PDA

View Full Version : Steelers select RB Le'Veon Bell in Round 2

hawaiiansteel
04-26-2013, 07:41 PM
interesting, selected Bell over Eddie Lacy...

NW Steeler
04-26-2013, 07:42 PM
"Experts" give us a D grade on that pick.

BigRob
04-26-2013, 07:42 PM

Gotta be a medical thing maybe? Plus Bell is 21.

Rara
04-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Like I said in the other thread, could have gotten Bell in the third, but I'm okay with this. Comparisons to Steven Jackson.

supersteeler
04-26-2013, 07:48 PM
"Experts" give us a D grade on that pick.

Screw the experts, I love the pick plus Hoge shouted out our six Lombardi's which was nice.:)

squidkid
04-26-2013, 07:48 PM
omg. wtf is going on?

NW Steeler
04-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Screw the experts, I love the pick plus Hoge shouted out our six Lombardi's which was nice.:)

I agree with that!

SidSmythe
04-26-2013, 08:02 PM
We gotta remember this is Haley's offense and Bell can run AND catch. I love these comparisons. He's like "Steven Jackson"?? Why b/c he's tall?? I think he's very smooth with some good power. Could be an interesting pick.

Rara
04-26-2013, 08:04 PM
I'm not mad about the pick...just felt we could have gotten him in the third. Ohh well!

BigRob
04-26-2013, 08:06 PM
We gotta remember this is Haley's offense and Bell can run AND catch. I love these comparisons. He's like "Steven Jackson"?? Why b/c he's tall?? I think he's very smooth with some good power. Could be an interesting pick.

Because Stephen Jackson said Bell was the most like him coming out of college.

supersteeler
04-26-2013, 08:07 PM
He's a good blocker too which should help in his transition to the NFL, and we could use all the blocking we can get to protect Big Ben.

mr.me
04-26-2013, 08:08 PM
ohio state fan here,had a average 2012 season,but go to youtube and watch the 2011 outback bowl,and tell me your not happy after watching that!!!think not having a qb last year hurt him!!!! I love this pick,get who u want when u can get them!!!!

Shawn
04-26-2013, 08:10 PM

No one believes me when I say Bell just might best the best back in this draft.

supersteeler
04-26-2013, 08:12 PM

Shawn, I believe you.

BigRob
04-26-2013, 08:12 PM

Stephen Jackson believes you.

SidSmythe
04-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Lets trade Bell for Stephen Jackson!!

Rara
04-26-2013, 08:32 PM
I keep repeating myself, I'm happy we got Bell...but could have gotten him in the third. Blount and Jackson comparisons? **** yeah!!

hawaiiansteel
04-26-2013, 08:32 PM

Le'Veon Bell emerging as best running back in 2013 NFL Draft

By Bucky Brooks
Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
March 4, 2013

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/10660375/136342636.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Shhhh!

I'm about to let you in on a little secret that is circulating through scouting circles following the NFL Scouting Combine: Michigan State's Le'Veon Bell is the best running back in the 2013 NFL Draft, and it's not even close.

Now, I know that statement certainly will cause some consternation among the legions of Eddie Lacy, Montee Ball and Giovani Bernard supporters, but there is not a more complete back in this draft than Bell. Checking in at 6-foot-1 3/8 and 230 pounds, Bell is an old-school runner with the size and strength to grind between the tackles, yet he's quick enough to get to the edge on perimeter runs. Moreover, he is a dependable workhorse capable of shouldering a heavy workload as the primary runner.

As a junior, Bell was the Michigan State offense, rushing for 1,793 yards and 12 touchdowns. He accomplished those totals on 382 rushing attempts, with seven games of at least 30 carries. Some evaluators will view the heavy workload as a concern, due to the short shelf life of running backs. But I believe the fact that Bell carried the ball extensively without incident suggests he is not only durable, but also possesses the hard-nosed mentality to be a feature back as a pro.

Bell is also a dependable receiver out of the backfield, possessing the hands and receiving skills to be an integral part of a complex passing game. Over the past two seasons, he snagged 67 receptions, showing the capacity to run basic routes from his tailback spot. Although he is not a matchup nightmare in space, the fact that he is functional as a receiver will allow an offensive coordinator to keep him on the field in every situation, preventing opponents from honing in on the running game when Bell is in the huddle.

When I broke down the game tape, I came away viewing Bell as a Steven Jackson clone. Bell not only runs with a similar gait, but he displays the patience and vision to excel in a zone-based scheme. Bell's ability to read and set up his blocks at the line of scrimmage routinely leads to big gains when plays are executed properly. Additionally, Bell displays the ability to put together a sequence of cuts beyond the line of scrimmage. From multiple jump cuts to crafty spin moves in the open field, Bell's ability to make defenders miss at his size is quite rare. With Bell more than capable of running through contact, gaining 951 yards after contact in 2012, it is not surprising he has become a favorite of scouts and coaches around the league.

Now, that's not to say Bell is without flaws. He doesn't show explosive first-step quickness, and some scouts worry about his overall toughness, despite the remarkable production. In fact, one AFC official told me he wonders if Bell views himself as a "dancer," rather than a pounder with the ball in his hands. Regardless, I believe Bell is an impact runner with the skills to make a difference in the right offensive system.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/3/30/4159550/the-broncos-set-up-private-meeting-with-rb-leveon-bell

SteelBucks
04-26-2013, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with the pick if it was in the 3rd round. Especially with Arthur Brown still on the board....and he ends up in Baltimore.

gusfan88
04-26-2013, 08:40 PM
I had read that the Steelers have had their eyes on Bell quite a while and had him checked out thoroughly. Surprised Lacey was still their but obviously he wasn't as high on the Steelers list. Lacey was running behind a bunch of studs at Bama so time will tell. Maybe not a popular pick but Bell makes the Steelers a better team in my opinion. Now if we can get Bailey from WVU with the 3rd pick I will be pleased.

thor75
04-26-2013, 10:47 PM

I'm sure Kirby Wilson agrees as well

thor75
04-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Training camp.... Bell vs. J Jones on goal line drills. Must see TC.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2013, 01:47 AM
Shawn, I know my RB's.. he's one of the top 3-4 for sure. I ALSO rate him above Lacy. Woulda rated a healthy Lattimore as the top back. Montee Ball is in the conversation - very underrated. Bernard is the other guy up there..

Back to LeVeon, who has GREAT feet (especially for his size), patience and vision. Obviously, there's some power there... IIRC, he was in the 4.6's, which isn't gonna take it 80, but, is fast enough to take it to the house from 50 yards. Good chance he'll start day 1...

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2013, 01:48 AM
Training camp.... Bell vs. J Jones on goal line drills. Must see TC.

Naah... J.Jones would get ran the hell over!

Chadman
04-27-2013, 01:52 AM
watching him play in college, Chadman sees a little Thomas Jones to his game.

Not the guy Chadman wanted in Round 2, but like Jarvis Jones, hard to argue he's not a good pick.

The added bonus is, there's every chance he's in the RB rotation on Day 1. Combined with Stephens-Howling, who is a very good 3rd down RB, the Steelers running game looks like it's been improved upon.

Keyplay1
04-27-2013, 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

There are a lot of varying opinions on this around the boards.

Anyway, at least it explains all that noise I heard outside earlier tonight. Sounded like a bunch of bells ringing. Only after listening kind of close they did not sound like those festive bells you hear in something like Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture but more like those bells you hear in those screwy operas before something real bad is going to happen. Oh well. We'll see.

btw: They showed some clips on the 11pm sports. Haley gave the hype talk.

Keyplay1
04-27-2013, 04:00 AM
Hey! Something just occurred to me and I suppose this is as good a thread as any to ask this question.

I know how the NFL is really strict on drugs and is always testing the players. But I was wondering do they also test these coaches?

NorthCoast
04-27-2013, 07:52 AM
Not sold on Bell, but I will keep it to myself for the moment.....

Keyplay1
04-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Not sold on Bell, but I will keep it to myself for the moment.....

I just hope that moment doesn't come sometime during next season after articles start appearing annointing lacy as one of those back of the decade types. :D

DukieBoy
04-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

There are a lot of varying opinions on this around the boards.

Anyway, at least it explains all that noise I heard outside earlier tonight. Sounded like a bunch of bells ringing. Only after listening kind of close they did not sound like those festive bells you hear in something like Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture but more like those bells you hear in those screwy operas before something real bad is going to happen. Oh well. We'll see.

btw: They showed some clips on the 11pm sports. Haley gave the hype talk.

Sorry. I don't have opera experience. ;)

I'm thinking positive about Bell in the backfield. The proof will be found on the field.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-27-2013, 11:04 AM
If Lattimore is there in the 5th would you roll the dice? 6th? Go to camp with Bell, Dwyer, Lattimore, Stevens Howling?

Seahawks RB situation is stacked. Lynch, Robert Turbin, Christine Michael...

Mister Pittsburgh
04-27-2013, 11:38 AM
They just said on NFL network that the Steelers are trying to unloads A RB after drafting Bell. Maybe trying to score an extra pick.

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio compares Le'Veon Bell to Franco Harris

By Neal Coolong on Apr 27 2013

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/12278361/131545960.0_standard_500.0.jpg

While he's clearly adding some hyperbole for the sake of the moment, Mark Dantonio's comparison of Le'Veon Bell to the Steelers' powerful Hall of Fame fullback brings up an interesting question: Is Bell going to be utilized in a zone or a power scheme?

As it turns out, Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio grew up a Steelers fan.

Certainly a convenient thing to tell the Pittsburgh media when discussing his player, Le'Veon Bell, being taken by those same Steelers.

Dantonio mentioned something a bit more provocative, though. He compared him to a Steelers legend.

According to Mike Griffith of MLive, Dantonio connected Bell to the Steelers in a great way:

"I grew up, I was a Steelers fan, too,'' Dantonio revealed. "They have a statue of Franco Harris when you walk in the airport.

"The things you do, running north and south, is very, very similar to him.''

Many of the moves the Steelers have made this offseason - the hiring of offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. in particular - seem to suggest the team will make more of a concerted effort in running zone this season. Efforts to run zone last year were made but proved futile, at least somewhat in part to a lesser athletic combination of tackles.

Reviewing Bell's games last season, it seemed like Michigan State had something of the same problem. They wanted to run zone, and did, to varying levels of success. Clearly, Wisconsin's Montee Ball had more success in zone specific schemes over an outstanding career in one of the nation's best rushing teams.

While Dantonio is obviously throwing in a bit of hyperbole when making suggestions there's a link between Bell and Harris, it's an interesting question to consider: Is Bell the Steelers' guy to run zone, or is he going to be another link in a chain of runners aimed to harness specific skills over the entire running game?

One area in which Bell absolutely excels is in pass protection. He's not a game-breaking open field runner, but he can catch the ball well enough. His ability and desire to block could make him a third down candidate right off the bat.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/27/4274498/michigan-state-coach-mark-dantonio-leveon-bell-steelers-comments

steel50
04-27-2013, 03:38 PM
I love this pick he can be a every down back catch football and block

Dee Dub
04-27-2013, 04:05 PM
I keep repeating myself, I'm happy we got Bell...but could have gotten him in the third. Blount and Jackson comparisons? **** yeah!!

Most experts had him rated somewhere around the 60-70th overall pick. I have heard and read that he was not going to last to the 78th pick.

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Michigan State RB Le'Veon Bell fills need on ground for Steelers

April 28, 2013
By Joe Rexrode
Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C4&Date=20130428&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=304280100&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Michigan-State-RB-Le-Veon-Bell-fills-need-ground-Steelers

It’s pass, pass, pass and sprinkle in a run for many in the NFL, but the Pittsburgh Steelers still believe in the physical ground game that has served them so well over the decades.

And that’s why last season’s total of 1,537 yards rushing — 26th out of 32 teams in the league — was as galling for the Steelers as their 8-8 record. And that’s why a franchise that is used to running and winning took Michigan State’s Le’Veon Bell in the second round Friday.

Bell carried it 382 times for 1,793 yards and 12 touchdowns as a junior at MSU, and considering the state of the Steelers’ depth chart at running back, he could be in line for heavy work right away.

“He’s coming from a pro-style offense … so I expect him to get into the mix and be a factor,” Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley said of Bell. “He looks like a workhorse back and I think those numbers indicate that he’s quite capable of carrying it a bunch. He’s not a guy that you’d shy away from giving it to him 30 times a game.”

From Franco Harris to Merril Hoge to Jerome Bettis, Pittsburgh has been known for power backs since the 1970s. Hoge introduced the pick Friday, giving his approval and calling Bell a “factor back,” and Bettis tweeted his congratulations to Bell.

Jonathan Dwyer led the Steelers in rushing last season with 623 yards but is reportedly on the trading block. Rashard Mendenhall, Pittsburgh’s first-round pick in 2008 out of Illinois, is with the Arizona Cardinals now after rushing for just 182 yards last season and battling injuries during his Pittsburgh tenure.

The Steelers signed diminutive speed back LaRod Stephens-Howling (5-feet-7, 185 pounds) and drafted Bell, and that looks like the likely one-two punch for next season. And the 6-2, 235-pound Bell would seem to be the favorite to be the lead back, even if he isn’t ready to make such proclamations.

“I’m going to come in and compete,” Bell said. “I’m going to come in there and do the best that I possibly can. I’m going to come in and compete with the other backs and the other backs are going to compete with me. They’re going to try to make me better and I’m going to make them better at the same time.”

Haley called Bell “a three-down back, which is a big thing for us — a guy who can play first, second and third down.”

“He does it all,” MSU coach Mark Dantonio said Friday after congratulating Bell on the realization of his dream. “He is a complete football player.”

Bell is the third MSU running back drafted in Dantonio’s tenure, joining Javon Ringer in 2009 (fifth round, No. 173 overall to Tennessee) and Edwin Baker in 2012 (seventh round, No. 250 overall to San Diego).

He’s also the earliest MSU pick since receiver Devin Thomas went No. 34 overall to Washington in 2008. And he might be the best-suited for his new employer than any former Spartan in a long time.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130428/SPORTS07/304280100/michigan-state-spartans-leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-draft

Slapstick
04-28-2013, 02:59 PM
I read that Bell led the nation in yards after contact last year...and it wasn't even close...

DukieBoy
04-28-2013, 03:07 PM
I read that Bell led the nation in yards after contact last year...and it wasn't even close...

Bell is a tough, bruising back that is rarely taken down on first contact, and eats up yards after contact. According to STATS, Inc (http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bell_leveon00.html)., Bell had 922 yards after contact, best in the NCAA.

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Re-Stocking the Skill Sets

By Dale Lolley
For SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Apr 26, 2013

PITTSBURGH – The Steelers say they don’t draft for need, but their moves on Friday ...

... would lend to the argument against that.

A day after taking University of Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones with their first-round pick in the draft, the Steelers shored up a depleted running back position by signing free agent LaRod Stephens-Howling and selecting former Michigan State star Le’Veon Bell and Oregon State receiver Markus Wheaton in the second and third rounds.

“We’re really excited to have Le’Veon,” said Steelers offensive coordinator. “We think he’s a three-down back, a guy that can play on first, second and third down. He’s got really good hands, catches the ball very well out of the backfield. And he’s a young kid, who doesn’t have a lot of tread on the tire, so to speak.”

Running back became a big position of need for the Steelers in the offseason when they lost former No. 1 draft pick Rashard Mendenhall to Arizona as a free agent and released 2012 fifth- round pick Chris Rainey after he was arrested on assault charges in Florida.

That left the Steelers with just three running backs, Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman and Baron Batch on the roster.

And at wide receiver, the team lost Mike Wallace, leaving the Steelers with aging Plaxico Burress and Jerricho Cotchery with any experience behind starters Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. Sanders, Burress and Cotchery will all be free agents at the end of the 2013 season.

Now, the depth chart looks much different, particularly at running back.

“With Rashard no longer here and Chris Rainey no longer part of the mix, it was a position that we needed to bring in competition,” said Haley. “We got two totally different guys with LaRod and Le’Veon. We’re all excited. It puts us back in a place where we can have a chance to run the ball and throw the ball out of the backfield successfully.”

With Mendenhall coming off a torn ACL, the Steelers use a running back-by-committee approach and ranked just 26th in the NFL in rushing in 2012. Dwyer’s 623 yards were the fewest for a team leader since Merril Hoge had 610 in 1991.

In the 21-year-old Bell, the Steelers feel they are getting a workhorse runner capable of carrying the ball 20 times per game. Bell, 6-1, 230 pounds, led in the Big Ten in rushing in 2012 with 1,793 yards on an astounding 382 carries – which led college football - scoring 12 touchdowns, adding another 167 yards and a score on 32 receptions.

“I’m a balanced runner,” said Bell, who grew up just outside of Columbus, Ohio. “I’m a bigger guy. I’m 230 pounds. I can go in there and get tough yardage and short yardage. A lot of people look at me like, ‘He’s just a short-yardage back.’ But I don’t look at myself like that. I can get to the outside and beat you with speed. I can catch the ball out of the backfield. I can pass protect. I can play special teams. I played on punt return and kick return in college. There’s a lot of things I can do to bring value to the Steelers and that’s what I plan on doing.”

Haley compared Bell, who ran a 4.57 40-yard dash and had the fastest three-cone drill time among running backs at the NFL combine, to a former NFL running back who also spent some time in Columbus.

“I drew some Eddie George physical traits to him,” said Haley of the former Ohio State and Tennessee Titans star. “He’s taller than what you normally see. He’s a good athlete, and we love the fact that he catches the ball really well, yet still has that big-back presence.”

In the 5-7, 185-pound Stephens-Howling, the Steelers got a player with a scat-back presence.

A seventh-round pick in 2009, Stephens-Howling has appeared in 57 NFL games, making 10 starts. He has gained 651 yards and scored five touchdowns on 182 carries, while also catching 56 passes for 534 yards and three scores, while also returning three kickoffs for scores.

Wheaton, 5-11, 182 pounds, caught 227 career passes for the Beavers, including 91 in 2012, setting a school record. He also had 2,994 receiving yards and scored 16 touchdowns, while adding another 631 yards rushing and five scores on 83 carries.

“He’s had great production both as a receiver and handled the ball as a runner, which we like from a versatility standpoint,” said Haley. “He’s a good solid football player that brings speed to the team. He’s a fast guy who can stretch the field. He’s a good, versatile football player.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/1287297.html

Shoe
05-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Bell is a tough, bruising back that is rarely taken down on first contact, and eats up yards after contact. According to STATS, Inc (http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bell_leveon00.html)., Bell had 922 yards after contact, best in the NCAA.

That's the thing. He is yardage after contact guy, but from what I've read, he's not necessarily a "bruiser". I've actually read a lot of analysis that says he is a finesse big back, which would jibe with the Franco comparison. I've said that while he wasn't on my radar at all, I'm happy with the pick... given the things he's supposed to bring.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2013, 04:32 PM
WEDNESDAY, 01 MAY 2013 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- YOU: People are complaining about choosing Bell in the 2d. If they hadn't taken him, he wouldn't have lasted to their pick in the third. In addition to being a "big back", he also has less wear and tear on him than Montee Ball. See stats below:

 LeVeon Bell: 21 years old; college stats: 3 years/671 carries; 3346 yards; 33 touchdowns; 78 Receptions
 Montee Ball: 22 1/2 years old; college stats: 4 years/ 924 carries; 5140 yards; 77 touchdowns; 59 receptions

If you assume the Steelers were committed to taking a RB in Round 2, which player would you rather have?

ME: Personally, I had no issue with that pick. I rated RB as one of their top three needs.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/121005-ed-nfl-history-shows-rookie-qb-wont-succeed-ben

ikestops85
05-02-2013, 12:44 PM

--- YOU: People are complaining about choosing Bell in the 2d. If they hadn't taken him, he wouldn't have lasted to their pick in the third. In addition to being a "big back", he also has less wear and tear on him than Montee Ball. See stats below:

 LeVeon Bell: 21 years old; college stats: 3 years/671 carries; 3346 yards; 33 touchdowns; 78 Receptions
 Montee Ball: 22 1/2 years old; college stats: 4 years/ 924 carries; 5140 yards; 77 touchdowns; 59 receptions

If you assume the Steelers were committed to taking a RB in Round 2, which player would you rather have?

ME: Personally, I had no issue with that pick. I rated RB as one of their top three needs.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/121005-ed-nfl-history-shows-rookie-qb-wont-succeed-ben

Ball scored 77 touchdowns :shock: ... holy crap batman that is a lot of points he put on the board.

feltdizz
05-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Ball scored 77 touchdowns :shock: ... holy crap batman that is a lot of points he put on the board.

right... I wanted Ball. I'm fine with Bell but his size concerns me... he runs a little too high IMO.

BigRob
05-02-2013, 01:35 PM
right... I wanted Ball. I'm fine with Bell but his size concerns me... he runs a little too high IMO.

Ball is a good running back. But there are a few overlooked factors:

Factor #1- Ball carried the ball over 300 times in both 2011 and 2012. That is a whole lot of carries for a college RB in back to back seasons. 663 carries in two College Football seasons to be exact. He isn't going to last long in the NFL.

Factor #2- Ball ran behind one of the best o-lines in college history in 2011. Peter Konz, Kevin Zeitler, and Travis Frederick all on one line together. 3 1st round lineman. That is huge, and his stats showed it. 6.3 yards per carry and 33 touch downs.

He still had a good o-line in 2012, but his ypc dropped by 1.2 yards in 2012. Ball ran a 4.66 at 214 lbs at the combine. 15 reps at 225.

Did I mention he had Russell Wilson at QB in 2011?

Le'veon Bell carried the ball 112 times in 2011. He carried the rock a ton in 2012, 382 times. His YPC has stayed consistently around 5.0.

Now tell me how many of his o-lineman went in the first round or were drafted? His lines were putrid at Michigan State. He also didn't have a QB this year when he toted the rock 380 times and still averaged 4.7 ypc. No QB and no o-line? No problem.

Le'veon ran a faster 40 than Ball with almost 20 more pounds of muscle. Put up 10 more reps on the bench, has bigger hands, and ran the fastest short shuttle at the combine. In other words, he's bigger, faster, stronger, and has better feet than Ball.

I'm not saying Ball isn't a good RB, but to me it looks like Bell is just coming into his own and Ball has already peaked in college.

Oviedo
05-02-2013, 01:38 PM

I really like the Bell pick too.

BigRob
05-02-2013, 01:47 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-05-01/leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers-rookie-breakout-back-lacy-bernard-ball

There were 24 running backs selected in the NFL Draft, and Le'Veon Bell (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/player/26671/leveon-bell&usg=ALkJrhjGpNALpyBuPxEl8q48nRxv92elFA) is in the best position to lead all of them in rushing as a rookie. The Pittsburgh Steelers took Bell in the second round (No. 48 overall) from Michigan State, And They expect him to Be Able to carry the load Between the tackles, and beyond.

"He's a big back, No. 1, and a three-down back, que is a big thing for us," offensive coordinator Todd Haley said of Bell this week. "He has very good hands and catches the ball very well out of the backfield."

At 6-1, 230 pounds, Bell has drawn comparisons to former Titans star Eddie George and current Falcons feature back Steven Jackson. Bell is the product of a system Spartans That will help ease his transition to the Steelers.

"He's coming from a pro-style offense," Haley said. "A lot of the (Steelers') runs will be very similar to the runs That I was running."

Bell is very capable of winning the Steelers' running back competition and earning a Total of 20-25 carries / catches per game. He is listed ahead of holdovers Already Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman on Pittsburgh's depth chart, and free-agent Addition LaRod Stephens-Howling (5-7, 185) is built to be more of a third-down type.

I really think this is going to be our rookie of the year for the Steelers. He's being undersold by a lot of pundits except for former scout Bucky Brooks. Brooks thinks he the best RB in this class.

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2013, 11:12 PM
In rookie RB class, Steelers' Le'Veon Bell has best shot of breakout season

PUBLISHED Wednesday, May 1, 2013
by Vinnie Iyer Sporting News

http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/6/27/4496365/156851-330-0.jpg

Coming from a pro-style offense at Michigan State, Le'Veon Bell should not have a tough transition in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo)

There were 24 running backs selected in the NFL Draft, and Le'Veon Bell is in the best position to lead all of them in rushing as a rookie. The Pittsburgh Steelers took Bell in the second round (No. 48 overall) from Michigan State, and they expect him to be able to carry the load between the tackles— and beyond.

"He's a big back, No. 1, and a three-down back, which is a big thing for us," offensive coordinator Todd Haley said of Bell this week. "He has very good hands and catches the ball very well out of the backfield."

At 6-1, 230 pounds, Bell has drawn comparisons to former Titans star Eddie George and current Falcons feature back Steven Jackson. Bell is the product of a Spartans system that will help ease his transition to the Steelers.

"He's coming from a pro-style offense," Haley said. "A lot of the (Steelers’) runs will be very similar to the runs that he was running."

Bell is very capable of winning the Steelers’ running back competition and earning a total of 20-25 carries/catches per game. He is already listed ahead of holdovers Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman on Pittsburgh's depth chart, and free-agent addition LaRod Stephens-Howling (5-7, 185) is built to be more of a third-down type.

The only back drafted ahead of Bell, North Carolina's Giovani Bernard (No. 37), will be a complementary speed back for the Bengals, co-headlining a committee with BenJarvus Green-Ellis. The team also re-signed Bernard Scott and drafted another back, Nebraska's Rex Burkhead.

A fellow former Big Ten standout, Wisconsin's Montee Ball, was taken by the Broncos at No. 58 a few picks after Bell. In addition to being a prolific scorer who can help Denver's high-powered offense finish drives, Ball has the receiving and pass-protection skills to be trusted in third-down situations. Ball is much better in those latter areas than second-year player Ronnie Hillman, and his fresher legs were seen as a way to upgrade from Willis McGahee and Knowshon Moreno. Ball (5-10, 214) will have a shot at more touchdowns, but Bell is built better to be a bell cow early.

Eddie Lacy, the biggest-name back entering the draft, benefits from stepping into Green Bay's offense, where he can play off Aaron Rodgers. But Lacy comes with some durability issues that caused him to slide, and rookie fourth-rounder Jonathan Franklin of UCLA will be no slouch in preseason competition.

Considering a sixth-round pick—the Redskins’ Alfred Morris—put up 1,613 yards to lead all rookies last season, there are two fifth-round sleepers to watch in the NFC West this season: the Cardinals' Stepfan Taylor (Stanford) and the Rams' Zac Stacy (Vanderbilt).

In Arizona, Taylor, a strong power runner, has two backs (Rashard Mendenhall and Ryan Williams) with major injuries in their recent past ahead of him. The Cardinals also drafted Clemson's Andre Ellington in the sixth round, but he has more the makeup of a dynamic change-of-pace back.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-05-01/leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers-rookie-breakout-back-lacy-bernard-ball

hawaiiansteel
05-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Former Michigan State RB Le'Veon Bell 'biggest athletic freak' at Pittsburgh Steelers minicamp

http://imgick.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width620/img/spartans_impact/photo/12733553-mmmain.jpg

Former Michigan State running back Le'Veon Bell is quickly shedding his too slow scouting report. (AP Photo)

By Gillian Van Stratt
on May 13, 2013

When former Pittsburgh Panther defensive back Andrew Taglianetti got invited to his hometown NFL team's rookie minicamp, he was living the dream.

But his wide-eyed state of awe didn't keep him from noticing the difference between his fellow rookies participating in their first NFL workouts with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the guys he used to play with at Heinz Field.

Following the camp, Pittsburgh sports radio station 93.7 The Fan asked Taglianetti, "Who was the biggest athletic freak you saw on the field?"

His answer: Former Michigan State running back Le'Veon Bell.

"I'll tell you what, Le'Veon Bell," Taglianetti said with no hesitation. "He's probably 230, 240 (pounds), I'm not sure about his weight, but he is really, really quick."

Quickness and breakaway speed, once considered Bell's weakness, seems to be his most surprising NFL attribute.

"There's a couple times I'd come up, and I was trying to establish myself, I tried to body some people and just like throw my shoulder into them," Taglianetti said. "But (Le'Veon) made me miss about three times."

Recently, ESPN's John Clayton reported that the Steelers believe Bell to be the next version of Chicago Bear's running back Matt Forte. Taglianetti had a comparison of his own.

"I told someone it was kind of comparible to a Ray Graham cut," Taglianetti said of his former Pitt teammate. Graham rushed for over 3,200 yards in his college career. "Ray Graham was always infamous for those jump cuts. Le'Veon has a little shake to him. I mean I was really impressed with him. I wasn't scared about getting run over, cause we didn't have pads on, but I think he has a lot of aspects to his game where he's going to be successful in the NFL.

"I really expect him to make a lot of plays next year for the Steelers."

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/05/former_michigan_state_rb_leveo_3.html

thor75
05-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Former Michigan State RB Le'Veon Bell 'biggest athletic freak' at Pittsburgh Steelers minicamp

http://imgick.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width620/img/spartans_impact/photo/12733553-mmmain.jpg

Former Michigan State running back Le'Veon Bell is quickly shedding his too slow scouting report. (AP Photo)

By Gillian Van Stratt
on May 13, 2013

When former Pittsburgh Panther defensive back Andrew Taglianetti got invited to his hometown NFL team's rookie minicamp, he was living the dream.

But his wide-eyed state of awe didn't keep him from noticing the difference between his fellow rookies participating in their first NFL workouts with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the guys he used to play with at Heinz Field.

Following the camp, Pittsburgh sports radio station 93.7 The Fan asked Taglianetti, "Who was the biggest athletic freak you saw on the field?"

His answer: Former Michigan State running back Le'Veon Bell.

"I'll tell you what, Le'Veon Bell," Taglianetti said with no hesitation. "He's probably 230, 240 (pounds), I'm not sure about his weight, but he is really, really quick."

Quickness and breakaway speed, once considered Bell's weakness, seems to be his most surprising NFL attribute.

"There's a couple times I'd come up, and I was trying to establish myself, I tried to body some people and just like throw my shoulder into them," Taglianetti said. "But (Le'Veon) made me miss about three times."

Recently, ESPN's John Clayton reported that the Steelers believe Bell to be the next version of Chicago Bear's running back Matt Forte. Taglianetti had a comparison of his own.

"I told someone it was kind of comparible to a Ray Graham cut," Taglianetti said of his former Pitt teammate. Graham rushed for over 3,200 yards in his college career. "Ray Graham was always infamous for those jump cuts. Le'Veon has a little shake to him. I mean I was really impressed with him. I wasn't scared about getting run over, cause we didn't have pads on, but I think he has a lot of aspects to his game where he's going to be successful in the NFL.

"I really expect him to make a lot of plays next year for the Steelers."

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/05/former_michigan_state_rb_leveo_3.html

This is good to hear coming from someone else on the field, not just a sideline reporter.

Shoe
05-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Ball is a good running back. But there are a few overlooked factors:

Factor #1- Ball carried the ball over 300 times in both 2011 and 2012. That is a whole lot of carries for a college RB in back to back seasons. 663 carries in two College Football seasons to be exact. He isn't going to last long in the NFL.

Factor #2- Ball ran behind one of the best o-lines in college history in 2011. Peter Konz, Kevin Zeitler, and Travis Frederick all on one line together. 3 1st round lineman. That is huge, and his stats showed it. 6.3 yards per carry and 33 touch downs.

He still had a good o-line in 2012, but his ypc dropped by 1.2 yards in 2012. Ball ran a 4.66 at 214 lbs at the combine. 15 reps at 225.

Did I mention he had Russell Wilson at QB in 2011?

Le'veon Bell carried the ball 112 times in 2011. He carried the rock a ton in 2012, 382 times. His YPC has stayed consistently around 5.0.

Now tell me how many of his o-lineman went in the first round or were drafted? His lines were putrid at Michigan State. He also didn't have a QB this year when he toted the rock 380 times and still averaged 4.7 ypc. No QB and no o-line? No problem.

Le'veon ran a faster 40 than Ball with almost 20 more pounds of muscle. Put up 10 more reps on the bench, has bigger hands, and ran the fastest short shuttle at the combine. In other words, he's bigger, faster, stronger, and has better feet than Ball.

I'm not saying Ball isn't a good RB, but to me it looks like Bell is just coming into his own and Ball has already peaked in college.

Yes, and the same argument can be made against the other guy assumed to be in the mix in Rd 2, Eddie Lacy. Lacy had Warmack, Jones, and Fluker to run behind. It's not hard to see then, why Bell was picked over the other two.

Oviedo
05-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Between Bell, Ball and Lacy, it was obvious that Bell was running behind the weakest offensive line in college. What is most impressive is his yards gained after contact. As we have seen with our OL over the past few years that is an important stat given the number of times our RBs get hit behind the LOS.

I think Bell will do better than any other other RB selected in Round 2.

flippy
05-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Between Bell, Ball and Lacy, it was obvious that Bell was running behind the weakest offensive line in college. What is most impressive is his yards gained after contact. As we have seen with our OL over the past few years that is an important stat given the number of times our RBs get hit behind the LOS.

I was hoping we'd land Gio from UNC who I think was the most talented back in the draft. I was a little surprised he was the first back taken. I didn't think anyone else had him rated as highly relative to some of the others.

At the end of the day, I think it will come down to our OLIne. If they're good, our running game will be good. If not, it won't. It doesn't matter who you are, if guys like Ngata go unblocked, no back is going anywhere.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-14-2013, 09:51 AM

Bell was also probably more of a focal point than the others as well. Opposing Ds knew that Bell was the primary threat and I'm sure that every team's gameplan was to stop this guy.

Shawn
05-14-2013, 03:40 PM

Agreed, as I said before the draft I believe Bell will be rookie of the year.

pittsburghfootball
05-14-2013, 06:29 PM
I think the pick was well in line.... just look at the video:

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/LeVeon-Bell---Rookie-Minicamp/79ebc487-71c1-456e-bea7-8ea68edd59a3

He's going to do well.

“I’m ecstatic to get to Pittsburgh and get to work,” said Bell. “It’s a perfect fit for me.”

He sees an opportunity to become a starter in his rookie season.

It will not be easy as the Steelers have always made their rookies earn a spot on the roster, but Bell says that he will work hard to earn that respect.

pittsburghfootball
05-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Steelers' Bell

hawaiiansteel
05-29-2013, 03:10 AM
Steelers' Jonathan Dwyer has competition with other backs and his backside

By Neal Coolong on May 28 2013

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/13763649/20130102_kkt_al8_061.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Jonathan Dwyer led the Steelers in rushing in 2012. His reward? A one year contract, two new running backs and the ever-expanding concern of his waistline.

What did Steelers running back Jonathan Dwyer do?

Despite leading the team in rushing in 2012, he gets the dubious honor of having been the lowest single-season rushing leader since Merril Hoge in 1991.

He signed his $1.3 million tender offer nearly as soon as it arrived - well ahead of fellow running back Isaac Redman - and he was rewarded by the Steelers signing RB LaRod Stephens Howling just a few hours before drafting Le'Veon Bell in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

Once dubbed the underdog late round pick, he's been filed into the doghouse, presumably left to fight for the scraps big dog Bell won't eat.

Certainly, circumstantial situations like Bell being available in the second round, or Stephens-Howling's availability along with the Steelers' need for a return man exist. These things are out of Dwyer's control. Still, signing his tender early suggests strongly he cares little for draft picks, and he's determined to show his peak mix of experience and talent is too much for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Todd Haley to ignore.

That part is understood. Dwyer will have to show the results behind the rhetoric. The Steelers begin their second round of three OTA practices today in Pittsburgh. Perhaps no position can be fairly judged without contact, but the running backs more than anyone else will be subjected to the Eye Test.

As in, "H-Eye, Jonathan, please step on the scale."

Dwyer has had issues with his weight in the past, and there are fewer concerns that carry a higher need to prepare adequate insurance than a running back who spends more time at the buffet through than the treadmill. The discipline one needs to maintain peak fitness, especially when faced with a younger competitor, will be as important to Dwyer's viability as a contributor this year as his performance in OTAs or training camp.

So if he signed his RFA tender early, good for him. He'd get bonus points if he did it between running hills and a date with the squat rack.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/28/4372798/jonathan-dwyer-steelers-running-back-competition

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-29-2013, 11:23 AM
It seems that prior to each of about the last 5 years or so we have heard that this O is ready to explode. Remember things like "Adding Limas Sweed gives Ben the big receiver that he has wanted, that is the final piece to the puzzle" :D

But it seems that nobody is talking about this year, and maybe we should be. There are many question mark areas that really could go either way. It seems like a lot of players have really gotten into shape this off season and returned with a hunger.

Dwyer and Redman in shape, the return to health of Ben, the recoveries of Gilbert, Adams, and Decastro. These three are the key. If these young guys can return to health and bring a level above what we have had here the past few seasons (which is not an overly high standard) then we might have a fun and very balanced offense.

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2013, 01:13 PM
A replay of Michigan St. vs. TCU in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl was on one of the ESPN's last night (probably "The Ocho" ;)). I watched a little bit of it, and Bell was pretty impressive. He ran hard out there and was basically his team's total offense.

hawaiiansteel
05-29-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm not mad about the pick...just felt we could have gotten him in the third. Ohh well!

Bell would have never gotten past the run on RBs at picks #58-62 where Montee Ball, Eddie Lacy and Christine Michael were selected.

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Bell would have never gotten past the run on RBs at picks #58-62 where Montee Ball, Eddie Lacy and Christine Michael were selected.

Probably true, but there were multiple solid RB options on day 3, if Bell were not available in round 3.

In the 4th round, we could have taken Johnathan Franklin, Marcus Lattimore, or Stepfan Taylor.

In the 5th round, we could have taken Joseph Randle, Mike Gillislee, or Kenjon Barner.

In the 6th round, we could have taken Andre Ellington.

In the 7th round, we could have taken Jawan Jamison or Kerwynn Williams.

I can't argue with the team picking who they considered to be the best RB prospect in the draft, but the overall depth at RB is why I was hoping that we'd take Keenan Allen in round 2, who I thought was a 1st round talent when healthy (I figured that his drop was due to the poor 40-time, which didn't prevent us from drafting Jarvis Jones). His struggles this past season were due to a combination of injuries and his brother sucking out loud at QB (the previous season, he was dominating, and also had a Hines Ward like edge to his game as well...thought he'd be a perfect Steeler wideout and a different body type than Brown and Sanders...while Wheaton has that same body type). Perhaps his injury issues were worse than I thought and the Steelers had Wheaton ahead of Allen all along...who knows.

Rara
05-29-2013, 04:31 PM
yeah, that's true. I'm overly excited that we got Bell! Even if it was in the second! Hope he can send Redman and Dwyer packing.

Discipline of Steel
05-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Im just happy we have a great Spartan prospect on the team and hes a big back to boot. Now we just have to hope the league swings back into balance in regards to running vs passing.

feltdizz
05-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Im just happy we have a great Spartan prospect on the team and hes a big back to boot. Now we just have to hope the league swings back into balance in regards to running vs passing.

Steeler fans have a Bettis fetish (say that 5 times) when it comes to big backs.

I just hope Bell isn't the typical Big Ten big back...

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Steeler fans have a Bettis fetish (say that 5 times) when it comes to big backs.

I just hope Bell isn't the typical Big Ten big back...

Bell isn't a Jerome Bettis/Earl Campbell type of big back, though.

He's more of an Eddie George/Steven Jackson type of big back.

Discipline of Steel
05-30-2013, 06:15 PM
if Bell resembles any of those four, it would be fine with me.

flippy
05-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Bell isn't a Jerome Bettis/Earl Campbell type of big back, though.

He's more of an Eddie George/Steven Jackson type of big back.

Yeah, he looks like Eddie George to me. The only thing that concerns me is the apostrophe in his first name. Every time I see his name I have to pause on his name like I have torrets over seeing it.

DukieBoy
05-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Yeah, he looks like Eddie George to me. The only thing that concerns me is the apostrophe in his first name. Every time I see his name I have to pause on his name like I have torrets over seeing it.

It's a trend thing, a tattoo for your name. You need to get an apostrophe, Flip.

flippy
05-30-2013, 09:29 PM
It's a trend thing, a tattoo for your name. You need to get an apostrophe, Flip.

Where does it go? Is it just a random thing?
F'lippy
Flip'py
Flipp'y
Le'Flip

Seriously though, doesn't the '''" have to stand for some letters? What is the "'" shortening in Le'Veon? And the V is capital so Veon must be a word. Is it Let's Veon. Wait that's another apostrophe. Ugh!?! What does Le'Veon stand for? Is it French - The Veon? Or did his mom just not know how to spell? That's cool, I can't either half the time. But I just get so darn hung up on his name that I almost want Dwyer or Redman to beat him out as a starter.

Rara
05-30-2013, 09:30 PM
D'ukieBoy...

feltdizz
05-30-2013, 09:48 PM

The only thing that concerns me is all the comparisons to RBs from back in the day...

DukieBoy
05-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Where does it go? Is it just a random thing?
F'lippy
Flip'py
Flipp'y
Le'Flip

Seriously though, doesn't the '''" have to stand for some letters? What is the "'" shortening in Le'Veon? And the V is capital so Veon must be a word. Is it Let's Veon. Wait that's another apostrophe. Ugh!?! What does Le'Veon stand for? Is it French - The Veon? Or did his mom just not know how to spell? That's cool, I can't either half the time. But I just get so darn hung up on his name that I almost want Dwyer or Redman to beat him out as a starter.

Le'Flip ... kind of like Le'Tang, very cool. Or Le'Flippy. Those seem to work. Next we'll see D'wyer or Re'da'Man.

There are no rules for the use in apostrophies in proper names, based on my extensive research, or based on my internal logic, can't seem to remember which.

DukieBoy
05-30-2013, 09:54 PM
D'ukieBoy...

That's good. But I may have to go with Du'Kiebois

DukieBoy
05-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Le'veon being taller, maybe he will draw fewer penalties under the new rules for leading with his h'elmet.

hawaiiansteel
05-30-2013, 10:19 PM

from now on I wish to be known as hawai'iansteel

http://www.boardistan.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/hawaii_stamp.jpg

flippy
05-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Le'Flip ... kind of like Le'Tang, very cool. Or Le'Flippy. Those seem to work. Next we'll see D'wyer or Re'da'Man.

There are no rules for the use in apostrophies in proper names, based on my extensive research, or based on my internal logic, can't seem to remember which.

When I typed Le'Flip it made me think of Pulp Fiction and I almost went with Le'Flip with Cheese. Had to be your research cause I can't figure out any logic in it. So I'm gonna start using it rand'omly. Maybe it will work in some good ole' Hines-Ku cause it will add more syllables where there are none. Although it might be challenging for me because I repeatedly prove I can't always count.

Le'Veon....Oh Yeah
Why don't all Steel'ers use them?
A'po'stro'phes Nuts.

flippy
05-30-2013, 10:33 PM

That sounds like a fancy kielbasa.

Ra'Ra seems like the right way to split that one up. Although I have to admit, I have another tick - every time I read RaRa, I hear rapping in my head going "Ra Ra Ra Ra Ra"

flippy
05-30-2013, 10:37 PM
from now on I wish to be known as hawai'iansteel

http://www.boardistan.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/hawaii_stamp.jpg

It's like today for the first time you got back to your roots. Seriously why can't Le'Veon be as cool as you and drop the "'". Although, there is the word trophy in apostrophe. Maybe Le'Veon is the key to bringing us #7 home where it belongs :)

DukieBoy
05-30-2013, 10:50 PM
That sounds like a fancy kielbasa.

Ra'Ra seems like the right way to split that one up. Although I have to admit, I have another tick - every time I read RaRa, I hear rapping in my head going "Ra Ra Ra Ra Ra"

Yeah, French kiilbasa, made with h'orsemeat (don't tell Chadman).

DukieBoy
05-30-2013, 10:52 PM
D'ick Le'Beau

flippy
05-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Frenchy Fu'qua
Le'von Kirkland

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers rookie Le'Veon Bell an ideal fit in almost every way

By Dustin Hockensmith
on June 05, 2013

http://imgick.pennlive.com/home/penn-media/width620/img/sports_impact/photo/12877682-mmmain.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers second round draft pick running back Le'Veon Bell takes part in a drill during NFL football practice, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

Hard-working and humble, powerful and versatile, Pittsburgh Steelers rookie running back Le'Veon Bell was seemingly built to play in Pittsburgh.

The fact that the Steelers moved Bell up their draft boards shouldn't have been a surprise, even when more popular choices such as Eddie Lacy and Montee Ball were available when they picked in the second round.

Pittsburgh selected Bell with the No. 48 overall pick, immediately making the rookie a favorite to start Week 1.

"He fits exactly what the Pittsburgh Steelers are," NFL.com analyst Mike Mayock said. "Once he gets those shoulders turned, he's a bear, and that's a great fit."

Bell came from a pro-style offense at Michigan State, where he led the Big Ten in rushing as a senior and finished among the school's leaders in touchdowns, rushing yards and all-purpose yards.

Since the draft, Bell was mentioned in the same sentence as Chicago Bears Pro Bowler Matt Forte for his versatility. Like Forte, Bell is a tall, physical back, but he is also explosive and can be used as a weapon in the passing game.

"I'll be used in a lot of different ways, kind of how I was at Michigan State, utilizing my receiving skills out of the backfield," Bell said in a wide-ranging interview with SB Nation. "Of course, running downhill and getting tough yardage, that's why they drafted me. Just be an all-around player."

That skill set will fit an evolving Steelers offense looking to get traction after an 8-8 season in which the team ranked 26th in the NFL in rushing. Veterans Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman are in the fold, but the job should be Bell's to lose.

Bell can give a boost to the offense and make a seamless transition to Pittsburgh. He's a native of AFC North country -- he's from Columbus, Ohio -- who played against right tackle Mike Adams in high school.

Bell's family has Steelers fandom in its blood lines, too.

"It's an honor," Bell said. "Actually, my family grew up hardcore Pittsburgh Steelers fans. Once I got drafted, I was already excited wherever I was going to, my family just got ecstatic."

Add it all up, and it's easy to see Bell making an early, lasting impact in Pittsburgh.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/pittsburgh_steelers_rookie_lev.html

Bluto
06-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Look at the picture above . You see Dweyer in the background and he looks fat compared to Bell. Dweyer has some skill but does not understand what it takes to be the guy.

RuthlessBurgher
06-06-2013, 01:12 PM
The only thing that concerns me is all the comparisons to RBs from back in the day...

Well, let's keep it going then! He could be a beefier version of Ricky Watters or Robert Smith.

hawaiiansteel
06-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Steelers Le'Veon Bell receives Michigan State University Alderton Award

By SteelCityRoller on Jun 6 2013

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/14287927/20130507_kkt_al8_376.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The Steelers second-round draft choice has been recognized as his college's top male athlete for his efforts on the field as a running back for the 2012 Spartans.

The Pittsburgh Steelers believe they have found a weapon of mass dexterity in 2013 second-round draft pick, running back Le'Veon Bell.

Bell's alma-mater, Michigan State University, has decorated him for his explosive final season with the 2012-2013 George S Alderton Award, which recognizes the top male Spartan athlete.

Bell led the entire Big Ten, and finished third overall in NCAA rankings, posting an average of 137.9 yards per game while leading all college running backs with 382 carries. Bell rushed for a total of 1,793 yards, which included three 200 yard performances. The Steelers believe he is capable of becoming an every-down feature back, because of his ability to make plays. Over half of his yardage in 2012 came after contact.

The award is named for the former editor of the Lansing State Journal, who took it upon himself to bestow the name Spartans on Michigan State college, when it discarded the preceding "Aggies" from the school's Michigan Agricultural College days.

If Bell can outrun fellow backs Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman, like he did collegiate defenders in 2012, he could find himself carrying the load by the ball for the Steelers in a role conducive to similar production.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/6/6/4400354/steelers-leveon-bell-Michigan-State-Alderton-Award

Coolie Man
06-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Look at the picture above . You see Dweyer in the background and he looks fat compared to Bell. Dweyer has some skill but does not understand what it takes to be the guy.

Doesn't mean squat. Weight can actually help you in football.

Oviedo
06-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Steelers Le'Veon Bell receives Michigan State University Alderton Award

By SteelCityRoller on Jun 6 2013

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/14287927/20130507_kkt_al8_376.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The Steelers second-round draft choice has been recognized as his college's top male athlete for his efforts on the field as a running back for the 2012 Spartans.

The Pittsburgh Steelers believe they have found a weapon of mass dexterity in 2013 second-round draft pick, running back Le'Veon Bell.

Bell's alma-mater, Michigan State University, has decorated him for his explosive final season with the 2012-2013 George S Alderton Award, which recognizes the top male Spartan athlete.

Bell led the entire Big Ten, and finished third overall in NCAA rankings, posting an average of 137.9 yards per game while leading all college running backs with 382 carries. Bell rushed for a total of 1,793 yards, which included three 200 yard performances. The Steelers believe he is capable of becoming an every-down feature back, because of his ability to make plays. Over half of his yardage in 2012 came after contact.

The award is named for the former editor of the Lansing State Journal, who took it upon himself to bestow the name Spartans on Michigan State college, when it discarded the preceding "Aggies" from the school's Michigan Agricultural College days.

If Bell can outrun fellow backs Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman, like he did collegiate defenders in 2012, he could find himself carrying the load by the ball for the Steelers in a role conducive to similar production.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/6/6/4400354/steelers-leveon-bell-Michigan-State-Alderton-Award

Bell will be the #1 RB before mid-season. Our offensive coaches know how to integrate young talent and get the best talent on the field.