PDA

View Full Version : It's a no-brainer! If Jarvis Jones is there at 17, he will be highest rated on...

Dee Dub
04-23-2013, 11:27 PM
..the Steelers board. I believe he will be at least the 5th best overall player on their entire board. And to have him there at 17 is an easy pick. He is the best defensive football player in this draft, he is a big time play maker, he fills a major position of need, and as a defensive player in this draft, he is the most NFL ready. A couple months ago I said no way does he make it out of the top 5. Well it sounds as if that is going to happen. In fact if he makes it past New Orleans at 15, he is going to be a Steeler. And this is going to be huge. As a result I have modified my Steeler mock draft. I would not have a problem with them going LB, LB with Jones and Sio Moore 1 and 2 but I think they will go with Jesse Williams instead.

birtikidis
04-23-2013, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't mind Jones in the first. Not my first pick but I'd like it. I'd also be pretty stoked if Minter fell to us in the second. I don't think he would, but I'd love to see Ovi in meltdown mode

Dee Dub
04-23-2013, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't mind Jones in the first. Not my first pick but I'd like it. I'd also be pretty stoked if Minter fell to us in the second. I don't think he would, but I'd love to see Ovi in meltdown mode

I would rather have Sio Moore over Kevin Minter and I was the guy pimping Minter back in October. Sio Moore can play all LB positions in a 3-4 He can cover, he strong, he is quick/fast, and he has mean streak. Add his size (height and weight) and her minds me of.........hmmmmm?...Oh yeah, James Harrison. ;)

Eddie Spaghetti
04-23-2013, 11:48 PM
I could live with jarvis jones in the 1st and eric reid in the 2nd.

Captain Lemming
04-23-2013, 11:55 PM
If one of the two top guards (Warmack or Cooper) falls (unlikely) I take them, even though we have invested a lot in oline lately.
An interior line with Pouncey, DeCastro and one of those rooks would be scary good.

If they are gone as I expect, I would definately go Jones

Chadman
04-23-2013, 11:56 PM
From a value standpoint alone, it's hard to argue against Jarvis Jones. What it means for the Steelers OLB's in future years is yet to be decided, however...

Captain Lemming
04-23-2013, 11:59 PM
From a value standpoint alone, it's hard to argue against Jarvis Jones. What it means for the Steelers OLB's in future years is yet to be decided, however...

I say the two guards are "cant miss" prospects more than Jones is.
I know BOTH might be gone but two guards that early is unheard of.
I would not be shocked if one was there.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-24-2013, 12:46 AM
What, no mention of Eifert in this thread? :lol:

Captain Lemming
04-24-2013, 01:04 AM
What, no mention of Eifert in this thread? :lol:

I think it just happened.
THANKS for making sure EVERY thread mentioed him. :)

flippy
04-24-2013, 01:18 AM
I love watching Jones play and he looks like the perfect ROLB which we don't have. But something tells me he might not be the pick because of his age/health.

What I do know is it's gonna be interesting to see who's on the board when we pick. I'm kinda expecting the unexpected.

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2013, 03:53 AM
Jarvis Jones says Pittsburgh would be a “great place to play”

Posted by Mike Florio on April 23, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/jones.jpg?w=250

Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones wants to develop a speed bull rush, like the move used by former Steelers (now Bengals) linebacker James Harrison.

And that could be useful for Jones, since plenty of people think he could be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh. So does Jones, who talked about the possibility on Tuesday’s PFT Live.

“If the Steelers took me, it’d be a great place to play,” Jones said. “I love playing in the 3-4 system. I definitely understand a lot concepts and the things that they do up there, being that I played in the 3-4 system. I mean, it wouldn’t be much of a transition from the scheme part, but I think the Steelers are a great place to play especially on defense. . . . Whoever picks me I think I’m gonna take full advantage of it and sacrifice everything to be great.”

The current buzz is that the Steelers are Jones’ floor, at No. 17 in round one. His ceiling is believed to No. 9 or No. 13 because, yes, there’s increasing chatter that the Jets could take him.

Some wonder whether the Saints would make a play for Jones at No. 15. If that’s what they’re planning, folks in position to know are picking up no indications that it could happen.

In a couple of days, we’ll find out what actually does happen.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/jarvis-jones-says-pittsburgh-would-be-a-great-place-to-play/

phillyesq
04-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Jones is kind of reminding me of Branden Albert - a guy that many wanted early in the process, that some soured on during the process, and that ultimately ended up being off the board when the Steelers picked.

I do have some questions about his size, but his production really does speak for itself. I have no strong feelings on Jones either way - I'm fine if he is the pick and fine if they go in a different direction.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-24-2013, 08:16 AM
If one of the two top guards (Warmack or Cooper) falls (unlikely) I take them, even though we have invested a lot in oline lately.
An interior line with Pouncey, DeCastro and one of those rooks would be scary good.

If they are gone as I expect, I would definately go Jones

I agree. I think the drop off from the two Gs to Jones is significant. I would just hope somebody else graded in between then would still be there.

Shawn
04-24-2013, 08:24 AM
I agree Dubs, unless a guy like Milliner falls...and even if he does fall the Steelers might have Jones rated higher...he is that good. I truly believe Jones will be the best pass rusher out of this class.

Oviedo
04-24-2013, 09:24 AM

Why do you think I would meltdown? If we pick Jones, the moment he becomes a Steeler I'm his biggest fan. I just think there is a whole bunch of risk associated with him, but sacking the QB is what I think a defense must do first and foremost. If he can do that great.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-24-2013, 09:35 AM
I would rather have Sio Moore over Kevin Minter and I was the guy pimping Minter back in October. Sio Moore can play all LB positions in a 3-4 He can cover, he strong, he is quick/fast, and he has mean streak. Add his size (height and weight) and her minds me of.........hmmmmm?...Oh yeah, James Harrison. ;)

I'm with you on Sio Moore. He moves alot like Timmons and covers very well.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-24-2013, 09:38 AM
..the Steelers board. I believe he will be at least the 5th best overall player on their entire board. And to have him there at 17 is an easy pick. He is the best defensive football player in this draft, he is a big time play maker, he fills a major position of need, and as a defensive player in this draft, he is the most NFL ready. A couple months ago I said no way does he make it out of the top 5. Well it sounds as if that is going to happen. In fact if he makes it past New Orleans at 15, he is going to be a Steeler. And this is going to be huge. As a result I have modified my Steeler mock draft. I would not have a problem with them going LB, LB with Jones and Sio Moore 1 and 2 but I think they will go with Jesse Williams instead.

I think that statement is scenario related. I have many rated higher than Jones and if one is there I would go with the BPA. Is it possible that Jones will be the BPA? Absolutely...But like I said...Scenario driven.

thor75
04-24-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm thinking he goes to the Jets, even with all the Mingo love there.

Sugar
04-24-2013, 10:35 AM
I don't have a big feeling about Jones, but I really would prefer Offense first. Yes, I know that this is the D's year. However, I still think that the D is a top 10 D even with the losses we've had in the offseason. The O has struggled as a second tier unit that already lost the #1 RB, #1 WR and the #1 TE will be out half the year. I just think that Offense is needed more.

That said, even though I scratch my head at some choices, I trust the FO to make the right call. If the choices is Jones, Mingo or some other D player then so be it.

Slapstick
04-24-2013, 10:41 AM
I don't have a big feeling about Jones, but I really would prefer Offense first. Yes, I know that this is the D's year. However, I still think that the D is a top 10 D even with the losses we've had in the offseason. The O has struggled as a second tier unit that already lost the #1 RB, #1 WR and the #1 TE will be out half the year. I just think that Offense is needed more.

That said, even though I scratch my head at some choices, I trust the FO to make the right call. If the choices is Jones, Mingo or some other D player then so be it.

I don't want them to draft offense for the sake of doing so...

I want them to take the BPA...

Sugar
04-24-2013, 11:13 AM
I don't want them to draft offense for the sake of doing so...

I want them to take the BPA...

I see what you're saying and I agree. I just think that they can find BPA on the Offensive side of the ball.

Shoe
04-24-2013, 11:15 AM

You're CRAZY. I would be happy if we got Eifert, or AUSTIN, or even one of those Guards that we don't need, but I really don't think it can be argued that O is our bigger need. Our D may be ranked #1, but anyone who watched this team over the past couple years can see the huge deficiency when it comes to playmaking (on our D). The onus for that, must be taken off the shoulders of guys like Polamalu (thereby relieving pressure off him and making him more productive again). We need an injection of youth on D.

birtikidis
04-24-2013, 11:35 AM
honestly i'd rather have Vacarro, Jones or one of the guards and then take Ertz/minter in the second.I really don't think that Eifert is the guy that I would take....

Slapstick
04-24-2013, 11:55 AM
I see what you're saying and I agree. I just think that they can find BPA on the Offensive side of the ball.

If a guy like Milliner is available (as projected in at least one mock), I would have to disagree...

Rara
04-24-2013, 01:07 PM

Notable offensive gems after the first round (starting at 2004):

Second round: Ray Rice, RB; Baltimore. Vincent Jackson, WR; San Diego. Greg Jennings, WR; Green Bay. Matt Forte, RB; Chicago, DeSean Jackson, WR; Philadelphia. Rob Gronkowski, TE; New England

Third round: Chris Cooley, TE; Washington. Jacoby Jones, WR; Houston. Jamaal Charles, RB; Kansas City. Jimmy Graham, TE; New Orleans.

Fourth round: Marion Barber, RB. Dallas. Owen Daniels, TE; Houston. Brandon Marshall, WR; Denver. Aaron Hernandez, TE; New England.

Fifth round:Michael Turner, RB; Atlanta. Johnny Knox, WR; Chicago.

Sixth round: Antonio Brown, WR; Pittsburgh

Seventh round: Marques Colston, WR; New Orleans.
=================================================

See what I'm getting at, buddy?

Dee Dub
04-24-2013, 01:11 PM
I love watching Jones play and he looks like the perfect ROLB which we don't have. But something tells me he might not be the pick because of his age/health.

What I do know is it's gonna be interesting to see who's on the board when we pick. I'm kinda expecting the unexpected.

Age not a factor for the Steelers. He is actually one month younger than was Casey Hampton when he was drafted. And he has been medically cleared several times.

feltdizz
04-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Notable offensive gems after the first round (starting at 2004):

Second round: Ray Rice, RB; Baltimore. Vincent Jackson, WR; San Diego. Greg Jennings, WR; Green Bay. Matt Forte, RB; Chicago, DeSean Jackson, WR; Philadelphia. Rob Gronkowski, TE; New England

Third round: Chris Cooley, TE; Washington. Jacoby Jones, WR; Houston. Jamaal Charles, RB; Kansas City. Jimmy Graham, TE; New Orleans.

Fourth round: Marion Barber, RB. Dallas. Owen Daniels, TE; Houston. Brandon Marshall, WR; Denver. Aaron Hernandez, TE; New England.

Fifth round:Michael Turner, RB; Atlanta. Johnny Knox, WR; Chicago.

Sixth round: Antonio Brown, WR; Pittsburgh

Seventh round: Marques Colston, WR; New Orleans.
=================================================

See what I'm getting at, buddy?

I see it and I agree... people act like you must pick Eifert in the first or all is lost on offense. We can get a LB or Safety in the first... then stack up on O in the latter rounds.

Eifert is not THAT much better than Ertz or Escobar...

I also forgot about the RB from Stanford... there are tons of weapons in laters rounds for the O so I have no problem going D in round 1. However, I will be furious if we go heavy on D this year.

Sugar
04-24-2013, 02:26 PM
You're CRAZY. I would be happy if we got Eifert, or AUSTIN, or even one of those Guards that we don't need, but I really don't think it can be argued that O is our bigger need. Our D may be ranked #1, but anyone who watched this team over the past couple years can see the huge deficiency when it comes to playmaking (on our D). The onus for that, must be taken off the shoulders of guys like Polamalu (thereby relieving pressure off him and making him more productive again). We need an injection of youth on D.

I've been on this board for almost as long as you and you're just now figuring that out? ;)

That said, the Offense was mediocre at best last year and has had a blood-letting of starting talent in the off-season. IMO, the D would still be top 10 this year even if we didn't pick a single defensive player in this draft. I'm not advocating that, I'm just saying that I would be fine with using the premium picks for guys that make this Offense hum. While we need some depth, we don't really need big uglies like we have in the past. We need weapons, IMO.

This year seems to be the Defenses turn to get the top pick, and I can be cool with that. It's not like Colbert is calling me for advice or anything.

birtikidis
04-24-2013, 02:40 PM
I've been on this board for almost as long as you and you're just now figuring that out? ;)

That said, the Offense was mediocre at best last year and has had a blood-letting of starting talent in the off-season. IMO, the D would still be top 10 this year even if we didn't pick a single defensive player in this draft. I'm not advocating that, I'm just saying that I would be fine with using the premium picks for guys that make this Offense hum. While we need some depth, we don't really need big uglies like we have in the past. We need weapons, IMO.

This year seems to be the Defenses turn to get the top pick, and I can be cool with that. It's not like Colbert is calling me for advice or anything.
Other than Wallace what impact starter have we let walk? Mendenhall was a guy we benched. His only impact is his dance ability, foot in mouth remarks, and fumbling. I don't see any players with any sort of impact, other than wallace, that left. I like taking a playmaking TE. Just not so much in the first. I don't see a huge separation between Eifert and Ertz. On defense I'd say we've had a blood letting. And I'd also say that AGE is catching up to us. Lewis, Jimmy Hate, and snack were all starters. Letting our top two backups at safety walk means we're one injury away from Robert Golden at safety.
That's why I'm actually hoping for a Vacarro, Minter, Kelce, McCray (OLB from UF), Lattimore kind of draft.

grotonsteel
04-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Other than Wallace what impact starter have we let walk? Mendenhall was a guy we benched. His only impact is his dance ability, foot in mouth remarks, and fumbling. I don't see any players with any sort of impact, other than wallace, that left. I like taking a playmaking TE. Just not so much in the first. I don't see a huge separation between Eifert and Ertz. On defense I'd say we've had a blood letting. And I'd also say that AGE is catching up to us. Lewis, Jimmy Hate, and snack were all starters. Letting our top two backups at safety walk means we're one injury away from Robert Golden at safety.
That's why I'm actually hoping for a Vacarro, Minter, Kelce, McCray (OLB from UF), Lattimore kind of draft.

McCray is James harrison clone. I hope Steelers draft him.

Sugar
04-24-2013, 04:30 PM

On D we do need depth and there looks to be plenty of that in the later rounds. There are younger players ready to take the job from those that are now departed from the team. That doesn't seem to be the case on Offense.

Had Mendy been healthy to start the year he would have been the unquestioned starting RB. He was the best on the team no matter what the message board coaches say. Now we are down the best WR and RB from an 8-8 team. Add to that that we probably don't have our top TE (and one of Ben's favorite weapons) for half the year. This is from a team that was 8-8 and all the best weapons outside of the QB himself are gone.

There may not be a big dropoff between Eifert and the others, but there seems to be a reason why most respected draft experts view him as the unquestioned best TE in this draft and the only one with a first round grade. The reasons for taking him are legion and you can find those on about half the other threads on this board. I won't rehash them.

Either way, I don't see any outrage on my part because of anyone that they pick this year.

birtikidis
04-25-2013, 08:43 AM
We don't need depth. We need guys that can start in less than a year. Troy and Ryan are on the last leg of their career. Foote is ready to put out to pasture. Using a guy like McLendon to follow up Hampton is a joke.

We had ONE consistent starter on offense to leave. ONE. Mendenhall would not have been the unquestioned starter or else he would never have been BENCHED last year. He has never been CONSISTENT. Miller won't miss more than a couple games so drafting a TE because he's hurt is reactionary at best and idiotic. I can see drafting Eifert IF you want to make the TE the centerpiece of our offense, but show me ONE example of our coaching staff going in that direction. I personally would love to see us utilize our TE's similar in fashion to the *'s offense, I just don't see it happening. All we'll get is Miller lining up in the back field, Ben dropping back and overlooking the dump off guy, and throwing the long ball.

Sugar
04-25-2013, 11:19 AM
We don't need depth. We need guys that can start in less than a year. Troy and Ryan are on the last leg of their career. Foote is ready to put out to pasture. Using a guy like McLendon to follow up Hampton is a joke.

We had ONE consistent starter on offense to leave. ONE. Mendenhall would not have been the unquestioned starter or else he would never have been BENCHED last year. He has never been CONSISTENT. Miller won't miss more than a couple games so drafting a TE because he's hurt is reactionary at best and idiotic. I can see drafting Eifert IF you want to make the TE the centerpiece of our offense, but show me ONE example of our coaching staff going in that direction. I personally would love to see us utilize our TE's similar in fashion to the *'s offense, I just don't see it happening. All we'll get is Miller lining up in the back field, Ben dropping back and overlooking the dump off guy, and throwing the long ball.

Obviously, we see things very differently. From everything I've seen, Miller will probably miss half the year. Heck, it could be argued that Mendy came back too early from his injuries and wasn't the same. Do we really want to chance that with our top TE as well?

IMO, the D could draft NO ONE and still be top 10 this year. Any players they get added into the draft just provide depth and a possible starter in the future. Again, I'm not advocating that. My only caveat would be if Star drops. If he is available at #17, I would want him no matter who else is on the board.