PDA

View Full Version : Steelers likely to reconstruct blocking style

Jooser
09-19-2013, 01:22 AM
per PPG http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-likely-to-reconstruct-blocking-style-703879/

Sept 19, 2013
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have rushed for 75 yards in the first two games of the season, which is the same amount of yards "Fast" Willie Parker covered in the longest run in Super Bowl history in 2006. It has taken the current Steelers running backs 31 attempts to match the historic trip Parker took through the Seattle defense in Super Bowl XL.

If that's not enough to drive the point home about the Steelers' running woes then consider this: 34 players in the NFL this season have rushed for more yards than the entire Steelers team.

It should come as no surprise then that the paltry rushing statistics represent the worst two-game start to a season in franchise history, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

The leading rusher Monday night in a 20-10 loss against the Cincinnati Bengals was Felix Jones, who had 37 yards on 10 carries. The leading rusher in the Week 1 loss against Tennessee was LaRod Stephens-Howling, who had 19 yards on six attempts.

No wonder coach Mike Tomlin channeled Hall of Fame coach Chuck Noll Tuesday when he was asked about running-game issues.

"The problems are many," Tomlin said.

The coaches have identified the major problems and are trying to implement solutions this week. They are shrinking the playbook and planning to call more outside zone running plays.

The Steelers practiced zone blocking through the spring and summer and expected it to be a staple of the offense, but offensive coordinator Todd Haley has not called one zone running play since Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey was injured early in the opener against Tennessee on an outside zone play.

Right tackle Marcus Gilbert said using the zone blocking more will help jump-start the running game because opposing teams understand how to stop the plays the Steelers have been running for years in their power- blocking scheme.

"We're going to use that a lot more," Gilbert said Wednesday after practice. "We barely used it in first two games. That will really help us out. Teams saw we were a gap, downhill team. Now, we can throw different stuff at them and change it up.
"We can go power or use a zone scheme. We got away from it after Pouncey went down. We haven't used it. That was working for us in the preseason when we were knocking out yards. I think we'll come back to that this week."

The Steelers have not rushed for more than 100 yards in eight consecutive regular-season games, dating to 2012. This from a franchise that used to churn out individual 100-yard rushers on an almost weekly basis.

Jerome Bettis had 50 100-yard rushing games in his career. Franco Harris did it 47 times. Parker, in a much shorter career, did it 26 times.

But it appears opposing teams have caught on how to stop the Steelers. Or the current linemen aren't as effective as their predecessors. Whatever the case, the zone blocking is making a comeback, and the linemen are buying in that it will help them.

"A lot of teams know as a power team," Gilbert said. "When they see us in certain formations, they're going to bring a safety down to the box. Teams know who we are. They study us for years. We have to get this outside zone scheme going so it can free up our receivers. We'll open it up and go play-action so we can create big plays for the receivers.

"We're going to go back to what we're best at. That's by minimizing the playbook and doing all the plays we're good at."

[U]Miller returns to practice

Tight end Heath Miller was a full participant in practice for the first time since last season, and his availability for the Chicago game Sunday night will be determined later in the week. Miller, rehabilitating from major knee surgery, was activated to the 53-man roster after training camp but did not play in the first two games.

"We'll see how it feels in the morning and try to keep pushing it and see if it holds up," Miller said after practice. "After two or three days in a row, we'll see where we're at. I felt pretty good. I'm encouraged by how I felt today."

Adjusting the approach

The first step in solving a problem is recognizing that there is one. In years past, the Steelers dictated to other teams and forced them to adjust.

With an 0-2 record and problems aplenty on offense and defense, veteran safety and captain Ryan Clark said the players and coaches have to take a different approach.

"We have to find the best way for this team to be effective, the best way for this group of people to be effective," Clark said.

"What we have to do now is lean on our strengths, not to necessarily mask our weaknesses, but to overcome our weaknesses. The people on the team have to understand where we're strong, what we're good at. The coaches are finding ways where the positives can outweigh the negatives.

Quick hits

In addition to Miller, nose tackle Steve McLendon (hamstring) and cornerback Curtis Brown (illness) were full participants in practice. ... Running back Le'Veon Bell (foot) and outside linebacker Jarvis Jones (heel) were limited participants... Cornerback Cortez Allen and defensive end Brett Keisel (calf) did not practice. ... The Steelers signed defensive back Devin Smith to the practice squad to replace Isaiah Green, who was activated to the 53-man roster Tuesday after kicker Shayne Graham was released. Smith, who played at Wisconsin, spent training camp with the Steelers.

pittpete
09-19-2013, 01:42 AM
They practiced it all Spring and Summer and Haley refuses to call any runs using ZBS.
Wow

Chadman
09-19-2013, 02:15 AM
They practiced it all Spring and Summer and Haley refuses to call any runs using ZBS.
Wow

Took the words right out of Chadman's mouth..

Jooser
09-19-2013, 02:19 AM
Yep, something's gotta give. The players and coaches are clearly not even in the same area code, much less same page....

flippy
09-19-2013, 03:22 AM
Couple things didnt make sense here:

1. If we're gonna use a power blocking scheme, doesn't Dwyer make the most sense to carry the ball given that he made the most yards out of this scheme last year and it was the zone blocking in the preseason that confused him at times.

2. Why didn't we keep Max. I thought we got rid of him because we were going to zone blocking. And we didn't zone block. And Ben got pummelled even more. There's some crazy missing logic here.

3. Haley is a tool. Self explanitory and already mentioned.

Slapstick
09-19-2013, 05:55 AM
After you call a zone play and your prized 1st round draft pick ends the season of your prized All-Pro Center, I would perhaps be reluctant to go back to that well...apparently, the scheme was not being followed by Pouncey or DeCastro...

papillon
09-19-2013, 06:58 AM
The team is total disarray offensively. It's as if there is total chaos on offense. The Steelers hire a line coach that uses the ZBS, they draft and train linemen to implement the ZBS and then Haley doesn't use the tools he's given. He's trying to pound a nail with a screwdriver. He really needs to go.

Pappy

Discipline of Steel
09-19-2013, 07:13 AM
I don't claim to know as much about formations, plays, and blocking schemes as a paid NFL coach. But I do play sports regularly and one thing I know is you have to have your head in the game. I was very irritated to hear the announcers say we were substituting players after the Paulson catch/fumble when the obvious approach would be to get to the line and get a play off. Assume victory formation and take a knee for crying out loud! Aside from his approach on how to utilize the players, Haley needed to run a play and secure that gain, first and foremost! That lack of attentiveness to the situation could very well have cost us the game.

Starlifter
09-19-2013, 07:32 AM
did anyone besides me laugh when gilbert was quoted as saying "we're known as a power running team"? maybe he was referring to the DE's that keep running over him.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-19-2013, 08:11 AM
The Steelers practiced zone blocking through the spring and summer and expected it to be a staple of the offense, but offensive coordinator Todd Haley has not called one zone running play since Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey was injured early in the opener against Tennessee on an outside zone play.

And Gilbert said:
"We can go power or use a zone scheme. We got away from it after Pouncey went down.

I don't know a lot about blocking, but you guys that are getting on Haley for not calling any plays using it - it sounds like we ran some before Pouncey went down (?) - are you saying Haley has to go because he didn't call zone blocking plays AFTER that? I'm wondering if maybe we held off because we didn't have a center who knew our scheme when he went down ...?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Clark said:

"We have to find the best way for this team to be effective, the best way for this group of people to be effective," ..."What we have to do now is lean on our strengths, not to necessarily mask our weaknesses, but to overcome our weaknesses. The people on the team have to understand where we're strong, what we're good at.

This sounds to me like Clark saying the players we've got on the field aren't athletic enough to make the plays, so we're going to make that adjustment. Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much. It's not even clear to me from the article that Clark was talking about the Offense, it could have been a random quote used to fill out the article!

Steelhere10
09-19-2013, 08:17 AM
WowI posted about this Monday and I guess some of you thought I was joking. The title of the thread is something like Practice zone blocking all summer.

Steelhere10
09-19-2013, 08:22 AM
http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/41400-Waste-all-summer-with-zone-blocking

Steelhere10
09-19-2013, 08:42 AM
One more thing to add and this shows what type of moron Haley is, the Bears would be a perfect team to run mostly Power with their smaller front four and this will be the game where they run a lot of zone.

phillyesq
09-19-2013, 08:48 AM
It would be great to think that there is a plan or a system on offense, but it sure doesn't seem like there is.

I think that all this talk about zone blocking is just subterfuge. The game will open with a Paulson to Cotchery double reverse.

feltdizz
09-19-2013, 09:10 AM
And Gilbert said:

I don't know a lot about blocking, but you guys that are getting on Haley for not calling any plays using it - it sounds like we ran some before Pouncey went down (?) - are you saying Haley has to go because he didn't call zone blocking plays AFTER that? I'm wondering if maybe we held off because we didn't have a center who knew our scheme when he went down ...?

it was one series before Pouncey went down... and I'm pretty sure the back up center would know how to block, wait.. take that back. These guys don't look like they know much of anything right now.

feltdizz
09-19-2013, 09:12 AM
It would be great to think that there is a plan or a system on offense, but it sure doesn't seem like there is.

I think that all this talk about zone blocking is just subterfuge. The game will open with a Paulson to Cotchery double reverse.

we had more than enough time to implement our schemes but we were more worried about showcasing Dwyer even though we knew we weren't going to keep him.

Maybe next year we will use the preseason properly.

Ghost
09-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Some of this has to fall on Tomlin. Has to! There's no way the head coach doesn't have final say. Are we really to believe Haley has just arbitrarily decided not to use the scheme practiced since OTA's began 4 months ago? He is the sole determining factor? I call BS. Tomlin is watching the games (I see him on the sidelines). Why wouldn't he step in and insist it be used. He has the authority.

Maybe the line can't run it properly and the DeCastro incident showed that. There's got to be more to this situation than the OC "doesn't feel like it" and Head Coach is turning a blind eye.

papillon
09-19-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't claim to know as much about formations, plays, and blocking schemes as a paid NFL coach. But I do play sports regularly and one thing I know is you have to have your head in the game. I was very irritated to hear the announcers say we were substituting players after the Paulson catch/fumble when the obvious approach would be to get to the line and get a play off. Assume victory formation and take a knee for crying out loud! Aside from his approach on how to utilize the players, Haley needed to run a play and secure that gain, first and foremost! That lack of attentiveness to the situation could very well have cost us the game.

Unfortunately, I don't believe it was a lack of attentiveness, I believe it was an insistence that he (Haley) runs this offense and not Ben. So, rather than let Ben get the team to the LOS and run a play, Haley waved it off and sent his personnel package onto the field, and, as we know now, this extra time gave Marvin Lewis the time to challenge the play.

Arrogance and ego are Haley's forte.

Pappy

steelblood
09-19-2013, 11:22 AM
And Gilbert said:

Exactly.

It is pretty clear why we haven't run much ZBS yet. Still, I am not sure it will matter much. And, why announce part of our game plan?

chiken
09-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately, I don't believe it was a lack of attentiveness, I believe it was an insistence that he (Haley) runs this offense and not Ben. So, rather than let Ben get the team to the LOS and run a play, Haley waved it off and sent his personnel package onto the field, and, as we know now, this extra time gave Marvin Lewis the time to challenge the play.

Pappy

thanks Pap.. I was so mad watching that play, screaming at the Tv.. I couldn't understand why we were not continuing Up'tempo.. but yea.. that makes sense.. There were guys running all over the place on and off the field and Ben was looking confused.. I Blamed him but now I see why he couldn't just run a play.. and why he wasn't Apologetic afterwards (wasn't his fault)

papillon
09-19-2013, 01:49 PM
thanks Pap.. I was so mad watching that play, screaming at the Tv.. I couldn't understand why we were not continuing Up'tempo.. but yea.. that makes sense.. There were guys running all over the place on and off the field and Ben was looking confused.. I Blamed him but now I see why he couldn't just run a play.. and why he wasn't Apologetic afterwards (wasn't his fault)

That's my opinion of what I saw at the time and based on the fact that Ben has run a no huddle up tempo offense before and he can get his team to the LOS and run a play rather quickly. All the confusion leads me to believe that either Haley did as I described above or Haley believed that it was a good catch and wasn't going to be overturned, either way, Haley needed to get out of Ben's way and let him run the offense, it didn't happen and it cost the Steelers a big play.

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
09-19-2013, 01:54 PM
2. Why didn't we keep Max. I thought we got rid of him because we were going to zone blocking. And we didn't zone block. And Ben got pummelled even more. There's some crazy missing logic here.
Didn't realize he didn't stick with the Chargers...Amazed that the team has picked up linemen and let him sit out there... just sayin'

papillon
09-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Didn't realize he didn't stick with the Chargers...Amazed that the team has picked up linemen and let him sit out there... just sayin'

I think the Rams have signed Max, but not certain.

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
09-19-2013, 01:58 PM
I think the Rams have signed Max, but not certain.

Pappy

they have - just today, actually. that's when i realized he'd been available and the team chose other options and thought, "wow!"

Sword
09-19-2013, 02:18 PM
The offense is at a disarray because, the Head Coach is not bringing them together and making tough decisions...
Haley calling bad plays falls on Tomlin!!! He is the head coach period...you walk up to the dam OLC and tell him what you want...you don't ask....

steelz09
09-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Some of this has to fall on Tomlin. Has to! There's no way the head coach doesn't have final say. Are we really to believe Haley has just arbitrarily decided not to use the scheme practiced since OTA's began 4 months ago? He is the sole determining factor? I call BS. Tomlin is watching the games (I see him on the sidelines). Why wouldn't he step in and insist it be used. He has the authority.

Maybe the line can't run it properly and the DeCastro incident showed that. There's got to be more to this situation than the OC "doesn't feel like it" and Head Coach is turning a blind eye.

Absolutely agree. He has the authority but he either doesn't have the balls to use his authority or he's agreeing with Haley's decision. Either way, he's at fault. I'm tired of it being everybody's elses fault besides the HC. That is BS.

The HC gets the credit when they win and they get the criticism when the team loses. It comes with the title of being a head coach.

He has a say in player personnel decisions.
He has a say in coaching personnel decisions.
He has a say in draft picks.
He has a say in schemes and playcalling.

People keep making excuses for Tomlin for whatever reason even as this team continues its downward spiral ever since last season. I think it's because most people can't separate their emotions from logical decision making so they keep making excuses on why it's never their fault. It's the same reason a lot of people can't criticize Ben's play.... because it's hard for someone to objectively criticize their favorite player.

Vader
09-19-2013, 02:34 PM
That's my opinion of what I saw at the time and based on the fact that Ben has run a no huddle up tempo offense before and he can get his team to the LOS and run a play rather quickly. All the confusion leads me to believe that either Haley did as I described above or Haley believed that it was a good catch and wasn't going to be overturned, either way, Haley needed to get out of Ben's way and let him run the offense, it didn't happen and it cost the Steelers a big play.

Pappy

According to Bob Labriola Haley doesn't decide who the WRs are on the field. He said Tomlin does that. So that would mean Tomlin was sending in players that he wanted on the next play. He said Haley just calls the plays.

Shawn
09-19-2013, 03:01 PM

Now that is funny.

feltdizz
09-19-2013, 03:08 PM

For the last time.. Max almost got Rivers killed a few times in preseason... look at the Chicago preseason highlight vs the Chargers. Part of the reason he looked good here is because Ben is a magician.

steelz09
09-19-2013, 03:14 PM
For the last time.. Max almost got Rivers killed a few times in preseason... look at the Chicago preseason highlight vs the Chargers. Part of the reason he looked good here is because Ben is a magician.

Who cares about what he did in SD for a couple of preseason games. He played for the Steelers for 8 years and you want to refence a couple preseason games?

Starks was clearly our best o-lineman last year. He's not that bad of a LT and didn't play bad for the Steelers considering Ben takes an eternity to get rid of the ball.

The only reason Starks isn't on the team is that Tomlin has some type of issue with him. I don't know what it is... but it's obvious. Tomlin has beeing trying to replace him for years and he couldn't. Tomlin's stubborness and his unwillingness to bring back Starks has hurt this team.

feltdizz
09-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Who cares about what he did in SD for a couple of preseason games. He played for the Steelers for 8 years and you want to refence a couple preseason games?

Starks was clearly our best o-lineman last year. He's not that bad of a LT and didn't play bad for the Steelers considering Ben takes an eternity to get rid of the ball.

The only reason Starks isn't on the team is that Tomlin has some type of issue with him. I don't know what it is... but it's obvious. Tomlin has beeing trying to replace him for years and he couldn't. Tomlin's stubborness and his unwillingness to bring back Starks has hurt this team.

dude... obviously SD cared and this is why they cut him. He wasn't coming back and IMO he is done.. being the best OL on our team means nothing...
our problems are bigger than Starks.

feltdizz
09-19-2013, 03:47 PM
According to Bob Labriola Haley doesn't decide who the WRs are on the field. He said Tomlin does that. So that would mean Tomlin was sending in players that he wanted on the next play. He said Haley just calls the plays.

That has to be the dumbest thing I've heard in a minute if it's true... why the hell is Tomlin calling sub packages if he isn't calling the plays? Not sure about this one because it seems like Tomlin would handcuff OC's on what plays they can call. He may decide the depth chart before the game but I would be shocked and saddened if this is true.

steelz09
09-19-2013, 04:55 PM
dude... obviously SD cared and this is why they cut him. He wasn't coming back and IMO he is done.. being the best OL on our team means nothing...
our problems are bigger than Starks.

That's not the point. The point is, he played above average for us. Starks wasn't the problem. He could step in and be a better LT than Adams immediately. Adams could move to RT and perform better than Gilbert immediately. That improves 2 positions almost instantly and it could have been done cheaply. Instead, Tomlin is continuing his grudge on Starks and it's hurting this team and likewise, hurtining his chances of being back in Pittsburgh for the 2014 season.

By the way, you do realize that Starks is only 31 years old? How is that "done"? lol.

Slapstick
09-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Or, perhaps Starks sucks, now...

steelz09
09-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Or, perhaps Starks sucks, now...

He regressed that much in 1 year? Doubtful. He's worse than our Tackles? Doubtful.

He's worse than Guy Whimper (our #1 tackle backup)? HELL NO.

Slapstick
09-19-2013, 05:08 PM
You never know. Players can certainly regress very quickly...I'm seeing it on our team right now...

Steelhere10
09-19-2013, 06:11 PM
That has to be the dumbest thing I've heard in a minute if it's true... why the hell is Tomlin calling sub packages if he isn't calling the plays? Not sure about this one because it seems like Tomlin would handcuff OC's on what plays they can call. He may decide the depth chart before the game but I would be shocked and saddened if this is true.I serious doubt that is true. In Haley interview with David Todd Haley said the opposite instead he said the the RB and WR Coach help him with that.

NorthCoast
09-19-2013, 09:40 PM
After you call a zone play and your prized 1st round draft pick ends the season of your prized All-Pro Center, I would perhaps be reluctant to go back to that well...apparently, the scheme was not being followed by Pouncey or DeCastro...

I agree.

and this as well:

" Or the current linemen aren't as effective as their predecessors.

How was it that previous Steelers offenses ran successfully regardless of the other teams defense? Now I will agree that the current OL crop probably isn't built to run block like the days of old...

Vader
09-19-2013, 09:49 PM
That has to be the dumbest thing I've heard in a minute if it's true... why the hell is Tomlin calling sub packages if he isn't calling the plays? Not sure about this one because it seems like Tomlin would handcuff OC's on what plays they can call. He may decide the depth chart before the game but I would be shocked and saddened if this is true.

That's what he said. It isn't about the depth chart because Bob was answering a question about not getting Wheaton on the field. He said the reason Wheaton wasn't on the field was because Tomlin decides the player groups and Haley calls the plays.

Ernie
09-20-2013, 06:16 AM
did anyone besides me laugh when gilbert was quoted as saying "we're known as a power running team"? maybe he was referring to the DE's that keep running over him.

I'd call this year's OL alot of things, but definitely not a power running team lol.

feltdizz
09-20-2013, 08:35 AM
I serious doubt that is true. In Haley interview with David Todd Haley said the opposite instead he said the the RB and WR Coach help him with that.

it doesn't make sense...

well, it made a little sense because we look horrible on O and take forever to hike the ball. LOL...

but Tomlin calling sub packages sounds suspect.

feltdizz
09-20-2013, 08:39 AM
That's what he said. It isn't about the depth chart because Bob was answering a question about not getting Wheaton on the field. He said the reason Wheaton wasn't on the field was because Tomlin decides the player groups and Haley calls the plays.

Tomlin may decide player groups when game planning but during the game? No.. don't believe it at all.

feltdizz
09-20-2013, 08:42 AM
That's not the point. The point is, he played above average for us. Starks wasn't the problem. He could step in and be a better LT than Adams immediately. Adams could move to RT and perform better than Gilbert immediately. That improves 2 positions almost instantly and it could have been done cheaply. Instead, Tomlin is continuing his grudge on Starks and it's hurting this team and likewise, hurtining his chances of being back in Pittsburgh for the 2014 season.

By the way, you do realize that Starks is only 31 years old? How is that "done"? lol.

above average? Nah.. and age has nothing to do with him being done.

Shoe
09-20-2013, 10:44 AM
I read an article, where Haley said he wouldn't be averse to replacing Adams or Gilbert for Beachum. I'm happy to see that. In terms of Starks, it is moot anyway--he's off the market.

feltdizz
09-20-2013, 12:25 PM
I read an article, where Haley said he wouldn't be averse to replacing Adams or Gilbert for Beachum. I'm happy to see that. In terms of Starks, it is moot anyway--he's off the market.

Is Eifert still available?

birtikidis
09-20-2013, 01:12 PM
And Gilbert said:

Our Backup RT was supposed to KNOW all the calls that Pouncey would make! <SARCASM>
it blows my mind how these guys are still whining.

BigRob
09-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Wow

You missed the part where it said he stopped calling it after Pouncey went out. Why would you expect him to call it with Beachum and a center that barely practiced a week?

SteelCrazy
09-21-2013, 07:28 PM
You missed the part where it said he stopped calling it after Pouncey went out. Why would you expect him to call it with Beachum and a center that barely practiced a week?

...and I'm pretty sure it was a collective coaching decision, not just Haley.

Discipline of Steel
09-21-2013, 08:12 PM

Pappy

If so, that's even worse. Its a really bad error and if caused by ego, those things will likely continue to happen.

pfelix73
09-21-2013, 11:47 PM
I will predict they will run a mixture of man and zone blocking schemes Sunday night. they usually always do anyway. Yea, maybe more outside runs for Felix on Sunday. They will probably try and go back to the original game plan they had in the Tenn game before Pouncey went down. Felix avged a nice 3.7 yds last week and I'd start him. His only issue is he's not the best blocking rb on the team. To be honest, he suks in that category. Sounds like Heath may go, and that will immediately help. If he doesn't, watch for Beach to be out there at TE to help block. They just need to convert 3rd downs better, so they can run more plays that what they have been.. that'll also help in getting Felix some yardage.

I'm also predicting a Stiller victory Sunday night......Here We Go...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-22-2013, 09:43 AM
I think that part of the problem is the fascination with "position flexibility". Position flexibility is great for backups, but I want my starters to be the best at their one position that they can be. I want them spending as much time at camp as possible training as a number one unit, lining up beside the guy who they will be beside every game. To me, the concept of fitting one new guy into a unit due to injury is not as bad as having spent the summer playing alongside every combination of players in case we need to utilize our versatility.

Slapstick
09-22-2013, 10:03 AM
They are concerned only with the position flexibility for backups...

DeCastro never lined up at anything but RG...Foster nothing but LG...

Of course, Pouncey was only C...

The OTs flip-flopped only because they felt tha Gilbert was worse at LT...

feltdizz
09-22-2013, 12:41 PM
They are concerned only with the position flexibility for backups...

DeCastro never lined up at anything but RG...Foster nothing but LG...

Of course, Pouncey was only C...

The OTs flip-flopped only because they felt tha Gilbert was worse at LT...

maybe DD needed that flexibility... lol.

I don't..seems like every report in camp is about moving guys around every year.