PDA

View Full Version : "Harrison hates Steelers now"

Oviedo
04-17-2013, 09:22 AM
According to Carlos Dunlap from Bumgals

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/17/4233902/james-harrison-hates-the-steelers-comments-bengals

Screw you James. You could have remained a Steeler and had a good contract but you let you ego get in the way.

calmkiller
04-17-2013, 09:25 AM
So you hate your previous employer who made you a millionaire? OKAY

ikestops85
04-17-2013, 09:29 AM
James has never been shy about saying what he feels. Therefore, I will believe this when it comes out of his mouth ... not some slimey Bungle's player. :bungalssuck

Ovi, maybe you should consider the source before believing some of this crap.

Oviedo
04-17-2013, 09:36 AM
James has never been shy about saying what he feels. Therefore, I will believe this when it comes out of his mouth ... not some slimey Bungle's player. :bungalssuck

Maybe you should quit seeing Harrison as a good guy. He is just another egotistical player who let his ego get in the way of staying on a team where he would have been worshipped by some fans. He is nothing more than an NFL aftertought now and will just be a footnote in Steelers history versus going out on top as a legend.

feltdizz
04-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Maybe you should quit seeing Harrison as a good guy. He is just another egotistical player who let his ego get in the way of staying on a team where he would have been worshipped by some fans. He is nothing more than an NFL aftertought now and will just be a footnote in Steelers history versus going out on top as a legend.

I'm sure he cares... NOT!:)

Oviedo
04-17-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm sure he cares... NOT!:)

Nor should we care about him either. That will create perfect symmetry.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Don't read anything into that. Harrison might be sour but I doubt he "HATES" the Steelers. He would have to Tweet or say it in an interview before I believe it. I have been one who said he was done & happy with the cut even though he was one of my favs. But Harrison has luv for the Steelers and the Steeler Nation. May not be happy right now with the upstairs. We all need to understand he is hurting and still wants to play. He wanted to be here and end here but UGLY got in the way. No matter what happens... Just pray we all see the day that Harrison signs a 1 day contract with the Steelers. That day...Many of the "hurting" fans will finally be happy again.

phillyesq
04-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Ovi, you never liked Harrison when he was a member of the Steelers, likely because he is a key cog in a defensive system that you despise. You were predicting his downfall for years before it happened.

pfelix73
04-17-2013, 09:48 AM
So you say he isn't a 'good guy'? Then he's a 'bad guy'? wtf does this mean? I've had him on my fb page for years now. He's just like you or me, your everyday citizen. Oviedo- you really need to get over your hate for the defense and be realistic. geez.

8467thekraken
04-17-2013, 09:48 AM
Couldn't agree more 85.

It's been a tough one with what has happened with Harrison. Would've liked him to stay with Pittsburgh. But the business is a beast. It's a shame the two sides couldn't agree. But Pittsburgh gave Harrison his shot in the League, so I find it hard to believe he hates them as much as Dunlap says he does.

Until Deebo says it himself, it's just another Bengal player sayin' something stupid.

Sugar
04-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Couldn't agree more 85.

It's been a tough one with what has happened with Harrison. Would've liked him to stay with Pittsburgh. But the business is a beast. It's a shame the two sides couldn't agree. But Pittsburgh gave Harrison his shot in the League, so I find it hard to believe he hates them as much as Dunlap says he does.

Until Deebo says it himself, it's just another Bengal player sayin' something stupid.

Since the talks between Deebo and the Bengals seem to be breaking down, maybe this is a great way that the Bengals can help burn any bridge that might take him back. I don't think it's likely, but we're only looking at media reports. I also have James on my FB and he's been nothing but cool. This is a guy who has spoken out against the Commissioner of the NFL and the President of the United States. I don't think he'd be afraid to say what he thinks.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-17-2013, 10:17 AM

My feelings exactly when I first read this.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-17-2013, 10:26 AM
I still think this is all leverage to use against Dansby. Harrison just doesn't fit to me. The Bengals decorated for the Harrison party but when it came to discuss numbers they served him cheese & crackers.

supersteeler
04-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Harrison doesn't hate the Steelers, but if he signs with another team and we play that team I'm sure his motivation would be off the charts to do well against us. Likewise The Steelers don't hate James either, they offered him a fair and reasonable contract considering their cap issues and his age. He thought he could get more or close to what he was going to make this season but found out different, in the meantime the Steelers signed Foster, got a deal done with Foote, Gay, and now Sanders.
If james would of accepted the original offer the Steelers may not have been able to sign these other players and give tenders to ones they wanted to keep.

I don't fault James or the Steelers in this matter, but I think Harrison and his agent made a mistake with the orginal offer. When they realized they made the wrong decision it was too late as the Steelers committed to signing their other players.

Oviedo
04-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Ovi, you never liked Harrison when he was a member of the Steelers, likely because he is a key cog in a defensive system that you despise. You were predicting his downfall for years before it happened.

yes. its all about me and my hate for our defense. really?????

Don't forget how Harrison is a victim of an exploitative system in the NFL and how I abuse old people because I think LeBeau needs to be more willing to change.

phillyesq
04-17-2013, 11:18 AM
yes. its all about me and my hate for our defense. really?????

Don't forget how Harrison is a victim of an exploitative system in the NFL and how I abuse old people because I think LeBeau needs to be more willing to change.

For somebody who claims to be dispassionate about the players, you've directed a lot of negative energy towards Harrison...

Oviedo
04-17-2013, 11:25 AM
For somebody who claims to be dispassionate about the players, you've directed a lot of negative energy towards Harrison...

I am passionate when I perceive that a player rejects the organization because to me it is all about the organization because that is what has provided the great NFL experience for me since I started watching the NFL in about 1970 at a preseason game my father took me to in Forbes Field. I totally believe in the old fashioned notion that "its about the name on the front of the jersey not the one on the back."

Now I'm sure you will come back with the argument of what about when the organization rejects the player so isn't it all right for the player to reject the organization. Sure it is, but I'll still side with the organization because I'm confident they have the long term view whereas the player has the short term view.

feltdizz
04-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I am passionate when I perceive that a player rejects the organization because to me it is all about the organization because that is what has provided the great NFL experience for me since I started watching the NFL in about 1970 at a preseason game my father took me to in Forbes Field. I totally believe in the old fashioned notion that "its about the name on the front of the jersey not the one on the back."

Now I'm sure you will come back with the argument of what about when the organization rejects the player so isn't it all right for the player to reject the organization. Sure it is, but I'll still side with the organization because I'm confident they have the long term view whereas the player has the short term view.

I can respect that...

but I can't respect revisionist history.

flippy
04-17-2013, 01:58 PM
I hate Harrison if he isn't a Steeler. I appreciate the memories, but as soon as he's gone, he's Ray Lewis to me. I'll still follow his career and stuff, but that's just cause I'm a glutton for punishment.

Oviedo
04-17-2013, 03:14 PM
I hate Harrison if he isn't a Steeler. I appreciate the memories, but as soon as he's gone, he's Ray Lewis to me. I'll still follow his career and stuff, but that's just cause I'm a glutton for punishment.

Ditto, except I could care less about his career if he isn't wearing Black and Gold. Guy could fall into the Black Hole of Calcutta and I wouldn't care. I root for the Steelers not a player beyond what he can do to benefit the Steelers.

flippy
04-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Ditto, except I could care less about his career if he isn't wearing Black and Gold. Guy could fall into the Black Hole of Calcutta and I wouldn't care. I root for the Steelers not a player beyond what he can do to benefit the Steelers.

Even in different cloth, if I see James, I'm gonna remember his SuperBowl Pic6. It's the nostalgia that'll make me watch him.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Not me. As long as his success doesn't hurt the Steelers in any way I would wish him well in gratitude for bringing us our 6th Lombardi, and for everything else he did for us. Now, if he's playing us, or for a team we need to lose, then no warm fuzzies at those times. But, I still have (diminishing :-( ) hopes that he'll stay in the B&G).

You guys really feel that way? You really do hate Franco, Joey Porter, Kevin Greene, Woodson and others because they put on another uniform after wearing the B&G?

Related question ... what about Foote, BMac, Gay, Randle-El, etc. ... did you hate them when they left? And did you start loving them again (apologies to Merle Haggard) the day they came back? Hey, Plex is in that boat right now ... where does he stand now that he's back?

phillyesq
04-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Not me. As long as his success doesn't hurt the Steelers in any way I would wish him well in gratitude for bringing us our 6th Lombardi, and for everything else he did for us. Now, if he's playing us, or for a team we need to lose, then no warm fuzzies at those times. But, I still have (diminishing :-( ) hopes that he'll stay in the B&G).

You guys really feel that way? You really do hate Franco, Joey Porter, Kevin Greene, Woodson and others because they put on another uniform after wearing the B&G?

Related question ... what about Foote, BMac, Gay, Randle-El, etc. ... did you hate them when they left? And did you start loving them again (apologies to Merle Haggard) the day they came back? Hey, Plex is in that boat right now ... where does he stand now that he's back?

I'm with you. As long as he is not playing against the Steelers, I will absolutely root for James Harrison. He was my favorite player on the team and he had some amazing games, and left me with a lot of great memories. If he's playing against the Steelers, I'd certainly rather he not knock Ben into oblivion, but if he's not playing against the Steelers, I'll absolutely root for him.

Oviedo
04-17-2013, 05:09 PM

Don't hate them but quit caring about them as NFL players the minute they left. And the ones that came back I started caring about because their efforts mattered again.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-17-2013, 05:31 PM

Very good questions and line of thinking... It's exactly how I felt, but, hadn't taken the time to peice together the thoughts...

blacknblue80s
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM
I just can't flip a switch and not give a damn because a player leaves. As long as they aren't playing against us I'm still a fan.

thor75
04-17-2013, 08:53 PM

It depends on the player for me. I really had no strong opinion on Foote, BMac. I don't like Gay and hated ARE. I was disappointed to see Plex go, but still rooted for him and Porter, John Kuhn, Willie Williams, and Mark Bruener. I agree though, if they play against the Steelers I hope they get their a&s beat.

eniparadoxgma
04-18-2013, 12:24 AM
I'm in the camp saying that I'll believe it when it I hear it from Silverback himself. Don't see the need to believe 2nd hand hearsay from a friggin Bungle.

Captain Lemming
04-18-2013, 12:40 AM

I dont hate, but I DO NOT wish them success. Because the greater THEIR success the worse the decision to let him go.

Hey NOBODY was more pro sign Harrison than me.
But now that he is gone I dont want him to suceed elsewhere.
It would only make me more sick that he was let go.

You mention Franco. I was GLAD he struggled in Seattle, because it meant WE MADE THE RIGHT CALL.

I was a fan of Franco THE STEELER, could care less about Franco the Seahawk.

Ditto Harrison, Wallace, Lewis, or any other former Steeler.
I WANT to be wrong if it means the team made the right move

flippy
04-18-2013, 12:54 AM
I dont hate, but I DO NOT wish them success. Because the greater THEIR success the worse the decision to let him go.

You mention Franco. I was GLAD he struggled in Seattle, because it meant WE MADE THE RIGHT CALL.

I'd even go as far as to say Woodson going into the HOF acting like he was a Steeler was a little irritating. Loved him while he was here. But then he left and helped Baltimore win a SuperBowl and meh.

I really liked the guy. But he was gone soooo long, he didn't feel like a Steeler. Guys like Franco or Webby leaving for another season to hang on didnt bother me cause they were so short and they were hanging on too long. But Woodson bugged me that he left with so much left.

Captain Lemming
04-18-2013, 01:05 AM
I'd even go as far as to say Woodson going into the HOF acting like he was a Steeler was a little irritating. Loved him while he was here. But then he left and helped Baltimore win a SuperBowl and meh.

I really liked the guy. But he was gone soooo long, he didn't feel like a Steeler. Guys like Franco or Webby leaving for another season to hang on didnt bother me cause they were so short and they were hanging on too long. But Woodson bugged me that he left with so much left.

Yes, and what made it worse besides the time WAS the success as a stinkin Raven
Hated seeing that. Probowl player still

I want former steelers to be washed up having used all their greatness as a Steeler.

Slapstick
04-18-2013, 06:11 AM

To me, Woodson was ALWAYS a Steeler, regardless of jersey color...even moreso, to me, than a guy like Joey Porter...

I don't begrudge guys like Franco, Webby or Harrison (now) for wanting one more season...I'm just disappointed with how it worked out...Harrison had an opportunity to stay at the best deal possible for him and didn't take it....

Woodson played for 7 or 8 more seasons after Donohoe ran him out of town...he had a lot left to give, not just one last season...

Oviedo
04-18-2013, 08:11 AM

My thoughts too...agree

grotonsteel
04-18-2013, 08:45 AM
I liked what Mike Wallace brought to table and wanted Steelers to retain him...but now i hope he has Darius Heyward Bey kinda production in Miami...It will make me happy....

Same with Harrison..if he is a Bungle...then i hope he gets zero sacks...and gets trucked by Rice or Trent Richardson...and gets pancaked by every freaking O-line/TE/RB/FB in AFCN...

I wish them good health for life and great success off the football field but hope for zero success on football field......

SteelerOfDeVille
04-18-2013, 09:59 AM
I still think this is all leverage to use against Dansby. Harrison just doesn't fit to me. The Bengals decorated for the Harrison party but when it came to discuss numbers they served him cheese & crackers.

looks pretty dang accurate at this point...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Yes, and what made it worse besides the time WAS the success as a stinkin Raven
Hated seeing that. Probowl player still

I want former steelers to be washed up having used all their greatness as a Steeler.

That's how the Steelers ended the dynasty of the '70s. They rode out their stars until there was nothing left instead of slowly moving them along little by little and replenishing before waiting until the cupboard was bare.

As a direct result, we had the Steelers of the '80s. Sometimes you have to make the decision to move players along a season or two too early rather than risk waiting a season or two too late.

Sugar
04-18-2013, 11:11 AM
I liked what Mike Wallace brought to table and wanted Steelers to retain him...but now i hope he has Darius Heyward Bey kinda production in Miami...It will make me happy....

Same with Harrison..if he is a Bungle...then i hope he gets zero sacks...and gets trucked by Rice or Trent Richardson...and gets pancaked by every freaking O-line/TE/RB/FB in AFCN...

I wish them good health for life and great success off the football field but hope for zero success on football field......

See, I'm not like that at all. I want to see Mike Wallace and Deebo as first alternates in the pro-bowl behind whatever carbon unit the Steelers find to take their place. I like these players and want to see them succeed- just not at the expense of my favorite team. I like to see Drew Brees do his thing too, just not at the expense of my team. The fact that someone once had ties to the Steelers doesn't color my impression of them as a player unless I thought they were a jackass in Pitt as well.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-18-2013, 11:29 AM
To me, Woodson was ALWAYS a Steeler, regardless of jersey color...even moreso, to me, than a guy like Joey Porter...

I don't begrudge guys like Franco, Webby or Harrison (now) for wanting one more season...I'm just disappointed with how it worked out...Harrison had an opportunity to stay at the best deal possible for him and didn't take it....

Woodson played for 7 or 8 more seasons after Donohoe ran him out of town...he had a lot left to give, not just one last season...

Agreed, totally on Woodson... In fact, I wonder how the Ravens (or even Raiders, 49ers) fans feel that he's went in as a Steeler. I always understood that he WANTED to stay. To me, that's a huge difference maker in how i feel about them...

Big Ern McCracken
04-18-2013, 11:53 AM
That's how the Steelers ended the dynasty of the '70s. They rode out their stars until there was nothing left instead of slowly moving them along little by little and replenishing before waiting until the cupboard was bare.

As a direct result, we had the Steelers of the '80s. Sometimes you have to make the decision to move players along a season or two too early rather than risk waiting a season or two too late. i.e Troy, Ike

feltdizz
04-18-2013, 12:58 PM
See, I'm not like that at all. I want to see Mike Wallace and Deebo as first alternates in the pro-bowl behind whatever carbon unit the Steelers find to take their place. I like these players and want to see them succeed- just not at the expense of my favorite team. I like to see Drew Brees do his thing too, just not at the expense of my team. The fact that someone once had ties to the Steelers doesn't color my impression of them as a player unless I thought they were a jackass in Pitt as well.

I agree except for Wallace... I'm happy he got his money but I don't want to see Miami win through FA riches... I prefer to see them struggle and realize you shouldn't overpay our WR's. LOL..

Captain Lemming
04-18-2013, 04:18 PM

As a direct result, we had the Steelers of the '80s. Sometimes you have to make the decision to move players along a season or two too early rather than risk waiting a season or two too late.

NICE REVISIONIST HISTORY.....Not true though. Franco for example:

Sydney Thorton drafted 2nd round
Russel Davis drafted 4th round
Greg Hawthorne drafted first round
And Walter Abercrobie FIRST ROUND NUMBER 12 overall 82 draft

We tried to draft Francos heir without success FOR YEARS before he was done.

Problem was not hanging on too long, it was drafting the WRONG players to replace them.

Had we drafted Sammy Winder or even better Gerald Riggs instead of Abercrombie, whole different story

Sugar
04-18-2013, 04:39 PM
I agree except for Wallace... I'm happy he got his money but I don't want to see Miami win through FA riches... I prefer to see them struggle and realize you shouldn't overpay our WR's. LOL..

Don't get me wrong. I didn't say I wanted to see Miami win. I said I want to see Mike Wallace make the pro-bowl. Big difference. Let him have the SportsCenter play of the week every week as long as the Steelers are winning football games.

hawaiiansteel
05-17-2013, 02:40 AM
Bengals James Harrison may not hate Steelers, but they do motivate him

By SteelCityRoller on May 16 2013

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/13214953/20121227_kkt_al8_246.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The former defensive player of the year is starting to get comfortable in his new uniform, enough so to finally admit an ego bruised by his former employer.

While most of the NFL world found themselves entranced by James Harrison expressing his touchy-feely side when addressing the media officially for the first time as a member of the Cincinnati Bengals, eventually someone had to go and toss salt in what was supposed to be an old wound.

Evidently, it does still sting a little bit.

Once the Pittsburgh Steelers released him after he refused to renegotiate his contract to a 30 percent decrease, Harrison's agent tried to shop the player to every team. The only sincere suitors came from his former team's division rivals. After failing to squeeze an offer out of the Baltimore Ravens, the Bengals decided to take a look. They must have liked what they saw, because he will be a starting member of their defense in 2013.

Most people took his tour of the AFC North as an intentional jab at his former team, as confirmation of comments out of Cincinnati which claimed Harrison hated his former employer. Harrison spoke for himself soon after, to deny such hatred; and even now, he recognized the business aspect of the situation, but acknowledges it does burn at him still.

As if the Bengals and Steelers needed any added motivation during their contests, Harrison will be looking to make his former team pay for not paying.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/16/4331144/bengals-james-harrison-comments-steelers

flippy
05-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Bengals James Harrison may not hate Steelers, but they do motivate him

By SteelCityRoller on May 16 2013

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/13214953/20121227_kkt_al8_246.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The former defensive player of the year is starting to get comfortable in his new uniform, enough so to finally admit an ego bruised by his former employer.

While most of the NFL world found themselves entranced by James Harrison expressing his touchy-feely side when addressing the media officially for the first time as a member of the Cincinnati Bengals, eventually someone had to go and toss salt in what was supposed to be an old wound.

Evidently, it does still sting a little bit.

Once the Pittsburgh Steelers released him after he refused to renegotiate his contract to a 30 percent decrease, Harrison's agent tried to shop the player to every team. The only sincere suitors came from his former team's division rivals. After failing to squeeze an offer out of the Baltimore Ravens, the Bengals decided to take a look. They must have liked what they saw, because he will be a starting member of their defense in 2013.

Most people took his tour of the AFC North as an intentional jab at his former team, as confirmation of comments out of Cincinnati which claimed Harrison hated his former employer. Harrison spoke for himself soon after, to deny such hatred; and even now, he recognized the business aspect of the situation, but acknowledges it does burn at him still.

As if the Bengals and Steelers needed any added motivation during their contests, Harrison will be looking to make his former team pay for not paying.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/16/4331144/bengals-james-harrison-comments-steelers

It's a weird motivator. In a sense, Cincy is paying him less than the Steelers would have. So shouldn't he be a little mad at the Bengals? I bet he wouldn't piss on his agent if he was on fire.

Sugar
05-17-2013, 05:40 PM
It's a weird motivator. In a sense, Cincy is paying him less than the Steelers would have. So shouldn't he be a little mad at the Bengals? I bet he wouldn't piss on his agent if he was on fire.

He just went to Cincy to have a place to play.

NorthCoast
05-18-2013, 08:14 AM

Harrison, and/or, his agent, was pretty much their own worst enemy in this case. Harrison is the one who can choose to make it personal or not. Suggest the Steelers line up a tight end on his side when they play the Bengals to avoid the killshot on Ben.

ikestops85
05-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Hopefully our left tackle can hold Harrison as much as other teams left tackles did when he played for us. That's probably the only way Gilbert or Adams will have a chance against him.

hawaiiansteel
05-30-2013, 02:03 PM
James Harrison 'rushing more' for Cincinnati Bengals?

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: May 30, 2013

The Pittsburgh Steelers let James Harrison walk, but the Cincinnati Bengals believe the veteran pass rusher still has something left.

So does Harrison, who says too much has been made about his switch from Dick LeBeau's 3-4 defense to Mike Zimmer's 4-3.

"It's really not that much of a difference," Harrison told the team's official website. "Actually, with some of the stuff they're doing now, it looks like I may be rushing a little more than I had in previous years. I think I'll be covering a little less here."

It's not just the scheme fit that raises questions about Harrison's role with the Bengals. Unlike the Steelers, the Bengals draw their pass rush almost entirely from its defensive line. Defensive tackle Geno Atkins led the unit with 12.5 takedowns while Michael Johnson notched 11.5 sacks from the end position. The top six sack-getters for the Bengals were up front.

Harrison, an outside linebacker, doesn't fit the mold, but Zimmer is one of the game's most creative defensive play-callers. We trust he'll find ways to set Harrison free.

"(Zimmer) is doing some things that will hopefully get me some one-on-ones with a lot of interior linemen," he said. "Let the guys who were here continue to do the outside rushing that they were doing."

It's a no-lose situation for this young defense. Harrison didn't break the bank, and he's hungry to show the Steelers they've made a rare error in judgment. We won't have to wait long for that: The Bengals host the Steelers in Week 2.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207892/article/james-harrison-rushing-more-for-cincinnati-bengals

Slapstick
05-30-2013, 02:57 PM
...they've made a rare error in judgment.

By "they", you mean Harrison and his agent, right?

squidkid
05-30-2013, 02:58 PM
James Harrison 'rushing more' for Cincinnati Bengals?

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: May 30, 2013

The Pittsburgh Steelers let James Harrison walk, but the Cincinnati Bengals believe the veteran pass rusher still has something left.

So does Harrison, who says too much has been made about his switch from Dick LeBeau's 3-4 defense to Mike Zimmer's 4-3.

"It's really not that much of a difference," Harrison told the team's official website. "Actually, with some of the stuff they're doing now, it looks like I may be rushing a little more than I had in previous years. I think I'll be covering a little less here."

It's not just the scheme fit that raises questions about Harrison's role with the Bengals. Unlike the Steelers, the Bengals draw their pass rush almost entirely from its defensive line. Defensive tackle Geno Atkins led the unit with 12.5 takedowns while Michael Johnson notched 11.5 sacks from the end position. The top six sack-getters for the Bengals were up front.

Harrison, an outside linebacker, doesn't fit the mold, but Zimmer is one of the game's most creative defensive play-callers. We trust he'll find ways to set Harrison free.

"(Zimmer) is doing some things that will hopefully get me some one-on-ones with a lot of interior linemen," he said. "Let the guys who were here continue to do the outside rushing that they were doing."

It's a no-lose situation for this young defense. Harrison didn't break the bank, and he's hungry to show the Steelers they've made a rare error in judgment. We won't have to wait long for that: The Bengals host the Steelers in Week 2.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207892/article/james-harrison-rushing-more-for-cincinnati-bengals

who's the dipsh!t that wrote this trash?

he's hungry to show the Steelers they've made a rare error in judgment.

didnt harrision walk away from the steelers and didnt the steelers have enoughn faith in harrision that they offered harrsion a much larger deal than the bungals gave him?

flippy
05-30-2013, 03:28 PM
I'm rooting for Worilds to set the all time NFL sack record this year and make us all forget. Then everyone will be complaining that Jarvy was a wasted draft pick if that happens. Guess there's always something to complain about :)

Captain Lemming
05-30-2013, 07:21 PM
didnt harrision walk away from the steelers and didnt the steelers have enoughn faith in harrision that they offered harrsion a much larger deal than the bungals gave him?

Harrison was under contract and did not agree to a salary reduction and was subsequently released.
Since the Bengals ARE paying less yes it was a mistake on Harrison's part true.

His market value is based on the concern that he is a declining injury prone player. But if Harrison is a dominant force, say 1st team "AllPro" and his replacements struggle and the Bengals are clearly better in large part because of JH, it WOULD have been a mistake on the part of the Steelers regardless the market. JH would have proven to be worth MORE than the market valued him. If this happen it would indeed have been a "rare error in judgement" since the team and indeed THE LEAGUE expected LESS from him

THAT is what is meant here.

If you were JH YOU would want to make that same point.

squidkid
05-30-2013, 07:35 PM
well, IF harrison was allowed to play at his contract price then the steelers WOULD have had to release another player or two for cap reasons and IF those released players went on and become good/great players for another team at a cheaper price than the steelers would have LET THEM WALK and made a couple RARE Errors in judgment.
IF harrison produces better than his 2 million salary than there would be 30 other teams in the league that made a mistake by not signing him.
bottom line is NOBODY in the entire NFL thought harrison was worth more than 2 million except the steelers. if james wants to make a point, maybe he should be mad at the other 30 teams that offered him nothing

flippy
05-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Harrison was under contract and did not agree to a salary reduction and was subsequently released.
Since the Bengals ARE paying less yes it was a mistake on Harrison's part true.

His market value is based on the concern that he is a declining injury prone player. But if Harrison is a dominant force, say 1st team "AllPro" and his replacements struggle and the Bengals are clearly better in large part because of JH, it WOULD have been a mistake on the part of the Steelers regardless the market. JH would have proven to be worth MORE than the market valued him. If this happen it would indeed have been a "rare error in judgement" since the team and indeed THE LEAGUE expected LESS from him

THAT is what is meant here.

If you were JH YOU would want to make that same point.

Gotta also consider how his replacement performs. Even if Harrison plays at an All Pro level, if Worilds turns up a good season, it's not necessarily a bad decision. Or you can also look at what else would we have had to give up? Would we have had to let Ike go? Someone else?

It's just a complex math problem with no correct answer. Even if Harrison performs, it could be the right decision. If he doesn't it could have been the wrong decision because he may have still performed better for us had he stayed.

Captain QB
05-31-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm rooting for Worilds to set the all time NFL sack record this year and make us all forget. Then everyone will be complaining that Jarvy was a wasted draft pick if that happens. Guess there's always something to complain about :)

Personally, I think they are better off going with Jones starting and Worlids backing up.

Captain Lemming
06-02-2013, 02:37 AM
Gotta also consider how his replacement performs. Even if Harrison plays at an All Pro level, if Worilds turns up a good season, it's not necessarily a bad decision. Or you can also look at what else would we have had to give up? Would we have had to let Ike go? Someone else?

It's just a complex math problem with no correct answer. Even if Harrison performs, it could be the right decision. If he doesn't it could have been the wrong decision because he may have still performed better for us had he stayed.

Thus my line:
"if Harrison is a dominant force, say 1st team "AllPro" and his replacements struggle and the Bengals are clearly better in large part because of JH, it WOULD have been a mistake on the part of the Steelers regardless the market."

I am only discussing regrets if they struggle. If his replacements are as good or even close to being as good as JH I agree there would be no there is no regretting letting JH go.

Again we are discussing JH point of view not predicting anything.
JH would love for us to "regret letting him go. Some are saying there is no regretting letting him go because the market says so.
I am pointing out a scenario where we "might" regret letting him go regardless his market value.

Captain Lemming
06-02-2013, 02:47 AM
IF harrison produces better than his 2 million salary than there would be 30 other teams in the league that made a mistake by not signing him.
bottom line is NOBODY in the entire NFL thought harrison was worth more than 2 million except the steelers. if james wants to make a point, maybe he should be mad at the other 30 teams that offered him nothing

James has made a CAREER of making the rest of the league regret undervaluing him.
He was a free agent avaiable to everyone thrice.

He had a deal with the Steelers and we (not the rest of the league) reneged on it.
It is only natural if he has something special to prove to us.

Oviedo
06-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Thus my line:
"if Harrison is a dominant force, say 1st team "AllPro" and his replacements struggle and the Bengals are clearly better in large part because of JH, it WOULD have been a mistake on the part of the Steelers regardless the market."

I am only discussing regrets if they struggle. If his replacements are as good or even close to being as good as JH I agree there would be no there is no regretting letting JH go.

Again we are discussing JH point of view not predicting anything.
JH would love for us to "regret letting him go. Some are saying there is no regretting letting him go because the market says so.
I am pointing out a scenario where we "might" regret letting him go regardless his market value.

Harrison will not be as successful in the Bumgal 4-3 defense as he was in a 3-4. Letting go an injury prone 35 year old is never a bad decision.

Captain Lemming
06-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Harrison will not be as successful in the Bumgal 4-3 defense as he was in a 3-4. Letting go an injury prone 35 year old is never a bad decision.

Agreed on the part about the Bengal D. Good point.

But NEVER A BAD DECISION? REALLY? You must be a fan of the Landry pick since you are not for extending Ben much beyond his current deal :)

hawaiiansteel
06-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Maybe replacing Harrison not daunting for Steelers, after all

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/34/634de895-3cb8-5aec-a41f-6b1fea39b4c2/51b94262dd08a.preview-300.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jarvis Jones leans on a blocking dummy as he listens to coaches during the first day of their NFL football minicamp on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH — Jason Worilds is not James Harrison. Neither is Jarvis Jones, Chris Carter or anybody else the Steelers decide to put at right outside linebacker this season.

Linebackers coach Keith Butler doesn’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing. What Harrison’s potential replacements lack in snarl they make up for in options.

“I’ve never had a situation like this where I can play three different guys and have confidence in all of them that they’re going to be pretty good,” Butler said Wednesday.

They’ll have to be if they want to take the field for a team that perennially sends out one of the best defenses in the NFL. While Butler cautioned it’s way too early to figure out the depth chart, he’s confident the dropoff without Harrison won’t be significant.

“We’ve got some guys who can play,” Butler said.

And it may take using Worilds, Carter and Jones to fill in for Harrison. Worilds finished with five sacks in spot duty last season. Jones, taken 17th in the draft, led the nation in sacks last fall while playing for Georgia. Carter, when healthy, might be the best of the three in pass coverage.

Though Jones is considered the future, Carter and Worilds understand there’s a chance in the present to make an impact. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau’s defense can be difficult to pick up for young players no matter how talented they are.

Worilds and Carter have paid their dues in that fashion and they know it’s time for them to start producing.

The 25-year-old Worilds spent his first three seasons bouncing between the right side and left side. There are no such issues now, allowing him to get comfortable for the first time.

“The main thing for me this year is to finally have a home,” Worilds said. “In the past, I’ve worked at both sides, and I never knew from one day to the next where I would play. This year, I’ve worked almost exclusively on the right side, and having that craft to hone has really helped me out.”

Worilds will likely need to settle in quickly if he wants to hold off Jones. He played well at times while filling in as Harrison recovered from lingering knee issues last fall and picked up two sacks in a loss to Cleveland. The way Worilds looks at it, the more reps he gets, the better his chances of sticking around.

“I’ve always been the type of player where I learn better if I can go through it,” he said.

The Steelers finished No. 1 in total defense in 2012 but were a middling 15th in sacks.

Generating more pressure — and hopefully creating more turnovers in the process — has been a point of emphasis during the offseason. Though LeBeau commands his players to be versatile, there’s little doubt the best way to stay at the top of the depth chart is getting into the backfield and creating havoc.

Chaos happened to be Jones’ specialty at Georgia, where his 14.5 sacks were the most in the nation last fall. He has proven better than advertised covering running backs and tight ends, leading Butler to joke Jones is Pittsburgh’s “shutdown linebacker.”

That’s not why the Steelers spent a first-round pick on Jones, though. And while LeBeau allows Jones will be a “pretty good player” if the coaches don’t “mess him up” there’s also no big rush to get him on the field. Jones was able to freelance at Georgia, relying on his talent to cover up mistakes. That won’t be tolerated in the NFL.

“He doesn’t exactly know what we require from him,” Butler said. “It’s not like in college, even though he played outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. It doesn’t mean he can be plugged right in.”

Jones is hardly lagging behind. The transition is just that difficult, something Carter and Worilds know all too well.

“Nobody comes in here and picks things up right away,” Carter said. “That’s just how it is. You look at Jason Worilds, even James Harrison. He didn’t get going right away, but look at how he developed.”

Carter is spending most of his time on the left side behind LaMarr Woodley but remains an option on the right side in certain situations. And even with Harrison gone, Carter believes the overall depth has improved.

“I also think we have a better linebacker corps this year, as the younger guys got more experience, and with who they brought in,” Carter said. “So, that’s a good thing for the team. That gives us a lot of weapons on defense, and we need all we can get to win a championship.”

Something that tends to happen with regularity in Pittsburgh. The echoes of the Steel Curtain defense that won four titles in the 1970s still resonate. Worilds, in fact, wore a t-shirt honoring one of the NFL’s all-time defenses on Wednesday.

“They were the best,” Worilds said, “and I want this defense to be the best.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/maybe-replacing-harrison-not-daunting-for-steelers-after-all/article_89727dd5-3bfa-58ef-9a41-de8bbf663157.html

Oviedo
06-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Maybe replacing Harrison not daunting for Steelers, after all

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/34/634de895-3cb8-5aec-a41f-6b1fea39b4c2/51b94262dd08a.preview-300.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jarvis Jones leans on a blocking dummy as he listens to coaches during the first day of their NFL football minicamp on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH — Jason Worilds is not James Harrison. Neither is Jarvis Jones, Chris Carter or anybody else the Steelers decide to put at right outside linebacker this season.

Linebackers coach Keith Butler doesn’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing. What Harrison’s potential replacements lack in snarl they make up for in options.

“I’ve never had a situation like this where I can play three different guys and have confidence in all of them that they’re going to be pretty good,” Butler said Wednesday.

They’ll have to be if they want to take the field for a team that perennially sends out one of the best defenses in the NFL. While Butler cautioned it’s way too early to figure out the depth chart, he’s confident the dropoff without Harrison won’t be significant.

“We’ve got some guys who can play,” Butler said.

And it may take using Worilds, Carter and Jones to fill in for Harrison. Worilds finished with five sacks in spot duty last season. Jones, taken 17th in the draft, led the nation in sacks last fall while playing for Georgia. Carter, when healthy, might be the best of the three in pass coverage.

Though Jones is considered the future, Carter and Worilds understand there’s a chance in the present to make an impact. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau’s defense can be difficult to pick up for young players no matter how talented they are.

Worilds and Carter have paid their dues in that fashion and they know it’s time for them to start producing.

The 25-year-old Worilds spent his first three seasons bouncing between the right side and left side. There are no such issues now, allowing him to get comfortable for the first time.

“The main thing for me this year is to finally have a home,” Worilds said. “In the past, I’ve worked at both sides, and I never knew from one day to the next where I would play. This year, I’ve worked almost exclusively on the right side, and having that craft to hone has really helped me out.”

Worilds will likely need to settle in quickly if he wants to hold off Jones. He played well at times while filling in as Harrison recovered from lingering knee issues last fall and picked up two sacks in a loss to Cleveland. The way Worilds looks at it, the more reps he gets, the better his chances of sticking around.

“I’ve always been the type of player where I learn better if I can go through it,” he said.

The Steelers finished No. 1 in total defense in 2012 but were a middling 15th in sacks.

Generating more pressure — and hopefully creating more turnovers in the process — has been a point of emphasis during the offseason. Though LeBeau commands his players to be versatile, there’s little doubt the best way to stay at the top of the depth chart is getting into the backfield and creating havoc.

Chaos happened to be Jones’ specialty at Georgia, where his 14.5 sacks were the most in the nation last fall. He has proven better than advertised covering running backs and tight ends, leading Butler to joke Jones is Pittsburgh’s “shutdown linebacker.”

That’s not why the Steelers spent a first-round pick on Jones, though. And while LeBeau allows Jones will be a “pretty good player” if the coaches don’t “mess him up” there’s also no big rush to get him on the field. Jones was able to freelance at Georgia, relying on his talent to cover up mistakes. That won’t be tolerated in the NFL.

“He doesn’t exactly know what we require from him,” Butler said. “It’s not like in college, even though he played outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. It doesn’t mean he can be plugged right in.”

Jones is hardly lagging behind. The transition is just that difficult, something Carter and Worilds know all too well.

“Nobody comes in here and picks things up right away,” Carter said. “That’s just how it is. You look at Jason Worilds, even James Harrison. He didn’t get going right away, but look at how he developed.”

Carter is spending most of his time on the left side behind LaMarr Woodley but remains an option on the right side in certain situations. And even with Harrison gone, Carter believes the overall depth has improved.

“I also think we have a better linebacker corps this year, as the younger guys got more experience, and with who they brought in,” Carter said. “So, that’s a good thing for the team. That gives us a lot of weapons on defense, and we need all we can get to win a championship.”

Something that tends to happen with regularity in Pittsburgh. The echoes of the Steel Curtain defense that won four titles in the 1970s still resonate. Worilds, in fact, wore a t-shirt honoring one of the NFL’s all-time defenses on Wednesday.

“They were the best,” Worilds said, “and I want this defense to be the best.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/maybe-replacing-harrison-not-daunting-for-steelers-after-all/article_89727dd5-3bfa-58ef-9a41-de8bbf663157.html

Just need 6 sacks to replace the 2012 version of Harrison. I think between Worilds and Jones we could get double that.

Woodley is the one who has to get double digit sacks for the defense to be successful. I worry more about him than I do the Worild/Jones combination.

phillyesq
06-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Just need 6 sacks to replace the 2012 version of Harrison. I think between Worilds and Jones we could get double that.

Woodley is the one who has to get double digit sacks for the defense to be successful. I worry more about him than I do the Worild/Jones combination.

You need more than 6 sacks to replace Harrison. You are completely ignorning his run defense, which was still exceptional. You are also neglecting to mention that Timmons played much better when Harrison was drawing attention on defense. Timmons did nothing in the games Harrison did not play.

I do agree that Woodley playing up to his contract is a key. The Steelers cannot afford to have that much salary tied up in a guy who does not produce.

Oviedo
06-14-2013, 10:40 AM
You need more than 6 sacks to replace Harrison. You are completely ignorning his run defense, which was still exceptional. You are also neglecting to mention that Timmons played much better when Harrison was drawing attention on defense. Timmons did nothing in the games Harrison did not play.

I do agree that Woodley playing up to his contract is a key. The Steelers cannot afford to have that much salary tied up in a guy who does not produce.

Sacking the QB is difference making plays. Rarely is an opponents running game a decisive factor in the "pass first and pass often" NFL of 2013. I'll trade off some run defense for getting more sacks every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I'll also disagree with the consistent Timmons never does enought to prove his worth point of view. Timmons was the best defensive player on the the team from Game 1 to Game 16. He didn't need Harrison for that to show to anyone who wanted to see it. He was asked to do more with Harrison and Troy out than any player on that defense.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-14-2013, 10:44 AM
What you need to replace in Harrison is a player who the opponent must gameplan around. It is not always about the numbers. It is more about the presence on the field. In the past 5-10 years we have had two and a half players who fit that bill - Harrison, Troy, and at times Woodley. Luckily, in 2012 he was not that player for at least half the season. He played 13 games and in many he was subpar and I'm sure that the opposing OC recognized that. His production came in the last 6 or so games of the season.

steelz09
06-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Sacking the QB is difference making plays. Rarely is an opponents running game a decisive factor in the "pass first and pass often" NFL of 2013. I'll trade off some run defense for getting more sacks every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I'll also disagree with the consistent Timmons never does enought to prove his worth point of view. Timmons was the best defensive player on the the team from Game 1 to Game 16. He didn't need Harrison for that to show to anyone who wanted to see it. He was asked to do more with Harrison and Troy out than any player on that defense.

Early in the season, like the first few games, Timmons was not playing well. His game against the Raiders was borderline pathetic.

feltdizz
06-14-2013, 11:57 AM
What you need to replace in Harrison is a player who the opponent must gameplan around. It is not always about the numbers. It is more about the presence on the field. In the past 5-10 years we have had two and a half players who fit that bill - Harrison, Troy, and at times Woodley.

This is spot on....

Captain Lemming
06-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Early in the season, like the first few games, Timmons was not playing well. His game against the Raiders was borderline pathetic.
In other words.......while Harrison was hurt. There is a correlation

Captain Lemming
06-14-2013, 12:53 PM

It starts with stopping the run.
Third and 3 or less.....how likely are you to get a sack?

Just ask Carson Palmer how easy it is to pass when the run game is clicking

flippy
06-14-2013, 01:46 PM
In other words.......while Harrison was hurt. There is a correlation

I saw a bigger correlation when Troy came back. A lot of guys got a lot better all of a sudden. But with Timmy specifically, I think having Troy on the field frees him up to attack in the box more than play in deep coverage. While he can cover better than most LBs, I still think his explosiveness is best utilized when we allow him to attack the ball.

Oviedo
06-14-2013, 03:39 PM
I saw a bigger correlation when Troy came back. A lot of guys got a lot better all of a sudden. But with Timmy specifically, I think having Troy on the field frees him up to attack in the box more than play in deep coverage. While he can cover better than most LBs, I still think his explosiveness is best utilized when we allow him to attack the ball.

+1. Harrison did not free up Timmons, Troy did. Timmons was not called upon to drop into coverage as much when Troy plays and could attack the LOS and was free to do other things.

But he just led or was tied for the lead in tackles, sacks and INTs. I guess in some peoples minds that he was still lacking and always will be.

hawaiiansteel
06-14-2013, 04:11 PM
But he just led or was tied for the lead in tackles, sacks and INTs.

Timmons is obviously a bust! ;)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-15-2013, 12:34 AM

I'm more interested in seeing what happens the first time Harrison comes up with a questionable hit. You know, the kind of hit that would get Ed Reed a suspension that is immediately rescinded for no reason. The kind of hit that nobody else gets flagged for because they don't have the reputation, but there is no way to get that rep if the league constantly ignores the hits from other players.

phillyesq
06-17-2013, 12:41 PM

The death of the running game is greatly overstated. Teams still run well in excess of 40% of the time. There has been a shift of only a few percent since the mid90s.

If you need to bring your safeties up to stop the run, you will be more exposed to the pass. Harrison's strong run defense impacted more than just one phase of the game. This isn't fantasy football where you can just look at sack numbers and ignore everything else.

Oviedo
06-17-2013, 01:41 PM
The death of the running game is greatly overstated. Teams still run well in excess of 40% of the time. There has been a shift of only a few percent since the mid90s.

If you need to bring your safeties up to stop the run, you will be more exposed to the pass. Harrison's strong run defense impacted more than just one phase of the game. This isn't fantasy football where you can just look at sack numbers and ignore everything else.

If I had a choice I would be dominant in 60% of the game and adequete in 40% versus the reverse.

If the running game was so importnt why are RBs now just commodity players and are rarely sought after in Round 1? Its because the people who get paid to do this know that is a lesser part of the offense where OK is good enough. You can't be OK in the passing game and expect to win a championship.

phillyesq
06-17-2013, 02:45 PM
If I had a choice I would be dominant in 60% of the game and adequete in 40% versus the reverse.

If the running game was so importnt why are RBs now just commodity players and are rarely sought after in Round 1? Its because the people who get paid to do this know that is a lesser part of the offense where OK is good enough. You can't be OK in the passing game and expect to win a championship.

It's not a 40-60 split. It is closer to 45-55. And if you cannot stop the run, it's incredibly easy for a team to beat you with short passes. It's a lot easier to defend third and long than third and short. Third and long sets up opportunities for your pass rushers. In the days of "Blitzburgh" it was often third and long where you would see sacks and turnovers.

Running backs are treated as commodities because the position has a short life expectancy.

feltdizz
06-17-2013, 03:00 PM

When another Adrian Peterson type comes along you will see a RB go high in the first round.

DukieBoy
06-17-2013, 05:57 PM
When another Adrian Peterson type comes along you will see a RB go high in the first round.

AP is special beyond any other player in the NFL today. Just my humble opinion. Great on and off the field. Can't imagine he would not be anyone's first pick off the draft board. Hope he has a long shelf life at his prime.

DukieBoy
06-17-2013, 05:57 PM

AP is special beyond any other player in the NFL today. Just my humble opinion. Great on and off the field. Can't imagine he would not be anyone's first pick off the draft board. Hope he has a long shelf life at his prime.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-17-2013, 07:11 PM

Oakland Raiders (http://www.nfl.com/teams/oaklandraiders/profile?team=OAK)
JaMarcus Russell (http://www.nfl.com/players/jamarcusrussell/profile?id=RUS539462)
QB
Louisiana State

Detroit Lions (http://www.nfl.com/teams/detroitlions/profile?team=DET)
Calvin Johnson (http://www.nfl.com/players/calvinjohnson/profile?id=JOH088640)
WR
Georgia Tech

Cleveland Browns (http://www.nfl.com/teams/clevelandbrowns/profile?team=CLE)
Joe Thomas (http://www.nfl.com/players/joethomas/profile?id=THO236114)
OT
Wisconsin

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/tampabaybuccaneers/profile?team=TB)
Gaines Adams (http://www.nfl.com/players/gainesadams/profile?id=ADA289187)
DE
Clemson

Arizona Cardinals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/arizonacardinals/profile?team=ARI)
Levi Brown (http://www.nfl.com/players/levibrown/profile?id=BRO548586)
OT
Penn State

Washington Redskins (http://www.nfl.com/teams/washingtonredskins/profile?team=WAS)
LaRon Landry (http://www.nfl.com/players/laronlandry/profile?id=LAN165690)
SS
Louisiana State

Minnesota Vikings (http://www.nfl.com/teams/minnesotavikings/profile?team=MIN)
Adrian Peterson (http://www.nfl.com/players/adrianpeterson/profile?id=PET260705)
RB
Oklahoma

Speaking of being first off the draft board, how did that Jamarcus pick work out for the Raiders? :D

hawaiiansteel
06-28-2013, 09:27 PM
James Harrison top edge rusher over last five years

By Neal Coolong on Jun 28 2013

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/15545831/20121216_mje_se2_125.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Pro Football Focus ranks the former Steelers OLB James Harrison as the top edge rusher since 2008.

The Steelers asked James Harrison to take a pay cut in 2013.

Harrison declined. The Steelers released Harrison, and with him, went a player Pro Football Focus believes was the best all-around edge rusher in the league over the last five years.

That seems right. Maybe I'm biased, but we didn't see a player as all-around dominant from that position as Harrison.

PFF writes:

What pushed Harrison to the top was his ability to do it all. The Steelers' scheme asked a lot out of him, and more than you'd tend to require from a guy chiefly known as an edge rusher. Yet, not only did he impress dropping into coverage, but he was extremely productive rushing the passer, and a true force in the run game lining up chiefly as the right outside linebacker for the Steelers in each of his five years.

Harrison had outstanding pass rushing seasons, and was always effective against the run. He did well in coverage, if for no reason than his sheer intimidation.

We can celebrate Harrison's past with the team, as he will fairly be considered one of the best linebackers in the history of a franchise loaded with outstanding linebackers. Harrison isn't likely to get in the Hall of Fame due more to a shorter career than many of his contemporaries, but that remains to be seen.

In the meantime, we have to deal with seeing him wear a Bengals uniform for at least a season. This is neither fun nor pleasant, but this at least gives us a reason to remember when Harrison was on the right side; our side.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/6/28/4473806/james-harrison-steelers-edge-rusher