PDA

View Full Version : I'm warming back up to Te'o at 17

Shoe
04-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Before the GF stuff came out, I was firmly driving the Te'o to Steelers bandwagon. We need some new blood, some difference-makers on a defense that lacked them. He seemed a face-of-the-franchise type. Fast forward to the GF stuff, and I washed my hands of the thought (of drafting him). I thought that the GF stuff was a glaring red-flag as to the guy's character, as a deceptive, strange guy.

To today: At this point, I have put my faith in the FO in that if they were to take him, the issues related to his character would have been thoroughly researched and dismissed (i.e. basically, that he is an extremely naive kid... which is no crime). It does seem like the media has discounted the episode as such too.

Now as a player, he is still not without flaws. In an increasingly passing game, he is never going to be Jack Ham as a cover LB. So even at his best, at some point probably sooner than later, you're going to have to pull him on obvious passing downs... essentially making him a 2-down LB. And... the last memory we have of him on the field is stumbling around, trying to evade blocks (which he didn't) and corral Eddie Lacy (which he couldn't).

But in the end, no one can doubt his awesome production at the major D1 level. If you remove the GF drama completely, how can a team with an apparent hole at ILB, overlook possibly the most productive ILB in recent college football history.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-13-2013, 03:42 PM
the is no way in hell he is worth the 17th pick.

I will be physically ill if we take him there.

pittpete
04-13-2013, 04:00 PM
the is no way in hell he is worth the 17th pick.

I will be physically ill if we take him there.
Ditto
Need a ballhawking safety, playmaking WR/TE or a havoc causing OLB in the first

Coolie Man
04-13-2013, 06:50 PM
You need your head examined

SteelerOfDeVille
04-13-2013, 08:25 PM
it's a need. i'd be ok with it.

Dee Dub
04-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Ditto
Need a ballhawking safety, playmaking WR/TE or a havoc causing OLB in the first

And that ballhawking safety who is worthy of the 17th overall pick is who? Sorry he doesn't exist in this draft

Rara
04-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Eric Reid and Kenny Vaccaro.

Dee Dub
04-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Te'o would be a solid pick at 17 and in years to come no one would question it. Look at the level of his play over the 4 years at ND. He got better ever year including areas of deficiency (pass coverage).

SteelerOfDeVille
04-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Te'o would be a solid pick at 17 and in years to come no one would question it. Look at the level of his play over the 4 years at ND. He got better ever year including areas of deficiency (pass coverage).
Agreed. Not my top choice, but, if it's OLB, ILB, WR, RB, S, i have no problem with any of the positions. The team is in the unique position that they can take bpa at any of those positions and feel good about having a starter for years to come... my hope is that the guy they get is impactful

feltdizz
04-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Lol. ....

Shoe
04-13-2013, 09:22 PM

Yeah, that is what I learned after learning more about him. First of all, he was tremendously decorated as a high school player. He came into a huge fish bowl as a freshman and started 10 games. As you said, from that great start, he improved every. year. Until his senior year, which we know was almost historic (i.e. winning the Heisman).

I don't know why these other guys are dismissing it as a terrible pick. As I said, I have faith that the FO would investigate his personality sufficiently, that character wouldn't be a worry. As a football player--How could you NOT like a 4-year starting ILB from the University of Notre Dame, who displayed a knack for big-plays that he did?

birtikidis
04-13-2013, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't mind Te'o but think that there are guys that I'd rather take there. We have little depth at WR and S. I feel like we need a playmaker on offense. Ben won't be here forever so I'd like to give him some weapons. I think that TE that everyone is talking about would probably be a smart pick there just because he plays more like a WR than a TE.

Shoe
04-13-2013, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't mind Te'o but think that there are guys that I'd rather take there. We have little depth at WR and S. I feel like we need a playmaker on offense. Ben won't be here forever so I'd like to give him some weapons. I think that TE that everyone is talking about would probably be a smart pick there just because he plays more like a WR than a TE.

Oh, I'm right with you. I'm not saying he is #1 on my radar by no means. I'm just saying: I was all-for it four months ago, totally against it from then til now, and now--I would be fine with it if we picked him.

But there are many other players I hope will be there when we pick.

feltdizz
04-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Is Teo the BPA at 17?

squidkid
04-14-2013, 12:48 PM
just think of the cap savings with teo also

we could probably dupe this dolt into signing a contract where he pays the steelers every year

feltdizz
04-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Yeah, that is what I learned after learning more about him. First of all, he was tremendously decorated as a high school player. He came into a huge fish bowl as a freshman and started 10 games. As you said, from that great start, he improved every. year. Until his senior year, which we know was almost historic (i.e. winning the Heisman).

I don't know why these other guys are dismissing it as a terrible pick. As I said, I have faith that the FO would investigate his personality sufficiently, that character wouldn't be a worry. As a football player--How could you NOT like a 4-year starting ILB from the University of Notre Dame, who displayed a knack for big-plays that he did?

People dismiss this kid because they watched the BCS championship and he looked overwhelmed and couldnt bring down the Bama RB's by himself. Then he skipped the Senior Bowl which made people wonder if he was afraid of being exposed... then the fake GF came up... then he had a slow 40 at the combine...

Now he did have a great senior year but the previous 3 ND's defense was ehhhh... a little sketchy.

grotonsteel
04-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Teo at #17 will be a huge reach....Steelers will have 2 top-20 1st Rd picks at ILB who rarely rush the QB...you got to be kidding me....

Colbert should be immediately fired if Teo is 1st Rd pick...

Shawn
04-14-2013, 02:57 PM
And then we should sign Mike Adams to a 100 million 10 yr contract, and put the nail in the Steeler coffin.

Dee Dub
04-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Eric Reid and Kenny Vaccaro.

You obviously do not know much about either if you consider them ball-hawk safeties. Vacarro had 5 INT's over 4 years and Reid who had a down year this past year had 6 over 3 years.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Teo at #17 will be a huge reach....
Based on what? Just curious... in your opinion, what makes the kid a reach? wait... a HUGE reach?

Captain Lemming
04-15-2013, 01:44 AM
just think of the cap savings with teo also

we could probably dupe this dolt into signing a contract where he pays the steelers every year

Hey Manti, take my word for it, the contract is 100 mil over 5 years......you dont need no stinkin agent, you dont even have to read it, it is so long and boring, just sign on the dotted line here......

You seem like a lonely kid.....you can date my girlfriend......Morgan Fairchild......(I know she's old enough to be his mom but work with me here)

Yeah Manti, ....thats the ticket

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m63ao1DtPs1qdjhpx.jpg

grotonsteel
04-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Based on what? Just curious... in your opinion, what makes the kid a reach? wait... a HUGE reach?

Skills apart why would anyone want to invest 2 Top-20 draft picks at ILB position??? Its not a premium position but Steelers will be investing two mid-first Rd picks on that position...It does not make sense to me...

I am looking for a game-changer at 17.

feltdizz
04-15-2013, 09:47 AM

what doesn't make him one?

flippy
04-15-2013, 09:57 AM
If I'm using pick 17 on an ILB, that kid better be as explosive as a Timmons or Kendrell Bell or have the range and athleticism of a Jack Ham.

Teo might not even be as talented as Larry Foote.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Skills apart why would anyone want to invest 2 Top-20 draft picks at ILB position??? Its not a premium position but Steelers will be investing two mid-first Rd picks on that position...It does not make sense to me...

I am looking for a game-changer at 17.
They play 4 LBs and START 2 ILBs that require different skillsets... just as you might invest multiple first rounders on o-linemen or WRs if there is a need, you invest in the LBs if you need one. "because we invested in one already" is irrelevant, if you need one.

somebody give me a reason other than just "cuz"....

SteelerOfDeVille
04-15-2013, 10:54 AM
If I'm using pick 17 on an ILB, that kid better be as explosive as a Timmons or Kendrell Bell or have the range and athleticism of a Jack Ham.

Foote? Really? C'mon flippy, don't let the Ala game influence your thinking... before that game, he was considered a top 10 pick... IMO, we simply need a run stuffer. No, he's not a Mike Singletary, but, he does have good instincts and plays the run well...

feltdizz
04-15-2013, 11:09 AM

That's my issue... I think he will be a solid pick in the 3rd but at 17? I think anyone who takes him in the first will be disappointed...

feltdizz
04-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Foote? Really? C'mon flippy, don't let the Ala game influence your thinking... before that game, he was considered a top 10 pick... IMO, we simply need a run stuffer. No, he's not a Mike Singletary, but, he does have good instincts and plays the run well...

Top 10 pick by who? People slurping the ND glory and GF story? Nah.. I think he was a top 10 pick like Tebow and Quinn. Great clips, successful career in college but when you look at him up close and kick the tires vs other ILB he doesn't really stand out like that.

The whole ND D played the run well this year.. but last year and the year before? I think a lot of people were swayed by his performance this year AND the GF story. Once the story was exposed I think scouts went back and looked at him a second time and determined he was good.. but not GREAT.

grotonsteel
04-15-2013, 11:42 AM
They play 4 LBs and START 2 ILBs that require different skillsets... just as you might invest multiple first rounders on o-linemen or WRs if there is a need, you invest in the LBs if you need one. "because we invested in one already" is irrelevant, if you need one.

somebody give me a reason other than just "cuz"....

You can't have 1st Rd picks in each and every position. Steelers are already paying an ILB 10 million/yr. One does not need a first Rd pick besides him. Timmons should make another mid-round player look good....

Steelers LB corp already have two 2nd Rd players and one 1st Rd player..Time to strengthen another position.

Someone wants a thumper get it in mid-round...

How is Teo special than someone like Bostic??

flippy
04-15-2013, 12:25 PM

You're forgetting how good Foote was in college. Foote was one of the best college LBs the year he came out. I had this conversation with DeeDub when Teo was still considered a top 10 pick. Foote had 26 TFL his senior season. Larry's still one of the smartest LBs in the game. He's not big. He's not fast. But he's always in the right spot. He's got some of the best instincts in the game. I've even said give me the LB version of Larry Foote that either has size or speed and we've got the perfect LB. I think Spence is that guy. He's Larry with speed.

Re: Teo, I'm not just focused on his last game. I think he's about the same size/speed as Foote. A great college player. But he won't be special in the NFL. I'd take Teo in the 4th just like Foote if he's still available. I think they're basically the same player.

The only difference, Larry didn't have the media hype because of his personal life. The media made Teo a top 10 pick. His play makes him a mid round pick imho.

Shoe
04-15-2013, 01:21 PM
The only difference, Larry didn't have the media hype because of his personal life. The media made Teo a top 10 pick. His play makes him a mid round pick imho.

Huh? The guy had seven INT's as a senior. He was a freshman starter. As a sophomore, he had the highest tackle total at ND in 27 years. As a junior, he matched that production as a junior and won some national acclaim. As a senior, he topped those seasons with a season for the ages (save for his BCS performance obviously). He was durable (never missed significant time)...

How in the world did the media make the guy into a Top 10 pick? How does his play make him a mid round pick?

papillon
04-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Huh? The guy had seven INT's as a senior. He was a freshman starter. As a sophomore, he had the highest tackle total at ND in 27 years. As a junior, he matched that production as a junior and won some national acclaim. As a senior, he topped those seasons with a season for the ages (save for his BCS performance obviously). He was durable (never missed significant time)...

How in the world did the media make the guy into a Top 10 pick? How does his play make him a mid round pick?

For the most part it's one game, unfortunately for Te'o that one game was viewed by millions and then the whole debacle with the girlfriend. If he had played a great game against Alabama and had the girlfriend problem people would overlook the girlfriend thing. However, unfortunately for him he played pretty bad in front of the world. You can recite his stats for the four prior years, but everyone now thinks they were a product of the Notre Dame defense and low caliber opponents.

And, now they're questioning his intelligence and judgment based on the girlfriend debacle, it's too bad for him. He'll still be a relatively high pick and will in all likelihood play well in the NFL. I hope the Steelers stay away from him though for the reasons above. It's difficult to remove the images of the championship game from your short term memory.

Pappy

flippy
04-15-2013, 01:58 PM

Being great in college doesn't translate to the NFL level. Teo had a great college career. I just think he's a little short and slow to make a major impact at the next level. I think he'll work hard. He'll play smart. But he's got his physical limitations.

Just an opinion. I'd look at him as a 3rd or 4th rounder and think he'd be great value there. I don't see him as a difference maker at the next level. He'll be a liability in coverage. And I think he needs a great DLine in front of him to keep him clean to make tackles.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-15-2013, 02:12 PM
For the most part it's one game, unfortunately for Te'o that one game was viewed by millions and then the whole debacle with the girlfriend. If he had played a great game against Alabama and had the girlfriend problem people would overlook the girlfriend thing. However, unfortunately for him he played pretty bad in front of the world. You can recite his stats for the four prior years, but everyone now thinks they were a product of the Notre Dame defense and low caliber opponents.

And, now they're questioning his intelligence and judgment based on the girlfriend debacle, it's too bad for him. He'll still be a relatively high pick and will in all likelihood play well in the NFL. I hope the Steelers stay away from him though for the reasons above. It's difficult to remove the images of the championship game from your short term memory.

Pappy

:Bow:Cheers

what you say here is why, although he's not my top choice, i do not consider him a BAD choice as many in this thread are saying.

BTW, flippy, foote was 225 coming out of college... he was light in the pants and struggled to hold the point of attack... that's the biggest difference.

flippy
04-15-2013, 02:42 PM
BTW, flippy, foote was 225 coming out of college... he was light in the pants and struggled to hold the point of attack... that's the biggest difference.

But they're both about the same size now. And I suspect Teo may have a hard time adding any more size without becoming too slow.

feltdizz
04-15-2013, 03:23 PM

Did you watch ND these last 4 years? Until last year their O was pretty bad so the D put in overtime... not crazy to see a lot of tackles. Tackles for loss, fumbles, etc..are more important IMO.

The reason some think the media made him top 10 is a lot of people who watch ND could see the DL upgrade was tremendous last year. Take away the NBC exposure and GF story and he is probably a 3rd rounder.

Whether some want to admit it or not the GF story put him front and center. They did a great job getting the luck of the Irish in a few games.

I still can't see how they called the PI call in the PITT game nore how the kicker missed that freaking chip shot. lol :mad:

SteelerOfDeVille
04-15-2013, 05:56 PM
But they're both about the same size now. And I suspect Teo may have a hard time adding any more size without becoming too slow.

except, you compared their college size and production and that they were both slow coming out... if foote is his size now, he's undoubtedly much slower... just sayin...

FWIW, our great hope (Spence) ran a 4.71 last year at the combine... pretty sure that's about what Manti ran at his pro day...

Vader
04-15-2013, 08:07 PM
The problem with the Bama game wasn't that he just had a bad game. Many believe he was exposed. He was physically beaten. He absolutely couldn't handle blockers. And when he was able to read the play he couldn't tackle the RB. Lacy just through him to the ground once. Then his speed was exposed when both RBs just ran around him. He was playing against guys that are going to be in the NFL next year (with the exception of Yeldon) and he was just horrible. Yes, the rest of the team was outclass as well but when it was one on one Te'o looked slow and weak.

I'd never take him in the 1st round. In the later rounds maybe.

flippy
04-15-2013, 11:04 PM
except, you compared their college size and production and that they were both slow coming out... if foote is his size now, he's undoubtedly much slower... just sayin...

FWIW, our great hope (Spence) ran a 4.71 last year at the combine... pretty sure that's about what Manti ran at his pro day...

Good point on Foote size now vs then. Maybe Teo becomes big Foote in the NFL and turns out to be the LB I always wanted. I still wouldn't use a premium pick on him.

I didn't realize Spence is that slow. He looks a lot faster on tape. But again, he wasn't a premium pick either.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-16-2013, 10:23 AM
So how many of you think Te'O will fall out of the 1st to the 2nd? How many of you would be happy if the Steelers picked him in the 2nd? ILB draft trend plus Te'O media circus....Hmmm.

feltdizz
04-16-2013, 01:00 PM
So how many of you think Te'O will fall out of the 1st to the 2nd? How many of you would be happy if the Steelers picked him in the 2nd? ILB draft trend plus Te'O media circus....Hmmm.

I don't want him at all because of the media circus but I wouldn't be nearly as angry if we got him in the second vs the 1st. I would still be angry though..lol

BradshawsHairdresser
04-16-2013, 01:14 PM
My invisible girlfriend thinks he'd be a great fit for the Steelers...

SteelerOfDeVille
04-16-2013, 01:17 PM

If for some reason he fell out of the first, was on the board in the 2nd and the team PASSED on him.... I might become a Ravens fan! (OK, it's not that bad... but, if he went more than 10 picks into the 2nd, I imagine the team would trade up a handful of spots to get him...

flippy
04-16-2013, 02:10 PM
If for some reason he fell out of the first, was on the board in the 2nd and the team PASSED on him.... I might become a Ravens fan! (OK, it's not that bad... but, if he went more than 10 picks into the 2nd, I imagine the team would trade up a handful of spots to get him...

I'd consider him in the 3rd or 4th. But I think he'll go in round 2-3.

hawaiiansteel
04-16-2013, 02:40 PM
I'd consider him in the 3rd or 4th. But I think he'll go in round 2-3.

Mock Draft Digest: The steady rise of Manti Te'o

By Evan Hilbert | CBSSports.com
April 15, 2013

The Manti Te'o downward spiral is certainly well-known, but it deserves revisiting given recent events. Te'o, once a first-round lock, tumbled after a hoax involving his deceased "girlfriend" was revealed and, later, his uninspiring play against Alabama in the BCS National Championship Game.

Lately, however, Te'o has been a steady climber on draft boards. So much so, in fact, that the majority of pundits have him going in the first round, despite concerns about his speed. Still, four out of the five draft analysts -- NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks, ESPN's Todd McShay, SBNation.com's Matthew Fairburn, and CBSSports.com's draft insider Rob Rang -- reviewed this week have Te'o being selected in the first round.

The question now becomes: Who takes Te'o? The Notre Dame linebacker reportedly met last week with both the Dolphins and Giants, but Te'o going to the Vikings at 23 (or 25) seems to be the consensus. Three of the four pundits who have Te'o going in the first 32 picks have him ending up with the Vikings, with McShay putting him 32nd with the Ravens -- despite his colleague's suggestion that there would be "no way" Te'o falls to Baltimore.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22077565/mock-draft-digest-the-steady-rise-of-manti-teo