PDA

View Full Version : At this point, the one potential 1st round player I don't want drafted is...

D Rock
04-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Everyone feel free to fill in the rest of that sentence.

For me....

Cordarelle Patterson.

Body catches just about everything, and put up all his stats against the worst teams. Also had top notch guys around him to draw other coverage, making those poor games look even worse.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/532092/cordarrelle-patterson

I see no reason why this guy is considered a 1st round player, much less a top 20 guy.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-21-2013, 12:57 PM
I agree. I also would not condone Lacey for those considering it.

Chucktownsteeler
04-21-2013, 01:02 PM
For me:

Tyler Eifert

or

Cordorelle Patterson

or

Man-Ti Tao

Please do not draft any of the above mentioned in the first round.

Shoe
04-21-2013, 01:51 PM
I agree. I also would not condone Lacey for those considering it.

I guess I would say Lacy.

BUT... at this point, if they honestly took Eddie Lacy, I think I would convince myself and eventually learn to love it (i.e. hype him incessantly to my non-Steeler friends) and here's why: EVERYONE and their mother knows that RBs are $.10/dozen. So if the FO chose to take him, it would lead me to think that he is something very special--worthy to spend a 1st on when we can get value way down the board. It would say to me that they think the guy is a (e.g.) young Emmitt Smith or something.

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Mendenhall was abused by fans for his reliance on the spin move...he became Spindenhall. Well, Lacy uses the spin move more than Mendenhall ever did. I think he's more in the Mark Ingram mold of benefitting from a dominant Bama OL in college (but then behind Sproles, Thomas, and Ivory in the pros), than a special back in his own right like Trent Richardson.

flippy
04-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Honey Badger or Tavon or any other talented midget

Shawn
04-21-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm open to anyone, but I would prefer to stay away from the OG, ILB, DB, OT, and WR positions. I'm hoping for Jones or Vacarro.

DukieBoy
04-21-2013, 03:39 PM
The best safety on the board, because of need, and to keep him out of Baltimore.

Chadman
04-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Chadman is pretty sure he'll find the good in just about whoever the Steelers pick.

that said, it'll be harder to find the positives if the Steelers draft..

Tyler Eifert, Eddie Lacy or Keenan Allen.

Not sure any of these guys are 'special'.

pittpete
04-21-2013, 10:49 PM
I hope we stay away from Jones.

Rara
04-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Eifert, Allen, Patterson, Lacy or Hunter. We don't need a tight end, running back or wide receiver in the first...tons of gems later on in the draft.

SteelBucks
04-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Anyone who plays for Notre Dame.

hawaiiansteel
04-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Anyone who plays for Notre Dame.

very well put! :Clap

thor75
04-21-2013, 11:28 PM
At this point, the one potential 1st round player I don't want drafted is...

Jones
Lacy
Patterson
Vaccaro
Any DE

papillon
04-22-2013, 06:41 AM
Any player in the first round...

Trade 1.17 to Miami for 2.42, 2.54, 4.111 and 5.146

Pappy

calmkiller
04-22-2013, 07:39 AM
At this point, the one potential 1st round player I don't want drafted is...

Jones
Lacy
Patterson
Vaccaro
Any DE

I agree with this

Pappy

And this.

Oviedo
04-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Jarvis Jones (Can you say Vernon Gholston)

Tavon Austin (No Smurfs in Round 1 please)

D Rock
04-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Jarvis Jones (Can you say Vernon Gholston)

Tavon Austin (No Smurfs in Round 1 please)

Jones is pretty much the opposite of Gholston. Not sure where that comparison is coming from.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-22-2013, 08:45 AM

Pappy

Interesting....Is there any indication at all that Miami would be willing to make that deal?

grotonsteel
04-22-2013, 09:06 AM
I don't want Steelers draft a RB,TE or ILB or Safety at #17

Stay away from Lacy, Eifert, Manti Teo and Vaccaro at 1.17

steelblood
04-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Mingo-even with great talent around him, he didn't produce much at all.

Vaccaro-overrated. he makes an art out of whiffing.

steelz09
04-22-2013, 09:58 AM
I know this is more than one but...

Austin, Mingo, Patterson and Vaccaro.

I think Mingo is a better athlete than football player.

Patterson is not proven enough IMO and he catches the ball with his body the majority of the time.

This is a deep safety draft and I don't see Vacarro being that much better to warrant such a higher pick compared to the others.

I want a wide out compared to a slot receiver. Austin is a weapon.. no doubt about it and he could create various match up problems but I really think we need a outside receiver.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-22-2013, 10:20 AM
I can only pick one?

It would be Jones.

papillon
04-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Interesting....Is there any indication at all that Miami would be willing to make that deal?

Not that I know of, but I do know they have the following picks, 1.12, 2.42, 2.54, 3.77, 3.82, 4.111 and 5.146 and they signed Mike Wallace, so to me it looks like they're trying to make a splash. With picks 1.12 and 1.17, plus premium picks 3.77 and 3.82 and Wallace they could really get the fan base excited. I just think at this point the Dolphins are looking to really be a force in this draft, 2 first round picks and 2 third round picks, plus Wallace could do the trick. The Steelers get what many believe would be the best scenario and that is a lot of picks in the second and third rounds where the talent isn't that different from the talent at the mid-first and later.

Pappy

Captain Lemming
04-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Everyone feel free to fill in the rest of that sentence.

For me....

Cordarelle Patterson.

Body catches just about everything, and put up all his stats against the worst teams. Also had top notch guys around him to draw other coverage, making those poor games look even worse.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/532092/cordarrelle-patterson

I see no reason why this guy is considered a 1st round player, much less a top 20 guy.

Sounds EXACTLY LIKE .......Lynn Swann

RuthlessBurgher
04-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Sounds EXACTLY LIKE .......Lynn Swann

Swannie wasn't a top 20 guy...he was drafted with the 21st overall pick. :stirpot

phillyesq
04-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Patterson probably tops the list for me, followed closely by Lacy. Was not a fan of Patterson initially, and the article below makes me like the pick even less:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/tennessees-patterson-with-plenty-of-talent-and-question-marks-rt9i5uj-203524771.html

flippy
04-22-2013, 01:48 PM
I know no one seems to like Patterson, but I saw him play against NC State and he couldn't be covered. He took one of the best corners in the draft to school. I have no idea how good he'll be. But his potential is thru the roof. I bet Tomlin loves him.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Patterson scores an 11 & Autin scores a 7 on Wonderlic.

BTW...Past Wonderlic scores the article left out:
Morris Claiborne 4
AJ Green 10
Patrick Peterson 9
Frank Gore 6
Chris Johnson 10
Hakeem Nicks 11
Randy Moss 12
Percy Harvin 12
Ray Lewis 13

Captain Lemming
04-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Swannie wasn't a top 20 guy...he was drafted with the 21st overall pick. :stirpot

Nice.

Had we had the 17th pick we COULD HAVE PICKED Fred McNeill al LBer saving us both the mistake of picking Swann and the 2nd round blunder of being forced to go LBer (Jack Lambert) in round 2. :)

steelz09
04-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Patterson probably tops the list for me, followed closely by Lacy. Was not a fan of Patterson initially, and the article below makes me like the pick even less:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/tennessees-patterson-with-plenty-of-talent-and-question-marks-rt9i5uj-203524771.html

Yup.. There was several articles that surfaced which talked about his terrible team interviews and his football IQ.

Ghost
04-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Te'o. Don't want him in the Black and Gold.

Te'o is a tackling machine who has a knack for being in the right place. That's great. But that describes several other inside linebackers in this draft, several of whom can be had much later than Te'o. Though Brian Kelly disagrees, Te'o's performance in the national title game against Alabama should give NFL teams pause. For most of 2012, Te'o roamed relatively free because teams couldn't handle nose guard Louis Nix III and defensive end Stephon Tuitt up front. It's much easier to play linebacker when guards and centers can't get a clean shot because they're either still trying to double-team Nix at the point of attack or getting popped by Tuitt on their way to the second level. Alabama's line was so good that the Crimson Tide blockers could get a free run at Te'o, and he got erased.
Because the talent gaps are so much smaller in the NFL, it's unlikely Te'o will have a nose guard playing in front of him who is as dominant as Nix is against most of Notre Dame's opponents. (There's a reason Nix will be a top-10 pick in 2014.) If you're picking in the late first round and absolutely want an inside linebacker, consider LSU's Kevin Minter instead.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-nfl-draft/news/20130423/2013-nfl-draft-overrated-underrated/#ixzz2RJ1rH4D6

Captain Lemming
04-24-2013, 12:42 AM
Te'o. Don't want him in the Black and Gold.

Te'o is a tackling machine who has a knack for being in the right place. That's great. But that describes several other inside linebackers in this draft, several of whom can be had much later than Te'o. Though Brian Kelly disagrees, Te'o's performance in the national title game against Alabama should give NFL teams pause. For most of 2012, Te'o roamed relatively free because teams couldn't handle nose guard Louis Nix III and defensive end Stephon Tuitt up front. It's much easier to play linebacker when guards and centers can't get a clean shot because they're either still trying to double-team Nix at the point of attack or getting popped by Tuitt on their way to the second level. Alabama's line was so good that the Crimson Tide blockers could get a free run at Te'o, and he got erased.
Because the talent gaps are so much smaller in the NFL, it's unlikely Te'o will have a nose guard playing in front of him who is as dominant as Nix is against most of Notre Dame's opponents. (There's a reason Nix will be a top-10 pick in 2014.) If you're picking in the late first round and absolutely want an inside linebacker, consider LSU's Kevin Minter instead.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-nfl-draft/news/20130423/2013-nfl-draft-overrated-underrated/#ixzz2RJ1rH4D6

Given a "clean shot" by an olineman, how many Linebacker win THAT battle.
If an olineman routinely gets "free shots" at the mlber, the play is lost at the LOS when the dline cannot slow the blocker.

Given a "free shot", backup Doug Legursky would destroy Ray Lewis EASY.
THAT is why Ngata makes the big bucks.
In 2011 Ngata was the highest saleried athlete in team sports:

Total earnings: $37.3 million
Salary/winnings: $37.1 million
Endorsements: $200,000

Ngata earned $37.1 million in salary and bonuses from the Baltimore Ravens in 2011—more than any other athlete playing a team sport."

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2012/6/20/3099140/ravens-haloti-ngata-on-forbes-list-of-highest-paid-athletes

Yes, if Teos NFL dline is dominated like his was in the National Championship, he WILL struggle.
As would Patrick Willis or any other MLBer.