PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown the latest to describe a divided Steeler locker room last season

RuthlessBurgher
02-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Antonio Brown says the Steelers’ locker room was divided last year
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 20, 2013, 12:59 PM EST

Steelers receiver Antonio Brown says his third year with the team was a lot different than his first two.

Brown said on SportsCenter today that Pittsburgh’s locker room was fractured in the 2012 season, in a way he hadn’t seen previously since being drafted by the Steelers in 2010.

“It was definitely different — guys weren’t really together,” Brown said.

Brown said Steelers safety Troy Polamalu was among the veterans who spoke out and tried to explain to the team that selfish behavior wouldn’t be tolerated. But that talk was apparently not enough.

“That’s when you know you’ve got issues and you’ve got to come together as a team. Because the reality of a team game is everyone on the same page, committed to the same thing, dedicated for one goal, and that’s winning,” Brown said.

Although he didn’t name any names, Brown said he thought he had teammates last year who cared more about their individual goals than about the team’s record. And he described going 8-8 as “a bitter taste” that he hopes will motivate all of his teammates to act differently in 2013.

“Everyone in our locker room in 2013 has to understand the value of being in there and what our tradition and history stand for,” Brown said.

Brown said he agrees with Steelers defensive coordinator that the Steelers could have done what the Ravens did and gone on a run to the Super Bowl.

“He’s right on — we definitely had the talent, the pieces in the right place to do some things,” Brown said. “But winning is not talent. It’s all about being on the same page, and each guy having the guy next to him’s back, and being committed to winning. You see a Ravens team that was committed to winning and togetherness, and that’s what it’s all about.”

For Pittsburgh fans, hearing a Steeler say the team needs to be more like the Ravens is, indeed, a bitter pill to swallow.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/20/antonio-brown-says-the-steelers-locker-room-was-divided-last-year/

lloydroid
02-20-2013, 03:05 PM
My oh my, and some ridiculed me for nailing this. I said the locker room was obviously fractured and some said I couldn't know that. Hmmmm, it looks like I knew exactly what I was talking about. Chalk another one up. And, also, look for this prediction to be true: Losing Wallace and Mendenhall will be addition through subtraction. The team will enjoy better chemistry without those malcontents around. You will see Sanders and Brown with much better attitudes and production.

Slapstick
02-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Chalk another one up.

Isn't having one "chalked up" a requirement before you can "chalk another one up"?

feltdizz
02-20-2013, 04:00 PM
My oh my, and some ridiculed me for nailing this. I said the locker room was obviously fractured and some said I couldn't know that. Hmmmm, it looks like I knew exactly what I was talking about. Chalk another one up. And, also, look for this prediction to be true: Losing Wallace and Mendenhall will be addition through subtraction. The team will enjoy better chemistry without those malcontents around. You will see Sanders and Brown with much better attitudes and production.

This board is fractured...

Sugar
02-20-2013, 04:11 PM

If only some posters would leave, it would be addition through subtraction...

Mister Pittsburgh
02-20-2013, 04:16 PM

x2.............

flippy
02-20-2013, 04:32 PM

Chalk another one up for Sugar.

lloydroid
02-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Isn't having one "chalked up" a requirement before you can "chalk another one up"?

You mean like when I predicted Dwyer would be our best back? OK, then.

lloydroid
02-20-2013, 05:16 PM

If you mean "addition through subtraction" in terms of far less board activity, then, yea, you are right. Way to go. Way to engage in complete illogic. Very impressive.

Oviedo
02-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Although he didn’t name any names, Brown said he thought he had teammates last year who cared more about their individual goals than about the team’s record. And he described going 8-8 as “a bitter taste” that he hopes will motivate all of his teammates to act differently in 2013.

“Everyone in our locker room in 2013 has to understand the value of being in there and what our tradition and history stand for,” Brown said.

Sounds like a specific WR who was thinking more about himself from Day 1 than the team last year.

After reading this any doubts about why the Steelers signed Brown as opposed to the other guy?

Chadman
02-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Here we go again- putting 2 + 2 together & coming up with 5 because we want it to be 5.

He could have been referring to any number of under performers last season. The Steelers woes did not hinge on the unhappiness of Mike Wallace, who outperformed Brown...

Was Wallace's attitude part of the problem? Probably. But we are talking symptoms, not causes.

Slapstick
02-20-2013, 07:34 PM
You mean like when I predicted Dwyer would be our best back? OK, then.

By what criteria?

flippy
02-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Here we go again- putting 2 + 2 together & coming up with 5 because we want it to be 5.

He could have been referring to any number of under performers last season. The Steelers woes did not hinge on the unhappiness of Mike Wallace, who outperformed Brown...

Was Wallace's attitude part of the problem? Probably. But we are talking symptoms, not causes.

I think the Brown genuinely likes Wally and there's almost 0 chance he was referring to him.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Sounds like a specific WR who was thinking more about himself from Day 1 than the team last year.

After reading this any doubts about why the Steelers signed Brown as opposed to the other guy?

so very predictable. Everything is wallaces fault.

when ryan clark spoke up about locker room issues, you criticized him harshly. Why not the same for antonio brown? Different rules for different "replaceable carbon units" perhaps?

DukieBoy
02-20-2013, 08:03 PM

​It's all about you.

Chadman
02-20-2013, 08:07 PM

when ryan clark spoke up about locker room issues, you criticized him harshly. Why not the same for antonio brown? Different rules for different "replaceable carbon units" perhaps?

Brown smiles alot & has a nice attitude.

Chadman
02-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Oh... nearly forgot- he signed the contract the Steelers offered.

(of course he signed the contract- it was more than either he or his agent would have hoped for, earlier than they could have hoped for it...)

Mister Pittsburgh
02-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Brown is gonna look great when he returns to running Wallace routes.

Chadman
02-20-2013, 08:27 PM

Sure hope so!

Sugar
02-20-2013, 08:36 PM

It doesn't matter to me how great he looks. Will he be able to start actually scoring TD's? We really need him to start scoring points.

Slapstick
02-20-2013, 10:18 PM
It doesn't matter to me how great he looks. Will he be able to start actually scoring TD's? We really need him to start scoring points.

He scored 5 TDs in 13 games last year...

If he can stay healthy, that would be 6-7 TDs...I'll take it...

Chadman
02-20-2013, 10:22 PM

So with Wallace gone, and Brown moving over to fill the spot- which rookie WR best fits the needs of the Steelers?

Sugar
02-20-2013, 11:08 PM

It's funny, because with that production many here labeled Wallace a slacker. Perhaps we'll get some help in the draft, but there are so many needs I hate to waste a spot on a WR.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-21-2013, 12:21 AM
It's funny, because with that production many here labeled Wallace a slacker. Perhaps we'll get some help in the draft, but there are so many needs I hate to waste a spot on a WR.

Wallace was labeled a slacker due to numerous pathetic efforts on underthrown balls, not to mention far too many drops earlier in the season. TD's have zero to do with turning, seeing the ball underthrown with plenty of time to make a play for it, but instead watching the DB easily knock it away or intercept it as you stand there watching...and in one instance make a pathetic attempt to tackle the guy after the interception.

Slapstick
02-21-2013, 06:53 AM
It's funny, because with that production many here labeled Wallace a slacker.

Slacker? No...

Not worth $10+ million per year? Sure...

Oviedo
02-21-2013, 08:06 AM

Just as predictable as you taking issue with it because of your obsession with Wallace as if we never had a WR until he came along and we should pay him whatever he wants because of what other teams have paid WRs who are far better than he is.

And yes there are different rules because one player has committed to the team after the other refused to.

Oviedo
02-21-2013, 08:17 AM
So with Wallace gone, and Brown moving over to fill the spot- which rookie WR best fits the needs of the Steelers?

Cordarelle Patterson

SteelBucks
02-21-2013, 08:31 AM

It's going to be a long off-season....

Chadman
02-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Cordarelle Patterson

But Cordarelle Patterson isn't a short route, possession type WR. He'd be better served playing Wallace's position. But that is where Brown is to be moved. Not sure that Patterson's skills are best used in Brown's old role.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Just as predictable as you taking issue with it because of your obsession with Wallace as if we never had a WR until he came along and we should pay him whatever he wants because of what other teams have paid WRs who are far better than he is.

And yes there are different rules because one player has committed to the team after the other refused to.

I hate to break this to you ovi, but the obsession with wallace lies with you.

I just find it amusing and hypocritical that you bash other players for certain things while others get a pass for doing the exact same thing. If you can't see the problem there then I don't know what to tell you. And the player I mentioned was ryan clark making comments in the press, but somehow you turned it around on wallace again. Obsession.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-21-2013, 10:53 AM
But Cordarelle Patterson isn't a short route, possession type WR. He'd be better served playing Wallace's position. But that is where Brown is to be moved. Not sure that Patterson's skills are best used in Brown's old role.

I would rather see your guy DaRick Rogers. I think he brings the physicality we desperately need at that position.

Oviedo
02-21-2013, 10:56 AM
I hate to break this to you ovi, but the obsession with wallace lies with you.

I just find it amusing and hypocritical that you bash other players for certain things while others get a pass for doing the exact same thing. If you can't see the problem there then I don't know what to tell you. And the player I mentioned was ryan clark making comments in the press, but somehow you turned it around on wallace again. Obsession.

Who did I give a pass to that acted the same way as Wallace this past season? Waiting?

Eddie Spaghetti
02-21-2013, 10:57 AM
the original post was about you criticizing ryan clark for mouthing off in the press and not antonio brown.

its not that hard to figure out.

Snatch98
02-21-2013, 03:21 PM

Lol, you are a ridiculous human being. Now that, that is out of the way I don't think Mendenhall is going anywhere and he certainly wasn't one of the guys "worried about individual goals" as he barely played. I wouldn't have gone that route but if I were in his position and I was made inactive for several games while others that also fumbled were active I'd be pretty disgruntled. Mendenhall in a zone blocking scheme will be electric and he's not going to cost a lot of money. There were already rumors of his contract talks, don't be surprised to see him stick around.

lloydroid
02-21-2013, 04:02 PM

Probably? You do get to watch the games down there, right? It couldn't have possibly been more obvious.

lloydroid
02-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Lol, you are a ridiculous human being. Now that, that is out of the way I don't think Mendenhall is going anywhere and he certainly wasn't one of the guys "worried about individual goals" as he barely played. I wouldn't have gone that route but if I were in his position and I was made inactive for several games while others that also fumbled were active I'd be pretty disgruntled. Mendenhall in a zone blocking scheme will be electric and he's not going to cost a lot of money. There were already rumors of his contract talks, don't be surprised to see him stick around.

Only way Spinden/fumble-hall comes back is if no other team offers him even a decent contract. If Pgh gets him for a song, then maybe. But having a moping, disgruntled fumbler on the team isn't a positive, last time I checked.

lloydroid
02-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Who did I give a pass to that acted the same way as Wallace this past season? Waiting?

Keep waiting. When you refute this one's assertion in the context of logic, he bails.

Oviedo
02-21-2013, 04:13 PM
the original post was about you criticizing ryan clark for mouthing off in the press and not antonio brown.

its not that hard to figure out.

Let me restate the question since you avoided answering it:

"Who did I give a pass to that acted the same way as Wallace this past season?"

Eddie Spaghetti
02-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Let me restate the question since you avoided answering it:

"Who did I give a pass to that acted the same way as Wallace this past season?"

I'm not avoiding anything. Apparently, you can't read today.

I simply asked why you didn't criticize antonio brown the same way you criticized ryan clark about mouthing off in the press.

its not hard to figure out. You're a hypocrite when it comes to the "replaceable carbon units" you prefer. Its that simple.

Oviedo
02-21-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm not avoiding anything. Apparently, you can't read today.

I simply asked why you didn't criticize antonio brown the same way you criticized ryan clark about mouthing off in the press.

its not hard to figure out. You're a hypocrite when it comes to the "replaceable carbon units" you prefer. Its that simple.

Because the question I asked was not about that. You changed the subject not me. You initial assetions was I had a different standard for Wallace and Brown and then you interjected Clark which had nothing to do with Wallace and Brown.

I'll just assume you won't answer the question.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-21-2013, 04:47 PM
I said nothing about wallace. That was you.

keep spinning.

lloydroid
02-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Because the question I asked was not about that. You changed the subject not me. You initial assetions was I had a different standard for Wallace and Brown and then you interjected Clark which had nothing to do with Wallace and Brown.

I'll just assume you won't answer the question.

:Clap:smile:;-):owned That is hilarious

steelz09
02-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Our leaders were provided by Cowher's players. Now that they are gone, we really don't have any... including Roethlisberger.

supersteeler
02-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Our leaders were provided by Cowher's players. Now that they are gone, we really don't have any... including Roethlisberger.

Yeah, basically Hines Ward said the same thing in a article I read @ Steeler depot. He said the locker room is in disarray and commented on leadership being an issue. Colbert has a different opinion but I would think Hines is right on this matter.
Hines and Farrior were good leaders of that team, so now someone else has to emerge to get that locker room squared away. I thought Ryan Clark could be that guy but apparently the players aren't taking his advice seriously.

hawaiiansteel
02-27-2013, 03:37 PM
AB Admits There Was 'Awkwardness' With Mike Wallace

Brown was asked last Wednesday on 98.7 ESPN Radio New York if there was any awkwardness between he and Wallace in the locker room last season because he was the receiver that received the new contract.

"Some bit of awkwardness," said Brown. "You know, a guy who had been there longer than I and definitely wanting a deal, but you gotta not dwell on that and that kind of situation prohibits bad blood to a team where guys are there for themselves, and not buy into the team aspects and could definitely cause a drama within a team."

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-...source=twitter

lloydroid
02-27-2013, 04:14 PM

Then get on up and get out of here.

lloydroid
02-27-2013, 04:28 PM

I think Ben is ever worse than a non-leader; he is a fake leader. Non-leaders just don't lead; they just do their job and don't say much. Fake leaders act in front of the cameras on game day but they players know it's fake, making it worse than a guy who doesn't say anything. Bonehead Ben is a known clown. The players do not respect him, period.

hawaiiansteel
02-28-2013, 01:59 AM
Brown: 'Awkwardness' with Mike Wallace

FEB 26
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown told ESPN last week that there was a division in the Steelers' locker room. Then he told ESPN Radio in New York that his relationship with wide receiver Mike Wallace wasn't exactly perfect after he signed a six-year, $43 million contract during Wallace's holdout last summer.

Asked if there was awkwardness between himself and Wallace last season, Brown said, “Some bit of awkwardness. You know, a guy who has been there longer than I and definitely wanting a deal, but you've got to not dwell on that and that kind of situation prohibits bad blood to a team where guys are there for themselves, and not buy into the team aspects and could definitely cause a drama within a team.”

Could Brown's comments on a divided locker room and Wallace be related? Quite possibly. When Brown said some players weren't on the same page last season, one assumption is he was talking about Wallace, whose contract was on the forefront of his mind.

Just think that a contract could get in the way of the self-proclaimed "Young Money Crew." Tragic. The Steelers won't have to worry about Wallace much longer because it's expected that he'll sign elsewhere when free agency begins next month.

Brown, though, wasn't done describing a lackadaisical Steelers team that finished 8-8 last year, with half of those losses coming to teams with losing records.

"I think guys were going out there thinking, ‘We are the Steelers and we just going to roll into games,’" Brown said. "But we've got to take poise and leadership and understand the importance of winning games and getting on it and taking it seriously and get on with what we've got to do."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/73056/brown-awkwardness-with-mike-wallace