PDA

View Full Version : Vince Williams

BradshawsHairdresser
04-27-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm not a draftnik, but I think the Steelers may have gotten themselves a gem at the end of the 6th round. I think a couple of my fellow posters even called it. I'm excited about this selection.

Dee Dub
04-27-2013, 05:41 PM
I agree. I like him a lot. See my sig...:)

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2013, 05:59 PM
very happy with this draft...

steel50
04-27-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm not a draftnik, but I think the Steelers may have gotten themselves a gem at the end of the 6th round. I think a couple of my fellow posters even called it. I'm excited about this selection.

I love this pick he will make the team

B&GinNC
04-27-2013, 09:31 PM
As an FSU alum/fan who watches the team a lot, Vince Williams was always around the ball. Guy is a playmaker. Glad to have him.

Big Ern McCracken
04-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Today may have made the draft class for us.

Rara
04-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Thomas as our strong safety...
(Still need Clark's replacement...)
Cortez, C.Brown, Hawthorne, King, Van Dyke as our corners....
Woodley, Timmons, Williams, Jones as our linebackers...
Hood Ta'amu, Hayward as our front three....

WHAT A HELL OF A DEFENSIVE GROUP FOR YEARS TO COME!!

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Vince Williams to get opportunity to plug inside linebacker hole with Steelers

May 2, 2013
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If this draft had been based on needs, then the Steelers last weekend ignored one of their neediest positions -- inside linebacker. Or did they?

They passed on Manti Te'o, passed on Kevin Minter, passed on Michael Mauti. Just as they passed on Penn State's Sean Lee four years ago in favor of Jason Worilds, the Steelers looked to fill their need at outside linebacker before they worried about the inside.

Linebackers coach Keith Butler made his pitch to general manager Kevin Colbert to draft an inside linebacker to pair with first-round pick Jarvis Jones.

"If they had done what I felt like doing, we would have taken one in the second round," Butler said. "As I told them, last time we picked first and second with linebackers we won the Super Bowl two years later. We didn't go to it, we won it. I tried to make that argument, it didn't work. It worked for one round, but it didn't work for the second round."

That draft Butler referred to was the first with Mike Tomlin as Steelers coach (2007), when they drafted inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons in the first round and outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley in the second. Both have made their impacts on defense inside and out.

Timmons was their best defensive player in 2012, and Larry Foote not only was their second-leading tackler, but also an all-around productive player with four sacks, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and 11 quarterback pressures. He also will turn 33 years old next month, and there is little else behind those two on the inside.

The question the Steelers cannot yet answer not only would be who ultimately will succeed Foote, but also who would replace Foote or Timmons this season if an injury requires it?

They thought they had that covered last year when they drafted Sean Spence in the third round. He had a brilliant preseason, leading the Steelers in tackles before his left knee was badly injured in the final game against Carolina. A nerve injury was the most serious, and the Steelers doubt he will play again because of it.

"We're going to ride with him for another year I think," Butler said. "Hopefully, his knee will respond, and he can play again. I don't think he is going to be [able to do that]. It will be miraculous if he does come back. It will be miraculous if he comes back next year. We are going to take a chance on him and see if he can come back. To me, he is worth every bit of that."

So they knew heading into 2013 they not only would be without Spence, but also had little else to count on behind their two starters.

They did not think strongly enough about veteran Stevenson Sylvester to tender him an offer as a restricted free agent. That made him an unrestricted free agent. He reacted to the indifference the rest of the NFL paid him by signing with the Steelers last month, for only one year, which will make him a free agent again in 2014.
Butler acknowledged it will be a make-or-break season for Sylvester.

"That is something I talked to him about at the end of the season. ... Sly was injured. We had little nagging injuries here and there. We had a few of those last year. We have to eliminate those and keep ourselves in position where we are available and can play during the year and not be sitting on the sideline watching the game with me because they have an injury. So we have to do things to try and correct that if we can."

That brought them in the sixth round Saturday to Vince Williams, whose resume looks like one right out of the Foote biography. Like Foote, Williams is 6 feet 1 and started two seasons at middle linebacker at a big school (Florida State). There, he spearheaded a defense that led the country in fewest yards allowed per play (3.86) and ranked second in total yards allowed per game and sixth in points allowed and rushing yards allowed.

The middle linebacker in that defense must have done something right.

"The thing that attracts us to him is that he will hit you," Butler said. "There are two things you can't teach linebackers in this league. One of them is how fast are you going to be and the other one is will you hit somebody.

"That is something I have said time and time again. I have always believed this even when I played and from watching the guys I have played with. Two things that I am not going to be able to teach you -- one of them is to hit you and the other one is to run."

One reason the 250-pound Williams was not drafted higher was that Florida State replaced him with a defensive back on passing downs. At least, Butler noted, they did not put another linebacker in for him in those situations. Foote once came off the field on third downs, too; now he stays.

"We will make that judgment when we get to training camp whether he is capable of being a three-down linebacker as opposed to being a two-down linebacker," Butler said.

The judgment on whether they have someone to replace Foote in a future lineup will come later.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/vince-williams-to-get-opportunity-to-plug-inside-linebacker-hole-with-steelers-685866/#ixzz2S9HAl7jh

SteelSpain
05-02-2013, 01:35 PM
I agree. I like him a lot. See my sig...:)

You guessed three. Congratulations.

Oviedo
05-02-2013, 01:36 PM
As an FSU alum/fan who watches the team a lot, Vince Williams was always around the ball. Guy is a playmaker. Glad to have him.

Not to be smart, but why did he last until Round 6 then? Living in Florida I get to see lots of FSU games and never really said "Wow" who is Williams.

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Not to be smart, but why did he last until Round 6 then? Living in Florida I get to see lots of FSU games and never really said "Wow" who is Williams.

Vince Williams is a two-down LB, even at FSU they took him out on passing downs because he is a liability in coverage.

BigRob
05-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Vince Williams is a two-down LB, even at FSU they took him out on passing downs because he is a liability in coverage.

Thats ok. The NFL still uses 2 down players at the ILB position in a 3-4.

steelz09
05-02-2013, 02:00 PM

Not to be smart but why would you say "Wow, who is Williams" when you obviously already know who he is? :lol:

SteelSpain
05-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Can he covers receivers? Keith Butler says camps will show.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/2/4292754/steelers-linebacker-depth-chart-nfl-draft-vince-williams

SteelerOfDeVille
05-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Story says he was taken out and replaced with a DB, not another LB... in other words, it could have been "scheme" that caused them to take him out, not his coverage ability. We'll find out in camp...

Oviedo
05-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Not to be smart but why would you say "Wow, who is Williams" when you obviously already know who he is? :lol:

Not so fast Sparky. I know his name but I DO NOT know who he is.

Do any of us really know who anybody is? Deep thoughts!!!!

SS Laser
05-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Story says he was taken out and replaced with a DB, not another LB... in other words, it could have been "scheme" that caused them to take him out, not his coverage ability. We'll find out in camp...

For a ILB some of the bigger splash plays come on 3rd down. So not being out there limits the WOW factor for a ILB. If he is as good as Foote has been it is a win in my mind. Would like him and Spence switching out as needed. Still praying and hope that young man came come back. Would also like to see the shark play with Troy also. Either 1 of them as a 3rd down "ILB"(3rd safety), like Flippy has said. Get the play makers on the field.

birtikidis
05-02-2013, 05:25 PM
We aren't going to pull Timmons on 3rd down so what does it matter if he's a 3 down player. We need a young kid who can step in and play at the point of attack. We NEED ILB's that complement each other, not ones that are identical.

phillyesq
05-02-2013, 05:43 PM
We aren't going to pull Timmons on 3rd down so what does it matter if he's a 3 down player. We need a young kid who can step in and play at the point of attack. We NEED ILB's that complement each other, not ones that are identical.

Yeah, if he is solid against the run, he would be fine next to Timmons. As BigRob said, there is plenty of room for a 2 down linebacker.

And especially with McClendon being more of a pass rush threat than Hampton ever was, the Steelers could occassionally use a 3-3 nickel package and replace a linebacker instead of replacing the NT.

For where he was selected, just making the team is an accomplishment, and as a rookie, he would primarily play special teams. If he can hit, like Butler said, he should be a nice fit there.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-02-2013, 05:58 PM
that was my take all offseason - needed a run stuffer... which is why i really like this draft selection... whether the kids pan out remains to be seen, but, IMO, they nailed their needs

SS Laser
05-02-2013, 06:14 PM
that was my take all offseason - needed a run stuffer... which is why i really like this draft selection... whether the kids pan out remains to be seen, but, IMO, they nailed their needs

I agree. But have to add that in base defense the defense needs LB's to cover 2 TE sets some times correct? If he can not cover teams will try to catch him on the field in a mismatch IMO. So it will be nice to have him and Spence rotate and even switch who starts depending on the other teams offense. If Spence can ever play again. Some times it would be nice to have 2 Timmons types on the field IMO. But another Foote type will work also.

Shoe
05-02-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm more interested in the late-round kid from Samford. Guys like this guy, what you see is what you get--a solid though limited guy.

The unknown kid from Samford is an unknown quantity--a ball of clay to be molded.

hawaiiansteel
05-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Good leadership shown by Vince Williams at Steelers’ rookie minicamp

By Christina L Rivers on May 8, 2013

Vince Williams, drafted second in the the sixth round of the 2013 NFL Draft, showed something special to the Steelers organization during rookie minicamp. While some believe he will struggle to make the cut following training camp, there is a real possibility that Williams has more to offer than first expected. Bob Labriola of Steelers Digest certainly thinks that is the case.

Labriola was a guest on the Steelers Live show, Tuesday. Labriola was asked about the performances of the rookies, and a player he admitted had caught his attention was Williams. “A couple of the things that I liked about him, were, first of all, it wasn’t very long into the on-field sessions when [Vince] Williams was instructing teammates about where they needed to be…and shifting…Williams did a lot of the defensive play calling during his college career and it seems like he has a very high football IQ. And it seemed to me, watching from the side, that that was a little bit on display right from the beginning.”

While playing at Florida State, Williams was mainly a two-down linebacker. On third downs, he would be replaced by an extra defensive back, but never another linebacker. To simply look at Williams on paper wouldn’t justify his worth. If you took a mathematical view of Williams’ college stats and then added the potential statistical rating if he played third or even fourth down, then you’d have a much broader picture.

The Steelers have lost a lot of leadership over the past two seasons with the departure of Hines Ward among other veterans. It is refreshing to see a young guy who is fighting for a roster spot step up right away and make critical decisions on the field and assist others in a positive way.

Labriola also mused that special teams coach Danny Smith might be excited by Williams’ play on special teams. While special teams are not run at the same pace in minicamp, Williams showed he has the ability to be very disruptive to opposing teams. “One of the main concepts, basic concepts of playing special teams, covering kicks,” Labriola said, “is find the guy with the ball, get the guy with the ball on the ground…that sounds like a very simplistic thing, but sometimes it can be a little bit more complicated than we might think.” Labriola said that Williams is the type of player who can make that kind of adjustment on special teams to create opportunities for the Steelers.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_talked_to_max_starks_about_returning_star ks_now_likely_to_sign_with_the_san_diego_chargers/13582580

SteelerOfDeVille
05-09-2013, 02:57 PM
On third downs, he would be replaced by an extra defensive back, but never another linebacker.
I keep repeating this... we do not know that he cannot cover... may well have been that their scheme called for another DB in passing situations.

NorthCoast
05-09-2013, 07:36 PM
A guy that has high football IQ can make up for some amount of lack of talent. Knowing where and when to be is not an easily measurable stat, but it can make a huge difference in a player's game.

....besides, it always fun to root for the underdog.

BTW, who do you suppose is the biggest underdog on the team this year?

"underdog": One that is expected to lose a contest or struggle, as in sports or politics

D Rock
05-09-2013, 07:50 PM
A guy that has high football IQ can make up for some amount of lack of talent. Knowing where and when to be is not an easily measurable stat, but it can make a huge difference in a player's game.

....besides, it always fun to root for the underdog.

BTW, who do you suppose is the biggest underdog on the team this year?

"underdog": One that is expected to lose a contest or struggle, as in sports or politics

I would have to think that the biggest underdog right now is Worilds

BigRob
05-10-2013, 04:37 PM
I would have to think that the biggest underdog right now is Worilds

Yep, he's being completely written off. Mostly, this is because a lot of fans were never on board with him to begin with. No matter that he's shown more in three years than Harrison did his first three years.

I'm sure its mostly about draft position and not drafting a Pedophile State player. But who was he going to surpass, Woodley or Harrison?

Shawn
05-10-2013, 08:27 PM
I would not be shocked if Worilds came out and had a double digit sack year.

Sugar
05-10-2013, 09:26 PM
I would not be shocked if Worilds came out and had a double digit sack year.

I wouldn't be either. He's a talented guy with something to prove. He's been in the system and should know what he's doing. The big thing for him is to actually be healthy enough to stay on the field.

D Rock
05-11-2013, 09:16 AM
If Worild's has a fantastic year, Woodley performs well, and Jones shows he is what we hope he is....GREAT!

let Worilds sign a big contract somewhere else and get a good comp pick in return

SteelSpain
05-11-2013, 10:14 AM
If Worild's has a fantastic year, Woodley performs well, and Jones shows he is what we hope he is....GREAT!

let Worilds sign a big contract somewhere else and get a good comp pick in return

I agree. It´s always better have three good players for two positions that one good player for those two positions. For that there is always a solution.

BigRob
05-11-2013, 02:49 PM

Why, Jones will have a very reasonable contract at pick 17. If that scenario happens, I say you try to hang on to Worilds, Jones, and Woodley for a few seasons.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Yep. Because you're always just one injury away from being down to just two good OLB's.

D Rock
05-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Why, Jones will have a very reasonable contract at pick 17. If that scenario happens, I say you try to hang on to Worilds, Jones, and Woodley for a few seasons.

If that scenario plays out, then Worilds as a very expensive 3rd OLB will be a luxury the team cannot afford. When you get the opportunity to have a quality starter as a cheap contract, you have to use that advantage to improve other areas of the team, not throw more money at that same position for depth.

BigRob
05-11-2013, 07:17 PM
If that scenario plays out, then Worilds as a very expensive 3rd OLB will be a luxury the team cannot afford. When you get the opportunity to have a quality starter as a cheap contract, you have to use that advantage to improve other areas of the team, not throw more money at that same position for depth.

It worked with Harrison and Woodley. If Woodley had produced last year, it would have worked very well. Why wouldn't it work with Worilds, Woodley, and Jones? It would work especially well because Jones will be under contract at a very low cap amount for 5 years.

Worilds won't command a Harrison or Woodley like deal after one big year. You can keep Worilds, Woodley, and Jones for two years.

D Rock
05-11-2013, 07:38 PM
It worked with Harrison and Woodley. If Woodley had produced last year, it would have worked very well. Why wouldn't it work with Worilds, Woodley, and Jones? It would work especially well because Jones will be under contract at a very low cap amount for 5 years.

Worilds won't command a Harrison or Woodley like deal after one big year. You can keep Worilds, Woodley, and Jones for two years.

that would have to depend on your definition of 'worked out'. IMO, the HUGE contracts given to both Woodley and Harrison severely limited the ability of the FO to operate and fill the holes they needed to. That's why Harrison had to get cut when he was still able to produce, and Woodley is being called out endlessly for not performing to his salary.

flippy
05-11-2013, 10:37 PM
speaking of OLBs, I think Worilds has the biggest potential of all 3 of those guys. He's the size of a Dlineman with a Timmons like burst. But he fits best on the left where Woodley plays. JJ's a perfect fit on the right. He's relentless. Just like another guy that I think is going to be the biggest long term surprise in robinson who is also a relentless pass rusher who just fits on the right.

i think we could end up with a solid 4 man rotation.

and back to williams, if the kid can play for 2 downs and we put shark on the field next to timmy on 3rd down, that's not so bad and option.

SteelSpain
05-12-2013, 07:17 AM
speaking of OLBs, I think Worilds has the biggest potential of all 3 of those guys. He's the size of a Dlineman with a Timmons like burst. But he fits best on the left where Woodley plays. JJ's a perfect fit on the right. He's relentless. Just like another guy that I think is going to be the biggest long term surprise in robinson who is also a relentless pass rusher who just fits on the right.

i think we could end up with a solid 4 man rotation.

and back to williams, if the kid can play for 2 downs and we put shark on the field next to timmy on 3rd down, that's not so bad and option.

My thoughts too. Too bad for Carter who seems the odd man here. I really hope they carry 5 OLBs and he is still on the team. I think he is a player.