PDA

View Full Version : Harrison's Agent Would Welcome Call from Steelers

phillyesq
03-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Per Schefter:

Adam SchefterVerified account ‏@AdamSchefter 13m (http://www.planetsteelers.com/AdamSchefter/status/316254567769714688) James Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, said he has not closed the door on his client returning to PITT and would welcome a call from Steelers.

There is also a story from PFT.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/25/harrisons-agent-declares-door-open-to-steelers-return/

I thought that somebody would give James Harrison a 2-3 year deal where he would have made more than the Steelers offer, at least in the first year. Looks like I was wrong, and I'll gladly admit that.

Now that James has an opportunity to see his market value, perhaps there is room for an incentive laden deal.

I was doubtful that Harrison would return and still am doubtful, but the coaching staff wanted him back, and if they can work something out, I would love to see Harrison back for one more year. Between his age and Woodley's injury history, I suspect that the Steelers will still end up with an opportunity to see what Worilds can do.

Oviedo
03-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Sorry, but Harrison had his chance to get a $4M contract and he rejected it. Now that he has no interest in the league because of his fading skills and constant running gun battle with the Commish he is interested in coming back. Thanks but no thanks. Just move on.

Jooser
03-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Harrison’s agent declares door open to Steelers return Posted by Darin Gantt on March 25, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/350x-46.jpg?w=250 AP
Other than Elvis Dumervil (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3941/elvis-dumervil)’s fax machine and former agent, maybe no one’s had a rougher free agency than James Harrison (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/665/james-harrison).

Not only did the former Steelers outside linebacker lose when he called the Steelers bluff on a pay cut (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/09/harrison-rejected-30-percent-pay-cut-opportunity-to-earn-it-back/), then he lost his chance at another job (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/24/ravens-were-scheduled-to-meet-with-james-harrison/) when Dumervil signed with the Ravens while he was there for a visit.

Now, he’s trying to crawl back to the Steelers (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/316254567769714688). According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Harrison’s agent “has not closed the door on his client returning to [Pittsburgh] and would welcome a call from Steelers.”

I suppose he would.

Harrison might be the guy without a chair when the pass-rushers all settle into place. And when he does, it’s hard to imagine he’ll approach anything close to the $6.57 million he was supposed to make this year. Or maybe even the 30-percent pay cut the Steelers offered, with the chance to earn the balance back in incentives.

If they can push through the hurt feelings, having Harrison back might help, as going into an AFC arms race with Jason Worilds (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5701/jason-worilds) opposite LaMarr Woodley (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4224/lamarr-woodley) at outside linebacker isn’t an ideal situation. But overcoming pride can be a difficult thing.

Oviedo
03-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Soimething similar to this was said when Harrison took over for Porter

If they can push through the hurt feelings, having Harrison back might help, as going into an AFC arms race with Jason Worilds (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5701/jason-worilds) opposite LaMarr Woodley (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4224/lamarr-woodley) at outside linebacker isn’t an ideal situation.

Harrison had zero sacks the season before he took over. Worilds had 5 last year. I say give Worilds a run.

Sugar
03-25-2013, 02:59 PM
I have little doubt that Harrison would be the Steelers best pass rusher were he to return to the team. That said, he ain't coming back.

squidkid
03-25-2013, 03:00 PM
how about 'blow it out your ass' on the phone call.
harrison said 'f you' to the organization and fans when he wouldnt play for 70% with the opportunity to earn it all, now he wants another chance................how's 1 million sound with the opportunity to earn nothing?
he was given the loyalty offer that would have been a big mistake. time to move on to a young player that will still be a round and productive when the steelers become competitive in a few years.

papillon
03-25-2013, 03:05 PM
I'd love to see James back in the black and gold, but the deal would have to be loaded with incentives to earn any real scratch. If he's not amenable to that, well, then it's go time for Worilds.

Pappy

phillyesq
03-25-2013, 03:10 PM
how about 'blow it out your ass' on the phone call.
harrison said 'f you' to the organization and fans when he wouldnt play for 70% with the opportunity to earn it all, now he wants another chance................how's 1 million sound with the opportunity to earn nothing?
he was given the loyalty offer that would have been a big mistake. time to move on to a young player that will still be a round and productive when the steelers become competitive in a few years.

Did he say that or did his agent say that? Every comment I saw from James personally said that he hoped to come back. After the release, he graciously thanked fans.

He's not like Wallace and Lewis patting each other on the pack and all but literally giving the Steelers a "screw you" on the way out of town.

squidkid
03-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Did he say that or did his agent say that? Every comment I saw from James personally said that he hoped to come back. After the release, he graciously thanked fans.

He's not like Wallace and Lewis patting each other on the pack and all but literally giving the Steelers a "screw you" on the way out of town.

if he wanted to stay all he had to do was sign the contract.
people are acting like the steelers royally F'ed him and offered a 80% flat paycut.

flippy
03-25-2013, 03:20 PM
He'd likely have to come back for a league minimum contract.

I feel bad for Harrison. He's probably caught up in taking some bad advice. By all accounts, he's been the hardest working Steeler on the roster since he's been here. He's also been arguably one of the best defensive players to ever lace em up. Why should he take a pay cut?

Sure we can all say he's old. And he's injured. And he's past his prime. Maybe true. Maybe not. Apparently the coaches don't think so based on them wanting him back. Whatever it is, I'm sure the competitive nature of James probably won't let his mind believe he's on the decline. He probably thinks he's the same guy he was when he was in his 20s. Heck, I still think I'm way younger than I actually am in my mind. It leads me to do all kinds of things my body reminds me I shouldn't have been doing a day later. But I never seem to get the point either.

If we can somehow get him back, he'd still be one of the 3 superstars on this team. I'm kinda on James side on this. He probably deserves to get paid. And I'd love for him to get the chance to prove it with an offseason to get healthy again. I think everyone in the league is making a mistake on him.

hawaiiansteel
03-25-2013, 03:39 PM
I don't think the Steelers will do anything until after the draft...

phillyesq
03-25-2013, 03:44 PM
if he wanted to stay all he had to do was sign the contract.
people are acting like the steelers royally F'ed him and offered a 80% flat paycut.

Who is acting like that? I think the Steelers offered him a fair deal and he got some bad advice.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-25-2013, 03:45 PM
I thought that somebody would give James Harrison a 2-3 year deal where he would have made more than the Steelers offer, at least in the first year. Looks like I was wrong, and I'll gladly admit that.
you and me, both! and glad to see there's an outside chance he comes back...

flippy
03-25-2013, 03:49 PM
you and me, both! and glad to see there's an outside chance he comes back...

The only thing I can think is teams are worried about backlash from Goodell from signing him. Is it possible he got black balled by the league.

Sugar
03-25-2013, 03:50 PM

I feel bad for Harrison. He's probably caught up in taking some bad advice. By all accounts, he's been the hardest working Steeler on the roster since he's been here. He's also been arguably one of the best defensive players to ever lace em up. Why should he take a pay cut?

Sure we can all say he's old. And he's injured. And he's past his prime. Maybe true. Maybe not. Apparently the coaches don't think so based on them wanting him back. Whatever it is, I'm sure the competitive nature of James probably won't let his mind believe he's on the decline. He probably thinks he's the same guy he was when he was in his 20s. Heck, I still think I'm way younger than I actually am in my mind. It leads me to do all kinds of things my body reminds me I shouldn't have been doing a day later. But I never seem to get the point either.

If we can somehow get him back, he'd still be one of the 3 superstars on this team. I'm kinda on James side on this. He probably deserves to get paid. And I'd love for him to get the chance to prove it with an offseason to get healthy again. I think everyone in the league is making a mistake on him.

I'm thinking the same way. I just don't know how a man like Deebo could walk back into the locker room after being made to eat it like this. His pride has been one of his best assets, but it seems to be what will keep him from the Steelers.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-25-2013, 04:13 PM
i'd bring him back at league minimum and have him as a backup, if he'd do it. time for worilds to get his crack. maybe put harrison in a few times a game or on longer drives or something.

flippy
03-25-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm thinking the same way. I just don't know how a man like Deebo could walk back into the locker room after being made to eat it like this. His pride has been one of his best assets, but it seems to be what will keep him from the Steelers.

Technically his agent should be on the hook. By giving him bad advise, he forced the Steelers to write off $3M+ by cutting James, and that's why there's no money left to give James.

If I were James, I send this guy a bill instead of a commission. He screwed James and the Steelers both.

Siggy00
03-25-2013, 04:24 PM
The agent works FOR James. If James wanted to sign that offer HE would have.

flippy
03-25-2013, 04:31 PM

Because James is clearly the brains. ;)

squidkid
03-25-2013, 04:41 PM
looks like james taking the preseason and beginning of the regular season off last year didnt work out too good for him

Sugar
03-25-2013, 04:52 PM

True. However, I look at it like my lawyer or realtor or doctor. I have to make decisions in life but I trust the advice of professionals that supposedly know what they are doing in a specific area. I'm sure that James was doing the same.

williar
03-25-2013, 04:58 PM
A healthy James Harrison would still be the best medicine for this roster. I don't like what he did either but I understand it. Many of you are criticizing Harrison for his pride, but at the same time, some of you are too arrogant as well to want him back on the team for what he did. I'm like, "Welcome Back, James" what took you so long... There's your #92 right over there by your locker. Now let's get ready to bitch-slap somebody".

squidkid
03-25-2013, 05:07 PM
A healthy James Harrison would still be the best medicine for this roster. I don't like what he did either but I understand it. Many of you are criticizing Harrison for his pride, but at the same time, some of you are too arrogant as well to want him back on the team for what he did. I'm like, "Welcome Back, James" what took you so long... There's your #92 right over there by your locker. Now let's get ready to bitch-slap somebody"............'oh, and here's your league minimum paycheck'

kindlecatsb'ng
03-25-2013, 06:00 PM
A healthy James Harrison would still be the best medicine for this roster. I don't like what he did either but I understand it. Many of you are criticizing Harrison for his pride, but at the same time, some of you are too arrogant as well to want him back on the team for what he did. I'm like, "Welcome Back, James" what took you so long... There's your #92 right over there by your locker. Now let's get ready to bitch-slap somebody".

Agree.

For me, this would be the best news yet to have him come back. He took a risk and it didn't go the way he had hoped. Live and learn. He is a hard worker and takes the game seriously. I would rather have him on our team than on another team.
Hope to see him in #92.

Kindle

Sugar
03-25-2013, 06:04 PM

I hope I didn't come off as being critical of Harrison for his pride. IMO, it's what took him being an UDFA to the most feared man in the NFL. It's what makes me think that he can play for another couple years despite what the naysayers bark. However, for a man with his pride who has been to the mountain top to have to publicly eat it and go back would be tough. Then there is the whole "awkward" situation with Worilds as well. Deebo would be the best OL on the team if he came back, but I'm not thinking he will in the end. I'd love to be wrong on this one.

thor75
03-25-2013, 06:10 PM
JH may have to swallow some pride to come back but I bet he'll feel totally different when the crowd at Heinz cheers when his name is called. I know I would be cheering. I think he has two good years left.

williar
03-25-2013, 06:14 PM
I hope I didn't come off as being critical of Harrison for his pride. IMO, it's what took him being an UDFA to the most feared man in the NFL. It's what makes me think that he can play for another couple years despite what the naysayers bark. However, for a man with his pride who has been to the mountain top to have to publicly eat it and go back would be tough. Then there is the whole "awkward" situation with Worilds as well. Deebo would be the best OL on the team if he came back, but I'm not thinking he will in the end. I'd love to be wrong on this one.

I understand.... I too believe that JH made an emotional decision at the time and his pride and short-sightedness got in the way of him making a rational decision. I blame his agent for that.... With all that said, I'm surely not going to act like this guy is worthless, all of a sudden. JH is still a great playmaker and if healthy, could help this team immensely!

Sugar
03-25-2013, 06:33 PM
I understand.... I too believe that JH made an emotional decision at the time and his pride and short-sightedness got in the way of him making a rational decision. I blame his agent for that.... With all that said, I'm surely not going to act like this guy is worthless, all of a sudden. JH is still a great playmaker and if healthy, could help this team immensely!

I'm not even sure how emotional the decision was. I can just see the agent telling him "this is what they'll give you, but you'll make more on the market" and him buying it. Either way, he's on the outside looking in again. I'd hate to see a career like his end this way.

williar
03-25-2013, 06:48 PM

I think his old teammates would love to have him back and as far as the awkwardness, players know that it can be an ugly, cold, unforgiving business. Look at all of the high profile players that have accepted paycuts. Most of these guys have experienced this already. If not, most of them will in due time. I remember when Ray Lewis was a free agent most recently and stepped out on the open market thinking he was going to get a great offer from another team not named the ravens. Didn't happen, he went crawling back to the ravens for less money than he expected to make on the open market.

phillyesq
03-25-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm not even sure how emotional the decision was. I can just see the agent telling him "this is what they'll give you, but you'll make more on the market" and him buying it. Either way, he's on the outside looking in again. I'd hate to see a career like his end this way.

I would suspect this is what happened.

And remember, James Harrison only had one big pay day in the NFL.

phillyesq
03-25-2013, 06:58 PM

What an asinine comment. You don't think that these guys get, and rely on, advice from their agents?

Eddie Spaghetti
03-25-2013, 07:03 PM
I believe parise told james to take the deal, but james thought he could get more on the open market.

SidSmythe
03-25-2013, 07:08 PM
The Steelers most likely will wait until after the draft b4 they entertain an offer to Harrison.

supersteeler
03-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Guys, we all loved JH and contract aside now, I really don't see the Steelers calling his agent. They are going with Jason Worlids now and look for another OLB in the draft. I don't blame the Steelers or James trying to get the best contact he could get eleswhere, they tried and it didn't work out.

It's Worlids time now, we seen flashes of his ability to pressure the QB with 5 sacks on a limited basis, maybe with a full season under his belt those 5 become 10 or better. He's on his last year of his rookie contract and I'm sure he wants to be the best he can be for the Steelers and his future, so he's the next man up.

Sugar
03-25-2013, 09:51 PM
I believe parise told james to take the deal, but james thought he could get more on the open market.

Really. Why would you think that?

Oviedo
03-25-2013, 10:52 PM

Is a "healthy James Harrison possible?" That is the question

BradshawsHairdresser
03-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Is a "healthy James Harrison possible?" That is the question

Is a healthy Jason Worilds possible? A healthy LaMarr Woodley?

What about Troy Polamalu? Emmanuel Sanders? Maurkice Pouncey? Even Ben Roethlisberger?
Not trying to be an ar$$e, but it seems like they've all had their injury issues...

Djfan
03-25-2013, 11:29 PM
You're all nuts if you don't want him back. He's a wrecking ball.

Sign him for what his cap hit is. That way he's back and we have no risk.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Really. Why would you think that?

harrison strikes me as the kind of guy who would be insulted by being asked to take a paycut after what he has put into it. Numerous times he has been called the hardest worker on the team by his coaches and to then be asked to take less money might have pissed him off. He may have thought he would get more from somebody else.

pure speculation on my part, but it makes just as much sense as believing his agent told him to turn down the steelers offer. Who would have a better sense of the market, james or parise?

Shoe
03-26-2013, 12:14 AM

That's the point: He wasn't a wrecking ball last year. Anyone who focused on him (which I do, because he was such a great player), saw a guy who was a full step late to the play, who could no longer dip his shoulder nor walk the Tackle back into the QB... granted, his stats slightly upticked toward the end of the season (which might take as playing into shape)... But it's a gamble to make that assumption.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-26-2013, 12:19 AM

That isn't how the cap works. Once he was released, his remaining bonuses were accelerated into this season as dead money. His cap hit right now is $4.93M for 2013. Any new contract would go on top of that cap charge.

Oviedo
03-26-2013, 06:45 AM

There's a ton of risk with him: performance, health, attitude, etc. Pay him on a per game basis (yes I know you can't) and see if he can stay on the field or does the back flair up again. Only way I would want to see him back is for vet minimum plus incentives.

He made the bed he is sleeping in by rejecting the Steelers generous offer.

SteelBucks
03-26-2013, 07:32 AM
What an asinine comment. You don't think that these guys get, and rely on, advice from their agents?

I actually agree with Crash here. Yes, players get advice from their agents every day but all final decisions are ultimately up to the player.

phillyesq
03-26-2013, 08:23 AM
I actually agree with Crash here. Yes, players get advice from their agents every day but all final decisions are ultimately up to the player.

If you are within two years of retirement and the person you pay to advise you tells you that you will make more money somewhere else, would you listen to him?

phillyesq
03-26-2013, 08:23 AM
There's a ton of risk with him: performance, health, attitude, etc. Pay him on a per game basis (yes I know you can't) and see if he can stay on the field or does the back flair up again. Only way I would want to see him back is for vet minimum plus incentives.

He made the bed he is sleeping in by rejecting the Steelers generous offer.

Attitude? How is his attitude a risk? He's been one of the hardest working guys on the team for years.

phillyesq
03-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Bouchette says the Steelers are no longer interested, FWIW:

Ed: Steelers Close the Door on James Harrison (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/120451-ed-steelers-close-the-door-on-james-harrison)

TUESDAY, 26 MARCH 2013 08:03
WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTEhttp://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/templates/pg_twn/images/emailButton.png (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=df02fe80eadbca8f85902b63d909161ee24c08b8)

Good morning,
Never say never, but the Steelers have informed James Harrison that they no longer are interested in him playing for them in 2013, according to a source.
Harrison has no offers and no known visits scheduled after he traveled to Baltimore Sunday for a Monday physical and a meeting with the Ravens only to learn that they had signed former Denver defensive end Elvis Dumervil that day and canceled his appointment. The Ravens plan to use Dumervil at outside linebacker in their 3-4 defense.
Bill Parise, Harrison’s agent, said on Monday that he “has a couple things going on” with teams in the NFL. However, the Steelers are not one of them and let Harrison know over the weekend they have decided to go with others at his old position at right outside linebacker.
That decision likely was formed not long after the Steelers released Harrison March 9 when the two sides could not agree on how much of a paycut the five-time Pro Bowl linebacker would take from his scheduled 2013 salary of $6.57 million.
The Steelers have at least kicked the tires of other veteran outside linebackers who are free agents. They had former Cowboys backup Victor Butler for a visit, and have reportedly been interested in Dumervil and former Colts defensive end/linebacker Dwight Freeney, who remains free after he was released by Indianapolis. Butler has visited three teams and left without a contract, first with the Steelers, then with the Saints and on Monday in Cleveland. He will next visit the Philadelphia Eagles, according to reports. Billy Davis, a former Steelers assistant coach, is the Eagles defensive coordinator.
The top candidate to replace Harrison at outside linebacker is Jason Worilds, the Steelers’ second-round draft choice in 2009. Worilds has been stuck behind Harrison and LaMarr Woodley and has played usually only on the left side when Woodley has been injured. Worilds played in all 16 games last season and started three for the injured Woodley. He had five sacks and 26 total tackles. He started 10 games in his career and has eight career sacks.
“I believe that Jason Worilds is champing at the bit to prove he is capable of being that,’’ Mike Tomlin said last week at the NFL meetings. “When I first got to Pittsburgh in 2007, and we had to let go of Joey Porter, there was a guy that came in my office that was ready to prove that he was capable of 900-1,000 snaps a year. His name was James Harrison. We will see what Worilds is capable of doing.”
One footnote here: Back then, Tomlin told people in the organization that it was a “no-brainer” to release Porter and his big salary in favor of Harrison after watching tape of the two. This one, obviously, has not been a no-brainer or otherwise the Steelers would not have negotiated with Harrison to take a paycut and return at age 35.
Chris Carter would be another possibility at right outside linebacker, although he was unimpressive when he started the first three games of the 2012 season for Harrison as he rehabbed from knee surgery. Carter had six total tackles in those games and no sacks. He ultimately went on injured reserve with an abdominal injury and also missed 1 ½ games with a hamstring injury. The Steelers drafted Carter in the fifth round in 2011.
One very outside possibility to move to Harrison’s spot is Lawrence Timmons, who has played there and started there because of injuries. However, the Steelers hope to keep Timmons at inside linebacker, where he was their best defensive player last season.
The Steelers could draft an outside linebacker and put him there. However, they have not drafted one who has been able to start there consistently as a rookie since they moved to the 3-4 defense in 1982. They also have not drafted someone to play outside linebacker in the first round since Huey Richardson in 1991 and the Florida defensive end could not make the transition and never played a snap for the Steelers, who cut him after one season.
Timmons has been the only linebacker they’ve drafted in the first round since then and, after an initial thought to using him on the outside, they put him at inside linebacker as his primary position. It took Timmons, drafted in 2007, until his third season before he moved into his starting job.
The final possibility to fill Harrison’s job would be for the Steelers to sign someone in free agency.

NorthCoast
03-26-2013, 08:39 AM

I get what you are saying. But keep in mind he was paid his full salary last season even though he was largely ineffective for at least 1/2 of it. The Steelers didn't ask for money back, but this season they wanted the hometown discount and he balked (or his agent did). On balance, I think the Steelers offer was more than fair but obviously James didn't see it the same way.

SteelBucks
03-26-2013, 08:41 AM
If you are within two years of retirement and the person you pay to advise you tells you that you will make more money somewhere else, would you listen to him?

Yes I would listen and take his advice into consideration. Harrison has three options at this point: wait for offer, sign with the Steelers (if they're still interested) at a reduced rate or retire. It's a tough decision and it's Harrison's to make not his agent.

feltdizz
03-26-2013, 09:02 AM

Yep... all this "pride got the best of him crap and not crawling back" is hilarious...

No one in the locker room is going to look at Harrison and laugh... unless Harrison makes a joke about it.

Players understand FA is a gamble and it doesn't always work out.

NorthCoast
03-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Yep... all this "pride got the best of him crap and not crawling back" is hilarious...

No one in the locker room is going to look at Harrison and laugh... unless Harrison makes a joke about it.

Players understand FA is a gamble and it doesn't always work out.

It usually works best for the young, not the aged. John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, James Harrison... all still waiting by the phone.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-26-2013, 10:23 AM
I would take him back but it would be between vet min & under 2 mil. He is already costing the Steelers close to 5 mil this season. He would know up front he is going to see signficant decrease in snap count to get Worilds on the field. That would benefit him too keeping him fresh for the end of season and possibly post season. 1 YEAR DEAL.

papillon
03-26-2013, 10:55 AM
If Worilds could have performed at the same level as James Harrison in 2012 wouldn't he have been on the field and James on the bench? Wouldn't the Steelers have known then, they were going to release Harrison? Instead, the Steelers made an offer to Harrison at a reduced price hoping to keep him, for what? To be a backup at 70% of his salary? For leadership at 70% of his salary? No, they wanted him back at a reduced rate because he's the best OLB they have and they were hoping the incentives to earn his entire salary would get him to sign. He's still the best OLB they would have, unfortunately, he isn't a member of the team at this point.

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
03-26-2013, 10:55 AM
door closed... see my sig! bwahahaha

SidSmythe
03-26-2013, 02:23 PM
According to Bouchette, the door has been closed for Harrison with the Steelers.
Well at least for now I believe. Obviously they're not dead set on Worilds if they're looking at that Cowboys OLB and Freeney.

Siggy00
03-26-2013, 02:44 PM
If Bouchette says it's closed he'll probably sign by Friday.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-26-2013, 03:07 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
$$$$$$$$$$

Djfan
03-26-2013, 03:08 PM

Awesome.

If he's not signed by the third week, we will pick him up then.

Oviedo
03-26-2013, 03:20 PM
If Worilds could have performed at the same level as James Harrison in 2012 wouldn't he have been on the field and James on the bench? Wouldn't the Steelers have known then, they were going to release Harrison? Instead, the Steelers made an offer to Harrison at a reduced price hoping to keep him, for what? To be a backup at 70% of his salary? For leadership at 70% of his salary? No, they wanted him back at a reduced rate because he's the best OLB they have and they were hoping the incentives to earn his entire salary would get him to sign. He's still the best OLB they would have, unfortunately, he isn't a member of the team at this point.

Pappy

Steelers offered. Harrison rejected. He screwed up. He has to live with his decision.

Captain Lemming
03-26-2013, 03:47 PM

Nice one Crash :)

Eich
03-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Steelers offered. Harrison rejected. He screwed up. He has to live with his decision.

And so do we...

Seriously... if the guy still has value and we were willing to pay him decent money a few weeks ago, would we really let egos get in the way of signing him now? I can understand if we dumpped a truckload of money on somone else but we haven't.

Ghost
03-26-2013, 04:19 PM

Pappy

I agree with Pap. The Steelers are singing the "It's Woirlds Time" song now but they clearly were trying to get James H back on the team. And it wasn't to be a mentor or pine-rider. During the season and at the start of the off season they clearly thought he was their best option. Now they're saying what they have to say and praying it works out that way. He's ready b/c there is no other choice.

Sugar
03-26-2013, 04:21 PM
And so do we...

Seriously... if the guy still has value and we were willing to pay him decent money a few weeks ago, would we really let egos get in the way of signing him now? I can understand if we dumpped a truckload of money on somone else but we haven't.

Even at his age, Deebo was still the best OLB on the team last year. I understand that there is an investment in Worilds, but I would think that these kinds of things would be considered as well.

feltdizz
03-26-2013, 04:25 PM

I'm sure he will live...

Oviedo
03-26-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm sure he will live...

So will the Steelers just like they have when they have discarded every player past his "sell by" date

Sugar
03-26-2013, 05:34 PM
So will the Steelers just like they have when they have discarded every player past his "sell by" date

Of course the Steelers will live. They always do. How well they'll live is another story. The problem here is that James is not past his sell-by date. They were OK after getting rid of Rod Woodson too early, they'll be OK sooner or later here too.

pittpete
03-26-2013, 07:07 PM
The problem here is that James is not past his sell-by date.
Is that why teams were stepping all over each other to sign him.
A 36 year old with a spinal injury doesn't get better with age.
He is one play away from another injury.
He should honestly retire.
Great player for awhile but his career is over.

feltdizz
03-26-2013, 07:38 PM

For a while? Cmon man... he dominanted from the day he replaced Porter until his injury and he was pretty good late last season. Its a young mans game tho... if we reopened the door I wouldnt have a problem with him resigning

pittpete
03-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Yeah Felt, he was pretty great for awhile.
6 years is awhile in my book
7 + years is a long time...LOL;)

Sugar
03-26-2013, 08:37 PM

I would see your point if he wasn't playing his best football at the end of the year.

Anyway, aren't ALL players one play away from an injury? I think the whole team could attest to that last year. Even Ben was kept as clean as he had in his career and still got injured. It happens.

pittpete
03-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Ive had 2 different back surgeries, I'm always 1 wrong turn or twist from reinjuring the area.
Football players that need to twist,turn and bend their bodies repetitively while pushing and pulling hundreds of pounds with a back problem are worse off in my opinion.

SS Laser
03-27-2013, 12:18 AM
I wonder if the dead money figures into not wanting him back? I figured it would stay quiet incase the Steelers needed him because of injury or terrible play like they did with Starks.

Slapstick
03-27-2013, 05:50 AM
Let's be honest...

At this point, Harrison's agent would welcome a call from anyone...

hawaiiansteel
03-29-2013, 03:27 AM
Ryan Clark knows it will be “tough” to replace James Harrison

Posted by Mike Florio on March 28, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/harrison4.jpg?w=247

Before free agency started, the Steelers cut linebacker James Harrison. Since then, after Harrison found no takers in free agency, the Steelers reportedly rebuffed an attempt by Harrison to become a Steeler again.

Steelers safety Ryan Clark apparently believes the team will regret it.

“That is tough,” Clark told NFL Network regarding the decision to move on from Harrison. “That is going to be one of the tougher spots we have to fill because it is not just the player. It is the way people felt about James Harrison as you looked across the line and realized you had to block him, or a quarterback dropping back knowing James Harrison is coming, running backs knowing they can’t cut back to the left because James is running down the line. You can’t change that. You can’t make a person be that.

“That comes when a guy goes out there week after week and dominates people and that is what James did. He instilled fear into the offense. That is going to be hard to replace. You may get a player with similar numbers, but to have that intimidation factor is going to be extremely hard. It is something that has to be earned.”

Clark remains confident the franchise will rebound from its current transition.

“It is tough but it is the Steelers though,” Clark said. “If you talk about one team who has found ways to consistently be in the hunt to win the AFC North, consistently be in the hunt for the playoffs, it is us. We have been to three Super Bowls in the last decade, so the Steelers know how to retool and get guys right in there that step up to be good players.”

That ability perhaps will be tested more this year than ever before.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/28/ryan-clark-knows-it-will-be-tough-to-replace-james-harrison/

fezziwig
03-29-2013, 07:08 AM
I have mixed feelings about this with Harrison. I'm ready for the youth movement and to learn if we have the person to fill this position for years to come. Then again, James might have another year in the tank. I highly doubt it so I've just set an answer to myself doubts and regrets of allowing James to move on. The Steelers have done the right thing even if we don't have a person that can handle the job. It's just time to move on. I wish they would move on from Troy too.

The way Clark is always in the media or speaking up, I wonder if he's setting the tone for a job in brodcasting after his football days ?

Oviedo
03-29-2013, 08:24 AM
I have mixed feelings about this with Harrison. I'm ready for the youth movement and to learn if we have the person to fill this position for years to come. Then again, James might have another year in the tank. I highly doubt it so I've just set an answer to myself doubts and regrets of allowing James to move on. The Steelers have done the right thing even if we don't have a person that can handle the job. It's just time to move on. I wish they would move on from Troy too.

The way Clark is always in the media or speaking up, I wonder if he's setting the tone for a job in brodcasting after his football days ?

We are of like mind. I agree with you 100%. It is time to move on. Harrison isn't going to get better. Give Worilds more reps and he very well may get better just like Harrison did when they dumped Joey Porter.

No doubt Clark is preparing for his second career.

NorthCoast
03-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Would take Harrison back for the vet minimum but not sure Harrison would feel the same kind of drive playing for that kind of contract. and not sure he would be all that good of a mentor for the young players cause he comes off kind of nasty.

feltdizz
03-29-2013, 09:16 AM
We are of like mind. I agree with you 100%. It is time to move on. Harrison isn't going to get better. Give Worilds more reps and he very well may get better just like Harrison did when they dumped Joey Porter.

No doubt Clark is preparing for his second career.

Harrison doesn't need to get any better... he needs to get younger and that ain't possible.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Didn't the Steelers show they valued Harrison highly (w/ an offer @ the end of the season), but just not highly enough according to Harrison's agent?

After he recovered from injury last year, wasn't Harrison the best back on the field for us?

Understanding that after he walked we may have spent some of the money earmarked for him … I would offer him every penny of what we have left over to come back 1 more year and be our best back. Due diligence of course to make sure this whole fiasco hasn't twisted him evil, but if that's OK and he's healthy - seems nuts to willfully choose to not put the best player we can on the field.

NorthCoast
03-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Didn't the Steelers show they valued Harrison highly (w/ an offer @ the end of the season), but just not highly enough according to Harrison's agent?

After he recovered from injury last year, wasn't Harrison the best back on the field for us?

Understanding that after he walked we may have spent some of the money earmarked for him … I would offer him every penny of what we have left over to come back 1 more year and be our best back. Due diligence of course to make sure this whole fiasco hasn't twisted him evil, but if that's OK and he's healthy - seems nuts to willfully choose to not put the best player we can on the field.

When you are at the end of your career, you can play for the money (usually with a different team), or you can play for the team you grew up with and love (usually for less money). I think the Steelers probably sensed Harrison was more in the mode of the former, rather than the latter. Nothing wrong with either choice, but very difficult to change the mindset once it has been made.

Oviedo
03-29-2013, 11:21 AM
When you are at the end of your career, you can play for the money (usually with a different team), or you can play for the team you grew up with and love (usually for less money). I think the Steelers probably sensed Harrison was more in the mode of the former, rather than the latter. Nothing wrong with either choice, but very difficult to change the mindset once it has been made.

I agree. I also disagree that Harrison was the best LB at the end of the season. Timmons was better beginning, middle and end of the season. He just doesn't get Harrison's opportunities to go after the QB.

Don't forget that Worilds had 5 sacks in what I think were fewer plays on the field than Harrison had. Don't see why anyone assumesd Harrison was so much more dominant other than his rep which doesn't mean jack anymore. No one fears him anymore.

DukieBoy
03-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Give James a contract with significant money built into incentives. Let him target his "attitude" onto the incentives.

Siggy00
03-29-2013, 01:43 PM
They tried that. He said no.

DukieBoy
03-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Times are changing for James. It may be his best (or only) offer at this point.

Siggy00
03-29-2013, 03:10 PM
He has to show remorse to Art II first for turning that offer down.

Until he does? No chance.

NorthCoast
03-29-2013, 05:09 PM

Until he does? No chance.

James Harrison and remorse.... never happen. Not for any money or any job.

ramblinjim
03-29-2013, 05:49 PM
If James retires, someone need to bring back "the legend of James Harrison".........

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-29-2013, 06:14 PM

Until he does? No chance.The Godfather needs to be shown remorse, not Rooney. I'm assuming as a businessman, Rooney would kick the tires a bit to make sure the last month or so didn't warp JH's mind (in any new ways!), then make him an offer based on the same assessment he made when he made the 1st one. Like Dukie said, incentive-laden targets are probably the way to go. Whatever it takes for a win-win situation for the B&G and JH.

I would be devastated to think Rooney would let his own ego get in the way of Lombardi #7.

Siggy00
03-29-2013, 06:17 PM
I would be devastated to think Rooney would let his own ego get in the way of Lombardi #7.

You mean like last off season?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-29-2013, 09:24 PM
You mean like last off season?You can't leave it hanging there, man!

SS Laser
03-29-2013, 09:35 PM
I think he means bringing in Haley.:rolleyes:

Siggy00
03-29-2013, 09:50 PM
I think he means bringing in Haley.:rolleyes:

Yep.

Wasted two years of Brown and Sanders development by scrapping the system in their crucial 3rd seasons.

And for what? So clowns like David Paulson and Will Johnson can have snaps.

Art learned a very valuable lesson:

You get what you pay for.

Snatch98
03-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Yep.

Wasted two years of Brown and Sanders development by scrapping the system in their crucial 3rd seasons.

You and Lloyddroid should get a room. I'm pretty sure the earth would explode, too much football know how in one room. *vomit*

SS Laser
03-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Yep.

Wallace is screwed. New coach, system and OB. Some of your points Crash hold a little water. Some no water at all. Players change systems every year and do just fine. Ben seemed fine in the new system.:cool:

Siggy00
03-29-2013, 11:47 PM
Wallace is screwed. New coach, system and OB. Some of your points Crash hold a little water. Some no water at all. Players change systems every year and do just fine. Ben seemed fine in the new system.:cool:

Because of Ben's stellar play on 3rd down. Not the freaking system.

If we try to live on 3rd down again? Expect more of the same.

Wallace's issue in Miami is no QB. New system there won't take away his ability to run by people.

Big Ern McCracken
03-30-2013, 07:57 AM
will johnson is a player my man. Not many fullbacks in the league as versatle as he is... being able to play H back, tight end... and can run a 4.5 40 yard dash.

Big Ern McCracken
03-30-2013, 08:00 AM
not to mention he did a very nice job as a lead blocker and in pass protection.

fezziwig
03-30-2013, 09:01 AM
I think he means bringing in Haley.:rolleyes: With the way Colbert signs old people, I thought you were going to suggest Colbert considering Charles Haley..... whew !

fezziwig
03-30-2013, 09:05 AM
I don't know if Haley is the right fit for our team then or now but, Arians had to go. He had so much talent and a tough defense to back him up but still his offenses looked like a confused pick up team.

Wallace is gone and now that our speed has diminished, Haley might be the guy for the remaining players.

Siggy00
03-30-2013, 11:29 AM
I don't know if Haley is the right fit for our team then or now but, Arians had to go. He had so much talent and a tough defense to back him up but still his offenses looked like a confused pick up team

Please.

Arians had one weakness: Tipping plays off based on formation.

But Haley's incompetent. He's not qualified. He's in over his head.

He's only here because of who his Daddy is. And when Art dumps Tomlin? Haley will be the next head coach.

What fun THAT will be.

feltdizz
03-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Please.

Arians had one weakness: Tipping plays off based on formation.

But Haley's incompetent. He's not qualified. He's in over his head.

He's only here because of who his Daddy is. And when Art dumps Tomlin? Haley will be the next head coach.

What fun THAT will be.

How many times do you need to mention this Daddy dig?

phillyesq
03-30-2013, 11:55 AM
What does any of this have to do with Harrison??? Why is it that one troll hijacks seemingly every thread on this board?

hawaiiansteel
03-30-2013, 02:42 PM
What does any of this have to do with Harrison??? Why is it that one troll hijacks seemingly every thread on this board?

Art II is nothing but a meddlesome, two-bit lawyer who wants to return to 70s football, Todd Haley is a yinzer ex-golf coach who only got the job because of who his Daddy is and Dick LeBeau's defense can't hold a 4th quarter lead and always needs Ben the demi-God who is disrespected by the organization to bail him out.

I think that pretty much covers it, did I miss anything?

Snatch98
03-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Art II is nothing but a meddlesome, two-bit lawyer who wants to return to 70s football, Todd Haley is a yinzer ex-golf coach who only got the job because of who his Daddy is and Dick LeBeau's defense can't hold a 4th quarter lead and always needs Ben the demi-God who is disrespected by the organization to bail him out.

I don't understand why some of these guys don't get temp banned. It's only a few guys and they come in and troll that hell out of every thread they're involved in. Although it seems crash has taken over for Lloyd droid who doesn't seem to be spamming the HELL out of the board anymore, or maybe I'm just not noticing it as much. I'm all for dissenting opinions but when those opinions are absolutely ridiculous all it does is disrupt a board that is otherwise great for user created content and linked articles. it's becoming a circus.

Slapstick
03-30-2013, 08:21 PM
You can say you don't like Haley. But for someone to say he's unqualified just makes the person making that claim look stupid....

squidkid
03-30-2013, 09:02 PM
I don't understand why some of these guys don't get temp banned. It's only a few guys and they come in and troll that hell out of every thread they're involved in. Although it seems crash has taken over for Lloyd droid who doesn't seem to be spamming the HELL out of the board anymore, or maybe I'm just not noticing it as much. I'm all for dissenting opinions but when those opinions are absolutely ridiculous all it does is disrupt a board that is otherwise great for user created content and linked articles. it's becoming a circus.

instead of crying for certain posters to be banned because they dont sing kumbaya with you, why dont you simply not read their post or put them on ignore?

fezziwig
03-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Before Haley even had a full season in with the Steelers he's getting bashed . If the Rooneys hired people because they have Pittsburgh roots, or their fathers or aunts was apart of the teams past then, we would have seen Tom Donahoe keep his job, Joe Greene as our head coach and so on.
It so weak to say Haley got his job because of his father , pah ---leeeeeeeeezee, enough with that.

If Haley starts doing bone headed stuff, calls a play that doesn't work over and over again. Won't stick with plays that do work. Only has three running plays, only practices two running plays a week, too buddy buddy with Ben then, I'll start complaining about him but until then, I'll give the guy a chance.

On the other hand with Lebeau and his fourth quarter meltdowns, many seasons it took for him to get away from zone defense against Brady. Lebeau has been bubble boy for too long.

Siggy00
03-31-2013, 01:04 AM
You can say you don't like Haley. But for someone to say he's unqualified just makes the person making that claim look stupid....

What are his qualifications? List them.

He's nothing but a guy with the right connections. Almost every NFL job he's ever had he only got because he knew the right people.

Siggy00
03-31-2013, 01:18 AM

No, that's about right.

Feel free to dispute it with FACTS.

Oh that's right, you can't.

Siggy00
03-31-2013, 01:26 AM
If the Rooneys hired people because they have Pittsburgh roots, or their fathers or aunts was apart of the teams past then, we would have seen Tom Donahoe keep his job, Joe Greene as our head coach and so on.

Joe Greene looses the Steelers job to, PITTSBURGH native Bill Cowher, the 1st runner up? PITTSBURGH native, Dave Wannstedt.

It so weak to say Haley got his job because of his father , pah ---leeeeeeeeezee, enough with that.

The truth sucks but guess what? It's still the truth.

If Haley starts doing bone headed stuff, calls a play that doesn't work over and over again. Won't stick with plays that do work. Only has three running plays, only practices two running plays a week, too buddy buddy with Ben then, I'll start complaining about him but until then, I'll give the guy a chance.

You mean like forcing deep passes to Will freaking Johnson? Yeah those worked.

Three running plays? The Steelers basically had one run play all season: Between the tackles.

You also need to learn your Steelers history, BOTH Tom Donahoe and Bill Cowher turned in their resignations. They did not want to work together anymore. If Donahoe stayed, that means Cowher would have been let go. They BOTH forced the Rooney's to choose one or the other.

You can't ignore the obvious bias the ownership has for hiring people from Pittsburgh or "friends of the family". To say it has no bearing on their decision making is showing nothing but flat out ignorance and denial on your part.

Siggy00
03-31-2013, 02:05 AM

I resent being called a troll. I'm far from a troll.

Apology not accepted.

Snatch98
03-31-2013, 03:28 AM
instead of crying for certain posters to be banned because they dont sing kumbaya with you, why dont you simply not read their post or put them on ignore?

I haven't taken the time to figure out how to put someone on ignore. However once I do you'll be one of them. Congratulations you're a WINNER!

fezziwig
03-31-2013, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=Siggy00;556781]Joe Greene looses the Steelers job to, PITTSBURGH native Bill Cowher, the 1st runner up? PITTSBURGH native, Dave Wannstedt.

The truth sucks but guess what? It's still the truth.

You mean like forcing deep passes to Will freaking Johnson? Yeah those worked.

Three running plays? The Steelers basically had one run play all season: Between the tackles.

You also need to learn your Steelers history, BOTH Tom Donahoe and Bill Cowher turned in their resignations. They did not want to work together anymore. If Donahoe stayed, that means Cowher would have been let go. They BOTH forced the Rooney's to choose one or the other.

You can't ignore the obvious bias the ownership has for hiring people from Pittsburgh or "friends of the family". To say it has no bearing on their decision making is showing nothing but flat out ignorance and denial on your part.[/QUOTE

Donahoe was let go as far as I remember. Donahoe and Cowher did not get along and Dan Rooney said and I quote, " it wasn't a difficult choice to make when it came to keeping either Tom or Bill. Bill was our guy and I've never regreted keeping Bill. " And for the rest of your rant..... your right about everything.

pittpete
03-31-2013, 12:55 PM
So FN what
Its his team, he should be able to hire whoever the F he wants.
I'd say they have a pretty good track record compared to whatever garbage you keep spewing.

Siggy00
03-31-2013, 02:42 PM
So FN what
Its his team, he should be able to hire whoever the F he wants.
I'd say they have a pretty good track record compared to whatever garbage you keep spewing.

How was their track record from 1933-1972? And 1983-2003?

Where are all those championships from those years?

This team is 80 years old, and their "succcess" is basically Bradshaw 1972-1979 and Ben 2004-2012.

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2013, 02:44 PM
How was their track record from 1933-1972? And 1983-2003?

that was all Todd Haley and Dick LeBeau's fault. :roll:

oh wait...

SS Laser
03-31-2013, 02:57 PM
that was all Todd Haley and Dick LeBeau's fault. :roll:

oh wait...

NO it was Art the 2nds fault! LOL:eek:

Crash the mighty BEN LOVING TROLL!

squidkid
03-31-2013, 05:36 PM
I haven't taken the time to figure out how to put someone on ignore. However once I do you'll be one of them. Congratulations you're a WINNER!

oh no, whatever shall i do now that a snatch has put me on ignore?

SteelBucks
03-31-2013, 11:23 PM
This thread is bringing back memories of the Trib board. ;)

Siggy00
03-31-2013, 11:32 PM
Me too.

I'm right, and they aren't.

Just like Pouncey playing guard. I said that should have been done 2 years BEFORE they did it.

But they waste him at center because of the past.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 02:36 AM
Me too.

I'm right, and they aren't.

Just like Pouncey playing guard. I said that should have been done 2 years BEFORE they did it.

But they waste him at center because of the past.

Pouncey didn't play all that well when he played guard...

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 02:39 AM
Against the Ravens when he prepared for guard he was awesome. By far his best game of the year.

He's not that good at center IMO.

He'd be the best guard in football if he played there full time.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 02:46 AM
Against the Ravens when he prepared for guard he was awesome. By far his best game of the year.

which is only your opinion and nothing more.

there is a reason Pouncey has only played center for his entire collegiate career and for almost all of his Steelers career...

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 02:50 AM
which is only your opinion and nothing more.

there is a reason Pouncey has only played center for his entire collegiate career and for almost all of his Steelers career...

WATCH HIM at center.

He gets out muscled constantly by NFL nose tackles. You also must remember he played in a gimmick offense at Florida, where run blocking for backs in a traditional set wasn't the norm.

In case you don't know? They don't run the Tebow gimmick offense in Pittsburgh.

If Pouncey was on any other team? He'd already be at guard full time.

fezziwig
04-01-2013, 08:19 AM
James Harrison anyone ?

feltdizz
04-01-2013, 08:48 AM

Not sure what this has to do with Harrison but I'll chime in. I have no idea if Pouncey is a better Guard than Center but our OL is better when Legs plays C and Pouncey plays Guard. Legs is a decent C but he isn't that good at G.

Now back to Harrison...

fezziwig
04-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Okay, I'll get it started. With the above mentioned talk that the Steelers do not want Harrison back, do you think that is their ultimate say in the matter ? Also, are the Steelers trying to teach Harrisons agent Parise a lesson too ? Seems to me when the Steelers offer and old guy a contract or dollar amount, the mean what they offer.

DukieBoy
04-01-2013, 09:41 AM
If the Steelers would offer a contract to James, I think it would only happen when the agent initiates an approach to the Steelers and comes to them hat-in-hand, with the exception that the Steelers have a felt need (as in case of injury to Worilds or Woodley). And, since market value for James seems to have been set, the contract would be much less than originally offered. IMO. That said, I would like to see James back for another year, at vet minimum with incentives. I doubt he would accept that.

papillon
04-01-2013, 10:39 AM
James Harrison anyone ?

I still want him back in black and gold. I haven't had my fill of James Harrison as a Steeler. I know it isn't happening and I'll just have the memories of James Harrison on the field and the 5 or 6 years in which he was the most dominant defensive player in the game. I am not looking forward to seeing how the right side of the defense plays without James.

Pappy

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Until James bows to Art, no chance he returns.

None.

phillyesq
04-01-2013, 11:08 AM
I resent being called a troll. I'm far from a troll.

Apology not accepted.

And I resent you hijacking every thread on this forum to repeat the same crap. I hate to break it to you, but your constant threadjacking is the epitome of trolling behavior.

phillyesq
04-01-2013, 11:08 AM
I still want him back in black and gold. I haven't had my fill of James Harrison as a Steeler. I know it isn't happening and I'll just have the memories of James Harrison on the field and the 5 or 6 years in which he was the most dominant defensive player in the game. I am not looking forward to seeing how the right side of the defense plays without James.

Pappy

I agree with you completely.

feltdizz
04-01-2013, 12:25 PM

Pappy

so do I Pap...

This D NEEDS an enforcer.. a bully.. a demon.

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 12:43 PM
No it doesn't. It needs innovation, aggressiveness, and be put in position to make plays.

Enough of the romanticized crap.

fezziwig
04-01-2013, 12:58 PM
As I said before, somtimes I'm happy James is gone and sometimes I think he can still get the job done providing he is healthy. I know we need to see who the next man up is and to see if the new guy can handle the job or draft or sign the next great linebacker if our current guy can't handle the job. With that, it's hard to let go of James and all that he did and what he could possibly do.
I guess the Steelers let go of him for us.

DukieBoy
04-01-2013, 01:20 PM
I think back to the Steelers signing Max Starks after letting him go, a couple of times. May be apples to oranges, but I think this could happen with James this year. Wouldn't surprise me that he is one injury away from a contract here, and Woodley and Worilds have been far from iron men.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-01-2013, 01:28 PM
I think back to the Steelers signing Max Starks after letting him go, a couple of times. May be apples to oranges, but I think this could happen with James this year. Wouldn't surprise me that he is one injury away from a contract here, and Woodley and Worilds have been far from iron men.

What a story that would be, it would make "Cinderella" look like a hard-luck story!!

"James Harrison, after being cut for the 4th time in his career, and twice by the Steelers, is called from couch in desperation after Wood tweaks hamstring for 3rd time this season. Harrison, playing with a fury that seemed transported from a time thought gone forever, makes Pro-Bowl, Steelers defensive effort propels them to playoffs, and Ring #7 is now only 1 GAME AWAY!!!!! ...".

Woo-hoooo!

"I Can Dream, Can't I".

blacknblue80s
04-01-2013, 01:52 PM
No it doesn't. It needs innovation, aggressiveness, and be put in position to make plays.

All of the innovation and aggressiveness in the world doesn't make up for the drop off from Harrison to Worilds.

papillon
04-01-2013, 02:00 PM
All of the innovation and aggressiveness in the world doesn't make up for the drop off from Harrison to Worilds.

Amen to that brother Blacknblue.

Pappy

Slapstick
04-01-2013, 02:04 PM

The defense has been in position to make plays for most of the last two seasons...

With the exception of Timmons and Clark (and Woodley for the first half of 2011) the players haven't made them...

DukieBoy
04-01-2013, 02:39 PM
What a story that would be, it would make "Cinderella" look like a hard-luck story!!

"James Harrison, after being cut for the 4th time in his career, and twice by the Steelers, is called from couch in desperation after Wood tweaks hamstring for 3rd time this season. Harrison, playing with a fury that seemed transported from a time thought gone forever, makes Pro-Bowl, Steelers defensive effort propels them to playoffs, and Ring #7 is now only 1 GAME AWAY!!!!! ...".

Woo-hoooo!

"I Can Dream, Can't I".

Yeah, that would be a story worth dreaming.

:tt2

fezziwig
04-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Even if Harrison was signed and turned into the James of past, the rest of the defense is in trouble with injuries, old age and players that are untested or are flops like Ziggy and Heyward.

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 07:00 PM

We don't know that until he's given the chance.

If he's the starter they need to move Woodley to Harrison's side, and move Worilds to Woodley's side and turn them loose.

Siggy00
04-01-2013, 07:04 PM
The defense has been in position to make plays for most of the last two seasons

No it hasn't, the 4th quarter defense has been a joke for the last two seasons.

Because nothing changes. It's bend don't break prevent garbage that doesn't work.

I told you, and correctly I might add, that who was going to be the scapegoat after Arians was fired when the 4th quarter defense continues to blow leads?

Six blown 4th quarter leads in 2012. This after the evil OC was fired and the HOF QB was made an example of.

When does LeBeau's problems become LeBeau's responsibility?

blacknblue80s
04-01-2013, 08:16 PM

If he's the starter they need to move Woodley to Harrison's side, and move Worilds to Woodley's side and turn them loose.

Worilds has had plenty of playing time. He's weak against the run and average as a pass rusher.

I do agree that he is better on the left but still average at best IMO.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2013, 08:21 PM

it would be nice if Worilds would stay healthy long enough to be given the chance.

fezziwig
04-02-2013, 07:38 AM
it would be nice if Worilds would stay healthy long enough to be given the chance.

lol ! Don't forget, Worilds was another first rounder that the football gods gave us in the second round. Everyone we sign is the best despite the outcome of their dismal play, lack of play and so on.

Oviedo
04-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Worilds has had plenty of playing time. He's weak against the run and average as a pass rusher.

I do agree that he is better on the left but still average at best IMO.

And given those supposed limitations he has thus far out performed and out produced the great james Harrison as the same points of their careers where they were given the opportunity to become a starter. Harrison had done nothing except body slam a Browns fan when he was given the starting job. How quickly everyone wants to forget as they get lost in their obsessions over their favorites.

blacknblue80s
04-02-2013, 10:21 AM
And given those supposed limitations he has thus far out performed and out produced the great james Harrison as the same points of their careers where they were given the opportunity to become a starter. Harrison had done nothing except body slam a Browns fan when he was given the starting job. How quickly everyone wants to forget as they get lost in their obsessions over their favorites.
James was a beast at ILB and OLB in preseason games. He dominated.

If we're talking about stats maybe Worilds has compiled decent stats being blocked by RBs and TEs, but going by watching him in games, he has been average IMO. Even in preseason against backups.

fezziwig
04-02-2013, 10:30 AM
All he's done was body slam a Browns fan ? What about defensive player of the year ? Other teams keying on him ? A quarterbacks nightmare ? Turning the tides in the Super Bowl ?
Allowing the rest of the defense to be better ? I keep hearing that Worilds did a bit better in a shorter amount of time for a few plays or a couple of games but, that doesn't map out his career. James has been the real deal for a while now.
Age, injuries and money has caught up to Harrison now and we will learn what Worilds has to offer. I hope Worilds is the next super star at linebacker.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Harrison's agent would welcome his phone to ring...period.

Harrison is only a shell of his former self.

Harrison's decline & Worilds improvement last year in his limited snaps is the reason why they went to Harrison and asked him to take a paycut. Harrison's pride got in his way. It happens when a player thinks he still can play the way he used to. The Steelers told him he wasn't the same player & he disagreed. He took his unearned signing bonus to FA to prove a point & he found out the Steelers were correct. He is costing the Steelers 5 mil this year and I don't see the Steelers handing him more money unless injuries pile up. I'm as big a fan of Harrison as anyone in here. Great things don't last forever. The hardest part is knowing when to move on. It is time.

blacknblue80s
04-02-2013, 10:49 AM
It's amazing that there are fans that don't remember how James stood out every time he was on the field whether it was special teams, preseason, or when he finally played because of Porter being ejected for fighting. Didn't he have like 3 sacks and some forced fumbles in his 1st start? He pretty much took the game over...

It was a tragedy that he wasn't starting over Hagans or Foote.

I also hope that Worilds is the next great Steelers LB, just haven't seen it yet.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-02-2013, 11:01 AM
It's amazing that there are fans that don't remember how James stood out every time he was on the field whether it was special teams, preseason, or when he finally played because of Porter being ejected for fighting. Didn't he have like 3 sacks and some forced fumbles in his 1st start? He pretty much took the game over...

It was a tragedy that he wasn't starting over Hagans or Foote.

I also hope that Worilds is the next great Steelers LB, just haven't seen it yet.

In his first start he had 6 tackles & 1 sack. In his next 4 starts of the same year he totaled 10 tackles & 0 sacks.

In 4 years before Harrison became a fulltime starter he notched 8 starts with 110 TT & 4 sacks.
Worilds in 3 years has 10 starts with 82 TT & 10 sacks. By the numbers, it looks promising.

Watching Harrison early his ST play stood out and he looked to have potential in position reps. Nobody saw the BOOM of who we know as James Harrison. We can only hope we see another.

Oviedo
04-02-2013, 11:25 AM
All he's done was body slam a Browns fan ? What about defensive player of the year ? Other teams keying on him ? A quarterbacks nightmare ? Turning the tides in the Super Bowl ?
Allowing the rest of the defense to be better ? I keep hearing that Worilds did a bit better in a shorter amount of time for a few plays or a couple of games but, that doesn't map out his career. James has been the real deal for a while now.
Age, injuries and money has caught up to Harrison now and we will learn what Worilds has to offer. I hope Worilds is the next super star at linebacker.

Read close, the comment about slamming the fan was what did he do before becoming a starter.

blacknblue80s
04-02-2013, 11:35 AM
In his first start he had 6 tackles & 1 sack. In his next 4 starts of the same year he totaled 10 tackles & 0 sacks.

In 4 years before Harrison became a fulltime starter he notched 8 starts with 110 TT & 4 sacks.
Worilds in 3 years has 10 starts with 82 TT & 10 sacks. By the numbers, it looks promising.

Watching Harrison early his ST play stood out and he looked to have potential in position reps. Nobody saw the BOOM of who we know as James Harrison. We can only hope we see another.
The biggest difference, just going off of watching games, is that Harrison really stood out and looked unblockable at times. Worilds has been easily blocked by scrubs as well as NFL starters. The stats just don't tell the whole story IMO.

Oviedo
04-02-2013, 12:36 PM
The biggest difference, just going off of watching games, is that Harrison really stood out and looked unblockable at times. Worilds has been easily blocked by scrubs as well as NFL starters. The stats just don't tell the whole story IMO.

Harrison was definitely not unblockable last year or the year before. Hence his departure because he isn't going to get better.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-02-2013, 12:39 PM

I watched the same games and Harrison didn't look unblockable before he became a full time starter. He was a head hunter on STs and struggled with reading & assignments when he did get snaps on D. His limited athleticism hurt his recovery when he took false steps. That was one of the reasons it took him a little time to see the field. Playing behind a Pro Bowler didn't help his situation either. The one thing that Harrison showed early in his pass rush was that he had an ability to use his lack of height to his advantage against big OTs for leverage. That only amplified with experience and his dedication to the weight room. The Harrison that made his mark in the NFL came along only after years of dedication in the weight room and gaining experience in his limited snaps...And he made his mark.

Worilds has been no different in his struggles early on. He has been more productive stat wise over his first three years. He too is playing behind Pro Bowlers. The one difference that sticks out is he is a much better athlete than Harrison ever was. His athleticism allows him to recover from his mistakes. As he gains the experience this year as a full time starter and his new dedication in the weight room...Who knows what path he will follow. There are all questions with the answers to follow. Nobody can say the outlook is any better or worse by comparing both players play on the field early in their careers. There is no hindsight argument because Harrison didn't show ANY signs of being great when he first put on his helmet. The outcome was far better than the preview. All we can do is hope that story will be written again.

thor75
04-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Even if Harrison was signed and turned into the James of past, the rest of the defense is in trouble with injuries, old age and players that are untested or are flops like Ziggy and Heyward.

I really hope Heyward is not a flop. Hard to beat Keisel to get playing time though. Hood on the other hand... I'm not saying he is a bad player but I don't see the impact that usually comes with being a first rounder. He's an average starter imo

Oviedo
04-02-2013, 12:54 PM
I watched the same games and Harrison didn't look unblockable before he became a full time starter. He was a head hunter on STs and struggled with reading & assignments when he did get snaps on D. His limited athleticism hurt his recovery when he took false steps. That was one of the reasons it took him a little time to see the field. Playing behind a Pro Bowler didn't help his situation either. The one thing that Harrison showed early in his pass rush was that he had an ability to use his lack of height to his advantage against big OTs for leverage. That only amplified with experience and his dedication to the weight room. The Harrison that made his mark in the NFL came along only after years of dedication in the weight room and gaining experience in his limited snaps...And he made his mark.

Worilds has been no different in his struggles early on. He has been more productive stat wise over his first three years. He too is playing behind Pro Bowlers. The one difference that sticks out is he is a much better athlete than Harrison ever was. His athleticism allows him to recover from his mistakes. As he gains the experience this year as a full time starter and his new dedication in the weight room...Who knows what path he will follow. There are all questions with the answers to follow. Nobody can say the outlook is any better or worse by comparing both players play on the field early in their careers. There is no hindsight argument because Harrison didn't show ANY signs of being great when he first put on his helmet. The outcome was far better than the preview. All we can do is hope that story will be written again.

Bravo.:Bow:Bow:Bow An individual who remembers how it really was and applies rational thought. Refreshing.

fezziwig
04-02-2013, 01:14 PM
If Worilds was ready to start, why did the Steelers make Harrison an offer ? Have the Steelers given any interviews to FA linebackers this season ? I don't see the Steelers that comfortable with Worilds a this time.
As I said before, I'm a bit torn with Harrison not comeing back but, be it Worilds or whomever that takes his spot, I'd like to know as soon as possible if the guy can handle the job.

thor75
04-02-2013, 01:28 PM
If Worilds was ready to start, why did the Steelers make Harrison an offer ? Have the Steelers given any interviews to FA linebackers this season ? I don't see the Steelers that comfortable with Worilds a this time.

FA OLB Victor Butler visited on his world wide tour

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-02-2013, 01:40 PM
If Worilds was ready to start, why did the Steelers make Harrison an offer ? Have the Steelers given any interviews to FA linebackers this season ? I don't see the Steelers that comfortable with Worilds a this time. As I said before, I'm a bit torn with Harrison not comeing back but, be it Worilds or whomever that takes his spot, I'd like to know as soon as possible if the guy can handle the job.They made Harrison an offer because he had two years and signing bonus dollars in his pocket and the fact that they have no depth. Harrison still has value if you cut down on his snaps. With his release, the Steelers are an injury away from having Carter or Robinson or a rookie start. Not where they want to be. They wanted Butler to compete and add depth hence the 3 mil reported range. You would have seen decreased snaps for Harrison & increase snaps for Worilds if Harrison was retained. I think the Steelers are fine with the thought of Worilds getting his shot to prove he is capable. I think the Steelers are uncomfortable with the lack of depth and competition behind Worilds & Woodley. Woodley isn't exactly standing on thick ice after that 2012 season. They need someone to call on during the season if he doesn't respond. Putting all your hope on the current guys on the roster and 1 or 2 rookies isn't exactly smart football. I understand the process & urgency they are going through. It just leaves alot of questions until everything unfolds after the draft.

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
They made Harrison an offer because he had two years and signing bonus dollars in his pocket and the fact that they have no depth. Harrison still has value if you cut down on his snaps. With his release, the Steelers are an injury away from having Carter or Robinson or a rookie start. Not where they want to be. They wanted Butler to compete and add depth hence the 3 mil reported range. You would have seen decreased snaps for Harrison & increase snaps for Worilds if Harrison was retained. I think the Steelers are fine with the thought of Worilds getting his shot to prove he is capable. I think the Steelers are uncomfortable with the lack of depth and competition behind Worilds & Woodley. Woodley isn't exactly standing on thick ice after that 2012 season. They need someone to call on during the season if he doesn't respond. Putting all your hope on the current guys on the roster and 1 or 2 rookies isn't exactly smart football. I understand the process & urgency they are going through. It just leaves alot of questions until everything unfolds after the draft.

great post! $$$$

if I were the Steelers I also would feel uneasy about the depth at OLB with Worilds and Woodley's injury histories...

blacknblue80s
04-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Bravo.:Bow:Bow:Bow An individual who remembers how it really was and applies rational thought. Refreshing.
LOL. So only people that agree with you are able to apply rational thought. :eek:

Maybe you both missed the preseason games that myself and many others watched, that had people calling for James to start over Hagans or Foote. He stood out in preseason at both ILB and OLB.

I really hope you guys are right about Worilds. Maybe he will finally show the ability to beat an OT. I've seen him get to QBs unblocked and against RBs. And again, he looked average against scrubs in preseason games.

blacknblue80s
04-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Harrison was definitely not unblockable last year or the year before. Hence his departure because he isn't going to get better.
We were talking about the comparison of their early careers.

There's no arguing Harrison's decline the last 2 years. I just haven't seen anything that inspires confidence that Worilds is anything more than average as his replacement.

fezziwig
04-02-2013, 04:14 PM
I would feel uneasy about our safties. our corners, our tightends and the ever lovable offensive line in addition our aging and the youthful linebackers. What the heck, might as well throw the defensive line in the mix also.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-02-2013, 04:45 PM
LOL. So only people that agree with you are able to apply rational thought. :eek:

Maybe you both missed the preseason games that myself and many others watched, that had people calling for James to start over Hagans or Foote. He stood out in preseason at both ILB and OLB.

I really hope you guys are right about Worilds. Maybe he will finally show the ability to beat an OT. I've seen him get to QBs unblocked and against RBs. And again, he looked average against scrubs in preseason games.

I watched every pre, reg, & post season game since I was single digits. Nobody was calling for Harrison because of James Harrison early on. They were calling for an upgrade because Porter & Haggans put up 7 & 6 after coming off a combined 19.5 in the regular season in '05 SB win and then finishing 8-8. They had no intensions of giving Porter another contract or his 1 mil roster bonus and Porter wasn't going to play out his final year. Release Porter enter Harrison. Haggans has a 4 sack '07 while Harrison has 8.5 in his starting role. Some rookie named Woodley comes in on limited snaps and get 4 sacks in the regular season while notching 2 in 1 post season game spelling Haggans. Haggans leaves via FA the following year. That is what got us to 2012.

The only players that stood out in that time period at LB from the reserve role were Woodley & Timmons. The staff injected them on the field to take reps from Haggans & Foote because their talent had to get on the field. They pushed the vets out the door. Harrison & Worilds shared a different situation. They both were two back-up OLBs sitting behind aging high priced vets who showed enough promise in their limited snaps to warrant a shot at starting. That gave/gives the Steelers flexibilty with the vet and his future/current contract situation. The Harrison-Porter swap turned out great for the Steelers. We can only hope the Harrison-Worilds does the same. To be honest, I feel exactly the same way I did when Porter was released....Upset but cautiously optimistic.

Oviedo
04-02-2013, 04:58 PM
I watched every pre, reg, & post season game since I was single digits. Nobody was calling for Harrison because of James Harrison early on. They were calling for an upgrade because Porter & Haggans put up 7 & 6 after coming off a combined 19.5 in the regular season in '05 SB win and then finishing 8-8. They had no intensions of giving Porter another contract or his 1 mil roster bonus and Porter wasn't going to play out his final year. Release Porter enter Harrison. Haggans has a 4 sack '07 while Harrison has 8.5 in his starting role. Some rookie named Woodley comes in on limited snaps and get 4 sacks in the regular season while notching 2 in 1 post season game spelling Haggans. Haggans leaves via FA the following year. That is what got us to 2012.

The only players that stood out in that time period at LB from the reserve role were Woodley & Timmons. The staff injected them on the field to take reps from Haggans & Foote because their talent had to get on the field. They pushed the vets out the door. Harrison & Worilds shared a different situation. They both were two back-up OLBs sitting behind aging high priced vets who showed enough promise in their limited snaps to warrant a shot at starting. That gave/gives the Steelers flexibilty with the vet and his future/current contract situation. The Harrison-Porter swap turned out great for the Steelers. We can only hope the Harrison-Worilds does the same. To be honest, I feel exactly the same way I did when Porter was released....Upset but cautiously optimistic.

I agree. I feel the same way as you.

papillon
04-02-2013, 09:37 PM
I must be missing something about the Steeler defense last year and maybe those who know the X's and O's can help me out or correct my misremembering.

Early in the season (first 4 games, maybe 5), Polamalu and Harrison are on the sideline or just coming back and the run defense is getting gashed pretty good. Harrison starts playing and they are still getting it handed to them for a few games, Polamalu re-injures calf muscle and is now out until week 11 or 12. Harrison continues to play, Woodley is dinged and/or ineffective, but as the games go on the run defense is becoming more stout. When Polamalu returns with 3 or 4 games to go the defense as a whole becomes the dominant unit and is turning in performances that keep them in games.

I'm sure I missed a few things here and there, but for the most part that's it, the D-line was healthy, Timmons and Foote were healthy, Ike was healthy until the 15th game and Lewis and Clark were playing really good football. The twio differences are Harrison and Polamalu are now healthy. I guess Im not seeing this steep decline in the play of Harrison that many see. If Harrison's play declined to the point that he can't get a job, then what was the difference in the defense form the beginning of the year to the end?

Pappy

Oviedo
04-02-2013, 10:20 PM
I must be missing something about the Steeler defense last year and maybe those who know the X's and O's can help me out or correct my misremembering.

Early in the season (first 4 games, maybe 5), Polamalu and Harrison are on the sideline or just coming back and the run defense is getting gashed pretty good. Harrison starts playing and they are still getting it handed to them for a few games, Polamalu re-injures calf muscle and is now out until week 11 or 12. Harrison continues to play, Woodley is dinged and/or ineffective, but as the games go on the run defense is becoming more stout. When Polamalu returns with 3 or 4 games to go the defense as a whole becomes the dominant unit and is turning in performances that keep them in games.

I'm sure I missed a few things here and there, but for the most part that's it, the D-line was healthy, Timmons and Foote were healthy, Ike was healthy until the 15th game and Lewis and Clark were playing really good football. The twio differences are Harrison and Polamalu are now healthy. I guess Im not seeing this steep decline in the play of Harrison that many see. If Harrison's play declined to the point that he can't get a job, then what was the difference in the defense form the beginning of the year to the end?

Pappy

First six games of the season the Steelers were 3-3 and the last six they were 2-4. Guess I don't see what a difference maker Harrison was those last six games that everyone cites as evidence he was "coming on." The fact is that Harrison hasn't been a difference maker for two seasons now and the Steelers were right not to hope he was this year for millions of dollars more than he should get.

blacknblue80s
04-03-2013, 01:40 AM

I was actually talking about preseasons between 2004 and 2006. It was just myself and a few other posters over at the Trib board calling for James to start over Foote and or Hagans. I'm surprised he didn't make an impression on you too. He was a beast playing at ILB in particular but also some at OLB. He dominated lesser competition and I just didn't see that from Worilds.

I'm trying to be optimistic but despite Worilds stats he just hasn't been impressive to me. I am feeling a bit better after reading yours and Oviedo's posts though. :Cheers

ikestops85
04-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Pappy

A big part of the turnaround on the defensive side was when Mundy was benched, Allen started at FS and Clark moved to SS. Clark was a beast at SS and he and Allen played very well together. When Troy was inserted back into the lineup the defense slipped for a couple of games until he got his game legs back. I agree Harrison getting better physically during the year also helped the defense.

phillyesq
04-04-2013, 09:22 AM
First six games of the season the Steelers were 3-3 and the last six they were 2-4. Guess I don't see what a difference maker Harrison was those last six games that everyone cites as evidence he was "coming on." The fact is that Harrison hasn't been a difference maker for two seasons now and the Steelers were right not to hope he was this year for millions of dollars more than he should get.

How many of those last six games were started by Batch? Ben threw 2 of them away with INTs. How is that reflective of the play of Harrison?

feltdizz
04-04-2013, 09:52 AM
How many of those last six games were started by Batch? Ben threw 2 of them away with INTs. How is that reflective of the play of Harrison?

yeah.. that makes no sense at all...

Oviedo
04-04-2013, 12:34 PM

That is exactly the point. If you buy that Harrison was a world beater at the end of the season, and he wasn't, it still made no difference because it is what happens on the offense that makes a difference. Harrison can't control the outcome of the game and he isn't worth $4M per year hoping that he can. Take that money and make the offense better because that is what will determine our future.

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Five teams reportedly interested in James Harrison

April 4, 2013 by Paul Jackiewicz

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, James Harrison’s agent Bill Parise told him that five teams are interested in his client. He wouldn’t go into any further details.

It sounds like to me that Harrison’s agent is looking to build up some interest for his client. If teams were really interested in him, he would have visited them already.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/five_teams_reportedly_interested_in_james_harrison/13314886

Oviedo
04-05-2013, 07:31 AM

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, James Harrison’s agent Bill Parise told him that five teams are interested in his client. He wouldn’t go into any further details.

It sounds like to me that Harrison’s agent is looking to build up some interest for his client. If teams were really interested in him, he would have visited them already.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/five_teams_reportedly_interested_in_james_harrison/13314886

He'll probably get signed but I think the interest in him is mild at best. He will sign for less than the Steelers ofered. Bad move James.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-05-2013, 08:14 AM
His agent might be trying to get an interested party to do something in fear of losing out before the draft. With the lack of reported team vistits & teams officials expressing interest Harrison could be headed for a post week 1 signing if a team doesn't lose a starter to injury.

Oviedo
04-05-2013, 08:35 AM
His agent might be trying to get an interested party to do something in fear of losing out before the draft. With the lack of reported team vistits & teams officials expressing interest Harrison could be headed for a post week 1 signing if a team doesn't lose a starter to injury.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. He is likely viewed as an injury risk by those who view this logically from a business sense and not emotionally as fan love.

Northern_Blitz
04-05-2013, 10:36 AM
You have to think someone will offer him something after the draft.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-05-2013, 10:57 AM
You have to think someone will offer him something after the draft.

It is possible if someone misses and they feel who they got won't be ready year 1. After the draft, teams release more players to make salary room and the "fall out" of who they draft. The pool of FA for his postion may get bigger. I'm sure the goal all along was to get signed before the draft. The thing he will have working against him is his salary will be guranteed if he is on a roster for week 1. That week 2 period is where you see the vets still on the street start signing the vet min.

Sugar
04-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Somebody will give him a deal, but I would be surprised if it's before the draft. There is really no hurry now, unless you buy what the agent is saying.

squidkid
04-05-2013, 12:27 PM

of those
james is gonna have to decide which of those 5 teams 7+ million a year he's gonna take