PDA

View Full Version : Subtract another team from the qb question in the top ten: Flynn to Raiders

BigRob
03-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Flynn to raiders. Yet another team who will pass on a QB in the top ten. They will cut Palmer and he will end up in ARIZ with Arians (my prediction) and it will take yet another team out of considering a top 10 QB.

I'm calling the pick now. Eric Fisher to the Raiduhs.

hawaiiansteel
03-29-2013, 04:13 PM
I also read that the Bills may be interested in Kevin Kolb, which might cause them to also not draft a QB in the first round.

Siggy00
03-29-2013, 05:02 PM
And Romo just got $55 MILLION GUARANTEED.

That's why friends, Ben is out of here by 2015, maybe 2014. Why pay him that much for 1975 football?

Any idiot can hand off.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Geno Smith falls to Steelers and Tomlin shoots one off in his pants.

Siggy00
03-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Wouldn't shock me. Art would love it.

Siggy00
03-29-2013, 07:32 PM
And Rodgers is close to $25 mil a season coming up.

And you guys still think Ben stays here? Get real.

SS Laser
03-29-2013, 09:19 PM
And Rodgers is close to $25 mil a season coming up.

And you guys still think Ben stays here? Get real.

If Ben does say a Steeler will you say how wrong you "were" and leave this board FOREVER?:evil:

Siggy00
03-29-2013, 09:47 PM
If Ben does say a Steeler will you say how wrong you "were" and leave this board FOREVER?:evil:

Um....

well....

No....

phillyesq
03-30-2013, 12:00 PM

Crash is never wrong. When the facts don't support him he abandons the issue or changes the topic.

Siggy00
03-31-2013, 01:01 AM
Crash is never wrong. When the facts don't support him he abandons the issue or changes the topic.

Facts always support me. I said Haley was a disaster the minute they hired him.

8-8.

It's time for another edition of Crash's Steelers history, so pull up your chair philly and read below:

The history of this team shows when they hire an outsider as OC? It fails.

Joe Walton 1990: Missed the playoffs.

Ray Sherman 1998: Missed the playoffs.

Kevin Gilbride 1999: Missed the playoffs.

Todd Haley 2012: Missed the playoffs.

Three of those coaches inherited teams that went to the playoffs the year prior to being hired.

On the other side of the scale? When the Steelers promote IN house.

Chan Gailey 1996: Playoffs.

Mike Mularkey 2001: Playoffs.

Ken Whisenhut 2004: Playoffs.

Bruce Arians 2007: Playoffs.

Three of those coaches inherited teams that FAILED to make the playoffs the year before they were hired.

So while idiots in the owners box bemoan the relationship between Ben/BA as being "too close" and use them as the scapegoats to protect Dick LeBeau's poor performance in the 4th quarter for 5 years, as well as blame them for the "#1 ranked defense" being humiliated by the NFL's biggest side show freak in the 2012 playoffs, the facts actually show (With Ben as well as before Ben's arrival in 2004) that when this team hires an OC that is familiar with the talent on it, and has a past working relationship with it, it does well.

Which says here the minute they decided that Kirby Wilson (Tomlin's preferred choice after Art canned BA) couldn't perform OC duties due to the injuries suffered in that fire? Tomlin should have been allowed to promote in house candidate Randy Fichtner, who's paid his dues as the WR coach, and then as the QB coach, to OC. It would have given the entire offense a comfort level and probably meant the system wouldn't have been totally revamped, especially for guys like Sanders and Brown who were entering their crucial 3rd seasons, at the same time keeping Mike Wallace as the NFL's premiere deep threat.

But Art couldn't allow that, he hired some scumbag that no one wants to work with because his Dad was a Rooney hired hand 40 years ago and because Tom Brady was yelled at on the sidelines by his OC in 2011 instead. For some reason only known to Art his whole focus in 2012 was to put a HOF QB in his place, to flex his owner muscles and show him who's boss despite the fact that this team was experiencing its second greatest success in its 80 year history next to the 1970's dynasty once #7 became their full time starter in Week 3 of his rookie season.

And Art and his team paid the price for it.

This covers 1990 to 2012, with 8 of the last 9 OC's of this team (Does not include Ron Erhardt who was on Bill Cowher's original 1992 staff as his first OC).

You can either accept the facts, or keep your head buried in the sand while ignoring them.

And wrongfully calling me a troll, won't change them either.

Class dismissed.

thor75
03-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Kevin Kolb just went to the Bills. Guess I'll have to adjust my mock. I had them taking Geno Smith.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156120/article/kevin-kolb-agrees-to-contract-with-buffalo-bills

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2013, 03:15 PM
Kevin Kolb just went to the Bills. Guess I'll have to adjust my mock. I had them taking Geno Smith.

Geno Smith hopes the Chiefs are serious about drafting him

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer
March 31, 2013

About a month before we all meet in New York for the 2013 NFL Draft, now is the time of the year when the team drafting first overall starts sending up smokescreens. The Chiefs most likely are no different.

Though five of our six mock drafters think Kansas City will take an offensive tackle at No. 1 -- either Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel or Central Michigan's Eric Fisher -- the Chiefs are putting out word that's not necessarily true.

So, the team's official Twitter account shows pictures of coaches working out Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd, and coach Andy Reid slyly talks about the talents of West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith.

The goal could be to entice other teams who might want a Floyd or a Smith to potentially trade up with the Chiefs in order to grab the player whom those other squads might want. But Smith, for one, hopes Kansas City's supposed interest in him is really true.

“I hope Kansas City is legitimately interested. I hope I go No. 1. But, hey, we'll see,'' Smith told USA Today in a phone interview. "The Chiefs are bringing me in, so I'm going in there thinking that they're interested [in me], because I am in them.

"I'm just going to do what I've always done, try and impress them, just be myself and allow the process to do its job and get ready for whoever drafts me. I'll be going Monday to Friday, working out for different teams.”

It seems unlikely the Chiefs, who will work him out Monday, would draft Smith in the first round, particularly since they just gave up two second-round draft picks in a trade for Alex Smith and because there are still plenty of questions about Smith's NFL prospects (even though he's probably the top quarterback prospect coming out of college this season).

For the record, our mock drafters have Smith going anywhere from No. 3 to Oakland down to No. 8 to Buffalo. But Smith also could be mighty tempting for the Chiefs.

As USA Today points out, “Smith ran an impressive, 4.56-second, 40-yard dash at the scouting combine, and followed that with a 60-of-64 pro day performance on March 14. He has received strong reviews from teams he's met with, including new Jacksonville Jaguars coach Gus Bradley (after his pro day) and new Eagles coach Chip Kelly, general manager Howie Roseman and owner Jeffrey Lurie (after a workout two days before his pro day).”

It seems likely that Smith will hear his name within the first 10 picks on the first night of the draft, although CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco isn't sure he'd take Smith within the first 20 picks. It probably won't be with Kansas City, but, hey, maybe the Chiefs aren't sending out a smokescreen and really are thinking about drafting Smith.

At this time of the year, it's impossible to know one way or the other.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21983678/geno-smith-hopes-the-chiefs-are-serious-about-drafting-him

LordVile
03-31-2013, 06:16 PM

8-8.

It's time for another edition of Crash's Steelers history, so pull up your chair philly and read below:

The history of this team shows when they hire an outsider as OC? It fails.

Joe Walton 1990: Missed the playoffs.

Ray Sherman 1998: Missed the playoffs.

Kevin Gilbride 1999: Missed the playoffs.

Todd Haley 2012: Missed the playoffs.

Three of those coaches inherited teams that went to the playoffs the year prior to being hired.

On the other side of the scale? When the Steelers promote IN house.

Chan Gailey 1996: Playoffs.

Mike Mularkey 2001: Playoffs.

Ken Whisenhut 2004: Playoffs.

Bruce Arians 2007: Playoffs.

Three of those coaches inherited teams that FAILED to make the playoffs the year before they were hired.

So while idiots in the owners box bemoan the relationship between Ben/BA as being "too close" and use them as the scapegoats to protect Dick LeBeau's poor performance in the 4th quarter for 5 years, as well as blame them for the "#1 ranked defense" being humiliated by the NFL's biggest side show freak in the 2012 playoffs, the facts actually show (With Ben as well as before Ben's arrival in 2004) that when this team hires an OC that is familiar with the talent on it, and has a past working relationship with it, it does well.

Which says here the minute they decided that Kirby Wilson (Tomlin's preferred choice after Art canned BA) couldn't perform OC duties due to the injuries suffered in that fire? Tomlin should have been allowed to promote in house candidate Randy Fichtner, who's paid his dues as the WR coach, and then as the QB coach, to OC. It would have given the entire offense a comfort level and probably meant the system wouldn't have been totally revamped, especially for guys like Sanders and Brown who were entering their crucial 3rd seasons, at the same time keeping Mike Wallace as the NFL's premiere deep threat.

But Art couldn't allow that, he hired some scumbag that no one wants to work with because his Dad was a Rooney hired hand 40 years ago and because Tom Brady was yelled at on the sidelines by his OC in 2011 instead. For some reason only known to Art his whole focus in 2012 was to put a HOF QB in his place, to flex his owner muscles and show him who's boss despite the fact that this team was experiencing its second greatest success in its 80 year history next to the 1970's dynasty once #7 became their full time starter in Week 3 of his rookie season.

And Art and his team paid the price for it.

This covers 1990 to 2012, with 8 of the last 9 OC's of this team (Does not include Ron Erhardt who was on Bill Cowher's original 1992 staff as his first OC).

You can either accept the facts, or keep your head buried in the sand while ignoring them.

And wrongfully calling me a troll, won't change them either.

Class dismissed.

Ben got hurt due to his OWN play.. That's the main reason we missed the playoffs.. Not Haley.. One game and few plays from making playoffs.. Wouldn't take your class If I was paid..

Siggy00
03-31-2013, 09:15 PM
The play-call was garbage, having Heath in the backfield was garbage, it was 3rd and 4 and he's lined up in the backffield with Ben. So he has to run 9 yards, to gain 4.

Redman was blocking on the play also, so there was no dumpoff for Ben either.

If people don't want Ben to step up in the pocket? He's of no use to this team.

Trade him and start Gradkowski.

The facts speak for themselves. Hiring outsiders as OC has been a recipe for disaster for DECADES.

Don't shoot the messenger.

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2013, 10:17 PM

8-8.

I'm sure all of the injuries the Steelers had last season had absolutely nothing to do with our 8-8 record.

no, it was ALL Todd Haley's fault.

Siggy00
03-31-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm sure all of the injuries the Steelers had last season had absolutely nothing to do with our 8-8 record.

no, it was ALL Todd Haley's fault.

Arians had injuries to deal with too. For YEARS his offensive line was an injury riddled mess.

Didn't stop his offense did it?

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2013, 10:25 PM
Arians had injuries to deal with too. For YEARS his offensive line was an injury riddled mess.

Didn't stop his offense did it?

not until it got into the red zone anyway...

Siggy00
03-31-2013, 10:34 PM
not until it got into the red zone anyway...

That's what happens when ownership demands the run game.

Only in Pittsburgh would an owner cut the balls off of his own franchise QB.

Art got what he wanted. He also got 8-8.

He can either step back, or he can continue to drive this team into the ground.

His choice.

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2013, 11:09 PM
That's what happens when ownership demands the run game.

Only in Pittsburgh would an owner cut the balls off of his own franchise QB.

Art got what he wanted. He also got 8-8.

He can either step back, or he can continue to drive this team into the ground.

His choice.

so ownership told Arians that he could throw all he wanted until we got to the red zone and then we had to run?

Siggy00
03-31-2013, 11:30 PM
so ownership told Arians that he could throw all he wanted until we got to the red zone and then we had to run?

Anyone who follows this team would know that local fans, and local media would get upset when Bruce Arians tried to throw the ball in the red zone.

They wanted their run game like when ol' Franco and ol' Jerome were here.

This whole sad situation started after 2009.

Arians appeased Art's wishes starting in 2010. The play-calling, specifically on first down in the red zone, was proof of that.

papillon
04-01-2013, 11:02 AM
The play-call was garbage, having Heath in the backfield was garbage, it was 3rd and 4 and he's lined up in the backffield with Ben. So he has to run 9 yards, to gain 4.

Redman was blocking on the play also, so there was no dumpoff for Ben either.

If people don't want Ben to step up in the pocket? He's of no use to this team.

Trade him and start Gradkowski.

The facts speak for themselves. Hiring outsiders as OC has been a recipe for disaster for DECADES.

Don't shoot the messenger.

It's always someone else's fault and never Ben. Regardless of the play call, the ball should have been thrown away long before he took the hit. The play was doomed frm the start, bad play call, poor execution, poor planning, wrong situation, etc., the best thing to do there is to live and fight another day rather than get hit and not be able to fight for 3 weeks. That wasn't one of those plays that Ben makes, he had no escape route to get outside the pocket, throw it into the ground or into the cheap seats (he's got a strong arm) and live for the next play not die for the next three games.

Pappy

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 11:06 AM
It's always someone else's fault and never Ben. Regardless of the play call, the ball should have been thrown away long before he took the hit.

So you want Ben, from the POCKET, to just start throwing balls away and quitting on 3rd and 4?

If that's what you want? Trade him.

Only in Yinzer Pittsburgh do fans want to dumb down their quarterback.

papillon
04-01-2013, 11:15 AM
So you want Ben, from the POCKET, to just start throwing balls away and quitting on 3rd and 4?

If that's what you want? Trade him.

Only in Yinzer Pittsburgh do fans want to dumb down their quarterback.

That F'ing play was a catastrophe from the GD start! Yes, in that situation, no escape, not looking down field because the pocket was collapsing, throw the GD thing away, why is that so F'ing hard to understand? When Ben has an escape route or only has to beat one defender, then, no, don't throw it away, because I believe Ben wins in that situation, but with the pocket collapsing there was absolutely no reason to try and make something happen, because it wasn't going to happen. It wasn't the last drive of the game or last gasp effort, there was time to make plays and win the game. Bad decision, IMO and it cost Ben three games, three games the Steelers didn't need to have him on the bench. Sometimes discretion is the bettor part of valor.

I've said it over and over again, Ben is as unique a talent that there is playing the position and Steeler games have never been more fun to watch, but situational football isn't exactly Ben's strength.

Pappy

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 11:20 AM
So again, you want Ben to take grounding penalties and quit?

Anyone can do that. Why pay him $15 mil?

The Steelers don't appreciate Ben's talent. They'd rather hire a coach to yell at him.

It's why we are what we are.

papillon
04-01-2013, 11:52 AM
So again, you want Ben to take grounding penalties and quit?

Anyone can do that. Why pay him $15 mil?

The Steelers don't appreciate Ben's talent. They'd rather hire a coach to yell at him.

It's why we are what we are.

Yea, you got me, I want him to ground it every play, you're blind love for Ben won't even allow you to think that in a given situation it is better to live and fight another day than it is to try and be a hero. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers whether you like them or not don't take unnecessary hits and on occasion look like children trying to avoid getting hit, but at the end of the day, they're under center for their team.

Tom Brady 16 games per season except 2008
Peyton Manning 16 games per season except 2011
Aaron Rodgers 16 games per season since becoming a starter
Drew Brees 16 games per season (except 2003 only 11)
Ben Roethlisberger 2-12 game seasons, 2-13 game seasons, a 14 game season and a few 15 game seasons

Those few games per year can be the difference in a season particularly when a team leans on their quarterback to make plays like the Steelers do. The Steelers are a better football team with Ben on the field. He is part of the reason that he takes unnecessary hits and at times horrible offensive line play (see injuries and Sean Mahan) is the cause. It's time for Ben to limit the punishment he takes to the best of his ability and take his chances when the best opportunity for success exists.

The Steelers are contenders with him and less than average without him, it's that simple.

Pappy

BigRob
04-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Ain't no party like a thread-jacking party. Fo sho?

SS Laser
04-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Ain't no party like a thread-jacking party. Fo sho?

That is ALL Crash is good for. Thread jacking Ben loving TROLL!

DBR96A
04-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Flynn to raiders. ... They will cut Palmer and he will end up in ARIZ with Arians (my prediction)...

Carson Palmer's arm has been shot since his elbow surgery. It's not strong enough for an offense as vertical as Bruce Arians'. If he somehow ends up with the Cardinals and wins the starting job, he'll end up a modern-day Darryl Stingley.

BufordTJustice
04-02-2013, 12:33 AM
He's right. Palmer is so done it's pathetic.

Btw, Rodgers takes a TON of hits, he also runs around and scrambles, has two 50 sack seasons under his belt (so much for throwing the ball away), and missed games due to injury.

The Ben list above is mis-leading:

His first season he wasn't the starter when the season started. Then was held out of the last game when they were the #1 seed.

His second season, he was hurt first from the pocket when roid boy Luis Castillo cheap shotted him (with the game on the line so not sure what you'd want from him), and then was hurt throwing a TD pass to Heath Miller against the Ravens but finished the game. Both games were 4th quarter comebacks, had Ben decided to mail it in and quit and "fight another day" like people like you want him to do? No playoffs, and no Super Bowl title.

Third season he missed one game, due to his appendix. Nothing to do with actual football.

He missed the last game in 2007 when it was meaningless and it was done to rest him and others (They had no bye week).

2008 started every game.

2009 one game because of a concussion.

2010 the only games he missed were because of suspension. Not actual football.

2011 he missed one game.

So before the fluke injury in 2012, after 8 seasons, the total number of games that Ben missed due to being not healthy enough to play is SEVEN. And one of those was because of his appendix, and three more were because of Heinz Field's beautiful playing surface.

Has missed less time than Brady, less time than Peyton.

Big flipping deal.

BigRob
04-02-2013, 01:01 PM
He's right. Palmer is so done it's pathetic.

Btw, Rodgers takes a TON of hits, he also runs around and scrambles, has two 50 sack seasons under his belt (so much for throwing the ball away), and missed games due to injury.

The Ben list above is mis-leading:

His first season he wasn't the starter when the season started. Then was held out of the last game when they were the #1 seed.

His second season, he was hurt first from the pocket when roid boy Luis Castillo cheap shotted him (with the game on the line so not sure what you'd want from him), and then was hurt throwing a TD pass to Heath Miller against the Ravens but finished the game. Both games were 4th quarter comebacks, had Ben decided to mail it in and quit and "fight another day" like people like you want him to do? No playoffs, and no Super Bowl title.

Third season he missed one game, due to his appendix. Nothing to do with actual football.

He missed the last game in 2007 when it was meaningless and it was done to rest him and others (They had no bye week).

2008 started every game.

2009 one game because of a concussion.

2010 the only games he missed were because of suspension. Not actual football.

2011 he missed one game.

So before the fluke injury in 2012, after 8 seasons, the total number of games that Ben missed due to being not healthy enough to play is SEVEN. And one of those was because of his appendix, and three more were because of Heinz Field's beautiful playing surface.

Has missed less time than Brady, less time than Peyton.

Big flipping deal.

Wow, spot on analysis.