PDA

View Full Version : Harrison to Meet with Bengals

phillyesq
04-11-2013, 12:15 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/11/bengals-james-harrison-meet/

Ugh. I'd rather not see James end his career in those awful uniforms and with that awful franchise. I'd rather see him go to the NFC, if anything (I'd love to see him return to the Steelers but really doubt that it happens).

I also don't want to see James added to what is already becoming a decent defense.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-11-2013, 12:28 PM
honestly, "best-case" the steelers re-sign him to a 2-3 year deal and eliminate a position of immediate need for the upcoming draft... Seems like there's just to dang many to fill in one draft... Seems to me that they're presently backed into a corner where they need to knock this draft out of the park...

Mister Pittsburgh
04-11-2013, 12:30 PM
honestly, "best-case" the steelers re-sign him to a 2-3 year deal and eliminate a position of immediate need for the upcoming draft... Seems like there's just to dang many to fill in one draft... Seems to me that they're presently backed into a corner where they need to knock this draft out of the park...
2-3 year deal? wouldn't that make him 38 years old? no thanks.

thor75
04-11-2013, 12:57 PM
signing with a division rival is the worst case scenario if that happens. who's our LT again?? Poor Ben, I'll bring the yellow crime scene tape if someone wants to bring the chalk.

Shawn
04-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Good, then we will let Mike Adams handle him. Mike is a beast and will whoop on Harrison just to show him whats up.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-11-2013, 01:16 PM
2-3 year deal? wouldn't that make him 38 years old? no thanks.
You look at it too simple... depending on the signing bonus and structure of contract, he very well could be an easy cut for example, a fat contract with roster bonus a year from now that he never sees means "not really a fat contract at all"... splitting the signing bonus over the years is where the "cap hit" comes in... so, if he has a $3mil SB, with a $3 mil roster bonus(that he'll never get), it's much easier to stomach a 1mil cap hit a year or two from now if we land a young stud that beats him out... in the meantime, you can draft that young stud in the 3rd instead of considering him in the 1st...

You can look at the prospects being brought in and know, they don't trust Worilds.

flippy
04-11-2013, 02:07 PM
If Harrison plays in the AFCN he's getting 10 sacks in 2 games against the Steelers every year. Even if he's 45 as long as Ben's still around. Ben's a hold the ball forever QB and James is a never give up LB.

Seriously James playing in the AFCN doesn't bode well for us. And Ben's also more likely to get hurt cause you know James would love to end our season.

It would present the ultimate dilemma for Heir Goodell - to fine or not fine a helmet shot by James on Ben. Goodell's brain may explode every time it happens.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-11-2013, 02:59 PM
You can look at the prospects being brought in and know, they don't trust Worilds.

So, what you are saying then is that since we had to bring Foote back to play ILB, and still don't have a replacement, and Worilds sucks, is that we should of drafted Sean Lee afterall and Tomlin sucks at drafting?

Or that since we passed on Lee we should of drafted James Laurenitus instead of a 3-4 DE in the first round whose primary job is 'eat up blockers' for our LB's?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-11-2013, 03:13 PM
The Steelers brought in Butler for depth & competition...And the conclusion drawn was the Steelers have not faith in Worilds? The Steelers are an injury away from Carter, Robinson, or a rookie starting. Butler would have pushed both Worilds & Woodley as well as Carter, Robinson, & a rookie(s). Adding Butler to the roster would have moved OLB down the list in the draft and allowed them to focus on other needs where they may be able to get a rookie on the field. That was just smart business if they could have got him for the price they wanted. So now, the spot belongs to Worilds & it will be his to lose. They will have to draft one within the 2-4 range IMO and hope there is enough push to weed one of Carter or Robinson out.

Sugar
04-11-2013, 04:15 PM
signing with a division rival is the worst case scenario if that happens. who's our LT again?? Poor Ben, I'll bring the yellow crime scene tape if someone wants to bring the chalk.

What happened when they played in college? :HeadBanger

This means that the team would be playing four games against Harrison/Dunlap/Atkins and Suggs/Dumervil. Better hope that investment in the OL pays off or Ben could end the year in a full body cast. Of course, I will love to hear all the fans around here loving on Deebo after all their years of crying about him.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-11-2013, 06:02 PM
People can rip the Bengals all they want, but they played postseason ball last year while we watched. Marv Lewis has a decent squad.

Captain Lemming
04-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Bengals win the division with Deebo. Easy

I find it very interesting that he has only dealt with division foes. He has shown interest in EVERY LAST ONE.

One might assume that they have more interest because they have been on the other side of JH domination in the past.

But I wonder......is his agent being sent specifically to division rivals to drum up interest?
Remember JH also mentioned the Browns, though to my knowledge they have not shown interest in him.
Is JH especially desirous of making the Steelers regret letting him go by PURSUING division rivals, rather than those teams pursuing him?

Though some disagree, the JH that ended the season is a pro bowl lock and would wreak havoc on our team specifically.

I hope I am wrong but the thought of him on the Bengals would be a disaster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/11/bengals-james-harrison-meet/

Ugh. I'd rather not see James end his career in those awful uniforms and with that awful franchise. I'd rather see him go to the NFC, if anything (I'd love to see him return to the Steelers but really doubt that it happens).

I also don't want to see James added to what is already becoming a decent defense.

supersteeler
04-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Update: NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Newtork's "NFL Total Access" that the Bengals liked what they heard from Harrison on Wednesday night and Thursday, but there will be no immediate signing. Asked if Harrison could help, a Bengals source replied, "We think so. Really good attitude, really good personality." It's likely that the Bengals will eventually sign either Harrison or Karlos Dansby, according to Rapoport.

Shawn
04-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Any ex Steeler who signs with a division rival has shown his true colors. I have no desire to have him in the BnG.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Any ex Steeler who signs with a division rival has shown his true colors. I have no desire to have him in the BnG.
Nah man. How can you blame him when we don't even want him. Don't be shocked if he rattles off a solid dozen sacks while Worilds doesn't stack up.

Oviedo
04-11-2013, 09:27 PM

Agree. It makes me laugh how everyone thinks Harrison is still the DPOY. He has been nothing more than an average OLB the past two years and will be the same for whoever he signs with.

Sugar
04-11-2013, 09:32 PM
This would be like Jack Lambert going to the Browns back in the day. Harrison is my all-time favorite Steeler. I get that he parted ways with the team. The economics weren't right. I was, however, hoping that he'd go to New Orleans or Philly or something. The idea of seeing Bengals fans with #92 Harrison jersey's on makes me vomit in my mouth a little.

Deebo still has a good year or two in him outside of a freak injury and would be our best OLB if he was on the team. Can Ben and Adams/Gilbert maybe pool some money to send him on a nice year-long vacation? It might be in their best interest. This is not good. Not good at all. My only hope would be that maybe he doesn't do as well in a 4-3 scheme. Ugh!!!

Shawn
04-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Nah man. How can you blame him when we don't even want him. Don't be shocked if he rattles off a solid dozen sacks while Worilds doesn't stack up.

we want him, offered him a contract. He just wants paid.

steelz09
04-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Damn this sucks...

Cheaper James Harrison playing OLB at 34 y/o >>>>> Overpaid Ike Taylor playing CB at 33.5 y/o

The Steelers personnel decisions this offseason have been terrible.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Agree. It makes me laugh how everyone thinks Harrison is still the DPOY. He has been nothing more than an average OLB the past two years and will be the same for whoever he signs with.

People thought much the same about Porter when we kicked him to the curb. He's done. Has bad knees.

Captain Lemming
04-12-2013, 01:49 AM

Harrison, misses entire month of Sept, played half the season recovering has 70 tackles and 6 sacks

D. Ware, Probowl olb with 56 tackles 11 sacks plays all 16 games
R Mathis Probowl olb with 33 tackles and 8 sacks plays 12 games

70 tackles in 12 games aint average in a 3/4.

But get this:

Last 7 games Harrison not only had more tackles than every AFC Probowl OLBer, but had MORE SACKS than any AFC probowl OLBer with the exception of Von Miller.

The last 7 games, Harrison EASILY played at a Probowl level outperforming his competition.

All Harrison needs to do is avoid injury, and the dude was GETTING STRONGER as the season wore on.

Chadman
04-12-2013, 02:35 AM
Harrison, misses entire month of Sept, played half the season recovering has 70 tackles and 6 sacks

But get this:

Last 7 games Harrison not only had more tackles than every AFC Probowl OLBer, but had MORE SACKS than any AFC probowl OLBer with the exception of Von Miller.

The last 7 games, Harrison EASILY played at a Probowl level outperforming his competition.

All Harrison needs to do is avoid injury, and the dude was GETTING STRONGER as the season wore on.

No disagreement there at all. Financially, however, a sacrifice needed to be made, and Harrison's age & cap number did not make for a good mix. Add to that- the Steelers had spent a 2nd round pick on the guy backing him up- the progression plan was in place.

Captain Lemming
04-12-2013, 02:47 AM
No disagreement there at all. Financially, however, a sacrifice needed to be made, and Harrison's age & cap number did not make for a good mix. Add to that- the Steelers had spent a 2nd round pick on the guy backing him up- the progression plan was in place.

Sure, and we tried to sign him. Understandable.
But my comments are a response to the idea that JH is "average".
He will be a scary beast that now becomes OUR problem if he is signed by cincy.

I am glad he is getting older, this should be a short term issue.
I have no doubt a vengful JH will wreak havoc on us next year.

Eich
04-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Landing on any AFC North team but the Steelers will make for a disgusting end to his career. What a shame to lose such an icon. I blame Harrison's agent more than anyone.

phillyesq
04-12-2013, 08:14 AM

The man is looking for a job. Has nothing to do with "true colors."

If my firm let me go, I'd consider going to a firm that I often see on the other side. There is a competitive drive, and a desire to prove the other party wrong about your own abilities. Not to mention, who knows your body of work better than those that see you most often?

phillyesq
04-12-2013, 08:16 AM

But get this:

The suggestion that Harrison was an "average" OLB is absolutely absurd. Thank you for providing the stats to quantify that.

supersteeler
04-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Karlos Dansby had six sacks in three years for the Dolphins

Mr. Harrison had that many in a half season last year, even in a 4-3 Harrison would find his way to the QB. I would think JH would be the favorite of the two for the Bengals at this time.

Slapstick
04-12-2013, 08:45 AM
The man is looking for a job. Has nothing to do with "true colors."

If my firm let me go, I'd consider going to a firm that I often see on the other side. There is a competitive drive, and a desire to prove the other party wrong about your own abilities. Not to mention, who knows your body of work better than those that see you most often?

While this is true, consider all the factors (hypothetically)...

Did your firm let you go? Unfortunately, yes...

Did your firm try to keep you? Also yes, but they did ask you to take a pay cut...insulting, no doubt...

Would you now sign with another firm who offered you less than half of the reduced salary your original firm offered?

With whom would you be angry?

Mister Pittsburgh
04-12-2013, 09:09 AM
While this is true, consider all the factors (hypothetically)...

Did your firm let you go? Unfortunately, yes...

Did your firm try to keep you? Also yes, but they did ask you to take a pay cut...insulting, no doubt...

Would you now sign with another firm who offered you less than half of the reduced salary your original firm offered?

With whom would you be angry?

If that reduced salary was still on the table, Harrison would sign it. It was reported here by the local media that the Steelers made the decision they didn't want him back at all.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/2013/03/26/steelers-to-harrison-we-dont-want-you/

So with them saying they don't want him at any salary, how can you blame him from seeking work no matter the employer, especially considering he didn't get a big contract until late in his career.

Meanwhile Troy, who has missed more time than Harrison, keeps his full contract amount and same with Ike.

steelz09
04-12-2013, 10:05 AM

But get this:

Exactly. It was blatantly obvious that Harrison was not healthy early in the year and he turned it on towards the end. That is why I would have kept Harrison over Ike. Ike isn't a playmaker and definitely isn't worth elite CB money at this stage. Harrison impacts the game moreso than Ike ever has or ever will.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Raven #2 was week 11. So that would be as the season went on. Showed up big in that game...But depleted his tank. The next 3 weeks (Weeks14-16) of must win football games he went 10 TT & 1 sack. The sack was a botched shotgun snap in the 4th against the Bengals he got credit for when Dalton picked it up and took off running to stay in FG range. Tackled at the LOS by Harrison for a sack of 0 yards. Last meainingless game of season against a Browns team that went home after week 8, he puts together an auditon for a new team. That isn't anything close to impact player. That isn't anything close to the Harrison we knew. He didn't get better as the season went on...He broke down-Down the stretch. It happens to even the best of them. So the Steelers moved on...Like they should have. He didn't want to take reduced salary & a reduced role.

Harrison didn't show anything that scared the teams the Steelers played last year. Harrison will try and prove a point early. He could very well have one good game in him versus the Steelers. But he is no different than everyone else. If he stays healthy, his body wil break down as the year goes on and he will become a non factor like he did down the stretch for the Steelers. The arrow is pointin down and nothing will change it.

I don't blame him going to play somewhere else if he thinks he can still play. He will always be one of my favorites. Wish him well and hope he finds success. I just support the decision the Steelers made.

Oviedo
04-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Raven #2 was week 11. So that would be as the season went on. Showed up big in that game...But depleted his tank. The next 3 weeks (Weeks14-16) of must win football games he went 10 TT & 1 sack. The sack was a botched shotgun snap in the 4th against the Bengals he got credit for when Dalton picked it up and took off running to stay in FG range. Tackled at the LOS by Harrison for a sack of 0 yards. Last meainingless game of season against a Browns team that went home after week 8, he puts together an auditon for a new team. That isn't anything close to impact player. That isn't anything close to the Harrison we knew. He didn't get better as the season went on...He broke down-Down the stretch. It happens to even the best of them. So the Steelers moved on...Like they should have. He didn't want to take reduced salary & a reduced role.

Harrison didn't show anything that scared the teams the Steelers played last year. Harrison will try and prove a point early. He could very well have one good game in him versus the Steelers. But he is no different than everyone else. If he stays healthy, his body wil break down as the year goes on and he will become a non factor like he did down the stretch for the Steelers. The arrow is pointin down and nothing will change it.

I don't blame him going to play somewhere else if he thinks he can still play. He will always be one of my favorites. Wish him well and hope he finds success. I just support the decision the Steelers made.

$$$$ Harrison's is on the downside. he will take whatever he can get now but no way was he worth even the $4M reduced the price the Steelers were offering.

Sugar
04-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Even if Deebo isn't what he once was, there are two games a year that he will show up for. That will not be good for the Steelers. :nono

Mister Pittsburgh
04-12-2013, 11:34 AM
$$$$ Harrison's is on the downside. he will take whatever he can get now but no way was he worth even the $4M reduced the price the Steelers were offering.

Is Troy worth his money? Worth half his money?

steelz09
04-12-2013, 11:45 AM

Is Ike worth 9.5 million this year and 10.5 next especially at 33.5 y/o?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-12-2013, 11:48 AM

No...He isn't. He will be next after they draft his replacement.

steelz09
04-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Worilds + Harrison + Lewis + Allen > Ike + Allen + Worilds

That was possible... but the Steelers FO chose a stone handed old CB instead.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Is Ike worth 9.5 million this year and 10.5 next especially at 33.5 y/o?

Taylor is still playing at a high level and has been pretty healthy. That being said, this may be his last year IMO.

steelz09
04-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Taylor is still playing at a high level and has been pretty healthy. That being said, this may be his last year IMO.

He's not worth anywhere close to 9.5 million... not even close.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-12-2013, 12:53 PM
He's not worth anywhere close to 9.5 million... not even close.There is nothing they could do about it. They made that mess with restructures but given his level of play, he will remain. Even cutting him next year creates nearly 3.5 mil of dead money.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-12-2013, 12:56 PM
What is dumb to me is you let Lewis sign elsewhere for cheap...and keep Taylor due to dead money it would leave if you cut him. But in reality, if you add up the money Lewis would get paid, plus the dead money from Ike, it would still be less than Ike's salary, and the dead money gone in a season or two. Instead, we let Lewis walk, and have to use a draft pick on a CB and start the development process all over again.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-12-2013, 01:08 PM
What is dumb to me is you let Lewis sign elsewhere for cheap...and keep Taylor due to dead money it would leave if you cut him. But in reality, if you add up the money Lewis would get paid, plus the dead money from Ike, it would still be less than Ike's salary, and the dead money gone in a season or two. Instead, we let Lewis walk, and have to use a draft pick on a CB and start the development process all over again.

Since they didn't even offer Lewis a contract...I'm beginning to think Young Money was a Big Headache in the locker room. The only one who may be left when the smoke clears is Brown. Wallace, Sanders, Lewis, & Saunders along with Brown were all close knit. With the things you hear...You just get the feeling the Steelers came to the reality those guys just weren't Steeler types.

Taylor's dead money would be 6.9 mil this year. I see what you are saying. Bouchette tends to think the Steelers "Have their CBs". I guess they still think Brown & DVD will be the players they thought they would be coming out given some time. Time will tell.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Since they didn't even offer Lewis a contract...I'm beginning to think Young Money was a Big Headache in the locker room. The only one who may be left when the smoke clears is Brown. Wallace, Sanders, Lewis, & Saunders along with Brown were all close knit. With the things you hear...You just get the feeling the Steelers came to the reality those guys just weren't Steeler types.

Taylor's dead money would be 6.9 mil this year. I see what you are saying. Bouchette tends to think the Steelers "Have their CBs". I guess they still think Brown & DVD will be the players they thought they would be coming out given some time. Time will tell.

Interesting. I did not know that Lewis was in with the 'young money crew'....will be happy to be away from the 'me first' guys. I would be happy to get some of the guys in my mock to add some young professionalism into the mix. Guys like Eifert, Simon, Mauti, Motta that were pure leaders for their teams.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Interesting. I did not know that Lewis was in with the 'young money crew'....will be happy to be away from the 'me first' guys. I would be happy to get some of the guys in my mock to add some young professionalism into the mix. Guys like Eifert, Simon, Mauti, Motta that were pure leaders for their teams.

K Money. Wallace's Boy. Mendy was pretty tight too & he isn't here but I think he dug his own hole.

Saw you mock. Got some gamers on there. I would be pleased with that.

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2013, 08:02 PM
James Harrison, Cincinnati Bengals share high interest

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: April 12, 2013

James Harrison's search for a new home might be nearing its end.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Friday that a high level of mutual interest exists between the Cincinnati Bengals and the 34-year-old linebacker, according to one source involved in the situation.

Harrison and the Bengals have yet to enter in-depth contract talks on the heels of Thursday's visit, but Rapoport was told discussions are likely to heat up over the weekend.

Cincinnati hosted Harrison along with Karlos Dansby this week, but don't plan to sign both. Signs point to Harrison joining the Bengals, who envision him as a base outside linebacker and nickel pass-rusher, according to team sources.

Harrison isn't getting any younger, but he improved as last season went on. He could be acquired at a bargain.

It's little surprise that a pair of AFC North rivals -- the Bengals and Baltimore Ravens -- have shown interest since Harrison was released by the Steelers last month. He wreaked havoc on the division for more than a decade and will be hellbent to prove that Pittsburgh has made a grave mistake.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159469/article/james-harrison-cincinnati-bengals-share-high-interest

Big Ern McCracken
04-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Wow. This is more great news for the steelers. Definitely didnt want to see Harrison land in our division. I hope Gradkowski gets plenty of reps with the first team this summer!

Sugar
04-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Wow. This is more great news for the steelers. Definitely didnt want to see Harrison land in our division. I hope Gradkowski gets plenty of reps with the first team this summer!

Maybe Ben will find a way to take some paternity leave when they play the Bengals. Cincy is already at a talent level to win the North. If they get a couple good breaks... (it makes me vomit in my mouth a little to think about it).

Chadman
04-13-2013, 12:58 AM
K Money. Wallace's Boy. Mendy was pretty tight too & he isn't here but I think he dug his own hole.

Saw you mock. Got some gamers on there. I would be pleased with that.

JPN, consider this Chadman purposefully stirring the pot, but what hole did Mendy dig for himself? He has been, far and away, one of the better performed Steeler draft picks from the Tomlin era, discounting 2 injury marred seasons.

Big Ern McCracken
04-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Yea the Bengals are on the move. As it stands now we are on the outside lookin' in.

Sugar
04-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Yea the Bengals are on the move. As it stands now we are on the outside lookin' in.

It's tough to have all the Bengal fans laughing at us. While I can remind them that they won a playoff game in over 20 years, their arrow is pointed north right now and ours is spinning.

flippy
04-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Now all we need is to let Ben become a FA and sign with Cleveland.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-13-2013, 03:43 PM
JPN, consider this Chadman purposefully stirring the pot, but what hole did Mendy dig for himself? He has been, far and away, one of the better performed Steeler draft picks from the Tomlin era, discounting 2 injury marred seasons.
I agree Chadman. He was the best RB option the Steelers had since coming here. The hole was the doghouse. Pile everything on from Twitter to fumbles to not showing up when inactive. The injuries were part of the business. I think he punched his own ticket.

Slapstick
04-14-2013, 02:26 PM
If that reduced salary was still on the table, Harrison would sign it. It was reported here by the local media that the Steelers made the decision they didn't want him back at all.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/2013/03/26/steelers-to-harrison-we-dont-want-you/

So with them saying they don't want him at any salary, how can you blame him from seeking work no matter the employer, especially considering he didn't get a big contract until late in his career.

Meanwhile Troy, who has missed more time than Harrison, keeps his full contract amount and same with Ike.

I don't blame him for seeking work...

But, if he's angry about playing for a vet min contract with another team, he has only himself and his agent to blame....