PDA

View Full Version : Kirby Wilson - Good or Bad?

flippy
08-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Since Kirby's been with the team, we've drafted the following RBs:

Mendy - 2008
Frank Summers - 2009
Dwyer - 2010
Batch - 2011
Rainey - 2012
Bell - 2013

Not a great track record so far. Does this guy have input on the talent? or is it a Tomlin/Colbert thing?

Going back further, we really haven't been great at picking RBs:

Cedrick Humes - 06
Noah Herron - 05
Verron Haynes - 02
Amos Zereoue - 99
Carlos King - 98
Fuuuuuuu - 98
George Jones - 97
Bam Morris - 94

So it's probably not all on Kirby as much as it is the organization. For the last 20+ years, we've sucked at picking RBs. The last great back we drafted was Barry Foster in 1990.

Hope Bell breaks the trend. But given that he played in the Big 10, was drafted by us, and seems to have this knack for injuries, I'd say the odds are stacked against him.

Notleadpoisoned
08-21-2013, 12:28 PM
The Steelers should start LaRod Stephens-Howling then since he comes with no black and gold baggage.

feltdizz
08-21-2013, 12:50 PM
PITT had a few beast at RB... I can't understand why we keep passing over guys who use the same facility.

Ghost
08-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Not a draft choice but picking up The Bus in '96 for a couple of draft choices was one of the best trades ever, for any team.

FWP as an UDFA in '04 was a nice pick up as well.

feltdizz
08-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Not a draft choice but picking up The Bus in '96 for a couple of draft choices was one of the best trades ever, for any team.

but when we draft a RB high? whoomp whooomp

flippy
08-21-2013, 03:50 PM
PITT had a few beast at RB... I can't understand why we keep passing over guys who use the same facility.

This has driven me nuts over the years for all Pitt players, not just RBs. As far as RBs, I remember feeling like not getting Curtis Martin was the worst. That was just as bad as Tony D going to Dallas - yuck.

flippy
08-21-2013, 03:54 PM

Those were great pick ups by the team. I seem to remember a lot of fans wanted to keep some other RB over Parker. Prior to James Harrison's SuperBowl int return, Willie Parker's SuperBowl TD run was the play that got me more excited than any other in team history. I still remember erupting off the couch with joy.

feltdizz
08-21-2013, 04:10 PM
This has driven me nuts over the years for all Pitt players, not just RBs. As far as RBs, I remember feeling like not getting Curtis Martin was the worst. That was just as bad as Tony D going to Dallas - yuck.

I really wanted McCoy a few years ago...

Just seems like we refuse to pick players who are in our own back yard...

flippy
08-21-2013, 04:19 PM
I really wanted McCoy a few years ago...

Just seems like we refuse to pick players who are in our own back yard...

We'd have had to take him in the first round instead of Hood. In retrospect, that sounds brilliant. I liked McCoy at Pitt. But Martin going in round 3 and us not taking him seemed like a huge crime. We'd have had to take Martin instead of Kordell.

7 UP
08-21-2013, 04:28 PM
I dont think its any position coaches responsibility to bring in talent. Its their job to make the talent that is brought in better. I dont think that highly of Wilson. I think Mendenhall had all the tools to be a great back. I think a great position coach could have made a difference in his career. Perhaps someone of a similar running style who had success at an NFL level.