PDA

View Full Version : Outside looking in

Shawn
08-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Just curious if any of you have a preseason favorite who has a slim shot at making the team but you would like see make the final cuts.

My guy is Moye. The QBs seem to love the guy, tough, tall, fights for that YAC. WRs positions are tight but if there was ever a year to keep 6, this is the year.

Thoughts?

Captain Lemming
08-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Just curious if any of you have a preseason favorite who has a slim shot at making the team but you would like see make the final cuts.

My guy is Moye. The QBs seem to love the guy, tough, tall, fights for that YAC. WRs positions are tight but if there was ever a year to keep 6, this is the year.

Thoughts?

I like it.

flippy
08-26-2013, 01:48 PM
I got a football crush on Baxter. Hope he ends up being JJ's backup and Worilds backs up Woodley instead of Carter. I also like what I've seen from almost all of the ILBs. I was getting pretty excited when we had 3 sacks in a row at the end of the 4th quarter on Saturday. I think we're really deep at LB in general.

Steelhere10
08-26-2013, 01:48 PM
I liked JD Woods. Oh well

flippy
08-26-2013, 01:50 PM
I liked JD Woods. Oh well

Me too. I'm surprised we cut him so soon. I think that kid's gonna land somewhere and be pretty good.

Oviedo
08-26-2013, 02:20 PM

Thoughts?

I want to see Moye on the team also but I'm real tempted to see them keep Dunn for returns. Our special teams need a real boost that I think Dunn could provide.

flippy
08-26-2013, 02:21 PM
The other guy I'm interested in is Arnfelt. Does Woods flexibility to play NT allow us to carry a guy like Arnfelt instead of Ta'Amu and/or Fangupo? I think he's another guy that deserves to make the team. He hasn't played against the first team, but I think he might have more talent that Hood or Heyward.

He looks to be built like Keisel and seems natural at the position and ready to go like McClendon was very early on.

I was intrigued by Williams' athleticism, but now that he's hurt, it seems like we found this UDFA that might be ready to go and contribute. I know this may sound crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets on the field in our system before Heyward.

flippy
08-26-2013, 02:28 PM
I want to see Moye on the team also but I'm real tempted to see them keep Dunn for returns. Our special teams need a real boost that I think Dunn could provide.

I'm with you on this one. Watching Moye in practice, he's not that polished and I see him as more of a PS project at this point with some good upside potential. Justin Brown is the much better WR, but he really hasn't done much to earn a spot. So this opens the door for Dunn who would actually have a reason to dress on game days anyway.

Shawn
08-26-2013, 02:40 PM

I hear ya. It's a tough call for sure. I agree with Flippy, Moye isn't polished. If he were, especially at 6 foot 5 he would have been snatched up. But he seems to get open, has solid hands and is a tough runner.

Slapstick
08-26-2013, 02:50 PM
The other guy I'm interested in is Arnfelt. Does Woods flexibility to play NT allow us to carry a guy like Arnfelt instead of Ta'Amu and/or Fangupo? I think he's another guy that deserves to make the team. He hasn't played against the first team, but I think he might have more talent that Hood or Heyward.

He looks to be built like Keisel and seems natural at the position and ready to go like McClendon was very early on.

I was intrigued by Williams' athleticism, but now that he's hurt, it seems like we found this UDFA that might be ready to go and contribute. I know this may sound crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets on the field in our system before Heyward.

If Heyward hadn't performed so well on , I might have agreed with you...

fordfixer
08-26-2013, 02:57 PM
how has Gloic been doing? Will he make the team or be in the next rounds of cuts? Or has he been cut already and I missed it?

Shawn
08-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Golic is a guy who has been reported to be a quick learner, with a passion for the game. The problem? He apparently lacks talent...stiff...lack of solid foot work, hands often in poor position, far from swift afoot. He is strong, punishing guys directly in front of him, but beyond that he just doesn't have it.

hawaiiansteel
08-26-2013, 03:00 PM

Brian Arnfelt is already listed as the 2nd string LDE, I definitely think he deserves to make the 53-man roster the way he has been playing this pre-season.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/18441869/20130101_jla_av1_024.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Oviedo
08-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Golic is a guy who has been reported to be a quick learner, with a passion for the game. The problem? He apparently lacks talent...stiff...lack of solid foot work, hands often in poor position, far from swift afoot. He is strong, punishing guys directly in front of him, but beyond that he just doesn't have it.

I think the plan for Golic has been practice squad since Day 1. That is why he has been almost exclusively playing special teams in the pre-season games. No one has any tape on him so he is unlikely to get grabbed by anyone.

Shawn
08-26-2013, 03:59 PM
I just dont see it with Golic. He was known at ND as being one of the weakest players on that OL...not well favored by fans. Practice is showing why...so why not cut the guy? OL depth maybe? I don't see him having the physical tools to be good.

flippy
08-26-2013, 04:08 PM

I agree with Shawn and haven't been impressed with what I've seen so far of Golic. I'm not much of a fan of any of the Steelers depth outside of Beachum. About the only other guy I see having some long term potential would be Joe Long. I'd like to see what he can do in time.

7 UP
08-26-2013, 05:11 PM
As a Penn St guy I am pulling for Moye. I with you guys on Arnfelt. Guys a beast. He has shown more in one preseason than Heyward has in 3 years.

Discipline of Steel
08-26-2013, 09:52 PM
I think Dunn is on the outside looking in. He has shown himself to be a phenomenal KR this preseason but the kick return is becoming a lost art in todays NFL, thanks to Herr Goodell. Is he worth a roster spot based on his phenomenal KR abilities alone? Why hasn't he done any punt returns that could increase his value?

thor75
08-26-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't know if he's on the outside, but I hope Vince Williams is retained, whether its on the practice squad or not. I'm with you Flip, I like Baxter too.

hawaiiansteel
08-26-2013, 11:55 PM
I'm with you Flip, I like Baxter too.

MAC linebacker stands out

James Harrison now plays in Cincinnati, but there was an unheralded outside linebacker Saturday night who bore some resemblance to him.

Alan Baxter, who has done well this summer, came to the forefront in a big way for the Steelers against the Chiefs with two sacks, a tackle for a loss, a forced fumble and a quarterback hurry.

He's an undrafted, undersized rookie from the Mid-American Conference who stands just 6 feet. Sound familiar? At Northern Illinois, he played in 52 games, started 24 and had 16 career sacks. Baxter is yet another reason the Steelers could afford to trade Robinson for Jones.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2d3L5lDOz

phillyesq
08-27-2013, 11:02 AM

BTSC had a nice writeup on Arnfelt. He is an intriguing guy.

Here is the article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/8/26/4658478/steelers-film-room-GIF-highlights-brian-arnfelt-roster-cuts

On the defensive line, it seems like the locks are Hood, McClendon, Keisel, Heyward and Woods. I think that a strong argument can be made for Ta'amu, Fangupo and Arnfelt. I could see the Steelers keeping 7, especially with Keisel getting up in years and Hood in the last year of his deal. Should be good competition for the last spot, which is a nice problem to have.

flippy
08-27-2013, 07:38 PM
BTSC had a nice writeup on Arnfelt. He is an intriguing guy.

Here is the article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/8/26/4658478/steelers-film-room-GIF-highlights-brian-arnfelt-roster-cuts

On the defensive line, it seems like the locks are Hood, McClendon, Keisel, Heyward and Woods. I think that a strong argument can be made for Ta'amu, Fangupo and Arnfelt. I could see the Steelers keeping 7, especially with Keisel getting up in years and Hood in the last year of his deal. Should be good competition for the last spot, which is a nice problem to have.

Thanks for the article. Glad to see someone agrees with me :)

ikestops85
08-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Like a lot of you I'd like to see Reggie Dunn stick with the team. I can't remember the last time we have had a dynamic kick returner. I don't think he has much of a shot since he is the definition of "one trick pony". I just wish he would develop in another area which would increase his value but so far that hasn't happened.

phillyesq
08-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Like a lot of you I'd like to see Reggie Dunn stick with the team. I can't remember the last time we have had a dynamic kick returner. I don't think he has much of a shot since he is the definition of "one trick pony". I just wish he would develop in another area which would increase his value but so far that hasn't happened.

I agree. It would be nice to have a weapon in the return game, but I think Dunn will be hard to keep unless he can at least play on the coverage teams.

Oviedo
08-28-2013, 10:33 AM
I agree. It would be nice to have a weapon in the return game, but I think Dunn will be hard to keep unless he can at least play on the coverage teams.

I really would like Dunn but agree that he doesn't do enough to stick.