PDA

View Full Version : A different week same story.

Steelhere10
08-19-2013, 08:23 PM
No threat to go down field and a steady dose of runs and screens that don't work. Nice job Haley. I hate to say it but bring back Bruce.

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2013, 08:29 PM
No threat to go down field and a steady dose of runs and screens that don't work. Nice job Haley. I hate to say it but bring back Bruce.

we're obviously going 0-16 this season...:cry:

Mister Pittsburgh
08-19-2013, 08:33 PM
This is pathetic. We my as well of traded Ben and start Gradkowski if our offense is going to throw no longer than 10 yards downfield, that being our homerun ball, and run screens that we haven't been able to run in 15 years. How Gilbert is the starting RT protecting a 2 time Superbowl winning QB is beyond me. Should be Starks and Adams at RT.

mark it down, Beachum will be starting at RT before the break.

Sure, Not
08-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Umm, its preseason.

JB13
08-19-2013, 09:15 PM
It might be preseason, but William Gay is in mid-season form as he got juked out of his jock by Hankerson for an EASY touchdown. Preseason or not, there have been three turnovers, a slew of penalties and the Steelers look like absolute s**t. Tomlin needs to go. This is embarrassing.

Captain Lemming
08-19-2013, 09:17 PM
This is pathetic. We my as well of traded Ben and start Gradkowski if our offense is going to throw no longer than 10 yards downfield, that being our homerun ball, and run screens that we haven't been able to run in 15 years.

Gradkowski WILL be our starter if Ben gets hurt throwing slow developing passes just to make an impression in a meaningless game.
Remember the purpose here. You are just warming up your guaranteed starters.

What does Ben throwing deep to Brown achieve?

Conversely, either Dwyer or Batch will not make this team. THEY are being evaluated with the first team. Still working out the bugs with the zone blocking. Combine that fact with a desire to keep Ben clean and the play calling makes perfect sense. Lots of runs and screens to RBs.

How Gilbert is the starting RT protecting a 2 time Superbowl winning QB is beyond me. Should be Starks and Adams at RT.

Agreed. The dumbest move we made was letting Max go. But we might think about that fact before calling for more deep passing in a meaningless preseason game.

Captain Lemming
08-19-2013, 09:21 PM
IPreseason or not, there have been three turnovers, a slew of penalties

THIS is a legit concern. I do not care about playcalling as they are calling plays to make evaluations, not to win at all cost.
However the mental mistakes are indeed troubling.

7 UP
08-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Preseason or not, there is very little.positive so far. O line looks awful. Offense looks awful. Dwyer might of been the lone bright spot. Then he ruined it.

Captain Lemming
08-19-2013, 09:42 PM
To show my point with Gradkowski notice the complete change in playcalling?
ONE first down rush by a running back in with Grad in the game during the second quarter. Way more attention to the receivers. Why?

Does this mean they plan to call games that way? No.
Do they trust Grad more than they do Ben?

Answer: Not nearly as worried about the backup QB and he NEEDS the work with this team in a game setting.

Dont worry about the playcalling

RussBII
08-19-2013, 09:42 PM
I don't even know what to say other than our OTs are awful...

Mister Pittsburgh
08-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Gradkowski WILL be our starter if Ben gets hurt throwing slow developing passes just to make an impression in a meaningless game.
Remember the purpose here. You are just warming up your guaranteed starters.

What does Ben throwing deep to Brown achieve?

Conversely, either Dwyer or Batch will not make this team. THEY are being evaluated with the first team. Still working out the bugs with the zone blocking. Combine that fact with a desire to keep Ben clean and the play calling makes perfect sense. Lots of runs and screens to RBs.

Agreed. The dumbest move we made was letting Max go. But we might think about that fact before calling for more deep passing in a meaningless preseason game.

Amazingly 30 other starting QB's throw downfield in these meaningless games, practicing their real offenses to hone their skills, without fearing injury. We, however are too fearful of our crap line to try to run our real offense out of fear our starting QB won't make it to opening game.

steelz09
08-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Different week, same story is correct.

This is the same garbage that started last year and is still ongoing in our 2nd preseason game. 8-8 is optimistic for this team.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-19-2013, 09:48 PM
frightening

Mister Pittsburgh
08-19-2013, 09:51 PM
Bell. Injured in his foot now....:wft

Captain Lemming
08-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Amazingly 30 other starting QB's throw downfield in these meaningless games, practicing their real offenses to hone their skills, without fearing injury. We, however are too fearful of our crap line to try to run our real offense out of fear our starting QB won't make it to opening game.

You mean guys like Brady who relies on timing more than ANYONE and has a WHOLE new set of receivers but has an outstanding oline?
Different needs.

Are we alone?
Eli against us threw all of five passes, completed TWO one was deep. They did not put him at great risk.
Keep in mind that one or more of Ben's sacks or dump-offs might have had a deep route too.

steelz09
08-19-2013, 10:17 PM
You mean guys like Brady who relies on timing more than ANYONE and has a WHOLE new set of receivers but has an outstanding oline?
Different needs.

Are we alone?
Eli against us threw all of five passes, completed TWO one was deep. They did not put him at great risk.
Keep in mind that one or more of Ben's sacks or dump-offs might have had a deep route too.

Brady is in a different league as Ben. I'm sorry but he is. Brady has lost A LOT and he's still tearing teams up.

7 UP
08-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Dude theres a difference between optimism and excuses. Your making excuses. We look AWFUL. I dont care what we are running our O Line looks just as bad as ever. Even if we are running a manilla offense. If we cant even effectively block for that what makes you think we will be able to block our full offense.

NorthCoast
08-19-2013, 10:20 PM
How do you expect to complete 20yd+ patterns when the D is on the QB in 1.1 seconds?

Steelhere10
08-19-2013, 10:25 PM
How do you expect to complete 20yd+ patterns when the D is on the QB in 1.1 seconds?
By mixing up the plays instead of the predictable mess that Haley is calling. I'm not a DC but I could defend the run run dink donk screen offense.

Captain Lemming
08-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Landry Jones passes 5 times on an 8 yard drive including a 45 yard strike to Wheaton. Why?
Does that mean ANYTHING as far as how we plan to call plays?
Does Tomlin trust LJ more than Ben who he "handcuffed"?

Or does the evaluation focus change when you have LJ and Wheaton getting precious game reps and Moye fighting for a job.

NorthCoast
08-19-2013, 10:32 PM
By mixing up the plays instead of the predictable mess that Haley is calling. I'm not a DC but I could defend the run run dink donk screen offense.

Doesnt matter what plays are called if the OL can't hold off the D. That D was licking their chops on every play and the OL could do nothing about it. Sometimes the better players are on the other team....

steelz09
08-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Landry Jones passes 5 times on an 8 yard drive including a 45 yard strike to Wheaton. Why?
Does that mean ANYTHING as far as how we plan to call plays?
Does Tomlin trust LJ more than Ben who he "handcuffed"?

Or does the evaluation focus change when you have LJ and Wheaton getting precious game reps and Moye fighting for a job.

I think it's obvious that Haley was running 4 straight times to test Bell and Bell failed the test. I don't think thats going to be an indication of the playcalling in the regular reason. At least, I hope not. I still question doing that even in preseason because it puts Ben in a bad position.

Steelhere10
08-19-2013, 10:36 PM
I agree to a certain degree, but don't make the opposing defense easy at least keep then guessing and that will stop some pressure.

Captain Lemming
08-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Dude theres a difference between optimism and excuses. Your making excuses. We look AWFUL. I dont care what we are running our O Line looks just as bad as ever. Even if we are running a manilla offense. If we cant even effectively block for that what makes you think we will be able to block our full offense.

Excuses? I am not defending our PLAY.
Please take note of what I have said.

The dumbest move we made was letting Max go. But we might think about that fact before calling for more deep passing in a meaningless preseason game.

I am defending the PLAY-CALLING. .....BECAUSE the tackles are playing horrible.

Worry all you want about the lack of blocking for Ben....I AGREE WITH YOU.

Just dont do that while complaining that we are not throwing deep, as others are doing.

We are not calling plays strategically. We are evaluating and doing so in a way that puts Ben at the least risk.

Captain QB
08-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Brady is in a different league as Ben. I'm sorry but he is. Brady has lost A LOT and he's still tearing teams up.

Because the Patriots have never handcuffed Brady or asked him to wait until the fourth quarter to bail the team out. Meanwhile, Ben is asked to play game manager and not throw the ball more than 10 yards until the Steelers. Of course when they do let him loose, it's usually too late and he's easy to blame for fans like yourself.

steelz09
08-19-2013, 11:15 PM
Because the Patriots have never handcuffed Brady or asked him to wait until the fourth quarter to bail the team out. Meanwhile, Ben is asked to play game manager and not throw the ball more than 10 yards until the Steelers. Of course when they do let him loose, it's usually too late and he's easy to blame for fans like yourself.

Excuses....I don't think the 1st team playcalling tonight meant much. At least, I hope not. I give credit where credit is do. Sometimes Ben deserves the credit and sometimes he deserves the blame. There are other fans that can't put any blame on certain players or coaches. I'm not one of them.

Captain QB
08-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Excuses....I don't think the 1st team playcalling tonight meant much. At least, I hope not. I give credit where credit is do. Sometimes Ben deserves the credit and sometimes he deserves the blame. There are other fans that can't put any blame on certain players or coaches. I'm not one of them.

And there are some fans that only look at stat sheets or just blame the most visible player. The simple truth of the matter is the Patriots use their best player the entire game, while the Steelers wait until the fourth quarter to use their best player in hopes he can bail them out. One team values points, the other values time of possession.

steelz09
08-19-2013, 11:26 PM
And there are some fans that only look at stat sheets or just blame the most visible player. The simple truth of the matter is the Patriots use their best player the entire game, while the Steelers wait until the fourth quarter to use their best player in hopes he can bail them out. One team values points, the other values time of possession.

Come on.... Do you really think this team doesn't value points? Does Tomlin & Haley game plan with the mindset of having the least points possible but the highest time of possession? Do you really think that?

Captain QB
08-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Come on.... Do you really think this team doesn't value points? Does Tomlin & Haley game plan with the mindset of having the least points possible but the highest time of possession? Do you really think that?

I think they believe as long as they merely hold onto the ball, they can grind out low scoring wins.

Captain Lemming
08-19-2013, 11:36 PM
The simple truth of the matter is the Patriots use their best player the entire game, while the Steelers wait until the fourth quarter to use their best player in hopes he can bail them out. One team values points, the other values time of possession.

Simple truth is that when the Pats DID NOT gear their entire offense around Brady......they won 3 Superbowls.
Since Brady has been a top fantasy pick? ZERO.

Captain Lemming
08-19-2013, 11:39 PM
I think they believe as long as they merely hold onto the ball, they can grind out low scoring wins.

Or they looked at what has worked consistently, what teams of Ben's actually SCORED the most.
Teams that threw less than 500 times. EVERY YEAR without exception playoffs.

Captain QB
08-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Simple truth is that when the Pats DID NOT gear their entire offense around Brady......they won 3 Superbowls.
Since Brady has been a top fantasy pick? ZERO.

Nor were offenses as wide open as they are now back then. Hell, Tampa Bay won a super bowl with that fatso at QB.

If the Patriots geared their offense around those no-name RBs they have, think they'd get to the super bowl in 2013?

Captain QB
08-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Or they looked at what has worked consistently, what teams of Ben's actually SCORED the most.
Teams that threw less than 500 times. EVERY YEAR without exception playoffs.

So those years they play calling was "Run, run, BEN HELP!"?

Also, I'd say Ben's a better QB now than he was in 2007. The Steelers need to let him do more on the early downs and earlier in the game, then maybe he won't have to do as much in the fourth quarter.

Captain Lemming
08-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Nor were offenses as wide open as they are now back then. Hell, Tampa Bay won a super bowl with that fatso at QB.

If the Patriots geared their offense around those no-name RBs they have, think they'd get to the super bowl in 2013?
I cannot speculate on that.
All I know is that an inferior QB who threw 100 FEWER passes than he did BEAT HIM last year 28-13.
Brady passed 54 times and the team scored 13 points.

Putting it ALL on the back of one man rarely works.

Snatch98
08-20-2013, 12:05 AM
I recorded the game so I haven't had a chance to watch it. I'll likely watch it over the next couple days. What I don't understand is why everyone goes in to the preseason expecting the Steelers to throw it all on the table and light teams up. As someone else said somewhere on the board this evening. (It may be in this very thread) The Preseason is about putting players in live situations and evaluating. It's NOT about going out and doing everything in your power to win the football game. Therefore I don't understand why everyone is getting so bent out of shape about what seems to be everything. Outside of hoping that Bell is fine (I read he hurt his foot?) I don't really care what happens in these games. As long as the Coaches see what they want to see and we come out healthy all is well in the world. The thread title is a different week, the same story, well each preseason it's a different preseason and the same complaining. We aren't going to come out and start slinging stuff down field, maybe they run those screens to force the line to block a certain way. It's all for a reason. People need to chill.

Captain Lemming
08-20-2013, 12:06 AM
So those years they play calling was "Run, run, BEN HELP!"?

Also, I'd say Ben's a better QB now than he was in 2007. The Steelers need to let him do more on the early downs and earlier in the game, then maybe he won't have to do as much in the fourth quarter.

What do you mean. We HAVE BEEN DOING THAT under BA since 2008 when he basically cut Ben loose. It has been up and down.
When we run well and often with Ben.....we win.

Captain Lemming
08-20-2013, 12:11 AM
As someone else said somewhere on the board this evening. (It may be in this very thread) The Preseason is about putting players in live situations and evaluating. It's NOT about going out and doing everything in your power to win the football game.

I dont know who said that but that kind of clear unassailable logic is indeed impressive!!!! :)

Seriously, while I agree about the play calling, the actual play, especially of the O-Line was is scary.
That and not the play calling is reason for real concern.

Captain QB
08-20-2013, 12:11 AM
What do you mean. We HAVE BEEN DOING THAT under BA since 2008 when he basically cut Ben loose. It has been up and down.
When we run well and often with Ben.....we win.

And in more recent seasons they've just been smacking their heads against a concrete wall, wasting downs, putting Ben in bad 3rd & long situations. They need to pass more often on first downs.

fordfixer
08-20-2013, 12:20 AM
And in more recent seasons they've just been smacking their heads against a concrete wall, wasting downs, putting Ben in bad 3rd & long situations. They need to pass more often on first downs.
A different name same post

Chadman
08-20-2013, 02:19 AM
It's just not a real pre-season without Chicken Little making an early appearance..

DBR96A
08-20-2013, 05:15 AM
So this is what I'm gathering from what I've read here:

1. Todd Haley is supposed to tip his hand and use his entire playbook during the pre-season.

2. It takes no time at all to successfully install a blocking scheme that's fundamentally different than before.

3. The starting offensive line should look like they've been together for years despite all five of them being together for only the second time ever.

K.

papillon
08-20-2013, 07:32 AM
THIS is a legit concern. I do not care about playcalling as they are calling plays to make evaluations, not to win at all cost.

Mental mistakes have plagued the Steelers since they last won the Superbowl and that includes the two time Superbowl winning quarterback. I'm not sure what the problem is, but regardless of who the players are the Steelers seem to be unable to focus mentally for a complete game.

Pappy

papillon
08-20-2013, 07:33 AM
I don't even know what to say other than our OTs are awful...

That's a good start at figuring out what to say.

Pappy

Oviedo
08-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Mental mistakes have plagued the Steelers since they last won the Superbowl and that includes the two time Superbowl winning quarterback. I'm not sure what the problem is, but regardless of who the players are the Steelers seem to be unable to focus mentally for a complete game.

Pappy

Problems start and end with the OL. It causes everything else on the offense to fall apart.

papillon
08-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Problems start and end with the OL. It causes everything else on the offense to fall apart.

I agree 100%, however, as a team, the Steelers are not good enough to overcome mental mistakes that should be avoided. Physical mistakes are one thing, sometimes the other guy makes plays, but mental mistakes kill drives or allow the other team to score points and they are the easiest to correct. Right now it's not about the football, it's the preseason, but if you're making mental mistakes and getting penalties or missing blocks or not securing the football this lack of focus will spill over into the regular season and we'll all wonder what the H3ll is going on.

This version of the Steelers has enough talent to compete in this league and win games, but they do not have the mental ability right now to compete. They will lose to teams they should beat because they allow them in games due to mental mistakes, add that to the teams that beat them even when they play their best and their average again, just like last year.

IMO, physically and talent wise the Steelers are a top team, mentally they are inferior by a long shot to the best teams, including the Ravens.

Pappy

feltdizz
08-20-2013, 08:39 AM
It's just not a real pre-season without Chicken Little making an early appearance..

sorry Chadman but this team looks awful right now...

I know it's preseason but that's the problem....I'm looking at this team with my preseason goggles and they still look awful. I'm not trying to hear any excuses about calling plays to see XYZ.

Our biggest problem is red zone scoring and we can't even work on it because we can't get past mid field.

feltdizz
08-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Excuses? I am not defending our PLAY.
Please take note of what I have said.

I am defending the PLAY-CALLING. .....BECAUSE the tackles are playing horrible.

Worry all you want about the lack of blocking for Ben....I AGREE WITH YOU.

Just dont do that while complaining that we are not throwing deep, as others are doing.

We are not calling plays strategically. We are evaluating and doing so in a way that puts Ben at the least risk.

sounds like excuses to me...

Is a 10 yard pass considered a deep pass?

JB13
08-20-2013, 09:24 AM
I agree 100%, however, as a team, the Steelers are not good enough to overcome mental mistakes that should be avoided. Physical mistakes are one thing, sometimes the other guy makes plays, but mental mistakes kill drives or allow the other team to score points and they are the easiest to correct. Right now it's not about the football, it's the preseason, but if you're making mental mistakes and getting penalties or missing blocks or not securing the football this lack of focus will spill over into the regular season and we'll all wonder what the H3ll is going on.

This version of the Steelers has enough talent to compete in this league and win games, but they do not have the mental ability right now to compete. They will lose to teams they should beat because they allow them in games due to mental mistakes, add that to the teams that beat them even when they play their best and their average again, just like last year.

IMO, physically and talent wise the Steelers are a top team, mentally they are inferior by a long shot to the best teams, including the Ravens.

Pappy

This is a great post and, obviously, one I agree with. I don't know what it is, but for nearly Tomlin's entire tenure, it doesn't seem like the Steelers are afraid of screwing up. There's no fear of reprisal with these guys. I'm not saying guys don't get benched, like Mendenhall, but guys don't seem to give a sh*t. That attitude comes from Tomlin. He instills and reinforces the attitude of the team. I think he's too chummy with his team, like they view him more as a friend than anything else. Granted, this is my view from the outside, but like Pappy said, when you have mental errors to the degree the Steelers have them, it's a concern.

Last year, it seemingly took them more than a quarter to get into games and there were other times when they never got into it. Our O line is in love with holding, they can't protect anyone and while there is a large degree of ability that goes with that, surely preparation and mental focus play a role. False starts? That's all mental. Late hits? That's mental. Being aware of the game situation and what your role in the game is when/if you get the ball? That's mental. There were WAY too many times last year (and the year before) when the Steelers seemed to be sleeping. Great teams do not sleep and if there are guys sleeping, either the coach or the other players take care of it - quickly.

I get that the O line hasn't played together much, but after a point, that ceases to be a valid excuse. Pouncey, a vet at this point, had an AWFUL game. He should be setting the tone for the rest of the line. That's not how you do it.

I keep saying it and I know a lot of people disagree with me, but we need a new coach. The Steelers lack focus and discipline and that's on the head coach. This team is not going anywhere as long as Mike Tomlin leads them. I live in New England so I see the Patriots play every week. Belichick has his team ready every week and they have a ton of guys who may not be the most skilled, but they are so dialed-in mentally that they make up for any physical shortcomings by processing things quicker than their opponents. Brady usually has ALL DAY to throw. Sure, that has a lot to do with the talent of the O line, but it's also about scheme and about being disciplined. Belichick demands discipline and if you don't play that way, he'll find someone who will. Every Patriot knows and accepts this. The Steelers? They don't care.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are in for a LONG season. This team is a mess right now. I don't care what plays are called, if you can't block, can't stop committing penalties and can't stop turning over the ball, you won't win. This team, as they are constructed right now, won't win much. What Haley does or doesn't do is irrelevant. Tomlin is the guy deserving of the scrutiny and when you look at where this team is, you should see how poorly coached this team is, today. Yes, he has gone to two Super Bowls, but I'm talking about now. This team is a sh*tshow.

RussBII
08-20-2013, 09:25 AM
That's a good start at figuring out what to say.

Pappy

It's so good I didn't even say anything else about it....

Defense showed some, repeat _some_, life.

feltdizz
08-20-2013, 09:41 AM
So this is what I'm gathering from what I've read here:

1. Todd Haley is supposed to tip his hand and use his entire playbook during the pre-season.

2. It takes no time at all to successfully install a blocking scheme that's fundamentally different than before.

3. The starting offensive line should look like they've been together for years despite all five of them being together for only the second time ever.

K.

1. tipping our hand? Do we have some magical offense where Ben throws the ball down field behind his back?

2. OTA's and Camp should be enough time. Do we really have to wait 2 or 3 years for every new scheme to gel? All we've heard for the last 4 years is "almost, real close, etc..."

3. How hard is it for 5 guys to pass block?

Sword
08-20-2013, 09:52 AM
yep..same performance game play like last week like end of last years season......
I saw nothing to convince me we will be any better then 8-8 team at best.....

Offense looked terrible.....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-20-2013, 10:11 AM
To show my point with Gradkowski notice the complete change in playcalling?
ONE first down rush by a running back in with Grad in the game during the second quarter. Way more attention to the receivers. Why?

Does this mean they plan to call games that way? No.
Do they trust Grad more than they do Ben?

Answer: Not nearly as worried about the backup QB and he NEEDS the work with this team in a game setting.

Dont worry about the playcalling

I wonder if those people who are complaining about the play calling are the same ones who get surprised every year when the Steelers don't go after the big ticket free agents. :D

Every year same thing...

Sword
08-20-2013, 01:08 PM
This is a great post and, obviously, one I agree with. I don't know what it is, but for nearly Tomlin's entire tenure, it doesn't seem like the Steelers are afraid of screwing up. There's no fear of reprisal with these guys. I'm not saying guys don't get benched, like Mendenhall, but guys don't seem to give a sh*t. That attitude comes from Tomlin. He instills and reinforces the attitude of the team. I think he's too chummy with his team, like they view him more as a friend than anything else. Granted, this is my view from the outside, but like Pappy said, when you have mental errors to the degree the Steelers have them, it's a concern.

Last year, it seemingly took them more than a quarter to get into games and there were other times when they never got into it. Our O line is in love with holding, they can't protect anyone and while there is a large degree of ability that goes with that, surely preparation and mental focus play a role. False starts? That's all mental. Late hits? That's mental. Being aware of the game situation and what your role in the game is when/if you get the ball? That's mental. There were WAY too many times last year (and the year before) when the Steelers seemed to be sleeping. Great teams do not sleep and if there are guys sleeping, either the coach or the other players take care of it - quickly.

I get that the O line hasn't played together much, but after a point, that ceases to be a valid excuse. Pouncey, a vet at this point, had an AWFUL game. He should be setting the tone for the rest of the line. That's not how you do it.

I keep saying it and I know a lot of people disagree with me, but we need a new coach. The Steelers lack focus and discipline and that's on the head coach. This team is not going anywhere as long as Mike Tomlin leads them. I live in New England so I see the Patriots play every week. Belichick has his team ready every week and they have a ton of guys who may not be the most skilled, but they are so dialed-in mentally that they make up for any physical shortcomings by processing things quicker than their opponents. Brady usually has ALL DAY to throw. Sure, that has a lot to do with the talent of the O line, but it's also about scheme and about being disciplined. Belichick demands discipline and if you don't play that way, he'll find someone who will. Every Patriot knows and accepts this. The Steelers? They don't care.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are in for a LONG season. This team is a mess right now. I don't care what plays are called, if you can't block, can't stop committing penalties and can't stop turning over the ball, you won't win. This team, as they are constructed right now, won't win much. What Haley does or doesn't do is irrelevant. Tomlin is the guy deserving of the scrutiny and when you look at where this team is, you should see how poorly coached this team is, today. Yes, he has gone to two Super Bowls, but I'm talking about now. This team is a sh*tshow.

I so agree with your response.....I would say if Tomlin doesn't turn this Steeler team around they need to replace.......

feltdizz
08-20-2013, 01:13 PM
I wonder if those people who are complaining about the play calling are the same ones who get surprised every year when the Steelers don't go after the big ticket free agents. :D

Every year same thing...

I wonder if the people who don't complain get surprised by the sacks and OL looking like butt sauce.

fezziwig
08-20-2013, 02:35 PM
I didn't think anyone else's offense could make Arians offense look like the greatest show on turf. Another Tomlin team with disciplined issues. I know it's just preseason but, the good teams usually show it early. I wonder if Tomlin is going to make it three seasons in a row that he's lost the opener of regular season ? Anyone want to take a guess at it ?

sedatedsteelerfan
08-20-2013, 02:40 PM
I didn't think anyone else's offense could make Arians offense look like the greatest show on turf. Another Tomlin team with disciplined issues. I know it's just preseason but, the good teams usually show it early. I wonder if Tomlin is going to make it three seasons in a row that he's lost the opener of regular season ? Anyone want to take a guess at it ?

Boy! Given all of Tennessee issues, I can't possibly see us losing that game. But then again, Tomlin pretty much has a cemented History of NOT properly preparing the team for opponents that we SHOULD have easily beaten...Browns, Raiders, KC, ect.

So who knows if we can beat a reletively young, and bad Titans team.

Ghost
08-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Boy! Given all of Tennessee issues, I can't possibly see us losing that game. But then again, Tomlin pretty much has a cemented History of NOT properly preparing the team for opponents that we SHOULD have easily beaten...Browns, Raiders, KC, ect.

So who knows if we can beat a reletively young, and bad Titans team.

The titans were the worst team in the league last season at the time they beat the Steelers. I can't see us losing the game but I'm not throwing any $$ down either. If they can figure out what going on; there's no reason not to be 4-1 going into the bye week.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-20-2013, 02:54 PM
I wonder if the people who don't complain get surprised by the sacks and OL looking like butt sauce.

True. I'm pretty sure that this team will get better if I complain more.

feltdizz
08-20-2013, 03:01 PM
True. I'm pretty sure that this team will get better if I complain more.

how has the opposite worked out the last few weeks? :D

papillon
08-20-2013, 03:19 PM
The titans were the worst team in the league last season at the time they beat the Steelers. I can't see us losing the game but I'm not throwing any $$ down either. If they can figure out what going on; there's no reason not to be 4-1 going into the bye week.

Pick 6
2 other TOs
5 penalties for 65 yards

That's by the starting offense and defense in 1 half of football. That's a pretty good reason right there to believe that 4-1 is not happening. Difficult to be optimistic when the same issues that plagued the team last year are still occurring.

Pappy

Pappy

NorthCoast
08-20-2013, 09:00 PM

Maybe not true in the preseason, but certainly true in the BA era. In BA's last season, Ben was allowed to make play changes at the line any time he wanted. How did that work out for him? I'll answer that for you, he was sacked 40 times, and total 21 TDs. But yeah, he got yards 4077 to be exact, woohoo.
Roethlisberger is at his best when playing from behind or playing under pressure. That's his game, that's why 3rd and longs don't bother me as much as others.

steelz09
08-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Now, that I had a chance to "reflect" on our second preseason game.... I'm not very disappointed with the overall performance.

After all, we hear the Tomlinisms and the buzz words on a weekly basis like the "standard is the standard". Well, the Tomlin-lead team set a pretty crappy standard towards the end of last year and the team has been meeting that standard ever since. Why should we expect it to change?

fezziwig
08-20-2013, 10:56 PM
We don't have the talent we once had and we have a head coach that doesn't seem to have wear with all to run a discipline team. You have players getting old, players not playing up to their potential, players not worth their draft status/selection along with players that can't stay healthy. Top that off with a front office holding onto old players, allowing good young players to leave and once again, a head coach that doesn't have his focus upon any of the above mentioned. Be prepared to get the ear beatings from the Browns, Bengal fans for a real long time.

Keyplay1
08-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Mister Pittsburgh said: "Amazingly 30 other starting QB's throw downfield in these meaningless games, practicing their real offenses to hone their skills, without fearing injury. We, however are too fearful of our crap line to try to run our real offense out of fear our starting QB won't make it to opening game.

"We, however are too fearful of our crap line to try to run our real offense"

I was thinking the same thing but now I am not so sure. Now I am wondering if just maybe this is our real offense.

And as far as all this meaningless preseason BS goes, the only thing not important about these games is the score.

feltdizz
08-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Now, that I had a chance to "reflect" on our second preseason game.... I'm not very disappointed with the overall performance.

After all, we hear the Tomlinisms and the buzz words on a weekly basis like the "standard is the standard". Well, the Tomlin-lead team set a pretty crappy standard towards the end of last year and the team has been meeting that standard ever since. Why should we expect it to change?

Actually... after re-watching the game I'm not nearly as upset. I'm being sincere too... most of my frustration is due to the typical first series 3rd down sack and the sloppy penalties.

Looking at the game a second time showed me that while our OL has issues protecting the QB at times there were also some great routes, great catches and decent holes for the RB.

feltdizz
08-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Mister Pittsburgh said: "Amazingly 30 other starting QB's throw downfield in these meaningless games, practicing their real offenses to hone their skills, without fearing injury. We, however are too fearful of our crap line to try to run our real offense out of fear our starting QB won't make it to opening game.

"We, however are too fearful of our crap line to try to run our real offense"

I was thinking the same thing but now I am not so sure. Now I am wondering if just maybe this is our real offense.

And as far as all this meaningless preseason BS goes, the only thing not important about these games is the score.

On second glance we had a few 15 to 20 yard pass plays... but yes, our real offense looks like small ball vs the BA offense we had.

Keyplay1
08-21-2013, 12:52 PM
feltdizz said "On second glance we had a few 15 to 20 yard pass plays... but yes, our real offense looks like small ball vs the BA offense we had."

What's funny about this is when the OC change was made I figured it was just about the right time for it. I thought the BA offense was too conservative. The facts were TS were not even close to being in the top group of downfield passing teams. [Passes over 15 before now 20 yd in the air]. Maybe Ben was 7th or 9th a few times but mostly middle of the pack. And no, it was not only the Kitna type always playing from behind throwing 45-55 passes a game but Eli Manning and Aaron Roger were usually right there at the top.

Also TS were not running the ball good enough from the 11 set. 1RB 1TE 3WR. This also needed correcting. And it looks like it will be. So that is good. But meanwhile the overall O seems to be shrinking and that is not good. Is it?

feltdizz
08-21-2013, 12:58 PM
feltdizz said "On second glance we had a few 15 to 20 yard pass plays... but yes, our real offense looks like small ball vs the BA offense we had."

What's funny about this is when the OC change was made I figured it was just about the right time for it. I thought the BA offense was too conservative. The facts were TS were not even close to being in the top group of downfield passing teams. [Passes over 15 before now 20 yd in the air]. Maybe Ben was 7th or 9th a few times but mostly middle of the pack. And no, it was not only the Kitna type always playing from behind throwing 45-55 passes a game but Eli Manning and Aaron Roger were usually right there at the top.

Also TS were not running the ball good enough from the 11 set. 1RB 1TE 3WR. This also needed correcting. And it looks like it will be. So that is good. But meanwhile the overall O seems to be shrinking and that is not good. Is it?

If the O shrinks and marches down the field for TD's.. I don't have a problem with it. Unfortunately I think we may have the same RZ struggles which will be frustrating when we look at TOP vs the score. The other concern I have is adjustments... teams are already creeping up on us and eating up bubble screens and swing passes... if that continues it will be a long year. I still think our WR core isn't strong enough to play underneath

Ghost
08-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Is it just me or did anyone else feel as if there were multiple times when Ben was scrambling that the Steelers WRs didn't seem to be able to get open?

feltdizz
08-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Is it just me or did anyone else feel as if there were multiple times when Ben was scrambling that the Steelers WRs didn't seem to be able to get open?

couldn't see Ben and the WR's at the same time... but I wouldn't be surprised if the younger WR's are having a hard time adjusting to Ben's scrambling style. Also wonder if the shorter routes make it easier for the D to cover WR's.

Captain Lemming
08-21-2013, 07:05 PM
On second glance we had a few 15 to 20 yard pass plays... but yes, our real offense looks like small ball vs the BA offense we had.

Just like the game Dizz step back and look at the facts. In 2011 we scored only 20.3 POINTS A GAME.
Our scoring went UP under Haley DESPITE Ben missing three games with injury.

Captain Lemming
08-21-2013, 07:27 PM

SERIOUSLY MAN HOW CAN YOU know OUR REAL OFFENSE?

Ben said that we arent even showing it.
As I said before, it looks to me that they opened it up after Ben was out. How do we know THAT was not the real offense?
Ben to Brown on a deep route WILL NOT HELP YOU EVALUATE guys you are gonna cut or keep.
Batch and Dwyer running and catching MEANS SOMETHING. They need touches.

Landry Jones to Moye....those are meaningful passes to receivers, Grad to Wheaton, valuable experience with a new team.

Ben to Sanders? Really? All that does is make us feel good about the team, shows the coaches NOTHING they have not seen. AND it puts Ben at risk. We complain about the sacks and want MORE DEEP PLAYS? Why?

Ben goes out and the FIRST TEAM OLINE STAYS IN. Why?

They needed more reps PASS BLOCKING and we passed more with Gradkowki.

Seriously before you disagree think about it.

If you are coach what good does it do to pull out all the stops to win the game?

Captain QB
08-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Probably because it looks too much like the small ball offense from last year.

Shawn
08-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Probably because it looks too much like the small ball offense from last year.

When your man Ben said himself they haven't shown anything yet? They are working on certain things? How do you know? Overreact much?

flippy
08-22-2013, 11:01 AM

Why risk Ben when you can risk Gradkowski :)

Captain QB
08-22-2013, 12:25 PM
When your man Ben said himself they haven't shown anything yet? They are working on certain things? How do you know? Overreact much?

If the offense wasn't crappy like it was last year I'd probably see it your way. However, considering how bad it was last year it probably would be a little more beneficial if they showed more than just "we're going to run the ball!" in these preseason games.

Shawn
08-22-2013, 12:36 PM
If the offense wasn't crappy like it was last year I'd probably see it your way. However, considering how bad it was last year it probably would be a little more beneficial if they showed more than just "we're going to run the ball!" in these preseason games.

Yeah, that makes zero sense. Try again.

feltdizz
08-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Just like the game Dizz step back and look at the facts. In 2011 we scored only 20.3 POINTS A GAME.
Our scoring went UP under Haley DESPITE Ben missing three games with injury.

I really don't care about PPG and other stats... I care about wins and losses and the eye test.

feltdizz
08-22-2013, 01:03 PM

Ben said that we arent even showing it.
As I said before, it looks to me that they opened it up after Ben was out. How do we know THAT was not the real offense?
Ben to Brown on a deep route WILL NOT HELP YOU EVALUATE guys you are gonna cut or keep.
Batch and Dwyer running and catching MEANS SOMETHING. They need touches.

Landry Jones to Moye....those are meaningful passes to receivers, Grad to Wheaton, valuable experience with a new team.

Ben to Sanders? Really? All that does is make us feel good about the team, shows the coaches NOTHING they have not seen. AND it puts Ben at risk. We complain about the sacks and want MORE DEEP PLAYS? Why?

Seriously before you disagree think about it.

If you are coach what good does it do to pull out all the stops to win the game?

1) The reality is this OL isn't going to change between now and week 1 (barring another Gilbert injury of course)

2) Ben always tells the media all is well with the O.

Captain Lemming
08-22-2013, 02:31 PM
1) The reality is this OL isn't going to change between now and week 1 (barring another Gilbert injury of course)

2) Ben always tells the media all is well with the O.

I share the concern with the oline.
THAT IS WHY IT SEEMS LOGICAL not to put Ben at unnecessary risk in the preseason by calling more deep routes.

That is why you cannot reasonable criticize preseason playcalling. They are NOT following a strategy to win games but to evaluated talent and to give experience to young players.

For example say it is 1st and 5 on the five. I might call four straight run plays to see our guys punch it in regardless if they get stuffed every down. I am looking at the oline and how it is jelling. Should that happen the Crash's on this board will lose their collective minds. Is that what Haley will do in a real game. Not likely, but people here will be convinced it is the beginning of the end.