PDA

View Full Version : WOW - Woodley ripped by unnamed Steeler

Mister Pittsburgh
02-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Former Pro Bowl linebacker LaMarr Woodley was a disappointment for the Steelers in 2012.

By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley wasn't much of a football player last season, but he is getting rave reviews for his portrayal of legendary rapper Jam Master Jay. Woodley, Trent Richardson of the Cleveland Browns and Marshawn Lynch of the Seattle Seahawks are featured in a pictorial in the Feb. 18 issue of ESPN The Magazine, recreating an album cover of the iconic hip-hop group Run DMC. Woodley is wonderful in the photographs that have been released and has talked about the painstaking preparation that went into the project.
It's nice to think Woodley will devote the same energy this offseason to his day job.
The Steelers haven't made much news since the NFL season ended, but it's the calm before the storm. General manager Kevin Colbert promised significant changes, which could begin this week. A team that finishes with a disappointing 8-8 record has to make changes. "We'd be silly to expect a better result [with] the same group of guys," Colbert said.
Much of the speculation has centered around linebacker James Harrison. Will he agree to a pay cut or a restructuring of his contract? If he doesn't, will the Steelers release him to save precious money under the NFL salary cap?
The Steelers need Harrison. He missed the first three games last season after knee surgery and took a long time to get into playing shape. But by the end of the season, he was playing good football. He was the same disruptive force he used to be on a defense that, despite impressive statistics, badly needed one.
Harrison will turn 35 in May, but that's not as much of an issue with him as it is with other players. He is the Steelers' hardest worker. He trains maniacally. Unlike last year, he will get in all of the off-season work. He will be ready to go when training camp opens in July. He should have a big season.
It's not as if Jason Worilds can step in and take Harrison's place. He's a good pass rusher and had five sacks as a part-time starter last season, but there is more to the outside linebacker position than that. Steelers linebacker Larry Foote often talked of how Harrison "pushed back the line of scrimmage" on running plays, especially later in the season. Worilds doesn't appear to have the size or power to do that.
Memo to Colbert:
Keep Harrison.
But Harrison isn't the key to the Steelers defense.
That's the other outside linebacker.
Woodley.
The team needs him to pick up his game and become a dominant player again opposite Harrison.
"He was awful," one teammate said of Woodley's performance last season.
"He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it. He wasn't in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt."
Colbert defended Woodley when asked about that assessment, saying Woodley always has carried a lot of weight. That might be true, but Woodley was a much different player, a much worse player. He looked heavy and slow. He had just four sacks after getting nine in the first half of the 2011 season before a serious hamstring injury ruined that season for him.
Injuries have become an issue with Woodley. Before his hamstring injury against the New England Patriots in the eighth game of 2011, he had played in 58 consecutive games, including 46 consecutive starts. But he missed six of the final nine games in 2011 and was ineffective in the three he played, including the playoff loss to the Denver Broncos. No sacks. He missed one game last season with another hamstring problem and two more games because of an ankle injury.
"He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it ... "
It's easy to say Woodley got fat -- literally and figuratively -- after he agreed to a six-year, $61.5 million contract before the 2011 season, including a $22.5 million signing bonus. But that would mean ignoring those nine sacks in the first eight games of 2011. He was in the NFL Defensive Player of the Year conversation before his hamstring injury.
No one begrudged Woodley his money. He had played out his original four-year contract and made just $550,000 in the 2010 season because of a technicality. He never complained. He just produced. He had 13 sacks in 2010, including three in the postseason. He had 13 1/2 sacks in 2009 and 17 1/2 in 2008, including six in the postseason.
It wasn't long after Woodley sacked Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner to end the Steelers' 27-23 win in Super Bowl XLIII after the 2008 season that Woodley talked about his motivation.
"Ain't no price tag on winning. Winning and making history is something you can't buy. Me? I'm a guy who loves history. When I'm 60 or 70, I don't want to be remembered for the money I make. I want to be in the history books."
There was no mistaking Woodley's point. He wanted to be remembered as one of the NFL's great linebackers.
Woodley was well down that path before his hamstring injury against the Patriots in 2011. He needs to get back on it if the Steelers are going to be successful in 2013.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-its-time-for-lamarr-woodley-to-focus-on-football-675736/#ixzz2LAG91Xn1

NorthCoast
02-17-2013, 10:16 AM
That player should be given a gold star. He said what all know to be true and what needed to be said. If peer pressure doesn't get him to change his preparations, he could go down as one of the biggest Steeler disappointments in over a decade.

DukieBoy
02-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Seems like an important message for Woodley to receive, accept, and use as motivation to train like Ike.

Chadman
02-17-2013, 10:35 AM
"He was awful," one teammate said of Woodley's performance last season.
"He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it. He wasn't in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt."

Pity the player is too gutless to put his name to these accusations, but isn't afraid to rag Woodley out to the press. This is more concerning than any percieved 'lack of shape'.

Or perhaps it's a reporter trying to sell a story..

Chadman
02-17-2013, 10:39 AM
In other revelations, an unnamed Steeler said Wallace was a bad team mate & Mendenhall tweets too much about government....stuff.

Oh, oh...and the same unnamed Steeler says Ben should stop throwing the ball to the opposition.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-17-2013, 10:41 AM
No name given doesn't automatically mean the player requested it that way. The writer could of chosen to leave the name out.

Chadman
02-17-2013, 10:47 AM
No name given doesn't automatically mean the player requested it that way. The writer could of chosen to leave the name out.

What? And downgrade the impact of their story?

Doubt it.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Steelers coverage is the holy Grail for Pittsburgh sports writers. You don't poop in the water bowl.

Chadman
02-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Chadman understands that aspect- the point is, if a player is willing to rip into one of his own team mates through the media- he should be man enough to tell the reporter to put his name to it.

What you are saying is that the reporter might choose not to put the name in... for what? To keep in good with the guy that is willing to rip his team mates?

Did Bettis, Ward, Kirkland, Porter, Lake, Woodson etc ever say one of their team mates was awful to the media?

Chadman
02-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Tomlin, Colbert & Rooney should go knock on Mr Cook's door tomorrow & ask for the name of the 'source'.

Then they should save some cap space by cutting that player.

And if Mr Cook wants to stay in good in Pittsburgh- best stay in good with the guys in charge. :)

Bluto
02-17-2013, 11:33 AM
My money says it was Ryan Clarck if I had to guess..

papillon
02-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Tomlin, Colbert & Rooney should go knock on Mr Cook's door tomorrow & ask for the name of the 'source'.

Then they should save some cap space by cutting that player.

And if Mr Cook wants to stay in good in Pittsburgh- best stay in good with the guys in charge. :)

I'm of this mindset as well, if the player had issue with Woodley he should have addressed in the locker room face-to-face, not in the press as an anonymous source. This will accomplish nothing except having every player wondering who isn't really on board as being a teammate.

I don't see any scenario where something positive comes of this. Woodley isn't happy, other players are wondering who the snitch is and the Steeler management probably want to know as well.

Pappy

feltdizz
02-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Cut the player who said water is wet and the sky is blue?

pittpete
02-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Who cares who said it.
The good thing is that it was said.
Maybe it'll embarrass him enough that he comes into camp in tiptop shape

supersteeler
02-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Here is my question to all of this. Forget who said what, the fact remains Woodley wasn't playing up to snuff we seen it and I'm sure the coaches seen it. So why didn't they bench him like when they put Mendy in the dog house?

Whats the matter, no confidence in Worlids? I don't want to hear about he makes 65 mill so he has to start, no, playing like your invisible is hurting the team and the coaches should had enough balls to bench his arse.
This is on the coaches too, they benched Mendy, and the other backs as well for underperforming and fumbling the ball, I think they even let someone else start when Brown was making too many mistakes so why was Woodley given a pass?

Someone mentioned Clark was the player that mentioned it, I don't know but he was the first player that came to my mind when I thought about it. I don't care who said it, I'm more mad at coaches ONLY putting certain players in the dog house.

fezziwig
02-17-2013, 12:06 PM
My money says it was Ryan Clarck if I had to guess..

Ha, ha ! You may having something there. Then again, Clark doesn't seem to back off his comment so maybe not. I never cared for when the source is not mentioned with their words. If you have the report saying, " the team loves the guy " that's one thing but to place a bullseye on the guys back and for him not to see who is pulling the trigger, that's just not right.

Anyway, I'm still glad it was said and hopefully Woodley will show up one of these seasons.

Steelhere10
02-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Nothing new, I have been saying that about Woodley every since he got payed he walked in the Rooneys chest.

Oviedo
02-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Pity the player is too gutless to put his name to these accusations, but isn't afraid to rag Woodley out to the press. This is more concerning than any percieved 'lack of shape'.

Or perhaps it's a reporter trying to sell a story..

Instead of worrying about a fellow player "betraying" him perhaps he should take the comments to heart and do something about it. He has been plain awful after he got his big contract.

feltdizz
02-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Instead of worrying about a fellow player "betraying" him perhaps he should take the comments to heart and do something about it. He has been plain awful after he got his big contract.

I agree.... and who knows, the player may have also said it to his face. Its not like the player is dropping an atom bomb... its no secret Woodley looked out of shape this year.

phillyesq
02-17-2013, 01:31 PM
I don't like this nonsense with anonymous players sniping at each other in the news. I'd rather not see the Steelers turn into the Jets of a few years ago.

That said, I do hope that the coaching staff has talked to Woodley and that he comes back next year in shape. With the size of his contract, he has to perform. Cutting him will lead to a huge cap hit, and the only real scenario that ends well for the Steelers is Woodley performing well.

phillyesq
02-17-2013, 01:37 PM

I'm shocked - shocked - that neither the anonymous source nor anybody else was able to trace Woodley's hamstring injuries to the real root cause that you identified - the 3-4 defense. I'm sure that article will follow.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-17-2013, 02:15 PM
I agree.... and who knows, the player may have also said it to his face. Its not like the player is dropping an atom bomb... its no secret Woodley looked out of shape this year.

Didn't Keith Butler say something similar in the recent article where Tom Shaw was saying he could fix Woodley? Wonder if Woodley accepted Shaw's invite.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-17-2013, 02:54 PM
I doubt that it was Clark. If Clark said it he would have attached his name to it.

fezziwig
02-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Do you hurt your hamstring from being out of shape ? Is that the cause of hamstring injuries ?

BradshawsHairdresser
02-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Didn't Keith Butler say something similar in the recent article where Tom Shaw was saying he could fix Woodley? Wonder if Woodley accepted Shaw's invite.

No, Woodley said he didn't need to train with Shaw.

As to the "unnamed source," how do we know that he didn't confront Woodley to his face? How do we know that he didn't let Woodley know he would go talk to the media? What he said was nothing that wasn't obvious, a problem that Coach Butler had already addressed in the media. Besides, how is it worse than Woodley telling the media and his teammates that he was working out, when he obviously wasn't doing much of that?

If it didn't bring such a prohibitive cap hit, maybe Woodley is the one who ought to be cut.

NorthCoast
02-17-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm of this mindset as well, if the player had issue with Woodley he should have addressed in the locker room face-to-face, not in the press as an anonymous source. This will accomplish nothing except having every player wondering who isn't really on board as being a teammate.

I don't see any scenario where something positive comes of this. Woodley isn't happy, other players are wondering who the snitch is and the Steeler management probably want to know as well.

Pappy

Maybe he did address it in the locker room and to no avail. This would be a logical next step in applying some motivation, public admonishment.

feltdizz
02-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Yep... not sure how the guy who points out the obvious is the bad guy. Seems like the 2nd highest paid LB next year who looked like. booty is tye real culprit.

Shoe
02-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Cut the player who said water is wet and the sky is blue?

EXACTLY.

The point being, what part of what this guy suppoedly said, ISN'T true??? It's not like they said he was homosexual, or an a whole, or anything scandalous. All (the unnamed guy) said was what anyone with two eyes who has been watching the Steelers for the last few years, was saying.

Woodley took the money and ran (figuratively). He basically jipped the franchise and us fans out of two prime years of his production--production BTW, that he'll NEVER achieve again. (So few of these guys realize how precious these early years in a career are.)

Northern_Blitz
02-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Chadman understands that aspect- the point is, if a player is willing to rip into one of his own team mates through the media- he should be man enough to tell the reporter to put his name to it.

+1 Really, the player should be man enough to say it to Woodley's face. It's gutless to say it anonymously through the newspaper.

DukieBoy
02-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Agree, it could be a detriment to team cohesion that a player airs it out in the media. Team cohesion seems to have been weakened this past season. I do not see Woodley as a victim of anybody other than himself. His training seems to be less than acceptable, by his choice.

Shoe
02-17-2013, 05:16 PM
+1 Really, the player should be man enough to say it to Woodley's face. It's gutless to say it anonymously through the newspaper.

It's not "gutless" or "being man enough"... It shouldn't be whoever else's job, to tell a PROFESSIONAL how to get ready to do his job. As a doctor or nurse, is it my job to tell my fellow doctors or nurses that they should reflect a healthy lifestyle? As a teacher, should I have to go around and tell my fellow faculty that they should bring the necessary preparations to school? Should I (as a cop), have to tell my fellow cops to get in shape???

It is a ridiculous notion! YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE. Being in-shape is what you are supposed to be!

NJ-STEELER
02-17-2013, 05:29 PM
just want to point out that woodley had 8 or 9 sacks in the first nine games 2 years ago before he got hurt.
right after he got that big contract, so i'm not sure where this 'he's been awful since getting his money' is coming from

Oviedo
02-17-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm shocked - shocked - that neither the anonymous source nor anybody else was able to trace Woodley's hamstring injuries to the real root cause that you identified - the 3-4 defense. I'm sure that article will follow.

In your haste to take a jab you continue to miss the fundamental assertion. It has always been that Woodley does not have the body type or the commitment to fitness to play OLB in the 3-4. He is more naturally a 4-3 DE best suited to rushing the passer not chasing RBs and TEs who are much more athletic than he is. Woodley is a "power player" pure and simple.

papillon
02-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Maybe he did address it in the locker room and to no avail. This would be a logical next step in applying some motivation, public admonishment.

You're correct, maybe it was addressed, for me the next step would be the coaching staff and management, not the media and the fans. And, even then, if it wasn't rectified to my liking, it's time to just be quiet and play football. Trying to embarrass someone rarely has the result for which you are looking, they will typically begin to harbor animosity towards the accuser which will not help team camaraderie or chemistry.

IMO, the media is the last place you want to take a debate that should be kept between teammates.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
02-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Again I ask, is it really any worse than Woodley telling everyone (including teammates and coaches) that he was working out, when he obviously wasn't doing much of that?

First his LB coach addressed it in the media (don't remember anyone taking him to task for that)...now a teammate does the same...if I were LaMarr, I'd take it as a wake-up call...he needs to take Tom Shaw up on his offer, get off his lard ar$$$e, and start getting in shape.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-17-2013, 06:42 PM
I doubt that it was Clark. If Clark said it he would have attached his name to it.
I think we can safely say it wasn't Casey Hampton...

papillon
02-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Again I ask, is it really any worse than Woodley telling everyone (including teammates and coaches) that he was working out, when he obviously wasn't doing much of that?

First his LB coach addressed it in the media (don't remember anyone taking him to task for that)...now a teammate does the same...if I were LaMarr, I'd take it as a wake-up call...he needs to take Tom Shaw up on his offer, get off his lard ar$$$e, and start getting in shape.

His manager (coach) is not his peer and as in any business can use the methods he believes can be successful in motivating players, they may work or not, but it is his prerogative. A peer typically is not looked on very kindly when they take other employees or players to task for their work or preparation for work. The only players that were close to playing up to snuff this past year were Clark, Taylor and Timmons. Anyone else is throwing stones while living in a glass house. Whoever said it, maybe ought to take a look in the mirror and ask himself: Did I do everything that I could to help this team win football games? Instead of sniping at Woodley.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
02-17-2013, 06:55 PM
What was said was pretty much what everyone could see anyway: Woodley was awful, and he came in out of shape...

Steelerphile
02-17-2013, 06:59 PM
I am glad one of his peers said so. Even if it goes to him in roundabout way through the media. I'm sure Woodley will be able to figure out who said it, if he doesn't already know. So I don't think it is cowardly or lacking in ethics. I think the teammate basically wants what is best for the Woodley and for the team. Sometimes you have to hurt someone's feelings to get them to shape up. Can't be nicey-nice too much. Woodley can more easily blow off criticism from fans or media than he can from peers.

supersteeler
02-17-2013, 07:10 PM
I found this quote by James Harrison calling out teammates, I'm not implying he called out Woodley but you never know.
Here is the quote.

"He then offered teammates Ben Rothlisberger and Mendenhall up on the sacrificial fire of his temper tantrum calling Mendenhall a "fumble machine" and telling Big Ben to, "Stop acting like Peyton Manning. You aint that and you know it, man."

Read this by Jennifer Lewis,
James Harrison Loose cannon on and off the field.

Steelhere10
02-17-2013, 07:13 PM
just want to point out that woodley had 8 or 9 sacks in the first nine games 2 years ago before he got hurt.
right after he got that big contract, so i'm not sure where this 'he's been awful since getting his money' is coming fromIf you remember that, then you should remember the first 3 games of that season he had maybe 1 sack then Tomlin called him out. Then he went on a Sack tear the next couple of games.

Steelhere10
02-17-2013, 07:14 PM
It shouldn't take that if you are one of the highest paid on the team.

Steelhere10
02-17-2013, 07:20 PM
My correction, it was 4 games in and he was called out. At that point he only had 1.5 sacks through the first 4 games.

feltdizz
02-17-2013, 07:31 PM
When you get the big bucks best believe other players on the team who could be cap casulties are pretty PO'ed at Woodley.

Does it really take that much effort or attention to tell a reporter what we already know? Its not like players were missing practice or calling in sick so they could research Woodleys BMI and calorie intake.

I doubt this player called up the reporter to tell them about Woodleys fatness...

Steelhere10
02-17-2013, 07:35 PM
http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76575
Here's a forum discussing Woodley half ass effort that season after getting paid.

Chadman
02-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Perhaps only Pap is understanding what Chadman is saying.

No problem with a teammate airing a grievance with Woodley if they have one. But don't go to the media,m and anonymously snipe at a player. It does NOTHING for team cohesion- and with so many faces about to leave the room, you can bet your a$$ they need team cohesion next season.

If this 'source' has gone to Woodley themselves- why wouldn't he be named in the article? The cat would already be out of the bag.

This IS gutless. It could be the 4th string OLB P.O'ed he can't get in front of Woodley on the pecking order, trying to smear the guy in front of him.

The comparison earlier with when James Harrison called out Mendenhall & Ben is the PERFECT eample of how it's done. You got a problem? Fine- but let the guy know who it is that bitching behind your back.

This chicken poop accusation is typical of the lack of leadership this team suffered through last season.

Chadman
02-17-2013, 08:14 PM
And for the record- this is the perfect opportunity for Tomlin & Co to get the team chemistry sorted. Find the gutless source, call him out, and cut him.

This sets the tone for the team, no rats on board thank you.

squidkid
02-17-2013, 09:19 PM
who cares who it was. im glad someone on the team made it public. maybe that teammate was tired of woodley letting the team down by not being in shape and faking injury.

squidkid
02-17-2013, 09:20 PM
And for the record- this is the perfect opportunity for Tomlin & Co to get the team chemistry sorted. Find the gutless source, call him out, and cut him.

tomlin is the most gutless of all

Oviedo
02-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Amazing how so many want to make the person who called out Woodley the villain and the non-performing, out of shape Woodley some kind of victim. Woodley is the one letting the team down. Great someone called him on it. I could care less who it is. If it upsets Woodley get his butt into training and into shape and do something about it on the field.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-17-2013, 10:06 PM
What does it do for team chemistry when your franchise QB is whining and belly aching in the media about his new OC and the offense he is going to be in charge of running? Does he get a pass that he didn't keep it behind closed doors because it's known he is the one saying it? I could argue that actually makes it worse.

Sugar
02-17-2013, 10:17 PM
What does it do for team chemistry when your franchise QB is whining and belly aching in the media about his new OC and the offense he is going to be in charge of running? Does he get a pass that he didn't keep it behind closed doors because it's known he is the one saying it? I could argue that actually makes it worse.

Perhaps I missed something, but when did Ben whine or bellyache in the media about Haley? I know that there was some speculation when one didn't call the other fast enough for some people's taste. However, I don't recall Ben ever going on a tear about Haley.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Perhaps I missed something, but when did Ben whine or bellyache in the media about Haley? I know that there was some speculation when one didn't call the other fast enough for some people's taste. However, I don't recall Ben ever going on a tear about Haley.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-apologizes-offensive-coordinator-todd-haley-comments-121912

quick google search showed this but there were more instances before and during the season. Mostly little digs that were fairly transparent. Some he backtracked and said he was misunderstood.

NJ-STEELER
02-17-2013, 11:01 PM
It shouldn't take that if you are one of the highest paid on the team.

and when he was one of the lowest players on the team, we're you upset at the FO for not giving him a contract earlier?

regardless of when he started to pick it up that year (hey, sometimes you just dont get to the Qb) he was above his average when he got injured 2 years ago. how is that a sign that he was slacking off his routine. a routine where he has has outplayed his rookie contract for 4 years.

Sugar
02-17-2013, 11:02 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-apologizes-offensive-coordinator-todd-haley-comments-121912

quick google search showed this but there were more instances before and during the season. Mostly little digs that were fairly transparent. Some he backtracked and said he was misunderstood.

You take that as whining or bellyaching?? Really?? All those quoted in the article seemed to be completely cool with each other at the end of the day. If that is all it takes to hurt team chemistry then the Steelers are in real trouble.

NJ-STEELER
02-17-2013, 11:08 PM

??

his new offense coordinator was hired in the offseason around this time last year

the article you posted was from a game in december. and his "whining" consisted of

Question. why didnt you go to heath miller in the 2nd half

ben's answer. i dont know why we moved away from it. it was successful in the 1st half. you would have to ask the OC

Djfan
02-17-2013, 11:34 PM
The whole Ben vs. Haley thing is media fabrication IMO.

I have noticed that Woodley has been VERY quiet on facebook since this article came out. He is usually all over it. I hope it makes things more productive for him.

One more thing - Clark has deleted his twitter account recently. Hmmm.....

phillyesq
02-17-2013, 11:34 PM
In your haste to take a jab you continue to miss the fundamental assertion. It has always been that Woodley does not have the body type or the commitment to fitness to play OLB in the 3-4. He is more naturally a 4-3 DE best suited to rushing the passer not chasing RBs and TEs who are much more athletic than he is. Woodley is a "power player" pure and simple.

The first of those plays where he was injured he was chasing Tom Brady while rushing the passer.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-18-2013, 12:19 AM

No matter who it is?

What if it's Big Ben? Or Timmons? You're really going to cut them just because they stated the obvious?

SS Laser
02-18-2013, 12:43 AM
The whole Ben vs. Haley thing is media fabrication IMO.

I have noticed that Woodley has been VERY quiet on facebook since this article came out. He is usually all over it. I hope it makes things more productive for him.

One more thing - Clark has deleted his twitter account recently. Hmmm.....

Clarks twitter was shut down before the super bowl because he was getting hammered there saying he wanted the Ravens to send Ray Ray out on top.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-18-2013, 12:44 AM
??

his new offense coordinator was hired in the offseason around this time last year

the article you posted was from a game in december. and his "whining" consisted of

ben's answer. i dont know why we moved away from it. it was successful in the 1st half. you would have to ask the OC

As I said, this is one instance among others and if questioning he play calling and not going no huddle are insignificant, basically saying the guy above him made the wrong calls are nothing, then questioning an equals judgement on workouts should be on the same level in regards to team chemistry.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-18-2013, 12:48 AM
Steelers | Would like LaMarr Woodley to work out differently (http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=839532-steelers-would-like-lamarr-woodley-to-work-out-differently)
Sun, 17 Feb 2013 17:54:45 -0800 The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers) believe LB LaMarr Woodley (http://www.kffl.com/player/13459/nfl/lamarr-woodley) (ankle, groin, hamstring) dealt with several injuries last season, including a training camp groin injury, and an ankle and hamstring injury in the regular season. The team believes that Woodley needs to approach his offseason workouts with more diligence to avoid the kinds of injuries that have dogged him the past two seasons.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2LDsK9EbG

grotonsteel
02-18-2013, 01:50 AM
??

Well Said...

There are some Steelers fans who just want to rip Big Ben no matter what...Reading in between lines is their fave passtime.

Chadman
02-18-2013, 06:14 AM
Amazing how so many want to make the person who called out Woodley the villain and the non-performing, out of shape Woodley some kind of victim. Woodley is the one letting the team down. Great someone called him on it. I could care less who it is. If it upsets Woodley get his butt into training and into shape and do something about it on the field.

And this post, right here, shows how people read what they want to read in order to justify their opinion. Show us the defense of Woodley. Who has defended him? Made him a victim? The issue some of us have is the showing of disrespect to teammates, and the lack of professionalism shown by going to the media and sniping. If this is a sign of how the Steelers behave, then no wonder they went 8-8. Pitiful.

flippy
02-18-2013, 08:44 AM
My theory is it was Tomlin or Rooney who said it and told the writer to call it an unnamed player.

Worilds looks great at Woodley's spot. I think the D would be fine with him and James on the outside. And we're gonna need James replacement in the next couple years.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-18-2013, 09:48 AM
My theory is it was Tomlin or Rooney who said it and told the writer to call it an unnamed player.
Uh-oh...now Rooney's either going to have to cut Tomlin...or himself.

Worilds looks great at Woodley's spot. I think the D would be fine with him and James on the outside.Agreed. But I'm not optimistic that James will be here this coming season.

And we're gonna need James replacement in the next couple years.
I think we may well need him THIS year.

Oviedo
02-18-2013, 09:50 AM

Worilds looks great at Woodley's spot. I think the D would be fine with him and James on the outside. And we're gonna need James replacement in the next couple years.

Actually we need James' replacement now because he is done.

phillyesq
02-18-2013, 09:56 AM
And this post, right here, shows how people read what they want to read in order to justify their opinion. Show us the defense of Woodley. Who has defended him? Made him a victim? The issue some of us have is the showing of disrespect to teammates, and the lack of professionalism shown by going to the media and sniping. If this is a sign of how the Steelers behave, then no wonder they went 8-8. Pitiful.

Great point, Chadman. I'm certainly not going to defend Woodley's poor conditioning, and I don't think anybody has.

Having watched the Jets implode with anonymous sources sniping at each other in the paper (not their only problem, of course) I would rather not see the Steelers turn into the Jets...

Oviedo
02-18-2013, 10:00 AM

Pot or kettle, your choice.

My point was we are losing sight of the fact that Woodley open himself to this situation by his "lack of professionalism." No one encourages players sniping with each other but go to the root cause and it is Woodley.

feltdizz
02-18-2013, 10:08 AM

I think you have it reversed...these stories typically pop up AFTER we have a bad season...

I don't think it's the reason we went .500.

Djfan
02-18-2013, 11:55 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139980/article/clark-woodley-comments-show-steelers-fracture?campaign=Twitter_atl

Clark: Woodley comments show Steelers 'fracture'

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:34 a.m.

The league's least valuable player -- anonymous teammate -- emerged from hiding this weekend to rip (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139937/article/lamarr-woodley-reportedly-ripped-by-steelers-player) on Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) linebacker Lamarr Woodley.
"He was awful," the teammate said of Woodley to the Post-Gazette. "He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it. He wasn't in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt."
Woodley isn't going anywhere. He's one of the core pieces to the Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) defense and they may need him more than ever with James Harrison (http://www.nfl.com/player/jamesharrison/2504844/profile) a potential salary cap casualty this offseason. Safety Ryan Clark (http://www.nfl.com/player/ryanclark/2504899/profile), speaking on NFL A-M, wishes the anonymous teammate kept his comments private.
"My biggest problem with that is not LaMarr, or is not someone's feelings about LaMarr," Clark said. "My problem is now its public. We were talking about the Ravens (http://www.nfl.com/teams/baltimoreravens/profile?team=BAL) earlier, we were talking about the brotherhood, we were talking about the family that they were. We all have arguments with our brothers, sisters, cousins, but that stays in house. What you talk about then stays there and it doesn’t get out to the public. So that is the problem. ...
"That shows that this team that is normally close, you had the Joey Porters, the Alan Fanecas, just down the line, leader after leader, this team was close-knit. It shows there is a fracture in that. I think that is the most disappointing thing about that coming out."
Clark went on to emphasize that Woodley is already training in Arizona this offseason. Perhaps Woodley knows that he didn't do enough last year to live up to his contract.

There you go.

Jooser
02-18-2013, 12:04 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139980/article/clark-woodley-comments-show-steelers-fracture?campaign=Twitter_atl

There you go.

Yep, I was just about to post that article Dj. The Steelers are fractured and it shows, this is a direct reflection of leadership on the team, from the coaching staff on down. Yes Woodley was out of shape and had a bad year, but it's more disturbing that someone is airing the dirty laundry to the public. The lack of loyalty manifests itself on the field on Sundays, the same way Woodley being out of shape results in poor performance.

Oviedo
02-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Yes. Lord forbid a professional football hero is put in a bad light in public because of "insider information." If it is true, then Woodley was a direct contributor to us missing the play offs and he should be held accountable to the organization, his teammates and the fans. Let each of them choose how they view this. Don't agree that this is "Top Secret" and only those with a clearance should know. Just watching the games I think most already suspected this. It has just now been confirmed.

Oviedo
02-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Yep, I was just about to post that article Dj. The Steelers are fractured and it shows, this is a direct reflection of leadership on the team, from the coaching staff on down. Yes Woodley was out of shape and had a bad year, but it's more disturbing that someone is airing the dirty laundry to the public. The lack of loyalty manifests itself on the field on Sundays, the same way Woodley being out of shape results in poor performance.

How exactly does "the lack of loyalty manifests itself on the field on Sundays?" I'm think that is not true at all. What manifests itself on the field on Sundays is players who are not conditioned and can't play to the fullest of their God given abilities.

BURGH86STEEL
02-18-2013, 12:38 PM
It's not a direct reflection of the leadership on the team. Some people are going to express their opinions, come into camp out of shape, not give 100%, ect. if the leadership is great, good, or bad. Grown individuals know the repercussions of their actions. Grown individuals can't be controlled and are going to do what they want. I wish people would stop blaming others for grown individual's actions. The individual is at fault, not the owners, GM, coaches, or teammates.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-18-2013, 12:44 PM
if clark says it matters, I'm going to believe him over message board gurus.

not defending woodley, just clarks viewpoint.

Oviedo
02-18-2013, 01:09 PM

There you go.

Mentioning Faneca as "close knit" is laughable. He pretty much did everything he could to institute chaos once he didn't get his way.

feltdizz
02-18-2013, 01:19 PM
uhh... Hines Ward ran his mouth like crazy...
Ben loves to go against the coaches and release injuries we never knew about...
Harrison called out Ben in a magazine...

this is the typical Steeler "drama" in a quiet off-season after a bad year.

I'll take this over rape accusations, DUI's and other criminal mischief any day of the week. Woodleys fat and lazy. OMG!!! We are unraveling. ;-)

Oviedo
02-18-2013, 01:26 PM
uhh... Hines Ward ran his mouth like crazy...
Ben loves to go against the coaches and release injuries we never knew about...
Harrison called out Ben in a magazine...

this is the typical Steeler "drama" in a quiet off-season after a bad year.

I'll take this over rape accusations, DUI's and other criminal mischief any day of the week. Woodleys fat and lazy. OMG!!! We are unraveling. ;-)

$$$$ and someone was a "tattle tail hanging on the bull's tail and when the bull starts to pee you may have a cup of tea." Big whoop!

Steelhere10
02-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Blame Tomlin.... For this happening at least that's what some want to say. I blame fat boy for taking the money and running.

phillyesq
02-18-2013, 02:02 PM
For what it's worth, one of the beat writers had this to say:

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib #Steelers (http://www.planetsteelers.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash) LaMarr Woodley's weight had nothing to do with his dropoff. Quick throws and dropping into coverage more b/c Harrison couldn't did

I don't agree with this premise in the least. Watching Woodley, it was clear that he was not an explosive player off the edge as he had been in past seasons.

feltdizz
02-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Blame Tomlin.... For this happening at least that's what some want to say. I blame fat boy for taking the money and running.

blame everyone but the fat boy...

SteelBucks
02-18-2013, 02:46 PM
For what it's worth, one of the beat writers had this to say:

I don't agree with this premise in the least. Watching Woodley, it was clear that he was not an explosive player off the edge as he had been in past seasons.

Sounds like Kaboly is protecting his job as the Steelers beat writer. Even dropping into coverage, Woodley was a non-factor.

hawaiiansteel
02-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Ryan Clark: Woodley blast shows “fracture” within Steelers

Posted by Josh Alper on February 18, 2013

Over the weekend, there were a couple of different articles in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette referencing Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley’s need to work harder this offseason.

Ed Bouchette wrote one of them with the general view that the team wants to see more effort on Woodley’s part. Ron Cook got an anonymous teammate of Woodley’s to share a scathing assessment of his teammate.

“He was awful,” the teammate said. ”He tells us he works out, but we didn’t see it. He wasn’t in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt.”

Safety Ryan Clark has now weighed in, although he’s not taking any position on whether or not Woodley let the team down last year. He’s more upset about the fact that the unnamed teammate went public with his complaints and aired his grievances on the NFL Network Monday.

“We all have arguments with our brothers, sisters, cousins, but that stays in-house. What you talk about then stays there and it doesn’t get out to the public. So that is the problem,” Clark said. “That shows that this team that is normally close, you had the Joey Porters, the Alan Fanecas, just down the line, leader after leader, this team was close-knit. It shows there is a fracture in that. I think that is the most disappointing thing about that coming out.”

The Steelers have done a good job of reloading as key veterans shuffle off the team in recent years, but it isn’t guaranteed that the next generation is always going to pick up where the previous one left off. One comment doesn’t mean that’s what’s happening in Pittsburgh right now, but it does mean that Clark and other established leaders might have some extra work to do this offseason to keep things where they want them in the organization.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/18/ryan-clark-woodley-blast-shows-fracture-within-steelers/

Terrible Towlie
02-18-2013, 03:37 PM

Totally agree. Woodley is supposed to be a team leader. He is supposed to set an example. The Steelers have paid him a ton of money and he comes in out of shape and not ready to play. That's what's wrong with this team. Who/where are our team leaders? Where are the Farriors, Wards, etc? I don't see as many players holding each other accountable. Who's there to set the tone for the younger guys to follow their lead. They are not there. These guys are doing their own thing and it's only going to get worse, if they don't start addressing it now.

The fact is, Woodley has been lazy. Keeping it in house obviously hasn't worked, so maybe having it splashed in the national media will embarrass him enough to show up in shape next year.

I don't know about y'all, but its pissed me off losing to the F-ING Ravens. Remember the Ass kicking we had the year before last to start the season? You would think this would motivate these guys and Woodley comes in this year out of shape. Is he motivated by only money?

squidkid
02-18-2013, 04:06 PM
and when he was one of the lowest players on the team, we're you upset at the FO for not giving him a contract earlier?

regardless of when he started to pick it up that year (hey, sometimes you just dont get to the Qb) he was above his average when he got injured 2 years ago. how is that a sign that he was slacking off his routine. a routine where he has has outplayed his rookie contract for 4 years.

nobody forced woodley to sign that rookie contract.

squidkid
02-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Totally agree. Woodley is supposed to be a team leader. He is supposed to set an example. The Steelers have paid him a ton of money and he comes in out of shape and not ready to play. That's what's wrong with this team. Who/where are our team leaders? Where are the Farriors, Wards, etc? I don't see as many players holding each other accountable. Who's there to set the tone for the younger guys to follow their lead. They are not there. These guys are doing their own thing and it's only going to get worse, if they don't start addressing it now.

The fact is, Woodley has been lazy. Keeping it in house obviously hasn't worked, so maybe having it splashed in the national media will embarrass him enough to show up in shape next year.

I don't know about y'all, but its pissed me off losing to the F-ING Ravens. Remember the Ass kicking we had the year before last to start the season? You would think this would motivate these guys and Woodley comes in this year out of shape. Is he motivated by only money?

woodely does all his tough talk on facebook and twitter

feltdizz
02-18-2013, 04:30 PM
I like Clark... but he talks like he isn't on this team anymore. He is in the locker room. Where are the leaders? Clark should be one of the leaders IMO. Why the hell is Clark whining in the media?

Grow a pair, let Woodley know whether he likes it or not he is viewed as a leader since he gets paid big bucks. He should lead by example or with words. Everyone thought it was cute when he said Flacco would never win a championship but guess what fat boy? Jokes on you.

IMO we have too many players who love to talk but they talk about dumb $%#$. Keisel grows a beard and makes jokes about our age. Mendenhall makes jokes about Bin Laden and not showing up. Ben jokes about being injured, not injured, loving and hating Haley, Clark is an excellent speaker but seems to prefer ESPN First Take over Steelers First Take. Pouncey loves to promote hip hop and bark on the sidelines...

Serious question... who the hell is our leader in 2013 going forward? All I hear is deflections and excuses.

supersteeler
02-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Guys, I'm more concerned now about our Steelers than I was after the season ended. We have cap issues to contend with, the draft, and who will be here next season. Now, players are coming out of the woodwork and making their thoughts public.
We already know Woodley had a bad year, for a player to call him out and exclude others on the team isn't right. Woodley isn't the only reason they underachieved this season and finished the season 8-8.

Its time the FO respond to these players that spill the beans to the media before our Steelers unravel right in front of our eyes. We have coaches running to the hills, players calling others out, something is wrong here and its up to the leaders of the organization to address it.

As I said in a previous thread, if Lamar was out of shape or not 100% why did the coaches let him start?

We haven't had a draft yet, and I'm not liking what I'm hearing.

NJ-STEELER
02-18-2013, 05:32 PM
nobody forced woodley to sign that rookie contract.

??

you do realize each draft pick is (sort of) slotted to what the pick the year before got.

he could have easily held out either after his 2nd or 3rd year for a bigger contract because he outperformed it

Eddie Spaghetti
02-18-2013, 05:37 PM
I didn't perceive what clark said to be whining. He only said things like this should stay in house.

guess we all hear/read differently.

NJ-STEELER
02-18-2013, 05:49 PM
I didn't perceive what clark said to be whining. He only said things like this should stay in house.

guess we all hear/read differently.

he didnt sound happy that this leak info got out.

preferred that player keep it "in house"

Oviedo
02-18-2013, 06:15 PM
he didnt sound happy that this leak info got out.

preferred that player keep it "in house"

Perhaps as a "team leader" who has no problem talking to the local media whenever a microphone is withing 10 feet of him he should have addressed the issue directly with Woodley.

I wonder if Woodley ever apologized to the team for letting them down? Unlikely since he probably feels no one should question him. I'm glad someone did and I hope he is embrassed and angry enough to do something about it likeget into the best shape of his life and be the player he was two years ago.

NJ-STEELER
02-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Perhaps as a "team leader" who has no problem talking to the local media whenever a microphone is withing 10 feet of him he should have addressed the issue directly with Woodley.

I wonder if Woodley ever apologized to the team for letting them down? Unlikely since he probably feels no one should question him. I'm glad someone did and I hope he is embrassed and angry enough to do something about it likeget into the best shape of his life and be the player he was two years ago.

apologized for letting the team down??? are you serious?

should have timmons apologized for letting the team down asnhe sat on the bench his first 2 years as a later draft pick was starting, sacking and helping us win the superbowl?

Eddie Spaghetti
02-18-2013, 06:24 PM
not a chance.

timmons is a favored "replaceable carbon unit".

this reaction to this non story is hilarious. I can't keep track of who all I am supposed to be mad at.

Oviedo
02-18-2013, 06:29 PM
not a chance.

timmons is a favored "replaceable carbon unit".

this reaction to this non story is hilarious. I can't keep track of who all I am supposed to be mad at.

I am hopeful you are actually trainable and are learning. They are all replaceable carbon units but Timmons just happens to be the best player we have on the defense now. So he is less replaceable than Woodley, Harrison, Troy and others.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-18-2013, 06:40 PM
trainable? Yeah right.

I just find it hypocritical when you refuse to swear allegiance to any "replaceable carbon unit" when it fits your agenda and then howl anytime anyone levels a slight against timmons. Don't get me wrong, I was a timmons critic, but if he can continue the production he had last year, then he has earned his money, unlike woodley to this point. But just don't act like you have the high road when it comes to having favorite players and biases. Its just not true and makes you look unseemly.

flippy
02-18-2013, 06:49 PM
I am hopeful you are actually trainable and are learning. They are all replaceable carbon units but Timmons just happens to be the best player we have on the defense now. So he is less replaceable than Woodley, Harrison, Troy and others.

When Troy and James aren't at the top of their game, this defense doesn't get turnovers period.

I'd even argue Hampton is tougher to replace than Timmy. We desperately need to start collapsing the pocket to get edge pressure on opposing QBs which will turn into mistakes and turnovers.

We don't have another true nose on the roster and that's the whole key to DL's defense. Actually it's probably the strongest argument why we should consider more 4 man DLines.

NJ-STEELER
02-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Steelers | Would like LaMarr Woodley to work out differently (http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=839532-steelers-would-like-lamarr-woodley-to-work-out-differently)
Sun, 17 Feb 2013 17:54:45 -0800 The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers) believe LB LaMarr Woodley (http://www.kffl.com/player/13459/nfl/lamarr-woodley) (ankle, groin, hamstring) dealt with several injuries last season, including a training camp groin injury, and an ankle and hamstring injury in the regular season. The team believes that Woodley needs to approach his offseason workouts with more diligence to avoid the kinds of injuries that have dogged him the past two seasons.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2LDsK9EbG

Maybe the team can send the same memo to Troy and his annual calf injury

NJ-STEELER
02-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Right

im not happy about woods under performing season marred by injuries but where the slack given to some some of the other players on the defense.

If Woodley had Timmons production In their first 5 years. He probably doesn't even get re signed

Steelhere10
02-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Right

im not happy about woods under performing season marred by injuries but where the slack given to some some of the other players on the defense.

If Woodley had Timmons production In their first 5 years. He probably doesn't even get re signed
The difference between Timmons and Woodley, is that Timmons hustled before and after getting paid whether or not he is making plays or not. Fat boy on the other hand took the money and said f?! ( the team.

NJ-STEELER
02-18-2013, 10:09 PM
really,

he hustled so much his first 2 years here that a # 15 overall pick couldnt beat out larry freakin foote?

once again, 8/9 sacks in 8 games after he signed that contract. if thats the case, i hope he says F?!( the team for a full 16 games season.

did timmons say "F?! this team, i'm making 1st round money" in his frist 3 years here? did he even make as many splash plays in those 3 years here as woodley did in half a season when you think he said" F*** this team, i got my money"

NorthCoast
02-18-2013, 10:43 PM

Sorry Chadman, have to disagree. Respect is earned, not granted. It is pretty clear that Woodley hasn't earned the respect of at least one teammate if the source is true.
Maybe going to the media wasn't the most thoughtful approach, but there was some clear venting and frustration in the words spoken. And, as was pointed out, different people are motivated differently. Would you question the HC speaking out in a PC that Woodley needs to change his ways?

Sugar
02-18-2013, 11:42 PM
Sorry Chadman, have to disagree. Respect is earned, not granted. It is pretty clear that Woodley hasn't earned the respect of at least one teammate if the source is true.
Maybe going to the media wasn't the most thoughtful approach, but there was some clear venting and frustration in the words spoken. And, as was pointed out, different people are motivated differently. Would you question the HC speaking out in a PC that Woodley needs to change his ways?

If Tomlin calls a player out in a PC, it's much different from a teammate doing it and then hiding in anonymity. It seems that the problem many have with the "source" is the sniping behind the backs of his teammates, not necessarily the opinion expressed.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Undoubtedly, it's bad for team morale when you have players ripping teammates in the media while remaining anonymous.

What's worse for team morale is when you have a high-paid player who half-ar$$es it, yet continues to start and play ahead of harder-working teammates.

If LaMarr had been benched when he should have, we likely wouldn't be having this conversation.

hawaiiansteel
02-19-2013, 02:33 AM
Comments on LaMarr Woodley and Now Ryan Clark’s Comments Should have All Been Kept Behind Closed Doors

By Kyle Curry on February 18, 2013

Ryan Clark is turning the comments about LaMarr Woodley into a much bigger deal than they previously were. This is now becoming a big issue in the media and will be stuck in the media, likely, into training camp. Yesterday the following un-sourced comments came, allegedly, from one of Woodley’s teammates on the Steelers roster:

“He was awful,” the teammate said. ”He tells us he works out, but we didn’t see it. He wasn’t in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt.”

With no one linked to these comments many have speculated that they may be fabricated. If they were fabricated they are making a much bigger impact than the creators probably thought they would. However, no matter where the comments came from Ryan Clark has taken them very seriously. Clark joined NFL AM on the NFL Network this morning and said the following:

“We all have arguments with our brothers, sisters, cousins, but that stays in-house. What you talk about then stays there and it doesn’t get out to the public. So that is the problem,” Clark said. “That shows that this team that is normally close, you had the Joey Porters, the Alan Fanecas, just down the line, leader after leader, this team was close-knit. It shows there is a fracture in that. I think that is the most disappointing thing about that coming out.”

Clark then joined the “Dave Dameshek Football Program” (Full Interview Here) with the following comments:

“I would say it had to be defense, that’s what I would think,” Clark told Dameshek. “I think it’s someone that plays defense. I would say they felt personally let down by it, ‘I wish he was out there with us’ type of situation.”

“It wasn’t me,” Clark joked. “If it was me, the concussions have made me forget about it.”

Then Clark returned to NFL Network this evening on NFL Total Access and continued to discuss the topic:

“I think the toughest thing, dealing with our situation, is losing,” said Clark. “When you start to lose then these things become problems. Obviously if we go 12-4, and we are in the playoffs, Woodley’s play is not pointed out as a reason to why we weren’t winning games, and then we don’t have an “anonymous” player come out and say something, which to me is cowardly.

“It makes me sad to be a leader of that team, that we don’t have enough control of our locker-room, where guys feel like they have a brotherhood and a family, where they can communicate things between each other and keep them out of the media.”

Now Woodley and the player that made these comments have both been called out by fellow teammates within two days of each other. The first comments should have been kept behind locked doors in the first place. No player should call out another player especially to the media. If these comments were fabricated by Cook then shame on him for starting this whole thing in the first place, but for now we will give him the benefit of the doubt.

As for Clark’s comments (all of them) they should have been kept behind locked doors as well. Talk to your teammates tell them that this is not acceptable and move on from it; be a leader to your team and help shut down this media attention. Instead Clark joins three different media programs and now has turned this small issue into something that is blowing up on any Steelers fans Twitter feed.

All of these comments should have been kept within Steelers facilities and the fact that they have all been made public is making this rift in the Steelers locker room look worse and worse. It’s time for the leaders on this team to step up and put a lid on this. Keeping it in the media and doing an NFL program tour, like Clark is doing, is only making things look worse.

Clark should be a leader on this team and should know better than to go on national television and talk about a story. How hypocritical is it for him to call out a player for taking something to the media and not keeping it within the team by calling that player out on a bigger media spectrum? C’mon Clark you’re better than that now get this thing under wraps and have some internal discussions. The last thing this team needs is distractions following an 8-8 season.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/comments_on_lamarr_woodley_and_now_ryan_clarks_com ments_should_have_all_been_kept_behind_closed_door s/12943852

Steelhere10
02-19-2013, 07:55 AM
really,

he hustled so much his first 2 years here that a # 15 overall pick couldnt beat out larry freakin foote?

once again, 8/9 sacks in 8 games after he signed that contract. if thats the case, i hope he says F?!( the team for a full 16 games season.

did timmons say "F?! this team, i'm making 1st round money" in his frist 3 years here? did he even make as many splash plays in those 3 years here as woodley kdid in half a season when you think he said" F*** this team, i got my money"

Really is that your argument, name me any player drafted in Lebeau D that started his first year. The only reason is because the vacancy left by Porter. And like I said Woodley was called out by Tomlin after his big contract, he only had 1.5 sacks in the first 4 games before that.

fezziwig
02-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Just for the fun of it, whom do you guys believe made the comments about Woodley ? I think it's a tough guess for the reason because we pretty much know who does the talking on the team and that is Clark, Clark, Clark and Clark. After him everyone else is sort of quite.

You know it's not Troy.

It could be a malcontent backup.

Maybe Ike Taylor, Foote, Lewis, Hampton.

I don't think James Harrison, he doesn't have any trouble putting his name to it.

I wonder who the Vanderjack of the team is ?

As for Clark, he talks out of both sides of his mouth. If he wants to keep this stuff in house then, stop fueling the fire. I am glad it was said and hopefully all players will realize they are accountable for their condition and performance.

supersteeler
02-19-2013, 09:53 AM
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119924-ed-fat-contract-did-not-change-woodley

Ed Bouchette states, Woodley's contract didn't change Woodley.

feltdizz
02-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Just for the fun of it, whom do you guys believe made the comments about Woodley ? I think it's a tough guess for the reason because we pretty much know who does the talking on the team and that is Clark, Clark, Clark and Clark. After him everyone else is sort of quite.

You know it's not Troy.

I don't think James Harrison, he doesn't have any trouble putting his name to it.

As for Clark, he talks out of both sides of his mouth. If he wants to keep this stuff in house then, stop fueling the fire. I am glad it was said and hopefully all players will realize they are accountable for their condition and performance.

Honestly... I think it's Clark. LOL...

feltdizz
02-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Really is that your argument, name me any player drafted in Lebeau D that started his first year. The only reason is because the vacancy left by Porter. And like I said Woodley was called out by Tomlin after his big contract, he only had 1.5 sacks in the first 4 games before that.

It will always be about Timmons.

Steelhere10
02-19-2013, 10:43 AM

You know it's not Troy.

My guess is Hampton then followed by Keisel.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-19-2013, 11:02 AM

You know it's not Troy.

Certainly not Hampton. How would he come out and accuse others of not working out in the off-season?

I also can't see it being a current vet. Things have never been conducted that way. If it was an older guy I could see someone like Hoke who was around the team last summer and might feel bitter that he has ridden off into the sunset while a young guy with a shot to be great is blowing it.

But my real guess is Ziggy. He trimmed a lot of fat last off-season and came in to camp in good shape. Then, the player who helps clear his side, who takes attention off of him, who cleans up the mess, is either out or not playing well. For all of the ripping that Ziggy took this year, if there was a second big body flying in to the fray with him then he isn't missing plays, he is funneling the runner to his LB.

phillyesq
02-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Honestly... I think it's Clark. LOL...

I was kind of thinking the same thing when I heard that Clark had so much to say about it...

feltdizz
02-19-2013, 12:11 PM
I was kind of thinking the same thing when I heard that Clark had so much to say about it...

whoever smelt it..... dealt it

Steelhere10
02-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Lol, that's childhood memories.

Bluto
02-19-2013, 12:45 PM
My guess is Hampton then followed by Keisel.

Thinking it could have been Foote. he seems to speak his mind.

Slapstick
02-19-2013, 12:59 PM
I think Clark did the right thing...

I consider it to be an object lesson to the player (assuming he actually exists) who spoke out of school about Woodley...

Now, that player know what it feels like to be badmouthed in the media...except Clark didn't take shots from a safe hiding place...

feltdizz
02-19-2013, 02:09 PM

I consider it to be an object lesson to the player (assuming he actually exists) who spoke out of school about Woodley...

Now, that player know what it feels like to be badmouthed in the media...except Clark didn't take shots from a safe hiding place...

I don't think I've ever heard of an unnamed source feeling bad about his leak. LOL...

Steelhere10
02-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Now being said that Foote think a coach said it but who really cares it's the truth.

lloydroid
02-19-2013, 03:09 PM
I find no issue with it being an anonymous quote. I think the real story is that it was said and that it was true. I am glad whoever said it did so. Fat boy took that giant contract and then offered almost no effort to continue to be productive. F him. No excuse for being that sloppy and fat when you are getting paid all that $ to offer production.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-19-2013, 03:44 PM
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119924-ed-fat-contract-did-not-change-woodley

Ed Bouchette states, Woodley's contract didn't change Woodley.

Correct. Even before the big contract, Woodley was a slacker. His SOP was to enter the season out-of-shape. He would then play his way into shape, rounding into form in the second half of the season. But that way of doing business hasn't yielded the same kinds of results the past couple of years.

lloydroid
02-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Correct. Even before the big contract, Woodley was a slacker. His SOP was to enter the season out-of-shape. He would then play his way into shape, rounding into form in the second half of the season. But that way of doing business hasn't yielded the same kinds of results the past couple of years.

We paid top dollar for a lazy fat dude. Awesome.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-19-2013, 04:44 PM
We paid top dollar for a lazy fat dude. Awesome.
Yeah, but prior to that, he was always able to play himself into shape. And when he came on with his game, he piled up some seemingly impressive stats (ie., check out his sacks in the playoffs in 2007-2010--11 sacks in just 6 or 7 games!).

I worried when they offered him the big contract, because, along with the training and conditioning issues, I always felt LaMarr had been somewhat overrated, and was a little too one-dimensional...Sacks, IMO, can often be a misleading stat--a good number of Woodley's came when he was totally unblocked, or were coverage sacks, IIRC...LaMarr would disappear for stretches, miss tackles, and be too easily pushed out of plays too often to really be considered a top-flight OLB. Of course, I got considerable objection from some of my Steelers-fans friends when I voiced those concerns...

squidkid
02-19-2013, 04:48 PM
??

you do realize each draft pick is (sort of) slotted to what the pick the year before got.

he could have easily held out either after his 2nd or 3rd year for a bigger contract because he outperformed it

of course i realize that.
once again, was woodley forced to sign it?
sure he could have held out. i dont get the logic in 'he outperformed it'. no he didnt. he voluntarily signed a contract that he agreed with and then went on the field and played. he put forth an effort, that he was satisfied with giving, and got paid for the exact amount that he agreed to.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Crazy offseason. We are all attacking one another like cats and dogs...snipey bitter fans, and now our players are all worthless bums. I got faith that Woodley will come back stronger than ever this year and get the job done after having his eyes opened a little and learning a lesson.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Crazy offseason. We are all attacking one another like cats and dogs...snipey bitter fans, and now our players are all worthless bums. I got faith that Woodley will come back stronger than ever this year and get the job done after having his eyes opened a little and learning a lesson.
I sincerely hope you're right...especially since, with his contract, he will be a Steeler for a few more years...

supersteeler
02-19-2013, 05:25 PM

We still have a core of good players on this team, time for the young bucks to step up and eliminate the gloom and doom that's portrayed out there.
I think Lamar is just as disappointed with his play as we are, he was never 100% last season with his lingering injuries.
We can blame out of shape, too fat, or what ever, what I want to see is a healthy Lamar Woodley playing havoc on the opposition, otherwise it won't be fun watching that defense without Harrison here and a Woodley not 100%.

To his credit he started training early, and seems to be taking this serious. I'm sure he's been reading all the criticism of his play, should be great motivation to come back strong for 2013.

We need Lamar maybe more now than ever, lets all hope he gets it together.

Chadman
02-20-2013, 12:25 AM

Ahh... you're right. If Chadman has been guilty of sniping, (and he has), to anyone on the end of that- humblest apologies.

Chadman
02-20-2013, 12:39 AM

Completely agree. What Clark has done, and what Joe Anonymous has done, are different in that Clark has put his name to his comment. If Woodley, or anyone, has a beef about the comment- they know where to go.

This whole saga has proven that this team lacks discipline & leadership at the moment. There were obvious examples of lack of discipline throughout 2012- and this is just the next stage of ill-discipline. The Steelers need a giant boot up the bum, because regardless of the talent at hand, this lack of discipline, both on & off the field- will derail them again in 2013 if they don't get it sorted.

Dropped ball, lack of effort, lack of thought, dumb penalties. How many games were lost on that, and not on being beaten by a better team?

We can all blame injury- but injury hits every team. And heck- there could be some argument that lack of discipline off the field lead to injury increases in the squad.

Again- back to discipline.

And leadership.

Chadman doesn't care if the comments made about Woodley are right or not. What is important here is that someone broke rank, and chose to air their grievence away from the team- to the media- and obviously knew that this wouldn't sit well, so did all this under the security of 'anonimity'. But teams are built on trust. Discipline. Leadership. None of those things were in evidence when an unknown person attacks another member of his TEAM, publicly through the media. It's the equivalent of an on-field cheap shot.

So yes, bradshaw's hairdresser, Chadman sticks by his claim. Find who it is, and cut them. Whoever broke rank, does not have the Steelers TEAM at heart. If the Steelers FO show some leadership here, they might just get this team back on track in 2013.

IF... this comment came from the coaches, or higher, then that just shows that whoever said it has no idea how to build a team dynamic. And that is going to be a major problem so long as whoever said it is still at the Steelers.

And IF the 'unnamed source' is actually Ron Cook making crap up...well let's hope this bites him on his bum.

hawaiiansteel
02-20-2013, 02:49 AM
Larry Foote: Woodley criticism broke the code

Posted by Josh Alper on February 19, 2013

On Monday, we heard Steelers safety Ryan Clark say that criticisms of linebacker LaMarr Woodley’s work ethic from an anonymous teammate showed a “fracture” within the Steelers locker room.

Another veteran defensive player chimed in on Tuesday and agreed with Clark’s sentiment. Linebacker Larry Foote said he thought that blasting another member of the team publicly deviated from the way that the Steelers have conducted their business for a long time and wondered if the quote — “He was awful. He tells us he works out, but we didn’t see it. He wasn’t in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt.” – actually came from one of the team’s coaches.

That fits with another more general report that the Steelers want to see Woodley work harder this offseason and would fit better with Foote’s notion that Steelers players don’t slam one another publicly.

“I mean there have been fights in the locker room, there’s been stuff on the airplane that never got out and that’s the Steeler way,” Foote said on 93.7 The Fan, via SteelersDepot.com. “So I’ll be very surprised if a player really did that and hopefully his name don’t come up, or if he was, he’s one of the players that’s no longer here. I mean, you’re breaking the code when you do that. You’re breaking the code.”

Foote said he thinks Woodley will rebound in 2013, although it’s up in the air whether Foote will be around to see it. He’s an unrestricted free agent this offseason and may not return to a Steeler team that’s said goodbye to several veterans in recent years. If he does go, it will be up to Clark and others to make sure the Steeler way continues to be one they think is worthy of the franchise.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/19/larry-foote-woodley-criticism-broke-the-code/