PDA

View Full Version : LaRod Stephens-Howling visits Steelers

Rara
04-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette 28m
Former Pitt RB LaRod Stephens-Howling visiting #Steelers today. UFA Arizona

Chadman
04-03-2013, 09:40 AM
You know- if the Steelers wanted an Eddie Lacy/LeVeon Bell/Monte Ball type RB in this draft, then Stephens-Howling would be a good pick-up. He gives the Steelers that element of difference the others don't offer.

steelz09
04-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Wasn't there a VT cornerback a few years back that many wanted to draft with a very similar name? I think the Pats drafted him. Wonder what ever happened to that guy....

I know it's off topic but when I saw the name that was the first person I thought of.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-03-2013, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't mind Stephens-Howling as a change of pace/third down/receiving threat type of back. He certainly brings a skill set that none of our other backs have.

Rara
04-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Would still like to get Bradshaw, if actually healthy...but would be okay with Stephens-Howling.

calmkiller
04-03-2013, 10:29 AM
He is smaller than Tavon Austin, which everyone here is against drafting. But you want to pick him up.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-03-2013, 11:22 AM
He is smaller than Tavon Austin, which everyone here is against drafting. But you want to pick him up.

True, but the discussion on LSH is whether or not to give him a mil or so a year for one or two years.

Austin would require a first round pick investment.

Apples and oranges on the risk/reward scale.

calmkiller
04-03-2013, 11:32 AM
True, but the discussion on LSH is whether or not to give him a mil or so a year for one or two years.

Austin would require a first round pick investment.

Apples and oranges on the risk/reward scale.

Decastro's Rookie contract was 7.5 million over 5 years or 1.5 million a year. Generally the contract is more back loaded but I don't have the exact years layed out in front of me. Dre Kirkpatrick, last year's 17th pick signed a 4 year 8.6 million deal or 2 million a year. With the rookie wage scale in place now you are not paying rookies insane amounts of money. I disagree with the old salary argument. I think it is apples to apples. Only difference is you have seen what Howlings can do in the NFL. Austin is more dynamic than Howlings.

Edit: Here is an article on how Kirkpatrick's number break down.

The Cincinnati Bengals announced last Friday that they agreed to terms with first-round cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick (http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/5/18/3028679/cincinnati-bengals-announce-cornerback-dre-kirkpatrick-signed-on). The four-year deal was reportedly worth $8.6 million with $7.84 million guaranteed (http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/5/18/3029113/dre-kirkpatricks-contract-details) and a $4.9 million signing bonus. Further broken down the deal is actually worth $8.622 million with fully guaranteed base salaries (https://twitter.com/#%21/RavensInsider/statuses/204957806812598272) during all four seasons, according to Aaron Wilson.
Kirkpatrick is scheduled to earn $390,000 this season, with $781,954, $1.173 million and $782,931 during each successive season respectively. Additionally Kirkpatrick is scheduled to earn another $782,931 through a roster bonus in 2015 (https://twitter.com/#%21/RavensInsider/statuses/204957993849192448), which essentially jacks his 2015 salary to $1,565,862.

This is completely reasonable.

Steelhere10
04-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Why do you guys get excited about these token visits, nothing more nothing less. If they are not 35+ or been on the team before forget it.
On a side note they just resigned S Sylvester.

flippy
04-03-2013, 12:22 PM
This is a kid that's just not that good. He started to get some carries last year and barely got 3 yards per carry. On a team that had to throw because they stunk.

Maybe coming back home would help him out. Maybe a tiny back sneaking around behind DD and Adams would spring some big runs. Not too excited about him. But we'll probably sign him cause he's a local and not that good.

He's like the Matt Spaeth of RB signings.

supersteeler
04-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Wasn't there a VT cornerback a few years back that many wanted to draft with a very similar name? I think the Pats drafted him. Wonder what ever happened to that guy....

I know it's off topic but when I saw the name that was the first person I thought of.

Ras-I Dowling was the CB your thinking of. He's still on their roster I believe.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Decastro's Rookie contract was 7.5 million over 5 years or 1.5 million a year. Generally the contract is more back loaded but I don't have the exact years layed out in front of me. Dre Kirkpatrick, last year's 17th pick signed a 4 year 8.6 million deal or 2 million a year. With the rookie wage scale in place now you are not paying rookies insane amounts of money. I disagree with the old salary argument. I think it is apples to apples. Only difference is you have seen what Howlings can do in the NFL. Austin is more dynamic than Howlings.

Edit: Here is an article on how Kirkpatrick's number break down.

This is completely reasonable.

The investment that I'm talking about on Austin is not money, rather it is the value of a first round pick. By bringing up money on Howling, I was referring to how disposable he would be due to little cap concern.

calmkiller
04-03-2013, 02:43 PM
The investment that I'm talking about on Austin is not money, rather it is the value of a first round pick. By bringing up money on Howling, I was referring to how disposable he would be due to little cap concern.

Understandable. I think based on history we will go D with the first overall pick. Historically we won't go OLB though. ILB, DL or S would be something we would consider. They do have a different formula for the first rounders usually. I agree with that. They want 20-21 year olds for the first rounders. Tavon does not fit that bill as he is 22 currently. I am not advocating that we take him. I am just irritated at the lack of respect that he receives. He is worth a first round pick. He is not a top 10 pick no. I would say he is a 20-32 pick. If we trade down would your value opinion change?

squidkid
04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
This is a kid that's just not that good. He started to get some carries last year and barely got 3 yards per carry. On a team that had to throw because they stunk.

Maybe coming back home would help him out. Maybe a tiny back sneaking around behind DD and Adams would spring some big runs. Not too excited about him. But we'll probably sign him cause he's a local and not that good.

exactly.
arizona had lousy rbs the last couple years and this guy couldnt seperate himself from them?
PASS

SteelerOfDeVille
04-03-2013, 03:23 PM
exactly.
arizona had lousy rbs the last couple years and this guy couldnt seperate himself from them?
PASS

whew... glad i'm not the only one thinking this... that must mean they'll sign him.

AkronSteel
04-03-2013, 04:41 PM
I actually think this could be a good signing. He brings less injury risk than Bradshaw and will probably come cheaper. He's a receiving threat out of the backfield and would give the team an experienced, solid kick returner. He would fit well in the 3rd down role. This team will carry 4 like always and I expect them to draft a back somewhere between rounds 2-4. So that would give them Rookie, Dwyer, Stephens-Howling, and either Redman or Batch battling for the last spot. That's not too shabby!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Understandable. I think based on history we will go D with the first overall pick. Historically we won't go OLB though. ILB, DL or S would be something we would consider. They do have a different formula for the first rounders usually. I agree with that. They want 20-21 year olds for the first rounders. Tavon does not fit that bill as he is 22 currently. I am not advocating that we take him. I am just irritated at the lack of respect that he receives. He is worth a first round pick. He is not a top 10 pick no. I would say he is a 20-32 pick. If we trade down would your value opinion change?

To be honest I don't know how I feel about drafting someone of his size. Not because of the injury risk, but because I believe that the rules today allow the QB to lob it up and let his big receiver go get it. IMO it won Baltimore the SB. WR can push off with minimal risk while the phantom DB contact gets the O the same yardage as a completion. More of a philosophy than a comment on Austin himself.

steelz09
04-03-2013, 05:05 PM

What about Timmons? He wasn't drafted to be an ILB.. he was drafted to play OLB. Luckily, he was able to convert inside.

ikestops85
04-03-2013, 05:05 PM
I don't have a problem if they do draft Austin because I think he is going to be a play maker at the next level. I would just rather have them draft somebody who is a better red zone target that posesses size and physicality. Austin is lacking in those 2 traits. He is probably more suited to being a big play guy from outside the 20 who can take what looks like a small gain and go house with it. That is worth having also.

phillyesq
04-04-2013, 09:01 AM
I would prefer to add a change of pace back through the draft or sign Bradshaw, but Howling could contribute as a returner and change of pace back. He is not a difference maker but could be useful.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-04-2013, 11:20 AM

He was running behind an awful O line on a team with no passing game. It was not the fault of the backs, they were keyed on and shut down. No back could have succeeded in that offense.

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Stephens-Howling visiting the Steelers today

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 3, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/350x-191.jpg?w=250

The Steelers are hosting some free agents today, but not the kind that will make the fanbase sit up and take notice. Or even wake up, really.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the team is hosting Arizona running back LaRod Stephens-Howling, along with 49ers linebacker Tavares Gooden and Texans guard Antoine Caldwell.

Of the lot of them, Stephens-Howling is the most interesting, since hes unlike the rest of the backs on the Steelers roster at the moment. Hes more of a third down back/returner, and would fill the role they envisioned for the released Chris Rainey.

The Pitt product has been a solid special teamer and part-time player for the Cardinals.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/page/6/

Notleadpoisoned
04-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Does anyone remember that nice 73 yard TD that Stephens-Howling scored against the Steelers back in the 2011 season?

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Does anyone remember that nice 73 yard TD that Stephens-Howling scored against the Steelers back in the 2011 season?

I'll bet the Steelers do, which might have been one of the reasons why we brought him in for a visit.

AkronSteel
04-04-2013, 07:36 PM

That's the kind of plays that he could have in the Steelers offense. He could add a receiving threat out of the backfield that this team has lacked for a long time and those are the types of big plays needed out of Haley's offense.

Notleadpoisoned
04-04-2013, 07:51 PM
That's the kind of plays that he could have in the Steelers offense. He could add a receiving threat out of the backfield that this team has lacked for a long time and those are the types of big plays needed out of Haley's offense.
He also had 2 100yd rushing games last season with the Cardinals so he can get the job done as a fill-in starter.

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2013, 07:53 PM
yes, like the article stated he could fill the role they originally envisioned for the since-released Chris Rainey.