PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger leading the way at workouts

Sugar
04-16-2013, 02:10 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Roethlisberger-leading-the-way-at-workouts/1b4494fc-b8cf-47cf-9fed-e167bb5c05c1

And so it begins...

This is good to see!

flippy
04-16-2013, 02:22 PM
For some reason this story sounded a little manufactured. I love Ben and he's probably the toughest SOB in the history of the game. But he just doesnt seem like a natural leader. But because of the crazy offseason, the Steelers seem to be forcing him on this.

We have a lot of solid characters in the lockerroom. But I just don't think we have guys with much charisma aside from Foote and Clark.

hawaiiansteel
04-16-2013, 02:28 PM
We have a lot of solid characters in the lockerroom. But I just don't think we have guys with much charisma aside from Foote and Clark.

I agree, we don't really have any natural leaders on the offensive side of the ball now that Hines Ward is retired. guys like Ben and Pouncey are reportedly trying to step up and fill the void, hopefully they will be able to.

flippy
04-16-2013, 02:49 PM
I agree, we don't really have any natural leaders on the offensive side of the ball now that Hines Ward is retired. guys like Ben and Pouncey are reportedly trying to step up and fill the void, hopefully they will be able to.

I appreciate the effort, but I think these guys have as good a shot of being leaders as Heath or DeCastro. I don't think they can help it. I think it might take Brown or Sanders stepping up on O.

Ghost
04-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Ben - “It’s important for us to know if we want to be the best we can be it starts now" - this is clearly Ben's way of stabbing Haley in the back and showing how he doesn't have confidence in him!

Sugar
04-16-2013, 04:33 PM
If you don't believe that leaders can be made, you haven't read John Maxwell. Some guys have natural charisma that makes them leaders. Others find ways to lead and become greater than those with natural ability. I don't see how this seems in any way contrived or manufactured. Ben is out there with the young guys and everyone knows he doesn't have to be. He could be out playing golf or enjoying more time with his young family, but he is with his guys.

phillyesq
04-16-2013, 04:58 PM

I shudder to think of Pouncey as a leader. The two guys he had ties to were Gilbert and Rainey. Gilbert has preparation/training issues and Rainey had all sorts of issues. I just don't see Pouncey as an effective leader at all.

I don't know how vocal he is, but Heath provides the perfect example. No asinine antics, no running his mouth - he just does his job. Ben is the one who, by virtue of his position, should step up and really lead the offense.

Even if this is a fluff piece, it's nice to read a positive offeason article about Ben.

pittpete
04-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Reading this forum lately is like watching a soap opera.
It's funny how you think you know what goes on in the locker room because you watch 16 games and read a few articles.
Some of you make me laugh.

thor75
04-16-2013, 08:01 PM
This is great to see, I'm glad Ben is starting this season off in the right way. I would think every team needs "lead by example" types and vocal types. I hope Ben keeps this up, this would be a great way to head into TC and preseason.

RuthlessBurgher
04-16-2013, 10:06 PM
This is great to see, I'm glad Ben is starting this season off in the right way. I would think every team needs "lead by example" types and vocal types. I hope Ben keeps this up, this would be a great way to head into TC and preseason.

Ben never had to be a vocal leader before, because Ward and Farrior were always there. When Hines and Potsie retired, guys like Clark and Foote stepped up as vocal leaders, while others like Troy and Heath were more "lead by example" types. It's okay for your veteran strong safety or veteran tight end to lead by example instead of being vocal leaders, but it's important for your quarterback to become a vocal leader now that he's a veteran. Glad to see him stepping up to the plate.

flippy
04-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Ben never had to be a vocal leader before, because Ward and Farrior were always there. When Hines and Potsie retired, guys like Clark and Foote stepped up as vocal leaders, while others like Troy and Heath were more "lead by example" types. It's okay for your veteran strong safety or veteran tight end to lead by example instead of being vocal leaders, but it's important for your quarterback to become a vocal leader now that he's a veteran. Glad to see him stepping up to the plate.

I kinda think it's hard for Ben to be a vocal leader. He can definitely inspire with his play and toughness. But what's he supposed to say to guys? Whatever won't sound authentic. Ben makes his best plays when stuff breaks down and when he's not on the same page as the coaches. So the things he's gotta say to guys are not the same way he plays. It's different for a Farrior or Ward who have to work hard and do little things better than everyone else.

But guys like Ben and Troy too play so far on their own level that I'm not sure they can connect with the other guys no matter how perfectly they try.

It's the same for almost all sports. The truly great ones don't always connect with the other players because they're set apart. And then you have the whole angle of the media promoting the star/me first players and you never really hear positive encouragement toward leadership. For example, Lebron James used to get blasted for sharing the basketball with his teammates at the end of games trying to set up the best shot and being unselfish. He's not the normal star player though.

Lebron's got a Sidney Crosby type thing going on where you can just see how much he loves the game he plays. I think Crosby is the exception to this rule. The kid's the perfect leader. The kid's got passion and excitement like the sport is a game. He's the best player on the ice from a pure skill perspective, but then he also hustles more than any hockey player I've ever seen. His style of play is contagious. And then you can tell everyone genuinely loves the kid. And everyone wants to play with him.

Maybe the Rooney's should have adopted Ben and had him live with them early in his career like Mario did for Sid.

There's just something missing with Ben. For some reason, he's just not one of the guys. He is the guy. But in contrast, even though Sid is the guy, he's turned himself into one of the guys. I guess all I'm trying to say is Ben needs to become a hockey fan and learn from the kid.

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2013, 03:43 PM
There's just something missing with Ben. For some reason, he's just not one of the guys. He is the guy. But in contrast, even though Sid is the guy, he's turned himself into one of the guys. I guess all I'm trying to say is Ben needs to become a hockey fan and learn from the kid.

I wanna see the dryer from Ben's childhood home...if there are no dents from him trying to throw footballs into it as a kid, we should cut him. :p Or maybe we could just have Brooks Orpik fire a puck into Ben's face, forcing him to ingest only smoothies for a month. ;)

anger 82&95
04-17-2013, 04:23 PM
I wanna see the dryer from Ben's childhood home...if there are no dents from him trying to throw footballs into it as a kid, we should cut him. :p Or maybe we could just have Brooks Orpik fire a puck into Ben's face, forcing him to ingest only smoothies for a month. ;)Or how often he consistently threw 65-yard bombs through the neighbors' tire swing while blindfolded… in the freezing rain and snow.

flippy
04-17-2013, 05:25 PM
I wanna see the dryer from Ben's childhood home...if there are no dents from him trying to throw footballs into it as a kid, we should cut him. :p Or maybe we could just have Brooks Orpik fire a puck into Ben's face, forcing him to ingest only smoothies for a month. ;)

I can see it now, Ben asks his dad to open the window and the dryer and he runs down the street to throw a football through the window into the dryer putting the dents in the siding of the house.

Ngata re-arranging his nose was Ben's Brooks moment.

thor75
04-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Or maybe we could just have Brooks Orpik fire a puck into Ben's face, forcing him to ingest only smoothies for a month. ;)

Dont remind me, hope he's ready for the playoffs at some point. They're up 5-2 right now:Cheers

flippy
04-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Dont remind me, hope he's ready for the playoffs at some point. They're up 5-2 right now:Cheers

Ray Shero seems willing to sign anyone with talent no matter their age. Maybe he could sign Deebo as an enforcer?

thor75
04-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Ray Shero seems willing to sign anyone with talent no matter their age. Maybe he could sign Deebo as an enforcer?

I remember going to Giant Eagle and buying Kasparaitis Kruncher pickles what would they have in mind....Deebo deviled eggs?

flippy
04-18-2013, 12:20 AM
I remember going to Giant Eagle and buying Kasparaitis Kruncher pickles what would they have in mind....Deebo deviled eggs?

This is the stuff I miss not being in Pittsburgh. Do they have any other products with any current players? I saw a Heath Chocolate Bar one time I was visiting a while back.

Seems it would be easy enough to have to Le'Tang' Drink Mix.

thor75
04-18-2013, 12:29 AM
This is the stuff I miss not being in Pittsburgh. Do they have any other products with any current players? I saw a Heath Chocolate Bar one time I was visiting a while back.

Seems it would be easy enough to have to Le'Tang' Drink Mix.

I know, what's next... "Flower" condoms -- We're at our best when the shooter goes five hole"

flippy
04-18-2013, 01:14 AM
I know, what's next... "Flower" condoms -- We're at our best when the shooter goes five hole"

I can't believe its not Sutter

Jussi Juice

Geno - Sprinkle a little Geno on your meal to prevent gas

I better stop, I could easily go off on a tangent....

8467thekraken
04-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Ummm...WTF???

Ben - “It’s important for us to know if we want to be the best we can be it starts now" - this is clearly Ben's way of stabbing Haley in the back and showing how he doesn't have confidence in him!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Ummm...WTF???

I may be wrong, but I figured the OP was just being funny in the same way that everything that Ben says is somehow interpreted as him trying to take a shot at Haley, so this must be construed that way as well. Perhaps it was just an emoticon away from us realizing that.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-18-2013, 10:07 AM
This whole thing isn't as big a stretch as some make it out to be. Ben has long been the biggest supporter/leader of the Oline. Going so far as to state on the podium while holding the Lombardi "who's laughing now Oline?" So that is 5 guys who already follow him. Heath doesn't seem like the type who require much maintenance, so that is 6. As far as receivers go, whoever gets the ball loves the QB, whoever doesn't won't like the QB. The bigger issue in my mind would be the separation between O and D, and I don't hear much about that.

RuthlessBurgher
04-18-2013, 10:14 AM
I may be wrong, but I figured the OP was just being funny in the same way that everything that Ben says is somehow interpreted as him trying to take a shot at Haley, so this must be construed that way as well. Perhaps it was just an emoticon away from us realizing that.

I figured the same.

http://gettwicetheresults.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/SarcasmMeter.jpg

grotonsteel
04-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Leadership is highly over-rated....one win last season and Steelers are in play-offs. No one will be talking about leadership.

Big Ben was also present for voluntary workouts last season...nothing new here...Hopefully AB84 and Sanders are cured from fumbilitis.

Ghost
04-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Kraken - fan in T.O. and Ruthless are correct. I was goofing on how every little thing Ben says or does is construed in a negative light, even the good stuff he does gets turned upside down. I figured I was just beating someone to the punch. I'm a Big Ben fan and think the Haley stuff is ridiculous and a total non-issue. Without Ben, this team goes nowhere. And he was having a career year with Haley b/f the injury. No reason not to believe they can work magic together.

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Ron Cook: Big Ben set to atone for 2012

April 19, 2013
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Just about every NFL analyst is predicting gloom and doom for the Steelers next season. The team has lost seven starters from an 8-8 team in 2012. It's hard for the pundits to find a reason for optimism. But they all offer the same caveat.

"Pittsburgh still has a franchise quarterback. You can't ever count 'em out because of that."

That is a lot of pressure on one guy.

I asked Ben Roethlisberger about it Thursday when he stopped by to do an hour of our radio show, "Vinnie and Cook," on 93.7 The Fan.

"I've been working out for a long time," Roethlisberger said. "I only took seven days off after the last game.

That's the earliest I ever started back. I'm in great shape ...

"We just started our voluntary offseason workouts. This is the earliest I've come to those. I want to be there so those guys can see me. I want them to know that I want to be the guy this year that's ready to go and lead them. I want to get us back to a Super Bowl."

Sounded like the man isn't losing much sleep because of the pressure.

"I'm fine with people saying we're going to be terrible. 'Let's overlook them,' " Roethlisberger said. "I like that. I like being the hunter. It's kind of a fun place to be."

Roethlisberger is in a much better spot than he was after last season when the Steelers missed the playoffs for just the third time in his nine seasons as quarterback. He still takes the blame because he threw hurtful interceptions late in losses to the Dallas Cowboys and Cincinnati Bengals late in the season. The Cincinnati game still troubles him. At least he played well in Dallas. He was bad in the home game against the Bengals, start to finish. A win in that game and the Steelers would have been in the postseason.

"It killed me, to let your team down, the fans down, your coaches. To feel like it's all your fault," Roethlisberger said. "But what you have to do as a quarterback and as a professional is you have to let that burn at you

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/ron-cook-big-ben-set-to-atone-for-2012-684130/#ixzz2RE9xUbCe

DBR96A
04-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Maybe the chip is back on his shoulder.

papillon
04-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Ben can't win with some fans; if he's running workouts and getting the team together he's posing and if he's at his Georgia home fishing with Bruce Arians he's a lazy quarterback that should be watching film. There is no in between with fans and Ben, it was the same with Bradshaw, some thought he had the IQ of a rock and others loved his down home aw shucks style and his never say die attitude on the field. One thing is for sure, when both quarterbacks are winning you don't hear a whole lot of negative Nancys.

Pappy

NorthCoast
04-23-2013, 12:36 PM
For Roethlisberger to be at his best and most dangerous, he needs a supporting run game and I just don't see that happening in 2013 (it certainly can't be worse than last season, but i don't see how there will be a major advance).

thor75
04-23-2013, 12:42 PM
For Roethlisberger to be at his best and most dangerous, he needs a supporting run game and I just don't see that happening in 2013 (it certainly can't be worse than last season, but i don't see how there will be a major advance).

Lets hope we draft a good RB and see how the new o-line coach works his magic. If the line stays healthy who knows?

DBR96A
04-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Ben can't win with some fans; if he's running workouts and getting the team together he's posing and if he's at his Georgia home fishing with Bruce Arians he's a lazy quarterback that should be watching film. There is no in between with fans and Ben, it was the same with Bradshaw, some thought he had the IQ of a rock and others loved his down home aw shucks style and his never say die attitude on the field. One thing is for sure, when both quarterbacks are winning you don't hear a whole lot of negative Nancys.

Pappy
As I've said many times before, Steeler fans treat their QBs like ****. Terry Bradshaw didn't feel welcome in Pittsburgh until just a few years ago. Kordell Stewart had a bunch of petty, childish rumors made up about him and ultimately got run out of town. Now it's Ben Roethlisberger's turn to be disrespected by the fans, apparently.

NJ-STEELER
04-23-2013, 05:15 PM

Pappy

nailed it pap

DBR96A
04-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Notice how the usual suspects are nowhere to be found. If they didn't read it, then it never happened, and they can conveniently ignore this topic when they go on their ****-filled diatribes about how Roethlisberger is fat, lazy, stupid, uncoachable, not a student of the game, etc.

supersteeler
04-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Lets hope we draft a good RB and see how the new o-line coach works his magic. If the line stays healthy who knows?

The health of our O-line is a major factor, we haven't had that in the last few years and it hurts the offense trying to get continuity. A good RB should also help matters to have balance in the offense so Ben isn't pressured to relying on just passing the ball to move the chains.
It all starts up front, good blocking and protection goes a long way for an offense to have success so lets hope we get some luck this year keeping the same 5 starters on our line and avoiding the injury bug.