PDA

View Full Version : A Few PostGame Thoughts

NorthCoast
08-11-2013, 09:23 AM
As expected, Jones flashed a few times with his athleticism, grabbing a loose ball in the backfield, making an amazing tackle on a RB that was heading for a huge gain. But that was tempered with frequently taking wrong angles, getting swallowed up by the OL. It was interesting to note that even as a rookie he was double-teamed a number of times. Overall, not a bad showing for his first time out, though he does need to get stronger. Worilds will work himself out of a starting spot if he has another night like last night. Two personal fouls in a matter of a few minutes, costing big field position. Maybe he was just trying a little too hard to show something. A couple of other 2nd team LBs also showed some promise. McFadden, Williams, Rolle in particular showed great speed in getting to the ball.

RBs: LSH was outstanding between the tackles, especially going to the right with that wrecking crew OL in front of him. Stephens Howling has excellent vision in finding holes and he is so small defenders can lose sight of him. Based on one game, I think he sticks. Dwyer was Dwyer once again, made a few nice runs but dropped two passes, and danced on a few runs, resulting in tackles for no gain. Redman only had a couple of carries that I saw, and he seemed much more trimmed down and ran with decision.

WR: Wheaton had a couple of really nice grabs, one being very tough in traffic. He will be starting sooner rather than later for the Steelers. Brown did everything he could to show he belongs on the team and he looked good doing it. Dunn only had only a few opportunities for a return, got blasted on one, showed his amazing speed getting to the corner on another. He will get his chances.

Al Woods doesn't belong with 3rd teamers, guy just made play after play and was a man among boys.

Gradkowski looks to be a good pickup as backup QB. He has good vision in the pocket, and moves around very well for a QB his size. He seemed comfortable in the offense and completed a number of good throws. Landry on the otherhand, looks to need a lot more time with the clipboard. If he has to play for any stretch this season, the Steelers will be in trouble. Parker-Wilson did a nice job with his opportunity.

Other Stuff: Golden is looking good and seems much stronger, making a few good tackles. Secondary had their chances once again to take the ball away but couldn't do it. Is this some Steeler curse?

Steelhere10
08-11-2013, 10:28 AM
The players / units that impressed me were,

The Starting Ol, Gilbert being the least impressive

The Lb with the Exception of Carter and Worilds making bone hard plays

The reserve Dl

I. Green
S Thomas
JD and Al woods
Wheaton and Justin Brown

thor75
08-11-2013, 10:37 AM
The players / units that impressed me were,

The Starting Ol, Gilbert being the least impressive

The Lb with the Exception of Carter and Worilds making bone hard plays

The reserve Dl

I. Green
S Thomas
JD and All woods
Wheaton and Justin Brown

I thought the WR unit as a whole did a Good job.

The Bad: Special Teams

The Ugly: Clark and Polamalu whiffing on that second series run!!

Mister Pittsburgh
08-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Jones looked like he needs to get stronger.

Kion Lewis made some nice plays.

i would keep Parker Wilson over Jones.

Slapstick
08-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Rolle looked good all around...

He had a sack, a tackle for loss and a pass defenses...also credited with a couple of QB pressures...

7 UP
08-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Things I noticed. Typing on my Galaxy excuse the tap-type ohs.

Gilbert looked no beter than he ever has. Hes an awful tackle with no upside. I really dont even want him here as a backup. I was also disappointed in the play of Foster.

I thought Guy Whimper looked pretty good last night fo the most part.

Jarvis Jones will not be ready to start week 1. He showed wome flashes. But he also showed flashes of being a rookie by over pursuit on nearly every play. He needs work. I can see him geeting his chance later on in the season probably due to injury.

I have been known to support Haleys offense. Last night it seemed like it was illegal to throw anything but a screen pass. And none of the screens seemed to work. You have to run at least some conventional passing plays. I hope that isnt a sign of whats to come this year.

Welcome back Willie Gay. I still hate you.

Welcome to the team Stevens Howling. Bell and Howling may very well be our best two backs. If they only keep four I think Dwyers gone.

I like Wheaton. I really feel better about our WR group after watching him play. I think he is our clear number 3 and possibly 2 by next year.

Players Im really pulling for after last night
Mcfadden
Woods
Arnfelt
Moye
Williams

Btw. Landry Jones looked like he would rather be anywhere else last night. Deer in the headlights look in a big way. Not a good trait for a qb. Looks like a horrible 4th round pick. Yes I know its early.

Slapstick
08-11-2013, 02:15 PM
How many times was Jones sacked last night?

hawaiiansteel
08-11-2013, 03:45 PM
How many times was Jones sacked last night?

he holds onto the ball too long...:stirpot

BradshawsHairdresser
08-11-2013, 04:39 PM
i would keep Parker Wilson over Jones.

Wouldn't be real surprised to see them keep Wilson as the 3rd-stringer, and stash Jones on the practice squad for this season in order to try to develop him.

hawaiiansteel
08-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Wouldn't be real surprised to see them keep Wilson as the 3rd-stringer, and stash Jones on the practice squad for this season in order to try to develop him.

you don't think another team would most likely claim Landry jones if we tried to stash him on the PS?

Jooser
08-11-2013, 05:22 PM
What about Ta'amu? He looked unblockable to me last night. He blew up double teams, and pushed the center back 10 yards straight into the QB one time and almost snatched a sack. (I know, I know, second stringers, but he still looked good.) I'd rotate him in with the first team a couple of times and see what shakes loose. If it pans out, you could move McClendon to LE (for Ziggy) and Ta'amu would be the new NT. The dude's no fridge, he's more like an earth mover with turbos.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-11-2013, 05:38 PM
I want to see al woods running with the 1st team some.

he looks much quicker/stronger than ziggy, albeit against weaker competition.

be interesting to see what he looks like against top flight talent.

Steelerphile
08-11-2013, 06:10 PM
A few positives from my point of view. I think they'll be good on the D-Line with Woods and Ta'amu looking like they are ready to contribute. Hood and Heyward didn't do a lot in a limited time but they both look good, like they are in good shape. The new emphasis on making plays, instead of holding gaps, might be the release that Hood needs to be the type of player, I think he has the ability to be.

I like Robert Golden. He got in a few balls that he could have made a play on. I also have to compliment Markus Wheaton. He's little faster than I thought and has good body control and hands. The Steelers will be fine at receiver, because Cotchery is a good veteran and either Justin Brown, Derek Moye or J D. Woods will make a good fifth.

I think David Paulson looks good. He looks a little stronger and is a good receiving TE. With all the injuries at TE, even some of the most oppositional people should welcome back David Johnson if he can get healthy.

Will Johnson is a good athlete and threat on the swing pass.

Baron Batch is creative writer and artist but I don't think he's that good of a running back. Stephens-Howling is the blueprint for a small back. Shifty, quick, stays low and hard to find. I like Dwyer's commitment to conditioning but I didn't think his running was that much more impressive.

Never been that crazy about Chris Carter. He's a good athlete but I don't think he's a playmaker. Adrian Robinson looks pretty good. Someone in the group of McFadden, Wilson, Rolle and Williams will be a good addition. I assume Williams has the team made, though. Jarvis Jones played with a high motor, which I like, but has some work to do. I think he will get some sacks and help the team.

David DeCastro looked very good, but I still wonder if Gilbert is going to fall on anyone again.

They need health to take place in the secondary. Allen, Brown, Van Dyke and Hawthorne. I'm a little concerned in that area if help doesn't arrive.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-11-2013, 06:58 PM
you don't think another team would most likely claim Landry jones if we tried to stash him on the PS?

Maybe.

But for this season? He's not ready to play, and likely won't be for a year or two. You can't afford to give up an active roster spot for someone like that.

Slapstick
08-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Maybe.

But for this season? He's not ready to play, and likely won't be for a year or two. You can't afford to give up an active roster spot for someone like that.

Sure you can. Teams do it all the time...he won't be ready to start this year, no, but he may be ready to play if needed...

Oviedo
08-11-2013, 08:54 PM
What about Ta'amu? He looked unblockable to me last night. He blew up double teams, and pushed the center back 10 yards straight into the QB one time and almost snatched a sack. (I know, I know, second stringers, but he still looked good.) I'd rotate him in with the first team a couple of times and see what shakes loose. If it pans out, you could move McClendon to LE (for Ziggy) and Ta'amu would be the new NT. The dude's no fridge, he's more like an earth mover with turbos.

I agree about T-mu. The dude was a beast. It was against back ups but I think that we saw why the Steelers were willing to give him another change. So much better watching him and McLendon instead of Fat Casey "occupying blockers."

Wouldn't McLendon and T-mu look great as a pair of 4-3 DTs?

Mister Pittsburgh
08-11-2013, 08:57 PM
I think David Paulson looks good. He looks a little stronger and is a good receiving TE. With all the injuries at TE, even some of the most oppositional people should welcome back David Johnson if he can get healthy.

I was talking up Paulson early in the off season. I compared him to Pitta. Same size and speed exactly and at Oregon he was stellar. Great hands.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Sure you can. Teams do it all the time...he won't be ready to start this year, no, but he may be ready to play if needed...

What indication have you seen that "he may be ready to play if needed" this season? I haven't seen it. Now, that may change before the final pare-down; he's talented and he may improve enough to give the team some hope of being ready to play...But if not, would it be wise to use up a roster spot on him? If they think he's the next Joe Montana, yes. If they don't think he will ever be anything more than a serviceable backup? Then I don't think so.

Right now he isn't even the third best QB on the roster.

Slapstick
08-11-2013, 10:24 PM
What indication have you seen that "he may be ready to play if needed" this season? I haven't seen it. Now, that may change before the final pare-down; he's talented and he may improve enough to give the team some hope of being ready to play...But if not, would it be wise to use up a roster spot on him? If they think he's the next Joe Montana, yes. If they don't think he will ever be anything more than a serviceable backup? Then I don't think so.

Right now he isn't even the third best QB on the roster.

Opinions vary...JPW was better?

Discipline of Steel
08-11-2013, 10:48 PM
The saving grace is that if someone claims Jones from our practice squad, they will have to elevate him to their active roster. So far, I don't think he makes anyones active roster so we may be able to stash him.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-11-2013, 11:30 PM
The saving grace is that if someone claims Jones from our practice squad, they will have to elevate him to their active roster. So far, I don't think he makes anyones active roster so we may be able to stash him.

$$$$
I agree. Of course, there would be some risk involved, but I think it would be minimal.

sedatedsteelerfan
08-12-2013, 01:55 AM
I must have watched a different game cause from what I saw, Wilson is NOT as good as Landry Jones. Yes, Wilson had the highest completion percentage, butb, did anyone else notice how bad his throws were ? 2 were really high, and one was way off the mark. All three were caught but the WR made the great catch rather then the throw was good. Landry, after his nerves settled down seemed to have a much better feel for the pocket, and a way better arm and release bthen Wilson had.

Also on a side note, it looked to me like Ben was very uncomfortable back there. I know he said publically that he and Haley are getting along better, and he accepts the offense. But I think that is just PR. Ben clearly looks like he doesn't like Haley's Offense. I could be wrong. But time will tell the tale. If Ben continues his struggles, I think it's because he clearly does not want to be in Haley;s offense.

Oviedo
08-12-2013, 03:56 AM
I must have watched a different game cause from what I saw, Wilson is NOT as good as Landry Jones. Yes, Wilson had the highest completion percentage, butb, did anyone else notice how bad his throws were ? 2 were really high, and one was way off the mark. All three were caught but the WR made the great catch rather then the throw was good. Landry, after his nerves settled down seemed to have a much better feel for the pocket, and a way better arm and release bthen Wilson had.

Also on a side note, it looked to me like Ben was very uncomfortable back there. I know he said publically that he and Haley are getting along better, and he accepts the offense. But I think that is just PR. Ben clearly looks like he doesn't like Haley's Offense. I could be wrong. But time will tell the tale. If Ben continues his struggles, I think it's because he clearly does not want to be in Haley;s offense.

Agree about Jones and Wilson and Wilson is in Year 3 not week 3.

Didn't see the discomfort you saw in Ben. He would have gotten killed with Arians' offense and the mediocre OL play.

Slapstick
08-12-2013, 10:10 AM
I must have watched a different game cause from what I saw, Wilson is NOT as good as Landry Jones. Yes, Wilson had the highest completion percentage, butb, did anyone else notice how bad his throws were ?His 4 sacks don't count as pass attempts...

Keyplay1
08-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Agree on all the points NorthCoast.

Last year I think I was trying to cut Al Woods. But I can't remember why. He does seem to be down to business this year.

Maybe they should have the DB's practice as WR's for 20-30 minutes a day with the BU QB's. After all, doesn't everyone think they can be a star WR.:D A few Int's here and there sure would help. The announcers mentioned that Rod Woodson and Willie Parker are at the camp helping. Woodson IIRC always wanted a shot at flanker and I do think actually was given reps there. That never works, but it is fun. But anyway, maybe that would help the DB's hands.

7UP said: "I have been known to support Haleys offense. Last night it seemed like it was illegal to throw anything but a screen pass. And none of the screens seemed to work. You have to run at least some conventional passing plays. I hope that isnt a sign of whats to come this year."

This was my primary concern to screw up this coming season.

But, I am still buying into the idea that the stock answers are valid. 1. No one shows anything preseason 2. TS are practicing totally different than what they showed 3. Everyone [players, coaches, restroom attendants, hot dog vendors] just loves everything they are doing offensively now 4. The growing pains of a new system are over 5. Any 1 of the bunch of other whatever the word is to describe these type of explanations. Time will tell.

sedatedsteelerfan
08-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Al Woods energy and effort are great. And his results are fantastic. But, usually that late in pre-season games, when Defensive players are going up against 3rd & 4th string O-Lines with NO chemistry, it's not surprising to get those results.
That is why I agree that Al Woods MUST get a couple of starts at DE over Ziggy Hood, who has been extremely AVERAGE and Inconsistant since we drafted him. Start Woods over him, and lets see what he can do.

feltdizz
08-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Al Woods energy and effort are great. And his results are fantastic. But, usually that late in pre-season games, when Defensive players are going up against 3rd & 4th string O-Lines with NO chemistry, it's not surprising to get those results.
That is why I agree that Al Woods MUST get a couple of starts at DE over Ziggy Hood, who has been extremely AVERAGE and Inconsistant since we drafted him. Start Woods over him, and lets see what he can do.

Al Woods stood out against 3rd and 4th stringers which is a good sign.

feltdizz
08-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Agree about Jones and Wilson and Wilson is in Year 3 not week 3.

Didn't see the discomfort you saw in Ben. He would have gotten killed with Arians' offense and the mediocre OL play.

I saw a little discomfort but it was probably due to the OL looking pathetic on pass plays.

We watched Ben get hit, make plays and get to 2 SB's with Arians offense. Not sure why he is being brought up when it looks like Ben is also going to get killed in Haley's offense (AGAIN).

phillyesq
08-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Al Woods stood out against 3rd and 4th stringers which is a good sign.

Yup. You can only play against the guys who are on the field.