OT Mike Gorlic Jr (Notre Dame)
DE Cordian Hagans (Louisiana-Lafayette)
OG Chris Hubbard (UAB)
DT Omar Hunter (Florida)
LS Luke Ingram (Hawaii)
OC Joe Madsen (West Virginia)
RB Curtis McNeal (USC)
OC Ivory Wade (Baylor)
DT Anthony Rashad White (Michigan State)
WD J.D. Woods (West Virginia)

TE Will Shaw (Youngstown State)

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sign-15-rookies-after-nfl-draft-685291/

Oviedo
04-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Lot's of DL in there.

I think at least two or three of the Off Linemen make the final 53 for depth. I like Farrell (both OT) and Golic (C and OG) because both can play multiple positions. If I was Golic I'd be practicing long snapping...alot!

calmkiller
04-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Madsen is a knucklehead that didn't care about his grades and missed two bowl games during his career at WVU for it. Doubt he will put in the study time to be a backup. JD woods has good hands and was the third WR option in WVU offense. He can produce decent numbers and could e a serviceable backup. Not a star though, at this point.

calmkiller
04-28-2013, 09:13 AM
JD Woods Highlights. You might want to mute the audio...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INhX0Fx7Q6c

steelerkeylargo
04-28-2013, 09:26 AM
Hunter was pretty decent a couple years ago. Floyd blew by him though.

Oviedo
04-28-2013, 09:31 AM

Doesn't seem to be able to break tackles. Guys get a hand on him and he is going down. Does seem to have excellent hands though.

phillyesq
04-28-2013, 09:40 AM
I've read that Embernate was rated by some as a fourth or fifth round prospect, but that there may be some undisclosed injury. Below is a highlight - he pulls quite a bit, and you'll see that he has a nasty streak. He keeps looking for somebody to hit until the whistle blows.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/character-guys-profile-nik-embernate-220623577.html

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82556&draftyear=2013&genpos=OG

calmkiller
04-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Doesn't seem to be able to break tackles. Guys get a hand on him and he is going down. Does seem to have excellent hands though.

I would say that is an accurate assessment. He would be a possession WR here.

steelz09
04-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Love the McNeal signing.

Oviedo
04-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Love the McNeal signing.

Why? Don't know anything about him, never heard of him until we signed him.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-28-2013, 10:57 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LuyLPQzr9Vw

Mcneal looks like a shifty little dude.

steelz09
04-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Why? Don't know anything about him, never heard of him until we signed him.

I think he's underrated. He's a scrappy player. He's 5'7 and 190 lbs (Rice / MJD style which I like). I wouldn't consider that "really small" considering he's only 5'7. He's a good north / south runner and does well in between the tackles. He's surprising tough to bring down given his size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wn6g4t3Wz8

Big Ern McCracken
04-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Woods is a solid receiver. With a good camp he could make the team.

DukieBoy
04-28-2013, 11:15 AM
No TE's. I wanted Marquise Gray from U of Mn. A beast of an athlete who played QB (and a bit of WR) for the Gophers but will be a TE in the NFL.

SteelSpain
04-28-2013, 11:19 AM
No TE's. I wanted Marquise Gray from U of Mn. A beast of an athlete who played QB (and a bit of WR) for the Gophers but will be a TE in the NFL.

TE Will Shaw (Youngstown State) sign too.

Edit the first post now to include him.

flippy
04-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Woods is a solid receiver. With a good camp he could make the team.

After watching those Woods highlights, he looks like he might be the best WR from WVU in the long run. He's got ridiculous hands. Looks about the size of Hines and made a couple nice blocks in his highlight reel.

Big Ern McCracken
04-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Yea... his touches were limited due to Tavon and Steadman being on the Receiving corp also. If I'm not mistaken I think he was injured for a few games down the stretch last year also. He could have been a feature receiver for alot of teams. Obviously a project...but may surprise some folks and be a solid receiver in few year's time. I hope they keep him around on the practice squad for a year...because things will likely open up next year if Plex, cotchery, and sanders department as expected.

phillyesq
04-28-2013, 12:47 PM
With reports that the Steelers will focus on more athletic lineman, Chris Hubbard could be interesting:

http://nfldraftzone.com/draft-news/university-of-alabama-birmingham-offensive-lineman-steals-the-show-at-alabama-pro-day/

He may need to add some weight/strength, but he does have some interesting athleticism.

SidSmythe
04-28-2013, 01:34 PM
at the risk of sounding like a prude, but why would we want a guy on the team who needs his highlight video MUTED for explicit language??? Don't these guys know anything about professionalism??? I hope he stays healthy so he actually gets cut for sucking so bad.

flippy
04-28-2013, 01:44 PM
at the risk of sounding like a prude, but why would we want a guy on the team who needs his highlight video MUTED for explicit language??? Don't these guys know anything about professionalism??? I hope he stays healthy so he actually gets cut for sucking so bad.

it's not like he made his highlight video. it's probably from some 12 year old in WV.

SteelSpain
04-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Yea... his touches were limited due to Tavon and Steadman being on the Receiving corp also. If I'm not mistaken I think he was injured for a few games down the stretch last year also. He could have been a feature receiver for alot of teams. Obviously a project...but may surprise some folks and be a solid receiver in few year's time. I hope they keep him around on the practice squad for a year...because things will likely open up next year if Plex, cotchery, and sanders department as expected.

It will be interesting how many WR make the team this year and the next, and who are those WR.

thor75
04-28-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm glad to see they got the Embernate kid, I like off. lineman with a mean streak. McNeal seems like a nice pick up as well.

Chadman
04-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Looks like the Steelers have done a very solid job of signing UDFA's with an actual shot at making the PS, if not the active roster.

As far as Chadman can see, there are openings on the OL that are nowhere near set in stone- so adding a bunch of young OL makes sense. Outside of the starting 5 & Beachum, pretty sure the other 2-3 spots are open to natural selection. The Penn St OT, Farrell, looks ok- he'll probably be up against Joe Long for the swing OT spot. Back-up OC looks to be hotly contested now- Madsen, Malecki & Ivory Wade. Embernate, Golic & Hubbard might be fighting for the back-up OG spot. This could be interesting!

WR is going to be log jammed after drafting 2 guys, but the 2 UDFA's don't look without hope- certainly big chances of getting on the PS. The Utah kid ran 4.24 in his 40..

That little RB certainly doesn't play like a little RB. His hits the LOS at speed, which Chadman suspects makes him appear faster than he really is, but there is no noticable slow down when changing direction. If the Steelers are serious about removing either Dwyer or Redman from the roster, that 4th RB spot comes down to Baron Batch & this kid. (Bell, Stephens-Howling & Dwyer/Redman being the other 3). Chadman is not convinced Batch wins between the 2 of them.

A few DL- in particular, 2 reasonable NT options. Looks like the Steelers are opening up the competition at NT behind McLendon. And the 5th DE spot- could be a PS spot- is going to be fought out between Nick Williams & the UDFA's brought in.

flippy
04-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Can't wait to see all the rookies in camp. One of these kids could be the next James Harrison or Willie Parker or Steve McClendon etc.

DukieBoy
04-28-2013, 08:13 PM
McNeal highlight vid is impressive. He reads and reacts very well. Seems to be tough for his size.

DukieBoy
04-28-2013, 08:23 PM

Impressive video of Woods. Great hands. The audio is offensive, detracts from the video.

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2013, 08:26 PM
UAB offensive lineman Chris Hubbard inks with Pittsburgh Steelers

By Drew Champlin
on April 27, 2013

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/12440746-large.jpg

UAB lineman Chris Hubbard stretches before practice last fall. Hubbard reached a deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers after the draft as an undrafted free agent.

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - UAB offensive lineman Chris Hubbard didn't have to wait long after the NFL Draft to figure out his next step.

Hubbard didn't get drafted, but soon agreed to terms with the Pittsburgh Steelers as an undrafted free agent. He'll report to mini-camp next weekend.

"They called me as soon as possible after the draft," Hubbard said. "I'm excited. It's a weight lifted off my shoulders. I'm ready to go to work. They had given me calls, wanting to know the best way to get in touch with me, and now it's official."

Hubbard said he wasn't disappointed with not being drafted. Plenty of talented college players got to choose their team after the draft, and Hubbard was one of them.

"It's not a disappointment at all," Hubbard said. "I'm just glad somebody took a chance on me and picked me up."

Hubbard was an all-Conference USA selection as a quick tackle this season for Garrick McGee's Blazer squad. Hubbard helped running back Darrin Reaves top the 1,000-yard mark.

The 6-foot 4, 286-pound Hubbard showed off his speed, running a 4.71 at the University of Alabama's Pro Day. He bench-pressed 21 repetitions of 225 pounds and had a vertical jump of 28.5 inches.

"He's a very mature kid," UAB head coach Garrick McGee said about Hubbard earlier this spring. "He's consistent and it's hard to find guys consistent kids, guys you know exactly what you're going to get every single day. That's what he brings to the table.

"I think he should get an opportunity definitely as a free agent. That's all you can ask for as a college player, to get an opportunity to put on a uniform."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/04/uab_offensive_lineman_chris_hu_1.html

B&GinNC
04-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Did we bring in anybody at safety? Who's on the roster at the position beyond Troy, Ryan Clark, Robert Golden and now Shamarko Thomas? Given the loss of Ryan Mundy and Will Allen, I'm a little surprised not to at least see a training camp body/ potential PS player added at the position.

DukieBoy
04-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Did we bring in anybody at safety? Who's on the roster at the position beyond Troy, Ryan Clark, Robert Golden and now Shamarko Thomas? Given the loss of Ryan Mundy and Will Allen, I'm a little surprised not to at least see a training camp body/ potential PS player added at the position.

Cromartie Smith is on the roster too.

SteelSpain
04-29-2013, 11:59 AM

Pitt safety Jarred Holley will try out at rookie mini camp next weekend.

Also LSU DT Josh Downs.

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2013, 01:53 PM
I like Farrell (both OT) and Golic (C and OG) because both can play multiple positions. If I was Golic I'd be practicing long snapping...alot!

looks like the Golic signing is going to get us a lot of free publicity too...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/golic_zpsa130555f.jpg

steel50
04-29-2013, 02:08 PM

this is very true i hope he can make the team. i was a big recruit coming from high school

steel50
04-29-2013, 02:09 PM
very true he was a big recruit coming from highschool

Oviedo
04-29-2013, 03:03 PM
If the Steelers are serious about removing either Dwyer or Redman from the roster, that 4th RB spot comes down to Baron Batch & this kid. (Bell, Stephens-Howling & Dwyer/Redman being the other 3). Chadman is not convinced Batch wins between the 2 of them.

I think Dwyer just had a shot across the bow this weekend. The Steelers pretty much said come in in the best shape of your life or you won't be on this team.

I think Redman is done. He had his chance last year and failed to seize the opportunity. No need to keep him when you have Bell.

Unfortunately, I also think Batch has a uphill battle to make the final roster. I think the McNeal kid has a chance.

Oviedo
04-29-2013, 03:04 PM
this is very true i hope he can make the team. i was a big recruit coming from high school

I'd love to see Golic on the team too. Seems to have lots of positional flexibility.

I'd especially love to have Big Golic talking Steelers smack 24/7 in Patriots land. Would get us better press for sure.

Oviedo
04-29-2013, 03:07 PM
UAB offensive lineman Chris Hubbard inks with Pittsburgh Steelers

By Drew Champlin
on April 27, 2013

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/12440746-large.jpg

UAB lineman Chris Hubbard stretches before practice last fall. Hubbard reached a deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers after the draft as an undrafted free agent.

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - UAB offensive lineman Chris Hubbard didn't have to wait long after the NFL Draft to figure out his next step.

Hubbard didn't get drafted, but soon agreed to terms with the Pittsburgh Steelers as an undrafted free agent. He'll report to mini-camp next weekend.

"They called me as soon as possible after the draft," Hubbard said. "I'm excited. It's a weight lifted off my shoulders. I'm ready to go to work. They had given me calls, wanting to know the best way to get in touch with me, and now it's official."

Hubbard said he wasn't disappointed with not being drafted. Plenty of talented college players got to choose their team after the draft, and Hubbard was one of them.

"It's not a disappointment at all," Hubbard said. "I'm just glad somebody took a chance on me and picked me up."

Hubbard was an all-Conference USA selection as a quick tackle this season for Garrick McGee's Blazer squad. Hubbard helped running back Darrin Reaves top the 1,000-yard mark.

The 6-foot 4, 286-pound Hubbard showed off his speed, running a 4.71 at the University of Alabama's Pro Day. He bench-pressed 21 repetitions of 225 pounds and had a vertical jump of 28.5 inches.

"He's a very mature kid," UAB head coach Garrick McGee said about Hubbard earlier this spring. "He's consistent and it's hard to find guys consistent kids, guys you know exactly what you're going to get every single day. That's what he brings to the table.

"I think he should get an opportunity definitely as a free agent. That's all you can ask for as a college player, to get an opportunity to put on a uniform."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/04/uab_offensive_lineman_chris_hu_1.html

Seems really light but that may help with the new zone blocking scheme.

Appears to be open auditions for the OL.

phillyesq
04-29-2013, 04:24 PM
I'd especially love to have Big Golic talking Steelers smack 24/7 in Patriots land. Would get us better press for sure.

I'd love to hear the insights from Mike Golic through training camp. Could be an opportunity to get some interesting behind the scenes information without the drama of a Hard Knocks.

BigRob
04-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Nik Embernate's nick name is "Embernasty"

Just look at this photo, it would be a good one to caption:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrJNjK3a-L8VnUU73ISGEhH4qRKCM8gQgHQ8wJSCPw18yTstZT_g

thor75
04-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Nik Embernate's nick name is "Embernasty"

Just look at this photo, it would be a good one to caption:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrJNjK3a-L8VnUU73ISGEhH4qRKCM8gQgHQ8wJSCPw18yTstZT_g

LOVE IT!

I'm calling it, first fight in camp is Embernasty and Cam Heyward.

BigRob
04-29-2013, 05:47 PM
I http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Character-Guys-Profile-Nik-Embernate.htmlwas fortunate enough to spend some time speaking with San Diego State RG Nik Embernate. At 6'3, 304 lbs, he certainly looks the part. And his highlights are impressive. He's ferocious off the line of scrimmage and you get a sense every he's out to knock the rushing defender out of the stadium every play.
You can see some of his highlights in the clip below, along with excerpts from my interview with him. If he goes undrafted, any team would be wise to bring him into camp.

You grew up in Yucaipa, California? What was it like? Did you grow up a Chargers fan? Raiders fan?

Actually I grew up not even watching football. I played baseball until like 10th grade. It was my true love before football, and then I kinda lost interest in it and decided to give football a try and now I love the game.

Were you considering playing baseball in college?

I was to a point, but it began to not be fun for me anymore. And I felt like once that happened, it was time to give it up. Around 10th grade, high school, I started to pick up the game (football) a little more and watch more college and pro games on TV and I just kinda liked it a little bit more than baseball.

How did you actually get into football? Did someone give you a push?

We’d just gotten a new coach at our high school, and he saw me around campus and asked me if I would like to try. I wasn’t playing baseball anymore, and my mom made a rule that you’re playing sports or getting a job.

Did they put you right at guard or did they shift you around?

No I played tackle in high school. I played left tackle my sophomore year on JV, and then right tackle my junior year and senior year on the varsity team.
What was the first moment you thought you could do it at the college level?
Right after my junior year when I had some colleges showing a little interest. It kinda gave me a little more motivation that maybe I could do this.

How did you end up getting to SD State? What other schools were looking at you?

I only had 2 offers. San Diego State and Nevada. So I went to a SD State football camp, and they offered me right away. I committed very early before my senior year. I was just really drawn to San Diego. I love it down here. They don’t call it America’s finest city for no reason. I love the campus, and I love San Diego. I really liked the coaching staff that was here, but they all got fired. That's when Brady Hoke came in. He actually had a vision of what was going to happen, and we were able to turn around the program and resurrect it.

So when did you think you could play in the NFL?
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/USATSI5632394154617978lowres1.jpgUSPRESSWIRESan Diego State's Nik Embernate

My junior year. We played Michigan that year. And I had a few D-linemen come up to me and say, "Good job, keep working, and you’ll be going on to the next level." Just having other people on other teams tell me that was kinda a big deal, you know? So I think that kinda gave me a boost of confidence.

Is there one coach in particular that has had the biggest influence on you?

Brady Hoke was here my first two years. I loved him as a coach. He was a players coach. He told it how it was. I mean, after that, Mike Long is pretty much the same kinda guy. He doesn’t sugar coat things, so if you do something wrong, he’s gonna tell you. And so I kinda respect that about him.

Outside of football, what’s been the biggest experience that’s shaped you into the man you’ve become?
I would say actually getting my college degree. I was the first one in my family to graduate from college. When I first started school, I didn’t do so well. I got put on academic probation and a lot of people wrote me off and said I’d be out of school, so I got to prove some people wrong and prove I can do it.

How did you turn it around? What was your wake up call?

I just had to change everything. Study habits, everything. I couldn’t do what I did in high school to get by. I had to work 10 times harder. Normal people at school would kinda slack off and get B’s. I had to work 10 times harder to get C’s.
What’s the biggest thing motivating you now?

I think the competition aspect. I’ve always wanted to prove people wrong. Same thing at school. People were saying you’re not good enough, you’re not big enough, you’re not strong enough, you’re not fast enough. So my main thing is I like to prove people wrong. I’ve kinda been doing that since high school when I didn’ t get a lot of offers out of high school. But I did it, got through San Diego state, and now this is just another way to prove people wrong.

I’m sure they all stick out, but do any of those doubters stick out in particular?

No, none of them stick out. I try to look past them and work as hard as I can.

A lot of your family is in law enforcement. Was there any pressure to get into that instead of football?

No not at all, no pressure. But yes, my dad was a former LA county sherrif, and my step mother was an LA county sherrif. I have a grandfather who was in the San Diego police department, and then a grandfather who was in the Hawaii police department. My dad was also in the Miltary Police. And that was always my plan, to join law enforcement. Once I knew I could play at the next level in football, that kinda took a back seat. Everybody is excited about me playing football.

What’s your biggest strength as a player right now?

I think just how aggressive I play. I mean, if people just watch my tape, they can see it. I play aggressive, and try to get after people. That’s the way I’ve been playing since high school. I basically just try to knock someone out every play.
Is there anything you need to work on as a player?
Oh, there’s always things I need to work on. I know I need better knee bend and better posture to sustain blocks here and there. So there’s always things I could work on. But the physical part and the intensity, I feel like that’s something that can’t be coached, and I feel like I’ve got that down you know?

Is there anything you need to work on off the field?

No, not so much. The one thing is actually learning football. The thing I struggled with in college is that I had a learning disability, so I had to utilize our disability services for test taking, note taking, stuff like that. It takes me a little longer to learn stuff. I’m a visual learner. I need to set things up and walk through things. So that’s something I have to work on.

So do you like watching tape, or do you have to process it a different way?

I love watching film. I think it gives you a certain aspect of preparation for the opponent, but at the same time, I pick stuff up 10 times faster than tape if I set it up and walk through the play.
Nik can be found on twitter @NEmbernate (http://www.twitter.com/NEmbernate)

DukieBoy
04-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Dude looks like a Transformer in that pic in uniform.

kindlecatsb'ng
04-29-2013, 07:21 PM

Turned on this AM to see Steeler helmet in front of Golic. Wondered what was up! It was all Tebow today.

Hope his son does well.

Go Steelers! :tt2

Kindle

steelblood
04-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Anthony Rashad White did not have a good year, but when playing next to Jerrell Worthy a few years ago, some said he was the better player. He still flashes great quickness and strength. If the Steelers can motivate him, he may become a good NT.