PDA

View Full Version : Mike Adams Sets Sights higher

supersteeler
02-18-2013, 08:22 AM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Adams-sets-his-sights-high/6339bc3b-ecc4-4e32-9e45-11b9434200bf

He prefers to play LT, and maybe he would be the better player between him and Gilbert to play that position. It sure sounds like he's committed to improving his game so we'll find out when the competition begins at training camp.
Getting solid play from our LT position will be a big plus not only protecting Ben but developing our Line into a strong unit of our team.

flippy
02-18-2013, 08:37 AM
He just wants to get paid.

Adams is better suited at RT and I prefer Gilby at LT. I wish these guys were more team focused than me focused. We never hear any guys talking team first anymore.

supersteeler
02-18-2013, 08:45 AM

Adams is better suited at RT and I prefer Gilby at LT. I wish these guys were more team focused than me focused. We never hear any guys talking team first anymore.

I hear ya Flip, but Adams did say he is willing to play anywhere he is needed which would help the team. They both want to play that position so it should be better competiton in camp and the preseason to see who is the best candidate. Personally I have no preference, I just want to see a healthy O-line for crying out loud, we haven't had that for what the last three years?

flippy
02-18-2013, 08:49 AM
I hear ya Flip, but Adams did say he is willing to play anywhere he is needed which would help the team. They both want to play that position so it should be better competiton in camp and the preseason to see who is the best candidate. Personally I have no preference, I just want to see a healthy O-line for crying out loud, we haven't had that for what the last three years?

True. It was more of the writer talking about LT than Adams. I read too fast to catch that at first. I hate these writers sometimes :)

phillyesq
02-18-2013, 10:00 AM
If he wants to play LT, I'm glad that he is setting his objectives high.

I think that he'll end up at RT and Gilbert at LT, but hopefully they make for interesting competition.

Oviedo
02-18-2013, 10:03 AM

I don't care who plays on what side. What I care about is that they are both motivated to battle for the positions and raise their collective performance as a result.

Slapstick
02-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Why in the world does anyone think that Adams is better suited to play RT? What has Gilbert done to show that he can play LT?

It's all just media speculation at this point...

supersteeler
02-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Why in the world does anyone think that Adams is better suited to play RT? What has Gilbert done to show that he can play LT?

It's all just media speculation at this point...

Exactly. To this point neither one has a grip on that position, when the competition is completed we'll see our future LT, hopefully they can even exceed what Max did here as they develope their skills.
For once lets see a healthy O-line for a change, the 49ers O-line played the entire season together not missing any playing time thats what I want to see our O-line do.

flippy
02-18-2013, 11:12 AM

The times I've seen Adams play at LT, he looks too slow. But he's been a dominant run blocker the few games he's played RT. I think the kid's got All Pro potential at RT.

Gilbert's weaker at the point of attack. But I like his feet a little better and think he can develop into a solid LT. Not sure he can be great, let alone good. He reminds me a little of Trai Essex with a little more athleticism. The big question for Gilbert is how hard he'll work to be good. I wouldn't be upset if the Steelers drafted another LT in April.

Slapstick
02-18-2013, 02:24 PM
The times I've seen Adams play at LT, he looks too slow. But he's been a dominant run blocker the few games he's played RT. I think the kid's got All Pro potential at RT.

Gilbert's weaker at the point of attack. But I like his feet a little better and think he can develop into a solid LT. Not sure he can be great, let alone good. He reminds me a little of Trai Essex with a little more athleticism. The big question for Gilbert is how hard he'll work to be good. I wouldn't be upset if the Steelers drafted another LT in April.

I think that Adams has quicker feet than Gilbert...his slowness, IMO, was simply a matter of thinking and then reacting...after a full complement of off season workouts and another training camp, I think he'll be better...

papillon
02-18-2013, 02:35 PM
One thing is for sure, if these guys pan out as expected, Adams, Gilbert, DeCastro and Pouncey (he's already panned out) the Steelers will have to make hay during their first contracts. There will be no way to keep them together if they all progress and become the players that the Steelers believe they will. The Steelers will have a lot of premium picks wrapped up in offensive linemen, two first rounders and two second rounders.

Pappy

Shawn
02-18-2013, 02:40 PM

I would prefer neither one at either position. Two undermotivated sloppy players as our bookends?

Shawn
02-18-2013, 02:46 PM

I wish I could see what you see. Adams is and has always been inconsistent. I mean Kemo could run block...didn't make him a good lineman.

Oviedo
02-18-2013, 03:02 PM
One thing is for sure, if these guys pan out as expected, Adams, Gilbert, DeCastro and Pouncey (he's already panned out) the Steelers will have to make hay during their first contracts. There will be no way to keep them together if they all progress and become the players that the Steelers believe they will. The Steelers will have a lot of premium picks wrapped up in offensive linemen, two first rounders and two second rounders.

Pappy

That is why you can't quit drafting good OL as many want to. You have to have depth and options so you don't get into the situation we have typically done on defense where we invest so much in the players learning an overly complex defense that we have no choice but to resign them.

supersteeler
02-18-2013, 04:31 PM
That is why you can't quit drafting good OL as many want to. You have to have depth and options so you don't get into the situation we have typically done on defense where we invest so much in the players learning an overly complex defense that we have no choice but to resign them.

I wouldn't mind if we drafted a Fisher or Warmack if they were there when we pick, as you said, its good to have depth that can actually play well if needed.
Taking a look at the Steeler team in general, the offensive side of the ball needs the most help. When your O-line is strong everything works off that and more importantly your star QB has a better chance of staying upright and fewer injuries.
Drafting an O-lineman will fall on deaf ears, most likely they won't draft a lineman in the top two rounds and focus on other positions.

Yeah, get that OLB and keep averaging a mere 21 points a game > points :HeadBanger

feltdizz
02-18-2013, 04:34 PM
I would prefer neither one at either position. Two undermotivated sloppy players as our bookends?

I kind of agree... but I'm willing to give Adams another year before declaring him sloppy and under motivated. Gilbert? That dude will end up getting released by the end of next year. He isn't built for the NFL. Physically he has it but mentally he is soft.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-18-2013, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't mind if we drafted a Fisher or Warmack if they were there when we pick, as you said, its good to have depth that can actually play well if needed.
Taking a look at the Steeler team in general, the offensive side of the ball needs the most help. When your O-line is strong everything works off that and more importantly your star QB has a better chance of staying upright and fewer injuries.
Drafting an O-lineman will fall on deaf ears, most likely they won't draft a lineman in the top two rounds and focus on other positions.

Yeah, get that OLB and keep averaging a mere 21 points a game > points :HeadBanger

this team is in no position to be drafting for depth. I am against going OL in the 1st because I feel we have invested in that group enough for them to be successful. No way fisher is there at 17, so if we end up with warmack I won't hate the pick because I believe we would be getting a very good football player. But I won't love it either.

just feel we have bigger needs, and no I don't care one bit about getting an "instant starter" as some here feel is the only valuation of a 1st round draft pick. I'm certainly happy the steelers FO doesn't see it that way.

NJ-STEELER
02-18-2013, 05:22 PM
size wise

adams looks more like the protoypical LT and gilbert the more prototypical RT.

adms also has more experience at LT then gilbert (1 year of LT in college)

NJ-STEELER
02-18-2013, 05:25 PM
this team is in no position to be drafting for depth. I am against going OL in the 1st because I feel we have invested in that group enough for them to be successful. No way fisher is there at 17, so if we end up with warmack I won't hate the pick because I believe we would be getting a very good football player. But I won't love it either.

just feel we have bigger needs, and no I don't care one bit about getting an "instant starter" as some here feel is the only valuation of a 1st round draft pick. I'm certainly happy the steelers FO doesn't see it that way.

plus, should we be drafting for depth in the high rounds?? that doesnt make sense to me. draft for depth in the later rounds.

we did it with worldis, heyward and hood and its come to bite us in the azz

NJ-STEELER
02-18-2013, 05:27 PM

Pappy

you keep the most important postions.
in order
LT, C and then if there's cap room the OG. the other 2 positions can be filled easier

Oviedo
02-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Exactly. To this point neither one has a grip on that position, when the competition is completed we'll see our future LT, hopefully they can even exceed what Max did here as they develope their skills.
For once lets see a healthy O-line for a change, the 49ers O-line played the entire season together not missing any playing time thats what I want to see our O-line do.

It doesn't matter if they can play the position or not. Just make sure we don't draft someone who actually can because we have exceeded our allocation for the OL in the draft.

Slapstick
02-18-2013, 06:57 PM
It doesn't matter if they can play the position or not. Just make sure we don't draft someone who actually can because we have exceeded our allocation for the OL in the draft.

There is nothing "sure" about anything in the draft...I'm "sure" the Steelers think that both Adams and Gilbert are capable of playing LT...just as they would be "sure" of somebody in the draft this year...

Just draft the best player available instead of drafting for need...drafting for need just leads to a bad draft...

supersteeler
02-18-2013, 07:17 PM

I understand your position Eddie, but someone please tell me how we are going to correct our inability to score enough points to win ball games?Check the stats on the Steelers scoring since 2004. Our best years were 24.6 a game and they were few, in this era of football you better be able to score points as we seen two defensive teams in the SB that couldn't stop the other team from scoring.

I realize we have other positions to fill that may supercede an O-lineman, I just hope they include positions that will turn an anemic offense around.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-18-2013, 08:44 PM
the offense must play better. Plain and simple.

seems like every year we hear BR claim that this will finally be the year the offense breaks out and carries its own weight.

I'm waiting.....

phillyesq
02-18-2013, 09:06 PM

We have to yet the young players play. The problem was really that Max Starks and Willie Colon must have been holding back Adams and Beachum.

When it comes to the defense, you have the utmost belief that unproven players must play and that they'll improve on the defense. Why not the same faith in the highly drafted offensive lineman?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Like I tell my kids, I don't want to hear how good you are going to be, show me. Anyone can say it.

Shoe
02-18-2013, 11:29 PM

You said it, Shawn.
People might say, "You guys are like the Bustamalu crowd way back when..." That's NOT the case. Gilbert and especially Adams have game tape going back to college. Guys with this level of supposed athleticism should stand out on the college level--no ifs, ands, or buts. (Whereas a guy like Polamalu dominated college, so anyone with half a brain could excuse any adjustment period he had to make.)

Adams is a bum. In the off-season, he will say the right things (like he apparently did, to convince the brass to pick him after getting busted for GOING TO THE COMBINE HIGH. WHAT F'N IDIOT WOULD DO THAT? I'll tell you who--Adams.) But when push comes to shove, he lacks mental toughness. Same probably with Gilbert. (I have higher hopes for him though, for some reason.) You see guys like Adams come out all the time--major D1 talent, doesn't dominate in college, and come draft time--people mitigate that in some way. He is what he is.

NorthCoast
02-18-2013, 11:33 PM

Yes. Rookies and 2nd year players should always be given the starting role because they are young which automatically makes them better than the established and experienced vets, because we know the vets can't contribute the way the rookies can. Good luck winning consistently with that strategy.

Shawn
02-19-2013, 12:23 AM
You said it, Shawn.
People might say, "You guys are like the Bustamalu crowd way back when..." That's NOT the case. Gilbert and especially Adams have game tape going back to college. Guys with this level of supposed athleticism should stand out on the college level--no ifs, ands, or buts. (Whereas a guy like Polamalu dominated college, so anyone with half a brain could excuse any adjustment period he had to make.)

Adams is a bum. In the off-season, he will say the right things (like he apparently did, to convince the brass to pick him after getting busted for GOING TO THE COMBINE HIGH. WHAT F'N IDIOT WOULD DO THAT? I'll tell you who--Adams.) But when push comes to shove, he lacks mental toughness. Same probably with Gilbert. (I have higher hopes for him though, for some reason.) You see guys like Adams come out all the time--major D1 talent, doesn't dominate in college, and come draft time--people mitigate that in some way. He is what he is.

What is odd is the Steelers rarely make this mistake. The tape on Adams tells a tale of a guy with all the tools, and never put it together.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-19-2013, 12:30 AM
What is odd is the Steelers rarely make this mistake. The tape on Adams tells a tell of a guy with all the tools, and never put it together.

Maybe Colbert smoked a little weed with him before he made the pick...

SteelBucks
02-19-2013, 09:21 AM
What is odd is the Steelers rarely make this mistake. The tape on Adams tells a tale of a guy with all the tools, and never put it together.

Maybe I'm an optimist but I saw improvement from Adams as the season progressed. He's a terrific run blocker who needs work in pass protection. IMO, saying he won't improve in that area is a little short-sighted.

supersteeler
02-19-2013, 09:30 AM
How can anyone of us make a valid evaulation of Adams and Gilbert since they haven't played an extended amount of time? In order to make judgement one way or another I would think we need to see them play a season and hopefully without injury.
From the little time we seen them in action the jury is still out whether they can be an asset to the line, or be a liability.
Even the experts get it wrong when they evauate prospects with thier projections, some players who had fantastic college play don't pan out in the Pro's and some players fall under the radar and have success in the Pro's.

They both had a tough starts to their pro career with inconsistent play, then we seen some flashes of good play from Adams especially in run blocking. Gilbert held his own at RT after he had some snaps, but then both fell to injuries.
When they compete in camp and play in the preseason, we'll have a better idea who will play either position but until we see them play for an extended amount of time the evaluation process will continue.

Usually it takes a few years to evaulate how good a draft pick is, in this case it may be sooner since they got playing time their rookie season, which should help them going into this season. Its the same case with Beachum, the good thing for him is he also got playing time.
IMO, our O-line is young and has potencial to be pretty good, to see that play out continuity is at the forefront, having the same 5 players start will go a long way to determine how good this line can be.

Slapstick
02-19-2013, 12:41 PM

And yet, Adams was considered to be a consensus top offensive tackle in the 2012 draft...most draft ratings had him as the 4th or 5th best OT at worst...the Steelers, apparently, had a first round grade on him as far as talent...

Now, indubitably, failing the drug test is stupid...flat out...

That being said, I don't think that a very late 2nd round pick is too soon for a top 5 tackle prospect...

BradshawsHairdresser
02-19-2013, 03:48 PM
I don't know how Adams will turn out, but as to the title of this thread, I know I don't like to hear "Mike Adams" and "higher" in the same statement.

Oviedo
02-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Maybe I'm an optimist but I saw improvement from Adams as the season progressed. He's a terrific run blocker who needs work in pass protection. IMO, saying he won't improve in that area is a little short-sighted.

I agree. He is a rookie, but the good thing is he is on the offense so he got a chance to play and the coaches saw how he handled real live game action. Now they have something to develop an improvement plan from. Adams also got the taste of live action so he knows what to expect and how he has to respond.

Slapstick
02-19-2013, 05:00 PM
I agree. He is a rookie, but the good thing is he is on the offense so he got a chance to play and the coaches saw how he handled real live game action. Now they have something to develop an improvement plan from. Adams also got the taste of live action so he knows what to expect and how he has to respond.

I agree.

It was just like 2011, when Cortez Allen earned some playing time on defense...he got a taste of live action and performed well in 2012 when his number was called...

BradshawsHairdresser
02-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Hope Adams makes as big an improvement this season as Cortez did last season.

At this point, I'm more worried about Gilbert, the one-man wrecking crew, protecting Ben's blind side...

Oviedo
02-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Hope Adams makes as big an improvement this season as Cortez did last season.

At this point, I'm more worried about Gilbert, the one-man wrecking crew, protecting Ben's blind side...

No need to worry. Everyone wants to look at last year and get convenient amnesia that Gilbert had a very solid rookie campaign and was the team Rookie of the Year. I'll mark last year up to a combination of bad luck and not knowing how to deal with the off season. Perhaps add a little he thought he had it all figured out because of his rookie success. I expect to see a much better Gilbert in '13.

supersteeler
02-19-2013, 06:16 PM
I don't know how Adams will turn out, but as to the title of this thread, I know I don't like to hear "Mike Adams" and "higher" in the same statement.

Ha ha, no more need for weed.

NJ-STEELER
02-19-2013, 06:33 PM
IMo gilbert played very well his rookie year at RT. (wasnt he steelers rookie of the year?)

hopefully he can get back to that level of play

Shawn
02-19-2013, 09:18 PM

Basing an opinion on history isn't short sighted, it's wise. Adams came to tOSU high touted. He underperformed his entire career for the Buckeyes, continually showing a lack of passion, and aggression. To assume anything will ever be different is very optimistic.

Shawn
02-19-2013, 09:21 PM
And yet, Adams was considered to be a consensus top offensive tackle in the 2012 draft...most draft ratings had him as the 4th or 5th best OT at worst...the Steelers, apparently, had a first round grade on him as far as talent...

Now, indubitably, failing the drug test is stupid...flat out...

That being said, I don't think that a very late 2nd round pick is too soon for a top 5 tackle prospect...

We both know why. He is the prototypical size and build for a LT, and he played for a major program. If you are ok with a guy who will be mediocre, but serviceable Adams is your guy.

Slapstick
02-20-2013, 12:09 AM
We both know why. He is the prototypical size and build for a LT, and he played for a major program. If you are ok with a guy who will be mediocre, but serviceable Adams is your guy.

If people didn't think Adams could be special, he wouldn't have been one of the 5 best OTs in his draft...

LOTS of people, including the Steelers, saw something...

Shawn
02-20-2013, 12:45 AM
If people didn't think Adams could be special, he wouldn't have been one of the 5 best OTs in his draft...

and they thought he could be special in college as well. He wasn't. Many many OTs get overvalued. Adams was a 4th-5th round talent in a first rounders body. Once upon a time I posted a link of Adams getting abused playing against Arkansas. Top talent don't get turnstyled. He has always been on sometimes...off sometimes...wishy washy blah with no real passion in his play.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mike-adams?id=2532783

Shawn
02-20-2013, 12:55 AM

Whoever wrote this article needs a job on the Steeler scouting department.

http://rosterwatch.com/?p=2202

AND

per profootballweekly

Very spotty play history. Soft-tempered. Came off as very immature and low-burn in the interview process. Questionable mental toughness. Has been pampered and is not wired with a trench mentality. Not passionate about the game. Bench-pressed 225 pounds only 19 times at the Combine and body does not look NFL-conditioned. Too easily distracted and has multiple off-field issues that already have eliminated him from consideration on some NFL draft boards.

Summary:
Generated a buzz at the Senior Bowl because of his giant stature and ability to match up well in pass protection. However, he lacks the mental makeup, toughness and consistency desired on the front lines and has clear bust potential.

calmkiller
02-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Personally I would like to see Mike on the right side again. I can remember when we had Hartings, Faneca and Smith on the left side and that stayed together for years. We were a left handed team. With Pouncey, DeCastro and Adams on the right side we could have a very good line on the right side.

Chadman
02-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Mike Adams seems to cop the most critisism from Steelers fans that support or follow OSU. The critics often refer to his lack of passion, effort, inconsistancy.

Mike Wallace seems to cop the most critisism from NFL fans that support or follow the Steelers. the critics often refer to his lack of passion, effort, inconsistancy.

Therefore- Mike Adams is to OSU fans what Wallace is to Steelers fans.

Thing is, Slapstick is right- Adams was the consensus 5th highest rated OT in 2012, and excluding his drag test, was rated a 1st round pick. Someone, somewhere, saw something about Adams to get that sort of grade. And it can't just be due to his size- there are so many OT's in that size range coming out of college now. Obviously his level of competition helped his ranking too. That said, it also had the potential to hurt his ranking, if he'd been shown incapable on a weekly basis. The fact that he still maintained a 1st round grade suggests that he must have held up his end of the bargain once or twice.

Maybe he wasn't the complete package at OSU? Maybe he didn't live up to the high expectations at OSU? Having not watched Adams college career, Chadman can't say.

But if he'd been as bad as some want us to believe at OSU, the NFL would have picked up on that. Adams would not have been rated as highly as he was.

Sometimes, when a player plays for the team you support, your opinions can can skewed, one way or the other, due to the emotional investment placed by the fan. You tend to see what you want to see, magnified, while other things get missed. You tend to focus on things that suit your own personal viewpoint & understanding, while overlooking things that might not fit the image you have in your mind.

For what it's worth, Chadman is happy Adams is a Steeler. Chadman plugged for Adams last year, much to the horror of some, and when his name was called- Chadman will admit to letting a smile get out. The Steelers got a 1st round talent late in the 2nd round. And he's a Left Tackle, moreso that Gilbert.

Slapstick
02-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Mike Adams seems to cop the most critisism from Steelers fans that support or follow OSU. The critics often refer to his lack of passion, effort, inconsistancy.

Mike Wallace seems to cop the most critisism from NFL fans that support or follow the Steelers. the critics often refer to his lack of passion, effort, inconsistancy.

Therefore- Mike Adams is to OSU fans what Wallace is to Steelers fans.

Thing is, Slapstick is right- Adams was the consensus 5th highest rated OT in 2012, and excluding his drag test, was rated a 1st round pick. Someone, somewhere, saw something about Adams to get that sort of grade. And it can't just be due to his size- there are so many OT's in that size range coming out of college now. Obviously his level of competition helped his ranking too. That said, it also had the potential to hurt his ranking, if he'd been shown incapable on a weekly basis. The fact that he still maintained a 1st round grade suggests that he must have held up his end of the bargain once or twice.

Maybe he wasn't the complete package at OSU? Maybe he didn't live up to the high expectations at OSU? Having not watched Adams college career, Chadman can't say.

But if he'd been as bad as some want us to believe at OSU, the NFL would have picked up on that. Adams would not have been rated as highly as he was.

Sometimes, when a player plays for the team you support, your opinions can can skewed, one way or the other, due to the emotional investment placed by the fan. You tend to see what you want to see, magnified, while other things get missed. You tend to focus on things that suit your own personal viewpoint & understanding, while overlooking things that might not fit the image you have in your mind.

For what it's worth, Chadman is happy Adams is a Steeler. Chadman plugged for Adams last year, much to the horror of some, and when his name was called- Chadman will admit to letting a smile get out. The Steelers got a 1st round talent late in the 2nd round. And he's a Left Tackle, moreso that Gilbert.

I am a huge OSU fan...

Though, I admit, it is often a struggle to maintain objectivity, I try very hard not to allow emotions into evaluations...

supersteeler
02-20-2013, 10:45 AM
For what it's worth, Chadman is happy Adams is a Steeler. Chadman plugged for Adams last year, much to the horror of some, and when his name was called- Chadman will admit to letting a smile get out. The Steelers got a 1st round talent late in the 2nd round. And he's a Left Tackle, moreso that Gilbert.[/QUOTE]

I think so too, to the point he will win that competition in camp. Now I could be wrong we'll see, stay tuned!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Adams has better feet & kickslide than Gilbert. Adams needs more experience to get tech sound. I don't know if one year is enough but camp will tell. If they decide he needs more reps, Gilbert to LT and Adams to RT. That said, Adams has the higher ceiling at LT and you should start to see it as he sees the field more. I know everyone thinks the OL is junk but it isn't. Lots of young talent that just needs more and more gameday reps and coaching. When they start logging reps together you will see it come together.

flippy
02-20-2013, 12:12 PM

Don't forget the Steelers once said they had a 1st round grade on Essex. :)

Sugar
02-20-2013, 01:26 PM

You mean, you didn't? ;)

Shawn
02-20-2013, 05:52 PM
You can have all the talent in the world. You can be built like a beast. You can be rated consensus #1. You can show bursts of elite ability. But, if you are immature, lazy, and lack passion and/or a mean streak...you are destined for mediocrity in the NFL.

lloydroid
02-20-2013, 06:19 PM

:D:D:D And Jeremy Staat was said to be like drafting another first round talent. Turns out he was a better grunt that he was a football player. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Staat

lloydroid
02-20-2013, 06:22 PM

"Seeing something" and a buck will buy you a coffee (but not at Starbucks). Plenty of first round picks, which most everyone "saw something" end up as busts. Adams lacks a fire in the belly. And that isn't taught. That being said, so does Starks, who ended up being a pretty good LT. He's not elite, but he is not a problem either.

pittpete
02-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Adams lacks a fire in the belly.

Lloyd, I was wondering how you know this?
How can you tell by watching a guy play a few games on TV, specifically Adams?

supersteeler
02-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Adams will be the starting tackle on either side for the next ten years, our O-line is going to better than what fans project them to be and the team will be better too, especially the offense.

If I was Steeler player, I couldn't wait for camp and the regular season especially, so I could rip someones head off.
There should be plenty of motivation for this team in 2013.

Chadman
02-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Despite the boneheadedness of the Combine drug test, it showed a bit of courage, humility & yes- desire (or fire in the belly, if you like), to head over to the Steelers & admit his mistakes, plead for a chance, and then hit all the targets set by the Steelers, even though he was given no guarentee he'd get picked regardless.

He might be dumb, he might be over rated, he might never succeed- but to say he lacks the 'want' is to overlook what he did when faced with adversity.

Shawn
02-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Chadman, you know I like a feel good story of courage and triumph. But, lets not make tail tucking after one more bone headed move an act of courage. He owned an act everyone already knew about to save millions of dollars. Take tattoo gate, numerous reports about lack of desire on the field and in the weight room (which was on display during the combine), getting abused by Kerrigan, Clayborn, and topping it all off with inconsistent career play and ganja smoking before the combine. It pains me that he is on this Steelers team.

Chadman
02-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Chadman, you know I like a feel good story of courage and triumph. But, lets not make tail tucking after one more bone headed move an act of courage. He owned an act everyone already knew about to save millions of dollars. Take tattoo gate, numerous reports about lack of desire on the field and in the weight room (which was on display during the combine), getting abused by Kerrigan, Clayborn, and topping it all off with inconsistent career play and ganja smoking before the combine. It pains me that he is on this Steelers team.

Don't know Shawn. Chadman thinks that the actual act of asking to meet, admitting his failure & taking on board the requirements set up for him the way he did deserves some respect. Does it forgive him?

Not at all.

But it shows that bit of desire that many seem to think he lacks.

Shawn
02-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Don't know Shawn. Chadman thinks that the actual act of asking to meet, admitting his failure & taking on board the requirements set up for him the way he did deserves some respect. Does it forgive him?

Not at all.

But it shows that bit of desire that many seem to think he lacks.

you may be correct or maybe he just wanted to save some cash he had lost in the smoke.

Chadman
02-20-2013, 08:46 PM
you may be correct or maybe he just wanted to save some cash he had lost in the smoke.

Possible, for sure. So far though, so good.