PDA

View Full Version : Go and sign ochocinco....

WRsAreEssential
09-17-2013, 12:35 AM
We have the worst wide receiving corps in the league. If you follow games around the NFL, you can see just how laughable our talent is at the wide receiver position. The Steelers are one of the only teams that can't afford their QB the luxury of throwing any jumpballs or back-shoulder throws or fade routes. Roethlisberger actually hasn't had those options since Burress left, which makes it scary to think of just how good Roethlisberger could have been in the last decade if he had had anything approximating a #1 receiver (which he never did).

Boldin carried the Ravens through the playoffs by making catches in traffic with his solid frame and by catching jumpballs on the sidelines. Flacco could throw it high over the middle or simply in Boldin's vicinity down the sideline, and he would go up and make the plays. Roethlisberger has never had anything close to that luxury. He is throwing to midgets who are considerably smaller than all of the DBs they are going up against. Every throw Roethlisberger makes has to be perfect, in the chest, or it isn't being caught. Roethlisberger has no margin for error and no playmaking ability to rely on from the receivers. The talent that Colbert has provided him with is frankly a joke by NFL standards.

There is a huge misconception out there that a) Big Ben holds the ball too long, and b) the offensive line is the problem. In reality, Ben has always held the ball because his receivers couldn't get open on initial routes. He has never had a standout receiver who could get open conventionally and who Ben could rely on to go and make a play in traffic. Never. In fact, Holmes was a sloppy route-runner and Wallace was a one-trick pony whose awkwardness and lack of adeptness with the hands were obvious. This is why he has held on to the ball - to allow his awkward, short, and slow receivers a chance to get open.

The only solution to this season frankly is to sign Ochocinco. He still has all of the quickness and athleticism needed to be a great receiver. The NFL is just blackballing him for his attitude. But he could walk in to the Steelers this week and make a serious impact. He would easily be the most talented receiver on the roster. That isn't saying much frankly, but since Colbert was stupid and didn't draft a receiver in the early rounds the last couple years, that is the best option now.

Go and sign Chad. He would change the season. Him and Roethlisberger would work magically just like Roethlisberger and Burress worked magically in the half-season they spent together in 2004 when they lit up the Browns, Patriots, and other teams.

noitall0605
09-17-2013, 12:36 AM
??????????????????????????????????????

7 UP
09-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Wow!!!! This is where we are as a team.

WRsAreEssential
09-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Actually, the receivers have been terrible for years and Ochocinco could have been used all along. Big Ben has never had a serious #1 target or anything close to it.

The offense has always been patchy BS throughout the last decade. There could never be any continuity or serious consistency with it since there was no true #1 receiver.

steelz09
09-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Huh? Have you watch the Patriots lately? The Jaguars? The Raiders and several others?

No WRs? Holmes? Wallace? Brown?

Ben had Santonio Holmes whom is a better WR than Wallace, Brown or Sanders.

WRsAreEssential
09-17-2013, 12:46 AM
Steelz09, Holmes was the most talented receiver Ben had besides Burress, but that isn't very good frankly. Holmes was great when plays broke down but he was a poor route-runner and too small to be a #1. This has clearly been exposed in New York where they paid him to be a #1 and it just hasn't worked out.

Wallace and Brown should thank Roethlisberger every day of the week for making them look so much better than they are. Wallace is awkward with his hands and cuts and has always been terrible at adjusting to the ball in the air. He has never done what Boldin did in the playoffs, for instance. Yes, Wallace is great in a straight-line sprint down the sideline, but since that accounts for maybe 2% of football plays run in a season, that is trivial. Wallace never had a #1 wide receiver skill set to offer. He was awkward and coordination-deficient.

As for Brown, for him to get over $8 million per year is ridiculous. That is completely overpaying him. Colbert should have his head examined for that. Brown is a very good #3 receiver alongside big, physical targets that take attention away from him. But he is way too small to be a #1, nor does he have DeSean Jackson speed.

The Steelers completely overpaid for Brown and everyone has severely overrated Wallace and Brown. Roethlisberger made them look much better than they really are. They both can have a role on a team, but they're not even close to being #1 receivers by NFL standards.

steelz09
09-17-2013, 12:49 AM
So your recommendation for a #1 WR right now is Ocho Stinko? I get your argument but your recommended fix is a bit laughable.

WRsAreEssential
09-17-2013, 12:53 AM
Ochocinco can still play. Whenever he got the chance in New England (which wasn't nearly often enough), he moved great and made some terrific plays. He had big catches against San Diego, the Jets, and Denver. He just needed a chance but they refused to give it to him. They were content running their robot nonsense continuously.

Ochocinco was also very impressive in camp at Miami last year until being released, and apparently he is in excellent condition right now. He could walk in and do very well right off the bat for Pittsburgh. That is not laughable at all.

In Ochocinco, we are talking about a guy who has the most elite talent you'll find. He isn't just any receiver.

Go and sign him. He's the best option right now.

Shoe
09-17-2013, 12:53 AM
WRsAreEssential,
I didn't respond initially, because I figured this was a troll thread. You make some good points about Wallace, AB, and Holmes which makes one think you may not be a troll so... how would Ochocinco help our WR corp at this point in his career?

Well, it looks like you answered my question above... but I think you greatly overestimate him. NE and MIA had definite WR needs. Especially MIA. These teams wouldn't just dump a #1 (or even #2) caliber WR for the reasons he was cut. He's not the player he was... remember, his prime was the early-mid 2000s. It is now 2013.

WRsAreEssential
09-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Shoe,

If you watched any of Ochocinco's highlights or plays with New England, it was clear that his athleticism was still there and his game was still there. The Patriots were just comfortable with their personnel and decided, coming off the short post-lockout training camp, that he wasn't really needed. They stuck with Gronkowski and Hernandez as the main targets and then had the little munchkins running timing patterns underneath for Brady. It was working and they didn't really feel the need to insert Ochocinco.

But the problem wasn't that he lacked game.

Furthermore, all reports coming out of Miami last year were that he was as quick as ever and that he was looking terrific before he was released. He also worked out with Antonio Brown, Andre Johnson, and other receivers over the spring and summer this year, and he apparently shined in the workouts.

So, his game and his talent are still there. He is the best option right now for saving the season. You can't go on having the worst WR corps in the league like this. Roethlisberger needs a receiver that he can trust to make a play when his throws aren't pinpoint accurate and perfect. He does not have that with guys who are only 5-10/5-9. Ochocinco would help very much to that end.

skyhawk
09-17-2013, 01:00 AM
I agree 100% with his assessment of our receivers.

Just not the fix. Ocho is a joko.

steelz09
09-17-2013, 01:00 AM
Shoe,

If you watched any of Ochocinco's highlights or plays with New England, it was clear that his athleticism was still there and his game was still there. The Patriots were just comfortable with their personnel and decided, coming off the short post-lockout training camp, that he wasn't really needed. They stuck with Gronkowski and Hernandez as the main targets and then had the little munchkins running timing patterns underneath for Brady. It was working and they didn't really feel the need to insert Ochocinco.

Furthermore, all reports coming out of Miami last year were that he was as quick as ever and that he was looking terrific before he was released. He also worked out with Antonio Brown, Andre Johnson, and other receivers over the spring and summer and apparently shined.

So, his game and his talent are still there. He is the best option right now for saving the season. You can't go on having the worst WR corps in the league like this. Roethlisberger needs a receiver that he can trust to make a play when his throws aren't pinpoint accurate and perfect. He does not have that with guys who are only 5-10/5-9.

Dude.... we don't have anywhere close to the worst WRs in the league. We might have the worst offense in the league (besides Jacksonville) though.

Shoe
09-17-2013, 01:03 AM
Shoe,

Furthermore, all reports coming out of Miami last year were that he was as quick as ever and that he was looking terrific before he was released. He also worked out with Antonio Brown, Andre Johnson, and other receivers over the spring and summer this year, and he apparently shined in the workouts.

So, his game and his talent are still there. He is the best option right now for saving the season. You can't go on having the worst WR corps in the league like this. Roethlisberger needs a receiver that he can trust to make a play when his throws aren't pinpoint accurate and perfect. He does not have that with guys who are only 5-10/5-9. Ochocinco would help very much to that end.

What do you mean the skill is still there? You are making huge assumptions. I'm dealing in facts. If he "looked terrific" in either place, they would've kept him. Teams aren't in the business of cutting terrific looking players. Teams aren't in the business of cutting starting caliber WRs. And starting caliber WRs don't sit and linger on the free-agent market (especially WRs with probably 700+ NFL receptions).

WRsAreEssential
09-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Dude.... we don't have anywhere close to the worst WRs in the league. We might have the worst offense in the league (besides Jacksonville) though.

Besides Jacksonville, who can you even possibly put in the Steelers' class of wide receiver impotence?

Please tell me. I watch the entire league and I don't see who even comes close. Every team except Jacksonville is noticeably above the Steelers in wide receiver talent.

For instance, the Bengals have Green, Gresham, Eifert, Sanu, and #82. All 5 are more talented than Antonio Brown, the Steelers #1 target.

The Chargers - just to take another random example - have Malcolm Floyd, Antonio Gates, Vincent Brown, and Titus Young. How does the Steeler wide receiver corps even compare to that, let alone what Cincinnati has?

What Colbert has given Roethlisberger to work with is laughable. Worst WR corps in the NFL besides maybe Jacksonville.

WRsAreEssential
09-17-2013, 01:13 AM
What do you mean the skill is still there? You are making huge assumptions. I'm dealing in facts. If he "looked terrific" in either place, they would've kept him. Teams aren't in the business of cutting terrific looking players. Teams aren't in the business of cutting starting caliber WRs. And starting caliber WRs don't sit and linger on the free-agent market (especially WRs with probably 700+ NFL receptions).

Ochocinco was released because of an off-field incident, not because his game was lacking.

He is being blackballed by the league now for his attitude over the years. Everyone knows he can still play. Make no mistake about it. They're just sticking it to him for what they didn't like in his behavior during the past decade.

Tony Gonzalez is 2-3 years older than Ochocinco and he is looking fabulous physically. He did great last year and is doing great again this year.

steelz09
09-17-2013, 01:16 AM
Besides Jacksonville, who can you even possibly put in the Steelers' class of wide receiver impotence?

Please tell me. I watch the entire league and I don't see who even comes close. Every team except Jacksonville is noticeably above the Steelers in wide receiver talent.

For instance, the Bengals have Green, Gresham, Eifert, Sanu, and #82. All 5 are more talented than Antonio Brown, the Steelers #1 target.

The Chargers - just to take another random example - have Malcolm Floyd, Antonio Gates, Vincent Brown, and Titus Young. How does the Steeler wide receiver corps even compare to that, let alone what Cincinnati has?

What Colbert has given Roethlisberger to work with is laughable. Worst WR corps in the NFL besides maybe Jacksonville.

The Raiders and the Patriots to add 2 more to your list. Edleman (spelling?) is their #1 at the moment. That's almost as laughable as your recommendation of Ocho Cinco. I'm thinking the Rams are worse as well but I'd have to look up their depth chart.

WRsAreEssential
09-17-2013, 01:19 AM
The Raiders and the Patriots to add 2 more to your list. Edleman (spelling?) is their #1 at the moment. That's almost as laughable as your recommendation of Ocho Cinco. I'm thinking the Rams are worse as well but I'd have to look up their depth chart.

I agree that the Patriots don't have anything, but they are expecting to get Gronkowski back, and besides, their passing system is clearly designed to de-emphasize the importance of talent by utilizing short timing routes non-stop. The Steelers don't run that kind of offense, so it is irrelevant for them.

At best, the Steelers wide receiver corps is only 3rd or 4th worst in the league (at best).

Shawn
09-17-2013, 08:11 AM
I just want to know why I seen Redman instead of Wheaton split out in 5 man spreads.

Sword
09-17-2013, 08:16 AM
We have the worst wide receiving corps in the league. If you follow games around the NFL, you can see just how laughable our talent is at the wide receiver position. The Steelers are one of the only teams that can't afford their QB the luxury of throwing any jumpballs or back-shoulder throws or fade routes. Roethlisberger actually hasn't had those options since Burress left, which makes it scary to think of just how good Roethlisberger could have been in the last decade if he had had anything approximating a #1 receiver (which he never did).

Boldin carried the Ravens through the playoffs by making catches in traffic with his solid frame and by catching jumpballs on the sidelines. Flacco could throw it high over the middle or simply in Boldin's vicinity down the sideline, and he would go up and make the plays. Roethlisberger has never had anything close to that luxury. He is throwing to midgets who are considerably smaller than all of the DBs they are going up against. Every throw Roethlisberger makes has to be perfect, in the chest, or it isn't being caught. Roethlisberger has no margin for error and no playmaking ability to rely on from the receivers. The talent that Colbert has provided him with is frankly a joke by NFL standards.

There is a huge misconception out there that a) Big Ben holds the ball too long, and b) the offensive line is the problem. In reality, Ben has always held the ball because his receivers couldn't get open on initial routes. He has never had a standout receiver who could get open conventionally and who Ben could rely on to go and make a play in traffic. Never. In fact, Holmes was a sloppy route-runner and Wallace was a one-trick pony whose awkwardness and lack of adeptness with the hands were obvious. This is why he has held on to the ball - to allow his awkward, short, and slow receivers a chance to get open.

The only solution to this season frankly is to sign Ochocinco. He still has all of the quickness and athleticism needed to be a great receiver. The NFL is just blackballing him for his attitude. But he could walk in to the Steelers this week and make a serious impact. He would easily be the most talented receiver on the roster. That isn't saying much frankly, but since Colbert was stupid and didn't draft a receiver in the early rounds the last couple years, that is the best option now.

Go and sign Chad. He would change the season. Him and Roethlisberger would work magically just like Roethlisberger and Burress worked magically in the half-season they spent together in 2004 when they lit up the Browns, Patriots, and other teams.

Agreed...I do like Derek Moye... he was great in preseason....

papillon
09-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Agreed...I do like Derek Moye... he was great in preseason....

And, made a nice catch on a fade last night as well, he'll begin to see more time as he proves he can play at this level. It will be too late in all likelihood, but he's going to see the field, Brown, Cotchery and Sanders aren't going to be able to keep him on the bench all season.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
09-17-2013, 09:10 AM
I think it would be more beneficial to our offense to re-sign Max Starks, Flozell Adams, or Alan Faneca.

As far as the WR position, we have the answer, we just need to get him on the field: Marcus Wheaton.

Chadman
09-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Always liked Ocho, to be honest.

Not sure he's the only answer at this point. But, in the same breath, not sure there IS an answer at this point. DaRick Rogers has the skill set to be a good #1 WR, but it's concerning he didn't make it out of camp with the Bills.

Dee Dub
09-17-2013, 08:25 PM
I think a better idea would be to try and get Kenny Britt out of Tennessee.

Chadman
09-17-2013, 08:30 PM

As long as he stays healthy, Britt is everything needed in the position.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-17-2013, 08:37 PM

much better idea.

big gamble, potential big pay off.

flippy
09-17-2013, 11:50 PM
I dont think our WRs are the problem. It's the utilization, the TEs, and the play calling.

Once we get Heath back and Wheaton more reps, I think we'll be fine. I know giant WRs have become the norm and Ben's wanted one for years. But small talented WRs can be just as good. AB has the same skillset as Steve Smith in Carolina. And Smith is one of the toughest receivers to cover in the league. The big difference is Ben won't throw unless he's wide open. Steve Smith time and again shows he'll go up and get anything thrown in his vicinity even when covered. AB could do the same.

Manny Sanders might be more villified in Pittsburgh than William Gay. He fumbled a couple times last year. And he's missed a couple passes. So he's hated. But this kid is way better than anyone gives him credit. He's as physical a blocker as there is and always fighting on the outside. He's a good route runner. And he's quick. And he's on pace for about 100 catches and 1000 yards. What more can you ask for in a #2?

And while Cotch is old and slow. He's a great route runner. FInds a soft spot in a zone with ease. And he's got some size and good hands.

I don't really see AB, Manny, and Cotch being much worse than Ward, ARE, and Cedrick who helped us win a SuperBowl.

NJ-STEELER
09-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Ocho is dodone if we're looking for re-treads how about Braylon Edwards

Shoe
09-18-2013, 12:41 AM
I dont think our WRs are the problem. It's the utilization, the TEs, and the play calling.

Once we get Heath back and Wheaton more reps, I think we'll be fine. I know giant WRs have become the norm and Ben's wanted one for years. But small talented WRs can be just as good. AB has the same skillset as Steve Smith in Carolina. And Smith is one of the toughest receivers to cover in the league. The big difference is Ben won't throw unless he's wide open. Steve Smith time and again shows he'll go up and get anything thrown in his vicinity even when covered. AB could do the same.

Manny Sanders might be more villified in Pittsburgh than William Gay. He fumbled a couple times last year. And he's missed a couple passes. So he's hated. But this kid is way better than anyone gives him credit. He's as physical a blocker as there is and always fighting on the outside. He's a good route runner. And he's quick. And he's on pace for about 100 catches and 1000 yards. What more can you ask for in a #2?

And while Cotch is old and slow. He's a great route runner. FInds a soft spot in a zone with ease. And he's got some size and good hands.

I don't really see AB, Manny, and Cotch being much worse than Ward, ARE, and Cedrick who helped us win a SuperBowl.

You said it flip. Heath comes back, and Wheaton gets worked in, and our WR corps will produce. Big WRs are overrated a bit IMO anyway. The Rams had Bruce/Holt/Hakim back in the day. Brady* won a SB or two with Branch*/Givens*/Troy Brown*. The current best team in the league (the Bags) have Sidney Rice (a #2 WR at best, though big)/Tate/Doug Baldwin. Last year's SB champs had Boldin (big but not necessarily tall)/Torrey Smith/Jacoby Jones.

The bottom line: You can win with our current corp of WR. AB is a player, whether you think he is a #1 or not. Sanders is certainly a solid slot, at best a lower-tier #2. Wheaton (at this point in his career), I believe can at least flash #2 WR production, eventually taking over at least that role (a #2 WR). Add Cotch, and Big Money, and that actually is a pretty strong WR corps IMO.

ikestops85
09-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Can anyone else find it hard to believe that when we were down near the goal line Haley put in a big receiver, Moye, and then threw him an alley oop? I wonder where they got that idea from? :rolleyes:

Normally they throw that pass to the smallest receiver on the field. :HeadBanger