PDA

View Full Version : Will Jarvis Jones win the competition vs. Worlids for starter @ OLB

supersteeler
04-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Based on what he did in college Jarvis has the potencial but moreso he played OLB and won't have to convert from DE like Worlids and Woodley had to. That in itself should make the transition to the Pro's a little easier since he won't have to change positions.
Should he win out against Worlids it would give us depth behind Woodley as Worlids is better suited for that side, but at this point Jones has to prove himself in camp, the preseason to be considered a starter which would be rare in the Steelers defense.
Just a guess, he may split time with Worlids until he can win that position outright and be that bonus player for us that has immediate impact.

We still need a Safety and ILB and help on the offense with a RB, WR, but is it me or does anyone feel we still need help on our D-line? If we don't get another D-lineman, I wonder if there will be any changes on who plays where with our current group?

Btw, Congrats to all of you who picked Jones @ 17!

Rara
04-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Jones will be starting by no later than October of this year. That's my guess.

phillyesq
04-26-2013, 10:05 AM
I suspect that Worilds wins the competition initially, but that Jones gets playing time early in passing situations, and ends up with significant time this year when Worilds and/or Woodley get hurt.

thor75
04-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Was the date of Jarvis's pro day before or after TS told Harrison they didn't want him back? If it was before, the Steelers took a nice gamble that paid off. Just curious.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-26-2013, 10:12 AM
As a rook, I doubt he'll start... He'll have a lot of situational time...

supersteeler
04-26-2013, 10:17 AM
I suspect that Worilds wins the competition initially, but that Jones gets playing time early in passing situations, and ends up with significant time this year when Worilds and/or Woodley get hurt.

That's what I'm thinking. Remember, Worlids might be good at rushing the passer but issues against the run where Jones seems to do both well, that could be a deciding factor as the season moves on.

thor75
04-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Was the date of Jarvis's pro day before or after TS told Harrison they didn't want him back? If it was before, the Steelers took a nice gamble that paid off. Just curious.

Harrison released March 9, Jones Pro day March 21. Had to check... Would have been interesting if the dates were switched.

Oviedo
04-26-2013, 10:36 AM
No because Worilds is much better than anyone wants to give him credit for. he will come to camp in shape and ready to compete. Can we say the same about Woodley?

B&GinNC
04-26-2013, 10:56 AM
No because Worilds is much better than anyone wants to give him credit for. he will come to camp in shape and ready to compete. Can we say the same about Woodley?

Agreed. The season starts with Woodley and Worilds outside, then Woodley sprains an ovary in week 3 and takes his seat on the bench, becoming the Steelers' version of Wally Pipp.

Northern_Blitz
04-26-2013, 11:06 AM
My guess is that Worilds gets the nod in the base to start the year and they have Jones focus on something like the Nickle package. Learn one position really well and be the first option there. First back up at both OLBs.

Coolie Man
04-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Worilds is better at this point. I still think Worilds becomes a good player this year. Woodley is the problem.

phillyesq
04-26-2013, 11:45 AM

You nailed it that Woodley is probably the biggest question mark on the D. You have to hope that Woodley has pride because his contract makes it impossible to cut him.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-26-2013, 11:51 AM
If Jarvis Jones is the man the Steelers thought he would be ... He should beat out Worilds. I think it would be a negative any way you look at it if Jones doesn't beat out Worilds at some point in 2013. Would Worilds be playing that good or Jones struggling? Take it from there where 2014 comes in.

focosteeler
04-26-2013, 12:14 PM
I think he will push both Worilds and Woodley. Heck it would be great if Worilds could use the motivation and beat him out and become a great player. OLB is such an important position it would be great to have 3 really good guys at the position.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-26-2013, 12:33 PM
If Jarvis Jones is the man the Steelers thought he would be ... He should beat out Worilds. I think it would be a negative any way you look at it if Jones doesn't beat out Worilds at some point in 2013. Would Worilds be playing that good or Jones struggling? Take it from there where 2014 comes in.

Troy Polamalu didn't beat out his guy as a rook... they all come along at their own pace...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-26-2013, 12:35 PM
I will be the first one to say that he will be the week one starter. I believe that the team views Worilds much the same way as a guy like Foote or Gay. They would be fine with starting him if needed, but do not view him as the ROLB of the future. I see an open competition with the more talented player winning out.

In comparing them, Jones is seen as a top 10 talent who slid due to medical concerns. If those concerns don't come out in camp then they are not concerns for week one. Worilds is seen as a guy who the Steelers overdrafted in the second.

Worilds was a player who came in and had to learn the position. He has shown more on the other side than the right side. While Jones has never played under Lebeau, he was a big playmaker at 3-4 OLB. His transition should be easier than most rooks.

If Jones has no problems with the system then the more talented player should win out, and that is Jones.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-26-2013, 12:38 PM
If Foote got injured in training camp or preseason.....could Worilds or even Woodley play inside?

hawaiiansteel
04-26-2013, 01:40 PM
OLB JARVIS JONES GEORGIA SEC

DRAFTED BY: STEELERS ROUND1 PICK17 OVERALL 17

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"He's a pretty good fit there in Pittsburgh. If you look at the Pittsburgh edge at linebackers, this kid fits from a body type and an explosion perspective. I think he'll get on the field and challenge Jason Worilds for the starting spot." -- Mike Mayock

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jarvis-jones?id=2540137

BigRob
04-26-2013, 01:44 PM

What if Worilds comes in and puts up 10+ sacks? What if Jones shows Woodley (ala 2007-4 sacks) like potential as a rookie. You don't think they let Woodley and that contract walk in 2014 if he stinks it up again?

We'll need Jones, Worilds, and Woodley to all play well to make the playoffs this year.

Oviedo
04-26-2013, 01:48 PM
What if Worilds comes in and puts up 10+ sacks? What if Jones shows Woodley (ala 2007-4 sacks) like potential as a rookie. You don't think they let Woodley and that contract walk in 2014 if he stinks it up again?

We'll need Jones, Worilds, and Woodley to all play well to make the playoffs this year.

Depends on the cap hit which I think would be huge

BigRob
04-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Depends on the cap hit which I think would be huge

That may be true, but we can get Jones on a Five year very reasonable contract. We could still sign Worild and go with Worilds, Jones, and Woodley.

Dee Dub
04-26-2013, 02:34 PM

Agreed! And I believe Jarvis Jones starts from day one. Worilds will still have significant playing time. There will be a rotation between Jones, Woodley, and Worilds..and maybe even Sio Moore..;)

Steelerphile
04-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Unless this player is unusually special, I doubt that he will start. He played a similar position to the Pittsburgh 3-4 but I'm sure there are quite a few intricacies imbedded in the LeBeau defense that he didn't need to know about in college. Worilds has talent. This guy has waited his turn and now needs to get an opportunity to play. I hope he can stay healthy. Jarvis Jones still probably needs some developing. But I am sure he will get a lot of playing time because there will be injuries.

chiken
04-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Colbert and Tomlin Seem to think that he is unusually special. His College tape says the same thing. I like Worilds but I kinda think the Addition of Jones spelled bad news for Him.. If not game 1 then by Mid Season I think Jarvis will be starting.. I live here in Ga, I have seen many of his games, the Kid is special.

On a side note I think its pretty weird how some people cant see Jones starting but Last year when Spence was ripping it up we could see him taking the job from Foot right away..

Big Ern McCracken
04-27-2013, 07:20 AM
If Foote got injured in training camp or preseason.....could Worilds or even Woodley play inside?

i Have been hearing that they have been saying this about Jones (ILB) as a possibility. Have never seen the kid play, so I dont know about his potential there. He seems to be a great character guy though...

That would make him even that much more valuable if he could play both positions.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Troy Polamalu didn't beat out his guy as a rook... they all come along at their own pace...

Troy was drafted with two vet safeties entrenched in front of him in Alexander & Logan. He saw significant playing time as a rookie and was the full time starter year 2. Jones is coming with no full time starter in front of him. Worilds has three years experience but he is only 1 year older than Jones. Worilds is auditioning for a new team in 2013. Jones has to be a starter no later than 2014 when Worilds leaves. But if he is the man they think he is he should unseat Worilds at some point in 2013.

papillon
04-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Troy was drafted with two vet safeties entrenched in front of him in Alexander & Logan. He saw significant playing time as a rookie and was the full time starter year 2. Jones is coming with no full time starter in front of him. Worilds has three years experience but he is only 1 year older than Jones. Worilds is auditioning for a new team in 2013. Jones has to be a starter no later than 2014 when Worilds leaves. But if he is the man they think he is he should unseat Worilds at some point in 2013.

I also believe the Steelers are going to take a long hard look at Woodley this year as well. If the often injured and productivity lacking OLB from last year shows up he may end up being the one that gets shown the door. They've been patient up to this point, but if the young(er) guys start producing Lamarr may be the one on the outside looking in.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-29-2013, 10:54 AM

That is why I said it is a negative no matter what way you look at it if Jones isn't a starter at some point in 2013. Woodley is on the hot seat...But so are the people who shifted 14 mil of dead oney if he does stink it up and they want to cut him in 2014. So reading that, you would assume they expect him to return to form. If Worilds does have a 10+ sack season, the Steelers may not be in a position to retain him unless the want to franchise him in 2014. They may not want to give him a big deal with Jones sitting in the wings unless Jones stinks it up OR they feel he isn't ready to replace Worilds. No matter which way you look at it, there may be a 1st or 2nd round investment wasted. Since Jones is a year younger and a 1st rounder...You have to hope Jones is next great LB in waiting. Since he is the future, you hope he is so good he gets on the field immediately.

Since I am a Steeler fan first...Best case for the Steelers would be that Woodley returns to form, Worilds has a break out year, and Jones shows enough in his limited reps & STs to reassure the Steelers they made the right decision. Unfortunately, that would mean the investment made on Worilds may walk out the door in 2014. There is still one scenario for the Steelers long term. Worilds plays so well that they lock him up longterm before they have to franchise him in 2014. That would make his 2014 cap hit small. Woodley has a 13.5 mil cap hit in 2014 so more than likely they won't be able to franchise Worilds. Woodley & Worilds remain the starters in 2014. In 2015, a soon to be 31 year old Woodley gets traded or cut and they eat the 8.5 mil of dead money. Worilds moves to LOLB & Jones starts at ROLB. Worilds would be 27 & Jones would be 26. Besides the 8.5 mil of dead money, I would say that scenario worked out ok if you throw in a SB. Getting 8 years out of Woodley before they have to pay him 14 mil in 2015 may be the best they can hope for no matter what level he is playing at.

Shawn
04-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Barring injury I just don't see Jones starting. The Steelers ask more of their OLBs than to just rush the passer. He will have to understand reads, and improve his ability to cover the pass. He has MUCH to learn. Worilds is the starter this season if he stays healthy. BUT, Jones will get PT. And I think we see alot of him is specialized packages to get him on the field.

steel50
04-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Barring injury I just don't see Jones starting. The Steelers ask more of their OLBs than to just rush the passer. He will have to understand reads, and improve his ability to cover the pass. He has MUCH to learn. Worilds is the starter this season if he stays healthy. BUT, Jones will get PT. And I think we see alot of him is specialized packages to get him on the field.

i also see worilds having a breakout year and making a name for his self

flippy
04-29-2013, 11:11 AM
If Worilds can stay healthy, he's turned into a beast. He huge like a DLineman, but explosive like Timmy. I don't see Jarvis beating him out. No chance.

You can call me crazy, but I think in the long term, the best pure pass rusher on our roster might be Robinson. I think long term you could have a rotation of Wood and World on the left and Jones and Robinson on the right. We now have depth in our pass rush.

Will DL actually rotate these guys? Or just let 2 guys play all the snaps?

Shawn
04-29-2013, 11:16 AM
i also see worilds having a breakout year and making a name for his self

I agree, as long as he stays healthy. But, that is a big question mark.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-29-2013, 11:34 AM
I find something interesting....Because I wasn't a Jones guy. What happened to all the "Jones will be a Day 1 starter" people? Nothing has changed on the roster besides Jones being drafted. You guys starting to question your proclamation?

Personally, based on what I saw on tape...Jones wouldn't be a starter this year. But I'm hoping I am wrong now that he is a Steeler. If he is that special, you would think he would make it a competition with Worilds. You would think he is viewed as special since KC made the selection. If he flops, I'm sure the Rooneys will bring up the red flags to KC on his exit interview. I'm also hoping Worilds & Woodley put up 10+ sacks each and makes the Steelers face some difficult decisions. I would rather have the Steelers winning SBs & having too many star OLBs than looking for another.

Oviedo
04-29-2013, 11:36 AM
If Worilds can stay healthy, he's turned into a beast. He huge like a DLineman, but explosive like Timmy. I don't see Jarvis beating him out. No chance.

You can call me crazy, but I think in the long term, the best pure pass rusher on our roster might be Robinson. I think long term you could have a rotation of Wood and World on the left and Jones and Robinson on the right. We now have depth in our pass rush.

Will DL actually rotate these guys? Or just let 2 guys play all the snaps?

Agree with you on all counts. We have seen that when healthy Worilds may be the best pass rusher we have. Health is the key.

IMO Robinson may be two years away but maybe with development a future Harrison...just too raw right now.

If Woodley doesn't have a double digit sack season this year he will play himself off this roster.

Oviedo
04-29-2013, 11:38 AM
I find something interesting....Because I wasn't a Jones guy. What happened to all the "Jones will be a Day 1 starter" people? Nothing has changed on the roster besides Jones being drafted. You guys starting to question your proclamation?

Personally, based on what I saw on tape...Jones wouldn't be a starter this year. But I'm hoping I am wrong now that he is a Steeler. If he is that special, you would think he would make it a competition with Worilds. You would think he is viewed as special since KC made the selection. If he flops, I'm sure the Rooneys will bring up the red flags to KC on his exit interview. I'm also hoping Worilds & Woodley put up 10+ sacks each and makes the Steelers face some difficult decisions. I would rather have the Steelers winning SBs & having too many star OLBs than looking for another.

If Worilds has double digits sacks (I think he will) and Woodley does too, who do you keep or consider letting go. IMO I let Woodley go or try to trade him.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-29-2013, 11:56 AM
That is something I mentioned above. Perhaps lock up Worilds before he hits FA in 2014 if he has a very good year. That would give him a low cap hit that year. Woodley would be at 13+ mil. Keep them both for 2014 because of the dead money. In 2015, Woodley is scheduled to make 14 mil and will be turning 31. If Jones has flashed...That may be the time.

Shawn
04-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Some of you act like they wont find ways to get all three on the field. Trust me, we will see plenty of Jones by mid season.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Some of you act like they wont find ways to get all three on the field. Trust me, we will see plenty of Jones by mid season.

We will see plenty of him on ST. If someone gets injured we will see him at OLB or if someone needs a breather.

Shawn
04-29-2013, 04:03 PM
We will see plenty of him on ST. If someone gets injured we will see him at OLB or if someone needs a breather.

Not just that but specialty packages will be geared to get all three of them (if they are all three having a good year) on the field in specific situtations.

flippy
04-29-2013, 04:22 PM
IMO Robinson may be two years away but maybe with development a future Harrison...just too raw right now.

I think they could put Robinson out there immediately on 3rd downs to rush the passer. He's relentless. His problem is he can't drop into coverage, cant contain, and can't play the run. I think he's another 1 trick pony. And that's not a bad thing if that's all he can do.

It's going to take a bunch of guys getting hurt and he'll come in and have 3 sacks and everyone will be surprised and it'll be a James Harrison like moment.

Oviedo
04-29-2013, 04:27 PM
I think they could put Robinson out there immediately on 3rd downs to rush the passer. He's relentless. His problem is he can't drop into coverage, cant contain, and can't play the run. I think he's another 1 trick pony. And that's not a bad thing if that's all he can do.

It's going to take a bunch of guys getting hurt and he'll come in and have 3 sacks and everyone will be surprised and it'll be a James Harrison like moment.

If we know what he can't do so do the opponents. They won't put him out there just to rush because they would audible to a pass into his area.

He just needs to be a special teams stud for another year and keep learning.

ikestops85
04-29-2013, 05:24 PM

Funny, I thought I was the only one who saw some James Harrison traits in Robinson. I've just got a feeling he can be a beast as a pass rusher. I'll take a one dimensional guy like Aldon Smith out of Robinson.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-29-2013, 10:59 PM
He's relentless. His problem is he can't drop into coverage, cant contain, and can't play the run. I think he's another 1 trick pony.

Sounds kinda like Demarcus Ware and he seems to be doing okay.

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2013, 02:09 AM
Steelers very clear Jarvis Jones will not be handed starting job because of draft position

By SteelCityRoller on Apr 29 2013

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/12440197/20130426_krg_al8_038.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Head coach Mike Tomlin and linebackers coach Keith Butler are very pleased with their first round pick from Georgia, but they remain adamant starting positions are not handed out in relation to a player's draft position.

Despite not appearing very competitive at points during 2012, competition is about to become the name of the game when the Pittsburgh Steelers begin organized team functions in preparation of the 2013 NFL regular season.

Since the team parted ways with legendary pass rusher James Harrison, who has since signed with the rival Cincinnati Bengals, many expected the team to address his vacated position on the right side of the defense through the draft. The moans for Georgia's Jarvis Jones were met with agreement by the Steelers front office, and the team selected him when he fell to them at the 17th spot.

Under the collective bargaining agreement, every draft pick is offered a four-year contract, except first-rounders. Players selected in the first-round have option year clauses in their contracts, thus adding to the need to hit on first round picks, not to mention the want to involve first-rounders early to get the maximum use out of their five-year deals.

However great the want, the Steelers will not simply start him as a rookie just because.

Pittsburgh Head coach Mike Tomlin:

"I think it's a daunting task for rookies to start in any system and play and perform well."

"Obviously it is difficult when you have established veteran players like we have with a lot of continuity. We are not going to close the door on him or anyone else on earning an opportunity, and that is what this is about -- people taking advantage of opportunities. So he'll be given that."

Jones will probably always play like he did at Georgia --with a chip on his shoulder because the problem with his neck has become a pain in the butt. He stared in the face of those who told him his spinal stenosis diagnosis would prevent him from materializing any serious football aspirations. The Steelers are banking on him to bring the same intensity and drive to a roster who could use a little of both; but he will earn his spot like everyone else.

Linebackers coach Keith Butler is keeping the rookie in perspective with his new teammates:

"He's been very productive. He's going to come in and compete, but he's not going to be given the position. Jason Worilds is here. He's the next guy up since James has left, and I expect Jason to be better than he ever has been."

Worilds isn't the only linebacker who has been chomping at the bit since Harrison was released.

Chris Carter had earned the primary backup role behind Harrison prior to 2012, while Worilds missed all of training camp rehabbing from injury. Carter ended up hurt himself, leaving mid-season on injured reserve. He has two seasons left on his contract, but with little dead money remaining on his deal, he could be viewed as expendable when final cuts are made.

During training camp last season, Adrian Robinson earned himself a spot on the final 53-man roster, when there wasn't much of an opening or official position competition, after being signed as an undrafted rookie camp body. He remained on the team all year, though his playing time was limited. Both the player and the team are anxious to see what kind of progress he has made in 12 months.

For now, Worilds will retain the starting role; but retaining it beyond today is his responsibility. Just because the team isn't naming Jones the starter now, doesn't mean they won't be by the time the season starts.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/29/4284452/steelers-draft-Jarvis-Jones-starter-competition

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2013, 09:11 PM
GIVE 'EM A CHANCE

Monday, April 29, 2013
by Mark Madden

The Steelers had a great draft. Each of their first four picks filled a hole. LB Jarvis Jones, RB Le'Veon Bell, WR Markus Wheaton, S Shamarko Thomas...it was like an assembly line of embracing reality. All solid. Every one at a position of need.

That's Step One. Here's Step Two:

GIVE THE ROOKIES A LEGIT CHANCE TO CONTRIBUTE RIGHT AWAY.

Jarvis Jones hasn't proven he can do it at the NFL level. But Jason Worilds has proven he can't. He's a bum. Better the devil you don't know. I would much rather see Jones get first shot at replacing James Harrison.

Same thing at RB. Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer are curtain-jerking, low-rent, obi-wan-jobronis. Bell is a rookie, but with pedigree. RB is the easiest transition from college to pro. You do exactly the same thing.

Bell is a wide load at 230 pounds. The Steelers love to cling to tradition. Let's cling to the BIG BACK tradition. Bell can be The Bus, Part II. The Tractor-Trailer. The SUV. Whatever. JUST PLAY HIM. He's the best back on the roster. Bell isn't just big, either. He can cut. He can catch.

Give the rookies a shot. Others have shown they can't. Let the rookies show they can. After 8-8, and heavy off-season losses, what other logical choice is there?

http://www.1059thex.com/pages/markmadden.html?article=11235736#ixzz2RzWEzO9i

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-01-2013, 09:51 AM
GIVE 'EM A CHANCE

Monday, April 29, 2013
by Mark Madden

The Steelers had a great draft. Each of their first four picks filled a hole. LB Jarvis Jones, RB Le'Veon Bell, WR Markus Wheaton, S Shamarko Thomas...it was like an assembly line of embracing reality. All solid. Every one at a position of need.

That's Step One. Here's Step Two:

GIVE THE ROOKIES A LEGIT CHANCE TO CONTRIBUTE RIGHT AWAY.

Jarvis Jones hasn't proven he can do it at the NFL level. But Jason Worilds has proven he can't. He's a bum. Better the devil you don't know. I would much rather see Jones get first shot at replacing James Harrison.

Same thing at RB. Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer are curtain-jerking, low-rent, obi-wan-jobronis. Bell is a rookie, but with pedigree. RB is the easiest transition from college to pro. You do exactly the same thing.

Bell is a wide load at 230 pounds. The Steelers love to cling to tradition. Let's cling to the BIG BACK tradition. Bell can be The Bus, Part II. The Tractor-Trailer. The SUV. Whatever. JUST PLAY HIM. He's the best back on the roster. Bell isn't just big, either. He can cut. He can catch.

Give the rookies a shot. Others have shown they can't. Let the rookies show they can. After 8-8, and heavy off-season losses, what other logical choice is there?

http://www.1059thex.com/pages/markmadden.html?article=11235736#ixzz2RzWEzO9i

I agree with that. I think any rookie who picks up their assignments & playbook should see the field as a starter in the preseason regardless who is in front of him.

Sugar
05-01-2013, 10:19 AM
I don't agree that Worilds has shown he can't play. He's shown he can't stay healthy. If he can this year, you have to see what you have from your investment.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Rookie Jarvis Jones could become a factor on both sides of Steelers defense

By SteelCityRoller on May 1 2013

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/12535183/20121223_gav_al8_116.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Not even a week into his new job, the Steelers first-round draft choice could not only become the new face of the steel curtain's right side; but he could in turn cause a new face to takeover the left side, as well.

All eyes were already on Jason Worilds when the Pittsburgh Steelers released veteran outside linebacker James Harrison, then the team drafted Jarvis Jones.

The coaches are sticking with Worilds as the right side starter through the beginning of camp, mainly because of his tenure with the team; although he does possess skills worth 2nd round consideration in the 2010 NFL Draft. Obviously, Jones' first-round selection defines the Steelers want for him to be a part of the franchise's future; but by similar thinking, they would still want the same for Worilds.

Worilds is playing the final season of his original rookie contract. He will be an unrestricted free-agent following the season. Not only does he have to beat out Jones, but Worilds will also have to beat out fellow veterans Chris Carter and Adrian Robinson. If he can beat out all of his competition and maintain his starting position beyond opening day, would the selection of Jones have been a waste? If Worilds holds his job all year, would the team really let him walk next year just to validate their selection of Jones?

Either way, Worilds is guaranteed to bring his best effort to training camp, because he has so much to lose with an inadequate performance; but he may not have to win his positional battle outright to earn a second contract with the team who drafted him.

This season is definitely an audition for Worilds. The Steelers have given him all the time they can afford, and they need to know what they have in him. He has shown flashes of starting material at times, but injuries and inconsistency have clouded any projections of his future. The team knows what they think he can be, but they need to see it to believe it. However, they may not just be looking at his ability to play the right side.

While strong arguments have been made suggesting Worilds become an interior linebacker project, at this point of the game being his final obligatory season it is too late to attempt such a major mindset adjustment and honestly expect serious results; but Worilds has played another linebacker position in the past, and proved to be as capable there as he is at his projected 2013 roster spot -- the left side where LaMarr Woodley resides.

The Steelers already know what they have in Woodley. When he's on top of his game, he's one of the best in the league at his position. Unfortunately, he hasn't been as sharp over the past two seasons. Unnamed team sources were quoted criticizing Woodley's conditioning and frequent injuries. Whether the sources of those statements were valid or not, the weight they carried through the media proves they at least matched the consensus of those who followed the team regularly.

Woodley had reportedly been hard at work to be in his best shape for the season, although he denies his efforts have anything to do with those critical quotes. Jonathan Dwyer faced similar rebuke from head coach Mike Tomlin directly, in front of his teammates, following the end of the 2011 season. Dwyer responded by showing up in much better shape, and won the starting job by season's end. Perhaps the comments about Woodley were leaked to invoke the same type of inspiration. Regardless, under this year's theme of positional battles, everyone has to prove to the team they are necessary for the future.

Worilds may lose out to Jones by the beginning of the regular season, or he may not play strong enough to discourage the team from going with Jones in 2014 anyway. However, should Woodley have another disappointing season or spend a majority of it in the trainer's room, Worilds may still have the opportunity to earn a contract as a 2014 replacement for Woodley.

Woodley's contract is still quite gaudy, made worse this off-season when the team was forced to restructure his contract to clear cap space. Simply by doing so would imply the team expected him to be around. To release Woodley would hurt from a salary cap standpoint, but the team could possibly use him as trade bait next year. Trading him would be the most likely option, should the team decide to go with Worilds and Jones as their future starters.

Ideally, Woodley will play like a younger version of himself, and whoever plays across from him will play like Steelers linebackers are expected to.

It will be interesting to see how Worilds situation plays out, thanks to the drafting of Jones.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/1/4288014/steelers-NFL-training-camp-position-battles-OLB-Jones-Woodley-Worilds-Carter-Robinson

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-01-2013, 11:20 PM
but Worilds has played another linebacker position in the past, and proved to be as capable there as he is at his projected 2013 roster spot -- the left side where LaMarr Woodley resides.

Not true. Worilds has proven to be much better on the left side than the right.

but the team could possibly use him as trade bait next year. Trading him would be the most likely option, should the team decide to go with Worilds and Jones as their future starters.

Unlikely scenario. If he is so bad that the Steelers are looking to get rid of him then nobody will want to be on the hook for his $8M salary next year. Remember, the cap hit to the Steelers is the same if they release him or trade him. If the league sees that they want to get rid of him then they will wait and nab him for less than half of his salary.

Shoe
05-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Worilds is playing the final season of his original rookie contract. He will be an unrestricted free-agent following the season. Not only does he have to beat out Jones, but Worilds will also have to beat out fellow veterans Chris Carter and Adrian Robinson. If he can beat out all of his competition and maintain his starting position beyond opening day, would the selection of Jones have been a waste? If Worilds holds his job all year, would the team really let him walk next year just to validate their selection of Jones?

Invoking that name... what a joke. I never saw a more invisible man as Chris Carter this past season, since Bilbo Baggins found the ring. She should apologize to the real Cris Carter, for embarrassing the brand.

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2013, 03:14 AM
Jarvis Jones feels like he belongs with the Steelers

By Michael Uhlhorn on May 3 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/12642003/167960222.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review had a good run on twitter today highlighting his impressions from the Steelers first rookie minicamp. This gem signals what many Jarvis Jones supporters have been saying since well before the draft -- this kid was born to be a Steeler.

It is hard to pick any linebacker number when you play for the Steelers and not be compared to a great player with the same number who came before you, but Jarvis Jones looks like he might have what it takes to fill in as the next great #95 for the Steel City.

Also on Jones, one quote doesn't make or break a man's character, but Jones started off on the right foot showing that he knows his role on this team and that the Steelers make you earn your spot, regardless of your draft position.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/3/4297432/jarvis-jones-feels-like-he-belongs-with-the-steelers

hawaiiansteel
05-29-2013, 03:04 AM
Steelers OTAs: Outside linebackers begin sharpening iron for a fierce competition

By Neal Coolong on May 28 2013

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/13767393/20120909_jel_ac4_317.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The absence of James Harrison and the recent injury issues of LaMarr Woodley give Jarvis Jones, Jason Worilds, Adrian Robinson and Chris Carter plenty to shoot for in what looks to be an intense competition for playing time.

There's likely only one member of Steeler Nation excited about the hamstring injury suffered by first round pick Jarvis Jones.

Steelers OLB Adrian Robinson. Perhaps two, with Jason Worilds joining the upstart Robinson. Maybe oft-injured Chris Carter is having silent enjoyment over the limitation of the much hyped Jones.

Jones pulled a hamstring in his pro day at the University of Georgia before the NFL Draft. He re-aggravated it during the Steelers' rookie minicamp in May. He was limited in the first OTA session last week, and could be limited in the second session, which begins today in Pittsburgh.

That's fine for the other Steelers outside linebackers. The less Jones is around, the more attention for them. This would play in well to the pro-Steelers side effect of selecting Jones in the first place; the creation of internal competition.

Worilds has three years of experience now, and has played a decent amount of snaps in his career. While he was likely put off at least a little over the Steelers offering James Harrison a reduced deal to remain with the team just as Worilds, a second round pick in 2010, enters the last year of his rookie deal, he had to be at least a little miffed over the selection of Jones after that.

If Worilds is fueled by that, Robinson should be even more motivated. Harrison's departure gave him a free shot at Worilds in an even competition. Bringing Jones into the mix is yet another highly touted prospect the former undrafted free agent has to beat out to see the field.

Carter, who has battled injuries his entire career, saw the field in lieu of Harrison and Worilds at the start of last season, and needs a healthy start to this camp to move past his likely fringe roster status.

Iron sharpens iron, and Worilds sharpens Jones, Robinson and Carter. Or perhaps Robinson is the one sharpening all of them. The high-pitched shriek of sharpening metal is ringing loudly in the ears of the veteran of the group, too. LaMarr Woodley has his own sense of urgency as well, looking to play at the level he was at over the first half of the 2011 season, when he had nine sacks in eight games.

He's getting the paycheck, and he should be sharpening everyone else more than they're sharpening him. After such a long streak of a lack of health, though, he shouldn't feel as if his left outside linebacker spot is his by divine right. Robinson and Jones certainly won't feel that way.

Competition is a good thing, and perhaps with a healthy core unit of outside linebackers, the Steelers could work to increase that one thing the group hasn't had recently; depth.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/28/4373604/pittsburgh-steelers-jason-worilds-linebackers

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Worilds no longer on outside looking in at linebacker

http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/150/723/worilds_420.jpg

Four-year veteran to play on right side

May 31, 2013
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The long line of succession at right outside linebacker has been consistently good to great for the Steelers these past 30 years, with a few exceptions.

There was Mike Merriweather and Greg Lloyd and Chad Brown and Joey Porter and James Harrison, along with some exceptions like Carlos Emmons and Greg Carr.

Today, there is Jason Worilds, the latest to fill one of the most star-studded positions on the Steelers in three decades. He does not want to join the small list of exceptions.

The job is his and there is absolutely no pressure on him, unless you count this: As a second-round draft pick in his fourth season, it is his first chance to win a starting job; this is the final year of his contract; he follows in the footsteps of Harrison, the Super Bowl hero, five-time Pro Bowl starter and former NFL defensive player of the year.

Oh, and this: The Steelers thought so much of Worilds they tried to bring Harrison back, only he balked at their offer to reduce his salary and then joined the Cincinnati Bengals.

And this, too: The Steelers used their first draft pick, the 17th overall, to select outside linebacker Jarvis Jones of Georgia. It was the first time they chose an outside linebacker in the first round in 22 years.

No pressure at all.

"It's just the Steelers way," Worilds said. "One outside linebacker leaves, another comes in. It was the same way when I came in, the same way when Chris Carter came in."

Really, though, it is not. The Steelers did not draft Jones, as former personnel man Tom Donahoe might say, to lead the band at halftime. Unless he's a Huey Richardson-like bust, or injuries alter the path, Jones will play right outside linebacker -- maybe not start there this year but surely by 2014.

All Worilds can do is play, and maybe show some other team that he can start for them in 2014.

"I come out here and put my best foot forward and let the decision-makers make the decisions," Worilds said.

The chief decision-maker, Mike Tomlin, did not turn to Worilds last season when Harrison could not play after August knee surgery. He chose Chris Carter instead. Carter started three games.

The reason Tomlin did not select Worilds to fill in while Harrison awaited his return was a left wrist injury that required surgery before these spring practices a year ago. That surgery left Worilds on the sideline and his wrist still weak in training camp than an outside linebacker in the NFL needs.

"It was tough, a little worse than what we expected,'' said Worilds, who is 6 foot 2 and about 255 pounds. "Fortunately, I was able to play the whole season."

Because of injuries to LaMarr Woodley, Worilds started three games at left outside linebacker and played in other games in which Woodley could not finish. He played 435 snaps and had five sacks, just one behind co-leaders Harrison and Lawrence Timmons. His sacks-per-play percentage was higher than any other linebacker. He also started seven games for an injured Woodley in 2011 and had four sacks.

Unless Jones pulls a Maurkice Pouncey and his preseason play demands that he start, Worilds has a chance to take that part-time role and show he can handle it on a full-time basis. For the first time in his four seasons, he does not find himself between a rock (Woodley) and a hard place (Harrison). The only way he was going to play in his first three seasons would be if one of those two couldn't, and that's pretty much what happened.

"As a competitor, yeah, that's going to make anybody upset," Worilds said. "That's in anything you do. Naturally, not being able to come in and put my sword in, so to speak, was frustrating. But it was also an opportunity to get better."

He finally has that opportunity in his fourth season, and he can only hope it goes as well as the first opportunity Keenan Lewis had in his fourth season. Also a backup his first three years, Lewis became a starting cornerback last season and played well enough to land a five-year, $26 million contract as a free agent with New Orleans.

In the meantime, Worilds' play at right outside linebacker naturally will be measured against his predecessor's.

"I'm not James Harrison," Worilds protested. "When Jason Worilds steps on the field, anyone who expects James Harrison is fooling themselves."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/worilds-no-longer-on-outside-looking-in-at-linebacker-689807/#ixzz2UtAhxpk8

flippy
05-31-2013, 02:50 PM
You just never know in the NFL. Look how many years Hines Ward was an afterthought and we brought in these 1st round WRs. I hope Jarvy lights a fire in the belly or Worilds and Robinson and Carter.

hawaiiansteel
06-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Larry Foote thinks it will be “difficult” for Jarvis Jones to win a starting role

Posted by Josh Alper on June 5, 2013

Much has been made about the changes across the Steelers roster in the last couple of years and linebacker Larry Foote knows that the team is “going through a bit of a transition period” right now.

Such a transition period calls for new players to step into roles vacated by veteran contributors, something that will be happening on both sides of the ball in Pittsburgh this season. One of the players who will be asked to take on a new role is first-round pick Jarvis Jones, but Foote thinks it may not be an immediate trip to the starting lineup for the rookie even though he has experience in a 3-4 scheme from his days at the University of Georgia.

“It’s going to be difficult, especially outside,” Foote said, via Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “There is so much technique, where you’ve got to line up, inside or outside. The fortunate thing is they [Jones' Georgia Bulldogs] played a 3-4. … I’ve seen a lot come in as rookies and not have a clue, but you can tell he’s been around our type of football.”

Jones and Jason Worilds are the choices as a replacement for James Harrison in the starting lineup and history says that the money should be on the veteran winning the starting job after players like LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons started their careers on the bench in Pittsburgh. Jones doesn’t need to start to make an impact, however. If his collegiate pass rushing skills translate to the NFL, he’ll be on the field often in his rookie season and the transition period would be less painful in at least one spot for the Steelers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/05/larry-foote-thinks-it-will-be-difficult-for-jarvis-jones-to-win-a-starting-role/

NorthCoast
06-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Maybe I'm jaded watching Harrison for so long but Jones seriously needs to hit the weight room and add something to that frame.

Oviedo
06-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Maybe I'm jaded watching Harrison for so long but Jones seriously needs to hit the weight room and add something to that frame.

Or perhaps Jones can rush the passer in other ways than just a "bull rush" using speed and agility. Harrison's technique is probably a contributing reason his back problems. IMO a "speed rush" can be more disruptive than just pushing the OT in a straight line towards the QB.

phillyesq
06-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Or perhaps Jones can rush the passer in other ways than just a "bull rush" using speed and agility. Harrison's technique is probably a contributing reason his back problems. IMO a "speed rush" can be more disruptive than just pushing the OT in a straight line towards the QB.

Short of cloning LT, it's going to be hard to find any OLB that was more disruptive than Harrison during his prime. He had the bull rush but could also get around the edge.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Short of cloning LT, it's going to be hard to find any OLB that was more disruptive than Harrison during his prime. He had the bull rush but could also get around the edge.

For a relatively short period of time, he was one of the greatest 3-4 OLBs ever.

hawaiiansteel
06-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Jarvis Jones might start as Pittsburgh Steelers rookie

By Kevin Patra NFL.com
Published: June 30, 2013

During minicamp earlier this month, the thought process was that the Pittsburgh Steelers, as is generally their modus operandi, would bring rookie outside linebacker Jarvis Jones along slowly.

However, according to Len Pasquarelli, writing for the National Football Post this Sunday, the rookie could overtake fourth-year pro Jason Worilds for the starting gig on the right side of the 3-4 defense.

Jones is unlike most Steelers defensive rookies in that he already is familiar with playing linebacker, while most of Pittsburgh's recent draft picks were moved from defensive end to linebacker for the first time -- think LaMarr Woodley.

"(Jones) has got (linebacker) instincts," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. "You don't have to (wean) him off the end stuff."

Any player learning the outside linebacker position will say the most difficult part is in mastering coverage instincts. If LeBeau already sees progress from the rookie, as Jones learns the rest of the defensive calls, it reasons that one of the greatest defensive minds in the history of the NFL wouldn't hesitate to push the more talented player into the rotation quickly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000215581/article/jarvis-jones-might-start-as-pittsburgh-steelers-rookie

Captain Lemming
07-01-2013, 03:58 PM

Exactly.
Who needs to as strong as JH when you can use your renowned 4.8 sprinter speed to beat a blocker. :)

flippy
07-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Exactly.
Who needs to as strong as JH when you can use your renowned 4.8 sprinter speed to beat a blocker. :)

We've gotta collapse the interior of the pocket or no one's getting an angle to the QB. I think McClendon's play is more important that our LBs for success this year.

hawaiiansteel
07-02-2013, 02:52 AM
Whether Jarvis Jones starts for the Steelers is irrelevant; variety and depth key for Steelers' front seven

By Neal Coolong on Jul 1 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/15695897/135316202.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Using both rookie Jarvis Jones and veteran Jason Worilds seems inevitable for the Steelers' defense, and whichever one starts won't make a difference.

Len Pasquarelli recently ran with the notion of Steelers rookie outside linebacker Jarvis Jones getting the starting nod, mostly based on the idea of Jones being a "pure" outside linebacker, unlike Jason Worilds and LaMarr Woodley and many others - converted college defensive ends drafted much lower than the 17th overall pick.

Is this a question of his familiarity with starting a play on two feet instead of a three-point stance?

The height of the developmental ceilings for Jones and Worilds (the main competitors for the Steelers' starting right outside linebacker position) is something that can be debated, likely with Jones getting an advantage, but let's not dismiss the simple notion of using multiple players.

Just not at the same time.

If Worilds is clearly inferior to Jones athletically but holds an advantage in understanding the defense, and Jones has clear physical ability but his knowledge of the outside linebacker position comes from simpler college schemes, then why can't they be used in "situational football," as Steelers coach Mike Tomlin often says?

It's easy to paint what will likely be the most often-discussed position battle this training camp as being as simple as Worilds vs. Jones, but this seems more like "Tomlin/Dick LeBeau/Keith Butler vs. The Game of Football." Put the head coach, defensive coordinator and linebackers coach in a lab for an offseason, and see what kinds of packages they can create to put both of them on the field at the same time.

It doesn't seem to make sense that Worilds is so easily replaceable that his snap count can be dropped to Steve McLendon-in-2012 levels, while Jones simply takes over. Jones is a relentless pass rusher with underrated coverage skills. Add in the pass rush ability of McLendon (another quiet weapon for the Steelers this year), the Steelers very well could take on a look like the San Francisco 49ers -- lots of different looks with many of them out of a nickel package, counting on pressure from different combinations of 2-4 looks.

If that's the first play of the game, thus anointing Jones a "starter," then so be it. It seems more likely the Steelers will go deeper in their front seven than they have in recent years, and Jones and Worilds will certainly both be a part of that plan.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/7/1/4482158/steelers-depth-chart-jarvis-jones-jason-worilds-outside-linebacker

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Here's my thought. I HOPE Worilds lives up to expectations. I HOPE Jones is as advertised and they find a way to get him on the field. That would be "best case" scenario. That would be a win-win. I don't think Jones will have enough playing strength to beat out Worilds as a starter but I do think he will show enough to get on the field in sub packages.

Nickel
Woodley-Hood-Keisel-Jones
Timmons-Worilds
Taylor-Allen-Polamalu-Clark-Gay

Dime
Woodley-Keisel-Jones
Timmons-Worilds
Taylor-Allen-Polamalu-Clark-(DVD,Brown,Golden, or Hawthorne)-Gay

flippy
07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Here's my thought. I HOPE Worilds lives up to expectations. I HOPE Jones is as advertised and they find a way to get him on the field. That would be "best case" scenario. That would be a win-win. I don't think Jones will have enough playing strength to beat out Worilds as a starter but I do think he will show enough to get on the field in sub packages.

Nickel
Timmons-Worilds

Dime
Woodley-Keisel-Jones
Timmons-Worilds

With the league being so pass heavy, I would like to see what Shark could do as the LB next to Timmy in the nickle and dime. Most of those plays are likely going to be passes anyway, so why not have an ILB that can cover and run with anyone?

RuthlessBurgher
07-02-2013, 03:06 PM
For a relatively short period of time, he was one of the greatest 3-4 OLBs ever.

Just imagine if it wasn't (seemingly) legal for OTA's to get him in a headlock every time he trying to get around them on the edge.

Captain Lemming
07-02-2013, 03:21 PM
We've gotta collapse the interior of the pocket or no one's getting an angle to the QB. I think McClendon's play is more important that our LBs for success this year.

McClendon can be the next Haloti and he aint keeping a tackle from engaging Jones on the outside.

RuthlessBurgher
07-02-2013, 03:26 PM

Nickel
Timmons-Worilds

Dime
Woodley-Keisel-Jones
Timmons-Worilds

At Keisel's age, I don't see him being used in the base 3-4 and the nickel and the dime. We'll see more of Heyward rotating in this year than in the past to keep him fresh. McLendon also has a better chance of playing in specialty defenses than Hampton did, because they are different types of NT's.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-03-2013, 11:25 AM
At Keisel's age, I don't see him being used in the base 3-4 and the nickel and the dime. We'll see more of Heyward rotating in this year than in the past to keep him fresh. McLendon also has a better chance of playing in specialty defenses than Hampton did, because they are different types of NT's.

Agree 100% about Keisel but it will be by series rotation not sub packages imo. Meaning, Keisel will start and be the base & rush DL in nickel & dime. When Heyward rotates into a series, he will be base & rush DL in his series. That is really the best way to get rotation work. The only way I see Keisel not being on the field in subs is if he dropped off. I didn't see it last year but this is a new season.

I agree Mclendon can play in subs. We saw him last year in subs when teams went 2 minute. He definitely gives the DL more flexibility.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Just imagine if it wasn't (seemingly) legal for OTA's to get him in a headlock every time he trying to get around them on the edge.

For awhile he was a truly awesome force on every play. Either he was hogtied or making a play in the backfield on the QB or the ball carrier.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-03-2013, 01:47 PM
McClendon can be the next Haloti and he aint keeping a tackle from engaging Jones on the outside.

If McClendon can be that dominant then everyone on the D benefits. He would free up Timmons and Foote to make plays which shifts offensive blocking focus inside as well as giving the QB happy feet - and all that makes life easier for the rush backers. This is why Hampton was always so underrated. He made it all work. He collapsed the pocket, he freed up linebackers. More so in the past, but the entire 3-4 concept begins with the NT. He was the anchor for many years - and all this with a grand total of 9 career sacks, 4 career forced fumbles, and never more than 43 combined tackles in a season.

hawaiiansteel
07-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Worilds of Difference Expected in 2013

By Mike Prisuta
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Jul 2, 2013

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/119/1196389.jpg

The Steelers are minus three starters from a season ago, but the defensive questions as they relate to the starting 11 mostly revolve around just one guy.

And that guy isn’t Cortez Allen or Steve McLendon.

“James (Harrison) and ‘Hamp’ (Casey Hampton), those guys were here for a long time, a big reason why we were able to add to the Lombardi room upstairs,” Brett Keisel said this spring. “Their presence is going to be missed. But it’s an opportunity, and these guys like Jason (Worilds) and Steve, that’s what they’ve got, an opportunity. They have big shoes to fill, but obviously (the coaches) feel like they can carry the load.”

Keisel didn’t even address Allen taking over for Keenan Lewis at cornerback, probably because the faith in Allen’s ability is widespread on the South Side, and because Lewis’ breakout season as a starter last season was so surprising.

There’s also widespread optimism regarding McLendon taking over on the nose, but Hampton was so good and so important for so long that his successor simply cannot be rubber-stamped as the next big thing in the middle.

McLendon, like Allen, has shown some nice flashes in relatively limited action, but both are going to have to establish that they’re consistently up to the challenge.

Worilds is going to have to first prove that he’s worthy as a replacement for James Harrison, and then prove it on a week-to-week basis. And Worilds has yet to do either in three seasons with the Steelers.

His career to this juncture has been characterized mostly by either injury, indifference or both. Worilds has also shown some nice flashes with 8 sacks in 10 career starts.

But even as he was flashing last season, he was likewise exasperating. Worilds had 5 of his sacks in 2012, but accounted for just 4 special-teams tackles.

He gets first shot at Harrison’s job not because Worilds has established through his search-and-destroy play in the kicking game that the Steelers simply have to get him on the field somewhere, but because he’s the best option available at present.

Of course, that situation is subject to change after the drafting of Jarvis Jones in the first round in April.

Off-the-record expectations expressed during the spring sessions assessed that upcoming position battle thusly:

* If Worilds consistently plays the way the Steelers believe he’s capable of playing, he’ll start all season.

* If Worilds plays the way he has in his first three seasons, Jones will be starting after the bye week.

The examples established by two of Worilds’ teammates last season could prove influential, providing Worilds has been paying attention.

Lewis was in pretty much the same position last season, that of an underachiever who had yet to live up to the post-draft hype and expectation entering the last year of his contract. But Lewis embraced the opportunity that came his way and played well enough to get paid.

And Harrison didn’t become a full-time starter until 2007, his fourth full season with the team and the season in which linebackers Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley had been drafted in the first and second rounds.

That latter example has been relayed to Worilds repeatedly by Larry Foote.

“I told him I remember when Joey Porter left and they went out and drafted Lawrence Timmons,” Foote said. “Initially, they drafted him to be an outside linebacker. They overlooked James Harrison. They didn’t know what he could do, he hadn’t played that much.

“James stepped in that first year and took off and he wasn’t looking back. I told (Worilds), ‘That’s gotta be your same approach.’”

That’s gotta be Worilds’ approach because Harrison has to be replaced by someone, and because that has to happen before Woodley can become Woodley once again after amassing one fewer sack (four) than Worilds in 2012.

Other than all of that, it’s business as usual for the Steelers at outside linebacker.

A Worilds of difference, indeed.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1304452.html

Oviedo
07-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Worilds of Difference Expected in 2013

By Mike Prisuta
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Jul 2, 2013

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/119/1196389.jpg

The Steelers are minus three starters from a season ago, but the defensive questions as they relate to the starting 11 mostly revolve around just one guy.

And that guy isn’t Cortez Allen or Steve McLendon.

“James (Harrison) and ‘Hamp’ (Casey Hampton), those guys were here for a long time, a big reason why we were able to add to the Lombardi room upstairs,” Brett Keisel said this spring. “Their presence is going to be missed. But it’s an opportunity, and these guys like Jason (Worilds) and Steve, that’s what they’ve got, an opportunity. They have big shoes to fill, but obviously (the coaches) feel like they can carry the load.”

Keisel didn’t even address Allen taking over for Keenan Lewis at cornerback, probably because the faith in Allen’s ability is widespread on the South Side, and because Lewis’ breakout season as a starter last season was so surprising.

There’s also widespread optimism regarding McLendon taking over on the nose, but Hampton was so good and so important for so long that his successor simply cannot be rubber-stamped as the next big thing in the middle.

McLendon, like Allen, has shown some nice flashes in relatively limited action, but both are going to have to establish that they’re consistently up to the challenge.

Worilds is going to have to first prove that he’s worthy as a replacement for James Harrison, and then prove it on a week-to-week basis. And Worilds has yet to do either in three seasons with the Steelers.

His career to this juncture has been characterized mostly by either injury, indifference or both. Worilds has also shown some nice flashes with 8 sacks in 10 career starts.

But even as he was flashing last season, he was likewise exasperating. Worilds had 5 of his sacks in 2012, but accounted for just 4 special-teams tackles.

He gets first shot at Harrison’s job not because Worilds has established through his search-and-destroy play in the kicking game that the Steelers simply have to get him on the field somewhere, but because he’s the best option available at present.

Of course, that situation is subject to change after the drafting of Jarvis Jones in the first round in April.

Off-the-record expectations expressed during the spring sessions assessed that upcoming position battle thusly:

* If Worilds consistently plays the way the Steelers believe he’s capable of playing, he’ll start all season.

* If Worilds plays the way he has in his first three seasons, Jones will be starting after the bye week.

The examples established by two of Worilds’ teammates last season could prove influential, providing Worilds has been paying attention.

Lewis was in pretty much the same position last season, that of an underachiever who had yet to live up to the post-draft hype and expectation entering the last year of his contract. But Lewis embraced the opportunity that came his way and played well enough to get paid.

And Harrison didn’t become a full-time starter until 2007, his fourth full season with the team and the season in which linebackers Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley had been drafted in the first and second rounds.

That latter example has been relayed to Worilds repeatedly by Larry Foote.

“I told him I remember when Joey Porter left and they went out and drafted Lawrence Timmons,” Foote said. “Initially, they drafted him to be an outside linebacker. They overlooked James Harrison. They didn’t know what he could do, he hadn’t played that much.

“James stepped in that first year and took off and he wasn’t looking back. I told (Worilds), ‘That’s gotta be your same approach.’”

That’s gotta be Worilds’ approach because Harrison has to be replaced by someone, and because that has to happen before Woodley can become Woodley once again after amassing one fewer sack (four) than Worilds in 2012.

Other than all of that, it’s business as usual for the Steelers at outside linebacker.

A Worilds of difference, indeed.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1304452.html

Worilds just needs to do better than 6 sacks and he will be better than the last version of Harrison we saw in a Steelers uniform. IMO he will do much better than that. Add in Jones and the ROLB position will be fine.

Captain Lemming
07-03-2013, 05:30 PM
This is why Hampton was always so underrated. He made it all work. He collapsed the pocket, he freed up linebackers. More so in the past, but the entire 3-4 concept begins with the NT. He was the anchor for many years - and all this with a grand total of 9 career sacks, 4 career forced fumbles, and never more than 43 combined tackles in a season.

Yes, we all know how its supposed to work.
All I know is that since 2004 the Steelers have a regular season record of 17 and 1 when Hampton was not the starter.

Steelers all time best record in 2004 (15-1) when Casey missed 10 games UNDEDFEATED in those 10 games Casey missed.
Beat BOTH SB teams without Casey, ended with the leagues number one defense without Casey.

While we know Casey was better than Hoke, the above indicates to me that Casey, who EVERY Steeler fan insists is "underappreciated" (how's that when he is a 5 time probowler) is overrated by us.
Our actual success seems to depend little on whether he plays or not. Statistically, we have had MORE success when he is out.

Just in case you are STILL not convinced.
2008 Steelers Ravens.....Casey is out:.
Harrison had 11 total tackles, 2.5 sacks, and created the fumble that was returned by Woodley (who had 1.5 sacks himself) for the game winning TD.
Timmons ALSO had a sack that game. No Casey and the LBers had 5 sacks.

What made Casey so valuable again? :)

flippy
07-03-2013, 11:34 PM
I think for some of these guys, health is going to be the key factor. Can Worilds, Sanders, the Oline, etc stay healthy? If so I think we have some players and could be the big surprise of the season.

Captain Lemming
07-04-2013, 01:50 AM
I think for some of these guys, health is going to be the key factor. Can Worilds, Sanders, the Oline, etc stay healthy? If so I think we have some players and could be the big surprise of the season.

Agreed. Not a good history of health among any of them.

hawaiiansteel
07-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp Battles: Jarvis Jones vs Jason Worilds

By Kyle Curry on July 12, 2013

http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/jason-worilds.png

Arguably the biggest off-season move for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013 was the loss of James Harrison. Harrison and the Steelers could not agree on a pay-cut for the veteran linebacker, which led to his release. Harrison, now a member of the Cincinnati Bengals, will play his old team twice a year and has left a large hole to fill on the Steelers roster.

That task of replacing Harrison will be up to two young players that are in two very different places in their NFL careers. Jason Worilds is hoping for his first chance to start with the Steelers in his fourth year with the team. His competition will be rookie linebacker Jarvis Jones, who wants to be the first linebacker to start on the Steelers defense as a rookie since Kendrell Bell in 2001.

Up to this point Worilds has been looked as a bust. The Steelers drafted him in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft and he has been playing as a back-up to Harrison and LaMarr Woodley ever since. However, an injuries to Woodley last season gave Worilds the opportunity to step into the lineup and he played rather well.

During the 2012 season Worilds started three games and filled in for multiple other games when Woodley left injured. He finished the season with 422 total defensive snaps compared to Woodley’s 621. Statistically Worilds finished with 27 total tackles and five sacks compared to Woodley’s 38 tackles and four sacks.

That means that Worilds recorded a tackle every 15 plays he was on the field, one less than it took Woodley. He also recorded a sack every 84 snaps, which was almost twice as fast as it took Woodley, who averaged a sack only once every 155 snaps.

The hope is that with more playing time Worilds will continue to improve, but he has some bigs shoes to fill in the absence of James Harrison. Worilds also isn’t alone in the race for the right outside linebacker position with first round pick Jarvis Jones now in the mix.

Typically first round picks are brought in to compete right away and make an impact. Problem is, not many rookies, no matter what round they were selected, have started or made much of an impact in the Steelers defense in recent history.

Jones will try to change that as the Steelers get prepared for training camp, but the odds are against it happening. He may have a bit of a head start after playing linebacker at Georgia in a 3-4 defense. Many outside linebackers in the Steelers system are converted 4-3 defensive ends, so Jones has less of a conversion to make.

However, he will have to show that he can not only rush the passer, which he was well-known for in college, but also control the edge in the run game and cover in the passing game. During his two years at Georgia Jones totalled a staggering 28 sacks, but he will be asked to do much more than just rush the quarterback now that he is in the NFL.

His ability to get to the quarterback will not be overlooked, though, if he doesn’t win a starting job there is still a good chance he will be seen as a situational pass rusher. Aldon Smith, who is becoming one of the top defensive players in the NFL, didn’t start a single game his rookie year, but was used as a situational rusher and recorded 14 sacks.

Jones may be used in that type of role in 2013 where he is moved around and set free on the quarterback.

Even so, it is his goal to be a starter from day one and when the Steelers report to training camp in a few weeks he will get a chance to do just that.

It’s hard to say right now who will be the Steelers starting right side linebacker when the season starts in September, but you’d have to think the edge goes to the veteran Worilds. Hopefully both players have healthy and productive seasons, though, because the Steelers pass-rush was lacking in 2012 and having a successful defense starts up front.

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/pittsburgh_steelers_to_talk_to_maurkice_pouncey_ab out_free_hernandez_hat_but_is_he_guilty_of_anythin g_except_bad_judgement/14052794

SteelerOfDeVille
07-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Yes, we all know how its supposed to work.
All I know is that since 2004 the Steelers have a regular season record of 17 and 1 when Hampton was not the starter.

Steelers all time best record in 2004 (15-1) when Casey missed 10 games UNDEDFEATED in those 10 games Casey missed.
Beat BOTH SB teams without Casey, ended with the leagues number one defense without Casey.

While we know Casey was better than Hoke, the above indicates to me that Casey, who EVERY Steeler fan insists is "underappreciated" (how's that when he is a 5 time probowler) is overrated by us.
Our actual success seems to depend little on whether he plays or not. Statistically, we have had MORE success when he is out.

Just in case you are STILL not convinced.
2008 Steelers Ravens.....Casey is out:.
Harrison had 11 total tackles, 2.5 sacks, and created the fumble that was returned by Woodley (who had 1.5 sacks himself) for the game winning TD.
Timmons ALSO had a sack that game. No Casey and the LBers had 5 sacks.

What made Casey so valuable again? :)
I love it when stat junkies use stats and try to make the impossible argument sound legit... This is actually pretty amusing... Next up, I will statistically prove why the team is better without Ben..
:Cheers

flippy
07-16-2013, 12:50 AM
I love it when stat junkies use stats and try to make the impossible argument sound legit... This is actually pretty amusing... Next up, I will statistically prove why the team is better without Ben..
:Cheers

Ryan Clark > Troy might be an easier one to prove with stats. I think the Ben one might be difficult to defend. Although, scratch that, the other QB get rid of the ball, so that might be pretty easy to support statistically.

The other point worth noting is Hoke may have been the best backup in the history of the NFL that never became a full time starter.

And the final point could be DL's system works. Although that may make some heads explode :)

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Steelers notebook: Top pick Jarvis Jones anxious to put on pads

By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Today is a big day for many of the Steelers rookies because it is the first time the coaches and players will get a look at them in pads.

And it should be a big moment for Jarvis Jones, their No. 1 draft choice.

All the Steelers - coaches and players alike - are eager to see the outside linebacker from Georgia in pads, something they haven't been able to do since they made him the 17th overall pick in the NFL draft.

"It's like the first day of school," coach Mike Tomlin said. "Checking in here and getting on the grass is one thing, don't get me wrong. But football is a game played in pads and [today] is the first day of school."

And Jones is eager to show his teammates what he is capable of.

"Those are the guys I'm going to be on the field with," Jones said. "First and foremost, I got to build their trust and be with those guys through thick and thin. The coaches call the plays and put you in position to make plays, but your teammates are the ones going to go to war with you. I have to build trust in my teammates and have them know I got their back and they got my back."

Jones reported to camp weighing 248 pounds but said he expects to put on weight in training camp. Still, he might have to add a little bulk to handle left tackles in the NFL.

Jones has already impressed teammates with his speed and athleticism. Now they want to see that power and explosiveness he showed at Georgia when he puts on pads today in the afternoon practice at Saint Vincent College.

"I'm going to have a learning curve, I'm going to make some errors, I'm going to have to take those process steps," Jones said. "I'm doing a good job of taking the process slowly and learning. [Linebackers coach Keith Butler] is doing a good job of implementing the playbook and putting me in the playbook. And my teammates, all the guys help me when I'm on the field. It's been going well since I've been here."

With Jones and Jason Worilds slated to replace James Harrison at right outside linebacker, Chris Carter will move to left outside linebacker behind LaMarr Woodley. Carter, a fifth-round pick in 2011, started the first three games of the regular season in 2012 when Harrison and Worilds were injured.

Carter is eager to see Jones perform in pads.

"He has a lot of athletic ability, a great player," Carter said. "He's a real cool, humble guy. I'm excited to see what he does once we get these pads on."

A clean slate from 8-8

Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert spent a good portion of the offseason talking about how the Steelers went 8-8 and weren't going to hide from that.

On several occasions, Colbert even talked about the departure of several key veterans, dismissing them as players from an 8-8 team.

But, apparently, there will be no more references to the Steelers' record or discussion about the Steelers using last season's disappointment as motivation for 2013. At least from Tomlin.

"I'll talk about what we're doing here in camp and the development of the team, but I won't do it in reference to what occurred a year ago," Tomlin said. "It doesn't matter whether we were 8-8 or whether we won the Super Bowl. It's really irrelevant. This is not a continuation of what's gone on in the past. It's just us starting out and meeting the challenges of what this year holds for us."

Not your average interns

Three former Steelers are serving as interns at training camp, two with the coaching staff.

Former defensive end Aaron Smith is an intern with the scouting department and nose tackle Chris Hoke is an intern with the coaching staff, assisting defensive line coach John Mitchell.

Former running back Willie Parker, a two-time 1,000-yard rusher, is a coaching intern helping with the running backs. Parker, who did an internship at Division II West Virginia Wesleyan last year, wants to get into coaching.

Injury updates

Cornerbacks Cortez Allen and DeMarcus Van Dyke were the only casualties of two days of practices in shorts. Allen was held out of practice Sunday because of what Tomlin called "discomfort" in his knee. Van Dyke injured his hamstring toward the end of practice. Tomlin said it was too early to determine the extent of the injury.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2aQKDq3F6