PDA

View Full Version : that sure sucked

squidkid
04-25-2013, 10:19 PM
why the hell do the steelers have to use 1 minute of their time before turning in their pick?
1 pick later and dallas trades back. why the f dont the steelers use that time to entertain offers?

Dee Dub
04-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Because the best defensive player ( a top 5 talent), dropped to them. You run to the podium when that happens. Entertaining is for the unsure. This is the Pittsburgh Steelers.

legend of polamalu
04-25-2013, 10:32 PM
That just tells you how excited that Jones fell in their lap!

legend of polamalu
04-25-2013, 10:37 PM
I actually like it when they do it...it shows you they got their guy...Did NFL Network show J Jones getting the call...ESPN showed highlights of Jones but just like last year after the Steelers pick, Godell runs to the podium.

squidkid
04-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Because the best defensive player ( a top 5 talent), dropped to them. You run to the podium when that happens. Entertaining is for the unsure. This is the Pittsburgh Steelers.

just like all the other teams before us ran up there top get him.

Coolie Man
04-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Huge mistake and Colberts exit. Bust bust bust

BradshawsHairdresser
04-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Will we go LB again in round 2?

Eddie Spaghetti
04-25-2013, 10:45 PM

if minter is there, you have to consider it.

birtikidis
04-25-2013, 10:48 PM
With a healthy offensive line, ben will get the time to show what an elite qb like he can do. As good as he is imagine that he doesn't have to run for his life. He'll make our mediocre receivers look like superstars. We didn't need Eifert. We weren't going to reach for him. Would be a good pick for Cincy if Dalton isn't going to die next season.

squidkid
04-25-2013, 10:51 PM
With a healthy offensive line, ben will get the time to show what an elite qb like he can do. As good as he is imagine that he doesn't have to run for his life. He'll make our mediocre receivers look like superstars. We didn't need Eifert. We weren't going to reach for him. Would be a good pick for Cincy if Dalton isn't going to die next season.

heath out at least 1/2 the year isnt a need but a backup olb that wont see the field for a couple seasons is?

Sugar
04-25-2013, 10:54 PM
I'm choosing to have faith in the FO at this point that they know what they are doing more than I do. Jarvis Jones is a Steeler now, so I'll pull for him to be all he can be.

birtikidis
04-25-2013, 10:56 PM
heath out at least 1/2 the year isnt a need but a backup olb that wont see the field for a couple seasons is?
AHHHH you're a doctor all of a sudden

D Rock
04-25-2013, 10:58 PM
other players sit because they are changing positions. Jarvis Jones is, was, and will be a 3-4 OLB. He will start by mid-season.

Dee Dub
04-25-2013, 11:00 PM

Are you serious? How can you call him a bust? Domination in the SEC and he's a bust?

eniparadoxgma
04-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Are you serious? How can you call him a bust? Domination in the SEC and he's a bust?

Idgits gonna idgit.

Dee Dub
04-25-2013, 11:14 PM
just like all the other teams before us ran up there top get him.

Uhhhhhhhm, most of the teams ahead of the Steelers are perennially drafting in the top 15. Why? Because they do not draft well. So I am not so sure your point means a lot.

Rara
04-25-2013, 11:46 PM
other players sit because they are changing positions. Jarvis Jones is, was, and will be a 3-4 OLB. He will start by mid-season.

Thank you!!!

skyhawk
04-25-2013, 11:55 PM

As you know by now, Eifert IS a bungle. Nice call.

I would've loved to get him or Eric Reid even.

Steelcage
04-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Coolie Man View Post

We just drafted the best OLB in this draft, you sure you bleed B&G

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2013, 12:16 AM

Drafting to fill a half-season need rather than a guy who has a knack for splash plays (sacks, TFL's, FF's) for a defense that has been sorely lacking them of late...that's the definition of short-sighted.

Chadman
04-26-2013, 12:23 AM
There will be a select group of posters that will be stoically against this pick, or any Defensive pick, simply because they apparently never start.

Pretty sure the bulk of posters will agree that Jones presents great value, much like DeCastro did last season. Obviously he checks out medically, there are no real character concerns, and quite frankly- his college career suggests he is one of the most dominant defenders entering the NFL in years.

In Feb, he was a top 5 pick. After running in his undies, he started falling. If the theory stands that you must be wary the workout warrior who rises on draft day, the reverse theory must also stand- don't disregard the footballer who doesn't run as fast as some.

NJ-STEELER
04-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Drafting to fill a half-season need rather than a guy who has a knack for splash plays (sacks, TFL's, FF's) for a defense that has been sorely lacking them of late...that's the definition of short-sighted.

but having a 2nd round pick sit on the bench for years waiting for a chance to start and drafting his replacement...is

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2013, 12:33 AM
but having a 2nd round pick sit on the bench for years waiting for a chance to start and drafting his replacement...is

You can never have too many pass rushers. The Giants didn't care that they already had Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck (who are both WAY more accomplished in this league than Jason Worilds) when they had an opportunity to add Jason Pierre-Paul to their team.

NJ-STEELER
04-26-2013, 12:50 AM
You can never have too many pass rushers. The Giants didn't care that they already had Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck (who are both WAY more accomplished in this league than Jason Worilds) when they had an opportunity to add Jason Pierre-Paul to their team.

not a good comparison cause they move tuck around and had all 3 on the field when it is time to "rush the passer'.

are worldis, woodley and jones going to all be on the field at once?

and FTR, im not against Jones the player. but im freakin pissed about (sort of) wasting a mid 2nd round pick on worldis a few years ago when the team was championship caliber.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2013, 12:54 AM
not a good comparison cause they move tuck around and had all 3 on the field when it is time to "rush the passer'.

are worldis, woodley and jones going to all be on the field at once?

and FTR, im not against Jones the player. but im freakin pissed about (sort of) wasting a mid 2nd round pick on worldis a few years ago when the team was championship caliber.

Who's to say that Jones couldn't also move around whereever in order to get all of your best pass rushers on the field together in nickel/dime passing situations.

Keyplay1
04-26-2013, 12:55 AM

Early in Feb I posted some pics of players and called the thread an unscientific way of picking players. (This was done strictly from the pics and not knowing who the players were)

Turns out Jarvis Jones was one a lot of fans liked and would have drafted just from his pic.

http://draftace.com/players2013/jarvis_jones.jpg
(My comment then was) "No reason to not draft any of these players. I kind of like the look of #2 in row 2. He looks like he would mean business on the field."

Well, #2 was Jarvis Jones.

But in recent weeks he was not my pick in rd1. I was going with the CB Xavier Rhodes. But, nonetheless since Rhodes, Eifert, Trufant, Hopkins, Cordy, plus a few others were still there when TS picked. 100% support.

NJ-STEELER
04-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Who's to say that Jones couldn't also move around whereever in order to get all of your best pass rushers on the field together in nickel/dime passing situations.

i'd say there's no chance of all 3 being on the field at the same time

and to go back to you're comparison. Osi was on his last legs and the giants were drafting his replacement with JPP.

worldis was supposed to be that replacement for harrison but now they've taken another OLB with a 1st round pick without him even getting a legitimate shot as the starter

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2013, 01:20 AM
i'd say there's no chance of all 3 being on the field at the same time

and to go back to you're comparison. Osi was on his last legs and the giants were drafting his replacement with JPP.

worldis was supposed to be that replacement for harrison but now they've taken another OLB with a 1st round pick without him even getting a legitimate shot as the starter

We drafted the best player available. If Eric Fisher or Luke Joeckel dropped into our laps instead of Jones, would you have not drafted one of those guys because then you'd be saying that we wasted a 2nd round pick used on Gilbert and Adams?

Captain Lemming
04-26-2013, 01:57 AM
why the hell do the steelers have to use 1 minute of their time before turning in their pick?
1 pick later and dallas trades back. why the f dont the steelers use that time to entertain offers?

Not surprised at all that we took no time before grabbing Jones
with reference to the (then current news) Jennefer Lawrence fall at the an awards show
I Posted this over a month ago:

Steelers will pull one of these, running to the podium if Jones is there:

http://news.ripley.za.net/wp-content/plugins/rss-poster/cache/d061b_130225000211-oscar-photos-jennifer-lawrence-falls-horizontal-gallery.jpg

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/images/misc/paperclip.png Attached Thumbnailshttp://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=773&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1362167006 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=773&d=1362167006)

flippy
04-26-2013, 02:09 AM

DL's most effective pass rush often relies on lining up Timmy or Troy outside of Harrison or Woodley.

DL often allows Troy, Timmy, and Keisel the freedom to roam in the defense. What would it hurt to maybe use Jarvis in the same fashion and put him on the field and give him the choice to overload the right or left.

Captain Lemming
04-26-2013, 02:41 AM

He had plenty of chance.
When JH was hurt, Chris stinkin Carter, won the starting job over Worilds. Pathetic really.

Worild is the opposite of Jones.
Last year in college had 4.5 sacks? Really?
But he is a combine beast.

Jones does IN ONE SEASON, what Worilds did in his College CAREER

anger 82&95
04-26-2013, 06:28 AM
I'm choosing to have faith in the FO at this point that they know what they are doing more than I do. Jarvis Jones is a Steeler now, so I'll pull for him to be all he can be.Per Fox Sports: The Steelers cut James Harrison this offseason and it looks like they found his replacement. Jones is the total package and will immediately upgrade Pittsburgh's pass rush."

calmkiller
04-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Well a couple things to add to this, that isn't really related to Jones himself. The Steelers kept with the O-D-O-D approach in drafting in the first. So next year we get an O player. They bucked the trend by taking a 24 year old. 3 years older than their normal selections.

Oviedo
04-26-2013, 07:41 AM

Why not, we continually year after year complain that the offense is underperforming but yet we draft for the defense which is suposedly #1 based on rankings. I'd like to know what pictures LeBeau has of Colbert.

Defense DOES NOT win the NFL of 2013. It's about offense. Next year we can tout being the #1 defense and missing the play offs again.

Oviedo
04-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Well a couple things to add to this, that isn't really related to Jones himself. The Steelers kept with the O-D-O-D approach in drafting in the first. So next year we get an O player. They bucked the trend by taking a 24 year old. 3 years older than their normal selections.

We should get a good one drafting in the top 15 because unless we add to our offense we won't beat anyone. Especially with Jarvis Jones watching from the sidelines.:stirpot

Oviedo
04-26-2013, 07:44 AM
As you know by now, Eifert IS a bungle. Nice call.

I would've loved to get him or Eric Reid even.

Bumgals will win the AFC North next season. Mark it down.

Bluto
04-26-2013, 08:18 AM
How many leads have we let go in the last 2 years??? This is the type of guy when we know the team has to throw is gonna help make a diffrence and help produce the sack fumble that the team has been missing. Someone mentioned earlier JW lost out to Carter for starting duties. Not true JW had a wrist injury. But know with James H gone. We were one injury away from putting Carter back on the field. Now we will eithier put Jones or Woirlds on in an injury major upgrade .They have always said the OLB is the most important player in a 3-4 scheme. And we just drafted the best one in the draft. Not sure why people are upset with the pick. He will be starting for us next year by mid season. This kid is a special player.

feltdizz
04-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Why not, we continually year after year complain that the offense is underperforming but yet we draft for the defense which is suposedly #1 based on rankings. I'd like to know what pictures LeBeau has of Colbert.

Defense DOES NOT win the NFL of 2013. It's about offense. Next year we can tout being the #1 defense and missing the play offs again.

How many skill players on O were picked in the first round? 2 or 3?

There are still tons of weapons on O in this draft. D may not win championships but it sure looked like it won the first round last night.

feltdizz
04-26-2013, 09:00 AM
How many leads have we let go in the last 2 years??? This is the type of guy when we know the team has to throw is gonna help make a diffrence and help produce the sack fumble that the team has been missing. Someone mentioned earlier JW lost out to Carter for starting duties. Not true JW had a wrist injury. But know with James H gone. We were one injury away from putting Carter back on the field. Now we will eithier put Jones or Woirlds on in an injury major upgrade .They have always said the OLB is the most important player in a 3-4 scheme. And we just drafted the best one in the draft. Not sure why people are upset with the pick. He will be starting for us next year by mid season. This kid is a special player.

The people who are upset...

are ALWAYS upset.

steelblood
04-26-2013, 09:05 AM
NJSteeler asked...are worldis, woodley and jones going to all be on the field at once?

REasons it is good to have 3 pass rushing OLBs

1. Woodley is always hurt and Worilds gets dinged up as well.
2. A rotation will keep all of them fresh. Woodley especially seems to do well in a rotation. A rotation also is frustrating for OTs who have to continue to adjust to who is in front of them.
3. Jones does not have to start, but can still contribute early in the season. Jones sometimes struggles against the run, and he is not as strong as he needs to be. Give him a year to build more muscle and let him get after the QB in passing situations. In other words, we don't have to depend on the rookie when the situation does not fit his strengths.

feltdizz
04-26-2013, 09:07 AM
NJSteeler asked...are worldis, woodley and jones going to all be on the field at once?

2. A rotation will keep all of them fresh. Woodley especially seems to do well in a rotation. A rotation also is frustrating for OTs who have to continue to adjust to who is in front of them.
3. Jones does not have to start, but can still contribute early in the season. Jones sometimes struggles against the run, and he is not as strong as he needs to be. Give him a year to build more muscle and let him get after the QB in passing situations. In other words, we don't have to depend on the rookie when the situation does not fit his strengths.

use him like Bell this first year... one job and one job only... kill the QB.

phillyesq
04-26-2013, 09:22 AM

Good post. I would add to that, I think they can deploy a passing D with Woodley, Worilds, Jones and Timmons on the field at the same time, with 2 down lineman. That gives the Steelers a lot of options.

pfelix73
04-26-2013, 09:28 AM
This was a great pick. Not only fills a need, but he was just about the BPA at the time. He's gonna be a great Steeler for years to come (hope I don't jinx him) and he'll start/ play a lot before the half way mark. imo. He's that good. Move over Worilds.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-26-2013, 09:31 AM

couldn't have said it better, myself!

steelz09
04-26-2013, 09:36 AM
DL's most effective pass rush often relies on lining up Timmy or Troy outside of Harrison or Woodley.

DL often allows Troy, Timmy, and Keisel the freedom to roam in the defense. What would it hurt to maybe use Jarvis in the same fashion and put him on the field and give him the choice to overload the right or left.

Exactly. I could see Timmons, Worilds, Woodley and Jones on the field is pass rushing situations. I think lining up Jones alongside of Woodley would present fits for an offense.

NJ-STEELER
04-26-2013, 09:55 AM
We drafted the best player available. If Eric Fisher or Luke Joeckel dropped into our laps instead of Jones, would you have not drafted one of those guys because then you'd be saying that we wasted a 2nd round pick used on Gilbert and Adams?

I would be saying that but for a different reason. How many of hose lineman will see a 2nd contract with us if they pan out. How much of the salary cap do you want to devote to the OL?

Jigawatts
04-26-2013, 09:59 AM

Hopefully the line stays healthy and keeps Ben upright long enough for Ben to do what he does. It's funny that you say Ben will make our mediocre wide receivers look like superstars. I think the exact opposite happened in Baltimore where the receivers made a mediocre QB look like a superstar.:D

I don't watch enough college football to pretend to know what I'm talking about, but I hope we can find someone to compliment Ben.

NJ-STEELER
04-26-2013, 10:28 AM
He had plenty of chance.
When JH was hurt, Chris stinkin Carter, won the starting job over Worilds. Pathetic really.

Worild is the opposite of Jones.
Last year in college had 4.5 sacks? Really?
But he is a combine beast.

Jones does IN ONE SEASON, what Worilds did in his College CAREER

I'm not upset about he jones selection

But I'm farking pissed off on using a 2nd round pick on a back up when we were in the middle of contending for a few years.

Mid 2nd Rounders should be starters. Don't you agree?

and don't tell me hindsight is 20/20 cause I brought that up at the time we drafted him (along with spending 1's on DEs)

feltdizz
04-26-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm not upset about he jones selection

But I'm farking pissed off on using a 2nd round pick on a back up when we were in the middle of contending for a few years.

Mid 2nd Rounders should be starters. Don't you agree?

and don't tell me hindsight is 20/20 cause I brought that up at the time we drafted him (along with spending 1's on DEs)

On Defense? LOL... !st rounders aren't starters on D.

This may be true for other teams but not for ours.

NJ-STEELER
04-26-2013, 11:27 AM

dp

SteelerOfDeVille
04-26-2013, 12:28 PM

a sign that you've had an opportunity to see the guy you have and determine he's not worthy of filling the shoes he's going to fill...

Sugar
04-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Responding to the thread title. For me, it doesn't suck per se. It's more like getting clothes for Christmas as a kid when you wanted a toy. It's just disappointing for me personally even though I wish the young man all the best in his career with the Steelers. I'm really hoping for the day that I'm watching a game and so glad the FO didn't go the way I wanted because JJ is tearing it up. That day hasn't yet come though. Alas...

NorthCoast
04-26-2013, 12:39 PM
There will be a select group of posters that will be stoically against this pick, or any Defensive pick, simply because they apparently never start.

Pretty sure the bulk of posters will agree that Jones presents great value, much like DeCastro did last season. Obviously he checks out medically, there are no real character concerns, and quite frankly- his college career suggests he is one of the most dominant defenders entering the NFL in years.

In Feb, he was a top 5 pick. After running in his undies, he started falling. If the theory stands that you must be wary the workout warrior who rises on draft day, the reverse theory must also stand- don't disregard the footballer who doesn't run as fast as some.

.."Jones presents great value, much like DeCastro did last season"..... I don't think we can say DeCastro represented great value just yet..... he has barely played a qtr of a season. Lets see how he does against G Atkins this year.