PDA

View Full Version : Bengals working on a deal to sign Harrison

supersteeler
04-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Bengals try to sign James HarrisonUpdated: April 14, 2013, 8:56 AM ETESPN.com news services Recommend15Tweet33Comments2EmailPrintThe Cincinnati Bengals and former Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison will try to complete a deal this week, a source familiar with situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Harrison and former Miami Dolphins linebacker Karlos Dansby each visited Cincinnati last week, and while the Bengals are interested in Dansby, a deal with Harrison seems more attainable and realistic at this time.

The Bengals have a need at outside linebacker, as 2012 starter Manny Lawson signed with the Buffalo Bills this offseason.

The 34-year-old Harrison, who was set to make $6.57 million in 2013, was released by the Steelers last month after refusing to take a pay cut. His agent said his client would be open to a return to the Steelers, but the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that the team is not interested in a reunion.

Harrison was meeting with the Baltimore Ravens on the same day Baltimore reached agreement with linebacker Elvis Dumervil, which ended the team's interest in signing him. Otherwise he has received little interest from teams in free agency.

Harrison missed the first three games of the 2012 season with a minor knee injury but was one of Pittsburgh's steadiest performers over the second half of the year. He finished with six sacks, tied for the team lead, and a pair of forced fumbles as the Steelers finished No. 1 in total defense for the fourth time since Harrison became a starter.

He has 64 career sacks and was named The Associated Press' Defensive Player of the Year in 2008 after finishing with a career-best 16 sacks.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Bengals and former Steelers LB James Harrison will try to complete a deal this week. Harrison more signable than Karlos Dansby at this time.

NorthCoast
04-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Be interesting to see if this happens and for what $. My guess, he signs for less than what the Steelers offered if a deal happens.

Oviedo
04-14-2013, 10:01 AM
If Harrison signs with the Bumgals for less than he rejected from the Steelers...SCREW HIM. It will be a case of nothing more than Harrison and the Bumgals trying to stick it to the Steelers. If this happens Harrison will get his..karma!!!

phillyesq
04-14-2013, 10:09 AM
If Harrison signs with the Bumgals for less than he rejected from the Steelers...SCREW HIM. It will be a case of nothing more than Harrison and the Bumgals trying to stick it to the Steelers. If this happens Harrison will get his..karma!!!

That's awfully harsh. He got poor advice from his agent and made a bad decision. Now, the report is that the Steelers do not want him back. Is he supposed to sit home unemployed?

squidkid
04-14-2013, 12:53 PM
quit blaming the agent.
all harrison had to do was perform at the same level he has been and he would have earned all of his money. he wanted to be able to take off part of this season and this off season, like he did last year, without being penalized financially.

feltdizz
04-14-2013, 01:11 PM
quit blaming the agent.
all harrison had to do was perform at the same level he has been and he would have earned all of his money. he wanted to be able to take off part of this season and this off season, like he did last year, without being penalized financially.

Yes... thats exactly what he wanted to do...

Football is a sport where you just take off... lol. He wasnt injured he was just lazy and chillaxing.

SteelBucks
04-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Yes... thats exactly what he wanted to do...

Football is a sport where you just take off... lol. He wasnt injured he was just lazy and chillaxing.

+1.............

supersteeler
04-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Update:

After initially planning to meet Sunday to hammer out a contract, the Cincinnati Bengals and James Harrison will hold off for another day. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Sunday morning that the parties will meet Monday to work on contract details.

Free-agent tracker
NFL free agency is under way. Follow all of the latest rumors and signings in our free-agent tracker. More... The 34-year-old former NFL Defensive Player of the Year visited the team last Thursday, with heavy interest from everyone involved. Karlos Dansby remains a backup plan at linebacker for the Bengals.

The Bengals have been patient in filling their outside linebacker position with an established veteran. The process seems to be near a conclusion as the former Pittsburgh Steelers star seems bound for Cincy.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2013, 01:36 PM
That's awfully harsh. He got poor advice from his agent and made a bad decision. Now, the report is that the Steelers do not want him back. Is he supposed to sit home unemployed?

100% agreee.. Plus, if the steelers said they don't want him back (and haven't even talked numbers), if I'm him I go the the Ravens, Bengals and Browns... cuz at that point, it sounds personal... I don't blame the guy at all...

Sugar
04-14-2013, 02:09 PM
100% agreee.. Plus, if the steelers said they don't want him back (and haven't even talked numbers), if I'm him I go the the Ravens, Bengals and Browns... cuz at that point, it sounds personal... I don't blame the guy at all...

And once again, Ben will pay for another of the FO's decisions. Deebo is my favorite ballplayer of all time. I wish him success anywhere he goes except for when he plays the Steelers. Unfortunately, my suspicion is that it will be against the Steelers that he will have his greatest success. I understand that they couldn't pay the man. I get that they wanted to see what they had in Worilds. But now the strongest team in the division will just get stronger. That just hurts no matter how you parse it out.

grotonsteel
04-14-2013, 02:25 PM

I don't think it should be personal....Harrison was dumb to begin with....He did not take the pay cut even though his agent wanted that deal. Forced Steelers to cut him...all Steelers have is dead money cap...

The only way Steelers are talking to him if he agreed to play on vet min. and i don't think Harrison would have done that....

The only person to blame for this entire fiasco is Harrison...He valued himself way too much...

All i can say is god luck to him...except when playing against the Steelers..

Shawn
04-14-2013, 03:05 PM

So the Steelers ask him to stay at a 34 yr old salary. He refuses, realizes no one really wants to pay him and then crawls back. Because the Steelers didn't fall over themselves to sign him, he should have a resentment?

let me ask you something...if the Steelers allowed every vet to explore the market without consequence what kind of statement does that make to other vets? When Ben is 37 and we want him to take a pay cut, should he be able to explore the market first...then come back if it doesn't work out?

if Harrison signs with the Bengals, his name will not be spoken in my house. He will be referred to as the traitor without a name.

feltdizz
04-14-2013, 03:22 PM
And once again, Ben will pay for another of the FO's decisions. Deebo is my favorite ballplayer of all time. I wish him success anywhere he goes except for when he plays the Steelers. Unfortunately, my suspicion is that it will be against the Steelers that he will have his greatest success. I understand that they couldn't pay the man. I get that they wanted to see what they had in Worilds. But now the strongest team in the division will just get stronger. That just hurts no matter how you parse it out.

Bungles are the strongest team? Huh????

It makes sense that teams who were victimized the most by Harrison would show the most interest. I dont blame any player who wants to test the market because he thinks he is worth more. Sometimes it works out... sometimes it doesnt.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2013, 03:27 PM
I don't think it should be personal....Harrison was dumb to begin with....He did not take the pay cut even though his agent wanted that deal. Forced Steelers to cut him...all Steelers have is dead money cap...

The only way Steelers are talking to him if he agreed to play on vet min. and i don't think Harrison would have done that....

we don't know that... they said NOT INTERESTED.... they refuesed to even talk...

THAT is making it personal.... and you're right... i don't think it should be personal.. but, they did...

Mister Pittsburgh
04-14-2013, 03:44 PM
The Steelers made it personal, not Harrison. I don't blame James one bit. Hell, if it weren't for him and his instincts to is disregard the old mans defensive scheme the we lose the Superbowl to the Cardinals and Tomlin is 0-2 in the big game.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Bungles are the strongest team? Huh????
Crap - this moment sucks... because i realized... they tied for the best record (better than ours) AND everyone here seems to think the Steelers are worse than last year at this point... the ravens lost a LOT... On paper, at least, it would appear the Bungals are the divisions strongest team...

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2013, 04:01 PM
The Steelers made it personal, not Harrison. I don't blame James one bit.

There it is...
:tt2

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter:

Bengals and former Steelers LB James Harrison will try to complete a deal this week. Harrison more signable than Karlos Dansby at this time.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Sugar
04-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Crap - this moment sucks... because i realized... they tied for the best record (better than ours) AND everyone here seems to think the Steelers are worse than last year at this point... the ravens lost a LOT... On paper, at least, it would appear the Bungals are the divisions strongest team...

That's what I'm saying. Right now, the Bengals would be considered the strongest team in the division. The Ravens and Steelers have hemorrhaged talend since the end of the season, while the young Bengals have been able to maintain. Deebo will be a better OLB than their previous starter. They will have a guy that knows how to win in their locker room, which IMO, makes them even more dangerous.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-14-2013, 04:19 PM
That's what I'm saying. Right now, the Bengals would be considered the strongest team in the division. The Ravens and Steelers have hemorrhaged talend since the end of the season, while the young Bengals have been able to maintain. Deebo will be a better OLB than their previous starter. They will have a guy that knows how to win in their locker room, which IMO, makes them even more dangerous.

Bengals get stronger by adding an all-time Steeler great. That sucks, no matter how anyone tries to slice it.

Sugar
04-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Bengals get stronger by adding an all-time Steeler great. That sucks, no matter how anyone tries to slice it.

What sucks in particular to me is having to see the Bengals fans wearing their #92 jersey's... :shock:

NorthCoast
04-14-2013, 04:59 PM
how is this situation different than when Porter moved on? ... life goes on and we might find that Harrison made room for a future pro bowler in Worilds. Who knows?

DukieBoy
04-14-2013, 05:21 PM
What sucks in particular to me is having to see the Bengals fans wearing their #92 jersey's... :shock:

The number won't make those jerseys any less ugly. :) :bungalssuck

Shoe
04-14-2013, 05:23 PM

If you are dumb enough to spend your hard-earned dough on an average contributor at best, who's glory years are with the enemy... or rich enough to afford such an extravagent future dish rag... then (in either case), hats off to you.

I don't blame Harrison. He thought he was worth more (what one of us wouldn't), reality set in (he got cut), he went out in the open market and found out he isn't worth more, came crawling back and was told no thanks. As someone else said, what do you want him to do, sit at home?

Sugar
04-14-2013, 07:19 PM
If you are dumb enough to spend your hard-earned dough on an average contributor at best, who's glory years are with the enemy... or rich enough to afford such an extravagent future dish rag... then (in either case), hats off to you.

I don't blame Harrison. He thought he was worth more (what one of us wouldn't), reality set in (he got cut), he went out in the open market and found out he isn't worth more, came crawling back and was told no thanks. As someone else said, what do you want him to do, sit at home?

I can't blame James at all. For me personally, it sucks to see my favorite player of all-time's name/number on that awful uni. I'm sure if Urlacher or someone like that had joined the Steelers, there would be a lot of fans who would want the jersey even if he wasn't as great as he had once been and even if everyone knew that he'd only be around a year or two.

Oviedo
04-15-2013, 07:28 AM
I can't blame James at all. For me personally, it sucks to see my favorite player of all-time's name/number on that awful uni. I'm sure if Urlacher or someone like that had joined the Steelers, there would be a lot of fans who would want the jersey even if he wasn't as great as he had once been and even if everyone knew that he'd only be around a year or two.

That is why you are a fan of the organization and not temporary occupants of a position. The Stelers are eternal, the players aren't because they are all temps. I like players but I realize they will all leave and it is next man up.

Eich
04-15-2013, 08:32 AM

I think Steelers fans and James Harrison can direct their disappointment at the same person: Harrison's agent. You can all say that James could have accepted the Steeler's offer regardless of what the agent says - and that's true - but if I had to guess, I'd say that the agent was telling James that he could squeeze more out of the Steelers by calling their bluff and it backfired. Now both Harrison and the agent get to earn less with James playing for someone else.

Shawn
04-15-2013, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry, just don't see how the Steelers made this personal. They wanted an aging breaking down vet to take a pay cut to stay with the team. He wouldn't. He now will chase money and sign with a division rival because its all about the money. What am I missing.

flippy
04-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Odds are Gilby's not gonna be able to block him and he'll fall akwardly on James' leg and end his career.

Seriously though, I remember loving Rod Woodson, but I loved it even more when Hines Ward got in his head and really f'd with him when he played for the Ravens. As much as I love James, I'm gonna love to see a current Steeler put him on his back and run right over him, at him, and through him. Too bad Hines isn't still around cause you know he'd be looking for James earhole the first second he wasn't paying attention.

Captain Lemming
04-15-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm sorry, just don't see how the Steelers made this personal. They wanted an aging breaking down vet to take a pay cut to stay with the team. He wouldn't. He now will chase money and sign with a division rival because its all about the money. What am I missing.

I dont blame the team....but it is easy for us to understand. We arent personally involved, so we can see things logically.
For Harrison it might be personal because IT IS PERSONAL, it involves him personally.

Shawn you are right, but if I were JH, I would RATHER go to a rival EVEN IF MY LOGICAL MIND understood the Steelers POV.

You dont think Farve had something to prove when he played the Packers? Dude swept them his first year as a Viking dropping 30 and 38 on them, those two games the difference in winning the division.
Nothing could by more sweet!!!

Do you think JH would rather go to a team in the NFC and not play the Steelers?

Frankly, if I was JH or ANYBODY who got cut by my team I would RELISH the chance to show they made a mistake by staying in the division.

The move MIGHT make sense today, but if the Bengals dominate the division Harrison leads a dominant defense in tackles as the Mack LB (that is what Cincy is thinking of doing with him) that goes to the SB after sweeping the Steelers, I make a case that cutting me was a mistake regardless of what the market says.

Just like with Farve, it is understandable that the team would not pay him all that dough.
JH SHOULD have accepted the lesser deal, he will likely get LESS from the Bengals.

Nevertheless, you can bet JH will do all in his power to make this team regret letting him go.
There is no better way to do that than to stay within the same division.

It is not that the Steelers are being personal, but MOST PEOPLE in that situation WOULD take it personally because you are too close when it involves you.

Captain Lemming
04-15-2013, 02:38 PM
That is why you are a fan of the organization and not temporary occupants of a position. The Stelers are eternal, the players aren't because they are all temps. I like players but I realize they will all leave and it is next man up.

You might be surprised but I agree.
Now that he is gone, even though some like me wanted him to stay Steeler fans need to hope he DOES NOT make us regret it.
Despite my predictions that he will make us regret letting him go I hope that I am dead wrong.

Because when the front office moves are right, that means the team is better, which is all that matters.

I do not cheer for former Steelers because former Steeler success means we made a bad move.

I may dislike a move when it is made, but I hope that is was the right move.

Captain Lemming
04-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Odds are Gilby's not gonna be able to block him and he'll fall akwardly on James' leg and end his career.

LOL, classic, only Flippy type line.

Seriously though, I remember loving Rod Woodson, but I loved it even more when Hines Ward got in his head and really f'd with him when he played for the Ravens. As much as I love James, I'm gonna love to see a current Steeler put him on his back and run right over him, at him, and through him. Too bad Hines isn't still around cause you know he'd be looking for James earhole the first second he wasn't paying attention.

Agreed. Except for the Hines part doing that to JH......JH might kill the man given the chance after that.
JH scares me literally, I do not think the guy is "right" if you know what I mean. I truely think the dude shows signed of roid rage and would not be surprised at ALL if he failed a test given his demeanor and the beef he has packed on. Ward feared not one but I truly think he would not for fear of the "crazy" in JH.

Still if Hines did it I would approve......I would just fear for the guy.

Sugar
04-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Deebo is my favorite player of all-time. Of course I'll pull for him if he's not playing the Steelers. I don't have to worry about if it makes the FO look bad because I think they look bad in this case anyway. I hope he gets 20 sacks- and the Steelers get 16 wins.

The landscape of the business has changed so much, but this is like Jack Lambert (my 2nd fav all-time) going to Browns back in the day.

flippy
04-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Still if Hines did it I would approve......I would just fear for the guy.

I'd stain my shorts if James looked at me on the football field. But while James is a little crazy, I think Hines is a little crazy too. And I doubt Hines would have any fear. He'd pop up smiling if James hit him.

There was a good 5-10 year period where everyone wanted to hurt Hines. And it rarely happened.

Here's a question for you, which Steeler would you least like to take a hit from? In recent history, I think my list would be Farrior, Timmons, Clark, and then Harrison. I'm sure Harrison would take the ball away. I'd be scared as anything I could imagine if he was coming toward me. But the other 3 just destroy guys and I think it would hurt more. James might be more likely to hit me in the head and knock me out but I wouldn't feel that. But I think a typical hit from Farrior would break bones in a non football player. Timmons acceleration, speed, size might kill someone if he hits you squarely. And Clark has a complete disregard for his body and yours.

James gets this mean tag because his helmet makes the most contact, but he's usually working in smaller spaces so it doesn't seem like it would be as painful.

I didn't even consider Casey who would probably squash me like a bug.

flippy
04-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Deebo is my favorite player of all-time.

It's too hard for me to pick my favorite Steeler of all time. There's so many I change my mind constantly. I feel bad for the teams where it's easy. Even think of other Pittsburgh teams

Pirates - Clemente and it's not close
Penguins - Mario and it's not close
Steelers - I dunno, Ben, Troy, Deebo, Hines, Ham, Mean Joe, Lambert, Bradshaw, Franco, Blount, Woodson - It's a crazy list and I could add more I could argue. It changes for me day to day.

supersteeler
04-16-2013, 03:53 PM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Bengals and former Steelers LB James Harrison continue talking, but as one source texted, "Does not look like the numbers will work."
about a minute ago

Pump the brakes on the lovefest between free-agent linebacker James Harrison and the Cincinnati Bengals.

2013 NFL Draft: Team needs
Our analysts examine each team's game plan entering the NFL draft, identifying biggest needs, potential fits and more. More ...
Harrison met with the Bengals on Monday to hammer out a contract, but talks have hit a snag. "It's not going well," a source informed of the process told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. Asked by Rapoport to characterize the most recent discussions, the source added, "Doesn't look real good."

Contract talks ebb and flow. Harrison's representatives still are waiting for another response from the Bengals. It no longer seems inevitable, though, that Harrison will have the chance to take out his hatred on the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013.

If Harrison's demands are too high, the Bengals could opt for Plan B. Former Miami Dolphins linebacker Karlos Dansby still is available after visiting Cincinnati last week.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.