PDA

View Full Version : Ta'amu gets 18 months probation

feltdizz
04-04-2013, 01:17 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-steeler-taamu-set-trial-123456468--nfl.html

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Pittsburgh Steelers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/pit) nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu was sentenced Thursday to 18 months of probation after pleading guilty to reckless endangerment, resisting arrest and drunken driving stemming from a series of crashes and a police chase last fall.
He'll also have to spend four days in a program that's an alternative to jail, sometimes known as a DUI hotel.

Ta'amu crashed into several cars on the city's South Side, a neighborhood known for bars and night clubs, then ran from officers who responded, police said. Allegheny County Judge Anthony Mariani found Ta'amu not guilty Thursday of fleeing from police after Ta'amu explained that he thought an officer in an unmarked car was an angry motorist chasing him.

''I was a rookie and I was scared. I was a Steeler and I was drunk driving,'' Ta'amu told the judge. ''I wrecked my car and I panicked.''

The Steelers released the 22-year-old fourth-round draft pick a few weeks after he was arrested Oct. 14 but later re-signed him to the practice squad.
Ta'amu was sentenced after pleading guilty to three counts of recklessly endangering another person, resisting arrest and drunken driving. He must also pay nearly $11,000 in damage he caused to the cars.

County prosecutors withdrew felony charges of aggravated assault with a vehicle, and Ta'amu apologized.

''I know what I've done is wrong,'' Ta'amu said. ''I'd do anything to make it right. What I did affected my whole family. I've got to keep learning from my mistakes. So far, I think I've done a good job of staying away'' from alcohol.

Ta'amu will take alcohol highway safety classes and group behavior counseling when he spends the four days in the DUI housing program. He must also complete 150 hours of community service.

''You shouldn't be treated any more harshly, but you shouldn't be dealt with a lighter hand because you're a Pittsburgh Steeler,'' the judge said.

Defense attorney Robert DelGreco Jr. said Ta'amu enrolled in the NFL's substance abuse policy after his arrest, which subjects him to urine tests two to three times a week.

''He's said he was sorry and has expressed that sentiment ever since,'' DelGreco said. ''He is dedicated to making things right.''

I predicted he would remain a Steeler due to being a position of need. Hopefully he sticks around and keeps his nose clean.

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Alameda Ta'amu gets probation

Updated: April 4, 2013
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu has been sentenced to 18 months of probation after pleading guilty to reckless endangerment, resisting arrest and drunken driving stemming from a series of crashes and a police chase.

The Steelers released the 22-year-old draft pick a few weeks after he was arrested Oct. 14 but later re-signed him to the practice squad.

Police say he crashed into several cars on the city's South Side, a neighborhood known for bars and nightclubs, then ran from officers who responded. A judge found Ta'amu not guilty Thursday of running from police after Ta'amu explained that he thought an officer in an unmarked car was an angry motorist chasing him.

Ta'amu also has to pay damages and spend four days in a DUI program that's a jail alternative.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9133561/alameda-taamu-pittsburgh-steelers-gets-probation-crashes

feltdizz
04-04-2013, 01:21 PM
I posted my story a minute earlier AND it's longer. :mad:

papillon
04-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Wow, I wonder what a person that is not a Steeler, Penguin or Pirate gets for endangering the lives of others, drunken driving and resisting arrest? Do you think they only get 18 months probation, no fine and no jail time?

A 350 pound football player was running from police because he thought it was an irate motorist, now that is comedic gold Jerry, comedic gold I tell you. I have some beach front property in Kansas I'd like to sell to that judge.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2013, 01:45 PM
I posted my story a minute earlier AND it's longer. :mad:

when I went to post this you hadn't posted your thread yet. the mods should just combine mine into yours...

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Wow, I wonder what a person that is not a Steeler, Penguin or Pirate gets for endangering the lives of others, drunken driving and resisting arrest? Do you think they only get 18 months probation, no fine and no jail time?

A 350 pound football player was running from police because he thought it was an irate motorist, now that is comedic gold Jerry, comedic gold I tell you. I have some beach front property in Kansas I'd like to sell to that judge.

Pappy

I am certain that if I had done what Ta'amu did that I would not have gotten away with only probation...

papillon
04-04-2013, 01:58 PM
The two threads on Ta'amu should be merged into one thread now.

Pappy

feltdizz
04-04-2013, 02:18 PM
when I went to post this you hadn't posted your thread yet. the mods should just combine mine into yours...

They have.. but I wasn't serious.

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2013, 03:25 PM
They have.. but I wasn't serious.

I knew you were just kidding around.

this is obviously yet another example of two great minds like us thinking alike and posting the same thread within a minute of each other...:Cheers

jj28west
04-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Head Scratcher...

There must be something they like to keep him through all this but then why would they release him like they did during the season?

thor75
04-04-2013, 09:19 PM
I am really surprised he got off with just probation. Either way this may help free up a draft pick for another position. I liked this pick last year. Lets hope he learned his lesson and wants to redeem himself by creating havoc for off. lineman instead of the streets of Pittsburgh. I love Big Snack but his time is up.

skyhawk
04-04-2013, 09:39 PM

Pappy

I love Banya! Roundtine, roundtine!

skyhawk
04-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Get release from the team. Get a DUI and then everything's fine?? WTF!?

AkronSteel
04-04-2013, 10:10 PM
If this kid can get his head screwed on straight, he could be a contributor. I could envision a Heyward, Ta'amu, McClendon starting DL starting in 2014.

LordVile
04-04-2013, 10:25 PM

Pappy

He was piss drunk.. Just cuz he is big doesn't mean heez a mean guy who likes punching ppl out. Probably a gentle giant.. I would be scared too if I did what he did..

I heard he went to a bar to celebrate getting off so easy ;)

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2013, 10:46 PM
He was piss drunk.. Just cuz he is big doesn't mean heez a mean guy who likes punching ppl out. Probably a gentle giant.. I would be scared too if I did what he did..

I heard he went to a bar to celebrate getting off so easy ;)

he probably had a couple of Shirley Temples...:Cheers

LordVile
04-04-2013, 10:54 PM
he probably had a couple of Shirley Temples...:Cheers

yes sir, and he tail gated before with some O'DOULS...

Chadman
04-04-2013, 11:06 PM
The Steelers looked to be suffering from poor discipline last season, Ta'amu's actions being a case in point. Hopefully the Steelers are stepping on this now & he can turn things around, but Chadman suspects he's not only on probation with the law, but also the Football Team. Would not be surprised if he is put under even more strenuous pressure in TC to essentially, kick his bum back into line.

If the Steelers were not in a pickle at NT, would he still be a Steeler?

SteelerMaine83
04-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Head Scratcher...

There must be something they like to keep him through all this but then why would they release him like they did during the season?

After releasing him, they watched a replay of his arrest on tape and liked his short-area quickness, so they brought him back.:D

Slapstick
04-06-2013, 10:25 AM

Pappy

Why so difficult to believe? People carry guns now...

Shoe
04-06-2013, 11:33 AM
yes sir, and he tail gated before with some O'DOULS...

Well, O'Douls has alchohol content I believe... like 0.5% or so. He probably had a 100 of them.

Seriously though, how does he get off with 1.5 years probation? (Obviously we know now.) Oh, what a legal system we have!

DukieBoy
04-06-2013, 11:48 AM
The Steelers looked to be suffering from poor discipline last season, Ta'amu's actions being a case in point. Hopefully the Steelers are stepping on this now & he can turn things around, but Chadman suspects he's not only on probation with the law, but also the Football Team. Would not be surprised if he is put under even more strenuous pressure in TC to essentially, kick his bum back into line.

If the Steelers were not in a pickle at NT, would he still be a Steeler?

Dangerous behavior. Situational Ethics.

Though I believe in second chances and redemption, this one is tough. I imagine most of us would be doing time for at least months for this same behavior. And is this a 3rd chance for him ??? Just asking.

My professional code of ethics is very strict, as is my professional licensing. What he did would end my professional career. Much less than what he did would end my professional career. His career is likely preserved.

LordVile
04-08-2013, 02:57 AM
Well, O'Douls has alchohol content I believe... like 0.5% or so. He probably had a 100 of them.

Seriously though, how does he get off with 1.5 years probation? (Obviously we know now.) Oh, what a legal system we have!

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/04/steelers-alameda-taamu-celebrates-getting-probation-for-dui-by-driving-around-with-whisky/

i told yah!!

UPDATE:

#Steelers NT Alameda Ta’amu Clarifies Twitter SNAFU & Says He No Longer Drinks
On Sunday night, Pittsburgh Steelers nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu made a bad mistake when he retweeted a Twitter picture posted by @ME0ish showing him in a car with a bottle of Fireball Cinnamon Whisky. After posting about the picture, the retweet by Ta'amu has since been deleted, as has the original picture.

Ta'amu has now taken to Twitter to clarify things.

I don't go out and I don't drink.. I've passed every UA test since October 14.. I'm in Pitt training.. Focused for next season. HONEST MISTAKE. Really. Didn't look at his pic before sending my tweet. Wouldn't joke about that."

TD386Steel
04-08-2013, 07:29 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/04/steelers-alameda-taamu-celebrates-getting-probation-for-dui-by-driving-around-with-whisky/

i told yah!!

UPDATE:

#Steelers NT Alameda Ta’amu Clarifies Twitter SNAFU & Says He No Longer Drinks
On Sunday night, Pittsburgh Steelers nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu made a bad mistake when he retweeted a Twitter picture posted by @ME0ish showing him in a car with a bottle of Fireball Cinnamon Whisky. After posting about the picture, the retweet by Ta'amu has since been deleted, as has the original picture.

Ta'amu has now taken to Twitter to clarify things.

I don't go out and I don't drink.. I've passed every UA test since October 14.. I'm in Pitt training.. Focused for next season. HONEST MISTAKE. Really. Didn't look at his pic before sending my tweet. Wouldn't joke about that."

Nice follow up. I saw the article thought the worst. I think this kid can and will do a solid job next year for us.

Shawn
04-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Dangerous behavior. Situational Ethics.

Though I believe in second chances and redemption, this one is tough. I imagine most of us would be doing time for at least months for this same behavior. And is this a 3rd chance for him ??? Just asking.

My professional code of ethics is very strict, as is my professional licensing. What he did would end my professional career. Much less than what he did would end my professional career. His career is likely preserved.

I think many of us get caught up in "fairness". While I would love for the world to be fair, it isn't. Football players who the Steelers want to keep, get special treatment. It's that simple. On a side note, I am happy that this guy is getting a second chance despite it not being "fair".

feltdizz
04-08-2013, 08:49 AM
I think many of us get caught up in "fairness". While I would love for the world to be fair, it isn't. Football players who the Steelers want to keep, get special treatment. It's that simple. On a side note, I am happy that this guy is getting a second chance despite it not being "fair".

I think it's time for Steeler fans to drop the "higher standard crap" we love to talk about when bashing other teams...

feltdizz
04-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Nice follow up. I saw the article thought the worst. I think this kid can and will do a solid job next year for us.

it's still says something about this kids character. These players love showing their stupidity on twitter.

Slapstick
04-08-2013, 09:07 AM

The problem isn't "fairness"...it is the idea that "fairness" is the same as "equal treatment"...

What is "fair" is not necessarily the same as what is "equal"...

feltdizz
04-08-2013, 11:31 AM
The problem isn't "fairness"...it is the idea that "fairness" is the same as "equal treatment"...

What is "fair" is not necessarily the same as what is "equal"...

who said it was fair OR equal treatment?

I think we all know professional athletes and the rich and famous aren't treated like the rest of us when it comes to crime and punishment...

DukieBoy
04-08-2013, 05:33 PM
who said it was fair OR equal treatment?

I think we all know professional athletes and the rich and famous aren't treated like the rest of us when it comes to crime and punishment...

Agree. I think this is commonly understood.

DukieBoy
04-08-2013, 05:49 PM

Appreciate the comment and discussion. I think what I get caught up in is more about just not wanting to caught up in resignation and acceptance of such standards.

I favor ATA's opportunity for redemption. The twitter pic doesn't help.