PDA

View Full Version : If Jarvis Jones isnt there at 17 and Star Lotulelei is.....

Dee Dub
04-25-2013, 02:24 PM
...can the Steelers make a trade that involves Ziggy Hood? Does Star Lotulelei and an additional mid-round pick become an attractive option for the Steelers?

Oviedo
04-25-2013, 02:45 PM
I smile everytime I read the hate that Ziggy Hood gets because it reminds me of what we all read about Keenan Lewis just one year ago and how just three months ago everyone was lamenting the fact we were going to lose such a good young CB.

The problem has never been hood, but the way he is utilized in this defense. Don't you think it is more than a coincidence that Heyward is now getting very similar criticism? It's not the players my friends. You can make a case that maybe we shouldn't have drafted DEs in Round 1 given how we, IMO, misuse our DL, but both of these guys were highly thought of coming out and got picked late in Round 1 right where they were expected.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-25-2013, 03:04 PM
would i take star and let the 3 guys fight for 2 spots? yup... if he's BPA, so be it.

phillyesq
04-25-2013, 03:04 PM
I smile everytime I read the hate that Ziggy Hood gets because it reminds me of what we all read about Keenan Lewis just one year ago and how just three months ago everyone was lamenting the fact we were going to lose such a good young CB.

The problem has never been hood, but the way he is utilized in this defense. Don't you think it is more than a coincidence that Heyward is now getting very similar criticism? It's not the players my friends. You can make a case that maybe we shouldn't have drafted DEs in Round 1 given how we, IMO, misuse our DL, but both of these guys were highly thought of coming out and got picked late in Round 1 right where they were expected.

Ziggy Hood has been a disappointment by any measure you use, statistical or otherwise. In the same system, many DEs have put up seasons with 6-8 sacks, from Ray Seals to KVO to Aaron Smith. Hood gets absolutely no push as a pass rusher, and teams often opened games by successfully running straight at Ziggy.

He's been perhaps marginally better than Nick Eason. I don't fault his effort - he obviously trains hard. He just is not a particularly talented player.

Shawn
04-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Do you even need DEs with Star as your NT?

Dee Dub
04-25-2013, 03:20 PM

I think Star is better suited for DE in 3-4 like Hiloti Ngata. Yes he can play NT but I believe you could get more out of him as 5-technique. And I believe Ziggy Hood is better suited as a 4-3 DE.

Captain Lemming
04-25-2013, 03:29 PM

Start of a "the Legend of" thread? :)

Star is not a defensive lineman.....he IS the defensive line.

Captain Lemming
04-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Start of a "the Legend of" thread? :)

Star is not a defensive lineman.....he IS the defensive line.

They call his "star" because like a stars effect on planets....you CANNOT ESCAPE HIM.

Captain Lemming
04-25-2013, 03:36 PM
They call his "star" because like a stars effect on planets....you CANNOT ESCAPE HIM.

He is so great regardless of who you already have, your defense WILL "revolve" around "Star"

Sugar
04-25-2013, 04:14 PM
In this case you pick Star and thank the 16 ahead of you!

Captain Lemming
04-25-2013, 04:25 PM
In this case you pick Star and thank the 16 ahead of you!

that is called a "falling" Star. :)

Oviedo
04-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Was Star's heart issue from the combine resolved? Wonder if that is scaring people and causing him to drop?

phillyesq
04-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Was Star's heart issue from the combine resolved? Wonder if that is scaring people and causing him to drop?

I believe that he has since been medically cleared.

Nice work in this thread, Captain Lemming!!

Captain Lemming
04-25-2013, 04:45 PM

Star is so awesome he doesnt need a heart.
His blood flows out of pure fear of what he would do to each cell should they be caught by him doing nothing.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-25-2013, 06:41 PM
ziggy hood stinks.

arguing otherwise is funny.

flippy
04-25-2013, 07:17 PM
ziggy hood stinks.

arguing otherwise is funny.

Drafting a 3-4 DE in the first round stinks. All of these guys take a while to develop. It's probably the hardest position to play for the Steelers. So I think it makes a lot more sense to get these guys in the later rounds and give them time to develop.

I remember when folks didn't think Keisel could hold the gap and play the run. He used to get pushed around far worse than Hood. And his game rounded out in about his 3rd year full time.

I agree for now and think it's horribly frustrating watching Hood get pushed around by 1 guy given that he's a first rounder that's supposed to be making a difference. But I'll give him this year as his make or break year after watching how long it took Keisel to develop into the position. And I do give Hood credit for working out hard. It's not like he's not succeeding because he's lazy in the offseason.

Rara
04-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Am I the only one that is getting nervous about the draft? I've been waiting for this day for months...but nervous about when the Steelers are up to draft.