PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina's Marcus Lattimore applauded by scouts at pro day

hawaiiansteel
03-27-2013, 04:36 PM
I would love to see the Steelers take a chance on this guy. more hard-working RBs like Lattimore and less out of shape slugs like Dwyer would be good for our team.

South Carolina's Marcus Lattimore applauded by scouts at pro day

Robert Klemko, USA TODAY Sports March 27, 2013

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/03/27/ap-south-carolina-pro-day-football-4_3_r541_c540.jpg?729ef1a5e3c69f5da0197e57e2bd3dd3 fdfcd35f

Marcus Lattimore ran football drills indoors Wednesday at the University of South Carolina for representatives of all 32 NFL teams, his agent, Michael Perrett, told USA TODAY Sports. And when he was done showing off the progress in his surgically repaired knee, the room burst into applause.

"It was crazy," he told USA TODAY Sports when reacting to the ovation. "I did not expect that at all. Pretty much every scout came up to me and said that was amazing and inspiring."

Lattimore, who has been training and rehabilitating in Gulf Breeze, Fla., with orthopedic surgeon James Andrews, says he has visits scheduled with the New England Patriots and St. Louis Rams prior to next month's draft.

He plans on being ready to play by midseason, if not Week 1.

"The goal is to be ready," Lattimore says. "You never know what will happen. I'll probably have to slow down a little bit. No doubt if not the beginning of the season, (then) the middle of the season."

Lattimore performed 15 minutes of agility drills on a track-like surface Wednesday before catching passes at the stadium from current and former South Carolina quarterbacks during the school's pro day. Lattimore's camp originally wasn't sure if he needed to work out to improve or solidify his stock, but the running back insisted on it. He is projected as a mid-round choice despite having both his sophomore and junior seasons ended by knee injuries.

"I just wanted to do something before the draft, and I felt like this was good because I was just doing my rehab," he said. "My agent thought it was a good idea. He didn't feel it mattered if we did, but I wanted to do it."

In a February interview with USA TODAY Sports, Lattimore said he wanted his comeback to inspire athletes who face similar challenges. Andrews said Lattimore had cut the expected recovery time in half.

"I want to be an inspiration," Lattimore said. "To let people know that with hard work, and when you trust in God, you can come back from anything and do anything."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2013/03/27/marcus-lattimore-south-carolina-pro-day-applause-ovation/2025501/

Siggy00
03-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Trade down, get an extra 3rd and pick him.

calmkiller
03-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Two seasons ended by knee injuries in a row? I know he is good, but he needs to be on the field to be good. I say we take someone else.

Dee Dub
03-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Two seasons ended by knee injuries in a row? I know he is good, but he needs to be on the field to be good. I say we take someone else.

Agreed.

And anyone who thinks one can come back this fast on his own form these type of injuries with out the assistance of...well you know....is crazy.

Prediction: in the not so distant future we are going to hear stories about certain football players and the use of PED's.

Sugar
03-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Agreed.

And anyone who thinks one can come back this fast on his own form these type of injuries with out the assistance of...well you know....is crazy.

Prediction: in the not so distant future we are going to hear stories about certain football players and the use of PED's.

I wish they would just legalize PED's already.

supersteeler
03-27-2013, 05:57 PM
I would prefer Le'veon Bell.

squidkid
03-27-2013, 06:14 PM
we cant roll the dice with injury riddled players, especially this year.

Shawn
03-27-2013, 06:30 PM
I would prefer Le'veon Bell.

Agreed. Bell>Lattimore. Lattimore is a long strider that reminds me of Robert Smith, but without Smiths speed. Bell has better balance, power and functional speed. I believe bell is going to be special.

hawaiiansteel
03-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Mike Mayock who is a tremendous talent evaluator has Lattimore rated as the #5 RB overall, ahead of Le'Veon Bell.

Shawn
03-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Mike Mayock who is a tremendous talent evaluator has Lattimore rated as the #5 RB overall, ahead of Le'Veon Bell.

Well Shawn who I believe might be the most talented talent evaluator says Bell is the number 2 RB in this draft. So, stick that in your pipe and smoke it. ;)

Big Ern McCracken
03-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Signing A. Bradshaw will allow the steelers to address some of their bigger needs in the first few rounds. If Belle is off the board, I'd like to see us give Lattimore a shot in the mid rounds.

hawaiiansteel
03-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Well Shawn who I believe might be the most talented talent evaluator says Bell is the number 2 RB in this draft. So, stick that in your pipe and smoke it. ;)

if Bell played for Ohio State instead of Michigan State I might take your word for it...:D

steelz09
03-27-2013, 07:54 PM
If you haven't read this story yet, you should:http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap1000000140463/article/marcus-lattimore-plans-to-prove-he-can-play-in-nfl-this-year?icampaign=ATL_newsdriver

jj28west
03-27-2013, 08:17 PM
What a great great story regardless of how he fits with the Steel

jj28west
03-27-2013, 08:22 PM
If I remember correctly Gore blew both his knees @ Miami and has had a solid career. Then there is the AP story. Maybe Spence could heal from the nerve damage. Fingers crossed..

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-28-2013, 11:39 AM
I know there is many Lattimore fans in here. The only close comparison of injury is McGahee and I don't believe he dislocate his knee. McGahee missed his entire rookie season rehabbing. Now, McGahee came back to have a very productive career. Hopefully the same happens for Lattimore. No matter what Lattimore does leading up to the draft as far as physical activity...Don't forget one important thing. Contact. There is no measure of how thebody will respond under contact & collision. That is what the mystery is. He could run in the 4.4's with 1.5 splits and jump 38" but the football question can not be answered. What happens when that knee has to take on contact direct or when he is in a pile and the collisions are coming at his legs from all sides. That won't be answered until he straps them up. The last two years that question was asked of his knees on the field...They didn't answer correctly. It is a great story, he seems to be a great person with a big heart, but that isn't enough to protect him. I hope for the best for this kid.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-28-2013, 12:09 PM
no way... take Eifert!

steelz09
03-28-2013, 12:16 PM
I know there is many Lattimore fans in here. The only close comparison of injury is McGahee and I don't believe he dislocate his knee. McGahee missed his entire rookie season rehabbing. Now, McGahee came back to have a very productive career. Hopefully the same happens for Lattimore. No matter what Lattimore does leading up to the draft as far as physical activity...Don't forget one important thing. Contact. There is no measure of how thebody will respond under contact & collision. That is what the mystery is. He could run in the 4.4's with 1.5 splits and jump 38" but the football question can not be answered. What happens when that knee has to take on contact direct or when he is in a pile and the collisions are coming at his legs from all sides. That won't be answered until he straps them up. The last two years that question was asked of his knees on the field...They didn't answer correctly. It is a great story, he seems to be a great person with a big heart, but that isn't enough to protect him. I hope for the best for this kid.

His first ACL injury to his right knee (i think) doesn't bother me. He came back from that last year and he was the same Lattimore. It's his left knee, the gruesome injury most of us witnessed or saw replays of that concerns me. The only other concern I have is whether Lattimore is "prone" to these injuries or were they (especially the 2nd one) a freak incident.

A+ character
A+ leader
A+ talent

BIG QUESTION: Is he prone to these type of injuries.

I thought we orginally could get him in the 5th and then it was the 4th. For some strange reason, I think some team (hunch: 49ers or Pats) might pick him in the 3rd.

I don't think we have that luxory because of the enormous amount of glaring holes we have on this team. I would still draft him in the 4th though.

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2013, 12:43 PM
I've been mocking him to us with an early day 3 pick in every mock draft I've made this offseason. That may be wishful thinking on my part at this point (but I think I'll leave him there in the 4th in my mock for the time being because of wishful thinking). I think he's a special kid and a special talent (in a week crop of RB's year, a healthy Lattimore blows the doors off Lacy, Bell, Ball, Bernard, etc.). Even if we get literally zero production out of the kid as a rookie, I would still have no problem taking him with a day two pick. When weighing risk/reward, I much prefer motivated character guys with injury history to talented guys with history of off-the-field issues.

papillon
03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
His first ACL injury to his right knee (i think) doesn't bother me. He came back from that last year and he was the same Lattimore. It's his left knee, the gruesome injury most of us witnessed or saw replays of that concerns me. The only other concern I have is whether Lattimore is "prone" to these injuries or were they (especially the 2nd one) a freak incident.

A+ character
A+ leader
A+ talent

BIG QUESTION: Is he prone to these type of injuries.

I thought we orginally could get him in the 5th and then it was the 4th. For some strange reason, I think some team (hunch: 49ers or Pats) might pick him in the 3rd.

I don't think we have that luxory because of the enormous amount of glaring holes we have on this team. I would still draft him in the 4th though.

Wouldn't one of those glaring holes be running back?

Dwyer needs a blow too often for my liking
None of the others really took the bull by the horns and made the job his.

Ben is a much better quarterback when the Steelers can run the ball effectively. I doubt any team worries about the Steelers' "stable" of backs as they sit right now.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-28-2013, 02:12 PM
So many are ok with waiting on Lattimore...So here is your question. Knowing the Steelers situation...Do you really think the Steelers will use 2 out of their first 4 picks on RB??? So the 4th rounder on Lattimore isn't the solution for 2013...Where is that solution if they don't sign a Bradshaw?

Lattimore is a "Luxury" pick for a team that can wait. He may be a high risk / high reward player. Steelers...At this time...Don't have any "luxuries" heading into this draft.

If the Steelers want to sign Bradshaw and take Lattimore from the 5th on back...I'm ok with that. The percentage of draft choices that make an NFL team in rounds 5-7 makes "the reward" worth the risk. Anywhere inside the top 4 rounds is way to risky. Can't use hindsight on this one with his injuries. If this story has a happy ending, the word "Lucky" will be used when referring to where he was drafted...Not the word "Brilliant."

feltdizz
03-28-2013, 03:00 PM
we can afford to wait a year on Lattimore... I know some think our window is closing but I don't see a SB in our future next year. Sorry, I think we are in rebuilding mode.

Sugar
03-28-2013, 04:11 PM
we can afford to wait a year on Lattimore... I know some think our window is closing but I don't see a SB in our future next year. Sorry, I think we are in rebuilding mode.

The question, of course, is does Kevin Colbert think that?

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 03:26 PM
2013 April Fools NFL Mock Draft: Picks 17-32

Last update: Sunday, April 1, 2013. Major changes in all 1 rounds.

1(17). Pittsburgh Steelers: Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

Many projected that Marcus Lattimore would go higher than expected, but no one thought he'd be chosen in the middle of the first round. Head coach Mike Tomlin acknowledged the severity of Lattimore's knee injury, but said that his new runner would take the field in September.

"I'm fully aware that Marcus had a knee, but I look at that as a positive rather than a negative," said Tomlin with a crazy look in his eye. "Having Lattimore hop around on one leg will give us an advantage over other teams."

How so? Tomlin explained.

"This new helmet rule - a team that can have its running backs use their helmet will have a distinct advantage," Tomlin continued. "Without the use of one leg, Lattimore won't have a choice but to use his helmet, and I'm sure Roger Goodell and the officials will understand if Marcus has to use his helmet to compensate."

Goodell was not available for comment about this, as he was hiding under his desk in fear of Jaqen H'ghar.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013aprilfools_1.php

SteelerOfDeVille
04-02-2013, 12:57 AM
I don't think they need to wait a year on Lattimore... I think he'd play this season... he'll just be BETTER in a year... he's ahead of schedule per docs..

BufordTJustice
04-02-2013, 01:00 AM
If he's there in round 3 I take him.

It's not like they haven't drafted worse in the same round with no chance of this high of a payoff.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Lattimore hasn't tested his knee with contact and he won't until someone drafts him and he gets on the field. I think the doctors will advise him AFTER he is drafted to not go through physical contact in camp and put off seeing the field. That would make him a PUP canidate and have up to 9 weeks. No Thanks inside the Top 4 rounds. If they sign Bradshaw...Then they may have the luxury. The guy is a talent when & if ever again healthy. Since this is football, I'm not giving anyone a check in the box of "catastrophic knee injury healed" based upon how fast he is coming along and what he looks like in shorts. I would treat Lattimore the way I would treat Spence for 2013 when it comes to the draft...."Not counting on him". Anywhere from 5th on back presents great value IF he ever returns to his old self.

From what I hear they are plucking at Michaeal's brain. He could be the RB with the most upside in this draft. Don't be surprised to see Bradshaw AND/OR Michaels in a Steelers uniform next year with only on familiar face in the backfield...Which would be Dwyer. Redman should have tripped Dwyer & beat him to the desk to sign his tender.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Christine Michael also has an injury history (broken leg in 2010 and torn ACL in 2011), plus he has character questions, and is limited in his ability to catch passes out of the backfield and pass block. No thanks.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Christine Michael also has an injury history (broken leg in 2010 and torn ACL in 2011), plus he has character questions, and is limited in his ability to catch passes out of the backfield and pass block. No thanks.
I know his medical background. He played in 12 games in '09, 9 games in '10, 10 games in '11, & 11 games in '12. After his ACL in '11 he split time with Malena and scored 12 TDS on the ground. Whats more important is Michael finished the season on the football field and completed all his workouts. He has gone through the whole process. There are no questions if he may ever be able to play at a high level like Lattimore because of his health. He will be a player who can come into camp & compete.

Kirby Wilson worked him hard as his proday and he is coming in for a visit. Character questions never stopped the Steelers from drafting talent. It can't be injury issues on Michael you don't like because you have a mock filled with injury issue prospects in Jones, Alford, Lattimore, & Renfree. He has flaws in his game, I would agree more than Lattimore. Both their flaws are coachable but they both posess the traits to succeed. A healthy Lattimore is a late 1st early second and Michael's flaws drop him where he is now. Lattimore has an uphill battle to see the field in camp and he may never return to who he was. If I'm spending a pick inside the top 4 rounds on a RB depleted team with no starter penciled in...I'm making sure the rookie is at 100% for mini camp...And not 2014 mini camp.

supersteeler
04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=JUST-PLAIN-NASTY;556566]So many are ok with waiting on Lattimore...So here is your question. Knowing the Steelers situation...Do you really think the Steelers will use 2 out of their first 4 picks on RB??? So the 4th rounder on Lattimore isn't the solution for 2013...Where is that solution if they don't sign a Bradshaw?

I believe the Steelers will draft a RB even if we sign Bradshaw, but no we wouldn't be using 2 picks in the first four to get one. I would draft one in the third or fourth. We don't know for sure if we would sign Ahmad and if we did could he play a full season without getting injured again? As for RB's my preference would be Le'veon Bell.

ikestops85
04-02-2013, 05:24 PM
So many are ok with waiting on Lattimore...So here is your question. Knowing the Steelers situation...Do you really think the Steelers will use 2 out of their first 4 picks on RB??? So the 4th rounder on Lattimore isn't the solution for 2013...Where is that solution if they don't sign a Bradshaw?

Lattimore is a "Luxury" pick for a team that can wait. He may be a high risk / high reward player. Steelers...At this time...Don't have any "luxuries" heading into this draft.

If the Steelers want to sign Bradshaw and take Lattimore from the 5th on back...I'm ok with that. The percentage of draft choices that make an NFL team in rounds 5-7 makes "the reward" worth the risk. Anywhere inside the top 4 rounds is way to risky. Can't use hindsight on this one with his injuries. If this story has a happy ending, the word "Lucky" will be used when referring to where he was drafted...Not the word "Brilliant."

Who is advocating taking 2 running backs out of our first 4 picks?

SteelerOfDeVille
04-02-2013, 05:57 PM

Nasty must be an Eifert supporter... seems none of them have any reason skills this year...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Nasty must be an Eifert supporter... seems none of them have any reason skills this year...

Lacking reason skills are the ones taking Jones at #17 and Lattimore in the 4th.

Do you see Eifert below? I wouldn't take Jones or Eifert at #17 but I would take Eifert Before Jones.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-02-2013, 09:16 PM
If they don't sign Bradshaw drafting Latimore in the 4th isn't the solution to RB for 2013. Where is that hole plugged?

thor75
04-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Lacking reason skills are the ones taking Jones at #17 and Lattimore in the 4th.

Do you see Eifert below? I wouldn't take Jones or Eifert at #17 but I would take Eifert Before Jones.

I agree with this. I thought I was the only one who wouldn't like the Jones pick.

Back to Lattimore, what's the difference in his injury to Willis McGahee? McGahee was drafted in the first, so why is Lattimore projected by many to fall to the 4th? Is it because he's had two knee injuries? Just curious.

I would have to think Colbert's mindset going into this draft, more than other drafts, would be to avoid any risks in the first four rounds. If Lattimore fell to the fifth, yea why not. I really think Bradshaw is the hinge point on whether they pull the trigger on Lattimore in the fourth round. If Bradshaw is signed, I think KC feels a lot safer knowing he can gamble on this guy. Personally, I would not draft him. Why take the risk when you a lot more holes in a competitive division.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-03-2013, 01:52 PM
I agree with this. I thought I was the only one who wouldn't like the Jones pick. Back to Lattimore, what's the difference in his injury to Willis McGahee? McGahee was drafted in the first, so why is Lattimore projected by many to fall to the 4th? Is it because he's had two knee injuries? Just curious. I would have to think Colbert's mindset going into this draft, more than other drafts, would be to avoid any risks in the first four rounds. If Lattimore fell to the fifth, yea why not. I really think Bradshaw is the hinge point on whether they pull the trigger on Lattimore in the fourth round. If Bradshaw is signed, I think KC feels a lot safer knowing he can gamble on this guy. Personally, I would not draft him. Why take the risk when you a lot more holes in a competitive division.

Injury wise it is about the closest comparison you could get. Lattimore was a little more severe in the sense that he compeletly dislocated his knee along with the dreaded ACL, PCL, and MCL tears. The concern on Lattimore is he is small framed & build in his trunk. When you put 230 pounds on that and grind on broken knees the longevity at the next level is in doubt. Lattimore could have tested and ran 4.4's & jumped 40" but the the answers to all the question will not come until he puts the pads on and takes on contact. No drill can duplicate the durress put on joints when on the move and weight distribution changes by force and change of motion. Will that knee be tight after all that stretching & displacement of the joint. It will be a miracle for him to return to form and we can all wish him well and pray for him. The prayers will have to continue though because you would believe the risk of recurrence of knee injuries would be higher given his skill positI
on & body type.

McGahee looked to be a better NFL prospect. He didn't put up several years of stats like Lattimore but his '02 year was monsterous over 1,7oo yards & 28 TDS on an undefeated team until the bowl game. He was arguably a Top 5 pick. Still the first RB taken even over Larry Johnson @ #27. McGahee was an Adrian Peterson type... Speed, Power, & wiggle. The question is did the injury really set him back? He has had a productive NFL career but he wasn'tthe impact player he was projected to be. IMO the injury really impacted his NFL production.

steelz09
04-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Injury wise it is about the closest comparison you could get. Lattimore was a little more severe in the sense that he compeletly dislocated his knee along with the dreaded ACL, PCL, and MCL tears. The concern on Lattimore is he is small framed & build in his trunk. When you put 230 pounds on that and grind on broken knees the longevity at the next level is in doubt. Lattimore could have tested and ran 4.4's & jumped 40" but the the answers to all the question will not come until he puts the pads on and takes on contact. No drill can duplicate the durress put on joints when on the move and weight distribution changes by force and change of motion. Will that knee be tight after all that stretching & displacement of the joint. It will be a miracle for him to return to form and we can all wish him well and pray for him. The prayers will have to continue though because you would believe the risk of recurrence of knee injuries would be higher given his skill positI
on & body type.

McGahee looked to be a better NFL prospect. He didn't put up several years of stats like Lattimore but his '02 year was monsterous over 1,7oo yards & 28 TDS on an undefeated team until the bowl game. He was arguably a Top 5 pick. Still the first RB taken even over Larry Johnson @ #27. McGahee was an Adrian Peterson type... Speed, Power, & wiggle. The question is did the injury really set him back? He has had a productive NFL career but he wasn'tthe impact player he was projected to be. IMO the injury really impacted his NFL production.

That is nothing but pure speculation on just about all accounts... everyhing from the Lattimore frame to McGahee and AP comparison.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-03-2013, 08:50 PM
That is nothing but pure speculation on just about all accounts... everyhing from the Lattimore frame to McGahee and AP comparison.
Speculation because you don't agree with it? If I was a blind man I could say it may be pure soeculation. Look at Lattimores hips and thighs. Look at his calfs. Watch his rehab workouts. He is lean from the waist down and 230 pounds. Speculation? Maybe Educated guess. Just as one could say His body can't absorb his running style and that could contribute to his injuries.

Magahees's '02 tape ranks up there with some of the best. The comparison to AP's impact on the game is pretty accurate before his injury. He was a game changer in college and IMO was never the same player after his injury.

Shoe
04-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Lattimore seems more Marcus Dupree than Willis McGahee/Frank Gore. He seems like a charity case to a certain extent.

Oviedo
04-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Lattimore seems more Marcus Dupree than Willis McGahee/Frank Gore. He seems like a charity case to a certain extent.

I would agree with that. IMO Lattimore's best playing days are in college. There are alot of other mid-round RBs who you don't have to take a "risk" on so need to look at Lattimore.

feltdizz
04-04-2013, 09:01 AM

When healthy... Lattimore was a beast. He isn't a charity case.. just a good RB who has 2 knee injuries on his resume. We have no idea how he will perform once healthy. One thing is certain... in the NFL players get THE best rehab money can buy. I think he will have a decent NFL career.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-04-2013, 09:56 AM
When healthy... Lattimore was a beast. He isn't a charity case.. just a good RB who has 2 knee injuries on his resume. We have no idea how he will perform once healthy. One thing is certain... in the NFL players get THE best rehab money can buy. I think he will have a decent NFL career.

No disputing that. Lattimore was a talent when he was on the field. No matter where he goes I hope he beats the odds and has a great injury free career. The kid has went through alot and worked hard to follow his dream. Put his heart in any Steeler.