PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 1.17 becoming obvious

Coolie Man
04-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Looking at the offense and the lack of play makers and TD scorers the pick at 1.17 becomes obvious. I'm sure the Steelers would love to pick Tavon Austin. Too bad he won't be there. However the next man up without any major issues or concerns is Tyler Eifert. It's not real sexy but it fills a huge need for now with Heath out and for the future. I like it.

Big Ern McCracken
04-21-2013, 11:56 AM
I could see them picking worse. If they get TE in the 1st, hopefully they will spend the bulk of the next 3-4 picks on Defense and RB.

squidkid
04-21-2013, 12:27 PM
dont think its obvious but thats the guy i want.
sure would eliminate the need to grab a wr early unless a good one fell

feltdizz
04-21-2013, 12:36 PM
The draft cant get here soon enough...

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2013, 02:07 PM
It is certainly obvious that this board was sorely in need of yet another Eifert thread.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-21-2013, 02:09 PM
It is certainly obvious that this board was sorely in need of yet another Eifert thread.

I know there is usually a guy the board locks in on, but I can't remember anyone getting more threads than eifert.

flippy
04-21-2013, 02:32 PM
I know there is usually a guy the board locks in on, but I can't remember anyone getting more threads than eifert.

I thin Crash had 15,000 posts about Antonio Bryant. Not complain, I liked him to being a Pitt kid.

In the pre board days, I remember everyone used to talk about wanting Dan Marino. That was the talk of the town.

I also remember a lot of people thinking the Steelers were crazy for letting Curtis Martin slip so far. Not sure if that was before the boards or not.

I think the last guy people talked this much about was Matt Jones.

flippy
04-21-2013, 02:34 PM

Maybe his biggest fan should start an "Official Draft Tyler Eifert or Bust Thread" and everyone can repeat the same stuff over and over in the thread. They can call it whatever they want, just make sure it starts with the word Official.

Wait I'm not trying to encourage another thread :)

Chadman
04-21-2013, 06:32 PM
The only thing obvious about the 17th pick is that there will be one.

This is one of the harder projections for the Steelers that Chadman has seen. Drafting Eifert, however, seems out of character for the Steelers as they tend to use early draft picks on players that will sit behind an older vet or a guy they plan on moving on within a couple of seasons. Despite Miller's serious injury, at 31 & coming off his best season in the NFL, he's neither an aged vet or moving on any time soon.

Which positions will the Steelers need to replace within the next couple of seasons?

CB, SS, FS, ILB.... WR, OG perhaps?

Mister Pittsburgh
04-21-2013, 06:36 PM
it is certainly obvious that this board was sorely in need of yet another eifert thread.

absolutely!

Coolie Man
04-21-2013, 06:59 PM
I'll take bets. Also this isn't an ass kiss board is it?

supersteeler
04-21-2013, 07:09 PM
The only thing obvious about the 17th pick is that there will be one.

This is one of the harder projections for the Steelers that Chadman has seen. Drafting Eifert, however, seems out of character for the Steelers as they tend to use early draft picks on players that will sit behind an older vet or a guy they plan on moving on within a couple of seasons. Despite Miller's serious injury, at 31 & coming off his best season in the NFL, he's neither an aged vet or moving on any time soon.

Which positions will the Steelers need to replace within the next couple of seasons?

CB, SS, FS, ILB.... WR, OG perhaps?

Do the Steelers have the luxury of waiting for players to develope like in the past?

hawaiiansteel
04-21-2013, 07:35 PM
a message board can never have enough good Tyler Eifert threads...:D

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nd/sports/genrel/auto_action/5671778.jpeghttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSbiMTkIaMmBQA683YsHQr23D3q33gG P5mnRSsfAANgq639h50

supersteeler
04-21-2013, 07:38 PM
a message board can never have enough good Tyler Eifert threads...:D

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nd/sports/genrel/auto_action/5671778.jpeghttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSbiMTkIaMmBQA683YsHQr23D3q33gG P5mnRSsfAANgq639h50

After Thursday, there may be more especially if we draft him. :Clap

Chucktownsteeler
04-21-2013, 07:47 PM
I don't see it happening. Too many other pressing needs than TE at this point. Great player no doubt, but defense and OL need help.

feltdizz
04-21-2013, 08:36 PM
After Thursday, there may be more especially if we draft him. :Clap

..and even more if we don't. He will be the new Poz or Sean Lee...
But if we do draft him... he better be a freaking HOFer. I dont think its possible to live up to the expectations... I can see it now, a bunch of "Eifert was open" threads after every pass to a WR.

SteelCrazy
04-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Ertz will be there at pick 48 so we'll get him. I know most everyone thinks he'll be gone, but I bet we get him there. Better players will be available @ 17, so we pass on Eifert. We may even pass on Ertz in the 2nd. I would be happy with either pick, but I know Colbert personally and he told me his plans.

flippy
04-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Ertz will be there at pick 48 so we'll get him. I know most everyone thinks he'll be gone, but I bet we get him there. Better players will be available @ 17, so we pass on Eifert. We may even pass on Ertz in the 2nd. I would be happy with either pick, but I know Colbert personally and he told me his plans.

Could you ask Colbert to draft like Cowher's there with him?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Could you ask Colbert to draft like Cowher's there with him?

You want him to pass on the next Ben Roethlisberger so that we can take the next Stacey Andrews? :stirpot

Sorry man, just had to get that in. ;)

Rara
04-21-2013, 10:14 PM
The draft cant get here soon enough...

I hear you!! It needs to be here NOW!!

SteelCrazy
04-21-2013, 10:19 PM
You want him to pass on the next Ben Roethlisberger so that we can take the next Stacey Andrews? :stirpot

lol .

Mister Pittsburgh
04-21-2013, 10:37 PM
The difference between the 6th ranked defense in points per game (us) and 22nd ranked defense, is 4.7 points per game.
the difference between the 22nd ranked offense in points per game (us) and 6th ranked offense, is 5.7 points per game.

Our running game sucked last year and we did nothing to improve it in FA. We lost our deep threat WR. Our TE who is a real pass catching weapon and good run blocker is out for at least, I would think, half the season or more. We lost our stable LT. Our offense was pretty piss poor last year. Some of the reason was talent, some injuries.

Our defense last year was near the top of the league without three of the top players, Troy, Harrison, Woodley, making much of an impact until near the end of the season. We lost Harrison and Lewis but have two young players ready to step into those spots.

I think for this draft I would go offense early as offensive players will contribute immediately, and try and hit on defenders in the mid to late rounds on developable players with high upside. The Steelers made the decision to push Ike and Troys money into the future and were unable to cut either to sign Lewis and have two young CB's. I just think they chose to make that decision, now they need to live with it. Gotta provide thir franchise QB with quality players so he has talent to work with the remainder of his career. I think a good start would be Eifert.

pittpete
04-21-2013, 10:47 PM
I think for this draft I would go offense early as offensive players will contribute immediately, and try and hit on defenders in the mid to late rounds on developable players with high upside.
I like your thinking, and hope the Steelers do too.

supersteeler
04-21-2013, 10:48 PM
The difference between the 6th ranked defense in points per game (us) and 22nd ranked defense, is 4.7 points per game.
the difference between the 22nd ranked offense in points per game (us) and 6th ranked offense, is 5.7 points per game.

Our running game sucked last year and we did nothing to improve it in FA. We lost our deep threat WR. Our TE who is a real pass catching weapon and good run blocker is out for at least, I would think, half the season or more. We lost our stable LT. Our offense was pretty piss poor last year. Some of the reason was talent, some injuries.

Our defense last year was near the top of the league without three of the top players, Troy, Harrison, Woodley, making much of an impact until near the end of the season. We lost Harrison and Lewis but have two young players ready to step into those spots.

I think for this draft I would go offense early as offensive players will contribute immediately, and try and hit on defenders in the mid to late rounds on developable players with high upside. The Steelers made the decision to push Ike and Troys money into the future and were unable to cut either to sign Lewis and have two young CB's. I just think they chose to make that decision, now they need to live with it. Gotta provide thir franchise QB with quality players so he has talent to work with the remainder of his career. I think a good start would be Eifert.

I second your post!

Rara
04-21-2013, 10:56 PM

I want Sims out of Michigan State in the fourth or fifth round.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-21-2013, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't cry a bit if we went offense the first three rounds.

supersteeler
04-22-2013, 08:26 AM
By Nick DeWitt(Featured Columnist) on April 22, 2013 180
Steelers completing their preparations for this week's NFL draft festivities, rumors are swirling about what the reloading Steelers will do with their eight draft choices. Needs are present at running back, safety, linebacker and cornerback. There are a ton of talented prospects available.
Here's a roundup of the latest Steelers draft buzz from around the web.

Tyler Eifert in Round 1?

Jared Wickerham/Getty Images Tight end wouldn't seem to be a big area of need for a Pittsburgh Steelers team that has a star in his prime (Heath Miller), a veteran blocker (Matt Spaeth) and a young prospect (David Paulson) already on the roster.

But the Spaeth and Paulson are more complementary pieces than starters and there are serious questions surrounding Miller's health and recovery from a late-season knee injury.

Sportige is now surmising that Pittsburgh may shock:shock: everyone and go with a tight end like Tyler Eifert:) in the first round.

That still seems to be a luxury that Pittsburgh cannot afford with pressing needs on defense and in the backfield, but the Steelers have a habit of taking the best player available regardless of their needs.

If Eifert is the top player on their draft board available at 17th overall, then he will be the pick.

Oviedo
04-22-2013, 09:00 AM
I think for this draft I would go offense early as offensive players will contribute immediately, and try and hit on defenders in the mid to late rounds on developable players with high upside... I think a good start would be Eifert.

Exactly what I believe too. The defense will likely take a step back this year so drafting a future starter for two years from now doesn't make sense when you can get a player who will boost the offense now to help make up the difference.

flippy
04-22-2013, 10:23 AM

Should have said draft like Bill and Dan are there. At least Dan's now back. Maybe he can draft for us.

phillyesq
04-22-2013, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't cry a bit if we went offense the first three rounds.

I could see investing 2 of the top 3 picks on offense (a WR and a RB), but I would like to grab at least one defensive player. There seems to be a lot of safety depth in rounds 2-3, and this is a nice blending of a future need matching the available talent. A safety would have the opportunity to contribute early in sub packages and leave the Steelers prepared for the future with Troy and Clark getting older.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-22-2013, 10:29 AM
I think the only thing that is becoming obvious is the the board that will be available at #17 may not have the Steelers "biggest needs" at the Top of their board. I think many on here will be saying "Why" come Thursday night.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Exactly what I believe too. The defense will likely take a step back this year so drafting a future starter for two years from now doesn't make sense when you can get a player who will boost the offense now to help make up the difference.

yep. my thoughts on the subject exactly. especially when you throw in things like the league being an offensive league at this point and damn near every rule change over the last decade favoring the offense. how many times do you see in a game where the WR's or TE's can initiate contact but as soon as the defender reaches out to touch the WR or TE to guage body position they are penalized.

feltdizz
04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
yep. my thoughts on the subject exactly. especially when you throw in things like the league being an offensive league at this point and damn near every rule change over the last decade favoring the offense. how many times do you see in a game where the WR's or TE's can initiate contact but as soon as the defender reaches out to touch the WR or TE to guage body position they are penalized.

we've been saying this for the last 3 years... and I don't think we have ever gone for an offensive weapon these last 3 years.

Captain Lemming
04-22-2013, 12:53 PM

Our defense was pathetic without Harrison, and we get that forever.
It took the rest of the season to climb back to number one after a horrid september.
Would not shock if we went LB especially if Jones is there

Oviedo
04-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Our defense was pathetic without Harrison, and we get that forever.
It took the rest of the season to climb back to number one after a horrid september.
Would not shock if we went LB especially if Jones is there

And having the "bumper sticker title" of #1 got us out of the play offs. Meaningless honor which is why I would prefer we draft an offensive weapon that will put points on the board.

flippy
04-22-2013, 01:02 PM
I'll be happy if we get someone that helps us in the RedZone or someone that helps us pressure the QB.

Captain Lemming
04-22-2013, 01:13 PM
And having the "bumper sticker title" of #1 got us out of the play offs. Meaningless honor which is why I would prefer we draft an offensive weapon that will put points on the board.

Since Ben we have added "elite" draft picks (Santonio, Menenhall, Sweed) and 3rd round and later draft picks (Parker, Wallace, Brown, Sanders,) at skill positions.
I see no correlation whatsoever between offensive production and and when we draft skill players.

Captain Lemming
04-22-2013, 01:16 PM
I'll be happy if we get someone that helps us in the RedZone or someone that helps us pressure the QB.

If I went offense I go Oline YET AGAIN, because the interior run game has been keeping us from scoring, not lack of talent at receiver

Mister Pittsburgh
04-22-2013, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't care if we traded UP and grabbed Warmack or Lane Johnson to solidify the OL. I have ZERO faith in Gilbert. Lane Johnson would start day one at LT.
I don't agree with your sentiment that our defense sucked all year until Harrison emerged the final month. We played well the final month, but played well most the season other than the two games early.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-22-2013, 03:44 PM
The defense last year had 2 games where they gave up more points than the league average defense. The offense scored less points than the league average offense 8 times. We lost Wallace, Starks, Mendenhall, and Heath will be out for at least half if not more of the season. This was based of of the final score and 3 of the games showing the defense did worse are actually just the offense throwing pick 6's or the offense fumbling the game away so even though the offense did better than league average, they cost the team the game in those instances. I know the numbers are jacked due to this fact but this was meant as a quick exercise to show our offense sucks way worse than our defense when compared to league average and the offense has lost more players of importance. Plus, the offense has a potential HOF QB who needs surrounded by talent to end his career.

L 31-19 defense worse – offense worse
W 27-10 defense better – offense better
L 34-31 defense worse – offense better
BYE WEEK
W 16-14 defense better – offense worse
L 26-23 defense worse – offense worse
W 24-17 defense better – offense better
W 27-12 defense better – offense better
W 24-20 defense better – offense better
W 16-13 OT defense better – offense worse
L 13-10 defense better – offense worse
L 20-14 defense better – offense worse
W 23-20 defense better – offense worse
L 34-24 defense worse – offense better
L 27-24 OT defense worse – offense better
W 24-10 defense better – offense better

League average offensive points per game = 23.35
League average defensive points give up per game = 22.1

Captain Lemming
04-22-2013, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't care if we traded UP and grabbed Warmack or Lane Johnson to solidify the OL. I have ZERO faith in Gilbert. Lane Johnson would start day one at LT.
I don't agree with your sentiment that our defense sucked all year until Harrison emerged the final month. We played well the final month, but played well most the season other than the two games early.

And who was out for those "two games early"? Harrison.
I am not talking about the last month only. I am talking about the entire season minus the first month when JH was out.

Harrison missed three games and we got torched in 2 of those games. Two out of three giving up 30 plus. Happened ONCE more the rest of the season.

The difference in our defense began before he began getting sacks, which is all people see.
Harrison is the best 3/4 OLBer against the run in the AFC BY FAR.

Our defense made the stinkin RAIDERS look like worldbeaters w/o Harrison.

Captain Lemming
04-22-2013, 04:50 PM
The defense last year had 2 games where they gave up more points than the league average defense. The offense scored less points than the league average offense 8 times. We lost Wallace, Starks, Mendenhall, and Heath will be out for at least half if not more of the season. This was based of of the final score and 3 of the games showing the defense did worse are actually just the offense throwing pick 6's or the offense fumbling the game away so even though the offense did better than league average, they cost the team the game in those instances. I know the numbers are jacked due to this fact but this was meant as a quick exercise to show our offense sucks way worse than our defense when compared to league average and the offense has lost more players of importance. Plus, the offense has a potential HOF QB who needs surrounded by talent to end his career.

L 31-19 defense worse – offense worse
W 27-10 defense better – offense better
L 34-31 defense worse – offense better
BYE WEEK
W 16-14 defense better – offense worse
L 26-23 defense worse – offense worse
W 24-17 defense better – offense better
W 27-12 defense better – offense better
W 24-20 defense better – offense better
W 16-13 OT defense better – offense worse
L 20-14 defense better – offense worse
W 23-20 defense better – offense worse
L 34-24 defense worse – offense better
L 27-24 OT defense worse – offense better
W 24-10 defense better – offense better

League average offensive points per game = 23.35
League average defensive points give up per game = 22.1

And as you demostrate we struggled offensively DESPITE having "Wallace, Starks, Mendenhall, and Heath".

I will say it again, how much difference has the skill players meant in the history of Ben?
Only top 10 scoring team in the Tomlin era featured, a 3rd round receiver, a free agent rb, and a good not great 1 round receiver.

Recent teams have featured MUCH MORE elite talent. People here making the case that we had the best receiving talent I THE LEAGUE. "Fastest receiver in the league", stuff of highlight, big bombs. The young money crew...ooh. Too much talent to start Sanders? So deep that Jeremiah Cotchery who averaged like 70 catches as a Jet cant get on the field as a Steeler. Are you kidding me?

What did it matter? Average offensive production, worse than we did with (Slow) Hines, (better QB than receiver) ARE, and free agent Willie Parker at RB. That 2005 Cowher team ranked 9th in scoring and won a SB.

flippy
04-22-2013, 04:51 PM
And who was out for those "two games early"? Harrison.
I am not talking about the last month only. I am talking about the entire season minus the first month when JH was out.

Harrison missed three games and we got torched in 2 of those games. Two out of three giving up 30 plus. Happened ONCE more the rest of the season.

The difference in our defense began before he began getting sacks, which is all people see.
Harrison is the best 3/4 OLBer against the run in the AFC BY FAR.

Our defense made the stinkin RAIDERS look like worldbeaters w/o Harrison.

I think the defensive improvement coincided more with the return to health of Casey Hampton. Early on in the season, Casey was getting pushed around. Then his whole game changed and so did our D.

I don't remember the exact game, but there was a game that was a turning point where Casey started moving the pocket again and everything started to fall into place that week.

SteelCrazy
04-22-2013, 07:55 PM
I want Sims out of Michigan State in the fourth or fifth round.

What about Nick Kasa out of Colorado. Switched from DE to TE. Talk about upside. The guy is an athletic beast. 270 lbs. 6'6"

Mister Pittsburgh
04-22-2013, 08:34 PM
And as you demostrate we struggled offensively DESPITE having "Wallace, Starks, Mendenhall, and Heath".

I will say it again, how much difference has the skill players meant in the history of Ben?
Only top 10 scoring team in the Tomlin era featured, a 3rd round receiver, a free agent rb, and a good not great 1 round receiver.

Recent teams have featured MUCH MORE elite talent. People here making the case that we had the best receiving talent I THE LEAGUE. "Fastest receiver in the league", stuff of highlight, big bombs. The young money crew...ooh. Too much talent to start Sanders? So deep that Jeremiah Cotchery who averaged like 70 catches as a Jet cant get on the field as a Steeler. Are you kidding me?

What did it matter? Average offensive production, worse than we did with (Slow) Hines, (better QB than receiver) ARE, and free agent Willie Parker at RB. That 2005 Cowher team ranked 9th in scoring and won a SB.

The skill players certainly DO matter, but they need an OL to perform.

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2013, 12:34 AM
Bires: Steelers' pick is anyone's guess

Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013
By Mike Bires

PITTSBURGH -- Itís been a long time since the Steelers went into the NFL Draft with so much uncertainty. With so many holes to fill, itís hard to pinpoint who theyíll select with their first-round pick.

We know for sure it wonít be a quarterback. Ben Roethlisberger may be 31, but heís still the face of the franchise.

It wonít be an offensive or defensive lineman. There have been enough of them taken in the first round the last four years (Ziggy Hood, 2009; Maurkice Pouncey, 2010; Cameron Heyward, 2011; David DeCastro, 2012).

And itís not going to be a running back, even though the Steelers need one.
Other than those positions, itís wide open.

With the 17th choice, a case can be made for a wide receiver, inside and outside linebacker, safety, cornerback and tight end.

In a draft not exactly loaded with canít-miss prospects, itís anybodyís guess who the Steelers will take. Thereís no consensus pick among the mock drafts.

With eight picks in this weekís draft, the Steelers have already identified who they believe are the top 150 players. Of that group, general manager Kevin Colbert believes there are six to eight ďwho we think are special.Ē

Unless there are major surprises when the first 16 picks are made Thursday night, the Steelers will select one of the special players on Colbertís list.

Colbert, whoís never had a true first-round bust in his first 12 years with the Steelers, believes thereís plenty of potential in Rounds 2 through 4. But itís always the first-round pick that creates the most excitement and fanfare. Thatís why the NFL reserves Day 1 of the three-day draft for only the first round.

Last year, it was quarterbacks who dominated Round 1. Four of the first 22 picks were QBs (Andrew Luck, No. 1; Robert Griffin III, No. 2; Ryan Tannehill, No. 8; and Brandon Weeden, No. 22). This year, the only quarterback projected as a first-rounder is West Virginiaís Geno Smith.

Thatís OK with the Steelers, who are set with Roethlisberger and Bruce Gradkowski as his backup.

But with speedster Mike Wallace gone via free agency, the Steelers desperately need help at wide receiver.

The Steelers always have an eye out for pass-rushing outside linebackers, and with James Harrison now on the Bengalsí roster, thatís a position that needs an upgrade.

Likewise at inside linebacker, with Larry Foote another year older and Sean Spence, a third-round choice last year, trying to bounce back from a knee injury that wiped out his rookie season.

Ryan Clark turns 34 in October and 32-year-old Troy Polamalu only played seven games last year due to injuries, so thereís a need for safety help especially after backups Will Allen and Ryan Mundy werenít re-signed.

With Heath Miller still mending from major knee surgery, itís uncertain when heíll be able to play again. So, tight end is certainly a first-round option.

ďThere will be a good player at 17, thereís no question about that,Ē Colbert said.

PLAYERS STEELERS MIGHT DRAFT

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
Alexander Ogletree, ILB, Georgia
Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/bires-steelers-pick-is-anyone-s-guess/article_bd08bff7-06ed-536b-ad31-8ba8bcdc4734.html