PDA

View Full Version : Tavon Austin scares me

ramblinjim
04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
So I keep seeing many of the prognoticators saying that the Steelers will pick up Tavon Austin in the first round of the NFL draft to replace Mike Wallace. Ok, so let's say he steps in Day 1 and replaces Mike Wallace? That would be great and you can't argue with the reasoning. But there is just something to me that says a 5'9, 174 pound guy just isn't going to take the pounding that slot receivers tend to take.

Am I insane? I'd rather have Eifert. I also realize that this is why the Steeles don't ask me my opinion.

Oviedo
04-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Austin would be a terrible Round 1 pick. He has great talent but you have to question his durability. Now if you wnated to trade up in Round 2 to grab him I'm OK for that.

ramblinjim
04-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Alright, maybe I'm not just missing something after all. I saw one 'expert' had him as a top ten pick. I can only imagine Tayvon Austin doing a short middle of the field route and getting hit by Patrick Willis and then getting the dropsies for the rest of the season.

supersteeler
04-02-2013, 03:11 PM
If I had to pick a WR from this class it would be Hopkins, he may not have the speed of Austin but would be more durable, but what I like about Hopkins he finds the end zone on a regular basis.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
I want to get a big WR with body control a la Anquan Boldin. He and McKinnie were the two biggest reasons that the Ravens won the SB, and with the rules the way they are now, a Boldin type is the new prototype.

Jooser
04-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Where are these durability questions coming from? In 4 years at WVU Austin never missed a game. Why? You can't get a solid lick on him. I'm not advocating for him in the first, but if it happened I wouldn't be too upset about it. He's be a day one contributor.

Sugar
04-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Where are these durability questions coming from? In 4 years at WVU Austin never missed a game. Why? You can't get a solid lick on him. I'm not advocating for him in the first, but if it happened I wouldn't be too upset about it. He's be a day one contributor.

College guys can't get a solid lick on him. The NFL is a different animal altogether. I don't think that there is doubt about his talent, just that he'll get a taste of NFL speed and hitting and his body won't be able to take it.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Am I insane? I'd rather have Eifert. I also realize that this is why the Steeles don't ask me my opinion.
did u just seriously use Austin to start yet ANOTHER Eifert thread? LMAO

In any event, the team has bigger needs (than both positions) AND even Wallace himself wasn't a 1st rounder AND if the team is going to a possession offense, they might be better served looking for a guy who likes working the middle (are there any Hines clones in this draft?)

blacknblue80s
04-02-2013, 03:51 PM
did u just seriously use Austin to start yet ANOTHER Eifert thread? LMAO

In any event, the team has bigger needs (than both positions) AND even Wallace himself wasn't a 1st rounder AND if the team is going to a possession offense, they might be better served looking for a guy who likes working the middle (are there any Hines clones in this draft?)
Quinton Patton is similar to Hines from what I've read and he's a round 2 prospect.

I personally would prefer Keenan Allen. After having to catch wild passes from his brother for 2 years, he is very good at going and getting the ball, which is an ability our other receivers have been lacking.

Oviedo
04-02-2013, 03:55 PM
I want to get a big WR with body control a la Anquan Boldin. He and McKinnie were the two biggest reasons that the Ravens won the SB, and with the rules the way they are now, a Boldin type is the new prototype.

Sounds like you are describing Tyler Eifert, a "huge" "receiver" with great body control and the ability to overpower defenders.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-02-2013, 04:13 PM
If we are getting a target for Ben to throw to, give me TE Tyler Eifert.....

Strengths Very tough in a crowd, showing strong hands to make contested catches and a physical demeanor to come down with the ball in tight spaces. Tall, lean frame. Lines up with his hand down, in an H-back role, in the slot and outside. Threatens the seam with his long strides off the snap, takes a lot of hits across the middle and bounces up. Nice job gaining position in coverage with very good footwork, taking pride in his routes and showing much improvement in this area. Elevates well to go up and attack the ball, just needs an opportunity and chances are he’ll come down with it – very good at mid-air adjustments, making a lot of catches with his feet off the ground. Uses his height, length and strong hands to snatch passes out of the air. Flashes quick feet on out-cuts to be an effective safety valve. Fights through arm tackles to get extra yardage. Gets off the line effectively from a three-point stance, can shimmy past a defender near the line to get into his route. Gives effort as an in-line blocker, uses his length to hold off defensive ends, uses agility to get angle and create outside running lane. Also works hard to prevent defenders from reaching teammates downfield. Productive in his three seasons, leaving Notre Dame with just about every school receiving record for a TE including catches (140) and receiving yards (1,840).

thor75
04-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Quinton Patton is similar to Hines from what I've read and he's a round 2 prospect.

I really like Patton and I hope the Steelers find a way to draft him in the second. If Austin is the pick, that gives us 3 smallish WRs. I know we have Plex but it would be nice to have a larger WR as one of the top 3. Although as I say this, Patton is 6' and 204 so he's not huge but is a very willing blocker as well as having good hands.

steelz09
04-02-2013, 05:08 PM
I do NOT want anything to do with Austin in the 1st round.

grotonsteel
04-02-2013, 05:16 PM
I would draft Tavon Austin in Rd 2 in a heart beat.

Not many 5'9" WRs are drafted in Rd 1. But with flag football played nowadays some team will roll the dice on Tavon Austin in Rd 1.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Sounds like you are describing Tyler Eifert, a "huge" "receiver" with great body control and the ability to overpower defenders.
dude...

flippy
04-02-2013, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't touch Austin in round 1. But I do see the NFL changing and WRs have all the advantage. Technically, no one should be able to touch him and he is electrifying, but still, someone would touch him and he could easily be done that one hit.

I do think someone will end up taking him in round 1 for that very reason. Probably the Pats.

ramblinjim
04-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Ok, funny, yeah I like the Eifert kid too although I wouldn't be unhappy with Ertz in round two. I'm just glad I'm not the only one that will groan a little bit if we pick him in the first.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Ok, funny, yeah I like the Eifert kid too although I wouldn't be unhappy with Ertz in round two. I'm just glad I'm not the only one that will groan a little bit if we pick him in the first.

Sorry Jim, it's not you, it's the whole Eifert or bust argument without reason that some peeps make...

Ertz in the 2nd would be better than Eifert in the first... i wouldn't totally groan at that because he's a better pass catcher than Eifert... furthermore, i don't see the point in a first round, starter quality TE when the team doesn't have one starter quality RB and only one starter quality ILB and Worilds is TBD (at a minimum, he needs competition)... Spaeth at TE is on the level of Foote at LB... Except, by mid-season, Spaeth will have a replacement... Foote needs one as well...

feltdizz
04-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Anyone prefer Eifert over Austin? I think I should make a thread about it.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Anyone prefer Eifert over Austin? I think I should make a thread about it.
LMAO - too funny!!

steelz09
04-02-2013, 08:05 PM

If he's wants a Boldin / Roddy White clone then DeAndre Hopkins is it. Very possible he'll be the best WR in this draft class and one of the "safer" offensive skill position picks overall.

Shawn
04-02-2013, 09:48 PM
I think anyone slating Austin as the pick in round 1 hasn't been paying attention to the way the Steelers draft.

pfelix73
04-02-2013, 11:11 PM
He doesn't scare me.

Wes Welker- 5' 10" 184 lbs
DeSean Jackson 5"9" 175lbs
Tavon Austin 5'8" 174lbs.

I'd consider him at 17, but to be honest we have other needs elsewhere and can probably get his counter part Bailey later in the draft, or another WR. Put me down for the ND TE too or a db or lb.

Tavon would play right away though returning punts, KO's, etc. explosive playmaker.

Chadman
04-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Of all the 'high round' WR's available Chadman would take Markus Wheaton in Round 2 as the preference, or if his character holds up- DaRick Rogers.

Starting to wish that Arians drafts Eifert at Arizona & buries him on the depth chart.

:D

hawaiiansteel
04-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Starting to wish that Arians drafts Eifert at Arizona & buries him on the depth chart.

how is Eifert at catching bubble screens? ;)

Chadman
04-03-2013, 12:31 AM
how is Eifert at catching bubble screens? ;)

He's great.

So great in fact, he can line up at Center, snap to himself at QB, then throw the bubble to himself at TE, all the while blocking downfield in order to spring himself into the End Zone, where he'll high-5 himself & jump into a crowd populated by.... well, himself.

He could go #1 overall, thinking about it..

hawaiiansteel
04-03-2013, 01:40 AM
He's great.

So great in fact, he can line up at Center, snap to himself at QB, then throw the bubble to himself at TE, all the while blocking downfield in order to spring himself into the End Zone, where he'll high-5 himself & jump into a crowd populated by.... well, himself.

He could go #1 overall, thinking about it..

that's because he's an offensive player.

if Eifert played on defense under LeBeau, it would take him 3 years to learn how to do all that...;)

Chadman
04-03-2013, 02:06 AM
that's because he's an offensive player.

if Eifert played on defense under LeBeau, it would take him 3 years to learn how to do all that...;)

If he was on Defense, we wouldn't need to draft him yet. No point drafting a Defensive player before Round 6 if all they do is sit & learn for 12 years.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Sorry Jim, it's not you, it's the whole Eifert or bust argument without reason that some peeps make...

Ertz in the 2nd would be better than Eifert in the first... i wouldn't totally groan at that because he's a better pass catcher than Eifert... furthermore, i don't see the point in a first round, starter quality TE when the team doesn't have one starter quality RB and only one starter quality ILB and Worilds is TBD (at a minimum, he needs competition)... Spaeth at TE is on the level of Foote at LB... Except, by mid-season, Spaeth will have a replacement... Foote needs one as well...
I would be willing to wager that Eifert & Ertz are both gone by our 2nd pick (unless we trade).

calmkiller
04-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Jooser and pfelix72 are the only two people in this thread I agree with. Everyone else is wrong. If you are afraid of Tavon Austin it should be because another team drafted him and you now have to deal with him. Everyone here concerned about his durability and his size are just plain wrong. That is no an opinion. It is a fact.

Oviedo
04-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Of all the 'high round' WR's available Chadman would take Markus Wheaton in Round 2 as the preference, or if his character holds up- DaRick Rogers.

You're talking Arians not LeBeau. Arians actually lets players play and doesn't impose two year blackout periods on a talented player getting on the field.

Oviedo
04-03-2013, 07:35 AM
I would be willing to wager that Eifert & Ertz are both gone by our 2nd pick (unless we trade).

That is absolutley the case. Eifert will be gone in Round 1 and Ertz will be gone before the 10th pick in Round 2.

supersteeler
04-03-2013, 08:10 AM

I agree, but maybe the Football Gods step in like last year when we picked up DeCasrto and we land one of them.
Eifert would elevate our offense, but some here feel we have the great Mark Bavarro and Dave Casper already on the roster with Spaeth and Paulson.:D

ramblinjim
04-03-2013, 08:43 AM
You know, Paulson played well last year, it's hard to knock a 7th round pick for getting on the field and making a few plays his rookie year. That's not bad. I read somewhere where Ertz had small hands, then I thought "didn't Sweed have small hands". I did some research, sure enough he did. Now that doesn't mean Ertz won't be a great pro, Limas had some pretty serious issues but it does make me wonder a little bit.

supersteeler
04-03-2013, 09:14 AM
You know, Paulson played well last year, it's hard to knock a 7th round pick for getting on the field and making a few plays his rookie year. That's not bad. I read somewhere where Ertz had small hands, then I thought "didn't Sweed have small hands". I did some research, sure enough he did. Now that doesn't mean Ertz won't be a great pro, Limas had some pretty serious issues but it does make me wonder a little bit.

Eifert is the only TE worth taking early, the concern with Ertz is
Very short arms (31 3/4 inches) for his height - limited catch radius

Jooser
04-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Jooser and pfelix72 are the only two people in this thread I agree with. Everyone else is wrong. If you are afraid of Tavon Austin it should be because another team drafted him and you now have to deal with him. Everyone here concerned about his durability and his size are just plain wrong. That is no an opinion. It is a fact.

Ding Ding Ding! Not to hijack this thread back onto what the original subject was...but, let me predicate my position by stating that I am not necessarily advocating for Austin in round one, but to be scared of this pick is ludicrous. He's a multi-dimensional type of player who can be your slot guy or your out of the backfield "change of pace" guy. He keeps the chains moving and and can strike for a TD from anywhere. The proof is in the pudding folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AAWC5t0trY

The only people tackling him are his teammates in the endzone. No he isn't too tall, and no he isn't a big bodied receiver, but what he is...IS ELECTRIC !

Jooser
04-03-2013, 09:37 AM
I wouldn't touch Austin in round 1. But I do see the NFL changing and WRs have all the advantage. Technically, no one should be able to touch him and he is electrifying, but still, someone would touch him and he could easily be done that one hit.

I do think someone will end up taking him in round 1 for that very reason. Probably the Pats.

Yeah, you could make that argument about anyone in the draft...they were all just competing against college competition before....

calmkiller
04-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Tavon Austin's Stats against top level teams with players in the NFL that he will meet or has already met on the field. This is just a small sample and I left most of the Big East teams off the list.

Date
OPP
Result
Rec
YDS
AVG
LNG
TD
Rush Att
YDS
AVG
LNG
TD

10/6/12
Texas
W 48-45

10/20/12
KSU
L 49-14

11/17/12
OU
L 50-49

9/24/11
LSU
L 47-21

1/4/12
Clemson
W 70-33

10/29/11
Rutgers
W 41-31

With that said I am not saying the Steelers need to draft him in the first round. We will go Defense this year, but if it were to happen for some reason, I would have zero concern about it. Stedman Bailey in the third would be a good WR pick up for us.

blacknblue80s
04-03-2013, 10:47 AM
IMO if the defensive players we are interested in are off the board we could easily go WR or... even TE. IMO, it will be BPA in round 1.

My name is Blacknblue80s and I am not afraid of Tavon Austin.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-03-2013, 11:19 AM
You're talking Arians not LeBeau. Arians actually lets players play and doesn't impose two year blackout periods on a talented player getting on the field.

Ov, I think that Chadman's point is that TEs aren't given a chance to produce in Arians' offense.

Jooser
04-03-2013, 12:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uDaboo-ZyA

Yeah, I'd rather have a TE to block and catch the occasional TD over some LBers vs having this LIGHTNING ROD....(shakes head). Was Emmitt Smith or Warick Dunn too small? How about Barry Sanders?

flippy
04-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Yeah, you could make that argument about anyone in the draft...they were all just competing against college competition before....

He's 170lbs. It's 100x more likely he's gonna get hurt than other players with size.

I like the kid, but realistically he should be a 3-5 round pick. No way should we be talking about him as a 1st rounder. If he's a first rounder, he better return 3x as many kicks for TDs as Devon Hester.

calmkiller
04-03-2013, 12:38 PM
He's 170lbs. It's 100x more likely he's gonna get hurt than other players with size.

I like the kid, but realistically he should be a 3-5 round pick. No way should we be talking about him as a 1st rounder. If he's a first rounder, he better return 3x as many kicks for TDs as Devon Hester.

Hester was a DB coming out of college. He didn't really fit anywhere on the D or O side of the ball. If I remember correctly people were down on his defensive skills. His return ability was never really questioned. That is why he lasted until the third round. No one is questioning Tavon's offensive ability. The only thing everyone here is saying is he is to small, which is the dumbest argument anyone here can make. Duce Staley was 5'11 and 242 lbs and he couldn't stay on the field. There are just as many examples of smaller players being judged incorrectly because of their size. It is pure ignorance.

flippy
04-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Hester was a DB coming out of college. He didn't really fit anywhere on the D or O side of the ball. If I remember correctly people were down on his defensive skills. His return ability was never really questioned. That is why he lasted until the third round. No one is questioning Tavon's offensive ability. The only thing everyone here is saying is he is to small, which is the dumbest argument anyone here can make. Duce Staley was 5'11 and 242 lbs and he couldn't stay on the field. There are just as many examples of smaller players being judged incorrectly because of their size. It is pure ignorance.

Who was the last 170lber to be drafted at 17?

The kid is an injury waiting to happen. He just doesn't have an NFL body. Sure you can take a chance with a much later pick, but it'd be silly to pick him early.

Doug Flutie was an awesome college player, but he didn't have the size for the NFL. No knock on him. Maybe he makes it if given a legit chance, but odds are against it so he never gets a break. Drew Brees is a tiny guy that's done great. But why risk it? Of course as you get later in the draft and there's no guarantees on any player you pick, that's when you can take a chance.

I just think it's crazy to consider a guy this small in the first round.

papillon
04-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Based on his highlight reel in this thread one thing is for sure he is dangerous in the open field. In the receiving portion of the his highlights he always seemed to be wide open. He made one back shoulder catch on the goal line and gained enough separation on a shallow crossing pattern, but other than that he was typically wide open or behind the defense. While that may be the case occasionally in the NFL I doubt that it occurs often enough to make a 10 minute highlight reel. I would have liked to see more highlights of at lease reasonable coverage. Now, maybe no one was near him because he's a great route runner and very elusive or maybe the DBs were bad.

He is triple threat, he can be a factor in the return game, running game and passing game. I just don't know if 1.17 is where to take him.

Pappy

Jooser
04-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Like I said, I am not saying TAKE HIM at 17, but if it happens, he's not going to disappoint, contrary to the OP point about him....like I said, was Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, or Warrick Dunn any bigger? NO. But I'm telling you, this guy is going to wreak havoc on the league next year, just wait and see.

feltdizz
04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
I don't remember Pat White getting hit that hard in college... then he met Ike Taylor.

These guys can definitely have an impact and a long career in the NFL but c'mon... we are talking Steelers here, Gilbert will crush this kid in Latrobe.

calmkiller
04-03-2013, 03:11 PM
I don't remember Pat White getting hit that hard in college... then he met Ike Taylor.

These guys can definitely have an impact and a long career in the NFL but c'mon... we are talking Steelers here, Gilbert will crush this kid in Latrobe.

Pat White is the same size as Chris Johnson and he had concussion history during his College career. So the size card doesn't apply there and it was a past injury issue. Tavon has no past injury issues. He hasn't missed a game in 8 years. We can agree to disagree I guess.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Was Emmitt Smith or Warick Dunn too small? How about Barry Sanders?

i think you just compared a 174lb guy (Austin) with a 200 lb guy (Sanders) and a 210 lb guy (Emmitt)... Warrick Dunn was almost as small as him... iirc, he was listed between 180-190 for most of his career...

Jooser
04-03-2013, 04:29 PM
I won't argue the point any more, but you'll see....

ikestops85
04-03-2013, 04:41 PM
The only people tackling him are his teammates in the endzone. No he isn't too tall, and no he isn't a big bodied receiver, but what he is...IS ELECTRIC !

It's ELECTRIC

http://cdn.thegloss.com/files/2011/08/electric-slide1.jpg

Jooser
04-03-2013, 05:06 PM

100X ? Not sure how you're quantifying that Flip. He's electric. Period. and we shouldn't worry about him now, cuz we won't draft him anyways...

Mister Pittsburgh
04-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Wes Welker is the same height and 10lbs heavier and I am sure Austin can gain a little muscle mass quickly. If we want a WR at 17, I would have no problem with Austin. Kid may really excell in Haley's quick pass offense.

welker was actually drafted at 195lbs, but now plays at 185lbs. Probably gained weight before the combine to appear less fragile for the scouts and coaches.

flippy
04-03-2013, 05:51 PM
The guys that are that small and able to avoid contact are few and far between. Eventually all of these guys are gonna run into a Wilfork or Suh or Ngata, even by accident. Heck they're gonna have a big hitter like Ryan Clark blind side them. Maybe the kid's as tough as they come and he can handle it. Great for him. I'm not knocking the kid. He's fun to watch. But I just wouldn't spend a first on the guy. Not even a second.

If someone does and gets a steal, they got lucky. Football is a big man's game for the most part.

Chadman
04-03-2013, 06:08 PM
TYhe size of Austin isn't necessarily Chadman's biggest concern. Pappy was onto something though- a majority of his flashy plays involve him being completely exposed & open in college games- that is not likely to happen at NFL level. Sure, it'll happen occasionally, but the majority of his catches are going to come with at least 1 DB hanging off him.

Is he strong enough, physical enough, to fight for the ball effectively on any pass not thrown 60 yards downfield?

In open space, Chadman has no doubt Austin is going to be an exciting prospect. But 'open space' is some rare air on NFL Sunday. Bailey looks better suited to being an every down WR.

It could be that Austin might be better suited at RB.

AkronSteel
04-03-2013, 06:24 PM
I'll pass on Austin. His size alone scares me and lots of times those spread WR in college don't always transition to the pros. I do not want another Troy Edwards!!!

ramblinjim
04-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Well, and to be clear, I'm not knocking Austin, I'm just concerned about Austin as a 1st rounder is all.

calmkiller
04-04-2013, 07:37 AM
I'll pass on Austin. His size alone scares me and lots of times those spread WR in college don't always transition to the pros. I do not want another Troy Edwards!!!

He ran the same position in the same offense for the same coach as Wes Welker. Mister Pittsburgh brought up Welker's size above. Not saying he is the next Wes Welker by any means. But he is faster and quicker. All I am saying is he is a better comparison to Welker than he is Edwards, because he played in the exact same offense, exact same position under the exact same coach that Welker did. I am not going to be mad when the Steelers don't draft him. Just saying the general thought process here is wrong.

calmkiller
04-04-2013, 07:44 AM
For Comparison sake. And this is all just for fun. Hope I am not annoying anyone with this stuff. I enjoy arguing when I actually know (or think i know) what I'm talking about.

Receiving & Rushing

Data Coverage (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/about/data-coverage.html) (*=bowl stats included) Glossary SHARE Embed CSV PRE LINK (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/wes-welker-1.html#receiving::none) ?

Receiving
Rushing
Scrimmage

Year
School
Conf
Class
Pos
Rec
Yds
Avg
TD
Att
Yds
Avg
TD
Plays
Yds
Avg
TD

2000 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2000.html)
Texas Tech (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-tech/2000.html)
Big 12 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2000.html)
FR
RB

2001 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2001.html)
Texas Tech (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-tech/2001.html)
Big 12 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2001.html)
SO
RB

2002 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2002.html)*
Texas Tech (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-tech/2002.html)
Big 12 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2002.html)
JR
RB

2003 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2003.html)*
Texas Tech (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-tech/2003.html)
Big 12 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2003.html)
SR
WR

Career
Texas Tech (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-tech/)

Receiving & Rushing

Data Coverage (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/about/data-coverage.html) (*=bowl stats included) LINK (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tavon-austin-1.html#receiving::none)

Receiving
Rushing
Scrimmage

Year
School
Conf
Class
Pos
Rec
Yds
Avg
TD
Att
Yds
Avg
TD
Plays
Yds
Avg
TD

2009 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2009.html)*
West Virginia (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/west-virginia/2009.html)
Big East (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-east/2009.html)
FR
RB

2010 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2010.html)*
West Virginia (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/west-virginia/2010.html)
Big East (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-east/2010.html)
SO
RB

2011 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2011.html)*
West Virginia (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/west-virginia/2011.html)
Big East (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-east/2011.html)
JR
RB

2012 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2012.html)*
West Virginia (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/west-virginia/2012.html)
Big 12 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2012.html)
SR
WR

Career
West Virginia (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/west-virginia/)

calmkiller
04-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Punt & Kick Returns Data Coverage (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/about/data-coverage.html) (*=bowl stats included) Glossary SHARE Embed CSV PRE LINK (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/wes-welker-1.html#punt_ret::none) ?

Punt Ret
Kick Ret

Year
School
Conf
Class
Pos
Ret
Yds
Avg
TD
Ret
Yds
Avg
TD

2000 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2000.html)
Texas Tech (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-tech/2000.html)
Big 12 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2000.html)
FR
RB

2001 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2001.html)
Texas Tech (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-tech/2001.html)
Big 12 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2001.html)
SO
RB

2002 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2002.html)*
Texas Tech (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-tech/2002.html)
Big 12 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2002.html)
JR
RB

2003 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2003.html)*
Texas Tech (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-tech/2003.html)
Big 12 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2003.html)
SR
WR

Career
Texas Tech (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-tech/)

Kick & Punt Returns

Data Coverage (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/about/data-coverage.html) (*=bowl stats included) Glossary SHARE Embed CSV PRE LINK (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tavon-austin-1.html#kick_ret::none) ?

Kick Ret
Punt Ret

Year
School
Conf
Class
Pos
Ret
Yds
Avg
TD
Ret
Yds
Avg
TD

2009 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2009.html)*
West Virginia (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/west-virginia/2009.html)
Big East (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-east/2009.html)
FR
RB

2010 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2010.html)*
West Virginia (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/west-virginia/2010.html)
Big East (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-east/2010.html)
SO
RB

2011 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2011.html)*
West Virginia (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/west-virginia/2011.html)
Big East (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-east/2011.html)
JR
RB

2012 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2012.html)*
West Virginia (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/west-virginia/2012.html)
Big 12 (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2012.html)
SR
WR

Career
West Virginia (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/west-virginia/)

feltdizz
04-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Wes Welker?

He went undrafted in 2004. I think Deshaun Jackson is a much better comparison for Austin.

calmkiller
04-04-2013, 11:13 AM
And then the Patriots gave the Dolphins a 2nd for Welker.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-04-2013, 11:54 AM
I'll put it this way....I would take WR Tavon Austin in the first round over 3-4 DE Ziggy Hood or 3-4 DE Cam Heyward.

Sugar
04-04-2013, 12:13 PM
I'll put it this way....I would take WR Tavon Austin in the first round over 3-4 DE Ziggy Hood or 3-4 DE Cam Heyward.

I would hope so, those guys weren't picked at #17 either.

Chadman
04-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Chadman would take Cordarelle Patterson & Keenan Allen before contemplating Austin.

Austin can play though. Not sure if he's #17 worthy, but he can play.

Jooser
04-04-2013, 12:28 PM
I think Tavon is more of a First Rounder than Geno. Geno will be a BUST, bank on it.

feltdizz
04-04-2013, 02:20 PM
I think Tavon is more of a First Rounder than Geno. Geno will be a BUST, bank on it.

I don't think he will be a "bust" but more of a Carson Palmer/Phillip Rivers who puts up numbers in garbage time but never wins any important games.

AkronSteel
04-04-2013, 04:51 PM
I don't think he will be a "bust" but more of a Carson Palmer/Phillip Rivers who puts up numbers in garbage time but never wins any important games.

Chadman would take Cordarelle Patterson & Keenan Allen before contemplating Austin.

Austin can play though. Not sure if he's #17 worthy, but he can play.

I think the only receiver I would want in the 1st round this year would be Keenan Allen. He is the tough kinda of receiver that this team needs. He would almost add a Hines Ward mentality back into that unit. Especially with Heath being out to start the year in all likelihood, the team will need someone to take over in the ability to get the tough receptions on 3rd down to continue drives.

calmkiller
04-04-2013, 04:54 PM

I would say that if he is developed like Aaron Rogers. Behind a vet for a couple years he will excel. If he is thrown into the fire like RGIII or Luck last year I think he will struggle.

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2013, 05:51 PM
I'll tell you what scares me...

a team that knows how to use Tavon Austin's talents properly drafting him.

feltdizz
04-04-2013, 07:19 PM
I would say that if he is developed like Aaron Rogers. Behind a vet for a couple years he will excel. If he is thrown into the fire like RGIII or Luck last year I think he will struggle.

No one does that anymore...

steelz09
04-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Does it "scare" anyone that 7 out of his 12 receiving touchdowns came against the likes of Marshall, James Madison, Maryland and Baylor. Baylor in particular has an absolutely pathetic defense.

He had a huge game against Oklahoma but that was rushing yards/tds. Also, what happened during the second half of his season? Did he pull a Mike Wallace? Injuries?

The guy is a weapon.. no doubt about it. I just don't think the guy should be a 1st round WR.

thor75
04-07-2013, 12:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000158019/article/nfl-draft-questions-cincinnati-bengals-to-add-x-factor

I wouldn't take him at 17, but I don't want to play him twice a year either. Great potential as a returner if the team has the guts to use him that way. You always see some teams sit their potentially best returner for fear of losing them for their other duties as WR, RB, etc.

Big Ern McCracken
04-07-2013, 01:56 PM
I'll tell you what scares me...

a team that knows how to use Tavon Austin's talents properly drafting him.

Like New England you mean? That is scarey.

ramblinjim
04-08-2013, 12:16 PM
ok, agreed. Tom Brady and his three step drops hitting Austin and his 4.3 speed in stride on those little seven yard outs also scares me.

feltdizz
04-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Does it "scare" anyone that 7 out of his 12 receiving touchdowns came against the likes of Marshall, James Madison, Maryland and Baylor. Baylor in particular has an absolutely pathetic defense.

He had a huge game against Oklahoma but that was rushing yards/tds. Also, what happened during the second half of his season? Did he pull a Mike Wallace? Injuries?

The guy is a weapon.. no doubt about it. I just don't think the guy should be a 1st round WR.

WVU's D was worse than Baylors... they pretty much played from behind the whole second half of the season.

Geno Smith is also an over hyped QB who didn't have the killer instinct... he pretty much goes into a shell once things stopped going his way. WVU was pretty pathetic last year IMO.

calmkiller
04-08-2013, 02:58 PM
WVU's D was worse than Baylors... they pretty much played from behind the whole second half of the season.

Geno Smith is also an over hyped QB who didn't have the killer instinct... he pretty much goes into a shell once things stopped going his way. WVU was pretty pathetic last year IMO.

This. Truth

Big Ern McCracken
04-08-2013, 05:29 PM
This. Truth

Pathetic indeed... and going to be much worse the next few years. Holgorson's days are numbered.

hawaiiansteel
04-08-2013, 05:43 PM
ok, agreed. Tom Brady and his three step drops hitting Austin and his 4.3 speed in stride on those little seven yard outs also scares me.

all you have to do is get the ball in Tavon Austin's hands and he is a threat to take it all the way every time.

calmkiller
04-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Pathetic indeed... and going to be much worse the next few years. Holgorson's days are numbered.

This I would disagree with. Holgerson is learning to be a head coach. He did poorly on his defensive hires. That has been resolved.

Slapstick
04-09-2013, 11:51 AM
all you have to do is get the ball in ________________'s hands and he is a threat to take it all the way every time.

Chris Rainey, right? ;)

Jooser
04-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Chris Rainey, right? ;)

Absolutely not. Rainey was a track guy and could NOT elude tacklers. Tavon Austin makes people miss as easy as Charlie Sheen makes a line of blow go away. Tackling that dude is like trying to herd cats.

Junior highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3UOd9_Tkw

I really like Cordarelle Patterson too.

TUNAS427
04-10-2013, 02:16 PM
2012 13 games 114 catches 1289 yards 11.3 avg 12 tds.....tavon senior stats Hopkins cant touch that

Big Ern McCracken
04-10-2013, 03:16 PM
This I would disagree with. Holgerson is learning to be a head coach. He did poorly on his defensive hires. That has been resolved.

Not saying Holgerson is a bad coach... just saying the cupboard is bare.. Might be able to win some in the near future if still in the big east. Ain't happenin' in the big 12 though. As a fellow Moutaineer, I've seen this program rise to greatness in the last 10 years. The fans and alumni aren't going to sit by and watch Holgerson put up 5 win seasons the next few years, regardless of how good of an offensive mind he is.

calmkiller
04-17-2013, 11:49 AM
John Gruden was asked about Tavon in an interview. Here is what he had to say:

Q. I was wondering what your thoughts were on Tavon Austin?

GRUDEN: Tavon Austin, I'm glad you brought him up. He's my favorite player in the draft. I'm sensitive to him because he's 5'8" like myself. When you watch the kid play, he's magnificent. He's a great return man, punts, kicks. He lines up at tailback, and he plays like a tailback. He looks like Darren Sproles at tailback and he looks like Wes Welker in the slot.
I've seen him be magnificent after the catch, all-purpose yardage, look, he's tough. Tremendous stop and start quickness and flat‑out finishing speed. I've seen quick guys, fast players, but I've never seen very many that have the combination of speed and quickness like Austin has. He ran for 8,000 yards as a high school tailback in Maryland, and he averaged 7 or 8 yards a carry this year when they handed it to him. He's just a fun, deluxe joker to have on your football team. He's going to make an impact, I believe, big time.

thor75
04-17-2013, 12:14 PM
http://dynastyfootballwarehouse.com/the-case-against-cordarrelle-patterson/

I too would take Austin over Patterson. I have been against Austin before due to his size. I'm still on the fence. I guess I'm leery due to Rainey's lack of splash plays last year. I know they're two different players and maybe my expectations were too high.

ikestops85
04-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Austin reminds me a lot of Percy Harvin when he came out. I think if you find a way to give this guy 15 touches a game you have a star on your hands. If you don't then it's a wasted pick. I know if we still had Arians here Austin would be a wasted pick. I don't know about Haley yet. Let's just say I wasn't real impressed with what he did (or didn't do) with Rainey.

steelz09
04-17-2013, 02:03 PM
2012 13 games 114 catches 1289 yards 11.3 avg 12 tds.....tavon senior stats Hopkins cant touch that

Lol - Hopkins had more yards, a higher average, and 6 more receiving TDs.

"Can't touch this" - MC Hammer

Hopkins 2013 stats:

2012 Game Log

Receiving

DATE

OPP

RESULT

REC

YDS

AVG

LNG

TD

9/1

@Auburn (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2/auburn-tigers)

W 26-19 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322450002)

9/8

Ball State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2050/ball-state-cardinals)

W 52-27 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322520228)

9/15

Furman (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/231/furman-paladins)

W 41-7 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322590228)

9/22

@Florida State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/52/florida-state-seminoles)

L 49-37 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322660052)

9/29

@Boston College (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/103/boston-college-eagles)

W 45-31 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322730103)

10/6

Georgia Tech (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/59/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets)

W 47-31 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322800228)

10/20

Virginia Tech (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/259/virginia-tech-hokies)

W 38-17 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322940228)

10/25

@Wake Forest (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/154/wake-forest-demon-deacons)

W 42-13 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322990154)

11/3

@Duke (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/150/duke-blue-devils)

W 56-20 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=323080150)

11/10

Maryland (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/120/maryland-terrapins)

W 45-10 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=323150228)

11/17

North Carolina State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/152/north-carolina-state-wolfpack)

W 62-48 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=323220228)

11/24

South Carolina (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2579/south-carolina-gamecocks)

L 27-17 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=323290228)

Chick-fil-A BOWL

12/31

LSU (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/99/lsu-tigers)

W 25-24 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=323660228)

Tavon Austin Stats:

DATE

OPP

RESULT

REC

YDS

AVG

LNG

TD

9/1

Marshall (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/276/marshall-thundering-herd)

W 69-34 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322450277)

9/15

James Madison (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/256/james-madison-dukes)

W 42-12 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322590277)

9/22

W 31-21 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322660277)

9/29

Baylor (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/239/baylor-bears)

W 70-63 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322730277)

10/6

@Texas (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/251/texas-longhorns)

W 48-45 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322800251)

10/13

@Texas Tech (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2641/texas-tech-red-raiders)

L 49-14 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322872641)

10/20

Kansas State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2306/kansas-state-wildcats)

L 55-14 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322940277)

11/3

TCU (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2628/tcu-horned-frogs)

L 39-38 (2OT) (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=323080277)

11/10

@Oklahoma State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/197/oklahoma-state-cowboys)

L 55-34 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=323150197)

11/17

Oklahoma (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/201/oklahoma-sooners)

L 50-49 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=323220277)

11/23

@Iowa State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/66/iowa-state-cyclones)

W 31-24 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=323280066)

12/1

Kansas (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2305/kansas-jayhawks)

W 59-10 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=323360277)

NEW ERA PINSTRIPE BOWL

12/29

@Syracuse (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/183/syracuse-orange)

L 38-14 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=323640183)

Tavon Austin Receiving Totals:

REC

YDS

TD

AVG

LONG

DeAndre Hopkins Receiving Totals:

REC

YDS

TD

AVG

LONG

Hopkins was consistent throughout the entire year. Why did Austin drop off so dramatically?

Austin's best receiving game = Baylor. Not knocking Austin here (he's a good player) but Baylor's defense is barely a cut above pee wee football.

Hopkins best game was on Clemson's biggest stage of the year... against LSU in the Chick-fil-a bowl in which he shreaded LSU's defense and won the game with a critical catch on 4th down late in the 4th quarter. Not to mention against a defense that is loaded with NFL prospects.

steelz09
04-17-2013, 02:18 PM

Hopkins 2013 stats:

2012 Game Log

Receiving

DATE

OPP

RESULT

REC

YDS

AVG

LNG

TD

9/1

9/8

Ball State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2050/ball-state-cardinals)

9/15

9/22

@Florida State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/52/florida-state-seminoles)

9/29

@Boston College (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/103/boston-college-eagles)

10/6

Georgia Tech (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/59/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets)

10/20

Virginia Tech (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/259/virginia-tech-hokies)

10/25

@Wake Forest (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/154/wake-forest-demon-deacons)

11/3

11/10

11/17

North Carolina State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/152/north-carolina-state-wolfpack)

11/24

South Carolina (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2579/south-carolina-gamecocks)

Chick-fil-A BOWL

12/31

Tavon Austin Stats:

DATE

OPP

RESULT

REC

YDS

AVG

LNG

TD

9/1

Marshall (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/276/marshall-thundering-herd)

9/15

James Madison (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/256/james-madison-dukes)

9/22

9/29

10/6

10/13

@Texas Tech (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2641/texas-tech-red-raiders)

10/20

Kansas State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2306/kansas-state-wildcats)

11/3

11/10

@Oklahoma State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/197/oklahoma-state-cowboys)

11/17

11/23

@Iowa State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/66/iowa-state-cyclones)

12/1

NEW ERA PINSTRIPE BOWL

12/29

REC
YDS
TD
AVG
LONG

REC
YDS
TD
AVG
LONG

IMO, Hopkins played against tougher competition. Hopkins was consistent throughout the entire year. Why did Austin drop off so dramatically?

Austin's best receiving game = Baylor. Not knocking Austin here (he's a good player) but Baylor's defense is barely a cut above pee wee football.

Hopkins best game was on Clemson's biggest stage of the year... against LSU in the Chick-fil-a bowl in which he streaded LSU's defense and won the game with a critical catch on 4th down late in the 4th quarter. Not to mention against a defense that is loaded with NFL prospects.

Big Ern McCracken
04-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Austin reminds me a lot of Percy Harvin when he came out. I think if you find a way to give this guy 15 touches a game you have a star on your hands. If you don't then it's a wasted pick. I know if we still had Arians here Austin would be a wasted pick. I don't know about Haley yet. Let's just say I wasn't real impressed with what he did (or didn't do) with Rainey.

I was thinking Percy Harvin as well.

Big Ern McCracken
04-17-2013, 05:58 PM

Hopkins 2013 stats:

2012 Game Log

Receiving

DATE

OPP

RESULT

REC

YDS

AVG

LNG

TD

9/1

9/8

9/15

9/22

9/29

10/6

10/20

10/25

11/3

11/10

11/17

11/24

Chick-fil-A BOWL

12/31

Tavon Austin Stats:

DATE

OPP

RESULT

REC

YDS

AVG

LNG

TD

9/1

9/15

9/22

9/29

10/6

10/13

10/20

11/3

11/10

11/17

11/23

12/1

NEW ERA PINSTRIPE BOWL

12/29

REC
YDS
TD
AVG
LONG

REC
YDS
TD
AVG
LONG

IMO, Hopkins played against tougher competition. Hopkins was consistent throughout the entire year. Why did Austin drop off so dramatically?

Hopkins best game was on Clemson's biggest stage of the year... against LSU in the Chick-fil-a bowl in which he streaded LSU's defense and won the game with a critical catch on 4th down late in the 4th quarter. Not to mention against a defense that is loaded with NFL prospects.

Don't forget... Tavon had 350 YARDS RUSHING against Oklahoma this year. All the more reason I take Austin. The kid is versatile.

steelz09
04-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Don't forget... Tavon had 350 YARDS RUSHING against Oklahoma this year. All the more reason I take Austin. The kid is versatile.

The kid is good but big deal regarding the 350 rushing yards. It's an impressive # but I'm not going to overdraft the guy because of that. It's one game. If we draft him, he'll be drafted to play WR as his PRIMARY position... not RB. The Steelers do not typically have their starting WRs as PR/KR either. So if history holds true, Austin won't be a long term KR/PR for the Steelers. He MIGHT see a couple of trick plays a game that involves him rushing.

Is he more dynamic than Hopkins... Probably.

I don't want a jack of all trades player that won't be utilized. I want a WR that is an outside threat. Hopkins would be an outside WR. Austin would be best leveraged in the slot. We don't need another slot receiver... we need an outside guy. Hopkins is that... Austin is not.

Shoe
04-17-2013, 07:04 PM
I was going to come on here to start a Tavon Austin thread, because I think I've concluded that he is the guy I'm hoping is there when we pick. As said about the "knock" on his game already, the guy has not missed a game during his college career (his coach also said he can't remember him missing practice).

Chadman
04-17-2013, 07:10 PM
If it comes down to a pass catcher at #17, Chadman would want Patterson over Austin, and not necessarily because of a 'size' thing. In Chadman's opinion, Patterson is a better 'after the catch' runner than Austin (strange, Chadman understands, as all Austin highlights show him running after the catch). Patterson consistantly seems to be breaking tackles, however, unlike Austin who is flying through open space. In the NFL, open space is rare air.

Big Ern McCracken
04-17-2013, 08:17 PM
The kid is good but big deal regarding the 350 rushing yards. It's an impressive # but I'm not going to overdraft the guy because of that. It's one game. If we draft him, he'll be drafted to play WR as his PRIMARY position... not RB. The Steelers do not typically have their starting WRs as PR/KR either. So if history holds true, Austin won't be a long term KR/PR for the Steelers. He MIGHT see a couple of trick plays a game that involves him rushing.

I don't want a jack of all trades player that won't be utilized. I want a WR that is an outside threat. Hopkins would be an outside WR. Austin would be best leveraged in the slot. We don't need another slot receiver... we need an outside guy. Hopkins is that... Austin is not.

350 yards no big deal huh??? lol... How many runningbacks in the draft have a 350 yard game? the bottom line is... the more a kid can do, the more a defense has to prepare for. Of course you have to have a competent OC like the patriots to utilize a weapon like this to the best of his abilities....

It would be nice to have an outside receiver...but, if your trademark is to go with the "Best Player Available", it's Tavon Austin.

thor75
04-17-2013, 08:29 PM
So if history holds true, Austin won't be a long term KR/PR for the Steelers. He MIGHT see a couple of trick plays a game that involves him rushing.

Very well stated. DeSean Jackson, Randall Cobb, Percy Harvin to name a few. These guys are dynamic returners who contribute for their special teams. I think the Steelers would be hesitant to put Austin on kick return duty. He would greatly impact the field position battle IF they would use him. Last year on denver radio there was a big debate over the donkeys having Jim Leonhard return punts. The coaches didn't seem to mind if his returns were minimal, they knew they could count on him securing the ball. Just depends on the teams philosophy. I would hate to draft him and have that game changer on the bench in those situations.

Big Ern McCracken
04-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Very well stated. DeSean Jackson, Randall Cobb, Percy Harvin to name a few. These guys are dynamic returners who contribute for their special teams. I think the Steelers would be hesitant to put Austin on kick return duty. He would greatly impact the field position battle IF they would use him. Last year on denver radio there was a big debate over the donkeys having Jim Leonhard return punts. The coaches didn't seem to mind if his returns were minimal, they knew they could count on him securing the ball. Just depends on the teams philosophy. I would hate to draft him and have that game changer on the bench in those situations.

Yea, you don't want a kid with those talents sitting on the bench. He's only a "reach" with the first pick if they don't utilize his versatility. I guess it's "6 in one, 1/2 dozen in the other" so to speak. You can take patterson this year... and work on drafting sander's replacement next year, or draft sander's replacement this year (Austin), and let Plex Burris play the "Big receiver" role this year...

then draft a tall receiver next year.... or, maybe draft a big receiver in the late rounds (this year) that has a big upside... let them develop for a year, and give them some reps at some point.

steelz09
04-17-2013, 09:25 PM
350 yards no big deal huh??? lol... How many runningbacks in the draft have a 350 yard game? the bottom line is... the more a kid can do, the more a defense has to prepare for. Of course you have to have a competent OC like the patriots to utilize a weapon like this to the best of his abilities....

It would be nice to have an outside receiver...but, if your trademark is to go with the "Best Player Available", it's Tavon Austin.

I don't think he'll be BPA. I don't think he's the best receiver let alone BPA. The reality is the Steelers do NOT historically use their their starting WRs as KR/PR much beyond the first year. Not in the Tomlin era and not in the Cowher era. You really think that philosophy is going to change with Austin?

DukieBoy
04-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Why would we need another small receiver? We have gilreath if we need that. We have bigger needs.

Big Ern McCracken
04-18-2013, 06:08 AM
I don't think he'll be BPA. I don't think he's the best receiver let alone BPA. The reality is the Steelers do NOT historically use their their starting WRs as KR/PR much beyond the first year. Not in the Tomlin era and not in the Cowher era. You really think that philosophy is going to change with Austin? I didn't say anything about using him as a kick returner.

Big Ern McCracken
04-18-2013, 06:10 AM
Why would we need another small receiver? We have gilreath if we need that. We have bigger needs.

I agree that we have bigger needs in the draft. I'm hoping they draft a safety or ILB with the first pick. I was only making a "What if'" comparison of Patterson v Austin for the first pick.

feltdizz
04-18-2013, 09:25 AM

The score was 50 to 49... so you pretty much have to throw those stats out the window. This was a track meet... most Big 12 games are track meets these days and it's rare to see a low scoring affair these days.

Big Ern McCracken
04-18-2013, 11:48 AM
The score was 50 to 49... so you pretty much have to throw those stats out the window. This was a track meet... most Big 12 games are track meets these days and it's rare to see a low scoring affair these days.

You are right about the Big 12, but you certainly can't take away from the kid's ability. How many times did the Sooners give up 350 yards rushing total this year, let alone to one player?