PDA

View Full Version : Inside backer

steelsnis
04-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Wonder what NOT selecting an Inside LB in the first three rounds says about Spence's rehab??? I think I read where Colbert said recently that he loves the way Spence is attacking his rehab but that he's not all the way there yet.

I would imagine if they thought Spence was done, they would have looked at Brown or Moore in Rd. 2 as both were available.

papillon
04-26-2013, 10:44 PM
I think pressing need took precedence over just a need, Brown or Moore would have seemed like better choices value wise and draft grade wise, but Le'Veon Bell it is, I hope he tears it up.

Pappy

SS Laser
04-26-2013, 10:51 PM
I agree the Steelers have not gave up on Spence. Plus Foote is here for this year. Thay could still take the penn state guy Muati? Also next years off season FA's and draft might have Foote and Spence's replacement if needed. We will be getting a good look at how Brown works out for the Ravens though.

thor75
04-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Maybe they thought they could get AJ Klein, or Vince Williams as well in the later rounds.

chiken
04-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Man if We can Get spence back next year (not this year) that would be awesome.

supersteeler
04-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Maybe they thought they could get AJ Klein, or Vince Williams as well in the later rounds.

You just read my mind Thor.

Chadman
04-27-2013, 01:02 AM
Vince Williams is a hell of a player...

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Probably because at their pick, there were just better players, bigger needs... having said that, the Chargers ticked me off... Manti Te'o and Keenan Allen...

All in all, I can't complain about a single pick the Steelers have made... Admittedly, I expected Eddie Lacy, but, I suspect the team had Mendenhall flasbacks - "we didn't expect him to be there, so we didn't really scout him like we could have.... F that, we're taking OUR guy!"

NJ-STEELER
04-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Maybe they thought with a 1st, another 1st, two 2nds and and injured 3rd round pick was enough talent to compete the LB corps

does every spot on that unit need a high draft pick? Or can they get away with a later round guy to fill in
ie.... Foote with farrior, deebo, Woodley

ie2. Olsalvsky with Greene Lloyd Kirkland

NorthCoast
04-27-2013, 08:03 AM
I think pressing need took precedence over just a need, Brown or Moore would have seemed like better choices value wise and draft grade wise, but Le'Veon Bell it is, I hope he tears it up.

Pappy

I agree Pappy. I think the Steelers cheated more to the need side of the equation than BPA compared to past seasons, just thinking about who else was still on the board.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-27-2013, 08:52 AM
I like Jones in 1, and I like Bell but thought 2 was high although we probably wouldn't have got him in the 3rd so no complaints. We got the RB we liked best. I liked Stedman Bailey a lot, but will defer to the Steelers and Haley on the best WR for the system they are trying to run. If we took Wheaton simply to replace Sanders after this year then I would of preferred they just let Sanders go now. Wallace could play games because we really didn't have someone that could replace what he does. Maybe taking Wheaton is just a safeguard in case Sanders felt like he could slack off or try and play the Steelers out trying to 'not get hurt' the way Wallace did.

All in all hard to complain. All players have come at positions of need. Time to get a safety, or two!

one question...is it too outlandish to think that maybe Plax could line up at TE in some two TE sets? He is a big guy with really good hands and proved last year he can make grabs in tight spaces and take a hit. I can guarantee he is working hard this offseason to try and extend his career as long as possible. Just a thought. It's not like Eifert or Ertz are a lot bigger than Plax. If he can focus on blocking this offseason & camp could be an option or new thought.

grotonsteel
04-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Maybe they thought with a 1st, another 1st, two 2nds and and injured 3rd round pick was enough talent to compete the LB corps

does every spot on that unit need a high draft pick? Or can they get away with a later round guy to fill in
ie.... Foote with farrior, deebo, Woodley

ie2. Olsalvsky with Greene Lloyd Kirkland

+1

Get a mid-late Round pick to play alongside Timmons. There is a reason Steelers are paying Timmons 10 million/yr..

One just can't expect Rd 1 picks on ILB...

calmkiller
04-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Vince Williams is a hell of a player...

That's what I'm saying. Take him in the 6th or 7th. No need to over draft for a need.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2013, 01:22 PM
they passed on Khaseem Greene and took Landry Jones - adding more fuel to the fire of "is Spence coming along nicely"..

but, Vince would be a nice addition. nice call!