PDA

View Full Version : Dan Connor Visisting Steelers

calmkiller
03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Dan Connor visiting the Steelers (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/12/dan-connor-visiting-the-steelers/)
Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/connor.jpg?w=250 APOn Monday, the Cowboys dumped veteran linebacker Dan Connor (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4693/dan-connor).
On Tuesday, Connor has plans to head back to his home state. (OK, Commonwealth.)
Connor will visit the Steelers, according to Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com.
The 3-4 inside linebacker fits the Steelers’ typical free-agency profile. That is, guys who can be gotten cheaply.
And Connor could end up being a contributor, especially if Lawrence Timmons (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4195/lawrence-timmons) slides outside to fill the void created by the departure of James Harrison (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/665/james-harrison).
Actually, that could be the best plan for Pittsburgh. With Timmons already under contract for the long haul and with pass rushers more pricey than inside linebackers, the Steelers would be wise to at least consider using Timmons on the outside and acquiring more help for the inside.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Fits the mold. He was cut and won't impact comp picks. Will come cheap. Could be a signing talked about for years to come. One mans trash...

Siggy00
03-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Goodell bent over the Cowboys so they are in cap hell.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-12-2013, 11:45 AM
as soon as i saw this cut, i thought, "he'll be a Steeler this fall" cuz he does fit the mold. Honestly, I hope it means bye bye Foote...

REALLY like it if he signs...

Siggy00
03-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Foote supposedly is going to Arizona.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-12-2013, 11:52 AM
What Siggy said. Foote may not leave Arizona without a contract.

Slapstick
03-12-2013, 11:56 AM
I was under the impression that comp picks may be impacted by any free agent signing...Dallas wouldn't be entitled to any comp picks in return because he was cut...

SteelerOfDeVille
03-12-2013, 12:00 PM
What Siggy said. Foote may not leave Arizona without a contract.

sweet... i'm really good with that, too!

Slapstick
03-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Connor started 8 games last year and 11 the year before...

I'd take him...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-12-2013, 12:04 PM
I was under the impression that comp picks may be impacted by any free agent signing...Dallas wouldn't be entitled to any comp picks in return because he was cut...

I'm talking our comp picks. If we sign a FA that was "Cut" it doesn't impact our comp picks. If we sign an URFA, it is used in the formula against our losses. Signing a Breaston, Connor, Wells, etc. doesn't impact what we may receive if we lose Wallace, Mendy, Lewis, etc.

phillyesq
03-12-2013, 12:05 PM
I haven't followed Connor much, but looking at his stats, I'm not sure that he is actually an upgrade over Foote:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ConnDa99.htm

In any event, I'd rather see the Steelers keep Timmons inside. He was awful as an OLB. If I recall, he got no pressure despite being asked to rush quite a bit due to his unfamiliarity with the other responsibilities.

Slapstick
03-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Speaking of comp picks, the Steelers may receive one for Willie Gay last year...

Chadman
03-12-2013, 12:19 PM
It would be difficult to not be happy with Conner being signed..

Shawn
03-12-2013, 12:20 PM
as soon as i saw this cut, i thought, "he'll be a Steeler this fall" cuz he does fit the mold. Honestly, I hope it means bye bye Foote...

REALLY like it if he signs...

Preach it brother SoD. Connor>Foote

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-12-2013, 12:29 PM
I haven't followed Connor much, but looking at his stats, I'm not sure that he is actually an upgrade over Foote:

In any event, I'd rather see the Steelers keep Timmons inside. He was awful as an OLB. If I recall, he got no pressure despite being asked to rush quite a bit due to his unfamiliarity with the other responsibilities.

He would be a 5 year younger - cheaper "lateral" signing at worst imo. He is more athletic and better in coverage than Foote is right now. Bigger thing would be he could play ST. I was hearing Foote still wanted to be paid like a starter for 2 more years and the Steelers have him tagged as insurance & want to pay him accordingly. Foote will make some rounds to help his market and the Steelers will protect themselves.

steelz09
03-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Connor would be a good, smart signing.

A guy that is talented but on 2 crappy teams. He fits our system, he is only 27 and we could probably get him for very cheap.... cheaper than Foote and probably no loss in productivity. He fills a void and gives Spence some more time.

With that being said, I still wouldn't be surprised if a ILB is picked in the first three rounds of the draft.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Speaking of comp picks, the Steelers may receive one for Willie Gay last year...
You are correct. Projected as a 7th round comp.

Chadman
03-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Connor would be a good, smart signing.

A guy that is talented but on 2 crappy teams. He fits our system, he is only 27 and we could probably get him for very cheap.... cheaper than Foote and probably no loss in productivity. He fills a void and gives Spence some more time.

With that being said, I still wouldn't be surprised if a ILB is picked in the first three rounds of the draft.

Timmons, Conner, Rolle, Spence.... no real need for a rookie.

BigRob
03-12-2013, 12:34 PM

He has started games, but never gone a full 16. That is why his stats are what they are. He's a younger Larry Foote. He'll be 28 this year. That is a good thing.

They will keep Timmons inside. They will not move him outside. Butler said it was a huge mistake and set him back in 2011.

BigRob
03-12-2013, 12:37 PM

Spence is likely to not recover from his injury. He has nerve damage and has what's called "drop-foot". Can't count on him for this year at least.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-12-2013, 12:41 PM
You are correct. Projected as a 7th round comp.

wonder if the fact that he's back would impact that at all...

steelz09
03-12-2013, 12:48 PM

So we're ok with being substandard? I get it.

Spence may never recover and Rolle. Rolle might not even make the team let alone be starter material. Let's not have scrubs for linebackers please.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-12-2013, 12:50 PM
yeah, outside of timmons those ILBs don't inspire a lot of confidence

Coolie Man
03-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Foote played well and often last year. He's better than Connor.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Foote played often last year. He's worse than Connor.
there... i fixed it for ya... :p

J/K... I think it's pretty close between the two, actually... however, I suspect, Connor will come at a cheaper price tag AND because he's a few years younger - he could be a stop-gap this year, but, a long-term backup for both ILBs... it's like when Harrison backed up Porter and Haggans - you felt really good that he'd come in and be just fine.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-12-2013, 01:16 PM
wonder if the fact that he's back would impact that at all...

As far as I know it wouldn't. The formula is based upon signing year contract & awards.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Spence is likely to not recover from his injury. He has nerve damage and has what's called "drop-foot". Can't count on him for this year at least.

What was said is he suffered damage to the peroneal nerve. The reports detailed that type of injury can contribute to drop foot depending on the severity of it. Colbert didn't express what Spence's situation was. That being said, I think the Steelers plans will be to conduct business without counting on Spence for 2013. The draft could very possibly answer the severity question.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
What was said is he suffered damage to the peroneal nerve. The reports detailed that type of injury can contribute to drop foot depending on the severity of it. Colbert didn't express what Spence's situation was. That being said, I think the Steelers plans will be to conduct business without counting on Spence for 2013. The draft could very possibly answer the severity question.
the writer here does a good job of explaining the foot drop and gives a few examples of people we may remember (Robert Edwards, for example)
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-sean-spence-peroneal-nerve-damage-knee/

Indeed... there was already questions about his size, although he seemed to be a beast in a small package. Let's hope he can return, but, I'd play it as if the team needs a long term LB - it's not as if they KNEW he'd be a stud... they had fingers crossed. :-)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-12-2013, 02:13 PM
the writer here does a good job of explaining the foot drop and gives a few examples of people we may remember (Robert Edwards, for example)
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-sean-spence-peroneal-nerve-damage-knee/

Indeed... there was already questions about his size, although he seemed to be a beast in a small package. Let's hope he can return, but, I'd play it as if the team needs a long term LB - it's not as if they KNEW he'd be a stud... they had fingers crossed. :-)

Colbert didn't go on to say Spence is suffering from foot drop. He said Spence suffered damage to the peroneal nerve. I hope it isn't the case.

I don't know if they would view Connor as a long term solution until they see him in the system. I also don't think it would be necessary to use a pick inside the first three rounds if they did bring Connor in unless a "free fall" happens to someone. The Steelers have been pretty successful in the middle with a Batman & Robin combo. We have Batman. Robin shouldn't be that hard to find. We just need to make sure we have Thor & Hulk Outside. Last year we had the Blob & Profesor X.

steelz09
03-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Foot Drop / Peroneal Nerve Damage Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7-L9MFRXD8

supersteeler
03-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Anyone think we could possibly sign both Foote and Conner? That way we have some experienced depth since they didn't offer Sylvester a tender.

phillyesq
03-12-2013, 02:42 PM
With Foote back in the mix, I wonder if the Steelers will still look at Connor for depth.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-12-2013, 02:49 PM
I would say if you could get Connor on the cheap you sign him too. Very nice depth at ILB especially if Rolle pans out. PUP Spence & posible IR. Give him a year to heal. Take ILB out of the draft. Curious to see the Foote deal. May be difficult if Connor wants a chance to start.

steelz09
03-12-2013, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't keep ILB out of the draft at all.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Colbert didn't go on to say Spence is suffering from foot drop. He said Spence suffered damage to the peroneal nerve. I hope it isn't the case.

I don't know if they would view Connor as a long term solution until they see him in the system. I also don't think it would be necessary to use a pick inside the first three rounds if they did bring Connor in unless a "free fall" happens to someone. The Steelers have been pretty successful in the middle with a Batman & Robin combo. We have Batman. Robin shouldn't be that hard to find. We just need to make sure we have Thor & Hulk Outside. Last year we had the Blob & Profesor X.
He's very good, but, he's not exactly the tackling machine... My problem is for all Timmons did this past year, I still think he's a Robin... Arguably the best darned 34 ILB "Robin" there is in the league at this point -- SF may dispute, but, that's the point... I want a Bowman + Willis....

btw: blob --fat; professor X -- injured/handicap <--- BRILLIANT

papillon
03-12-2013, 04:13 PM
With Foote back in the mix, I wonder if the Steelers will still look at Connor for depth.

Or, vice versa?

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
03-12-2013, 06:18 PM
He has nerve damage and has what's called "drop-foot".

He's letting that keep him out? What a pu$$$...

j/k:D

Rara
03-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Really wanted Dan Connor here..even when the draft was going on (but was picked before we were up in the third). Still really want him in Pittsburgh...but I think that was shattered when Larry Foote signed a 3-year deal. Damn it.

skyhawk
03-12-2013, 06:54 PM
I want Foote AND Conner.

What's with all the hate of Foote? I just don't get it. He leads the team in tackles and sacks and everyone wants him gone? He has the best season of his career WITHOUT the benefit of Harrison and Woodley playing at a high level. What gives???

Rara
03-12-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm not hating on Foote, if you're directing that towards me. He knows the system, a little bit older...but would have rather gotten Connor instead of Foote. Ohh well.

skyhawk
03-12-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm not hating on Foote, if you're directing that towards me. He knows the system, a little bit older...but would have rather gotten Connor instead of Foote. Ohh well.

Yeah, wasn't directed at you. Many on page 1 and 2 of this thread were. Can we not get Foote AND Conner now that Foote is signed?

skyhawk
03-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT)
--
--
--
--
--

Foote. Just to remind everyone. The guy was all over the place last year. Oh, and he hasn't been hurt. I can't remember him ever being hurt. How is that possible, playing for the Steelers? ;)