PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert

supersteeler
03-28-2013, 08:34 AM
I know Tyler would be a long shot to be considered by the Steelers especially with other positions they want to replace and improve on but I sure would like him as a Steeler.
On the offensive side of the ball most of the discussions are at the WR and RB positions which is understandable as we'll need to add those positions obviously, but I can't get passed his playmaking capabilities.
The thought of him and Heath Miller in the lineup would present matchup problems for opposing defenses much like NE has with Gronk and Hernandez. He's a terrific pass catcher, and can get up there with the high throws something that would be a benefit to Ben especially in the red zone offense.

With the Steelers picking at 17 there should be some real good players available at other positions, but IMO Eifert is a playmaker who could help our offense right away not just down the road.
Even with the loss of Wallace I consider both Brown and Sanders to be good WR's then we have Cotchery and Plax so I don't see an immediate need at WR unless we would lose Sanders. We only have one good TE in Heath, the rest are average and to improve our offense we don't need average we need playmakers like Eifert to round out our offense.

We got lucky last year when DeCastro fell to us, considered to be the best guard in that draft, maybe a OLB,CB, or Safety could this year for us, but if either one isn't the best at his position I want Tyler, we can fill those postions after round one.
I know... I'm beating a dead horse, the Steelers won't draft TE in round one but I still would love to see Eifert and Miller in this offense with LB'ers and Safety's trying to cover them both when Eifert is ten feet off the ground snagging passes.

Slapstick
03-28-2013, 08:57 AM
If he is BPA, there is no reason not to draft him...

feltdizz
03-28-2013, 09:19 AM
I don't think the drop off from Eifert to Ertz is that wide...

I would pick Ertz up in the second.

papillon
03-28-2013, 09:59 AM
We should pick up Eifert in the first and Ertz in the second just to watch Crash explode. :p:tt2

Pappy

supersteeler
03-28-2013, 10:26 AM

Could be Feltdizz, but scouts refer to him as not only the best TE in the draft but the best pass catcher even if you include receivers, in that regard his value to us would be tremendous.

0NFL Draft 2013: Scouts Raving About Notre Dame’s Tyler EifertMar 3rd, 2013 at 9:04 pm by Josh SanchezNFL Draft« PreviousNext » Home » NFL » NFL Draft » NFL Draft 2013: Scouts Raving About Notre Dame’s Tyler Eifert The 2013 NFL Draft class features a number of top notch tight end prospects, but Notre Dame’s Tyler Eifert continues to draw rave reviews from NFL scouts as they finish evaluating his game film.

To see the threat that Eifert presents, all you need to do is put on the national championship game when Notre Dame matched up against Alabama. Eifert demanded so much attention from the Crimson Tide defense that the team’s top cornerback Dee Milliner was given the assignment of shutting down the Fighting Irish star tight end.

Jan 7, 2013; Miami, FL, USA; Notre Dame Fighting Irish tight end Tyler Eifert (80) catches a pass defended by Alabama Crimson Tide defensive back Dee Milliner (28) during the first half of the 2013 BCS Championship game at Sun Life Stadium. Elfert was ruled out of bounds on the play. Mandatory Credit: Eileen Blass-USA TODAY Sports
“Alabama knew he was the guy they had to take away, so they put their top cover guy on him,” one top college scout said, per the Times of Trenton referring to the decision to place Milliner on Eifert.

At the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Eifert stole the show and began to pull away from Stanford’s Zach Ertz as the top tight end in the draft. Eifert has received so much praise that he is starting to be considered as the best all-round receiver in this year’s draft, not just the best tight end.“Keenan Allen (of California) is up there,” a NFL personnel man said. “But I’ll put Eifert up there with any of them. This kid is good, real good.

“(Detroit’s Brandon) Pettigrew was pretty good coming out (of Oklahoma in 2009), but this kid is better all-around then he was. This guy is the real deal. He can run. He can catch. He runs good routes. He’s not a great blocker, but he’s getting better at it, and he’ll get even better yet.”

Last season, Eifert racked up 50 receptions, 685 yards and four touchdowns, which was a step back from his previous year’s production of 63 passes, 865 yards and five touchdowns.

“He’ll probably go somewhere in the middle of the first round, somewhere in the teens,” another scout said. “And somebody is going to get a real good player there.”

There are a number of teams in the middle to late first-round that have needs at the tight end position, so the belief that Eifert could go in the teens is not out of the question.

Oviedo
03-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Time for everyone to get on board and quit characterizing the TE position as an afterthought unworthy of using a Round 1 pick. I the pass first NFL the TE is just as importnat as a WR if not more because they represent a higher priority of success for catching the pass on most plays. I may not make the ESPN highlights or be cool on Madden but TEs create more match up challenges for defenses than WRs do.

I'm totally hoping that the Steelers take Eifert at #17. There is no other player projected to be available then that would contribute as a much as a rookie and for the next decade.

Oviedo
03-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Could be Feltdizz, but scouts refer to him as not only the best TE in the draft but the best pass catcher even if you include receivers, in that regard his value to us would be tremendous.

0NFL Draft 2013: Scouts Raving About Notre Dame’s Tyler EifertMar 3rd, 2013 at 9:04 pm by Josh SanchezNFL Draft« PreviousNext » Home » NFL » NFL Draft » NFL Draft 2013: Scouts Raving About Notre Dame’s Tyler Eifert The 2013 NFL Draft class features a number of top notch tight end prospects, but Notre Dame’s Tyler Eifert continues to draw rave reviews from NFL scouts as they finish evaluating his game film.

To see the threat that Eifert presents, all you need to do is put on the national championship game when Notre Dame matched up against Alabama. Eifert demanded so much attention from the Crimson Tide defense that the team’s top cornerback Dee Milliner was given the assignment of shutting down the Fighting Irish star tight end.

Jan 7, 2013; Miami, FL, USA; Notre Dame Fighting Irish tight end Tyler Eifert (80) catches a pass defended by Alabama Crimson Tide defensive back Dee Milliner (28) during the first half of the 2013 BCS Championship game at Sun Life Stadium. Elfert was ruled out of bounds on the play. Mandatory Credit: Eileen Blass-USA TODAY Sports
“Alabama knew he was the guy they had to take away, so they put their top cover guy on him,” one top college scout said, per the Times of Trenton referring to the decision to place Milliner on Eifert.

At the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Eifert stole the show and began to pull away from Stanford’s Zach Ertz as the top tight end in the draft. Eifert has received so much praise that he is starting to be considered as the best all-round receiver in this year’s draft, not just the best tight end.“Keenan Allen (of California) is up there,” a NFL personnel man said. “But I’ll put Eifert up there with any of them. This kid is good, real good.

“(Detroit’s Brandon) Pettigrew was pretty good coming out (of Oklahoma in 2009), but this kid is better all-around then he was. This guy is the real deal. He can run. He can catch. He runs good routes. He’s not a great blocker, but he’s getting better at it, and he’ll get even better yet.”

Last season, Eifert racked up 50 receptions, 685 yards and four touchdowns, which was a step back from his previous year’s production of 63 passes, 865 yards and five touchdowns.

“He’ll probably go somewhere in the middle of the first round, somewhere in the teens,” another scout said. “And somebody is going to get a real good player there.”

There are a number of teams in the middle to late first-round that have needs at the tight end position, so the belief that Eifert could go in the teens is not out of the question.

Exactly why we should take him at #17. He could be as big if not a bigger difference maker than Gronkowski.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-28-2013, 11:00 AM
I have no problem drafting Eifert if we could get more value and move back & pick up a 3rd. Early to mid 20's should do it. There is no reason to think that 1st round TE or early round TE isn't on the radar. Miller will be 31 & Spaeth will be 30. Miller may begin on PUP. Even if he doesn't, Haley likes multiple TE sets. Speath was brought in on a dollar bill so there is no pressure to get him on the field. Paulson is still under development. I believe Miller will begin on PUP because of the Spaeth signing. Spaeth, Paulson, & Rookie will see work. That gives Miller & the Steelers a 9 week window. Lots can happen over that period of time. If all the TEs remain healthy & Miller CAN come back...They will have to find a way to carry 4 TEs if the draft choice was early or release & stick on PS squad if it was a late pick.

phillyesq
03-28-2013, 11:00 AM
I like Eifert and would be ok with the pick, but if he is the pick, the Steelers almost have to use another early pick on finding a deep threat wide receiver. Sanders and Brown both profile better as #2 WRs and neither is the type that scares you deep. If the Steelers run all short and intermediate routes, defenses will squat on those routes and also snuff out the running game.

You need to have somebody on the outside who can challenge the defense deep to help open up the short and intermediate stuff.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Just thought I'd start one more thread discussing him... I don't think there's enough out there.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-28-2013, 11:22 AM
makes me think the year Matt Jones came out how there were so many people who sounded like they'd give their first-born for the guy...

papillon
03-28-2013, 11:53 AM
I like Eifert and would be ok with the pick, but if he is the pick, the Steelers almost have to use another early pick on finding a deep threat wide receiver. Sanders and Brown both profile better as #2 WRs and neither is the type that scares you deep. If the Steelers run all short and intermediate routes, defenses will squat on those routes and also snuff out the running game.

You need to have somebody on the outside who can challenge the defense deep to help open up the short and intermediate stuff.

Or, vice versa, use the tight ends to mask the deficiency on the outside by using them like New England. Once you begin to get cut into 1000 pieces with the tight ends it gives the guys outside a little more operating room.

Pappy

Slapstick
03-28-2013, 12:06 PM
makes me think the year Matt Jones came out how there were so many people who sounded like they'd give their first-born for the guy...

...which is where the comparison ends.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-28-2013, 12:08 PM
...which is where the comparison ends.
exactly... cuz this guy's a can't miss, guaranteed superstar...

feltdizz
03-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Or, vice versa, use the tight ends to mask the deficiency on the outside by using them like New England. Once you begin to get cut into 1000 pieces with the tight ends it gives the guys outside a little more operating room.

Pappy

That's my thinking Pap... Everyone keeps talking about taking the top off the D but I think forcing the safeties to come up and tackle the TE's would have the same effect and also force the LB's to cover.

Sugar
03-28-2013, 12:20 PM
That's my thinking Pap... Everyone keeps talking about taking the top off the D but I think forcing the safeties to come up and tackle the TE's would have the same effect and also force the LB's to cover.

Add to that- Sanders and Brown are no Mike Wallace, but they aren't exactly slow. If they get a step on a guy, they are capable of taking it to the house.

pfelix73
03-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Perhaps the Spaeth add-on was just some smoke and mirrors. Letting others to believe that the Steelers aren't shopping for a TE in the draft... I'm on board with picking Eifert at #17. I wouldn't be upset if they drafted Tavon Austin either.

I have this feeling that Harrison is gonna come back to the B&G later on, thus making OLB not such a priority this year......

papillon
03-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Perhaps the Spaeth add-on was just some smoke and mirrors. Letting others to believe that the Steelers aren't shopping for a TE in the draft... I'm on board with picking Eifert at #17. I wouldn't be upset if they drafted Tavon Austin either.

I have this feeling that Harrison is gonna come back to the B&G later on, thus making OLB not such a priority this year......

According to PFT the Steelers are moving on without James.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/26/report-steelers-tell-james-harrison-theyre-not-interested/

Pappy

Oviedo
03-28-2013, 01:22 PM
According to PFT the Steelers are moving on without James.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/26/report-steelers-tell-james-harrison-theyre-not-interested/

Pappy

as they should. just move on and don't repeat the aaron smith debacle that lingered for three years

Slapstick
03-28-2013, 01:57 PM
exactly... cuz this guy's a can't miss, guaranteed superstar...

...which was never said about Matt Jones...

Sugar
03-28-2013, 04:19 PM
as they should. just move on and don't repeat the aaron smith debacle that lingered for three years

I'm curious as to why you think that is an apples to apples comparison? Aside from age, as the season ended Harrison was a productive member of the team and not in the training room. By the time Smith was gone he was also not the best at his position on the team anymore even if he were healthy. Harrison still would be.

thor75
03-28-2013, 04:28 PM
I have no problem drafting Eifert if we could get more value and move back & pick up a 3rd. Early to mid 20's should do it. There is no reason to think that 1st round TE or early round TE isn't on the radar..

If we trade back, I think the NY Giants pick him to replace their departed TE Martellus Bennett

ikestops85
03-28-2013, 04:54 PM
If a primo pass rusher isn't available when we pick then I would love to see us take the TE from ND. I think he could be used as a great red zone weapon and if he forces the defense to move up it allows Brown and Sanders more room to go deep. Just look what the TE has been doing for Indy with Dallas Clark, Dallas with Witten, SD with Gates, NO with Graham, and Gronk/Hernandez with NE. It would be a great weapon for Ben to have.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-28-2013, 05:01 PM

The Spaeth signing does not have to be smoke and mirrors. He is on the cap for under a mil next year. He is perfectly suited for the second or third TE spot. That is why it is crazy when fans overreact to signings such as that one.

SS Laser
03-28-2013, 05:22 PM
I think this pick makes so much sense. Cap wise it will work very well. By the time Eifert is ready for a payday Miller will be done or stay for cheap. Also Miller may come back and not be as good as he once was. Good to have his replacement now. Ben seems to do better when the TE plays well. He is the BPA at his positon at 17. Is there any other position that can be said for? No need to reach for a WR. Keep picking in the 3 or 4 and get a good enough one or it could work out like Wallace an be much better then his draft pick. Plus it should make Ben happy to have another weapon. Plus Eifert should have no problem in camp being the #1 TE with Miller out and #2 when he returns. Cut Speath when Miller is healthy or drop another player to the practice squad. Paulson should be ok on special teams to stick as the #3. Just seems to fit the steelers perfect right now.

Which is better on paper? Would it be better to pick rd 1 TE and 3rd/4rd WR or 1st rd WR and 3rd/4th TE? I think we have enough TE's that are 3rd or 4th types. I guess the same could be said for WR. But there are more questions for the draftable WR in the 1st then TE I think.

thor75
03-28-2013, 05:28 PM
I think this pick makes so much sense. Cap wise it will work very well. By the time Eifert is ready for a payday Miller will be done or stay for cheap. Also Miller may come back and not be as good as he once was. Good to have his replacement now. Ben seems to do better when the TE plays well. He is the BPA at his positon at 17. Is there any other position that can be said for? No need to reach for a WR. Keep picking in the 3 or 4 and get a good enough one or it could work out like Wallace an be much better then his draft pick. Plus it should make Ben happy to have another weapon. Plus Eifert should have no problem in camp being the #1 TE with Miller out and #2 when he returns. Cut Speath when Miller is healthy or drop another player to the practice squad. Paulson should be ok on special teams to stick as the #3. Just seems to fit the steelers perfect right now.

Which is better on paper? Would it be better to pick rd 1 TE and 3rd/4rd WR or 1st rd WR and 3rd/4th TE? I think we have enough TE's that are 3rd or 4th types. I guess the same could be said for WR. But there are more questions for the draftable WR in the 1st then TE I think.

Good point on the financials. Eifert and Ertz are both low risk imo. But both are mid to late first round picks by many. If I had to go with a sure fire WR it would be Quinton Patton but again he seems like a late first rounder, early second. Depends where Colbert thinks he can get the value if he decides to remain put or trade down.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-28-2013, 05:30 PM
...which was never said about Matt Jones...

by people posting, it absolutely was... just as it's being said with Eifert

supersteeler
03-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Some fans have other positions in mind for round one and there is nothing wrong with that, but for me and only my opinion, Eifert is the playmaker we need on this offense.
If there I would hate to pass on him unless someone can convince me a better playmaker could be there at another position. We have to find an edge somewhere on offense, getting a good back or WR gives us more tools but I want that edge to be able to compete with the better teams.

thor75
03-28-2013, 07:02 PM
I would be very happy if we got Eifert in round one, but I can't say the same for Jones. I think Eifert is more of a sure thing for overall impact. I'm not saying he's going to be the second coming of Witten. Maybe some are but there's no denying he has what it takes to perform at a high level in the pros for a long time. I can't pinpoint anything with Jones but I don't like him for whatever reason. (Just using him, since he's in your mock). The recent draft history may make me leary of certain players, but I feel no hesitation with Eifert. Nor do I with Desmond Trufant who I have in my mock. If Jones comes out and kills it, cool, I'm wrong. Pitts. hasn't taken an OLB in the first for a reason and they know better than I do. Maybe this year they do. I, more than anything, just want the 1st rd pick to be killer.

Shawn
03-29-2013, 01:40 AM

personally...I think Ertz looks like the more natural TE.

Shawn
03-29-2013, 01:43 AM
Good point on the financials. Eifert and Ertz are both low risk imo. But both are mid to late first round picks by many. If I had to go with a sure fire WR it would be Quinton Patton but again he seems like a late first rounder, early second. Depends where Colbert thinks he can get the value if he decides to remain put or trade down.

the only sure fire player that will likely be left at 17 is going to be an OG...and I don't mean an original gangsta.

supersteeler
03-29-2013, 07:48 AM

Good analysis Laser, plus I'm tired of the Steelers marching down the field coming away with 3's we need players to make plays in the redzone and end zone. Miller was that type of player last season adding a player like Tyler would cushion the loss of Wallace. Then if we are successful in signing Bradshaw he too could be another weapon in the red zone with his pass catching skills.

Oviedo
03-29-2013, 08:19 AM

Completely on target. Eifert makes sense on so many levels. Watching NFL Network last night some thought he may go to Tampa at #13 before we even have a chance to pick him.

feltdizz
03-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Completely on target. Eifert makes sense on so many levels. Watching NFL Network last night some thought he may go to Tampa at #13 before we even have a chance to pick him.

Ertz in the second... Eifert isn't the second coming of Mark Bavarro and Grandkowski like people are making him out to be. Sure he is good but he isn't head and shoulders above Ertz. Stanford used their TE's as WR's and IMO it makes more sense to take him in the second. Eifert is probably a little better high pointing the ball but Ertz is no slouch and his hands are just as good.

http://youtu.be/8OPC5Iy-NJo

feltdizz
03-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Eifert's highlights

http://youtu.be/mqJRd3mN01w

blacknblue80s
03-29-2013, 10:14 AM
I would be OK with either TE, but IMO, Ertz in the 2nd makes more sense. Eifert is supposed to be a more complete player in that he blocks well etc. Ertz is more of a receiving TE. With Heath coming back at some point Ertz would be a perfect compliment to our offense.

NorthCoast
03-29-2013, 10:34 AM
If they are truly equal, I take Ertz. The tiebreaker?.... gotta have a lot of smarts to go to Stanford.

supersteeler
03-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Eifert's highlights

http://youtu.be/mqJRd3mN01w

I like the way he gets up there to snag those high throws, he sure would be a nice sight to see doing this on a regular basis at Heinz field.
If we didn't draft Eifert I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Ertz in round two as we could use all the help we can get on the offensive side of the ball.

Oviedo
03-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Ertz in the second... Eifert isn't the second coming of Mark Bavarro and Grandkowski like people are making him out to be. Sure he is good but he isn't head and shoulders above Ertz. Stanford used their TE's as WR's and IMO it makes more sense to take him in the second. Eifert is probably a little better high pointing the ball but Ertz is no slouch and his hands are just as good.

http://youtu.be/8OPC5Iy-NJo

I don't think Ertz makes it past the first ten picks in Round 2 which means he is gone before we can pick.

It is also because Ertz was used more like a WR in Stanford's offense that I prefer Eifert.

SS Laser
03-29-2013, 09:49 PM
There are a few mocks I looked at last night that had both TE's going in the first. Ertz going to san fran. Do mock drafts matter no of course not. But I could see hairball taking Ertz to have 2 power house TE's. Same as I have no problem with the Steelers doing. But I also see other possible picks in rd 1. I just like the TE pick the best right now. One thing we do not have much info on is the bad round and personal stuff the teams look at also for all the players. We only get to hear about the really "bad" boys.

Slapstick
03-30-2013, 09:05 AM
If they are truly equal, I take Ertz. The tiebreaker?.... gotta have a lot of smarts to go to Stanford.

Notre Dame also has high academic standards....

Chadman
03-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Ok, Chadman watched both sets of 'highlights'. Question for all Eifert/Ertz protagonists- if ou want a tall WR, why not draft one instead of a TE. Chadman only asks this because, FO both players, their highlight reel plays all come when they are either play h- back or are split out and playing WR- particularly in Eifert's case. Neither of these guys is going to make anyone forget th TE play of Heth Miller, who I equally useful in the running game.

If ou just want a guy that can highpoint a ball in the air, draft Justin Hunter and be done with it.

Chadman
03-30-2013, 09:33 PM
As for the TE's in this years class, both Jordan Reed and Mychel Rivera look capable of giving similar play to the top 2 TE's without the 1st round draft grade.

Chadman
03-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Actually- would be interested to see if the Steelers show any interest in former Pitt Panther Mike Shanahan- probably will go undrafted, but if they could stash him for a year on PS, he might become something down the line. Moves well for a 240lb guy and is a former basketball player.

supersteeler
03-30-2013, 11:06 PM
Ok, Chadman watched both sets of 'highlights'. Question for all Eifert/Ertz protagonists- if ou want a tall WR, why not draft one instead of a TE. Chadman only asks this because, FO both players, their highlight reel plays all come when they are either play h- back or are split out and playing WR- particularly in Eifert's case. Neither of these guys is going to make anyone forget th TE play of Heth Miller, who I equally useful in the running game.

If ou just want a guy that can highpoint a ball in the air, draft Justin Hunter and be done with it.

It's not just about highpoint a ball in the air, it' about consistency something Eifert has catching the ball anywhere. I'm not sure Hunter or any of the other receivers have consistency in that regard.
bTW, why should we settle for second fiddle when he's the best TE in the draft.

His production or talent isn't the issue, some fans just don't want a TE in round one but remember we drafted Heath in that same round.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-31-2013, 12:10 AM
heath was picked 31st.

I'm not convinced eifert is worth 1:17. This offense could use some explosiveness. Eifert doesn't bring that, while a prospect like cordarelle patterson does and could very well excel in haleys offense that gets the ball into the hands of the WR quickly.

it won't be the end of the world if we don't wind up with eifert as it seems some here believe.

supersteeler
03-31-2013, 08:18 AM
heath was picked 31st.

I'm not convinced eifert is worth 1:17. This offense could use some explosiveness. Eifert doesn't bring that, while a prospect like cordarelle patterson does and could very well excel in haleys offense that gets the ball into the hands of the WR quickly.

it won't be the end of the world if we don't wind up with eifert as it seems some here believe.

No it won't be the end of the world if we pass on Eifert, but he would fit in Haley's offense just as much as a WR. Heath was second in receptions last season and second in scoring, like Eifert you could depend on him to make that catch to move the chains. Just because someone is fast doesn't make him an all world receiver, catching the ball and good route running supercedes speed, if you can't be consistent in those area's what good is the speed?

Patterson most likely will be picked before we select and as I said in the past the Steelers most likely won't pick Eifert anyway so no worries for those who prefer another position. Personally I would rather have a top CB in round one and hope a player like Eifert would drop to round two which won't happen, he might get picked before we select so it won't matter much.

Looking at our offense, I believe Heath Miller was the most consistent player since he's been here on two fronts, reliable pass catcher and scoring. I would think having two Heath Miller type players could be a benefit to our offense, now if there is a WR out there who can make that critical catch and score I'm not opposed to that either, consistency matters in my book.

Btw, A Trufant or Rhodes at CB would be an appealing pick to most Steelers fans, think we could have common ground with a pick like that?

Oviedo
03-31-2013, 08:54 AM
No it won't be the end of the world if we pass on Eifert, but he would fit in Haley's offense just as much as a WR. Heath was second in receptions last season and second in scoring, like Eifert you could depend on him to make that catch to move the chains. Just because someone is fast doesn't make him an all world receiver, catching the ball and good route running supercedes speed, if you can't be consistent in those area's what good is the speed?

Patterson most likely will be picked before we select and as I said in the past the Steelers most likely won't pick Eifert anyway so no worries for those who prefer another position. Personally I would rather have a top CB in round one and hope a player like Eifert would drop to round two which won't happen, he might get picked before we select so it won't matter much.

Looking at our offense, I believe Heath Miller was the most consistent player since he's been here on two fronts, reliable pass catcher and scoring. I would think having two Heath Miller type players could be a benefit to our offense, now if there is a WR out there who can make that critical catch and score I'm not opposed to that either, consistency matters in my book.

Btw, A Trufant or Rhodes at CB would be an appealing pick to most Steelers fans, think we could have common ground with a pick like that?

Plus Eifert would be more of a weapon in the Red Zone which is what everyone complains about this offense lacking the most in. Down close like that he would be a better option than another speedy, run after the catch WR.

I fully endorse picking up Pitt's Shanahan as a undrafted FA. There is something there that we could build on.

Chadman
03-31-2013, 10:19 AM
There was an argument put forward about drafting a 1st round NT & why, given that Hampton played less snaps than the #3 CB last season, it would be a bad investment of a 1st round pick.

How many catches were made by the #2 TE last season under Haley?

Does that justify a 1st round selection?

It's funny that posters are now believing that Haley is a big user of 2 TE's. Haley also incorporates a FB. Arians NEVER used a FB, and just about ALWAYS used 2 TE's, yet there was very rarely a call out for the Steelers to draft a TE while Arians was here. Haley's use of a 2nd TE is vastly over stated.

Funny.

Chadman
03-31-2013, 10:23 AM
It's not just about highpoint a ball in the air, it' about consistency something Eifert has catching the ball anywhere. I'm not sure Hunter or any of the other receivers have consistency in that regard.
bTW, why should we settle for second fiddle when he's the best TE in the draft.

His production or talent isn't the issue, some fans just don't want a TE in round one but remember we drafted Heath in that same round.

Would have no trouble drafting a TE if the Steelers used a base 2 TE set.

But they don't. Haley uses a FB, something most posters screamed for while Arians was here. Drafting a 1st round TE to get used sparingly seems an unwise investment.

One argument in favour of drafting Eifert is that he'd be a danger in the End Zone. So, as Chadman mentioned- if you just want a WR that can high point a ball (in the end zone), why not just draft Justin Hunter in Round 2. Here's betting the #3 WR for the Steelers has more catches, and more targets, than the #2 TE.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-31-2013, 10:32 AM
I would love hunter in round 2, but I doubt he makes it that far. Everything I have read suggests his stock is rising.

supersteeler
03-31-2013, 10:56 AM
There was an argument put forward about drafting a 1st round NT & why, given that Hampton played less snaps than the #3 CB last season, it would be a bad investment of a 1st round pick.

How many catches were made by the #2 TE last season under Haley?
Does that justify a 1st round selection?

It's funny that posters are now believing that Haley is a big user of 2 TE's. Haley also incorporates a FB. Arians NEVER used a FB, and just about ALWAYS used 2 TE's, yet there was very rarely a call out for the Steelers to draft a TE while Arians was here. Haley's use of a 2nd TE is vastly over stated.

Funny.

Not many when you have a Paulson as your 2nd.TE. Of course your not going to see many catches if you don't have the weapon. Arians didn't use the TE in his offense much except for blocking, with Haley we seen Heath have one of his best years as a Steeler check it out.

Chadman
03-31-2013, 11:24 AM
Not many when you have a Paulson as your 2nd.TE. Of course your not going to see many catches if you don't have the weapon. Arians didn't use the TE in his offense much except for blocking, with Haley we seen Heath have one of his best years as a Steeler check it out.

People sell Paulsen short- possibly because he was a 7th round pick last year.

Paulsen 40 Yard- 4.62 20 Yard- 2.69 10 Yard- 1.68
Eifert 40 Yard- 4.65 20 Yard- 2.69 10 Yard- 1.65

Paulson Bench- 21 Reps
Eifert Bench- 22 Reps

Paulson Vertical- 33"
Eifert Vertical- 35.5"

Paulson Broad Jump- 9'05"
Eifert Broad Jump- 9'11"

Paulson 20 Yard Shuttle- 4.25
Eifert 20 Yard Shuttle- 4.32

Paulson 3 Cone- 7.09
Eifert 3 Cone- 6.92

Paulson's Last College Year Production- 30 Catches, 428 yards, 6 TD's
Eifert's Last College Year Production- 50 catches, 685 yards, 4 TD's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RAZASJumA

Reckon Paulson will be just fine, to be honest.

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2013, 02:14 PM
I would love hunter in round 2, but I doubt he makes it that far. Everything I have read suggests his stock is rising.

I have seen quite a few mocks recently that have Hunter in the latter part of round 1.

thor75
03-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Haley has adjusted his offense to the skills available. If the draft plays out in a way that Eifert is BPA at 17 then I would be perfectly OK with the sure-handed Cotchery as our #3 if another WR is not drafted (slim). Then maybe Haley adjusts the offense to include more 2 TE sets. Just another view.

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Haley has adjusted his offense to the skills available.

Haley can't adjust anything.

don't you know that Haley is totally unqualified and is just a yinzer ex-golf coach who only got the job because of who his Daddy is? :roll:

thor75
03-31-2013, 02:54 PM

don't you know that Haley is totally unqualified and is just a yinzer ex-golf coach who only got the job because of who his Daddy is? :roll:

Oh yeah forgot! lol! Also that his OVERALL #1 goal for the offense is to run up the time of possession so our defense can have a high ranking. Grassy knoll gettin' crowded.

supersteeler
03-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Mel Kiper on Tyler Eifert:

"Mike Wallace might be exiting, but in Eifert the Steelers add a different kind of matchup headache for defenses. Eifert has the speed to stretch the seam and also develop routes to the edges, and can't be effectively covered by anybody. He's too tall for corners and safeties, too fast for linebackers."

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________

If he's there @ 17 he might be the *BPA, and contribute early to the Steelers offense.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-31-2013, 08:57 PM
we get it.

you want eifert.

Siggy00
03-31-2013, 09:25 PM

What are his qualifications? Almost every NFL job he's ever gotten is due to knowing the right people.

Don't ignore the facts children.

DEAL in them.

papillon
03-31-2013, 11:45 PM
What are his qualifications? Almost every NFL job he's ever gotten is due to knowing the right people.

Don't ignore the facts children.

DEAL in them.

Haley has worked in a scouting department, he's been a WR coach for a few teams, he's been an offensive coordinator and a head coach in the NFL. Evidently, more football people than the Steelers believe he can get the job done. He may have received his start because of his father just like many other people that get jobs in their chosen field. I'm not sure who he knew at the Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys or Arizona Cardinals and he managed to interview well enough to get hired by those teams. He's qualified to do the job IMO, what he probably doesn't do which irks you to no end is give Ben the ball and tell him to throw it 50 times a game from a 3WR, 1TE, 1RB set.

Pappy

Siggy00
03-31-2013, 11:50 PM
I'm not sure who he knew at the Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys or Arizona Cardinals and he managed to interview well enough to get hired by those teams

Parcells was in Dallas.

I THINK he had no connections to the Bears.

He and Whiz were assistants together on the Jets staff in 2000.

Like I said, a guy with connections, nothing else.

What irks me about Haley is he'd rather kiss Art's ass and appease him, instead of worrying about winning.

papillon
04-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Parcells was in Dallas.

I THINK he had no connections to the Bears.

He and Whiz were assistants together on the Jets staff in 2000.

Like I said, a guy with connections, nothing else.

What irks me about Haley is he'd rather kiss Art's ass and appease him, instead of worrying about winning.

Every assistant coach in the league is hired because they worked with a coach in the past or were recommended for the job by some one who has worked the individual. You make it sound like Haley is the only assistant coach or coach to ever be hired by a team because he knew a coach, director of player personnel or worked with a coach prior. If they didn't do that, when new coaches are hired they would simply keep all the assistants in place and start coaching, that never happens. The first thing a new coach does is fire the existing staff and then go hire his friends, colleagues and former coaches with whom he has worked.

Haley is qualified, that doesn't mean he won't fail, but he is qualified.

Pappy

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 12:12 AM
What makes him qualified? Do tell.

Funny how no one can answer that.

papillon
04-01-2013, 12:22 AM

I don't know what you considered qualified, but lets try this again.

Haley has worked in a scouting department, he's been a WR coach for a few teams, he's been an offensive coordinator and a head coach in the NFL. Evidently, more football people than the Steelers believe he can get the job done. He may have received his start because of his father just like many other people that get jobs in their chosen field. I'm not sure who he knew at the Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys or Arizona Cardinals and he managed to interview well enough to get hired by those teams.

You say he isn't qualified, that's fine I can't change that, teams in the NFL say you're wrong and for some reason I believe their (NFL teams) qualifications to hire coaches outweigh your qualifications to hire coaches or determine if a coach is qualified.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 12:42 AM

from Wikipedia:

In 2007, Haley joined Ken Whisenhunt's coaching staff for the Arizona Cardinals as the team's offensive coordinator. Haley did not start calling plays for the Cardinals until late in the season. The Cardinals finished in the top half of the NFL in multiple offensive categories.

Under Haley’s guidance, the Cardinals offense in 2008 was one of the league’s most innovative and explosive units. Arizona tied for third in the league in scoring, registering a franchise-record 427 points (26.7 ppg). The Cardinals were fourth in total offense, averaging 365.8 yards per game. Arizona was second in the league in passing offense (292.1 ypg) and ranked sixth in the NFL with 20.5 first downs per game.

The Cardinals finished the season with a 9-7 record and a playoff berth after winning the NFC West Division title. The Cardinals went on to appear in their first Super Bowl in franchise history after the team scored more than 30 points in each of its three playoff games.

In Super Bowl XLIII, the Cardinals offense played the NFL's top-ranked Pittsburgh Steelers defense.Trailing 17–7 at halftime, the Cardinals offense fought back after a 13-point deficit and led the game 23–20 with just over two minutes remaining. The Cardinals lost 27–23 in the game's final seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Haley

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 12:49 AM
That still doesn't explain what qualifies him for the job.

You guys try to tell me it's not because of his Dad but yet you can't offer anything to dispute it.

Yeah, his AZ offense had three WRs with 1000 yards playing in the worst division in the NFC (6-0 in their trash division, 3-7 vs. the rest of the NFL).

Why not run that offense in Pittsburgh then? Especially with the talent at WR this team had?

Because he's nothing but Art's puppet, a yes-man, a spineless coward.

And this team suffers as a result of it.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 01:04 AM
That still doesn't explain what qualifies him for the job.

You guys try to tell me it's not because of his Dad but yet you can't offer anything to dispute it.

okay, let me try it one more time:

Under Haley’s guidance, the Cardinals offense in 2008 was one of the league’s most innovative and explosive units. Arizona tied for third in the league in scoring, registering a franchise-record 427 points (26.7 ppg). The Cardinals were fourth in total offense, averaging 365.8 yards per game. Arizona was second in the league in passing offense (292.1 ypg) and ranked sixth in the NFL with 20.5 first downs per game.

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 01:08 AM
What qualified him for the job? You are listing stats. Which has NOTHING to do with Haley's qualifications.

6-0 in the worst division in football.

5-8 vs. the rest of the NFL.

He's a freaking genius!

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 01:37 AM
What qualified him for the job? You are listing stats. Which has NOTHING to do with Haley's qualifications.

6-0 in the worst division in football.

5-8 vs. the rest of the NFL.

He's a freaking genius!

while the 2008 Arizona Cardinals offense under Todd Haley ranked 3rd out of 32 NFL teams in points scored, the defense ranked 28th out of 32 teams in points allowed.

do you wanna blame Haley for that too?

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 01:48 AM
while the 2008 Arizona Cardinals offense under Todd Haley ranked 3rd out of 32 NFL teams in points scored, the defense ranked 28th out of 32 teams in points allowed.

do you wanna play Haley for that too?

You want to give give Haley credit for scoring 35 points against the Jets that year and racking up 468 yards of offense, in a game that they TRAILED 34-0 at the half?

They were trailing the Giants 34-19 and scored 10 points in garbage time.

Got humiliated by the Pats, scored 7 points that week.

Fell behind 31-7 to the Eagles before they added 13 more points in trash time that week.

Trailed Minnesota 28-0 at the half.

See a pattern here?

Easy to pile up points and yards when defenses back off with a big lead.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 01:58 AM
You want to give give Haley credit for scoring 35 points against the Jets that year and racking up 468 yards of offense, in a game that they TRAILED 34-0 at the half?

They were trailing the Giants 34-19 and scored 10 points in garbage time.

Got humiliated by the Pats, scored 7 points that week.

Fell behind 31-7 to the Eagles before they added 13 more points in trash time that week.

Trailed Minnesota 28-0 at the half.

See a pattern here?

Easy to pile up points and yards when defenses back off with a big lead.

you can spin it any way you want to, the fact remains that Haley's offense over the course of a 16-game season ranked 3rd in the NFL in scoring.

you asked what qualifications Haley had as an OC and I provided that for you. just because you don't like the answer doesn't change the fact that Haley's offense in 2008 ranked 3rd in the NFL in scoring.

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 02:14 AM
you asked what qualifications Haley had as an OC and I provided that for you. just because you don't like the answer doesn't change the fact that Haley's offense in 2008 ranked 3rd in the NFL in scoring.

That's not a qualification. They didn't hire him in 2007 because his offense was 3rd in scoring in 2008.

Learn what the word means first, then talk.

you can spin it any way you want to, the fact remains that Haley's offense over the course of a 16-game season ranked 3rd in the NFL in scoring.

Not spinning anything. I could care less what Haley's team did in garbage time. Apparently you do.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 02:19 AM
That's not a qualification. They didn't hire him in 2007 because his offense was 3rd in scoring in 2008.

we're discussing what qualifications Haley had in order for the Steelers to hire him besides who his Daddy is, so his 2008 performance as OC for the Cardinals is very relevant.

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 02:23 AM
we're discussing what qualifications Haley had in order for the Steelers to hire him besides who his Daddy is, so his 2008 performance as OC for the Cardinals is very relevant.

No, YOU are trying to convince yourself he was hired for his Cardinals work.

He wasn't.

He was hired because of who his Daddy is, and according to the LA Times, he was partially hired because a NEW ENGLAND PATRIOT QB was yelled at by his coach. Which has NOTHING TO DO with Haley's "work".

What kind of idiot would hire a coach based on the actions of ANOTHER TEAM?

Oh I know, the idiot sperm lotto winner from Pittsburgh.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 02:33 AM
No, YOU are trying to convince yourself he was hired for his Cardinals work.

He wasn't.

He was hired because of who his Daddy is

I'm not trying to convince myself of anything.

you dared anyone to present evidence of what qualifications Todd Haley had in order to be hired by the Steelers and I presented you with the fact that Todd Haley's offense in 2008 with the Arizona Cardinals while he was the OC there ranked 3rd in the NFL in scoring.

it's just that you are so obtuse and convinced that Haley was only hired because of who his Daddy is that you are not willing to accept facts as they are presented to you because they don't fit into your belief system.

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 02:36 AM
Noticed you ignored the part about Brady.

No doubt Haley was hired because of Daddy. When he replaces Tomlin after Daddy calls in another favor people won't be able to deny it anymore.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 02:38 AM
Noticed you ignored the part about Brady.

I ignored it because it's pure speculation on your part and really has no relevance to our discussion.

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 02:42 AM
I ignored it because it's pure speculation on your part and really has no relevance to our discussion.

So the LA Times reporting it is speculation, but you claiming Haley was hired because of his Cards work is not?

LOL

The Haley's are already trying to angle for Tomlin's job. Every interview Daddy gives he makes sure to tell everyone how happy sonny boy is working for the team he grew up rooting for and how he used to be a ball boy for this team.

And sucker Art will fall for it, hook, line, and sinker.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 02:48 AM
So the LA Times reporting it is speculation

link please...

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 02:54 AM
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/17/sports/la-sp-steelers-roethlisberger-haley-20120817

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 02:59 AM
So the LA Times reporting it is speculation, but you claiming Haley was hired because of his Cards work is not?

please don't put words into my mouth, I didn't claim Haley was hired because of his Cards work. unlike you, I'm not privy to the Steelers closed door decision-making process.

I just provided you with one of his qualifications, which you dared anyone to come up with. Big difference...

supersteeler
04-01-2013, 09:00 AM
In fairness to Haley one might want to consider other aspects of the team in order to make a valid judgement of his coaching abilities.
Usually when a team incorporates a new system, it takes time for the players to adapt to it and learn all the plays in order to have success.
We had some issues on defense at the beginning last year, plus Ryan Clark couldn't play against Denver, when you combined that with a new system its tough to get consistency.

Our first 5 games of the season resulted in a 2-3 record. Then the defense picked up and the players on offense had a better grasp of the new system resulting in a four game win streak. Prior to that win streak the most yards by an individual back was 47 yrds, then when we had more balance in passing and rushing the wins started to pile up.
In one of those wins Redman had 147 yrds. on the ground followed by Dwyer with back to back games 107 and 102 in the other two games. During that span Redman had an injury after his 147 rushing game, then Dwyer got nicked up after his performance leaving the Steelers without a healthy running back.
During that span Ben was having one of his best seasons especially in third down conversions, the Steelers were like the third team in the NFL in TOP. Going into that fourth game of the win streak we didn't have a healthy back, we still won the game in OT but lossed Ben for the next three games then the bottom fell out losing 5 of our last seven.

When your O-line is losing starters to injury, backs not healthy and Ben out, its tough to get consistency replacing starters with subs who haven't had enough reps in the new system, so it's bound to have a negative effect on the team.
Lets try to hold off on the judgement of Haley or any coaches and see how they respond to the adversity this team faced last season as we enter the 2013 season.

We still have the draft coming up and the possibility of picking up Bradshaw later when he's able to work out. We don't know how the new season will unfold but I think we will have a hungry steeler team willing to put in the extra work to get better, coaches and players alike.
As fans none of us like the way 2012 ended and I know the players and coaches feel likewise, 500 seasons and no playoffs isn't what we are accustomed to. The goal for the Steelers is make the playoffs and try to contend for a champioship that's the standard the team goes by each and every year, so lets see how our teams responds in 2013.

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Isn't the standard the standard?

The 2-3 record had nothing to do with offense. It was the 4th quarter defense that was responsible for it.

Just like I said it would be when LeBeau scapegoat Arians was no longer here to take the blame for him anymore.

Ben always played well on 3rd down.

The offense under Arians was always among the best in TOP as well.

When your O-line is losing starters to injury, backs not healthy and Ben out, its tough to get consistency replacing starters with subs who haven't had enough reps in the new system, so it's bound to have a negative effect on the team.

Arians dealt with the same issues for years.

Funny how that never got mentioned for him though.

All because he dared to build around a HOF QB and didn't care for tired, outdated "Steeler traditions" like having a fullback on the field.

supersteeler
04-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Arians offense wasn't any better than Haley's unless you figure from the 20 to the 20.
What I look at is points scored, under Arians last season we were 12-4 finished with 325 points scored which is an average of 20.3 points a game.
Under Haley we scored 336 points with an average of 21.0 points a game a tad better than Arians actually.
Either way the offense struggled in the red zone with two different OC's, that is the offense's problem scoring once inside the red zone or lack of TD's and settle for 3's.

Heath Miller scored 6 TD's last season, Pope two, and for the short time he was here and used Plax scored 1. This is why I like Eifert not only between the 20's but a good end zone target. What good is an offense marching down the field only to settle for 3's or coming away with no points at all? Until the Steelers find ways to improve their red zone and end zone production, no matter who the OC is won't matter much.
Finally, it come down to the players executing the plays .
Our receiving corps was pretty good under Arians less drops and good YAC, but still that didn't translate into scoring enough once in the red zone. The defense can't play a perfect game everytime but what I seen they usually kept it close enough to win if the offense made a few plays in those 3 point losses.

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 12:40 PM
What I look at is points scored, under Arians last season we were 12-4 finished with 325 points scored which is an average of 20.3 points a game.
Under Haley we scored 336 points with an average of 21.0 points a game a tad better than Arians actually.

Where did the DEFENSE rank in turnovers forced?

When you want to run the ball, chew up clock? Unless you get a defense that gives you short fields? You aren't going to score a ton of points.

supersteeler
04-01-2013, 12:57 PM
I've seen times where the steelers had 8o yard drives and score, and times they had short field position and failed to take advantage of it.
Our defense kept most games close enough to win, its about damn time the offense quit relying on the defense and rely on themselves to win the game.

Oviedo
04-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Arians offense wasn't any better than Haley's unless you figure from the 20 to the 20.
Either way the offense struggled in the red zone with two different OC's, that is the offense's problem scoring once inside the red zone or lack of TD's and settle for 3's.

Heath Miller scored 6 TD's last season, Pope two, and for the short time he was here and used Plax scored 1. This is why I like Eifert not only between the 20's but a good end zone target. What good is an offense marching down the field only to settle for 3's or coming away with no points at all? Until the Steelers find ways to improve their red zone and end zone production, no matter who the OC is won't matter much.
Finally, it come down to the players executing the plays .
Our receiving corps was pretty good under Arians less drops and good YAC, but still that didn't translate into scoring enough once in the red zone. The defense can't play a perfect game everytime but what I seen they usually kept it close enough to win if the offense made a few plays in those 3 point losses.

Eifert is the answer for the offense. We need our Round 1 pick on the field helping the team win not standing on the sideline waiting his turn.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Eifert is the answer for the offense. We need our Round 1 pick on the field helping the team win not standing on the sideline waiting his turn.

what the hell are you trying to do Ovi?

get the thread back onto its original topic?

Oviedo
04-01-2013, 04:30 PM
what the hell are you trying to do Ovi?

get the thread back onto its original topic?

I'm an optimist at heart! Plus I have certain people on "Ignore" which allows me to focus on what is important.

ikestops85
04-01-2013, 04:53 PM
So the LA Times reporting it is speculation

Yes it is and they even say so.

The Steelers surely noticed last December when New England offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien tore into Tom Brady on the sideline after the Patriots quarterback was picked off by Washington in the end zone.

See the words "surely noticed" in bold. That tells me and every other person who read the article that they have no idea whether the Steelers noticed or even cared about what happens in New England.

That is pure speculation.

steelz09
04-01-2013, 05:16 PM
I just don't see Eifert being the pick.

supersteeler
04-01-2013, 06:21 PM
I just don't see Eifert being the pick.

Your not alone, most mocks I seen have other players and positions in their mocks. IMHO in order to get immediate help the best chance is to go offense, if we're thinking future then defense may be the right decision.
In our most recent drafts in round one not one defensive player was able to start or have extended playing time their first year. On offense several players had at least extended playing time year one, including Santonio Holmes, Mendy,Pouncey and if It wasn't for injury DeCastro would of started too.
The way I see it Ben needs more help on the offense, it doesn't have to be Tyler Eifert but I thought he would be more NFL ready than most other positions on offense and capable of starting.

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 06:56 PM
I've seen times where the steelers had 8o yard drives and score, and times they had short field position and failed to take advantage of it.
Our defense kept most games close enough to win, its about damn time the offense quit relying on the defense and rely on themselves to win the game.

Aren't allowed. Have to run the ball. Keep the defense rested.

Chadman
04-01-2013, 07:00 PM
The Steelers asked an aging Defense to play at a high level for too long. They've started to slow over the lest 3 seasons.

The Offense, on the other hand, has been revitalised with young players across the field.

Time to do the same for the Defense.

A NT, ILB, OLB, CB & 2 Safeties make more sense than a back-up TE on a team with 5 TE's currently on the books.

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Starting slow has nothing to do with their age.

It's the coach running it.

Same problems that have existed for YEARS since his return in 2004.

Second most 4th quarter/game winning drives given up since 2007.

They haven't been "old" since Tomlin's first day people.

Look at the facts, not excuses.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 07:22 PM
The Steelers asked an aging Defense to play at a high level for too long. They've started to slow over the lest 3 seasons.

The Offense, on the other hand, has been revitalised with young players across the field.

A NT, ILB, OLB, CB & 2 Safeties make more sense than a back-up TE on a team with 5 TE's currently on the books.

I completely agree Chadman.

and congratulations btw, I noticed Schiavone won a race! :Clap

supersteeler
04-01-2013, 08:50 PM

They already tried to address defense with Hood, Heyward, Worlids, Allen, Carter, and others, outside of Allen how much production did we see.
Yeah the defense needs to be addressed but why does it have to be round one? We need playmakers and when you say 5 TE 's on the roster outside of Miller who gets in the end zone?

How many of your defensive picks help us right now? I'm still waiting for Hood and Heyward and they were 1st round picks.

Chadman
04-01-2013, 09:21 PM
I completely agree Chadman.

and congratulations btw, I noticed Schiavone won a race! :Clap

:D <- This was Chadman's face as Schiavone won her first...

Chadman
04-01-2013, 09:48 PM
They already tried to address defense with Hood, Heyward, Worlids, Allen, Carter, and others, outside of Allen how much production did we see.
Yeah the defense needs to be addressed but why does it have to be round one? We need playmakers and when you say 5 TE 's on the roster outside of Miller who gets in the end zone?

How many of your defensive picks help us right now? I'm still waiting for Hood and Heyward and they were 1st round picks.

Let's be fair- Hood has started for going on 3 seasons for a Defense that ranks in the Top 5 annually. Worilds has sat behind Harrison & Woodley for 3 years- hardly an indication of Worilds play as more of an indication of the skills of those in front of him. Heyward is what? A year from starting? Keisel is a UFA next season, so Heyward will step in as a starter there too. Why even mention Carter- a 6th round 'hope' pick that was always entrenched 4 deep? Drafting 6th round players is hardly preparing for the future- they are hit-and-miss products.

The difference between the Offensive players getting on the field & Defensive players getting on the field isn't ability. It's opportunity. The Steelers OL was SO bad for years, that rookie & 1st year players were outplaying veterans. The WR's- Brown, Wallace & Sanders- would not be starting over Ward & Holmes if both were here in their 'primes', but opportunity (Holmes being traded away, Ward being too old to produce) opened the door.

Thing is, Hampton is now gone. Harrison is now gone. Foote & Keisel are not far from gone. Polamalu & Clark are on the end of their careers. Taylor doesn't have 5 years left.

The time to prepare for post-Polamalu/Clark/Foote/Keisel/Taylor is not AFTER they have gone, but before.

fordfixer
04-01-2013, 10:33 PM
:D <- This was Chadman's face as Schiavone won her first...
Congrats:Beer

SteelerOfDeVille
04-02-2013, 01:11 AM

team lost Casey, Harrison, Lewis and Foote is aging, along with the Safties; 3rd rounder Spence may never play again.... it's not as if they haven't tried with the offense as well - the oline is pretty revamped, they got (and lost) mendy and wallace over the last few years, as well as the bust Sweed... high picks have happened on both sides of the ball - it's just that they were more significant on defense this year, and therefore, it needs to be replenished...

supersteeler
04-02-2013, 07:21 AM
team lost Casey, Harrison, Lewis and Foote is aging, along with the Safties; 3rd rounder Spence may never play again.... it's not as if they haven't tried with the offense as well - the oline is pretty revamped, they got (and lost) mendy and wallace over the last few years, as well as the bust Sweed... high picks have happened on both sides of the ball - it's just that they were more significant on defense this year, and therefore, it needs to be replenished...

I never said we don't have to replenish the defense, I'm well aware of an aging Clark,Troy, Foote and Taylor. We have plenty of rounds to address defense so why does it have to be addressed in round one when that player won't play much his first year?
I like Eifert because he's NFL ready and could at least compete for a starting position with Miller out and at worse get playing time. It doesn't have to be Eifert though, what if a really good Tackle is there when we pick do we pass him up just because we want to replenish defense?

We already have a top rated defense so do we put more into that unit to maintain that top rated level, while the offense struggles to score points? What is wrong in trying to improve the the weakest part of the team, did anyone check to see where our offense is ranked in redzone scoring?
In my eyes Ben is the most important player the Steelers have in reaching the playoffs or a shot to be a Super Bowl contender. I would think you try and improve the players around him protecting your most valued investment, but also getting him the weapons to succeed.

Our defense has played well over the years but we can't expect them to hold leads every single game while the offense continues to struggle, that's a lot of pressure put on that unit. It's time the Steelers offense rely on themselves to close out ball games but in order to do that we'll need the right weapons.
Look at our average points scored per game the last few years, it's simply not enough to win the close games when you need them the most.

If a player on offense is our BPA@17, do we pick defense instead because we want to replenish that unit?

Oviedo
04-02-2013, 07:48 AM

The problem on defense is complicated by the fact that we have a Def Coord who can't or won't modify "his system" to facilitate getting younger talent on the field sooner and developing. The fact we have hung onto these veterans past their "sell by" dates is because LeBeau is more comfortable having a player who knows the 14th variation of a play versus giving a potentially more talented younger player on the field with their superior athletic ability.

It's not like we have had a dominant defense the past three season with decreasing sacks and INTs every year from a defense supposedly designed to create pressure and turnovers.

Chadman
04-02-2013, 09:47 AM
We already have a top rated defense so do we put more into that unit to maintain that top rated level, while the offense struggles to score points? What is wrong in trying to improve the the weakest part of the team, did anyone check to see where our offense is ranked in redzone scoring?

Don't want to rag on you, but this is a very short-sighted, "what happened last year" viewpoint. Fact is, during Tomlin's reign, we've seen a complete revamp of the OL, mostly featuring 2 1st & 2 2nd round picks selected by Tomlin, we've had a 1st round RB, 2 3rd round WR's & scored well on a lucky 6th rounder & 1 3rd round TE. These guys are NOW entering their best years. What will drafting another young Offensive player do, other than increase the amount of future money being spent on 1 side of the football field?

On Defense, we've had 2 1st round DE's, a 1st round ILB & 2 2nd round OLB's coupled with 1 3rd round CB. No NT. No Safety. And an opening at the 2nd ILB spot.

Teams don't draft for 'this year'. They draft for next year, the year after that. The Offense doesn't need MORE young players of high quality- it needs the ones it has already to develop. The Defense, on the other hand, has significantly older, important starters entering the final stages of their careers. They might not start in 2013, but without these high Defensive draft picks coming in now, the Steelers will be scrambling to fill holes all over the Defense sooner than you'd like to think.

supersteeler
04-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Here is another fans view point ( NOT MINE) but similar.

I find it absolutely baffling that a knowledgeable Steeler fan can look at our current team and not say a resounding “Offense!”. For the last two years we have ranked 20th in the NFL on offense. And we’re losing our #1 WR, our #1 RB, and our #1 TE. What the hell, guys? Have you looked at our opening day roster? Brown, Sanders, Dwyer, Paulsen? Yeah, there’s some red zone threats right there.

A lot of fans have been begging for a tall receiver with strong hands who can go up and get the ball in traffic even when covered and hang on after contact. News flash people… That’s a TE. The great thing about Eifert (for those of you who have not watched him) is he can ALSO split out as a WR. This means when Miller comes back we now have a dual red zone receiving threat. But that’s not all. With Eifert you also get blocking help on the edges which: (a) protects our franchise quarterback. (b) assists out young OT’s while they develop/improve. © opens more lanes for our sorry ass running game.

I’m sorry but anyone who doesn’t view Eifert as a high value pick either has never watched him play, or doesn’t understand scoring in today’s NFL. TE’s are receivers now, people. Under Haley’s new offense, Heath was having the best season of his career until Ben got hurt.

Meanwhile over the last two years we’ve ranked 1st and 2nd in the NFL on defense for two straight years and fans are in pure panic mode.

steelz09
04-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Here is another fans view point ( NOT MINE) but similar.

I find it absolutely baffling that a knowledgeable Steeler fan can look at our current team and not say a resounding “Offense!”. For the last two years we have ranked 20th in the NFL on offense. And we’re losing our #1 WR, our #1 RB, and our #1 TE. What the hell, guys? Have you looked at our opening day roster? Brown, Sanders, Dwyer, Paulsen? Yeah, there’s some red zone threats right there.

A lot of fans have been begging for a tall receiver with strong hands who can go up and get the ball in traffic even when covered and hang on after contact. News flash people… That’s a TE. The great thing about Eifert (for those of you who have not watched him) is he can ALSO split out as a WR. This means when Miller comes back we now have a dual red zone receiving threat. But that’s not all. With Eifert you also get blocking help on the edges which: (a) protects our franchise quarterback. (b) assists out young OT’s while they develop/improve. © opens more lanes for our sorry ass running game.

I’m sorry but anyone who doesn’t view Eifert as a high value pick either has never watched him play, or doesn’t understand scoring in today’s NFL. TE’s are receivers now, people. Under Haley’s new offense, Heath was having the best season of his career until Ben got hurt.

Meanwhile over the last two years we’ve ranked 1st and 2nd in the NFL on defense for two straight years and fans are in pure panic mode.

Heath and Paulson will be the receiving tight ends.

I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Eifert is the pick. If we go offense in Round 1, it should be DeAndre Hopkins.

thor75
04-02-2013, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=supersteeler;557051]

What is wrong in trying to improve the the weakest part of the team, did anyone check to see where our offense is ranked in redzone scoring?
QUOTE]

Red zone efficiency for scoring TD's

'12 -55% (12th in nfl)
'11 - 50%
'10 - 52%
'09 - 48%
'08 - 55%
'07 - 59%
'06 - 50%

I'm actually pretty wide open on 1st round picks for offense except RB and C. If Jonathan Cooper fell to us or a top WR, or TE I would be fine with those picks. I don't think one of the three top tackles falls to 17 though. It doesn't have to be said we can always improve our red zone efficiency. Playcalling as well as execution could be improved imo. If offense is picked #1 though, I would go defense for the remaining majority of the draft if the board falls that way.

Sugar
04-02-2013, 01:03 PM

I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Eifert is the pick. If we go offense in Round 1, it should be DeAndre Hopkins.

When do you expect Heath back and ready to go?

supersteeler
04-02-2013, 02:16 PM

If Tyler isn't picked, I would have no problem with DeAndre Hopkins. He just might be the best WR in the class, good hands and pyhsical fighting for the ball against defenders. He's good in the short to intermediate routes something that might fit in well with Haley's system. At worse he could be our third receiver and get playing time his first year, and he's a red zone threat at least in college he was scoring 18 td's and around 1,400 yrds that's good production I like.

Thor,
Thanks for checking the red zone efficency.

Points Per Game average: 22nd. *
Yrds. Per game: 21st. *

Rush yrds. per game: 26th *

ikestops85
04-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks Chadman for putting it out there that we draft for the future ... not the upcoming year. I assumed this was common sense and didn't need to be stated but based on a number of posts I can see that isn't the case. If you want somebody to help immediately then sign a free agent. The overwhelming majority of draft picks take time to become productive players.

supersteeler, I agree wholeheartedly with your rationalization on picking a TE. I've been saying all along that if a primo pass rusher isn't available at #17 then either trade back for more picks or take the TE. I liked Ertz but I hadn't seen much of Eifert's play. It sounds like Eifert could be a very valuable guy for our franchise QB to utilize down the road.

Sugar
04-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks Chadman for putting it out there that we draft for the future ... not the upcoming year. I assumed this was common sense and didn't need to be stated but based on a number of posts I can see that isn't the case. If you want somebody to help immediately then sign a free agent. The overwhelming majority of draft picks take time to become productive players.

supersteeler, I agree wholeheartedly with your rationalization on picking a TE. I've been saying all along that if a primo pass rusher isn't available at #17 then either trade back for more picks or take the TE. I liked Ertz but I hadn't seen much of Eifert's play. It sounds like Eifert could be a very valuable guy for our franchise QB to utilize down the road.

I think one of the things that excites a lot of posters here about Eifert is that he's seen as both immediate help AND the future.

supersteeler
04-02-2013, 04:39 PM
I think one of the things that excites a lot of posters here about Eifert is that he's seen as both immediate help AND the future.

Word! :Clap

Oviedo
04-02-2013, 05:01 PM

A 100% YES to this!!!!!!! We can't get a Round 1 pick and watch them sit for two years. Our window with Ben is getting short.

supersteeler
04-03-2013, 08:19 AM
I think if we somehow end up drafting Tyler Eifert, the anti-Eifert pick will turn into a love fest when all is said and done.:tt2

steelz09
04-03-2013, 09:29 AM

A wide receiver like Patterson, Allen or Hopkins (my favorite WR of the bunch) would provide the same and is just as valuable and is more of a need.

Slapstick
04-03-2013, 09:30 AM
A wide receiver like Patterson, Allen or Hopkins (my favorite WR of the bunch) would provide the same and is just as valuable and is more of a need.

I disagree about WR being more of a need than TE...

steelz09
04-03-2013, 09:34 AM
The Steelers draft strategy is BPA at a position of need. TE is not a position of need. I'm hopeful Miller will be back sooner than what most people expect.... give him some deer antlers (jk). Paulson saw playing time as a rookie. Then, you have David and Will Johnson as well. Don't get me wrong, I think David Johnson sucks but for some reason Tomlin doesn't and DJ was a starter. The #'s don't add up especially when you have so many glaring holes on both offense and defense that need to be filled.

People think Lattimore is a luxory pick in rounds 3 or 4???? At least he is great value and RB is a huge need. Eifert in the 1st round is a true luxury pick and we don't have that luxury.

feltdizz
04-03-2013, 09:46 AM
I think if we somehow end up drafting Tyler Eifert, the anti-Eifert pick will turn into a love fest when all is said and done.:tt2

If we end up drafting Eifert half the Eifert fans will end up turning on him because he won't live up to the expectations.

Sugar
04-03-2013, 09:53 AM
The Steelers draft strategy is BPA at a position of need. TE is not a position of need. I'm hopeful Miller will be back sooner than what most people expect.... give him some deer antlers (jk). Paulson saw playing time as a rookie. Then, you have David and Will Johnson as well. Don't get me wrong, I think David Johnson sucks but for some reason Tomlin doesn't and DJ was a starter. The #'s don't add up especially when you have so many glaring holes on both offense and defense that need to be filled.

People think Lattimore is a luxory pick in rounds 3 or 4???? At least he is great value and RB is a huge need. Eifert in the 1st round is a true luxury pick and we don't have that luxury.

I guess we have different ideas of what a need is. I don't expect Heath back before the midway point of the season- if he's back sooner that's great but I still don't expect him the first few weeks. The TE's that you mentioned (aside from Heath) are not as good at their positions as the RB's or WR's that we would already have going in, IMO, especially if they end up picking up Bradshaw.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-03-2013, 10:02 AM
The way that the NFL is today, picking a TE has many benefits of drafting a WR. This is not a vote for or against taking Eifert, but drafting him would not mean that we are stuck with a backup who doesn't see the field once Miller returns.

thor75
04-03-2013, 12:37 PM
I think the Steelers put Miller on the same deal they did with DeCastro -8 week PUP if I remember correctly. Steelers will take a pass catching TE at some point. I think David Johnson is eventually cut just because of numbers if the rookie is on the same level.

supersteeler
04-03-2013, 06:50 PM
I think the Steelers put Miller on the same deal they did with DeCastro -8 week PUP if I remember correctly. Steelers will take a pass catching TE at some point. I think David Johnson is eventually cut just because of numbers if the rookie is on the same level.

The Steelers are hoping to know before April's draft what Heath Miller (knee surgery) can provide this season.Miller completely blew out his knee in Week 16, tearing his ACL, MCL and PCL. The Steelers should be preparing as if he'll start this season on PUP and consider it a bonus if he doesn't. Miller will be 31 in October and already lacked both long speed and lateral quickness. With only Matt Spaeth and David Paulson behind him on the depth chart, the Steelers could very well draft a tight end. Mar 27 - 12:10 PMSource: ESPN New York

I think he had the surgery at the end of December and from what I'm told it could take up to three months using crutches, let alone the start of rehab. Even after completing rehab it's going to take some time to get in playing shape.

They must of forgot we have David Johnson, maybe he doesn't count.

Chadman
04-03-2013, 06:59 PM
The Steelers are hoping to know before April's draft what Heath Miller (knee surgery) can provide this season.Miller completely blew out his knee in Week 16, tearing his ACL, MCL and PCL. The Steelers should be preparing as if he'll start this season on PUP and consider it a bonus if he doesn't. Miller will be 31 in October and already lacked both long speed and lateral quickness. With only Matt Spaeth and David Paulson behind him on the depth chart, the Steelers could very well draft a tight end. Mar 27 - 12:10 PMSource: ESPN New York

I think he had the surgery at the end of December and from what I'm told it could take up to three months using crutches, let alone the start of rehab. Even after completing rehab it's going to take some time to get in playing shape.

Also have Zach Pianalto & Jamie McCoy on the roster. Pianalto was brought in late last season & McCoy has been on the PS for a season.

supersteeler
04-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Also have Zach Pianalto & Jamie McCoy on the roster. Pianalto was brought in late last season & McCoy has been on the PS for a season.

I know Chad, just like we have KasHif Moore and Gilreath at WR.

Chadman
04-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Given the way the Steelers put Gilreath on the playing roster during the season last year, it wouldn't surprise Chadman if he is some shot of making the team.

From memory McCoy was one of the last cuts made- pretty sure they liked him as a TE/FB type.

SS Laser
04-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Some of you guys confuse me. Don't take Eifert in 1st rd. Paulson is good enough. Then it goes pick Jones in the first not sure if Worilds is good enough? Looks like the same thing to me. Then there will be guys that say Miller will be back. Ok he is 31 off a MAJOR knee injury. But others scream get rid of Taylor he is old an should have signed Lewis. Now there is no one on the roster who can replace him. I think you guys get the point.

I love to watch you guys go round in round. It is Funny! When it ends up a safety or wr some of you will cry. Then if it is OL most of you will explode.:p Draft in 22 days 21mins.:Beer Then you guys can fight over all the picks!

SteelerOfDeVille
04-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Some of you guys confuse me. Don't take Eifert in 1st rd. Paulson is good enough. Then it goes pick Jones in the first not sure if Worilds is good enough? Looks like the same thing to me. Then there will be guys that say Miller will be back. Ok he is 31 off a MAJOR knee injury. But others scream get rid of Taylor he is old an should have signed Lewis. Now there is no one on the roster who can replace him. I think you guys get the point.

I love to watch you guys go round in round. It is Funny! When it ends up a safety or wr some of you will cry. Then if it is OL most of you will explode.:p Draft in 22 days 21mins.:Beer Then you guys can fight over all the picks!
at this point, the only thing that WOULD drive me crazy at this point is Eifert. If you gave me a any of LB, NT, WR, S or RB, I'd have no complaints.. Even if they choose the guys i think are overrated (like Arthur Brown), I'd appreciate that they're shooting for the correct positions

supersteeler
04-03-2013, 08:12 PM
As we should realize the draft is unpredictable not only the pick but how that pick will turn out. Outside of that I wouldn't mind some crazy on draft day.:razz:

thor75
04-03-2013, 09:50 PM

I betcha the majority would agree that trading down in the first and acquiring more picks would make everyone happy. I seem to favor the players rated in the latter half of the first for some reason. WR would be the only position where we could miss out on a big time talent if we trade down imho.

Oviedo
04-04-2013, 07:57 AM

David Johnson DOESN'T count except as an oxygen consumer.

Oviedo
04-04-2013, 07:59 AM
I betcha the majority would agree that trading down in the first and acquiring more picks would make everyone happy. I seem to favor the players rated in the latter half of the first for some reason. WR would be the only position where we could miss out on a big time talent if we trade down imho.

Going down 5 to 10 spots to get more picks would be great. This might not be a bad year to trade out of round 1 all together to the top of Round 2 with lots of extra picks. We have no single position that we have to fill in Round 1. Lots of needs in lots of places.

That opportunity may present itself with the QBs moving up and down all over the place. If KC or Oakland don't grab QBs in Round 1 then they may want to jump back into the middle of Round 1 to get Geno Smith or Matt Barkley.

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Draft Prospects Who Would Fit Perfectly with Pittsburgh Steelers

BY MIKE BATISTA (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON APRIL 4, 2013

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/003/073/001/hi-res-6786592_crop_650x440.jpg?1365059541

Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert might be on the Steelers' radar in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

Year: Junior

Height: 6'6"

Weight: 250 pounds

The Steelers could look at tight ends in the draft. Heath Miller might not be ready to start the 2013 season after tearing two knee ligaments in the second-to-last game of the 2012 season.

NFL Draft Scout compares Tyler Eifert to Miller. The evidence supporting that shows why Eifert would be a good fit in Pittsburgh.

Like Miller, Eifert is a "soft-spoken guy," according to NFL Draft Scout.

Like Miller, Eifert led his team in receptions in 2012. He caught 50 passes for 685 yards and four touchdowns, following up a 2011 campaign in which he was the nation's top tight end with 63 catches for 803 yards and five touchdowns.

Like Miller, Eifert also is effective as a blocker, although it's not the strongest part of his game. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller gave Miller a 10 out of 20 grade for blocking in his B/R NFL 1,000 series.

Steelers tight ends David Paulson and Leonard Pope combined for 10 catches last year. The Steelers brought back Matt Spaeth to shore up their tight end unit in case Miller misses part of the 2013 season.

Eifert might be a reach at No. 17 and he'll probably be gone by the time the Steelers pick at No. 48 in the second round. So the only way Pittsburgh is likely to get him would be if the Steelers trade down in the first round or up in the second round.

NFL Draft Scout calls Eifert a "team-first guy who proudly wore the 'C' on his jersey."

The Steelers are always looking for that kind of leadership.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1586213-draft-prospects-who-would-fit-perfectly-with-pittsburgh-steelers/page/3

supersteeler
04-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks for posting the article hawaiian.

They called Miller " Money" when he was in college, just think of Eifert as money in the bank that the Steelers can cash in for the 2013 season.:p

NFL Draft Scout compares Tyler Eifert to Miller. The evidence supporting that shows why Eifert would be a good fit in Pittsburgh.

Like Miller, Eifert is a "soft-spoken guy," according to NFL Draft Scout.

Like Miller, Eifert led his team in receptions in 2012. He caught 50 passes for 685 yards and four touchdowns, following up a 2011 campaign in which he was the nation's top tight end with 63 catches for 803 yards and five touchdowns.

Like Miller, Eifert also is effective as a blocker, although it's not the strongest part of his game. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller gave Miller a 10 out of 20 grade for blocking in his B/R NFL 1,000 series.

Like Miller, Money!

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2013, 12:11 AM
please forgive me for not being that impressed by Eifert.

I only saw him play in 2 games this year, versus the Pitt Panthers he had 6 catches for 62 yards and 0 TDs and against Alabama Eifert caught 6 passes for 61 yards with 0 TDs.

feltdizz
04-05-2013, 09:01 AM
please forgive me for not being that impressed by Eifert.

I only saw him play in 2 games this year, versus the Pitt Panthers he had 6 catches for 62 yards and 0 TDs and against Alabama Eifert caught 6 passes for 61 yards with 0 TDs.

I watched ND a ton and he had some nice catches where he high pointed the ball but on here he has turned into a legend.

I'm pretty sure most people who speak highly of him haven't watched him that much. The kid is good but he isn't THAT good that he deserves 10 threads. I guess people are trying the Decastro method of constantly speaking him up in hopes of it coming true. Truth is... there are other TE's in this draft who can do the same thing in round 2 and 3.

It's funny seeing Kiper put Eifert at 17 in his latest draft mock. I watched the NFLN draft special last night and Kiper had Eifert and Ertz available in the 20's.

They also brought up a guy from San Diego State... Gavin Escobar
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/gavin-escobar?id=2540211

http://youtu.be/WgZm7M3PoO8

I bet the FO isn't even thinking about a TE with Paulson and Spaeth on the roster. However, if we did draft a TE I would prefer drafting one in the second or 3rd vs 1st round.

supersteeler
04-05-2013, 09:57 AM
I watched ND a ton and he had some nice catches where he high pointed the ball but on here he has turned into a legend.

I'm pretty sure most people who speak highly of him haven't watched him that much. The kid is good but he isn't THAT good that he deserves 10 threads. I guess people are trying the Decastro method of constantly speaking him up in hopes of it coming true. Truth is... there are other TE's in this draft who can do the same thing in round 2 and 3.

It's funny seeing Kiper put Eifert at 17 in his latest draft mock. I watched the NFLN draft special last night and Kiper had Eifert and Ertz available in the 20's.

They also brought up a guy from San Diego State... Gavin Escobar
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/gavin-escobar?id=2540211

http://youtu.be/WgZm7M3PoO8

I bet the FO isn't even thinking about a TE with Paulson and Spaeth on the roster. However, if we did draft a TE I would prefer drafting one in the second or 3rd vs 1st round.

There are pro's and cons with any draft prospect, ones opinion either way doesn't make a draft pick a sure thing no matter what position. I look at Tyler as a safe pick maybe not the popular pick but one who can help us immediately and be a good player for us in the future as well.
We could pick any player or postion and have different opinions as we seen on the posts here with other players besides Tyler Eifert.

thor75
04-05-2013, 10:56 AM
I see this draft for us having to target a skill position in the first. IMO they should look at CB, WR, or TE. Unless a stud like Jonathan Cooper from UNC falls that is. I see Jarvis Jones as a specialist who gets swallowed up during run plays and who is reported to hold weight room training in low regard. Everyone blasts Woodley due to his lack of being in shape. True, Jones and Woodley are two different body types and maybe the weight room issues are blown out of proportion idk. I didn't like Jones before his workouts so that has no bearing for me. So this is why I'm leaving him out of the mix.
I think one of the top CBs or TEs could be drafted if we trade down. I didn't think Eifert would get past the NY Giants before, but I see they acquired Myers who had 79 catches last year for Oakland. The rest of the teams after that appear to be pretty solid at TE. If the FO wanted to take the chance they could probably look to trade down to the mid 20s maybe even as low as 27 and still get Eifert and additional picks. I think the comparisons to Miller are fairly accurate - hard worker, great teammate, good hands. A good pick for the future as well.

I like Trufant at CB but every team can use good corners. Trading back would be more of a risk IF they are targeting him. The rest of the corners may be best valued in the early second. Milliner and Rhoades will be gone imo by 17. Allen is unproven as a starter and there's no one of starter quality behind him. They haven't targeted anyone in FA besides Gay who is best suited as nickel. A good pick for the future with Allen and possibly Trufant at CBs when Taylor is done.

WR seems pretty deep. If they're absolutely in love with someone at 17 they pull the trigger. But you never know, WR is so tricky sometimes they pan out and sometimes they don't. Steeler fans know this all too well. Im on the fence with WR. Seems like you can get a solid pick in any round nowadays. They do need a true #1 so the first 2 rounds would seem like the best bet.

Sugar
04-05-2013, 11:09 AM
I bet the FO isn't even thinking about a TE with Paulson and Spaeth on the roster.

Really?? Paulson and Spaeth?? That line made me choke a little on my smoothie.

feltdizz
04-05-2013, 11:10 AM
There are pro's and cons with any draft prospect, ones opinion either way doesn't make a draft pick a sure thing no matter what position. I look at Tyler as a safe pick maybe not the popular pick but one who can help us immediately and be a good player for us in the future as well.
We could pick any player or postion and have different opinions as we seen on the posts here with other players besides Tyler Eifert.

I think there are 2 or 3 TE's in this draft who are very close to Eifert in terms of talent. I would prefer picking a "safe" stud in round 1 and then getting a TE in a later round.

Eifert has turned into Gronk over night... I think it's fools gold.

feltdizz
04-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Really?? Paulson and Spaeth?? That line made me choke a little on my smoothie.

yes.. REALLY. They also have faith in guys named Gilbert and Adams on the OL :shock:

Life as a Steeler fan is much healthier when you deal with reality.

Sugar
04-05-2013, 11:33 AM
yes.. REALLY. They also have faith in guys named Gilbert and Adams on the OL :shock:

Life as a Steeler fan is much healthier when you deal with reality.

You mean the Gilbert and Adams that are probably better at their positions than Spaeth and Paulson? Yes, reality is a great thing. :cool:

steelz09
04-05-2013, 11:41 AM
I think there are 2 or 3 TE's in this draft who are very close to Eifert in terms of talent. I would prefer picking a "safe" stud in round 1 and then getting a TE in a later round.

Eifert has turned into Gronk over night... I think it's fools gold.

Add in the fact that ND (in general) has been over the past several years one of the most overhyped college football programs in the country.

supersteeler
04-05-2013, 02:44 PM
When scouts evaluate prospects the college they play for isn't the criteria on top of the list, rather the production of the player and where he fits in with the team. When the Rams drafted the bus, they drafted him for his talent and we seen how that worked out, glad we were able make the trade with them aquiring Jerome even if Notre Dame is overhyped.

As I stated there are other prospects the Steelers may have on their short list in the early rounds, Tyler might not be on that list at all, but If we do draft him all the anti-Eifert people will fall in love with him and be glad.:)

feltdizz
04-05-2013, 03:11 PM
You mean the Gilbert and Adams that are probably better at their positions than Spaeth and Paulson? Yes, reality is a great thing. :cool:

Gilbert sucks IMO... and Adams is average but I have faith he will get better.

I noticed you used "probably" lol. Yes, reality IS a great thing.

feltdizz
04-05-2013, 03:17 PM
When scouts evaluate prospects the college they play for isn't the criteria on top of the list, rather the production of the player and where he fits in with the team. When the Rams drafted the bus, they drafted him for his talent and we seen how that worked out, glad we were able make the trade with them aquiring Jerome even if Notre Dame is overhyped.

As I stated there are other prospects the Steelers may have on their short list in the early rounds, Tyler might not be on that list at all, but If we do draft him all the anti-Eifert people will fall in love with him and be glad.:)

I don't think anyone is anti-Eifert to the point they will be disappointed if we draft him. Like I said earlier.. I think the most disappointment will come from Eifert fans who have unrealistic expectations.

As far as ND is concerned... yes, the name means something. You get to see them every week on NBC, the names are said over and over and as we have recently seen.. most of the draft picks from ND are over drafted and don't live up to the hype. Clausen, Quinn.. and just about every WR the last 4 years (hell, even I thought a few would be better NFL prospects) end up being average.

ND players look really good when you put on highlights.. but then you realize most of the highlights are against Navy, BYU, Michigan State and Michigan... and all these schools have been mediocre for the last few years.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-05-2013, 03:25 PM

Spaeth was actually ranked the best pass blocking TE in the NFL last year....Gilbert and Adams were not ranked best at anything in the NFL last year....or maybe Gilbert was ranked 'best and destroying his teammates knee and ankle ligaments by getting blown up and falling on them....

Sugar
04-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Gilbert sucks IMO... and Adams is average but I have faith he will get better.

I noticed you used "probably" lol. Yes, reality IS a great thing.

Well, you can see what I think of Paulson and Spaeth...

supersteeler
04-06-2013, 09:24 AM
The Steelers scored 27 TD's last season, 16 of those were scored by Wallace and Miller leaving 11 TD's scored by the rest of the team. Anyway you slice it that production has to be made up somewhere. If we had problems scoring enough points with Wallace and Miller here what do you expect it's going to be without them?

Miller will be back but when, and will he have the same production he had last season recovering from his injury? I don't think anyone can answer that with certainty, even when he recovers it takes time to get back in game shape. We seen that happen with Harrison and Troy, it took them time to get back to form.

The fact is this offense needs help, drafting Eifert won't be a cure all but IMO he could help our offense. No matter who we draft, if the Steelers don't fix their inability to put enough points on the board it's going to be a long season and most likely out of the playoffs for a second year in a row.