PDA

View Full Version : Notes from Monday's Practice

phillyesq
07-29-2013, 10:49 PM
I always enjoy reading about camp:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2013/07/monday-news-practice-notes.html

I read good things about McFadden a few other places as well. Would be interesting to see him follow the Harrison path - not expecting a DPOY, but it would be great to see him develop into solid depth inside.

fordfixer
07-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks for posting:tt1

steelsnis
07-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Jim Wexell has a nice write up as well after today's practice. It's on his pay-site but this article was a freebie so I'll post a link here.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1311157.html

Some good stuff about Jarvis Jones and how well he uses leverage and his hands while rushing the passer. Tomlin took notice too... "Ninety-five's heavy handed..."

fordfixer
07-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Jim Wexell has a nice write up as well after today's practice. It's on his pay-site but this article was a freebie so I'll post a link here.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1311157.html

Some good stuff about Jarvis Jones and how well he uses leverage and his hands while rushing the passer. Tomlin took notice too... "Ninety-five's heavy handed..."
Nice read thanks:tt1

papillon
07-30-2013, 08:01 AM
For you guys out there that have some insight into the backs on backers drill, is there a percentage of time that the coaches expect the backer to win, a percentage of time they expect the back to win and a percentage of time they expect a draw?

Pappy

Ghost
07-30-2013, 08:12 AM
Pappy - I read this last night (not percentages but somewhat answers your question):

Tomlin tried to give the running backs a little advantage by taking out some of the element of surprise, letting them know which linebacker was coming their way.

“I acknowledge sometimes that it’s a tough enough drill for the running backs, let alone trying to figure out if it is LaMarr Woodley or Lawrence Timmons coming at you,” said Tomlin. “From time-to-time I help those guys out to level the playing field.”

The linebackers still came out on top in the drill, something that isn't unusual as it is weighted more heavily in the defenses favor with the running backs not permitted to cut block. And Jones definitely did his part to help the linebackers cause.

Eich
07-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Interesting read.

Can someone explain why in an online article like this, there was so much use of the "@" symbol? Does it serve a purpose?

@ Bell
@ Jones
@ Rookie Markus Wheaton
@ Tough day
@ Cortez Allen (knee)

SidSmythe
07-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Interesting read.

Can someone explain why in an online article like this, there was so much use of the "@" symbol? Does it serve a purpose?

@ Bell
@ Jones
@ Rookie Markus Wheaton
@ Tough day
@ Cortez Allen (knee) It's a SOCIAL MEDIA thing when you're referring to someone.

steelsnis
07-30-2013, 10:04 AM
I mentioned Jarvis Jones' hands in my earlier post, but I feel like it's important enough to mention again. A pass rusher this young who is already utilizing technique like this is waaaay ahead of the curve IMO.

We've all seen plenty of pass rushers slam into lineman, TE's and RB's only to create a large collision but not get past their blocker to get to the QB. For #95 to be surprising people with his hand-work this early is awesome. Can't wait to see more of this kid during camp and the rest of the preseason.

phillyesq
07-30-2013, 11:11 AM
I mentioned Jarvis Jones' hands in my earlier post, but I feel like it's important enough to mention again. A pass rusher this young who is already utilizing technique like this is waaaay ahead of the curve IMO.

We've all seen plenty of pass rushers slam into lineman, TE's and RB's only to create a large collision but not get past their blocker to get to the QB. For #95 to be surprising people with his hand-work this early is awesome. Can't wait to see more of this kid during camp and the rest of the preseason.

I agree. The article on Jones was really encouraging. Sounds like he has good technique and good instincts. Really excited to see what he can do.

Also interesting that he was on the inside a bit. I'd love to see a passing defense with Jones, Woodley and Worilds all on the field at once.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Also interesting that he was on the inside a bit. I'd love to see a passing defense with Jones, Woodley and Worilds all on the field at once.

Add Timmons and the QB won't know which way to look.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-30-2013, 11:42 AM

I also found it interesting that in the backs on backers drill, when he faced Bell 4 times, he used the same technique each time. To me, this shows a player who is advanced beyond the "fighting for his life" position that most rooks find themselves in and instead is in the "trying to perfect certain techniques" place that is usually reserved for seasoned vets. To me, I was envisioning a man whose focus was not winning each drill. He is working to master his bull rush, which is not known to be his greatest asset as a rusher. Maybe that is just me looking for a silver lining somewhere, but I found it an interesting tidbit.

phillyesq
07-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Add Timmons and the QB won't know which way to look.

Yup. I didn't mean to omit Timmons - I was just thinking of the three outside guys.

Shawn
07-30-2013, 02:14 PM
I would suggest that in order for Jones to be as productive as he was in college that he needed superb rushing technique. Jones does not have elite burst or twitch. But, he is strong, smart, and plays with good technique.

Captain Lemming
07-30-2013, 02:46 PM
I would suggest that in order for Jones to be as productive as he was in college that he needed superb rushing technique. Jones does not have elite burst or twitch. But, he is strong, smart, and plays with good technique.

Yeah, this can be encouraging or worrisome.
Did he have a technique edge in college, being more advanced than his peers?
In a league where others with more talent gain technique through coaching will this edge disappear?

There was the theory that Jones has little upside, which this might support.

Others are raw but talented, Jones is skilled with modest talent.

Then again some people use skills instinctively in a way that it difficult to teach.
How the heck is Welker so good in a way that you cannot teach to a more talented receiver?
I hope this is what we are seeing in Jones, but I really dont know how to feel about the fact that his skills are so advanced.

Eich
07-30-2013, 05:01 PM
It's a SOCIAL MEDIA thing when you're referring to someone.

I get it's use in Social Media apps like Twitter and Facebook. But what's the purpose in a simple online article? Is the writer just trying to look cool/hip/with-the-times? "@ Tough day" ?

I've always thought of the "@" symbol as directing something to someone - like AT them. So, @Troy Polamalu would mean you are directing something specifically to Troy in a thread that may have multiple people in it. I see it used in Facebook this way often. But in Twitter, the @username actually directs what you type to their username if it exists.

But typing the following in an article seems to make no sense to me, "@ Bell also got some work with the first team in the final team portion of practice, splitting time with Isaac Redman."

Here, nothing is directed to Bell. It's about what Bell did. It's more of an "RE: Bell" than an "@ Bell". And the writer doesn't even use it consistently. For example, McFadden is referenced at the top without an "@".