PDA

View Full Version : All I Can Do Is Laugh

flippy
09-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Things have gotten so bad, all I can do is laugh at the Steelers, laugh at the fans, and laugh at myself. This season is literally a comedy of errors. Almost the instant we step on the field, something zany happens. A missed block, a turnover, a missed tackle, a brain fart, an argument on the sideline, and on and on. At first it feels a little unsettling, but once we get into the rhythm of mistakes, it truly becomes legendary comedy.

As fans our expectations are through the roof and rightfully so. When the team doesn't live up to those expectations, a violent melt down erupts inside. We want so badly to enjoy these moments of our lives, that we see a SuperBowl run coming in a 9 yard run. Only to realize on the very next play as linemen fall over their own feet and teammates that we're likely going to have a chance at our next franchise QB cause we're on the road to 0-16. Steeler Nation is schitzo. And it's understandable. It's a crowd mentality. We're all weak minded. Some of us have to protect our spirit by clinging to hope. Others have to protect their insecurities by clinging to being right all along. Heck even those that thought they were rational have lost themselves already in this season. Our demons show their real colors in the challenging times. This season would be sad if it wasn't so magically entertaining. I feel pretty certain that I when I laugh at such an inappropriate time, I'm the most messed up and poorly adjusted individual in all of Steeler Nation.

But how can you not? No other response makes sense. We want to fix the unfixable. We have better ideas than the owners and coaches amidst our irrational reactions. Ben overthrows a receiver by 10 yards - Haley's fault. The offense turns the ball over 5 times, Dick's fault for not getting 6 turn overs of his own. Our tackles suck - let's trade Ben to AZ for some picks to get better tackles. And even the reactions that seem rational are no such thing. They're just subtle reactions that mask our insecurities. Our Steelers' addiction isn't rational. It's an escape from a great big ball of crap. It's an illusion to protect us from something deep and dark. And when the drug stops working what do you do? What choice do you have? You can let this stuff slowly give you heart disease or you can make it quick and jump off the Clemente or you can laugh. However you react, it's completely irrational. No matter how well adjusted you tell yourself that you are, you aren't. Its ok. None of us are. To really think about it is truly enlightening. The darkest moments are the only time it's easy to see the light.

It's in these times, I appreciate a guy like Mike Tomlin. No nonsense. So matter of fact. All the while Rome is burning down around him. Yet he continues to be calm. He has an opportunity to do what we all so desperately want to do - fix this hot mess. And just like us, it doesn't seem like he has any idea what to do either. And how could he? The Titanic is sinking and it's not like you can drain the ocean to keep the ship above water. But he presses on. And keeps it simple. And realizes all you can do is what you can do. Stay relaxed and we can save some of the people. And others will be lost by the wayside. It is what it is. We'll do what we can and carry on. No other choice. Even in the toughest of situations, heroic acts will emerge. And we'll probably look back on them with great reverence one day in the future. But today, while we're in the disaster, it's pretty hard to see them. If we could all be a little more like Mike, we might have a little more clarity.

So what's the point of this post? Well, there really isn't. There isn't much point in any of the posts today. Or yesterday. Or tomorrow. So I'll leave it at this. Thank you. Thank you Pittsburgh Steelers. Thank you Steeler Nation. Thank you life. For keeping me entertained. Life is a chase toward death. And for 3 hours a week, you make me forget about that chase. And the passion of Steeler Nation makes me forget about that chase for the rest of the week. No matter how bad things ever get, always remember it could be worse.

What's that saying - When life gives you lemons, laugh. Because life isn't real. And life couldn't give you lemons. You gotta buy your own darn lemons if you want lemons.

Now back to reality, 13-3 baby!!!!!! Let's roll mofos!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notleadpoisoned
09-23-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm still completely stuck on that whole "the standard is the standard" thing. I have no idea what that means anymore or if it ever really did mean anything. Kind of like saying "it's better to burn out than to fade away." Not a freaking clue.

Captain Lemming
09-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Things have gotten so bad, all I can do is laugh at the Steelers, laugh at the fans, and laugh at myself. This season is literally a comedy of errors. Almost the instant we step on the field, something zany happens. A missed block, a turnover, a missed tackle, a brain fart, an argument on the sideline, and on and on. At first it feels a little unsettling, but once we get into the rhythm of mistakes, it truly becomes legendary comedy.

As fans our expectations are through the roof and rightfully so. When the team doesn't live up to those expectations, a violent melt down erupts inside. We want so badly to enjoy these moments of our lives, that we see a SuperBowl run coming in a 9 yard run. Only to realize on the very next play as linemen fall over their own feet and teammates that we're likely going to have a chance at our next franchise QB cause we're on the road to 0-16. Steeler Nation is schitzo. And it's understandable. It's a crowd mentality. We're all weak minded. Some of us have to protect our spirit by clinging to hope. Others have to protect their insecurities by clinging to being right all along. Heck even those that thought they were rational have lost themselves already in this season. Our demons show their real colors in the challenging times. This season would be sad if it wasn't so magically entertaining. I feel pretty certain that I when I laugh at such an inappropriate time, I'm the most messed up and poorly adjusted individual in all of Steeler Nation.

But how can you not? No other response makes sense. We want to fix the unfixable. We have better ideas than the owners and coaches amidst our irrational reactions. Ben overthrows a receiver by 10 yards - Haley's fault. The offense turns the ball over 5 times, Dick's fault for not getting 6 turn overs of his own. Our tackles suck - let's trade Ben to AZ for some picks to get better tackles. And even the reactions that seem rational are no such thing. They're just subtle reactions that mask our insecurities. Our Steelers' addiction isn't rational. It's an escape from a great big ball of crap. It's an illusion to protect us from something deep and dark. And when the drug stops working what do you do? What choice do you have? You can let this stuff slowly give you heart disease or you can make it quick and jump off the Clemente or you can laugh. However you react, it's completely irrational. No matter how well adjusted you tell yourself that you are, you aren't. Its ok. None of us are. To really think about it is truly enlightening. The darkest moments are the only time it's easy to see the light.

It's in these times, I appreciate a guy like Mike Tomlin. No nonsense. So matter of fact. All the while Rome is burning down around him. Yet he continues to be calm. He has an opportunity to do what we all so desperately want to do - fix this hot mess. And just like us, it doesn't seem like he has any idea what to do either. And how could he? The Titanic is sinking and it's not like you can drain the ocean to keep the ship above water. But he presses on. And keeps it simple. And realizes all you can do is what you can do. Stay relaxed and we can save some of the people. And others will be lost by the wayside. It is what it is. We'll do what we can and carry on. No other choice. Even in the toughest of situations, heroic acts will emerge. And we'll probably look back on them with great reverence one day in the future. But today, while we're in the disaster, it's pretty hard to see them. If we could all be a little more like Mike, we might have a little more clarity.

So what's the point of this post? Well, there really isn't. There isn't much point in any of the posts today. Or yesterday. Or tomorrow. So I'll leave it at this. Thank you. Thank you Pittsburgh Steelers. Thank you Steeler Nation. Thank you life. For keeping me entertained. Life is a chase toward death. And for 3 hours a week, you make me forget about that chase. And the passion of Steeler Nation makes me forget about that chase for the rest of the week. No matter how bad things ever get, always remember it could be worse.

What's that saying - When life gives you lemons, laugh. Because life isn't real. And life couldn't give you lemons. You gotta buy your own darn lemons if you want lemons.

Most rational post this season. And it was done by the phycho clown (BTW dude you must bring back the Mcdonald Joker, it is awesome).
It is what it is people. You think BA fixes THIS mess? What is HIS record when Ben is having an off night, we lose the turnover battles by WIDE margins, receivers cant catch and the run game is THIS bad?

Flippy has got all of that rational stuff......THEN ENDS WITH 13-3.

You be CRAZY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V0VTlrCzW8

Slapstick
09-23-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm still completely stuck on that whole "the standard is the standard" thing. I have no idea what that means anymore or if it ever really did mean anything. Kind of like saying "it's better to burn out than to fade away." Not a freaking clue.

Actually, both cliches make perfect sense...

"The standard is the standard"...unfortunately, many of our players are not playing up to that standard...

The standard does not change...the player needs to rise to meet that expectation...

steelz09
09-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Actually, both cliches make perfect sense...

"The standard is the standard"...unfortunately, many of our players are not playing up to that standard...

The standard does not change...the player needs to rise to meet that expectation...

We have been be living up to the standard . The same standard that's been set since last year. The standard of poor coaching, poor execution, poor personnel decisions and most importantly........ the standard of losing.

flippy
09-23-2013, 12:17 PM
BTW dude you must bring back the Mcdonald Joker, it is awesome

It's the link in my signature. But for some reason, the graphic doesn't show up anymore since the board got updated a while back. I don't know how to fix it.

Oviedo
09-23-2013, 12:17 PM

Well said. We are what we are. Time to rebuild.

:Clap:Clap:Clap:Clap:Clap:Clap

Notleadpoisoned
09-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Haley fired Chan Gailey in 2009 because he wanted to run a spread offense, similar to the one we switched to in 1995.

Speaking of Chan Gailey I heard that's he's currently unemployed and looking for work.

flippy
09-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Flippy has got all of that rational stuff......THEN ENDS WITH 13-3.

You be CRAZY

One man's crazy is another man's sanity. I prefer to think of myself as rationally optimistic. ;)

In the context of life, is there really any purely rational emotion besides optimism? Think about that. And then tell me who be crazy. :)

Captain Lemming
09-23-2013, 12:52 PM
In the context of life, is there really any purely rational emotion besides optimism? ......:)

I believe in this context the above line is supposed to include the expression "YOUNG GRASSHOPPER".

It can either precede or end the sentence.

As said "young grasshopper" my reply would be the equally sage: "whaaa?????"

http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/439/563/439563510_640.jpg

Shawn
09-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Randy Fichtner has earned the chance to be the OC here. He's paid his dues as the WR coach, and the QB Coach.

So, because someone "pays his dues" he is entitled to promotion? Many pay their dues, few get promoted. Promotion involves proving yourself. I have seen nothing from his work that say, wow this is a terrific coach. Who has he coached up?

Shoe
09-23-2013, 07:41 PM

This is the most irritating thing about Tomlin. I'm so sick of hearing his sound bites... every one of them has some cliche straight from the "leader", "head coach" handbook. He needs to STFU and give Bill Belichick answers, or give answers like loose cannon type (loser) coaches (Mora, Herm Edwards, Singletary).

These fn cliches make me not listen to his $h!t even more.

Jooser
09-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Unfortunately this season, we've been living up to the Cleveland standard, but we couldn't even achieve that last night.....:wft

tiproast
09-23-2013, 08:11 PM
He needs to STFU and give Bill Belichick answers
One of the best parts of rooting for a team with Belichick as coach are the post-game press conferences. Today's was a good example:

Q: Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, Gronkowski?
A: He was inactive.

Q: But what about probe, probe, probe Gronkowski?

Q: Do you think babble babble babble Gronkowski repeat myself?

pfelix73
09-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Well said Flippy. Probably the best post I've read on here in quite a while....

Just like Emperor I Chuck Noll once said.... It's never as bad as you think it is, nor is it as good as you think it is.......

fordfixer
09-23-2013, 10:38 PM
If the standard is the standard I think we need to raise the bar ............................................alot

thor75
09-23-2013, 11:30 PM
The Standard is the Standard...................

Flasteel
09-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Awesome friggin' post Flip. Any Steelers beat writer could only hope to pen such an articulate and thought-provoking perspective. Bravo.

AzStillers1989
09-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Great post. Enjoyed it. And btw on your signiture. If u save the photo to ur computer ,by right clicking it and then clicking save, you can then go to your profile and click on edit signiture. Then u can upload it to show the picture rather than just the link. That's how I got mine. I photoshopped all those emblems to one picture and saved it and uploaded it.

Chadman
09-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Flippy is mad. Insane. Crazy.

Anyone that refers to Tomlin as Pudding in all his posts, as this exception to the rule proves, is obviously a nut.

Besides, Mora has it right. Diddley-poo.

flippy
09-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Great post. Enjoyed it. And btw on your signiture. If u save the photo to ur computer ,by right clicking it and then clicking save, you can then go to your profile and click on edit signiture. Then u can upload it to show the picture rather than just the link. That's how I got mine. I photoshopped all those emblems to one picture and saved it and uploaded it.

Thanks bro! I figured out how to update my sig. Wooohoooo!!!!

AzStillers1989
09-24-2013, 01:36 PM
No problem. It just wasn't the same all this time without your sig showing up haha

flippy
09-24-2013, 01:53 PM
No problem. It just wasn't the same all this time without your sig showing up haha

lol. maybe 13-3 is a legit possibility now. ;)

Captain Lemming
09-24-2013, 02:23 PM

Ahhhh, good to be reminded of the crazy in you Flip :D

AzStillers1989
09-24-2013, 03:28 PM
lol. maybe 13-3 is a legit possibility now. ;)
I think your right. Your sig was the missing peice all this time. We r going to destroy the Vikings in England hahahaha

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2013, 09:12 PM
It was my fault. I had the Jarvis Jones creepy Subway meat sculpture as my offseason post-draft sig. I said I was going back to the good ol' Gladiator/Terrible Towels/Billy Madison "I Award You No Points And May God Have Mercy On Your Soul" Quote sig once the season started. However, I did not change it until today. My bad. I'm going to have to go back to doing Renegade threads again after the bye (provided that Jigawatts agrees to be the first to post after me on those threads with his patented "The jig is up" response, of course).

flippy
09-30-2013, 09:21 PM
It was my fault. I had the Jarvis Jones creepy Subway meat sculpture as my offseason post-draft sig. I said I was going back to the good ol' Gladiator/Terrible Towels/Billy Madison "I Award You No Points And May God Have Mercy On Your Soul" Quote sig once the season started. However, I did not change it until today. My bad. I'm going to have to go back to doing Renegade threads again after the bye (provided that Jigawatts agrees to be the first to post after me on those threads with his patented "The jig is up" response, of course).

Now I'm starting to feel like 12-4 is a real possibility ;)

steelfin
09-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Now I'm starting to feel like 12-4 is a real possibility ;)

I am with you Flip!!! :tt2

flippy
10-01-2013, 04:41 PM
I am with you Flip!!! :tt2

Glad someone's on board. 12- 4 baby!!!!!

Sugar
10-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Glad someone's on board. 12- 4 baby!!!!!

Winless before the bye, unbeatable thereafter. We just gave the rest of the league a head start before we pound them to powder. Daddy like!

flippy
10-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Winless before the bye, unbeatable thereafter. We just gave the rest of the league a head start before we pound them to powder. Daddy like!

Yeah, we just needed everyone to forget about us and count us as an easy win.