PDA

View Full Version : Kovacevic: Will Steelers Pass Up Another Chance?

BlitzTo7
09-16-2013, 12:55 AM
http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/4708041-74/steelers-offensive-plan#axzz2euNA6J58

Kovacevic: Will Steelers pass up another chance?
By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Sunday, Sept. 15, 2013, 12:41 p.m.

Just to make sure I've got this all straight before the first snap ...

The Steelers' offensive plan for this already-mega-critical Monday night matchup with the Bengals will include “striking a balance” by upgrading the run, according to Mike Tomlin last Tuesday. “Obviously, we are working hard to do so,” the coach added.

Obviously.

Because, you know, upgrading the run is a reasonable priority in a league that's gone from 55.6 percent running plays in 1972, the year of the Immaculate Reception, to an all-time low of 42.9 percent last season. In Week 1 of this season, NFL teams passed for 8,143 yards, most ever for a single week.

But hey, balance away.

The Steelers' offensive plan will include, again per Tomlin, a running-back-by-committee approach. You'll see Isaac Redman, Felix Jones and Jonathan Dwyer sharing the carries.

Because, you know, that approach last season resulted in a sickly No. 28 ranking even though, on the rare occasions one back was allowed to own the position, they often fared well: Redman scorched the Giants for 147 yards on 26 rushes on Nov. 4, then never touched the ball more than nine times in any of the final eight games. Dwyer sliced up the Bengals for 122 yards on 17 rushes at Paul Brown Stadium on Oct. 21, then had 107 yards on 17 rushes the following week against the Redskins, then was relegated to part-time duty.

Blame the tap-outs or the Cleveland turnover nightmare, if you will, but this coaching staff is short-attention-span-theater when it comes to these backs.

The Steelers' offensive plan will include, based on practices leading up to this game, Markus Wheaton watching from the sideline.

Again.

Because, you know, Wheaton tantalized all through camp and the preseason, drew thick praise from Ben Roethlisberger and others and was supposed to be part of a rookie class that helped shatter the stigma of 8-8.

The reason the Steelers' offensive plan will keep Wheaton out is that it'll be based on the standard three-receiver set with a tight end.

Because, you know, David Paulson.

The Steelers' offensive plan will keep utilizing all the usual screens and sideline routes, as if LaRod Stephens-Howling never left.

Because, you know, it's maximizing your best asset to have Roethlisberger throw 23 passes of less than 10 yards, compared to just nine longer than that.

That really happened vs. Tennessee. Count 'em up.

The Steelers' offensive plan will challenge their line, the clear weak link in the opener, to create the desired balance by driving back one of the NFL's most formidable defensive lines, the Bengals' front four of Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson and Domata Peko.

Because, you know … ugh, I can't even come up with a quip for this one.

The Bengals aren't nearly as strong at linebacker or the secondary, but, hey, let's see how Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert fare in knocking back these guys.

That about cover it all?

OK, just checking.

It'll be good to know which players to blame if all this somehow goes awry.

Look, I'm not forecasting doom and gloom, I swear. My prediction for the Steelers to go 10-6, ambitious as that looks after Tennessee, will still look plenty doable with a W in this game.

It was based on:

1. The defense, which more than held its own against the Titans.

2. The soft schedule, including what's shaping up to be an awful AFC North if you caught that Browns-Ravens snoozefest Sunday.

3. The talent on offense.

Yeah, talent. The latter isn't what it's been, and the line in particular needs to perform infinitely better. But the notion that any offense led by Roethlisberger lacks what it takes to win is hard to support with precedent. Moreover, Antonio Brown is a recent team MVP who played like one in the opener. Emmanuel Sanders is capable of far more than he showed, and he knows it. Jerricho Cotchery contributed a couple key catches.

Once Heath Miller and Le'Veon Bell return, there will be more stability, too.

But before and after that happens, you've got to coach to the talent at hand, and you've got to coach to the time at hand. This offense's strengths are almost entirely pass-based, and this era of the NFL and its rules that protect the quarterback and offer space to the receiver, that's no different.

It's well past time the Steelers get back to accepting that, even embracing it as they did not so long ago.

This isn't about being stubborn. It's about succeeding.

AzStillers1989
09-16-2013, 02:34 AM
Blah blab blah blah BLAH!!!! Just freaking win !!!:Beer

Steelhere10
09-16-2013, 06:46 AM
The article is 100%, just like practicing the zone blocking all summer and barely using it. I have supported Tomlin up until now, but either Haley have to go or both.

papillon
09-16-2013, 07:38 AM
The article is 100%, just like practicing the zone blocking all summer and barely using it. I have supported Tomlin up until now, but either Haley have to go or both.

This position is becoming easier and easier to defend as the Steelers get farther and farther from actually being competitive. I think what happened was, they knew they had Ben and a certain amount of time to take advantage of his talent and made the conscience decision to not dismantle the team, but to keep the roster together to make a run or two at the Super Bowl. Now as they see the twilight of Ben's career on the horizon rather than tear it down and start from scratch they are still trying to cobble together a team that Ben can carry to the playoffs.

I don't see it working for two main reasons: Draft day 2008 and draft day 2009, I think there are two players (Hood and David Johnson) from those two drafts still on the roster and those two drafts should be the core of the team by now, that's 16 picks and only two players still on the team, one contributing (to some degree) and the other a backup TE drafted in the 7th round.

The second reason is the cap situation. In trying to keep the team together veterans may have been extended and paid handsomely when, in fact, it may have been time to cut ties a little sooner. Of course, the Steelers did win a Super Bowl and make it to another, so maybe it was worth the price. I'm not sure when Ben's contract is up, but it could make the decision about his next contract very easy since he is 31 and doesn't play the game like Brady or Manning, so longevity past 30 probably isn't something he'll have.

In my opinion, as fans, it may be difficult to watch for a few years, but maybe the light bulb will come on for some of the players and they'll surprise the heck out of us, but right now, the last 17 games are pretty good proof that Steelers aren't the team they were hoping to be at this point.

Pappy

SteelCrazy
09-16-2013, 07:51 AM
If it's not working, keep plugging away until it does, even if there is no hope in sight. That's a winners mentality.

Oviedo
09-16-2013, 07:53 AM
This position is becoming easier and easier to defend as the Steelers get farther and farther from actually being competitive. I think what happened was, they knew they had Ben and a certain amount of time to take advantage of his talent and made the conscience decision to not dismantle the team, but to keep the roster together to make a run or two at the Super Bowl. Now as they see the twilight of Ben's career on the horizon rather than tear it down and start from scratch they are still trying to cobble together a team that Ben can carry to the playoffs.

I don't see it working for two main reasons: Draft day 2008 and draft day 2009, I think there are two players (Hood and David Johnson) from those two drafts still on the roster and those two drafts should be the core of the team by now, that's 16 picks and only two players still on the team, one contributing (to some degree) and the other a backup TE drafted in the 7th round.

The second reason is the cap situation. In trying to keep the team together veterans may have been extended and paid handsomely when, in fact, it may have been time to cut ties a little sooner. Of course, the Steelers did win a Super Bowl and make it to another, so maybe it was worth the price. I'm not sure when Ben's contract is up, but it could make the decision about his next contract very easy since he is 31 and doesn't play the game like Brady or Manning, so longevity past 30 probably isn't something he'll have.

In my opinion, as fans, it may be difficult to watch for a few years, but maybe the light bulb will come on for some of the players and they'll surprise the heck out of us, but right now, the last 17 games are pretty good proof that Steelers aren't the team they were hoping to be at this point.

Pappy

Totally agree. We waited two years too long to start to rebuild key elements of this team. The problem started with wishing and hoping on Aaron Smith to return, add Casey Hampton too. That in itself wasn't the total problem but it was the symptom of the problem wanting to hold on to veterans too long. We can argue why but as you know my opinion has been an over emphasis on "Knowing the system." We need a system, whatever it is, that allows younger players to contribute more, earlier. Until we do we are going to treading water in the mediocrity end of the NFL swimming pool.

Oviedo
09-16-2013, 07:54 AM
If it's not working, keep plugging away until it does, even if there is no hope in sight. That's a winners mentality.

Yes, why would we ever embrace change. It might make someone uncomfortable.

flippy
09-16-2013, 08:02 AM
Antonio Brown is a recent team MVP who played like one in the opener.

I wish I could say I see what these Pittsburgh hacks see, but once again I don't. Although the bar is low given our stud Kion on ST.

Steelhere10
09-16-2013, 08:35 AM
I wish I could say I see what these Pittsburgh hacks see, but once again I don't. Although the bar is low given our stud Kion on ST.
Brown did have a good game, it was Sanders that stunk with some drops.

phillyesq
09-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Totally agree. We waited two years too long to start to rebuild key elements of this team. The problem started with wishing and hoping on Aaron Smith to return, add Casey Hampton too. That in itself wasn't the total problem but it was the symptom of the problem wanting to hold on to veterans too long. We can argue why but as you know my opinion has been an over emphasis on "Knowing the system." We need a system, whatever it is, that allows younger players to contribute more, earlier. Until we do we are going to treading water in the mediocrity end of the NFL swimming pool.

To the extent that you are saying that Wheaton should be playing over Cotchery, or that the Steelers should do something different on offense, I agree completely.

The problem on this team is the offense. There is a talent issue and a coaching issue. Haley comes up with one or two good calls per game - the fake bubble screen was a great call, but Ben and Sanders couldn't connect. Outside of those few good calls he has each game, the rest of his game plans and calls leave a lot to be desired.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-16-2013, 09:25 AM
I love when people get all bent out of shape based on something a coach or GM says to the media. How about this explanation: "We ran for 31 yards on 15 carries last week. We must do better than that." Hence the word 'upgrade'.

JB13
09-16-2013, 09:52 AM
I watch games each week and teams are throwing the ball all over the field and having success. Sure, QBs get sacked, but each game I watch, the QBs often have enough time to survey the field. Not the case with the Steelers. I don't know what Tomlin is thinking about, but his approach hasn't worked for 1+ years now. You have to adapt and we're not doing it. It's okay, despite the early success, to admit Tomlin isn't the right guy to lead this team forward. He's not innovative, he doesn't put enough pressure on the other team and he's a terrible in-game manager. It's been long enough that the Rooneys should be able to see he's not the guy. I think tonight is going to be another loss. I don't know if it's going to be a beating, but I know that front four is going to cause us all sorts of problems. Ben is going to be on his a** a lot and he'll be lucky to emerge from this one without an injury. He's an elite QB and we're WASTING his prime years. Get us a coach and an OC who can take advantage of his assets. Tomlin must go.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-16-2013, 10:40 AM
It doesn't matter if Chuck Noll was coaching this team, with Lombardi and Landry as his coordinators. We don't have enough talented/skilled players to win consistently. Through a combination of bad luck injuries, bad drafting, or whatever, the odds are that all season long the team we line up across from will be more athletic than we are.

IMO, having Ben take 7 step drops all the time, so he doesn't have the high % of short passes this author seems so unhappy about, is a recipe for losing him forever.

BlitzTo7
09-16-2013, 10:45 AM

So the Steelers should keep running their heads into a brick wall?

Ghost
09-16-2013, 11:06 AM
I think San Antonio is right. It's a talent issue. I'm hoping Jones and Bell break the trend but going back 5 or 6 years and the 1st and 2nd (at least, sometime 3rd and 4th) round selections have been mediocre to bad. You've got back-ups in starters roles. You can't have year after year of average drafting and expect to compete. And the old guys, while still flashing brilliance, are showing their age and the guys behind them are not at there level.

BlitzTo7
09-16-2013, 11:33 AM
It doesn't matter if Chuck Noll was coaching this team, with Lombardi and Landry as his coordinators. We don't have enough talented/skilled players to win consistently. Through a combination of bad luck injuries, bad drafting, or whatever, the odds are that all season long the team we line up across from will be more athletic than we are.

IMO, having Ben take 7 step drops all the time, so he doesn't have the high % of short passes this author seems so unhappy about, is a recipe for losing him forever.

He got sacked 5 times against Tennessee anyways. The Steelers can't play scared and worry about what "could" or what "might" happen. They need to use their best player on offense to give them any chance.

Slapstick
09-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Ah, second guessing...

When the Steelers do throw a lot, like they did last game, and Ben gets destroyed, the same people will be, like, "Why did they throw like that? Everybody knows our o-line sucks!!!"

BlitzTo7
09-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Ah, second guessing...

When the Steelers do throw a lot, like they did last game, and Ben gets destroyed, the same people will be, like, "Why did they throw like that? Everybody knows our o-line sucks!!!"

He gets destroyed even when the Steelers try to establish their running game. If it's so inevitable that Ben will get hurt, then get the most out of him before he goes down. A healthy Ben won't be any good if the team finishes 6-10.

phillyesq
09-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Ah, second guessing...

I would like to see balance on offense, but I hate the way that Haley goes about it. He doesn't always seem to use players to the best of their ability. Running Redman as a single back with 3 TEs? The 3rd and 1 plays where Dwyer lines up as a lone back 8 yards deep? Hate em.

The problem right now is that teams can really crowd the Steelers. Sanders doesn't scare anybody, nor should he. Cotchery is a great posession receiver but not a deep threat at all. Brown is a great number 2, but he doesn't seem to scare teams at all.

Putting Wheaton on the field at least adds another option, and he might back safeties off more than Cotchery ever will.

I don't want to see the Steelers become a pass happy team, per se, but I hate watching them trot out the same thing when it doesn't work, particularly in the running game.

BlitzTo7
09-16-2013, 11:59 AM
I would like to see balance on offense, but I hate the way that Haley goes about it. He doesn't always seem to use players to the best of their ability. Running Redman as a single back with 3 TEs? The 3rd and 1 plays where Dwyer lines up as a lone back 8 yards deep? Hate em.

The problem right now is that teams can really crowd the Steelers. Sanders doesn't scare anybody, nor should he. Cotchery is a great posession receiver but not a deep threat at all. Brown is a great number 2, but he doesn't seem to scare teams at all.

Putting Wheaton on the field at least adds another option, and he might back safeties off more than Cotchery ever will.

I don't want to see the Steelers become a pass happy team, per se, but I hate watching them trot out the same thing when it doesn't work, particularly in the running game.

Perhaps Haley is running this kind of offense because he has a mandate from ownership to get back to "Steeler football."

Personally, I could care less about what happened 40 years ago. This is a different era in football. If the Steelers don't adapt, they will be left behind and become irrelevant.

Oviedo
09-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Running Redman is a recipe for failure. Until Bell comes back, make Dwyer the feature back, but integrate Will Johnson more into the offense as a pass receiving option until Heath returns. Our current TEs are useless. As we will see tonite that "back up Bengals TE" we could've drafted would be a major plus to our team right now.

Wheaton needs to be on the field alot. He may have more ability than any other WR we have.

Shoe
09-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Running Redman is a recipe for failure. Until Bell comes back, make Dwyer the feature back, but integrate Will Johnson more into the offense as a pass receiving option until Heath returns. Our current TEs are useless. As we will see tonite that "back up Bengals TE" we could've drafted would be a major plus to our team right now.

Wheaton needs to be on the field alot. He may have more ability than any other WR we have.

Couldn't say it better myself about Redman. It hurts to say, because I wanted him to get the opportunity. But he's proven that he is a subpar starting NFL RB.

To the extent that you are saying that Wheaton should be playing over Cotchery, or that the Steelers should do something different on offense, I agree completely.

The problem on this team is the offense. There is a talent issue and a coaching issue. Haley comes up with one or two good calls per game - the fake bubble screen was a great call, but Ben and Sanders couldn't connect. Outside of those few good calls he has each game, the rest of his game plans and calls leave a lot to be desired.

I want Wheaton on the field too, but Cotchery is a chain-mover too.

I agree with the article. This system (short passes, "high-percentage") is hard to justify, especially when you watch other teams play. In today's NFL, taking shots downfield is just too juicy. One of many things can happen, not the least of which is a Pass Interference call on the defense! DBs can barely breath on the receivers. So why not take shots? The short passing game doesn't take advantage of these things. Heck, taking shots down the field gives the chance for late hits to the QB!

Oviedo
09-16-2013, 12:20 PM
I want Wheaton on the field too, but Cotchery is a chain-mover too.

I agree with the article. This system (short passes, "high-percentage") is hard to justify, especially when you watch other teams play. In today's NFL, taking shots downfield is just too juicy. One of many things can happen, not the least of which is a Pass Interference call on the defense! DBs can barely breath on the receivers. So why not take shots? The short passing game doesn't take advantage of these things. Heck, taking shots down the field gives the chance for late hits to the QB!

With our OL, the short passes, "high-percentage" throw IS NOT hard to justify. It is the only thing that gives any hope that Ben can stay healthy.

Sugar
09-16-2013, 12:35 PM
With our OL, the short passes, "high-percentage" throw IS NOT hard to justify. It is the only thing that gives any hope that Ben can stay healthy.

I was thinking the same thing. Until the OL shows that they can give Ben the kind of time needed for a long play to develop, it's hard to justify leaving him back there to get killed.

Shoe
09-16-2013, 12:39 PM

Yes, in theory. But he's getting hit anyway (i.e. 5 sacks).
I know you'll say if we throw down the field, he'll get hit even more (which of course is right in theory). But there is also reward in going downfield more too. Plus, Ben likes it.

Sugar
09-16-2013, 12:42 PM
I know you'll say if we throw down the field, he'll get hit even more (which of course is right in theory). But there is also reward in going downfield more too. Plus, Ben likes it.

But is that reward worth having Bruce Gradkowski as the starter for the rest of the year?

flippy
09-16-2013, 12:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Until the OL shows that they can give Ben the kind of time needed for a long play to develop, it's hard to justify leaving him back there to get killed.

How bad can he get killed in the shotgun with 4 or 5 wide to limit the rush? It's not our line that's the biggest concern. It's our coach's fascination with using mediocre TEs and FBs. And the Steelers' love affair with telegraphing plays and being predictable.

BlitzTo7
09-16-2013, 12:45 PM

I agree with this. Ben is still getting killed even when the game plan is supposedly made to protect him. If it is inevitable that Ben is going to get hurt, then max him out. Get everything you can out of him. As I said before, a healthy Ben does the team no good if they finish 6-10.

But is that reward worth having Bruce Gradkowski as the starter for the rest of the year?

Given how the Tennessee game went, yes. They failed to protect him even when that was what the game plan was designed to do. Let him do what he does best.

papillon
09-16-2013, 12:50 PM

I guess my question then would be: What good is Ben healthy if the Steelers only win 6,7 or 8 games? The two events, Ben staying healthy by using quick throws and winning games his way, might be mutually exclusive. Ben may not know how to win a game in which he is taking what the defense gives him and has to be patient, on the other hand, he may not make it out of the game uninjured trying to get yards in big chunks to win games.

What to do, what to do...hmmm

Pappy

feltdizz
09-16-2013, 12:50 PM

c'mon.. Ben is a big boy. Stop acting like he can't take hits. We've had a lot of success with Ben getting "killed" and lost our season last year "protecting" him.

phillyesq
09-16-2013, 01:04 PM

The problem with this team is who do you take the shots with? The next tough catch that Sanders makes on a deep ball with be the first. Brown can get deep, but it is tougher with a small WR.

Shoe
09-16-2013, 01:11 PM
I've been a Haley supporter. And if last week was an aberration, so be it. But the system that is predicated on efficiency & consistency where the QB gets rid of the ball quickly (minimizing hits on him) has to actually show it. Otherwise, what is the point?

The problem with this team is who do you take the shots with? The next tough catch that Sanders makes on a deep ball with be the first. Brown can get deep, but it is tougher with a small WR.

I think Wheaton has that potential. I think they all do to an extent. Remember also, it is not ALL about bombs over the top of the defense. It is deep outs, seam routes, and general passes in that 15-20 yard area. That is the bulk of what I consider downfield throws.

Oviedo
09-16-2013, 01:13 PM
How bad can he get killed in the shotgun with 4 or 5 wide to limit the rush? It's not our line that's the biggest concern. It's our coach's fascination with using mediocre TEs and FBs. And the Steelers' love affair with telegraphing plays and being predictable.

Our TE and FB situation is not the coach's chice right now. The good TE we could have starting right now will be a rookie wearing a Bengals uniform tonite.

flippy
09-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Our TE and FB situation is not the coach's chice right now. The good TE we could have starting right now will be a rookie wearing a Bengals uniform tonite.

So you woulda preferred him over Jarvis?

feltdizz
09-16-2013, 01:49 PM

of course... rookies don't get playing time on D until the.. err, oops

Sugar
09-16-2013, 01:55 PM

I would have, though I'm very happy with Jarvis, I'm bummed that another AFCN team got Eifert- especially one that already has a top line TE.

SteelCrazy
09-16-2013, 02:21 PM
So the Steelers should keep running their heads into a brick wall?

I thought I sprinkled enough sarcasm into that statement. Sorry, my bad.

BlitzTo7
09-16-2013, 02:25 PM
I thought I sprinkled enough sarcasm into that statement. Sorry, my bad.

I would have (and probably should have) seen the sarcasm except for the fact that there are old-school Steeler fans that really feel that way - that the team should stubbornly continue to pound and pound away.

Steeler Shades
09-16-2013, 03:41 PM
If it was December already we could unleash hell. Oooops....wait....that was last December that we unleashed it.

skyhawk
09-16-2013, 05:17 PM
If it was December already we could unleash hell. Oooops....wait....that was last December that we unleashed it.

Nah, that was like 2 seasons ago.

NorthCoast
09-16-2013, 07:45 PM

And yet there is still a steady chorus of fans complaining that the Steelers didn't resign Harrison for an extension. Can't have it both ways. Tough choices have to be made, some will be good, some will be bad.

Starlifter
09-16-2013, 09:38 PM
the simple truth is the game has evolved and the rooney's stubbornly refuse to evolve with it. All things being equal the steelers and the front office would be correct to strive for balance between the run and the pass. However, over the last 5 years the NFL has purposely shifted and changed the rules to predominantly favor the offense and hamstring the defense - the result of which is an explosion of production and scoring. How many QB's threw for over 300 yards last week? How many threw for over 400? Balance is all well and good, but this is a stubborn refusal to accept the reality of Goodells NFL. Protect your QB with a solid line and pack your team with wideouts and TE's who can confuse the defense from a variety of sets. And who cares if the defense guesses right and stops then? there's a solid chance you'll get a defensive holding, a pass interference, an illegal hit high, an illegal hit low, a hit to the QB's knees, a hit to the QB's helmet, a roughing the passer etc.

win or lose, at least accept the reality of today's NFL. get your young guys in the game. let's have some 4 wide sets. let's see 2 TE's etc. For better or worse, this is the future for the remainder of Ben's career. deal with it and plan accordingly.

or keep running sprint draws and bubble screens.