Ghost
04-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Big kid at 6'4 / 225

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2013, 01:04 PM
i'm stoked!! that was my guy all along.

Big Ern McCracken
04-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Great pick. Certainly a guy who is capable of being a solid starter in the NFL.

Dee Dub
04-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Bill Polian had him as the best QB in this draft. And he really didn't have much of a supporting cast this past year. I like the pick. He is the next great QB for the Steelers....of course after Ben is done. :)

BradshawsHairdresser
04-27-2013, 01:35 PM
He won't stay with the Steelers for the 6 years until Ben is done. :D

feltdizz
04-27-2013, 01:43 PM
He won't stay with the Steelers for the 6 years until Ben is done. :D

He will still get reps because Ben wil moss games... then trade him to get a franchise QB...

Im just happy to finally draft a white guy at QB. :D

BigRob
04-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Dude has an NFL arm. His decision making can be spotty. But he has time to learn. Hopefully he's a worker.

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Jon Gruden: Landry Jones got “complacent,” “bored” at Oklahoma

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 12, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/landryjones-e1365790536806.jpg?w=250

NFL head coach turned ESPN commentator Jon Gruden has carved out a niche for himself in the draft analysis business by taking a lot of time with a few select players to study them on film and get to know them personally, then produce 30-minute TV specials showing their one-on-one conversations. One of the more interesting conversations Gruden had came with former Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones, who in Gruden’s opinion has the talent necessary to make it in the NFL — but who regressed over the course of his college career.

Gruden writes at ESPN.com that Jones actually looked like a better pro prospect during his freshman and sophomore seasons than he did during his junior and senior seasons, and Gruden says he sees a player who lost some of his fire for playing the quarterback position.

“Jones was around so long and had seen so much as a college player that I think he got complacent,” Gruden writes. “I see a player who got bored. He has the raw skills to do so much that I think it actually affected him negatively over the last couple of seasons, when he didn’t reach the statistical heights of his incredible sophomore season.”

In Gruden’s opinion, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and his staff didn’t do a good enough job of running an offense that played to Jones’s strengths.

“I didn’t really like a lot of the plays he had to run at Oklahoma,” Gruden writes. “Last season, the Sooners consistently didn’t have any tight ends as options in the passing game, and didn’t do enough to give Jones the option to have easy outlets, which eliminated the opportunity to dump the ball off to tight ends or running backs. If I’m going to criticize anybody for that, I’m going to criticize Oklahoma. The Sooners often went with four-wideout formations, and I thought it stymied their QB. They lost balance and their play-action passing game. That put a lot on Jones, and it probably created a situation where he had to throw the ball too often.”

Early in his college career Jones was widely regarded as a future first-round pick, but he’s now viewed as more of a mid-round pick. Perhaps some NFL team can put him in the right system to prevent him from getting complacent and bored.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/12/jon-gruden-landry-jones-got-complacent-and-bored-at-oklahoma/#content

Shoe
04-27-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm comforted with Polian's endorsement. Also, Dilfer explained the extenuating circusmtance well for Jones, in terms of his senior season "complacency" as the caricature Jon Gruden called it. This pick helps on another front too: Ben probably has become complacent too, knowing he had two china dolls behind him. This might spark Ben to rekindle some of that magic that has seemed to disappear these last few years.

steelz09
04-27-2013, 02:19 PM
I like the pick. The Steelers needed a legit younger backup for grooming. Ben will miss game(s) as will Troy. It's just the way it is.

Landry Jones has a ton of college experience, and good attributes to transition to the pro game. He won't be rushed and he'll get an opportunity to learn from Ben.

Shawn
04-27-2013, 02:22 PM
i'm stoked!! that was my guy all along.

this is the only QB in this draft I wanted the Steelers to take. He was in my first mock.

SteelBucks
04-27-2013, 02:27 PM
I. Love. This. Pick.

squidkid
04-27-2013, 02:55 PM
all the holes this team has and they basically trade away next years 3rd to get a third string qb that will more than likely be nothing more than a clipbboard holder for the next 6 years

ikestops85
04-27-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm liking today much better than I liked yesterday

Eddie Spaghetti
04-27-2013, 03:06 PM
all the holes this team has and they basically trade away next years 3rd to get a third string qb that will more than likely be nothing more than a clipbboard holder for the next 6 years

agree.

brilliant!!!

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2013, 03:24 PM

the Steelers traded away next year's #3 pick to select SS Shamarko Thomas, not QB Landry Jones.

Dee Dub
04-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Landry Jones completed 66.1% of his passes last year, without an elite WR core. Jones has great size, a strong arm with good touch, a quick release, he doesn't throw many picks, he isn't sacked that often and was a 4 year starter. What is not to like?

Prediction: either Ben Roethlisberger or Landry Jones is going to net a great return in a trade with in the next couple of years. Like a Hershel Walker trade.

D Rock
04-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Landry Jones completed 66.1% of his passes last year, without an elite WR core. Jones has great size, a strong arm with good touch, a quick release, he doesn't throw many picks, he isn't sacked that often and was a 4 year starter. What is not to like?

Prediction: either Ben Roethlisberger or Landry Jones is going to net a great return in a trade with in the next couple of years. Like a Hershel Walker trade.

If it gets to that point where Jones is good enough that Ben can go, I sure as heck hope they do it.

Dee Dub
04-27-2013, 04:09 PM
If it gets to that point where Jones is good enough that Ben can go, I sure as heck hope they do it.

And I am sure like me, you love Ben and this isn't a knock or an attack on him. It's about having the foresight to look down the round and do what is best for the organization. Hey maybe it's Landry Jones that the Steelers can trade to get something great back in return. Who knows?

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Steelers draft Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones in fourth round

By Neal Coolong on Apr 27 2013

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/12286035/gyi0061586225.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Oklahoma's all-time passing leader is the Steelers newest quarterback.

Turns out, the Steelers were, in fact, looking to bring in a young passer this season.

After trading up with Miami in the fourth round to select safety Shamarko Thomas, the Steelers selected Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones with the 115th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Jones, a prototypical built quarterback, shows good accuracy and touch on his passes. Once considered a higher level prospect, he broke several Oklahoma passing records in his time there.

One knock on him is a longer wind-up coupled with a less-than-ideal release point. His slower delivery could be seen as a problem, but considering the Steelers' need to bring in a capable back-up who will be with the team in the future, Jones at this spot makes a lot of sense.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/27/4274972/steelers-draft-quarterback-landry-jones/in/4031321

squidkid
04-27-2013, 05:35 PM
the Steelers traded away next year's #3 pick to select SS Shamarko Thomas, not QB Landry Jones.

i know who they drafted with the actual traded pick. point is, they never would have passed on thomas at that point to draft landry if they only had 1 pick in the 4th. even tomlin isnt that stupid

costanza2k1
04-27-2013, 06:41 PM
http://youtu.be/DlA3jQmgp2M

DukieBoy
04-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Bill Polian had him as the best QB in this draft. And he really didn't have much of a supporting cast this past year. I like the pick. He is the next great QB for the Steelers....of course after Ben is done. :)

We drafted one of his supporting cast today.

DBR96A
04-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Im just happy to finally draft a white guy at QB. :D
Know how I know you're a yinzer?

D Rock
04-27-2013, 06:57 PM
And I am sure like me, you love Ben and this isn't a knock or an attack on him. It's about having the foresight to look down the round and do what is best for the organization. Hey maybe it's Landry Jones that the Steelers can trade to get something great back in return. Who knows?

I would see no reason to trade Jones if he is good enough to be traded. With Ben's age and injury history, you trade him or let him walk in FA and take a 3rd round comp pick.

Giving Ben another contract after this one ends IMO will put the team in a terrible salary cap position seeing as how the Joe Flacco's of the league are now pulling down 20+ million a year. That is why as much as I like Ben as this team's QB and realize how good he is, it was so important to get a new QB in who could some day lead this team.

feltdizz
04-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Know how I know you're a yinzer?
It's ok... I'm black

Rara
04-27-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm pretty stoked that the Steelers drafted Landry Jones! Didn't think he would have been there for us, but we got him! However, Tyler Bray is still available...possibly UDFA signing and place on practice squad?

Also...will Jarvis Jones have J.Jones on his jersey and Landry having L.Jones on his jersey...or will it not matter since one is on offense and the other on defense?

Rara
04-27-2013, 07:43 PM
http://youtu.be/DlA3jQmgp2M

Kid seems really smart! Hope he pans out to be Roethlisberger's replacement in a few years!

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2013, 03:45 AM
Bill Polian says Landry Jones is the best QB in the draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 19, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/pg2_g_polian_300-e1341050965811.jpg?w=242

In the 1998 NFL draft, Colts General Manager Bill Polian had a decision to make: Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf? He chose right, and as a result his job in Indianapolis was safe as long Manning was there.

Now Polian is playing a different role, analyzing the draft for ESPN, and he was asked to pick the best quarterback in this year’s draft. Polian’s surprising answer? Oklahoma’s Landry Jones.

Polian said he attended the 2011 Oklahoma-Texas A&M game and watched Jones complete 18/38 passes for 255 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions, and Polian thought Jones compared favorably to Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who was last year’s No. 8 overall pick and is now the Dolphins’ starter.

“He was a good one, and when he had a good supporting cast around him, he was great,” Polian said of Jones. “I was at the game in Norman where he beat Tannehill head-to-head, in a very, very fierce wind. So this guy has been a winner, he’s got stature, he’s got arm strength — he can make all the throws. He sees the field quite well, and he’s a natural leader.”

Polian acknowledged that there are concerns about Jones, including his lack of mobility, and he said he doesn’t see a Peyton Manning in this year’s draft. But he thinks if there’s a quarterback who’s going to make an instant impact for an NFL team in 2013, it’s Jones.

“I don’t think anybody in this group is going to be able to step in right away and lead the team, but if you ask me, who’s the guy who’s most ready, and who’s the guy who’s had the most winning experience, it would be Landry Jones,” Polian said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/19/bill-polian-says-landry-jones-is-the-best-qb-in-the-draft/

calmkiller
04-28-2013, 08:55 AM
This pick will pay off for us. I like it.

feltdizz
04-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Jones put this draft into the B+, A- range.... Probably the steal of the draft. This is going to push Ben and it will probably make him think twice about taking unnecessary hits. You don't want to miss games when there is a QB of the future on the sidelines.

I know pressure is a problem but his ball placement is pretty good and I think the no huddle will be crazy with Jones in shotgun.

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Interest peaks with Steelers' pick of Oklahoma QB

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/117/231/jones_420.jpg

Forget the first three rounds of the draft, it took until the third day for things to really get interesting for the Steelers.

A linebacker, a halfback and a wide receiver fail in comparison to what happened Saturday in the fourth round. First, the Steelers traded away a future draft pick for the first time in 40 years, and then they drafted a quarterback!

Landry Jones of Oklahoma not only shattered Big 12 Conference and Oklahoma passing records, he sees himself as a starting NFL quarterback some day, and he's not at all unhappy that the team that drafted him has Ben Roethlisberger.

"Ever since you're a young kid, you do see yourself as a starter," said Jones, who started 50 games at quarterback for the Sooners. "You see yourself winning Super Bowls. You see yourself doing all these different things in the NFL, so I'm just excited about being there and having an opportunity."

Since Roethlisberger just turned 31 recently, there's not much chance Jones will be doing all of those things as a starting quarterback with the Steelers anytime soon. Yet after having veteran backups Charlie Batch (since 2002) and Byron Leftwich (2008, 2010-11), the Steelers felt they needed a fresh, younger face on the roster. But as high as the fourth round?

"We have had great experience in that room with Charlie and Byron," said Randy Fichtner, who coaches the quarterbacks. "I just think it was time to start grooming a new player, freshen up the room if you will."

He is the first quarterback the Steelers drafted since they chose Dennis Dixon in the fifth round in 2008. Besides Roethlisberger, a first-round pick in 2004, Jones became their highest-drafted quarterback since Kordell Stewart came to them in the second round in 1995.

Roethlisberger said Saturday he doesn't know Jones personally "but I know he's a great kid and a hard worker and a good player."

The Steelers did draft some other players Saturday. They filled another need when they drafted Syracuse safety Shamarko Thomas in the fourth round ahead of Jones. They traded with AFC North Division rival Cleveland for that pick, No. 111 overall, by sending the Browns their third-round pick in 2014. It's the first time since 1973 they traded away a future pick (their No. 3 in 1974 for Tom Keating). They previously traded a draft pick to the Browns in 1967 for tackle John Brown (for 1968 picks in Rounds 3 and 10). But then Jimmy Haslam was a partner in Steelers ownership until he bought the Browns in the fall.

The Steelers drafted Illinois cornerback Terry Hawthorne in the fifth round, and then took Landry's Oklahoma teammate, wide receiver Justin Brown, with their first pick in the sixth round. Brown transferred from Penn State after the school was hit with NCAA sanctions after the 2011 season.

They hit another need with their second pick in the sixth round, drafting inside linebacker Vince Williams of Florida State. They wound up their nine-man draft class by selecting defensive end Nick Williams of Samford in the seventh round.

But the buzz was all about the quarterback, and what he might bring to the Steelers. They already signed a new veteran backup, Pittsburgh native Bruce Gradkowski, a free agent from the Cincinnati Bengals. That, combined with the pick of Jones, spelled the end of Batch and Leftwich.

Interestingly, Jones' wife Whitney Hand was a teammate on the Oklahoma University basketball team with Roethlisberger's sister, Carlee, who was in their wedding.

"He has some of the biggest production I've seen out of any of the QBs in several years," Fichtner said.

Jones, a pocket-passer, completed 63.6 percent of his passes for 16,646 yards and 123 touchdowns in his four seasons as Oklahoma's starter in a high-octane, no-huddle offense.

"I am going to go in there and compete as hard as I can and try to win a job," Landry said. "This is going to be a great opportunity for me whether I play quick or whether I have to sit and wait for a couple years.

"Getting to stand behind Roethlisberger is going to be a huge opportunity for me. He is a guy who has been established in this league for a long time and I get to learn from one of the best quarterbacks to play the game. I'm just really excited to get to work with him and really excited about this opportunity."

He will have to get used to standing behind Roethlisberger, barring injury. Having Jones on the team, though, will present a different role for Roethlisberger, who goes from youngest quarterback on the roster last year to oldest. He often noted how he leaned on observations from Batch and Leftwich during games and how they were big helps during the week as they prepared the game plan.

"It may be time for Ben to give that experience to somebody else and to help in the room," Fichtner said. "I think this gives Ben an opportunity to share his experiences."

The Steelers traded their third-round pick in 2014 to grab 5-foot-9 Thomas because they feared some other team would take him before their turn at No. 115. They had a dire need for a safety and had Thomas ranked highly.

"If he had two more inches he would have been in the first round in my opinion," said secondary coach Carnell Lake, who joined the Steelers as a safety drafted in the second round in 1989. "That's how highly I think of this young man. He has size, he has speed, and he has strength."

He also has a history of concussions.

"They haven't been an issue with the medical staff," Lake said.

Brown, who is 6-3, said he transferred from Penn State to have the opportunity to catch passes from Landry at Oklahoma. He noted that he was on no one's prospect list in 2011 at Penn State. He started 13 games for the Sooners, where he caught 73 passes (for 879 yards) in 2012 after getting 35 in 2011 at Penn State.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/interest-peaks-with-steelers-pick-of-oklahoma-qb-685321/

NorthCoast
04-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Interesting. A QB that might excel at pre-snap defensive reads. I wonder how that will look in a Steelers uniform?

Djfan
04-28-2013, 11:04 PM
I really like this pick. Some other boards are really slamming it, but it looks like a good pick up to me.

DukieBoy
04-28-2013, 11:49 PM
Looks like a real good pick to me, too.

I am concerned about Ben's longevity. Some say he has maybe 6 good years left, and I hope that is true. But the injuries to date, the accumulation of wear and tear, the aging which will affect his physical resilience, the things he's said about his rotator cuff, and his style of play ... all these factors make me think 4, 5, 6 years are optimistic.

Landry has alot of good stuff to be at least an above-average NFL QB. He will be better than what they have in Cinci or Cleveland. And I think he will see some playing time out of necessity this coming season.

DBR96A
04-29-2013, 12:28 AM
Interesting. A QB that might excel at pre-snap defensive reads. I wonder how that will look in a Steelers uniform?
If we're lucky, he'll have only 1.99% of his passes intercepted over a period of three seasons.

Wait a minute... :?

Oviedo
04-29-2013, 07:43 AM
Jones is going to prove to be the steal of this draft. He doesn't have to get rushed into a starting role and he has time to grow within the system. Remeber, just two years ago he was thought to be a Top 5 pick in the draft. I think the coaches at Oklahoma didn't do him any favors. They seemed to force the ball down the field alot. I think he could thrive in Haley's system.

grotonsteel
04-29-2013, 08:43 AM
This is a waste of a draft pick...A perinniel backup in 4th Rd..Well atleast they are getting better. They went from drafting backups in 2nd Rd to 4th Rd...

Wrong Draft to pick a QB IMO..they could have drafted a QB in early rounds in 2-3 years from now to be eventual successor for Ben...Landry Jones would be lucky to be a backup QB in NFL....

feltdizz
04-29-2013, 08:48 AM
This is a waste of a draft pick...A perinniel backup in 4th Rd..Well atleast they are getting better. They went from drafting backups in 2nd Rd to 4th Rd...

Wrong Draft to pick a QB IMO..they could have drafted a QB in early rounds in 2-3 years from now to be eventual successor for Ben...Landry Jones would be lucky to be a backup QB in NFL....

definitely not a wasted pick... we go through 2 to 3 QB's a year.

steelman7
04-29-2013, 08:49 AM
What a waste of a draft pick...if you were gonna waste a draft pick on this guy to replace Ben...cmon they could have gotten Marcus Lattimore if they wanted to ...and he could have sat back behind dweyer and Leveon till he was ready...
Then if Lattimore didnt pan out...atleast we still have Leveon or vice vesa

steelman7
04-29-2013, 08:54 AM
This dude is rite....Roethlisberger still has about atleast 2 years left in him..they should have waited on the quarteback
Till next year...im a Steeler fan but im also a honest Steeler fan i dnt think that we will
Do to much damage this year...becuase the Afc north has gotten alot tougher...why not wait until Next season when we might have a higher pick for quarterback...we could have went with another free agent like Gradcowski

grotonsteel
04-29-2013, 08:58 AM
This dude is rite....Roethlisberger still has about atleast 2 years left in him..they should have waited on the quarteback
Till next year...im a Steeler fan but im also a honest Steeler fan i dnt think that we will
Do to much damage this year...becuase the Afc north has gotten alot tougher...why not wait until Next season when we might have a higher pick for quarterback...we could have went with another free agent like Gradcowski

+1

How many 4th Rd QB has turned out to be franchise QB??? You can't just keep getting lucky like Pats did with Tom Brady..

Probability of getting a good QB in early rounds is pretty high and this year QB class was really bad.

Now since Landry Jones is a Steelers player i will be cheering for him but i don't have much expectation from that pick.

grotonsteel
04-29-2013, 09:01 AM
definitely not a wasted pick... we go through 2 to 3 QB's a year.

Fair enough but i am comfortable with Grad and Batch as Steelers backup QB for this season.

Do Steelers ned to draft a young QB..absolutely but they drafted one in a draft which had a weak QB class. They could have drafted a QB in early Rd in next year draft.

And i don't think Landry Jones is better than Charlie Batch or Grad. Hopefully he becomes next Steelers franchise QB but i don't have much expectation from this pick.

papillon
04-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Fair enough but i am comfortable with Grad and Batch as Steelers backup QB for this season.

Do Steelers ned to draft a young QB..absolutely but they drafted one in a draft which had a weak QB class. They could have drafted a QB in early Rd in next year draft.

And i don't think Landry Jones is better than Charlie Batch or Grad. Hopefully he becomes next Steelers franchise QB but i don't have much expectation from this pick.

At this point in Batch's career it would be difficult for Jones not to be better than him and Gradkowski while probably better because of experience won't be better for long, IMO. The only scenario I see that turns this into a wasted pick id if Jones simply can't handle the rigors and speed of the NFL; otherwise, the options are: he develops into a replacement for Ben, he develops into a quarterback that quarterback strapped teams want (there are always at least 10 teams in this situation) or he remains a serviceable backup for many years.

The only downside is if he completely fails in the NFL which is always a possibility. However, a lot of knowledgeable NFL football evaluators believe he has the size, skills and acumen to play at this level, including John Gruden who was extremely impressed with his knowledge of the game and the way he handled the Oklahoma no huddle offense.

Pappy

feltdizz
04-29-2013, 10:42 AM

nah... Jones will be better than both. I don't have great expectations from his THIS year but I expect great things form him next year when Gradowski is let go and Ben goes down. The kid can ball and he is perfect for Haley's offense.

We are talking about a QB who can read D's, has a decent arm and can make all the throws.

You guys make it sound like we picked him up in the 2nd or 1st round...

Shawn
04-29-2013, 10:52 AM

Batch is like 100. I like the guys heart but come on. Putting Metamucil in the Gatorade isn't going to be the best thing for team morale. Getting a young guy in there to develop is smart. Throw the 4th round stats out the window. Landry has ALL the tools to be a franchise QB. He is smart, accurate, tall, and has a nice arm. There is no reason he shouldn't be a decent to superb QB in the NFL. If he isn't franchise, he could be more than a serviceable back up for many years. It's time to let Batch coach or whatever...but he doesn't need to QB.

feltdizz
04-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Batch is like 100. I like the guys heart but come on. Putting Metamucil in the Gatorade isn't going to be the best thing for team morale. Getting a young guy in there to develop is smart. Throw the 4th round stats out the window. Landry has ALL the tools to be a franchise QB. He is smart, accurate, tall, and has a nice arm. There is no reason he shouldn't be a decent to superb QB in the NFL. If he isn't franchise, he could be more than a serviceable back up for many years. It's time to let Batch coach or whatever...but he doesn't need to QB.

I love Batch... leave him ALONE!!! lol...

but I agree with Jones... Not sure why being drafted in the 4th means he can't be a franchise QB... this league is set up for passing QB's to succeed and we are a seeing young guys come in on day one and look decent. I'm sure he will look just as good, if not better, with a few years under his belt.

Oviedo
04-29-2013, 11:42 AM

Ben has about four to five years left if he stays healthy. We are going to reach a Peyton Manning or Brett Favre decision with Ben after 2015. IMO Ben not retiring as a Steeler would be a shame.

Oviedo
04-29-2013, 11:43 AM
I love Batch... leave him ALONE!!! lol...

but I agree with Jones... Not sure why being drafted in the 4th means he can't be a franchise QB... this league is set up for passing QB's to succeed and we are a seeing young guys come in on day one and look decent. I'm sure he will look just as good, if not better, with a few years under his belt.

New England has a "franchise QB" who was draft in the 6th Round. Worked out OK for them.

I think we got the steal of this draft at the QB position. In the right system Jones can be a star. I think Haley's system is that system.

BigRob
04-29-2013, 12:27 PM
You guys need to learn the lesson of Steve Mcnair. Big Ben isn't going to last as long as a Payton Manning or a Tom Brady. His career arc is going to look a lot like Steve Mcnair's.

Mcnair took a beating his whole career very similar to Big Ben. Mcnair went to the Ravens and had one more good year at 33 years of age. In 2007 at just 34 years of age he was shot. He was done.

We'll get 3 more years out of Big Ben. The injuries will continue to pile up and he will slow down more and more.

This is a pick for a back-up QB with the potential to start in the future for Big Ben when he misses games.

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2013, 01:41 PM
I found this recent quote by Charlie Batch to be quite interesting:

"Big picture, maybe they're thinking, 'Can we develop Landry Jones to be the starter? Maybe two years from now, he could be our guy for the next 10 years.' We don't know. But with the contracts for quarterbacks these days, he'd certainly be a heck of a lot cheaper than Ben at age 34 or 35 or 36."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...uccess-685435/

Oviedo
04-29-2013, 01:45 PM

"Big picture, maybe they're thinking, 'Can we develop Landry Jones to be the starter? Maybe two years from now, he could be our guy for the next 10 years.' We don't know. But with the contracts for quarterbacks these days, he'd certainly be a heck of a lot cheaper than Ben at age 34 or 35 or 36."

It's just logical.

feltdizz
04-29-2013, 02:48 PM

Why is Charlie hatin? LOL... seriously, this makes sense. Does anyone really think we will give Ben another 100 mill? I don't. We are pretty frugal when it comes to paying old vets...

This is probably it for Ben... we will move him or do like we always do with our best players... let them freaking walk out the door without getting anything in return.

Oviedo
04-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Whether they ever let Ben "just walk" is totally dependent on how close we are to a Super Bowl two years from now. If we are a contender Ben will get resigned. No way they let the key to #7 leave if we have a chance. If our window has closed he will be allowed to walk.

Shawn
04-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Whether they ever let Ben "just walk" is totally dependent on how close we are to a Super Bowl two years from now. If we are a contender Ben will get resigned. No way they let the key to #7 leave if we have a chance. If our window has closed he will be allowed to walk.

I partially agree but think it depends more on the development of Landry. If he is ready, they will cut Ben contender or no.

flippy
04-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Thinking Ben's gone in 2-3 years tells me everyone's drunk on the draft. That's a silly thought unless he gets hurt and can't play.

Gotta remember, the most popular guy in Pittsburgh is always the backup QB. No matter what.

Oviedo
04-29-2013, 04:31 PM
I partially agree but think it depends more on the development of Landry. If he is ready, they will cut Ben contender or no.

We can disagree. No way they cut a QB who has been to three Super Bowls winning two if we are a legit contender. They probably also remember how badly the Bradshaw ending happened and wouldn't want to repeat that for the best QB in franchise history.

BigRob
04-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Thinking Ben's gone in 2-3 years tells me everyone's drunk on the draft. That's a silly thought unless he gets hurt and can't play.

Gotta remember, the most popular guy in Pittsburgh is always the backup QB. No matter what.

Go look at Steve Mcnair's career arc. Ben has taken a lot of huge shots. His style of play is not conducive to playing 6 more years. 3-4 tops.

flippy
04-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Go look at Steve Mcnair's career arc. Ben has taken a lot of huge shots. His style of play is not conducive to playing 6 more years. 3-4 tops.

It's apples to oranges because Ben's got a cannon for an arm and can make any throw flat footed. I think his arm + Haley's offense will keep him alive much longer.

BigRob
04-29-2013, 04:52 PM
It's apples to oranges because Ben's got a cannon for an arm and can make any throw flat footed. I think his arm + Haley's offense will keep him alive much longer.

Did you watch Steve "Air" Mcnair? He had every bit the cannon Ben does. They are very similar players. They both ran to throw instead of running for yardage.

Mcnair had the same tendancy to hold the ball for the big play. Ben is not abandoning that, he' incapable of adjusting to it.

grotonsteel
04-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Steelers will resign Ben next year...else they will trade him. Steelers will allow Ben to have one last big contract. Either Steelers pay him or its some other team.

And i do believe Ben will have longer career than Steve McNair. Rules have change drastically. I think Ben can easily play till 38-39 yrs old unless he has some kinda career ending injury.

grotonsteel
04-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Did you watch Steve "Air" Mcnair? He had every bit the cannon Ben does. They are very similar players. They both ran to throw instead of running for yardage.

Mcnair had the same tendancy to hold the ball for the big play. Ben is not abandoning that, he' incapable of adjusting to it.

Ben is a better pocket passer than given credit for. He does not start running as soon as ball is snapped.

Better O-line can fix lots of things including running game.

feltdizz
04-29-2013, 09:39 PM

This is what I think.. if Romo can get 55 mill guaranteed what do you think Ben will command? Not sure we are williing to pay that type of money unless Ben finds a fountain of youth. If Favre, Montana and Manning can change teams... anything is possible.

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2013, 01:57 PM
I think it's interesting that, one week prior to the NFL draft, Landry Jones' wife got drafted into the WNBA with a higher pick than Landry did (she was a 3rd round pick, 32nd overall while he was a 4th round pick, 115th overall). It's also interesting that Landry's wife was a teammate of Ben's sister on the Sooner basketball team.

feltdizz
05-02-2013, 04:10 PM
I think it's interesting that, one week prior to the NFL draft, Landry Jones' wife got drafted into the WNBA with a higher pick than Landry did (she was a 3rd round pick, 32nd overall while he was a 4th round pick, 115th overall). It's also interesting that Landry's wife was a teammate of Ben's sister on the Sooner basketball team.

Second part is interesting... I wonder if Ben and Landry have met before?

First part, not so much... if the 32 player is drafted in the 3rd round it tells you how shallow the draft is. Landry probably made more at Oklahoma than his wife will make in the WNBA. lol...

fezziwig
05-02-2013, 09:20 PM
The more I hear about this kid, the more I like. I am alawys claiming that you need a number one draft pick ( high number one pick ) to give you the edge of being a champion. I'll allow this kid his chance under Big Ben and company. Eventually the team will learn if he's the next go to guy or make another selection. In any event, we need a young kid to groom and be a quality back up if nothing more becomes form him.

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2013, 03:18 AM
Steelers felt QB situation was getting old before drafting Landry Jones

By SteelCityRoller on May 3 2013

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/12608849/156680506.0_standard_500.0.jpg

For the past few seasons, the Steelers relied on long-time veterans to backup their franchise quarterback. According to Kevin Colbert, it was time to change their minds.

Even the Pittsburgh Steelers thought their quarterback situation was getting a bit stale.

Granted, Charlie Batch has already exceeded the typical shelf-life of a pro passer, and Byron Leftwich creeps ever closer to the expiration date; but the teams feelings have nothing to do with either man's character, contributions to the team or chronological age.

In a conversation with TribLive.com, Kevin Colbert opened up on several topics. One of the most interesting answers he gave came at the topic of drafting Landry Jones from Oklahoma in the fourth round of the NFL draft.

"Not to take anything away from Charlie or Byron, because they certainly bailed us out during their tenures here, but we wanted to be able to stabilize that backup position with less of a year-to-year type proposition."

If the age of either Batch or Leftwich have anything to do with their unemployment, it is how it affects the long-view. They became victims of more forward thinking, and less reminiscing.

No one will ever forget Batch's tears of joy on the tender shoulder of Ben Roehtlisberger after defeating the Baltimore Ravens in a - at the time - must-win game; nor should the dismiss Leftwich's efforts against the same Ravens team two weeks earlier, when the Steelers came up short in a game which Leftwich played through two broken ribs. Unfortunately, both men's careers were as fragile as their aging bodies appeared to be in 2012.

When dealing with players of advanced age, teams will shy away from long term deals because of the fear of dead money should the player retire and the uncertainty toward the individual's plan. For the past few seasons, the Steelers have strung along with Batch and Leftwich on usually one-year deals. Both were qualified veterans alleviating pressure off the front office to spend important draft picks on players who will hopefully never see the field.

In 2012, despite having two overly qualified men in reserve, the team deflated when Roethlisberger suffered his unique rib/shoulder injury. Leftwich barely lasted his only start of the season, and Batch barely broke even across his two attempts.

With Roethlisberger only getting older, the team decided it needed more durable understudies when, not if, their starter gets injured again and is forced to miss time. Instead of retreading either of their old faithfuls, the Steelers went in a new direction. They signed veteran Bruce Gradkowski, who is younger than either Batch or Leftwich and has proven to be more durable over his career, and John Parker Wilson during free-agency; and then grabbed Jones in the draft.

Jones will receive a four-year contract per the terms of the current CBA. Gradkowski was signed to a three-year deal. The Steelers wanted stability at the backup quarterback position, and now they've got it for at least the next three.

As Colbert acknowledged, the team wants Roethlisberger to retire in Pittsburgh. He stands a good chance of receiving a three-year extension following the upcoming season, pending a plethora of variables. However, many expected such an extension this off-season, but no result. He could play another ten years with Pittsburgh, or he could be forced out next season by injury. Jones may not have been drafted to replace Roethlisberger, but at least he will have time to develop in case of emergency.

While any Steelers fan would wish nothing but the best for those who represent the Black and Gold, if Jones never plays a single snap in Pittsburgh because a healthy Roethlisberger was too busy accumulating Lombardi trophies, I'm pretty sure they'd be ok with it.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/3/4294912/steelers-GM-Colbert-comments-QB-situations-Landry-Jones

SteelSpain
05-04-2013, 04:03 AM
The more I hear about this kid, the more I like. I am alawys claiming that you need a number one draft pick ( high number one pick ) to give you the edge of being a champion. I'll allow this kid his chance under Big Ben and company. Eventually the team will learn if he's the next go to guy or make another selection. In any event, we need a young kid to groom and be a quality back up if nothing more becomes form him.

I agree, If Landry Jones isn´t your starting QB in the future, maybe he´s the back up for this player you draft within a couple of years.

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Mike Tomlin on Steelers QB Landry Jones: “He is a sharp guy to put in the room.” What???

May 4th, 2013
by jimconroy

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2011/11/Mike-Tomlin-300x200.jpg

A week before the NFL draft I wrote an article on why the Steelers needed to draft LB John Simon out of Ohio State. I presented many reasons why he was the one player I felt the Steelers not should, but needed to draft after round 1. Before rounds 4-7 last Saturday I wrote about the absolute failure the Steelers have had for over 20 years drafting quarterbacks past round 3. On Wednesday Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette went one step further and covered the last 25 years of the entire NFL. Only 7 of 125 quarterbacks drafted in 25 years after round 3 have had moderate success as starter for more than one year. Two turned out to be true success stories: Tom Brady in 2000 and Matt Hasselbeck in 1998.

After selecting Shamarko Thomas with their first pick in round 4 (#111) I was hoping the Steelers would take Simon with their second pick (#115) of the 4th round. The Steelers did have Simon in for a visit, they typically draft OSU players and he was now a value pick since he had a third round grade. I was starting to get excited with the thought of Jarvis Jones, Shamarko Thomas and Simon who could have been that linebacker that could have played either inside or outside. But then the Steelers took Oklahoma QB Landry Jones and worlds were about to collide.

Why pass up on not only Simon but there were many other outstanding players who were available that early in the 4th round who can possibly start in a year or two and contribute on special teams immediately? I have read varying opinions on the Landry Jones pick from love it to hate it but all of the Steelers fans that I have spoken with have expressed anger or dismay at the selection. If the Steelers were so dead set on drafting a “developmental” quarterback why didn’t they take Tyler Bray out of Tennessee later? Is there really that much of a gap between Bray and Jones? The knocks on Bray who came out a year early are his immaturity and decision making. Landry Jones knock is his inability to handle pressure or chaos in the pocket. In fact at Oklahoma last year Jones was removed from the game whenever Oklahoma entered the red zone. Oklahoma did so because they felt Jones replacement gave them a better opportunity to score. Does this sound like a quarterback who should have been taken in the 4th round?

Most of the analysts on ESPN and NFL Network did not like the Landry pick and none had much good to say about Landry Jones last 2 years at Oklahoma stating to “throw away” his senior year tape. The analysts said Jones looked like a first round prospect after his sophomore year but got progressively worse because he couldn’t handle pressure or chaos in the pocket. Trent Dilfer went on a tirade trashing Oklahoma and the downward slide of Landry Jones. Only ESPN analysts Bill Polian former Colts GM and Todd McShay liked the Steelers pick of Jones.

It has always been said that because the Steelers have Roethlisberger they will always be in contention and that has proven to be true. What is bothersome about these reports on Jones is that he has not been capable of raising Oklahoma’s level of play. As the team declined so did he or was it the other way around? What Jones’ play has showed is that he is no better than the team surrounding him. Everyone who feels negatively about this pick might be wrong about Jones but the problem is we may never find out. That is what is so bothersome. With so many needs to fill coming off of an 8-8 season why take a player who Steelers GM Kevin Colbert acknowledged in post draft interview, may never see the field?

Media Frenzy

Adding to the negativity of the Jones pick is the speculation that will surely follow that he is Roethlisberger’s successor or replacement. Charlie Batch has already come out and said it and the media will continue to feed on it until one of them is no longer a Steeler. After next season the Steelers will need to extend Roethlisberger’s contract for salary cap relief as his cap hit is nearly 20 million. Roethlisberger probably feels he has 6 to 7 years left. Would he want to hear the noise about his replacement starting now? Roethlisberger is a competitor. Does Ben seem the type to help groom his replacement? Is it all possible this pick angered Roethlisberger? Is it possible the speculation from this point forward might make him dig in as James Harrison did when it comes time to renegotiate after next season as now Roethlisberger is looking for security? Just like Harrison, Ben has an ego too. How many people in any career want to have their replacement on their heels when they have more than a few years left? This pick will have a ripple effect that goes in many directions. Worse it could blow up for so many different reasons.

Worlds Collide

What was so nightmarish for me about this pick came to a head during a draft interview with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on the NFL Network. When asked about the Jones pick the quote machine answered: “He is a sharp guy to put it the room”. Just as that quote was leaving Tomlin’s mouth the ticker on the bottom of the television read: “Ravens Selection #129 John Simon Ohio State University.” As always no coach in the NFL delivers a quote better than Tomlin but did anyone realize the context of that quote? Tomlin actually said they drafted Landry Jones to add to the (quarterback) room.

After the Ravens selected Simon Mayock said: “My favorite player in the draft.” Mayock called Simon a “thug” but said it was a “good term” which means he is a player you need to find a place for on your football team. Charles Davis half jokingly said that Simon probably doesn’t even know he was drafted by the Ravens because he is in the weight room. Todd McShay said Simon should have been drafted 30 picks before this and this is why the Ravens year in and year out have great drafts. Mel Kiper loved the Simon pick. Chris Mortenson said that Mike Vrable former Steelers and Patriots linebacker and current Ohio State linebackers coach was adamant about Simon telling every NFL team that Simon is a player they need on their team.

What Tomlin said was no mistake because this week Steelers quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner repeated the Tomlin quote on the drafting of Landry Jones almost verbatim, “Landry Jones is a sharp guy for the quarterback room”. What? Someone please ask Tomlin or Fichtner why they would use the 4th pick on a player for the room and not the field. Colbert acknowledged he may never play so what was the purpose of taking a quarterback at that time in the draft? Simon to the Ravens. The Ravens! When the two worlds collided my head exploded.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/05/04/mike-tomlin-on-steelers-qb-landry-jones-he-is-a-sharp-guy-to-put-in-the-room-what/

squidkid
05-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Mike Tomlin on Steelers QB Landry Jones: “He is a sharp guy to put in the room.” What???

May 4th, 2013
by jimconroy

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2011/11/Mike-Tomlin-300x200.jpg

A week before the NFL draft I wrote an article on why the Steelers needed to draft LB John Simon out of Ohio State. I presented many reasons why he was the one player I felt the Steelers not should, but needed to draft after round 1. Before rounds 4-7 last Saturday I wrote about the absolute failure the Steelers have had for over 20 years drafting quarterbacks past round 3. On Wednesday Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette went one step further and covered the last 25 years of the entire NFL. Only 7 of 125 quarterbacks drafted in 25 years after round 3 have had moderate success as starter for more than one year. Two turned out to be true success stories: Tom Brady in 2000 and Matt Hasselbeck in 1998.

After selecting Shamarko Thomas with their first pick in round 4 (#111) I was hoping the Steelers would take Simon with their second pick (#115) of the 4th round. The Steelers did have Simon in for a visit, they typically draft OSU players and he was now a value pick since he had a third round grade. I was starting to get excited with the thought of Jarvis Jones, Shamarko Thomas and Simon who could have been that linebacker that could have played either inside or outside. But then the Steelers took Oklahoma QB Landry Jones and worlds were about to collide.

Why pass up on not only Simon but there were many other outstanding players who were available that early in the 4th round who can possibly start in a year or two and contribute on special teams immediately? I have read varying opinions on the Landry Jones pick from love it to hate it but all of the Steelers fans that I have spoken with have expressed anger or dismay at the selection. If the Steelers were so dead set on drafting a “developmental” quarterback why didn’t they take Tyler Bray out of Tennessee later? Is there really that much of a gap between Bray and Jones? The knocks on Bray who came out a year early are his immaturity and decision making. Landry Jones knock is his inability to handle pressure or chaos in the pocket. In fact at Oklahoma last year Jones was removed from the game whenever Oklahoma entered the red zone. Oklahoma did so because they felt Jones replacement gave them a better opportunity to score. Does this sound like a quarterback who should have been taken in the 4th round?

Most of the analysts on ESPN and NFL Network did not like the Landry pick and none had much good to say about Landry Jones last 2 years at Oklahoma stating to “throw away” his senior year tape. The analysts said Jones looked like a first round prospect after his sophomore year but got progressively worse because he couldn’t handle pressure or chaos in the pocket. Trent Dilfer went on a tirade trashing Oklahoma and the downward slide of Landry Jones. Only ESPN analysts Bill Polian former Colts GM and Todd McShay liked the Steelers pick of Jones.

It has always been said that because the Steelers have Roethlisberger they will always be in contention and that has proven to be true. What is bothersome about these reports on Jones is that he has not been capable of raising Oklahoma’s level of play. As the team declined so did he or was it the other way around? What Jones’ play has showed is that he is no better than the team surrounding him. Everyone who feels negatively about this pick might be wrong about Jones but the problem is we may never find out. That is what is so bothersome. With so many needs to fill coming off of an 8-8 season why take a player who Steelers GM Kevin Colbert acknowledged in post draft interview, may never see the field?

Media Frenzy

Adding to the negativity of the Jones pick is the speculation that will surely follow that he is Roethlisberger’s successor or replacement. Charlie Batch has already come out and said it and the media will continue to feed on it until one of them is no longer a Steeler. After next season the Steelers will need to extend Roethlisberger’s contract for salary cap relief as his cap hit is nearly 20 million. Roethlisberger probably feels he has 6 to 7 years left. Would he want to hear the noise about his replacement starting now? Roethlisberger is a competitor. Does Ben seem the type to help groom his replacement? Is it all possible this pick angered Roethlisberger? Is it possible the speculation from this point forward might make him dig in as James Harrison did when it comes time to renegotiate after next season as now Roethlisberger is looking for security? Just like Harrison, Ben has an ego too. How many people in any career want to have their replacement on their heels when they have more than a few years left? This pick will have a ripple effect that goes in many directions. Worse it could blow up for so many different reasons.

Worlds Collide

What was so nightmarish for me about this pick came to a head during a draft interview with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on the NFL Network. When asked about the Jones pick the quote machine answered: “He is a sharp guy to put it the room”. Just as that quote was leaving Tomlin’s mouth the ticker on the bottom of the television read: “Ravens Selection #129 John Simon Ohio State University.” As always no coach in the NFL delivers a quote better than Tomlin but did anyone realize the context of that quote? Tomlin actually said they drafted Landry Jones to add to the (quarterback) room.

After the Ravens selected Simon Mayock said: “My favorite player in the draft.” Mayock called Simon a “thug” but said it was a “good term” which means he is a player you need to find a place for on your football team. Charles Davis half jokingly said that Simon probably doesn’t even know he was drafted by the Ravens because he is in the weight room. Todd McShay said Simon should have been drafted 30 picks before this and this is why the Ravens year in and year out have great drafts. Mel Kiper loved the Simon pick. Chris Mortenson said that Mike Vrable former Steelers and Patriots linebacker and current Ohio State linebackers coach was adamant about Simon telling every NFL team that Simon is a player they need on their team.

What Tomlin said was no mistake because this week Steelers quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner repeated the Tomlin quote on the drafting of Landry Jones almost verbatim, “Landry Jones is a sharp guy for the quarterback room”. What? Someone please ask Tomlin or Fichtner why they would use the 4th pick on a player for the room and not the field. Colbert acknowledged he may never play so what was the purpose of taking a quarterback at that time in the draft? Simon to the Ravens. The Ravens! When the two worlds collided my head exploded.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/05/04/mike-tomlin-on-steelers-qb-landry-jones-he-is-a-sharp-guy-to-put-in-the-room-what/

my thoughts exactly.
i would have loved the simon pick and would have took dysert as your developmental qb in the 6th or 7th.
wasted pick and that 3rd rounder(i know they used it on thomas but never would have drafted jones instead of thomas if they only had 1 pick in the 4th) will really hurt next year.

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Rookie QB Jones gets first work as a Steeler

By Alan Robinson
Published: Friday, May 3, 2013

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=4rUTb D_xFSeWOmPzGgOsFs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvvRMOfLpHsd9h IzPGv5mOwWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Quarterback Landry Jones, the Steelers' fourth-round pick, works out at rookie camp Friday, May 3, 2013 on the South Side.

Landry Jones reported to the Steelers two days ago and immediately was handed a playbook the size of the one he had at Oklahoma.

That was only the beginning for the first quarterback drafted by the Steelers in anything other than a late round since 2004.

On Friday morning, Jones was running plays from that book — and, yes, the Steelers still have an old-fashioned printed playbook — or at least he was attempting to do that during the first day of the Steelers' three-day rookie minicamp.

A lot of passes fluttered. Some were offline. Others weren't thrown with the velocity of someone who was projected to be a first-round draft pick slightly more than a year ago.

Afterward, he said many of the same things that Ben Roethlisberger said after his rookie camp in May 2004. The game is a lot faster. There is a whole lot to remember. And the terminology is completely different.

“I had a lot of fun, but obviously there's still a lot of learning for me,” said Jones, who wore a gold No. 3 practice jersey on his first day of professional football. “Just putting in the whole offense today and getting into it. It's always different when you have something new you're not familiar with.”

At least there's one friendly face in wide receiver Justin Brown, the former Penn State player who transferred to Oklahoma last season and became Jones' favorite target.

There was one misconception Jones wanted to clear up immediately: He did not grow up in New Mexico as a Cowboys fan, something he knows wouldn't go over well in Pittsburgh. His dad was a Cowboys fan, hence the name Landry — as in Tom Landry, the former Dallas coach.

Jones, a fourth-round pick, was brought in partly because, as quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner said, the Steelers wanted to “freshen up the room, if you will” with younger quarterbacks.

They went with Charlie Batch, 38, and Byron Leftwich, 33, last season; now the backups are Bruce Gradkowski, 30, and Jones, 24. ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said Jones was the best of the Steelers' nine draft picks and could be the surprise quarterback in the Class of 2013.

“Landry is in a great spot to be here right now,” Fichtner said.

Still, it's not as if Jones is the already-annointed heir to Roethlisberger, who will be 31 this season and would appear to have a number of seasons remaining in his career.

Rather, the Steelers saw the opportunity to bring in a polished and experienced college quarterback who will be given a lot of practice work, and it will be up to him what he does with it.

“I have no idea,” Jones said of the Steelers' plans for him. “You might want to talk to the coaches or Mr. Rooney about what they want to do with me. I'm just here to learn football. They're giving me an opportunity to come play, so I'm here just to play some football.

“It's surreal to be here.”

As anyone named Landry in Pittsburgh might feel.

http://triblive.com/sports/sportsgalleries/3931326-74/jones-steelers-lot#ixzz2SM8uBTbb
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

hawaiiansteel
05-06-2013, 01:13 AM
Namesake of Cowboys legend happy to be a Steeler

May 5, 2013
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/124/223/landry_420.jpg

Kevin Jones did not fill out his son's birth certificate until the day after he left the hospital. Kevin and his wife Kellye had no boys names in mind after being told a sonogram revealed in the seventh month of Kellye's pregnancy that they were expecting their third girl.

It wasn't until the couple returned to their home in Artesia, N.M., that they settled on the name Landry, a nod to Kevin's boyhood idol, Hall of Fame coach Tom Landry of the Dallas Cowboys.

Kevin rooted hard for the Cowboys in Super Bowls X and XIII against the Steelers and celebrated when the Cowboys exacted some revenge in Super Bowl XXX.

So, when Landry was chosen by the Steelers last weekend in the fourth round of the NFL draft, one might have assumed Kevin had mixed feelings.

Wrong.

"Greatest organization in football," Kevin said of his reaction when he found out the Steelers drafted his son.

Chances are Kevin would have said the same thing had any of the other 31 teams in the NFL drafted Landry, but he long ago gave up rooting for the Cowboys, and it has nothing to do with Dallas not winning a Super Bowl in the past 17 years.

Kevin broke allegiances from the Cowboys when Landry started to get recruited by major colleges because he thought some day Landry would be playing in the NFL and he'd have to stop cheeringfor them anyway.

Talk about planning for the future.

Last Saturday, Kevin became a fan of the Steelers when he finally heard Landry's name called near the end of the fourth round.

Landry hoped to go much higher. As the successor to former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford at Oklahoma, Jones started 48 consecutive games for the Sooners and broke most of the school's major passing records. He threw for almost 17,000 yards and 123 touchdowns for the Sooners and, at one point, was pegged to follow Bradford as a first-round pick.

Now Jones will be in the position of learning as a reserve without much room for advancement in the short term because he will be behind franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Jones, once viewed as the potential No. 1 overall pick as a sophomore at Oklahoma, was called the "biggest enigma" of the 2013 quarterback class by NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks.

Jones was downgraded by NFL scouts the past two seasons for inconsistencies in his decision-making and his inability to come through in big games. This weekend, he took the first step toward proving his doubters wrong at Steelers rookie camp.

"It's a big opportunity for me being here period," said Jones, who is 6 feet 3 and weighs 221 pounds.

"It's a lifetime dream, to be a professional football player. Now you're out here learning and doing this stuff."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin gave his first impressions of Jones Saturday afternoon after a morning practice.

"It's a work in progress," Tomlin said. "I like his attitude. He's a good communicator. He's a sharp guy in the classroom, but, like all the others, he's at the very beginning of his journey."

It has been a whirlwind weekend for Jones, who is digesting a brand-new playbook and playing with a new cast of teammates, excluding former Sooners receiver Justin Brown, a sixth-round pick who is hoping to make the team as well.

"Terminology is different, protection is different," Jones said. "It's something you'll have to get used to.

"You're just trying to remember the plays, trying to remember where people are going. You're having a lot of information thrown at you."

Barring injury, Jones will have plenty of time to learn the ropes. Roethlisberger remains in his prime and has three years remaining on his contract. Plus, the Steelers signed veteran Bruce Gradkowski to be Roethlisberger's backup this season.

Jones has exchanged text messages with Roethlisberger and would like to pick his brain more once the rest of the veteransreturn to town for organized team activities later this month.

"He's been in this offense," Jones said. "I'm going to lean on him a lot.

"Hopefully, I'll get a lot of information out of him."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/namesake-of-cowboys-legend-happy-to-be-a-steeler-686372/#ixzz2STj7EqV0