PDA

View Full Version : Robinson: Manti Te’o, Steelers could be perfect couple

hawaiiansteel
02-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Robinson: Te’o, Steelers could be perfect couple

By Alan Robinson
Published: Sunday, February 17, 2013

He is an acknowledged leader, an instinctive player who isn't a project but a producer. He was primarily responsible for the long-awaited turnaround of college football's classic program, a feat perhaps even more befitting of a Hollywood movie than “Rudy.”

He would seem to be the prototypical Steelers player. He fits one of their biggest needs. And he could be available at No. 17 when the Steelers make their first-round draft pick on April 25.

If only there wasn't the asterisk beside the name of Manti Te'o that, in the aftermath of the recent revelation that the girlfriend he talked about for months was fictional, has raised considerable questions about the Notre Dame linebacker's previously unquestioned character and judgment.

How well — or how poorly — Te'o begins to erase that asterisk will be one of the most-watched stories at the NFL Scouting Combine that begins this week in Indianapolis. And, no doubt, the Steelers will be among those watching.

Several mock drafts have the Steelers choosing Te'o, who is ranked by many draft evaluators between the 15th and 25th best player available.

“It has nothing to do with the off-field stuff. It's where he grades out as a player,” said ESPN draft expert Todd McShay, who said earlier projections putting Te'o in the top five were much too high. “That's one of the questions: Can he be a really good third-down or passing-down linebacker? I think this year helped him, the seven interceptions. ... He was quicker this year because he took off some weight. You can tell he was moving better than he had in years past.”

Even with the Steelers' multiple needs — wide receiver, defensive line, secondary, offensive line — it might make sense for them to choose an inside linebacker. A year ago they almost certainly would have gone for Dont'a Hightower had David DeCastro not unexpectedly fallen into their laps.

The Steelers badly need inside linebackers, even if 2012 third-round pick Sean Spence returns from his serious training camp knee injury and is ready for the start of the season.

Larry Foote probably won't come back after being one of the NFL's lowest-graded linebackers last season. And backups Brandon Johnson and Stevenson Sylvester could leave via free agency.

Of course, should the Steelers choose Te'o, he would be hounded by questions — at least at first — by the fake girlfriend story and how he kept it going even after he knew it was a hoax.

But once the season started, all that would fade, and it would matter only if Te'o can play. And while he is a natural middle linebacker — a position the Steelers don't have in Dick LeBeau's 3-4 defense — he would seem to be a good fit for what they do. Notre Dame also ran a 3-4.

ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. thinks Te'o would be a good fit as Ray Lewis' replacement in Baltimore. Kiper thinks he could be gone before the Steelers choose.

“You love the ball skills, the instincts getting there,” McShay said. “I like him as a player. I think he's a really good player, but I don't think he's a (49ers linebacker) Patrick Willis, that kind of value in a player in terms of the athleticism and the complete game. I don't even think he's a (Panthers linebacker) Luke Kuechly in terms of the complete game. And that's why I have him in the mid-to-late first-round range.”

That's where the Steelers draft. And if it hadn't been for the phantom girlfriend and all the questions about Te'o's judgment and maturity that the unsightly mess created, he and the Steelers would appear to be the perfect couple.

A perfect real-life couple.

http://triblive.com/sports/nfl/3472071-74/steelers-player-linebacker#ixzz2LAxzUhbC

SteelerOfDeVille
02-17-2013, 01:53 PM
wouldn't bother me one bit... he was the guy in my last mock... :-)

ILB is the pick if you ask me...

Sugar
02-17-2013, 02:01 PM
This year is the D's turn after picking O last year. In that sense, I can see them going with the LB. That said, many here were questioning Te'o because of the Alabama game than the girlfriend thing.

Dee Dub
02-17-2013, 03:02 PM
One guy on this forum ( ;) ), has been saying this for the past 6 months. Not only is Te'o a good fit for the the Steelers but even better, he is great compliment to what Lawrence Timmons does.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-17-2013, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't be upset. Timmons & Te'o could wreak some havoc.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-17-2013, 04:01 PM
At this point, I'd rather see us get Minter.

Shoe
02-17-2013, 04:52 PM
Man, the power of media is so powerful... it makes you realize why our world can be so f'd up (i.e. corrupted). Those condoning drafting this scumbag (and FTR... before it all came out, I was driving the Draft Manti Te'o bandwagon) want to believe that a virile 20-year old kid... who could snap his fingers and have the best Midwestern co-ed 'tang at ND at his beck & call... would fall in love ("the love of his life") with a girl he never even saw in-person or touched (intimately or not)??? Are you serious?

The guy is a charlatan; I'm sure he is a pawn to a certain extant (i.e. maybe his father pulled the strings, etc.) But to act like he is some innocent little dupe at this point and that we should entertain taking him anywhere in the first couple rounds... is laughable if it didn't involve my favorite football team.

Sugar
02-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Man, the power of media is so powerful... it makes you realize why our world can be so f'd up (i.e. corrupted). Those condoning drafting this scumbag (and FTR... before it all came out, I was driving the Draft Manti Te'o bandwagon) want to believe that a virile 20-year old kid... who could snap his fingers and have the best Midwestern co-ed 'tang at ND at his beck & call... would fall in love ("the love of his life") with a girl he never even saw in-person or touched (intimately or not)??? Are you serious?

The guy is a charlatan; I'm sure he is a pawn to a certain extant (i.e. maybe his father pulled the strings, etc.) But to act like he is some innocent little dupe at this point and that we should entertain taking him anywhere in the first couple rounds... is laughable if it didn't involve my favorite football team.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe he wasn't after the "best Midwestern co-ed 'tang?" Maybe "she" was someone he connected with, had cultural familiarity with and was safer than the girls around him?

To me, the tape from the Alabama game might be more troublesome than this episode.

Ghost
02-17-2013, 07:03 PM
How many times do you think he can use the, "Hey guys, I know we're up against it -- and the breaks are beating us -- but if we can just go out there with all we've got and win one for my imaginary dead girlfriend..."

supersteeler
02-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Did you ever stop to think that maybe he wasn't after the "best Midwestern co-ed 'tang?" Maybe "she" was someone he connected with, had cultural familiarity with and was safer than the girls around him?

To me, the tape from the Alabama game might be more troublesome than this episode.

You said a mouthful right there Sugar.

feltdizz
02-17-2013, 07:55 PM

The Alabama game is a concern... the story has died down a bit but it will gain traction once the combine hits. I would be a little concerned with the blowback if we drafted him and he struggled. It would be a circus of epic proportions if he doesnt pan out.

I definitely thought he was in on it but after seeing Ronaih give his interview.... nah. The only thing I think Te'o is guilty of is embellishing how great their love was once the story kept getting rehashed. I dont think the risk is worth the reward and he is going to have the Tebow type media where everything but his game on the field is the focal point.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-17-2013, 08:09 PM
I would be happy with several players at 1:17.

manti teo isn't one of them.

Slapstick
02-17-2013, 08:19 PM

The media is powerful...it's made you hate someone that you've never even met...

Chadman
02-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Not completely against Te'o, but not sure ILB is the direction the Steelers go.

IF the Steelers want ILB, Te'o certainly is a player. But if they don't chose one in Round 1.... what does everyone think of Penn St's Michael Mauti?

DukieBoy
02-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Mauti has been a tackling machine, instinctive,smart, a high character guy and strong leader. His knee injuries are a concern. Gerald Hodges would be a consideration, too.

squidkid
02-17-2013, 09:07 PM
he has no upside and he is either a liar or stupid..............no thanks to all three

Mister Pittsburgh
02-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Kiko can play, but he also has some character issues in his past.

NJ-STEELER
02-17-2013, 11:11 PM
please no

concentrate on helping the offense in the early rounds and its 20 something ranking

Djfan
02-17-2013, 11:21 PM
please no

concentrate on helping the offense in the early rounds and its 20 something ranking

This. We have more important things to do, like score in the redzone. No more headcases in the Black & Gold. Sweed was enough.

Dee Dub
02-18-2013, 01:30 AM
...I definitely thought he was in on it but after seeing Ronaih give his interview.... nah.

But that is what you usually do here felt. Quick to judge and cast as wrong without even really knowing what the whole story is. You talked about how the media hyped this kid up to the point of over-hyping him as a player and yet you yourself sucked up all the media had about this fake girlfriend story to the point of pre-judging him yourself. Nice.

The only thing I think Te'o is guilty of is embellishing how great their love was once the story kept getting rehashed.....

Yeah...that is such a horrible crime. :rolleyes:

I'd take Te'o at 17 in a heart-beat. I love Kevin Minter but I still believe that Te'o is a bit more rounded now that he has improved in the pass coverage.

grotonsteel
02-18-2013, 01:57 AM
Mauti has been a tackling machine, instinctive,smart, a high character guy and strong leader. His knee injuries are a concern. Gerald Hodges would be a consideration, too.

+1

To be frank one can never go wrong with Penn State LBers....

feltdizz
02-18-2013, 10:02 AM
But that is what you usually do here felt. Quick to judge and cast as wrong without even really knowing what the whole story is. You talked about how the media hyped this kid up to the point of over-hyping him as a player and yet you yourself sucked up all the media had about this fake girlfriend story to the point of pre-judging him yourself. Nice.

^^^says the guy who removed Te'o from his tag after the story broke. :confused:

ohh... and remember this the day the story broke:

Yeah I'm right there with you felt. That is a major red flag. Everyone knows how I've been all over Te'o but this makes me take huge step back. This is very bizarre.

You loved him like a son and pushed for him in multiple threads....once the story broke you ran in telling everyone how you were at a loss for words.

I gave my opinion just like YOU did. I said I didn't like this kid BEFORE the story broke... the crazy hoax just added to an already shady feeling I have about this kid's early projection.

phillyesq
02-18-2013, 10:03 AM
The Alabama game is a concern... the story has died down a bit but it will gain traction once the combine hits. I would be a little concerned with the blowback if we drafted him and he struggled. It would be a circus of epic proportions if he doesnt pan out.

I definitely thought he was in on it but after seeing Ronaih give his interview.... nah. The only thing I think Te'o is guilty of is embellishing how great their love was once the story kept getting rehashed. I dont think the risk is worth the reward and he is going to have the Tebow type media where everything but his game on the field is the focal point.

This is my biggest concern with Te'o as well.

Tebow, without the distractions, could probably be a decent backup qb. He can make plays with his legs, doesn't turn the ball over, etc. But the distraction is not worth it.

Before this issue and the Alabama game, I was starting to get on board the Te'o bandwagon. Now, I'd rather see him elsewhere. I just hope it is not with the Ravens -- I just have a feeling that if he ended up there he would be a thorn in the Steelers' side for a decade.

feltdizz
02-18-2013, 10:22 AM
This is my biggest concern with Te'o as well.

Tebow, without the distractions, could probably be a decent backup qb. He can make plays with his legs, doesn't turn the ball over, etc. But the distraction is not worth it.

Before this issue and the Alabama game, I was starting to get on board the Te'o bandwagon. Now, I'd rather see him elsewhere. I just hope it is not with the Ravens -- I just have a feeling that if he ended up there he would be a thorn in the Steelers' side for a decade.

Not me...

...and Tebow is a good football player but a HORRIBLE QB... he put together a win for the ages vs us but I don't think teams want what he has to offer long term. Are you getting playoff Denver Tebow or playoff NE Tebow?

I think most teams have figured out (except Lebeau) that blitzing Tebow is an easy win.

supersteeler
02-18-2013, 10:50 AM
I'll pass on Te'o, we can get an ILB after round one that could help us. We have more pressing issues than ILB at this point like OLB, SAFETY, RB, AND Receiver. I have A.J Klein in my mock in the later rounds to get other needs attended to earlier, but this kid Klein is no slouch, he tackles everything that moves.

Dee Dub
02-18-2013, 01:47 PM
^^^says the guy who removed Te'o from his tag after the story broke. :confused:

ohh... and remember this the day the story broke:

You loved him like a son and pushed for him in multiple threads....once the story broke you ran in telling everyone how you were at a loss for words.

I gave my opinion just like YOU did. I said I didn't like this kid BEFORE the story broke... the crazy hoax just added to an already shady feeling I have about this kid's early projection.

It is still a red flag. And there is nothing I can do or say that changes that. That has nothing to do with me. It is a fact. And taking a step back doesn't mean that one is jumping off the bandwagon. Sometimes one needs to take a step back in order to let things unfold. It is the opposite of pre-judging. Letting things take it's course more times than not is a lot better when making immediate decisions on someone.

feltdizz
02-18-2013, 02:01 PM
It is still a red flag. And there is nothing I can do or say that changes that. That has nothing to do with me. It is a fact. And taking a step back doesn't mean that one is jumping off the bandwagon. Sometimes one needs to take a step back in order to let things unfold. It is the opposite of pre-judging. Letting things take it's course more times than not is a lot better when making immediate decisions on someone.

I didn't want him before the hoax and I don't want him after the hoax.

I don't need things to unfold to come to the conclusion this story was CRAZY. I went from thinking Te'o was an over hyped saint, to a gay dude, to a naive dude, to a weird dude... but it's still falls under crazy and insane story anyway you shake it.

You were the one who praised his high character based on???? Hell, what was it based on?

..and I still think he is a liar. It's not a crime but it's a concern. He spent way too much time on the phone WITH A DUDE for me to have to wait for the truth the play out.

I don't want him.

Dee Dub
02-18-2013, 04:16 PM
I didn't want him before the hoax and I don't want him after the hoax.

I don't need things to unfold to come to the conclusion this story was CRAZY. I went from thinking Te'o was an over hyped saint, to a gay dude, to a naive dude, to a weird dude... but it's still falls under crazy and insane story anyway you shake it.

You were the one who praised his high character based on???? Hell, what was it based on?

..and I still think he is a liar. It's not a crime but it's a concern. He spent way too much time on the phone WITH A DUDE for me to have to wait for the truth the play out.

I don't want him.

I'd still take him at 17 (not my first choice but would still would not have a problem with him there), and I do think he has an above average character despite this incident. And that based on his leadership he has shown on the field and the fact that he has been a model person up to this incident. An an incident that is really not all that big of a deal in my opinion.

hawaiiansteel
02-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Manti Te'o focused on work

Updated: February 18, 2013
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Those who have watched Manti Te'o prepare for the scouting combine say the former Notre Dame linebacker has shown no signs of being distracted by national media attention that came from his online relationship with a girlfriend that turned out to be a hoax.

"He missed precisely one day," said former NFL quarterback Chris Weinke, the director of football operations at IMG Academy where Te'o has been preparing for the combine. The combine starts Wednesday in Indianapolis.

"He's gone about his business and been the same guy all along," Weinke said. "I really admire that because a lot of guys his age would not be able to handle this as well as he has. I haven't seen any signs of it being a distraction and I expect him to go up to Indianapolis and have a great combine."

Te'o took part in Monday's workouts, but declined an interview request. Te'o recently divulged that he was the victim of a hoax in which he developed an online relationship with a woman who did not exist.

"Manti has been the same Manti I went to college with," former Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert, who also has been working out at IMG, said. "He left to do the Katie Couric interview for one day and I think he was back that same night. He's been out on the field working just like he's always worked. I've tried to be there for him, but I don't know that he's needed all that much help because he's such a strong person to begin with."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8959851/manti-teo-working-hard-nfl-combine-approaches-official-says

pfelix73
02-18-2013, 09:44 PM
No brainer, really. I'd take him at 17 too. Super on-the-field leader.. We don't take him, Baltimore will.....

NorthCoast
02-18-2013, 11:03 PM
No brainer, really. I'd take him at 17 too. Super on-the-field leader.. We don't take him, Baltimore will.....

So the Alabama tape doesn't bother you? I admit it is the ONLY game I seen him play in, but it was truly shocking what I saw, after all the hype I read about him. Were his opponents up to that point so inferior that it made his play look stellar, only to crumble against NFL-ready opponents?
The Steelers desparately need to focus on football and get away from non-football distractions. As others have said, I would be very concerned with the media attention not related to football that he would attract.

calmkiller
02-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Just say no to T'eo

hawaiiansteel
02-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Manti Te'o Press Conference: Contrite and seemingly genuine, Te'o speaks to the media

By Neal Coolong on Feb 23

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/8604503/gyi0062453229.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o speaks to the media for the first time since news was revealed his supposed girlfriend wasn't real.

Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o was contrite and confident in addressing the media in a press conference held for him at the NFL Combine Saturday.

The questions surrounding him and his alleged relationship with a fake person - someone he never met - have come with an enormous level of criticism and scrutiny for the Heisman Trophy finalist.

Te'o spoke with the media for roughly 20 minutes, answering several dozen questions. He kept his answers short, and they were largely expected.

He deflected most direct questions about the incident and the follow-up questions regarding how he's handled it.

"I said all I needed to say about it. I'm handling it by just focusing on football," he said in response to the first question regarding the incident he was asked.

Te'o said he's already met with the Texans and the Packers, and he said he'll meet with 18 more teams at the Combine. He didn't say whether one of those were the Steelers, but the team does have a need for depth, if not a starter, at inside linebacker. Te'o is expected to be available when the Steelers are on the clock with the No. 17 pick.

He was asked a direct question about the possibility of being drafted by the Baltimore Ravens, and replacing LB Ray Lewis, who retired after the team's Super Bowl championship in February.

"Ray Lewis is the kind of linebacker I strive to be," he said. "He has the talent, the leadership, everything you'd want in a player. If I went there, there would be some pretty big shoes to fill, that's for sure."

It always comes down to how much of what a troubled player says is believable, against his production on the field. Obviously, no team wants the embarrassment. They don't want to invest millions in a player who's going to cost them more in bad publicity. Regardless if he's being 100 percent truthful, a team will take him in the first round if he shows he's willing to accept their guidance.

The major reason for that is, outside of the whole bizarre situation, he's never found himself in any kind of trouble. There's nothing here suggesting it's a pattern.

There's something to be said about the fact he is facing the media, even if it comes well after the incident broke. He answered everything as well as could be expected, so perhaps this boosts his stock in the eyes of most.

It will only matter to a handful of teams who will have him high on their boards, perhaps higher than where they're picking.

The linebackers will go through their drills on Monday.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/23/4021780/manti-teo-press-conference-quotes-comments-reaction

supersteeler
02-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Even if Dick Butkus was a draft prospect we won't be drafting an ILB in the first round, other positions supercede ILB.

Again, NO TO TE'O

lloydroid
02-24-2013, 12:03 AM
So the Alabama tape doesn't bother you? I admit it is the ONLY game I seen him play in, but it was truly shocking what I saw, after all the hype I read about him. Were his opponents up to that point so inferior that it made his play look stellar, only to crumble against NFL-ready opponents?
The Steelers desparately need to focus on football and get away from non-football distractions. As others have said, I would be very concerned with the media attention not related to football that he would attract.

/\ /\ /\ /\ This

lloydroid
02-24-2013, 12:04 AM
All that being said, can they get off this dude already? Holy crap, who cares anymore about fake girl friend?

feltdizz
02-24-2013, 10:43 AM
All that being said, can they get off this dude already? Holy crap, who cares anymore about fake girl friend?

It will run its course but this is what happens when an off field story is used to hype a guy up. Imagine if we found out Tebow was an aethiest... lol.

This is why I hate the media/pr hype some players get that has nothing to do with their play on the field. He probably should have played in the Senior Bowl given the info he had at the time. His last game was awful...and then the fake gf story emerged... this will follow him until he plays football.

flippy
02-24-2013, 10:52 AM
I could care less about his girlfriend crap off the field. I just don't see him being a difference maker worthy of pick #17.

Is he going to help us create more QB pressure? Is he going to make us better in coverage?

Also, I want a guy that seems a little off. A guy that's a little violent. A little cocky. A guy to rile up the troops. And the one thing all the media coverage has shown is the Teo is a soft spoken and quiet guy. We need a leader. We've got too many church mice on this team already.

I want a guy that plays like James Harrison with a personality like James Farrior/Joey Porter.

NorthCoast
02-24-2013, 11:20 AM
I could care less about his girlfriend crap off the field. I just don't see him being a difference maker worthy of pick #17.

Is he going to help us create more QB pressure? Is he going to make us better in coverage?

Also, I want a guy that seems a little off. A guy that's a little violent. A little cocky. A guy to rile up the troops. And the one thing all the media coverage has shown is the Teo is a soft spoken and quiet guy. We need a leader. We've got too many church mice on this team already.

I want a guy that plays like James Harrison with a personality like James Farrior/Joey Porter.

This.

Got too many nice guys ala Troy. Need a few s____kickers on this team and hopefully one that will emerge as a team leader, either through his mouth or through his play.

feltdizz
02-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Damn flippy... I agree but at the same time I have no idea how this kid is in the huddle. He may be a s@#t talking maniac but we wouldnt know because all we have heard about is his off field crap.

A few scouts say he is undersized... thats a concern and in the Bama game he looked and played the part.

Captain Crunch
02-24-2013, 12:42 PM
^ What Flippy said! An NFL scout on the Combine panel yesterday said that Te'o isn't an impact player and really isn't a 1st round talent... maybe top of the second somewhere... He said he's no Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, Von Miller etc etc... That #17 pick has to be a no miss impact player this year...

lloydroid
02-24-2013, 02:53 PM
T'eo will be a starting ILB in the NFL, but only an average one. He isn't going to be an impact player. A few years from now, we will barely realize he is still in the league. He will probably be like a Rey Maualuga or so. Nothing special. Not worthy of a 17th pick over all. We need a pro bowl level player at that pick.

Dee Dub
02-24-2013, 03:05 PM
T'eo will be a starting ILB in the NFL, but only an average one. He isn't going to be an impact player. A few years from now, we will barely realize he is still in the league. He will probably be like a Rey Maualuga or so. Nothing special. Not worthy of a 17th pick over all. We need a pro bowl level player at that pick.

I disagree! I think he will be a great one and a perennial pro bowler.

pfelix73
02-24-2013, 03:50 PM
I disagree! I think he will be a great one and a perennial pro bowler.

Agree with you. I think he's gonna be great one. He's gonna not only be a great football player but will be the same in doing philanthropy in what ever city he lives in. I have this feeling he's gonna end up on the Bears roster and will be the next Urlacher.

lloydroid
02-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Agree with you. I think he's gonna be great one. He's gonna not only be a great football player but will be the same in doing philanthropy in what ever city he lives in. I have this feeling he's gonna end up on the Bears roster and will be the next Urlacher.

Helllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz no. You are kidding, right? Urlacher is huge with sprinter's speed. Te'o is a little guy.

Shoe
02-24-2013, 04:24 PM
All of you who are saying you don't care about the girlfriend stuff... I hope you were for drafting Lawrence Phillips, Vontaze Burfict, Pac-Man Jones, Janoris Jenkins, Alonzo Spellman, the Honey Badger, Mike Adams, Bozworth, Dez Bryant, Randy Moss, Deion Sanders... because all those guys were producers on the field too.

You are oversimplifying, by telling people to drop the GF aspect. At worst, the GF drama is a glimpse into the guy's character... which in that case, you wouldn't *I hope* touch a pathological liar like that. At best, he is an ultra-naive boy who has to step into the deep-end of the pool (i.e. the NFL) in six months. You can't ignore the GF story. It's a part of the draft process (unless again, you never put stock in off-field in the first place).

flippy
02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
All of you who are saying you don't care about the girlfriend stuff... I hope you were for drafting Lawrence Phillips, Vontaze Burfict, Pac-Man Jones, Janoris Jenkins, Alonzo Spellman, the Honey Badger, Mike Adams, Bozworth, Dez Bryant, Randy Moss, Deion Sanders... because all those guys were producers on the field too.

You are oversimplifying, by telling people to drop the GF aspect. At worst, the GF drama is a glimpse into the guy's character... which in that case, you wouldn't *I hope* touch a pathological liar like that. At best, he is an ultra-naive boy who has to step into the deep-end of the pool (i.e. the NFL) in six months. You can't ignore the GF story. It's a part of the draft process (unless again, you never put stock in off-field in the first place).

The big difference is a lot of those other guys were athletic freaks. Teo compares more to a Larry Foote in terms of his athleticism. And that's fine, just not a guy that should go in the first round.

All the other guys you mention had clear first round athleticism.

feltdizz
02-24-2013, 04:42 PM

Why is Neon Dieon on this list? I mean, the Jherri Curl was offensive but the guy never had off field issues from whay I can remember.

...and note: i hated Dieon when he played but he was a truly gifted athlete.

and anyone who thinks Te'o has greatness in his future probably ate up the GF story this year... I think he will be a solid garbage man but nothing more. Time will tell.

as far as lying about the GF... plenty of guys lie or embellish their stories about women but most dont do it on national tv, over and over again. LOL...

supersteeler
02-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Te'o has issues running down RB's to to the edge and not sure is has the speed to cover NFL pass catchers, while he may be a good ILB, saying he is pro bowl material is questionable. He'll drop to the late first round at best and could be a second round pick by some team.
From looking how he played against Bama, he can't get off blocks.
I understand it was only one game but he wasn't beaten, he was dominated especially when my boy Warmack ;)pancaked him.
He could turn out to be a good ILB but no way would I waste a first round pick on him.

SS Laser
02-24-2013, 04:51 PM
I see the catfish GF thing like Mike Adams taking a few puffs. Not a big deal if over and DONE with for good. Move on become a big boy and play in the NFL. I do not want him at 17. End of 1st I would take a shot.
He might even have more fire to succeed in the NFL. I agree time will tell.

feltdizz
02-24-2013, 05:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzPSjTJveuk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ray Graham vs ND... you be the judge. Te'o had a sack and a few tackles but he was swallowed up more than a few times and took himself out of plays too often. Critics have said he guesses wrong to often....

I think he will have problems shedding blocks at the next level.

feltdizz
02-24-2013, 05:15 PM
I see the catfish GF thing like Mike Adams taking a few puffs. Not a big deal if over and DONE with for good. Move on become a big boy and play in the NFL. I do not want him at 17. End of 1st I would take a shot.
He might even have more fire to succeed in the NFL. I agree time will tell.

Its different... This story was told for months and months and then the curtain was pulled back in the Bama game and the hoax story that followed... as well as refusing to play in the senior bowl.

I cant really blame him for voters who said they wouldnt have voted for him if the story broke earlier but it is something to consider. If it was weed I dont think it would get anywhere near this exposure. If he took money from an agent, had bad grades, etc it wouldnt be as big of a deal but a lot of scouts, GM and analyst let this GF story get the better of them.

It really does show how bad the media can be....

Shoe
02-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Why is Neon Dieon on this list? I mean, the Jherri Curl was offensive but the guy never had off field issues from whay I can remember.

...and note: i hated Dieon when he played but he was a truly gifted athlete.

and anyone who thinks Te'o has greatness in his future probably ate up the GF story this year... I think he will be a solid garbage man but nothing more. Time will tell.

as far as lying about the GF... plenty of guys lie or embellish their stories about women but most dont do it on national tv, over and over again. LOL...

Deion is on the list because he was seen as a "me" guy, not a team guy. I'm just calling out the ridiculousness of acting like the GF stuff is moot. As you said, I'm sure plenty guys lie about women... But that's different than what he attempted to do (i.e. fool the country).

Dee Dub
02-24-2013, 09:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzPSjTJveuk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ray Graham vs ND... you be the judge. Te'o had a sack and a few tackles but he was swallowed up more than a few times and took himself out of plays too often. Critics have said he guesses wrong to often....

I think he will have problems shedding blocks at the next level.

If you are going to do this you should post the games the past two-three seasons where he dominated. There are more of those games than this game where he was so-so (7 tackles, 1 sack).

feltdizz
02-24-2013, 10:15 PM
If you are going to do this you should post the games the past two-three seasons where he dominated. There are more of those games than this game where he was so-so (7 tackles, 1 sack).

I dont want him... you are free to post his highlights.

Dee Dub
02-25-2013, 12:41 AM
I dont want him... you are free to post his highlights.

Fair enough...but at least be fair in why you dont want him. You hand pick bits and pieces but ignore the whole body of work whether it be his performance on the field or one off field issue.

I keep hearing how T'eo isnt a Patrick Willis but Patrick Willis has average 108 tackles 1.5 sacks and 1.5 INT's the past two seasons. I'll take that bet. I believe T'eo can do that in the NFL.

Chadman
02-25-2013, 01:07 AM
Fair enough...but at least be fair in why you dont want him. You hand pick bits and pieces but ignore the whole body of work whether it be his performance on the field or one off field issue.

I keep hearing how T'eo isnt a Patrick Willis but Patrick Willis has average 108 tackles 1.5 sacks and 1.5 INT's the past two seasons. I'll take that bet. I believe T'eo can do that in the NFL.

Don't think Te'o is the 'athlete' Willis is, but production is production. Depends on what you want him to do. If the Steelers just want a tackling machine, then Te'o is a fine choice. If they want a 'difference maker', not sure Te'o is that guy.

All this mystery girlfriend hocus-pocus will vanish after a few solid seasons of NFL play. If he fails to perform in the NFL though, people will only remember him for that.

Dee Dub
02-25-2013, 01:30 AM
Don't think Te'o is the 'athlete' Willis is, but production is production. Depends on what you want him to do. If the Steelers just want a tackling machine, then Te'o is a fine choice. If they want a 'difference maker', not sure Te'o is that guy......

Cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching!! why do you think I have been on this T'eo ride for so long? I do not expect him to get 7 INT's as a Steelers. He wont do the majority of the covering. Timmons will. And T'eo and Minter would both be tremendous compliments to what Timmons does. And it will actually free Timmons up to do more.

You put T'eo next to Timmons and you can bet he will put up those numbers that Patrick Willis has the past two years ..and then some. And then watch Timmons become a perennial defensive player of the year candidate.

Some can think outside of the box. Some can't.

Chadman
02-25-2013, 02:36 AM
Cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching!! why do you think I have been on this T'eo ride for so long? I do not expect him to get 7 INT's as a Steelers. He wont do the majority of the covering. Timmons will. And T'eo and Minter would both be tremendous compliments to what Timmons does. And it will actually free Timmons up to do more.

You put T'eo next to Timmons and you can bet he will put up those numbers that Patrick Willis has the past two years ..and then some. And then watch Timmons become a perennial defensive player of the year candidate.

Some can think outside of the box. Some can't.

Certainly not 'against' drafting Te'o, but not sure if he'd be choice #1 right now. Agree with you that he could be a nice compliment to the athlete that Timmons is. Minter looks a good player too. Not sold on Ogletree. The real shame is that the Steelers might never see what Sean Spence could have been for them. If the Steelers are determined to draft an ILB, the other guy Chadman thinks would be a great fit, if he can convince teams to take the chance on him, is Michael Mauti. His on-field play is very solid, but even more impressive is listening to him being interviewed during the whole Penn St drama early in the season. That is one 'leader of men'.

If you haven't seen/heard him during that time, do yourself a favour & google him. The Steelers could do with leaders like Mauti.

feltdizz
02-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Don't think Te'o is the 'athlete' Willis is, but production is production. Depends on what you want him to do. If the Steelers just want a tackling machine, then Te'o is a fine choice. If they want a 'difference maker', not sure Te'o is that guy.

All this mystery girlfriend hocus-pocus will vanish after a few solid seasons of NFL play. If he fails to perform in the NFL though, people will only remember him for that.

will those tackles be 5 yards down field or in the hole? I think it will be the former... I don't think he has the closing speed or size. My opinion... and like I've said before.... we will see in a few months if he is the real deal.

If he is a pro-bowler I have no problem admitting I missed on him... but if he is average he will go down as one of the craziest bust in NFL history due to that catfish story.

pfelix73
02-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Well, this video that's posted might give us some info. about someone else besides this discussion on Teo....

Ray Graham looks like a heck of a RB. And being he is already in Pittsburgh, they can looky looky all they want without any visits, etc..... This guy looks impressive in this ND game. Looks like he had a bad 40 time at the Combine. Maybe in the 6th round...

feltdizz
02-25-2013, 03:59 PM
This was the first game Graham looked like he trusted his knee... I would take him in a heartbeat if he was there in the 5th

Oviedo
02-25-2013, 04:37 PM
T'eo ran a 4.8 and 4.81 40 yards dash. Is he still in Round 1?

I've said all along that T'eo = Rey Malagua(sp?) from the Bumgals and USC. He had all the hype until after the draft and went in top of Round 2.

flippy
02-25-2013, 05:31 PM

I've said all along that T'eo = Rey Malagua(sp?) from the Bumgals and USC. He had all the hype until after the draft and went in top of Round 2.

I think Larry Foote ran a 4.8. Another highly productive college player who was small and slow. I seriously see Foote in Teo. I think he can be a good solid player. But he should be a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

Dee Dub
02-25-2013, 05:50 PM
I think Larry Foote ran a 4.8. Another highly productive college player who was small and slow. I seriously see Foote in Teo. I think he can be a good solid player. But he should be a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

I'd still take him in a heart-beat. He is a football player. And in my opinion he is way better than Larry Foote.

Oviedo
02-25-2013, 05:51 PM

I think he is firmly settling into Round 2.

He will probably end up like Paul Posluzny and Sean Lee--decent ILB but nothing special.

Dee Dub
02-25-2013, 06:02 PM
I think he is firmly settling into Round 2.

He will probably end up like Paul Posluzny and Sean Lee--decent ILB but nothing special.

I disagree. I believe he will still go in the first round. You cannot deny what he did on the football field. And I believe he will be a special player in the NFL. But if you want to be gaga over guys who have great speed, and great work outs, but didnt do much on the field like Barkevious Mingo, cool.

flippy
02-25-2013, 06:13 PM
I disagree. I believe he will still go in the first round. You cannot deny what he did on the football field. And I believe he will be a special player in the NFL. But if you want to be gaga over guys who have great speed, and great work outs, but didnt do much on the field like Barkevious Mingo, cool.

I think there's gotta be a balance between production and athleticism. Add in the mental and pain tolerance/threshold and some guys are gonna overcome deficiencies. But it's not so easy.

I do think Teo will go in round 1. I wouldn't pick him, but someone will. Denver took Tim Tebow in the first round. So someone's gonna take a chance on a kid with this much production and hype.

On the similar note, Tebow's supporters pointed to his production. And his detractors pointed to his arm.

I also see the NFL changing and think it would be better to have 2 ILBs with Timmons' skillset. I personally like Spence so much, that I'd be completely ok with sticking with Foote as a stop gap. See what Spence can do. And then draft an ILB next year depending on how Spence pans out.

Dee Dub
02-25-2013, 06:19 PM
I think there's gotta be a balance between production and athleticism. Add in the mental and pain tolerance/threshold and some guys are gonna overcome deficiencies. But it's not so easy.

I do think Teo will go in round 1. I wouldn't pick him, but someone will. Denver took Tim Tebow in the first round. So someone's gonna take a chance on a kid with this much production and hype.

On the similar note, Tebow's supporters pointed to his production. And his detractors pointed to his arm.

I also see the NFL changing and think it would be better to have 2 ILBs with Timmons' skillset. I personally like Spence so much, that I'd be completely ok with sticking with Foote as a stop gap. See what Spence can do. And then draft an ILB next year depending on how Spence pans out.

Look at T'eo two years ago. They used him differently. He was attacking and coming forward. This year they had him drop in coverage more and he had 7 INT's but two years ago he had 13.5 tackles for loss. Think about that. He is lined up inside 7 yards off the line of scrimmage and he is getting 13.5 tackles for loss? That shows you he plays faster than he times and it shows football quickness. Same with Kevin Minter who had a eye popping 15 tackles for loss this past year. Instincts and quickness are far more important than front line speed for an ILB.

lloydroid
02-25-2013, 06:23 PM

I agree with your assessment.

flippy
02-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Look at T'eo two years ago. They used him differently. He was attacking and coming forward. This year they had him drop in coverage more and he had 7 INT's but two years ago he had 13.5 tackles for loss. Think about that. He is lined up inside 7 yards off the line of scrimmage and he is getting 13.5 tackles for loss? That shows you he plays faster than he times and it shows football quickness. Same with Kevin Minter who had a eye popping 15 tackles for loss this past year. Instincts and quickness are far more important than front line speed for an ILB.

I agree both of these guys will make it in the NFL and be good players. I'm just not convinced they're clears first round picks.

Both guys make plays on the field. No argument there. And the stats you point out support that. I'd be a lot more interested in both guys if we were talking about them as 2nd/3rd rounders.

feltdizz
02-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Slow... small and shorter than ND listed him. He isnt first round and damn sure isnt pro bowl caliber.

hawaiiansteel
02-26-2013, 01:05 AM
Ray Graham looks like a heck of a RB. And being he is already in Pittsburgh, they can looky looky all they want without any visits, etc..... This guy looks impressive in this ND game. Looks like he had a bad 40 time at the Combine. Maybe in the 6th round...

Graham to Steelers: 'Come and Get Me'

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/115/1154969.jpg

Ray Graham on the loose (DiNovo/USA TODAY Sports)

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Feb 23, 2013

INDIANAPOLIS – Ray Graham used to walk past the Steelers’ practice field, on his way to the Pitt practice field, and he’d sneak a peek – or three.

“Ray, get your nose on your own practice field!” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin would holler, and then in all seriousness Tomlin would add: “You’re not on this team!”

Tomlin would turn back to the reporters standing next to him along the Steelers’ sideline and chuckle.

“The guys who keep looking over here, who think they belong over here, those are the guys who do belong,” Tomlin said. “Shady was the same way. One time I walked in the training room and he was in the whirlpool with Willie Parker. I said, ‘Shady, get outta here.’”

LeSean “Shady” McCoy would look good in a Steelers uniform about now.

Hey, so would Dion Lewis.

LaRod Stephens-Howling anyone?

Yes, the Steelers, with three free agents and without a jettisoned Chris Rainey, are in a bind at running back. They could use any of the aforementioned Pitt men.

How about it, Ray?

“It’d be great,” said Graham. “I’ve been there and seen a lot of practices, so I felt like I’ve been a part of it already. I already visioned it.”

Graham was specific with his wording. He didn’t mean EN-vision. His emphasis was more akin to tunnel-vision.

“I’m always talking about vision,” Graham said. “That’s always the thing in the Bible. You’re supposed to have vision, vision that you put into reality. That’s why you dream big, man. I just think that, so, yeah, I believe it.

“I was on his field,” Graham continued. “I practiced on his field. So one day when I’m on his field again it’ll be second nature to me.”

So, Graham remembers Tomlin’s teasing?

“Oh, yeah,” Graham said with a chuckle. “He was always bothering me. Coach Mike, man, he’s a great guy. I get a kick out of Coach Mike. He’s a good dude. He knows how to turn it on. He knows how to motivate you.”

Graham has never been the type to need motivation. The half-brother of Rutgers linebacker prospect Khaseem Graham and son of former Purdue running back Raymond Graham loves the game, says “it’s where I can be free.” He even gives his moves names.

“I name them as I go,” Graham said. “I don’t really have a favorite move; I just like my chances one-on-one. I just think I’m going to get the best of you.”

Graham hopes to follow McCoy, Stephens-Howling and Lewis into the NFL, and succeed, as they are.

Graham, at 5-9, 199, fits right in with the group, size-wise, and statistically he finished ahead of all of them. Graham’s 3,271 rushing yards and 4,943 all-purpose yards both rank second in school history behind Tony Dorsett.

Graham showed up at the NFL Combine about 10 pounds over his playing weight last season, but just above the 197 he was playing at as a junior when he tore his right ACL eight weeks into the season.

He returned last year to rush for 1,042 yards, but a hamstring injury took him out of the Compass Bowl. Graham returned to play in the East-West Shrine Game, but fumbled on his first carry.

“Yeah, that killed me,” he said here Friday. “I felt bad, too, man, but you move on. That’s the only thing.”

Ball security isn’t an issue in scouts’ minds. They watched him closely the last four seasons. They saw him run inside with power, outside with speed, catch (98 receptions for 799 yards), and return kickoffs (38 at 22.1 avg.). They want to see something else this weekend.

“I know a lot of people doubt me,” Graham said. “They don’t know that I’m back yet. But I just want to let everybody know that I’m here to do everything, and I’m healthy, I’m feeling good, and I’m back.”

The Steelers already know plenty about Graham and haven’t talked to him here. He said he was getting an MRI during the bulk of his meeting night.

What about the MRI results?

“The MRI was good. I came in today and they said the knee’s looking good,” said the player who wants to be like Marshall Faulk more than anyone else.

But if McCoy (2nd round), Lewis (5th) and Stephens-Howling (7th) are the gauges, Graham can figure to be drafted anywhere from the third through fifth rounds.

Does he realize the Steelers are looking for a running back?

“Oh, yeah, definitely,” Graham said. “Come and get me.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/1268975.html

Chadman
02-26-2013, 01:41 AM
How did Ray Graham run a 4.8? Something's amiss with the RB combine 40 numbers- way too many 'slow' RB's that are meant to be quick RB's..

pfelix73
02-26-2013, 11:14 AM

This is the kind of crap that I am tired of reading from you. In the future, how about if you put in there that this is your opinion, etc. Just how the F@#k do you know that he will not be a very good LB? The draft is a freaking CRAP SHOOT. None of us know who will be an all pro, etc.