved running game but the D would still stink at critical times and our passing game and OL protection would still be a problem.

..and the ST's would REALLY suck.

buccoray61
09-30-2013, 03:05 PM
We seem to love bringing back players, why not a coach?

As Don Henley once said "Don't look back. You can never look back."

Sword
09-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Maybe the solution is to look at others teams that have turned things around and see what they are doing?
Lets look outside of Pittsburgh....

birtikidis
09-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Hold that thought.Yeah. shh, shh, shh, shh.Come on. Come here. Come here. Come on.Come on, everyoneAll right, this is it.This is the play.kay. This is the play.This is the play. kay?The quarterback. Two receiverslined up to the left, one to the right.There's a flanker lined up to the leftbehind the quarterback.uh, okay.He gives the ball...No, he doesn't get the ball.The receiver goesall the way over there to the left. once the quarterback has the ball,he fakes to the left.No. He fakes to the right.He doesn't fakeHe thinks about faking e pretends to fake.

ikestops85
09-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Because now they aren't aggressive. They are so concerned with TOP that they've slowed down their own QB.

Ben made a career out of being a fast starter, now it's just trying to be deliberate, plodding, sloooooooooooooooow, craaaaaaaaawl, all for the sake of TOP.

88.4 (accident year)

62.0 (shoulder)

-------------------------

Those are Ben's first quarter QB rankings from years 2004-2009.

But then, after Art demanded a commitment to the run after 2009?

See the change? They've taken a QB who kicked ass early in games, set the pace, and slowed him down.

And now the team's paying for it because when you try to steal wins late? Sometimes your the windshield, and sometimes your the the bug.

All because resting our defense became the priority.

So it's Rooney's fault that Ben runs the hurry up so slow we get a delay of game penalty? I see ;)

So it's Rooney's fault that Ben holds on to the ball so long that he gets sacked and it takes us out of FG range? I see ;)

So it's Rooney's fault that, down by seven and on the seven yard line, where the only thing you can't do is throw short of the goal line or take a sack Ben takes a sack? I see ;)

So it's Rooney's fault that when Ben does one of his magical escapes from a D lineman he looks downfield and overthrows his receiver instead of running for the 1st down and keep the drive alive? I see ;)

Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Slapstick
09-30-2013, 06:17 PM
When you say "pervert", do you mean Ben or Haley?

skyhawk
09-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Who cares if he is a pervert? As long as he can coach....oh wait...

Steelhere10
09-30-2013, 08:48 PM
When the team loses this board become Eddie Murphy stand up at the Apollo lmao.

steelz09
09-30-2013, 08:51 PM
1. I would bet in 10 YEARS, that Ben hasn't had 10 DOG penalties.

2. Ditto for this, I would bet this hasn't happened 15 times in 10 years. Maybe not even 10.

3. No, on the last play it's the golf coaches fault for not chipping Jared Allen who destroyed his LT all day. The last two plays, Allen had a free shot at Ben.

4. Ben was told to stay in the pocket. You can see he wants to run, but he's hesitant to. That's what happens when ownership, and not coaches, demand he "tweak his game". Ben, being the good and loyal minion, is listening to the QB expert up in the owner's box.

Art made their bed by hiring a pervert to run his offense, and demanding a HOF QB stop playing the way that won games and SB titles.

Now he can lie in it.

I bet the golf coach is telling Ben to carry the ball with reckless abandon....A struggling team really needs all these turnovers. I think that helps things.

feltdizz
09-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Ben isn't allowed to run? I've heard it all now...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-30-2013, 11:30 PM
I'd like to bring back Cowher to replace Colbert!!

SteelBucks
09-30-2013, 11:48 PM
I'd love to have Cowher back but you have to figure, based on history, that Tomlin's job is extremely safe.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Steelz I sure hope so. I am more unhappy with Tomlin than Haley...and that is saying something.

I am back and forth on the Tomlin/Haley thing.If Tomlin wanted to keep BA, and now he has Haley, can you blame Tomlin for any of the offensive problems?

Eich
10-01-2013, 12:19 PM
I'd love to have Cowher back but you have to figure, based on history, that Tomlin's job is extremely safe.

I also think that when Cowher comes back to coaching, he's going to demand a ton of control - something which Rooney isn't going to agree to. Wasn't that one of the reasons he left in the first place?

Eich
10-01-2013, 12:21 PM
I am back and forth on the Tomlin/Haley thing.If Tomlin wanted to keep BA, and now he has Haley, can you blame Tomlin for any of the offensive problems?

I'm no fan of Haley. But by most accounts, the Haley offense was doing well last year before Ben went down. Since then, the offense has gotten progressively worse. Is that all Haley's fault?

steelz09
10-01-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm no fan of Haley. But by most accounts, the Haley offense was doing well last year before Ben went down. Since then, the offense has gotten progressively worse. Is that all Haley's fault?

I didn't think the playcalling was that bad the previous 2 games. The first two was just horrendous.

steelz09
10-01-2013, 12:34 PM

I know a lot of people think Tomlin's job is safe. Based on the Rooney's history, that's a fair assessment although I'm not so sure his job should be safe and that includes both coordinators as well.

Let's spin this a slightly different way....

Most people think that Tomlin wanted to keep Arians and the Rooneys and possibly Colbert overruled him. There is evidence to support that theory. With that being said, If the Rooney's don't have the confidence to allow Tomlin to hire his own OC then wouldn't that be a slight indication that Tomlin's job is in jeopardy? To me, that shows some lack of faith in your HC's ability to hire. Does it not? I have to wonder if they also pulled in the reigns on Tomlin in regards to this draft. Tomlin isn't a novice HC anymore. He has experience. Normally, HC's gain more control during their tenure, not less. That very well could indicate a bit of "loss in faith" in Tomlin by ownership IMO.

feltdizz
10-01-2013, 01:04 PM
I know a lot of people think Tomlin's job is safe. Based on the Rooney's history, that's a fair assessment although I'm not so sure his job should be safe and that includes both coordinators as well.

Let's spin this a slightly different way....

Most people think that Tomlin wanted to keep Arians and the Rooneys and possibly Colbert overruled him. There is evidence to support that theory. With that being said, If the Rooney's don't have the confidence to allow Tomlin to hire his own OC then wouldn't that be a slight indication that Tomlin's job is in jeopardy? To me, that shows some lack of faith in your HC's ability to hire. Does it not? I have to wonder if they also pulled in the reigns on Tomlin in regards to this draft. Tomlin isn't a novice HC anymore. He has experience. Normally, HC's gain more control during their tenure, not less. That very well could indicate a bit of "loss in faith" in Tomlin by ownership IMO.

I bet you get excited and then really frustrated during FA...

Slapstick
10-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Except Tomlin was proven right...

steelz09
10-01-2013, 01:23 PM
I bet you get excited and then really frustrated during FA...

Huh? That's really the best insight you can provide. Provide some actual insight for once. People are providing actual facts or legit arguments (on both sides) and all you can do is say: Tomlin won in the past so he must be a great coach.

My post is an assessment of a situation that happened and it begs the question.... Why wasn't the HC allowed to keep/hire his own OC?

If a CEO wants to keep his CIO but the Board of Directors override his decision and hires someone external, that typically is a bad sign for the CEO. You can use the same analogy for just about ANYTHING and it never bodes well. Another example... A principal wants to keep his current vice principal but the SuperIndentent overrides his decision and hires a new external vice principal. How does that look for the Principal?

Except Tomlin was proven right...

Wow, that's incredible insight.

Slapstick
10-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Reportedly, Tomlin wanted to keep Arians...instead, the Steelers announced his "retirement"...Arians goes on to be OC for a playoff team, earning Coach of the Year honors...

Now, he's a head coach of a team with a better record than the Steelers...

Now, that's incredible insight...

steelz09
10-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Reportedly, Tomlin wanted to keep Arians...instead, the Steelers announced his "retirement"...Arians goes on to be OC for a playoff team, earning Coach of the Year honors...

Now, he's a head coach of a team with a better record than the Steelers...

Now, that's incredible insight...

And again... you missed the point and completely avoided the question. Why am I not surprised?

Slapstick
10-01-2013, 01:53 PM
And again... you missed the point. Congratulations.

I didn't miss the point...

If Tomlin has "lost the faith of the Rooneys", perhaps they should take a look at the results of their decisions instead of interfering with Tomlin...

steelz09
10-01-2013, 01:55 PM
I didn't miss the point...

If Tomlin has "lost the faith of the Rooneys", perhaps they should take a look at the results of their decisions as opposed to the results of what they wanted...

Regardless of whether he was right or not.... Why would they overrule him? If they thought his decision was the right one, then why overrule him?

Slapstick
10-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Regardless of whether he was right or not.... Why would they overrule him? If they thought his decision was the right one, then why overrule him?

I would love to know the answer...

After I overruled a subordinate and it blew up in my face, I might be more inclined to trust his decision making...

I've dealt with periphally similar situations...who knows if it's ego...

steelz09
10-01-2013, 02:08 PM
I would love to know the answer...

After I overruled a subordinate and it blew up in my face, I might be more inclined to trust his decision making...

I've dealt with periphally similar situations...who knows if it's ego...

Exactly... It's not like Tomlin is a low level employee either. He's at the top of food chain with only the FO being higher. Regardless of whether Tomlin was right or wrong, I would think Tomlin was pissed that he was overruled because it shows lack of trust. He's the HC, I'm pretty sure most HC's in this league have a say on who becomes their OC.

Maybe the Rooneys will look back and say.... Tomlin, you were correct, we should have kept Arians.

Or maybe, they'll say that they made a mistake with the Haley hiring but stand their ground that firing Arians was the right move.

Or maybe neither....