PDA

View Full Version : Steelers match patriots offer sheet

calmkiller
04-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Per Adam shefter the steelers matched the offer sheet. Damn it.

phillyesq
04-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Very disappointing, for all the reasons I mentioned in the other thread.

Coolie Man
04-14-2013, 06:27 PM
This front office can't do anything right

Eddie Spaghetti
04-14-2013, 06:36 PM
stupid move

supersteeler
04-14-2013, 06:41 PM
I think they made the right decision to have some stability in the WR position with a player they invested in and developed.

Jooser
04-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Steelers match offer for Emmanuel SandersPosted by Josh Alper on April 14, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/sanders-e1339669970452.jpg?w=243
Getty ImagesThe Steelers had a decision to make Sunday about whether or not to match the offer sheet wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5885/emmanuel-sanders) signed with the Patriots and they’ve made their call.
Jordan Woy, Sanders’ agent, sent out a tweet announcing that the Steelers have decided to match (https://twitter.com/JordanWoy/status/323559382371680256) the offer rather than accept a third-round pick as compensation from New England. Sanders now stands to make $2.5 million in 2013 under the terms of the offer he accepted from New England.
The Steelers can now try to work on a longer deal with Sanders in order to lower that cap number and keep him in Pittsburgh for a few more years. If they don’t, Sanders will be on track to become an unrestricted free agent after the season.
The Patriots will now likely look to the draft to round out their receiving corps. They re-signed Julian Edelman (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5440/julian-edelman) to go with Danny Amendola (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4991/danny-amendola), but their pursuit of Sanders makes it clear that they have more they’d like to do at the spot before the 2013 season gets underway.

thor75
04-14-2013, 06:45 PM
It will be interesting to see who is still on the board for the 91st pick. If they don't sign him long term, this is a mistake.

thor75
04-14-2013, 06:47 PM
I wonder if there is going to be tension between Sanders and A. Brown for his comments?

Eddie Spaghetti
04-14-2013, 06:49 PM
I wonder if there is going to be tension between Sanders and A. Brown for his comments?

wouldn't be surprising.

another reason why AB should just shut up.

supersteeler
04-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Emmanuel Sanders isn't going anywhere.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have matched the offer sheet Sanders signed with the New England Patriots last week, the wide receiver's agent, Jordan Woy, announced Sunday on Twitter.

The Steelers later confirmed the announcement.

A Steelers source told NFL.com's Albert Breer that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger intimated to coach Mike Tomlin that it would be difficult to go into 2013 having lost two of his top three receivers, and with tight end Heath Miller coming off anterior cruciate ligament surgery. The team decided it needed to do right by the quarterback.
The Steelers' salary-cap situation makes working out a long-term contract with Sanders difficult, but the Steelers remain open to getting something done.

Sanders signed the one-year, $2.5 million offer sheet with the Patriots on Wednesday. The Steelers' initial, "original pick" tender offer to Sanders was for $1.3 million.

2013 NFL Draft: Team needs
Our analysts examine each team's game plan entering the NFL draft, identifying biggest needs, potential fits and more. More ...
The decision to retain Sanders saves the the Steelers from entering a new season without two of their best playmakers on offense. Mike Wallace left the team last month in free agency to join the Miami Dolphins. Now Sanders is expected to move from the slot to take over for Wallace on the outside.

As for the Patriots, they remain in need of depth at wideout. Expect coach Bill Belichick to target the position in the 2013 NFL Draft

chiken
04-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Thank goodness..

DukieBoy
04-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Well, they've ticked off Bouchette.

IMO, there was no absolute Win or Lose in this situation (at least not yet). It can trend toward a win with a long-term reasonable contract and Sanders' health and productivity for at least a few years, a WIN if he is instrumental in another SB. It will trend toward a Lose if he gets hurt and misses alot of time, and it will be a LOSE if he will not sign a reasonable longer term contract and leaves after one year. I would have chosen to let him go, and take the 3rd round pick by a modest preponderance of the facts as I saw them.

Time now for Sanders and Ben to produce favorable results. I think Brady and Belichick could have put him in position to earn alot of money, had he been allowed to go. Not as confident that will happen for him in Pittsburgh.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Stupid. Especially if they only keep him for this season.

SidSmythe
04-14-2013, 07:22 PM
It's a good move if you have a WIN NOW attitude. But losing 2 of ur top 3 WRs in an offseason could be disastrous for a team who isn't running the ball well.

Chadman
04-14-2013, 07:40 PM

No Thor, the Steelers removed the 'problem' WR. It's all roses & rainbows from here. :)

fordfixer
04-14-2013, 07:49 PM
I missed something. What was said?

Sugar
04-14-2013, 07:49 PM
No Thor, the Steelers removed the 'problem' WR. It's all roses & rainbows from here. :)

I thought they kept Burress?? ;)

supersteeler
04-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Now that we have some stability in our starting receiver corps lets get Le'veon Bell in here to shore up the run game, and Tyler Eifert to enhance the passing game, those two additions will make Ben a happy camper.:D

Steelerphile
04-14-2013, 07:58 PM
It was the right move. Thanks, Steelers FO.

pfelix73
04-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Ditto. It was a no-brainer that this had to be done. They'll sign him to a long-term deal here this summer.....

SidSmythe
04-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Ditto. It was a no-brainer that this had to be done. They'll sign him to a long-term deal here this summer..... The only way this is a good move if they WIN the Superbowl this year OR they sign him to a long term deal.

Sugar
04-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Now that we have some stability in our starting receiver corps lets get Le'veon Bell in here to shore up the run game, and Tyler Eifert to enhance the passing game, those two additions will make Ben a happy camper.:D

With those two additions Ben wouldn't be the only happy camper.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Well, they've ticked off Bouchette.

IMO, there was no absolute Win or Lose in this situation (at least not yet). It can trend toward a win with a long-term reasonable contract and Sanders' health and productivity for at least a few years, a WIN if he is instrumental in another SB. It will trend toward a Lose if he gets hurt and misses alot of time, and it will be a LOSE and/or will not sign a reasonable longer term contract and leaves after one year. I would have chosen to let him go, and take the 3rd round pick by a modest preponderance of the facts as I saw them.

Time now for Sanders and Ben to produce favorable results. I think Brady and Belichick could have put him in position to earn alot of money, had he been allowed to go. Not as confident that will happen for him in Pittsburgh.

$$ analysis by Dukie (CIA analyst, hope he doesn't mind I've blown his cover, but it's pretty clear by the way he broke this down to the core facts, and we're all friends here right?).

Mister Pittsburgh
04-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Ditto. It was a no-brainer that this had to be done. They'll sign him to a long-term deal here this summer.....

Lets all raise our glasses in hopes we sign him to a long term deal so we have yet another part time, injury prone player eating up money.

8467thekraken
04-14-2013, 08:41 PM
I like that they kept him. It shows that they believe in Ben's opinion.
I also like it because Ben put his name on Sanders (again). It forces Ben to keep his "end of the bargain" by continuing to work with Sanders and help him become that #1 WR that Ben claimed he was. Not to mention the lobbying he did for Sanders. It's kind of an iron sharpens iron scenario that should only help the team.

I just want this young man to stay healthy and build off of last years production. Cause there is a bit of production that needs to be replaced this upcoming season.

Of course, I will be paying close attention to that NE pick late in the 3rd.

Now we wait and see.

Chadman
04-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Well, it does take away a 'need' that would have occured had he left.

Personally, Chadman actually likes Sanders more than Brown as a WR. Hopefully he can avoid the injury bug, and fumble bug.

supersteeler
04-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Lets all raise our glasses in hopes we sign him to a long term deal so we have yet another part time, injury prone player eating up money.

I would rather raise my glass to a player we developed, and invested in than to depend on a third round pick who has zero experience and might not even make the team.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2013, 09:01 PM
amazing... either way, people would have been up in arms. i hope they never read discussion boards! lol

DukieBoy
04-14-2013, 09:16 PM
$$ analysis by Dukie (CIA analyst, hope he doesn't mind I've blown his cover, but it's pretty clear by the way he broke this down to the core facts, and we're all friends here right?).

Not an analyst for them, but this witless protection program they put me in is working pretty well. I did notice I needed to edit the original post a bit. I should proofread better.

Thanks SAS. Keep playing the good music, Bud !!!

Rara
04-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Son of a bitch.

SteelBucks
04-14-2013, 09:27 PM
The only way this is a good move if they WIN the Superbowl this year OR they sign him to a long term deal.

I agree. It's only a good decision if he signs long term. If not, the Steelers lost a draft pick and have a rental player for a season.

flippy
04-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Great news.

I've felt all along that Sanders is the one with the most potential out of Wally, Brown, and Manny. He goes all out every play. He's a fighter. He brings a Hines like violence to his game and gets inside CBs heads. Now that he's past his injured foot, he can stop thinking and just executing and it will be clear to everyone just how good he is.

Now it's time to work out a long term deal. It's a shame we gave Brown all the money. It's only a matter of time til Manny proves he's worth more.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-14-2013, 09:57 PM
I like that we're either going to win Lombardi 7 this year, or go all out trying. No cautious half-a**ed, "Well we're going to rebuild but if we happen to do well, umm, that is always our goal, barf". Call me naive and irresponsible, but to me that is what separates the Steeler Way from, say the Bucs or SeaHags. If we happen not to do it, sure we'll be rebuilding even more next year, but it's like that guy in Seven Spanish Angels strapping on his gun for one last fight - we're going all out, come what may.

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2013, 10:13 PM
I agree. It's only a good decision if he signs long term. If not, the Steelers lost a draft pick and have a rental player for a season.

but hey, at least Ben is happy...:tt2

steelz09
04-14-2013, 10:27 PM
I agree w/ most here.... if he isn't signed long term, this is another dumb FO move.

papillon
04-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Okay, so many of us think it's only good if we can sign him long term. Lets hear the numbers and terms that the Steelers can fit under the cap (after June 1st when Colon comes off the books) and that Sanders will accept (this is key). I doubt Sanders signs a long term deal unless it's above his market value. He's one 16 game season away from unrestricted free agency, I'm sure he can avoid contact (and catches) just like his running mate from young money crew Mike Wallace and then try to cash in next off season.

Would anyone here sign a long term market value or slightly less this year if you were in Sanders shoes? Or, would you take the 2.5 million and play out the season and test free agency?

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2013, 10:39 PM
I agree w/ most here.... if he isn't signed long term, this is another dumb FO move.

I think if it weren't for Ben lobbying so hard to keep Sanders that Manny would now be in New England.

papillon
04-14-2013, 10:42 PM
I think if it weren't for Ben lobbying so hard to keep Sanders that Manny would now be in New England.

I don't know, they really haven't listened to Ben very much up to this point in his career. Why would they take Ben's word on an oft injured 3rd round pick?

Pappy

Chadman
04-14-2013, 10:59 PM
To be honest- given how many significant players have left the roster this season, losing 'the next guy in line' at WR might have been a massive blow to the football team. At least now the Steelers are not forced into drafting WR in Round 1.

Djfan
04-14-2013, 11:35 PM
I agree with FF. What did AB say? I didn't hear it either.

Chadman
04-14-2013, 11:43 PM
I agree with FF. What did AB say? I didn't hear it either.

Brown came out a day or 2 ago saying that the Steelers 'don't like guys not doing things the way the FO likes' or something along those lines, in relation to signing contracts. Basically, it looked like Brown was having a shot at Sanders & Wallace about contract negotiations.

Chadman
04-14-2013, 11:45 PM
The Quote:
"I don't think that they (the Steelers) really like guys that don't do things their way," said Brown. "There's a certain professional way that they go about their business and I don't think that they make decisions with guys that don't go about things in the way that they should. So in my opinion, I don't think he'll come back. It's just not smart to get a guy for one year at a price that you can get a guy for four years."

squidkid
04-15-2013, 12:24 AM
i have a feeling this is gonna be wallass 2.0

fordfixer
04-15-2013, 01:08 AM
The Quote:
"I don't think that they (the Steelers) really like guys that don't do things their way," said Brown. "There's a certain professional way that they go about their business and I don't think that they make decisions with guys that don't go about things in the way that they should. So in my opinion, I don't think he'll come back. It's just not smart to get a guy for one year at a price that you can get a guy for four years."

Thanks........

hausparty
04-15-2013, 01:50 AM
I love this signing for the simple reason of Big Ben.

We all witnessed what happens when Ben doesnt buy into something. I've followed the Steelers since I was a young boy and I already knew last year was going to suck because of Todd Haley. Everyone bashed BA for the longest time and again good or bad our QB drank his kool-aide and had some amazing success running that system. Todd Haley could of been GOD last year and even maybe this year but until BIG BEN beleives and buys into it our offense is going to suck. Letting go of Sanders would of caused the same reaction again this year with Big Ben and again you might hate that attitude on him but its who Ben is as a player. He will let it be known when he's not happy with something and after last years Pick 6 against Dallas he started to point those huge fingers of his to Haley. Bringing in a Haley boy Breaston would of been a HUGE mistake and again fingers would of started to be pointed.

Allowing Ben to have Brown, Sanders, Crotchery, and Plex gives him a sense that he got his way and hopefully he can work together with Haley.

Sometimes it's not about the numbers, the money, or the draft picks. We are the Pittsburgh Steelers and we have won a crap load of Super Bowls for just being a close knit team! We dont build fantasy football dream teams in Pittsburgh. We build a group of guys who will fight for each other and to know our QB wanted him to stay is all the signs i needed to know that this is a good decision. If for anything else to keep our QB confident in who he has around him on Sunday.

For being a crappy coach though BA sure has made it pretty far since leaving Pittsburgh! Probably a good reason why Tomlin and Ben wanted him to stick around. Oh well lets move on and hope Haley and Ben can work together or we will have yet another 8-8 season.

I'm glad #88 is staying in Pittsburgh even if its just for a year.

hawaiiansteel
04-15-2013, 02:28 AM

We all witnessed what happens when Ben doesnt buy into something. I've followed the Steelers since I was a young boy and I already knew last year was going to suck because of Todd Haley. Everyone bashed BA for the longest time and again good or bad our QB drank his kool-aide and had some amazing success running that system. Todd Haley could of been GOD last year and even maybe this year but until BIG BEN beleives and buys into it our offense is going to suck. Letting go of Sanders would of caused the same reaction again this year with Big Ben and again you might hate that attitude on him but its who Ben is as a player. He will let it be known when he's not happy with something and after last years Pick 6 against Dallas he started to point those huge fingers of his to Haley. Bringing in a Haley boy Breaston would of been a HUGE mistake and again fingers would of started to be pointed.

Allowing Ben to have Brown, Sanders, Crotchery, and Plex gives him a sense that he got his way and hopefully he can work together with Haley.

Sometimes it's not about the numbers, the money, or the draft picks. We are the Pittsburgh Steelers and we have won a crap load of Super Bowls for just being a close knit team! We dont build fantasy football dream teams in Pittsburgh. We build a group of guys who will fight for each other and to know our QB wanted him to stay is all the signs i needed to know that this is a good decision. If for anything else to keep our QB confident in who he has around him on Sunday.

For being a crappy coach though BA sure has made it pretty far since leaving Pittsburgh! Probably a good reason why Tomlin and Ben wanted him to stick around. Oh well lets move on and hope Haley and Ben can work together or we will have yet another 8-8 season.

I agree, great first post and welcome to the board! :Cheers

Steelhere10
04-15-2013, 07:06 AM
First thought for me is to take the pick and move. But a misconception coming from this board is that if he's not signed long term that we lose him in FA next year with no return value which is false. If a team sign him to a mega deal that the team don't match, then they will received a high compensatory pick next year anyway. So it's still a win win situation.

Steelhere10
04-15-2013, 07:07 AM
And we get his service this year while grooming the replacement.

Oviedo
04-15-2013, 07:25 AM

$$$$$ Quality first post.

Didn't think it would happen, but glad Sanders will be back and we are "forced" to go WR in Round 1.

aggiebones
04-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Okay, so many of us think it's only good if we can sign him long term. Lets hear the numbers and terms that the Steelers can fit under the cap (after June 1st when Colon comes off the books) and that Sanders will accept (this is key). I doubt Sanders signs a long term deal unless it's above his market value. He's one 16 game season away from unrestricted free agency, I'm sure he can avoid contact (and catches) just like his running mate from young money crew Mike Wallace and then try to cash in next off season.

Would anyone here sign a long term market value or slightly less this year if you were in Sanders shoes? Or, would you take the 2.5 million and play out the season and test free agency?

Pappy

With his injury history, he'd be a fool not to sign a legit deal.

$2.5m is not alot for a starting WR. What is the draft success rate for 3rders?
This also guarantees we use most early picks on D, which I think is more important.

Chadman
04-15-2013, 08:08 AM
What Sanders signing also means is- the Steelers have $750k to sign Ahmad Bradshaw with.

Or, in other words- they have no chance of signing Ahmad Bradshaw.

Unless they extend someone.

Called Polamalu. Or Taylor. Or Miller.

But more likely- they have no chance of signing Bradshaw.

flippy
04-15-2013, 09:53 AM
The Steelers don't seem to care what Ben or Tomlin have to say. I think II tells Colbert what to do and he does it.

So I see 3 possible scenarios here:

1. II liked Sanders

2. Dan intervened

3. Haley wanted him and Haley might be getting some say since he's now Ben's handler in this circus.

In general, I don't think it's fair to compare Manny to Wally or Brown for that manner. If you watch the WRs closely on every play, there's one guy out there that works with or without the ball and it's Manny. Does he want money? Sure, they all do. But he a different kind of kid.

I can remember WR screens going to Brown on Wally's side of the field and Wally just avoiding contact when his one block could have sprung Brown. In contrast, I've seen Manny hustle from the other side of the field to make blocks downfield for backs and WRs.

The other thing I always see Manny do is block his guy even on running plays that go away from his side of the field. Most WRs take that play off.

Even if he's a 1 year player, it's crazy to think he'll mail it in like Wally. 1. They're different players. and 2. Manny hasn't established himself - he needs to produce to get paid.

I'm not sure why Steelers fans don't like this kid better. He plays like we'd want our WRs to play. Unfortunately he's been hampered by a foot injury early on. And his rehab couldn't happen with the team during the offseason due to the labor issues. And then he gets a new coach/system in year 3.

It's been a tough start to a career. But he's got talent and a clear work ethic. Why would the Pats be willing to give up a 3rd round pick for the kid that's done next to nothing so far? That alone tells me we should have signed him.

Slapstick
04-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Ben wins!

This is okay.

papillon
04-15-2013, 10:59 AM
With his injury history, he'd be a fool not to sign a legit deal.

$2.5m is not alot for a starting WR. What is the draft success rate for 3rders?
This also guarantees we use most early picks on D, which I think is more important.

Maybe, but the "Young Money Crew" seem to have taken arrogance to an entirely different level than the Steelers are used to. It appears there are two scenarios here:

1) The Steelers have rented a known commodity for one year at 2.5 million costing an extra 1.3 million to the cap for that year

or

2) The Steelers are going to sign him long term and believe he's a long term solution at WR. Now, as I mentioned in a different thread or maybe earlier in this one, the Steelers typically don't give second contracts to WRs (Ward excluded). If the Steelers get to opening day and Sanders isn't signed, then as Steeler fans we know he probably won't be signed long term (they don't negotiate during the season and Sanders will be UFA).

Even if option two is in their plans will they have the money to extend Sanders contract? I still think the Steelers are a rudderless ship meandering about this off season. It seems they are reacting rather than acting. I think this is one they didn't plan on occurring. Not many RFAs that have a tender placed on them get offered contracts elsewhere, because typically no one wants to give up the draft pick if the team lets the player walk.

Pappy