PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bouchette said, one of these three could be Steelers pick @ 17

supersteeler
04-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Ed: Pick Should Be One of These 3 Wednesday, 24 April 2013 08:25 Written by Ed Bouchette Good morning,

From what I can determine, one or two of a trio of players the Steelers covet will find their way to No. 17 tomorrow night, provided they stay there and don’t swing a trade to move lower in the first round.
I’ve participated in two mock drafts and will do two more today, one for ESPN-TV (I’m scheduled to be on at 11:40 this morning) and one I’ll put together for Thursday’s Post-Gazette.
You’ll have to wait until I make the pick for ESPN, but in the previous two mocks, I chose two different players. In a mock for CBS, I chose Jarvis Jones. In the beat writers’ mock that took all day yesterday to go through the first round, I chose Tyler Eifert after the Saints took Jones at No. 15. In the CBS mock, the Saints took Kenny Vaccaro.
Judging by that, you might think I will pick Jones in my PG mock for Thursday. Maybe, but that mock isn’t what I would pick, or the player I think the Steelers should pick, it’s my prediction about who I think every team will pick. And if I think the Saints will choose Jones as a longtime writer in New Orleans selected for them yesterday, then I’m not going to pick him for the Steelers.
Do I think the Steelers should pick Jones over Eifert or Vaccaro, the third player I believe they would gladly take in the first round? I don’t really know or care that much, I’m just trying to figure out who they will take. I do believe they like Jones better than Eifert or Vaccaro, so if all three dropped to them, I think that’s how they’d go. I’m not SURE that’s how they’d go, but based on how they play, equal talent at outside linebacker should trump equal talent at tight end and/or safety.
But let’s make a case for all three:
--- Jones could be that rare outside linebacker who defies Kevin Colbert and makes an impact immediately in their defense. I thought LaMarr Woodley did that as a rookie too but he did not start, they pretty much used him only in certain pass rush situations. Jones would compete with Jason Worilds on the right outside to start and he would give them depth at a vital position in which they have little.
--- Eifert also could start immediately at tight end while Heath Miller heals, however long it takes. Once Miller is healthy, there’s nothing wrong with having two tall tight ends capable of becoming main targets in the Steelers passing game. Drafting Eifert also would take the pressure off getting a top wide receiver high in this draft. With those two, Ben Roethlisberger would have all kinds of choices when he drops back. And who knows if Miller, who turns 31 in October, will ever be the same after he tore his ACL, MCL and PCL in the 15th game. --- Vaccaro would be the heir apparent at one of the two safety positions, and the Steelers need two of them. Troy Polamalu is 32 and played only seven games last season because of a calf injury. Ryan Clark turns 34 in October. They also have no one behind them after Ryan Mundy and Will Allen left as free agents. Vaccaro could put in a year as a backup, as Polamalu did as a rookie, and step in to start next season.
Those are the three players I think have the best chance to be taken by the Steelers Thursday night, but they can only take one.

Rara
04-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Give me jarvis jones!!

Oviedo
04-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Eifert "Tower" please

Shawn
04-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Yep, Ed nailed it. I would add Lacy as the dark horse to that group, especially if they trade down.

blacknblue80s
04-24-2013, 01:00 PM
I'd be happy with any of those 3.

It's strange that there hasn't been any signs that the Steelers have any interest in Eifert, despite the fact that he makes a ton of sense.

grotonsteel
04-24-2013, 02:39 PM
I would prefer Jarvis Jones of those three...instant impact.

Some drafts have Eifert going to Browns at #7.. BTW did Steelers interviewed Eifert or shown any interest in him??

phillyesq
04-24-2013, 02:58 PM
I would be surprised if it was Eifert. Early on, I liked Vaccaro as the pick, but the more I've read, I'd probably be the most displeased if he was the guy, especially with the safety depth in this draft.

Oviedo
04-24-2013, 03:58 PM
I'd be happy with any of those 3.

It's strange that there hasn't been any signs that the Steelers have any interest in Eifert, despite the fact that he makes a ton of sense.

Which is exactly why I think he is the pick

pittpete
04-24-2013, 03:59 PM
I go Eifert

blacknblue80s
04-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Which is exactly why I think he is the pick
I hope you're right.

I think the Saints are likely to pick Jones at 15 and the Rams could very likely take Vaccarro at 16.

supersteeler
04-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Gerry: Brown, Werner could be surprise Steelers picks Wednesday, 24 April 2013 16:57 Written by Gerry Dulac The Steelers go into tomorrow’s NFL draft with any number of four or five players who they think will be within their reach at No. 17.

Among those are tight end Tyler Eifert, wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson, outside linebacker Jarvis Jones and safety Kenny Vaccaro. You can even throw in running back Eddie Lacy.

To me, Eifert was the best player I saw at the NFL combine in February and, since then, have advocated the Steelers picking him in the first round.

First and foremost, the Steelers need more receiving threats to surround Ben Roethlisberger and Eifert might be the best of them all. Sure, he is not going to replace Mike Wallace, but let’s face it – Todd Haley’s offense is not the best fit for Mike Wallace.

Having Wallace run underneath routes or curl patterns is not the best way to employ him. Wallace and his speed are best suited for an outside, over-the-top type of attack, like the Steelers had with Bruce Arians.

But they don’t play that way with Haley, who likes to keep the ball in the middle of the field and usually underneath the deep coverage. That fits perfectly with Eifert, who could be paired in combo with Heath Miller and give the Steelers two big, sure-handed receivers in the middle of the field.
That being said, I want to alert you to two players who could be surprise picks on the first round for the Steelers:

Inside linebacker Arthur Brown of Kansas State.

And defensive end Bjoern Werner of Florida State.

The Steelers love Brown, who could be the most athletic defensive player in the draft. He was a middle linebacker at K-State and that’s where the Steelers see him as well, even though a lot of draft boards list him as an outside linebacker.

The Steelers thought they found a replacement for James Farrior last year when they drafted Miami’s Sean Spence on the third round, but Spence may never play football again because of a severe knee injury suffered last preseason. It’s the reason they had to re-sign veteran Larry Foote for another season.

Werner was projected as a top 10 pick at the combine, one of the best 4-3 defensive ends. But, for some reason, he has been dropping in a lot of mock drafts.

Still, the Steelers saw enough athleticism and agility in Werner to convince them he could play at outside linebacker. He is rangy at 6-3, 261, and can pressure off the edge – something the Steelers have been lacking since the middle of the 2011 season.

So, if you looking for two surprise picks for the Steelers, remember those players.

Tyler Eifert @ 17

Sugar
04-24-2013, 09:20 PM
Mayock has Eifert going to the Jets at #13.

Chadman
04-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Chadman thinks it's down to 4 guys- 5 if Rhodes falls-

Jarvis Jones, Cordarelle Patterson, Arthur Brown & yes, Bjoern Werner.

Chadman assumes that Jones & Patterson both fit under Colbert's "8 special players" list, while Brown reminds Chadman if Timmons. Werner is on the list because the Steelers are VERY good at picking up a player who falls & presents great value.

Safety is too deep to select Vacarro, who isn't significantly better than the next 4-5 Safety options.

Eifert is a board favourite, and looks a good player, but like OG, TE is not a premium pick. Both the OG's will slide, and the #1 TE will go in the late 20's-early 30's, as usual.

Slapstick
04-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Eifert is a board favourite, and looks a good player, but like OG, TE is not a premium pick. Both the OG's will slide, and the #1 TE will go in the late 20's-early 30's, as usual.

It is if you have the right TE and use him properly...

steelblood
04-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Once again, Ed writes an article that any casual fan with a computer could write. Look at the mocks. Those three players (and perhaps Patterson) are the main guys mocked to the Steelers. Thanks again, Ed. Can't wait for more of his "chats"!

supersteeler
04-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Mayock has Eifert going to the Jets at #13.

That's where I think he will land. I was hoping he's on the board when we pick as I think he could contribute early and feel he could make the transition to the NFL without issue.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-25-2013, 09:05 AM
That's where I think he will land. I was hoping he's on the board when we pick as I think he could contribute early and feel he could make the transition to the NFL without issue.

Things could get interesting. The 49ers have 14 picks and according to Mooch none of their draft class started a game last year or scored a TD. One of the teams interested in coming up. They have a deep full roster and limited room for rookies. They are one of the teams that have the firepower to land where ever they want. They could shuffle the cards really quickly if they come up for Eifert, Austin, or Vacarro. May be looking to get in front of Dolphins(12) -Jets(13)- to back in front of Cowboys(18 )-Rams(22). Falcons also looking for a Julio Jones trade up to land a CB or DE. I bet the Steelers would like to take some of those picks off their hands.

supersteeler
04-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Things could get interesting. The 49ers have 14 picks and according to Mooch none of their draft class started a game last year or scored a TD. One of the teams interested in coming up. They have a deep full roster and limited room for rookies. They are one of the teams that have the firepower to land where ever they want. They could shuffle the cards really quickly if they come up for Eifert, Austin, or Vacarro. May be looking to get in front of Dolphins(12) -Jets(13)- to back in front of Cowboys(18 )-Rams(22). Falcons also looking for a Julio Jones trade up to land a CB or DE. I bet the Steelers would like to take some of those picks off their hands.

I heard the same thing about San Fran and Atlanta about moving up, so yes it should be interesting as the evening moves forward.

thor75
04-25-2013, 09:42 AM

If the CBs start to fall, unfortunately, that may take Atlanta out of the trade picture. Unless they are really in love with one of those guys. If for some instance all 3 top CBs are there at 17, maybe they just wait to see who falls. Denver and New England may be in line for a CB, but the Patsys like Jamar Taylor from what I've read. That would still leave a nice selection of CBs for Atlanta to choose from.

legend of polamalu
04-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Ed doesn't haven't a clue who the Steelers will pick? You really think he has inside info and if he did he would pass it along to us? His guess is as good as anyone's on this board.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2013, 10:26 AM
If the CBs start to fall, unfortunately, that may take Atlanta out of the trade picture. Unless they are really in love with one of those guys. If for some instance all 3 top CBs are there at 17, maybe they just wait to see who falls. Denver and New England may be in line for a CB, but the Patsys like Jamar Taylor from what I've read. That would still leave a nice selection of CBs for Atlanta to choose from.

If all 3 top CBs are there at 17, I just take Milliner without even thinking about trade down scenarios. We need an heir apparent for Ike, who's aging and whose price tag will be rising next year (possible cap cut next offseason).

Chadman
04-25-2013, 10:59 AM
It is if you have the right TE and use him properly...

No- not 'premium player', 'Premium Pick'. Traditionally, TE's go no higher than late in the 1st round. Same with OG's.

There's very few people suggesting that Warmack & Cooper are not within the top 15 players of this draft, however there are very few saying either will be gone by pick #15. It's not to do with talent, it's the value placed on the position. TE is the same.

feltdizz
04-25-2013, 11:02 AM
No- not 'premium player', 'Premium Pick'. Traditionally, TE's go no higher than late in the 1st round. Same with OG's.

There's very few people suggesting that Warmack & Cooper are not within the top 15 players of this draft, however there are very few saying either will be gone by pick #15. It's not to do with talent, it's the value placed on the position. TE is the same.

After the combine Steeler fans put MAXIMUM value on the TE position.... it's now rated higher than franchise QB.

Chadman
04-25-2013, 11:24 AM
After the combine Steeler fans put MAXIMUM value on the TE position.... it's now rated higher than franchise QB.

Maybe the Steelers should put a package together & move up to secure him?

Keyplay1
04-25-2013, 11:45 AM
I heard the same thing about San Fran and Atlanta about moving up, so yes it should be interesting as the evening moves forward.

I have joined up with the group that has landed on X-man Rhodes. Even though this is not a #1 or even #2 priority position. So what! Down the road a player of this caliber is the type championship teams must have.

Anyway, last week I participated in a mock draft that for me was a new idea. It was simply based on the 7 rd mock draft of Walters football.[any 7rd mock would work] And all you had to do was either accept their pick or make one of your own at 17 48 79 etc.

What I liked about this idea was it really simulated the feel of a real draft. After you picked in any given round then 31 players were gone before you chose again.

Then if you did not agree with the pick made in the next round you of course had the option of taking any one of the available players on the board. It really was as close to a real draft as anything I had seen before.

What I did , since Rhodes in this mock was gone earlier than 17, was make one of the SF trades someone had suggested in another thread. This made Lacy available in rd2 at 34 and he was taken. Anyhow it came out like this and this is my mock for TS.

1. 17 Took Blitzburgh34 trade with SF idea, since Rhodes was gone and just could not take another OG now.

2 34 RB Eddie Lacy 46

2 48 WR Markus Wheaton 59 WR Terrance Williams 78 replaces MkW

2 61 OLB/DE Jamie Collins 70

3 79 SS Shamarko Thomas 79

4 114 CB Will Davis 120 --Tharold Simon 125 and Sam Montgomery 134 are still there?

5 150 WR Josh Boyce 150

6 186 TE Joseph Fauria 196 DT Nick Williams 188 [don't we get 2 picks rd6?

Thats about it. There was no 7thrd. I probably would have taken RB Rex Burkhead if he was there.

btw: after the fact, I changed pick 48 to TW. ?? Don't ask?

SteelerOfDeVille
04-25-2013, 03:01 PM
i like the first and 3rd... still don't understand why you'd draft a half-season starter to become a backup when heath heals... and if you want a Tall WR with hands, Ertz is a better receiver...

phillyesq
04-25-2013, 03:06 PM
If all 3 top CBs are there at 17, I just take Milliner without even thinking about trade down scenarios. We need an heir apparent for Ike, who's aging and whose price tag will be rising next year (possible cap cut next offseason).

Ruthless, I agree.

steelz09
04-25-2013, 03:25 PM

IMO, I think that could happen... because of the 5 surgeries. Just a hunch.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2013, 03:49 PM
IMO, I think that could happen... because of the 5 surgeries. Just a hunch.

I even suggested trading up for Milliner in another thread if the price was reasonable (i.e. I'm not parting with my 2nd round pick in a draft that would appear to have a loaded 2nd round). Dee Milliner and Cortez Allen would be an impressive young CB pair going forward if we are unable to afford Ike after this season. His past surgeries don't scare me...I think he only missed 1 games in his career at Alabama. And if his labrum prevents him from being ready for training camp so be it...we're fine with Ike, Tez, & Gay now...this would be a pick for 2014...as Colbert said, any productivity as a rookie is a bonus.

phillyesq
04-25-2013, 04:09 PM
I even suggested trading up for Milliner in another thread if the price was reasonable (i.e. I'm not parting with my 2nd round pick in a draft that would appear to have a loaded 2nd round). Dee Milliner and Cortez Allen would be an impressive young CB pair going forward if we are unable to afford Ike after this season. His past surgeries don't scare me...I think he only missed 1 games in his career at Alabama. And if his labrum prevents him from being ready for training camp so be it...we're fine with Ike, Tez, & Gay now...this would be a pick for 2014...as Colbert said, any productivity as a rookie is a bonus.

Not only would it be a pick for 2014, but even late this season, I could see Ike, Allen and Milliner as a great top 3.

supersteeler
04-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Mr. Ed forgot about Xavier Rhodes, I hear he is a target for Miami but if they select someone else he could be there for us for another consideration.

BigRob
04-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Mr. Ed forgot about Xavier Rhodes, I hear he is a target for Miami but if they select someone else he could be there for us for another consideration.

This is who I predict the Steelers will pick. CB is a bigger need than people think for this club.