PDA

View Full Version : Chance Warmack likely to be there @ 17 when we pick

supersteeler
02-14-2013, 06:23 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/history-tells-us-alabama-g-chance-warmack-likely-to-be-available-at-17th-overall/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=history-tells-us-alabama-g-chance-warmack-likely-to-be-available-at-17th-overall

I know....it's been said, we won't pick him even if he's there, but it would be tempting. We could end up having one of the best O-lines in the AFC with him. He can play tackle too and fit the BPA motto.

squidkid
02-14-2013, 06:28 PM
i wanted him a month ago but dont know if he will fit the zone blocking scheme

Mister Pittsburgh
02-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Too big & fat.

BigRob
02-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Too big & fat.

Wow, I hope you are being sarcastic or joking.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-14-2013, 07:08 PM
good write up on Ramon Foster too.

some here should read it.

Captain Lemming
02-14-2013, 07:31 PM
General manager, Kevin Colbert as the Steeler ready for their first pick........

steelerkeylargo
02-14-2013, 07:32 PM

I second that

BigRob
02-14-2013, 07:32 PM
good write up on Ramon Foster too.

some here should read it.

What is your obsession with a decent guard. He could start for some teams and not others. Meh.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-14-2013, 07:57 PM
What is your obsession with a decent guard. He could start for some teams and not others. Meh.

my obsession was with the constant scorn from some here who pretend that he is the worst starting guard in the league and the sole reason for the offensive woes.

I will clear my posts with you in the future. Ok?

Chadman
02-14-2013, 08:11 PM
my obsession was with the constant scorn from some here who pretend that he is the worst starting guard in the league and the sole reason for the offensive woes.

You know how Chadman can tell the Steelers underperformed in 2012?

Look how snipey we all are!

Chill everyone... :D

Eddie Spaghetti
02-14-2013, 08:17 PM
you're right chadman.

long year.

BigRob
02-14-2013, 08:29 PM

I think most people see him for what he is. A mediocre guard at best. He is in the bottom third of the league as a starter.

Sure, you can pm them to me ahead of time.:D

Eddie Spaghetti
02-14-2013, 08:37 PM
sure boss.

check it daily.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-14-2013, 08:56 PM

He is OBESE! :D

supersteeler
02-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Too big & fat.

Oh, I get it http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5130828/il_fullxfull.92804080.jpg

NJ-STEELER
02-15-2013, 01:00 AM
I think most people see him for what he is. A mediocre guard at best. He is in the bottom third of the league as a starter.

maybe

but even the best considered lines in the league have a guy or 2 that are low round/free agent types but are good enough with the surrounded talent to gel into a good unit

you dont need 3 1st round picks and 2 2nd rounders to have a good line.

go across the league and pick out a top OL and you'll see they have much less pedigree to work with

Mister Pittsburgh
02-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Not that Warmack won't be a great OG in the NFL, and not even a matter that he would be a big upgrade to our team....but I'm leaning toward them NOT drafting another OL in the first round. I think FS, SS, OLB have to be our biggest needs with WR, TE, RB in the second, but not distant, tier. Most people would list ILB as a giant need but we do have a stud in Timmons in there and its not like Larry Foote is some stellar ILB, but he hasn't hurt the team at all.

Could a Kion Wilson or Brian Rolle play the ILB spot beside Timmons if there are better prospects at other positions?

Oviedo
02-15-2013, 02:04 PM

Exactly, Foster was always characterized as mediocre at best no matter how many wanted to interpret that as being told "their baby was ugly." Foster is what he is serviceable but not a starter on any of the top 50% OLs in this league. We shouldn't be satisfied with that. Once you make the team and have a job to do your performance shouldn't get bonus points because you were an UDFA. The opponents don't play you any different.

Chadman
02-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Not that Warmack won't be a great OG in the NFL, and not even a matter that he would be a big upgrade to our team....but I'm leaning toward them NOT drafting another OL in the first round. I think FS, SS, OLB have to be our biggest needs with WR, TE, RB in the second, but not distant, tier. Most people would list ILB as a giant need but we do have a stud in Timmons in there and its not like Larry Foote is some stellar ILB, but he hasn't hurt the team at all.

Could a Kion Wilson or Brian Rolle play the ILB spot beside Timmons if there are better prospects at other positions?

Rolle might have been a really sneaky-good pick-up. That said, if Larry Foote will play for Vet Minimum, wouldn't you just bring him back & give Spence the chance to get healthy?

Mister Pittsburgh
02-16-2013, 05:00 AM
Rolle might have been a really sneaky-good pick-up. That said, if Larry Foote will play for Vet Minimum, wouldn't you just bring him back & give Spence the chance to get healthy?

Like normal, our offense was the weaker unit, while our defense was really good. Foote was far from a problem. He is however getting older. If Rolle or Kion could play at a Foote level or better then it was a nice pickup, either of them.

supersteeler
02-16-2013, 07:37 AM

I haven't seen Wilson or Rolle play to make any judgement, Larry Foote played decent last season led the team in tackles with 4 sacks which is pretty good for a Steeler ILB. He could be an asset while spence developes or if they think the two above can take his place go for it.
As for Warmack, I seen him play. He's a dominate guard and IMO could start day one for the Steelers, how many draft picks could start for us?
I doubt they would pick O-line in round one too, but he would be tempting considering he could provide immediate help for a sputtering offense.

NJ-STEELER
02-16-2013, 01:09 PM
agreed

foote is average at a position where you can get by with since the rest of the unit is loaded.

time to add to the side of the ball that hasn't been ranked in the top 5 for years

and you can find similiar average production in the later rounds

Chucktownsteeler
02-16-2013, 10:05 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/history-tells-us-alabama-g-chance-warmack-likely-to-be-available-at-17th-overall/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=history-tells-us-alabama-g-chance-warmack-likely-to-be-available-at-17th-overall

I know....it's been said, we won't pick him even if he's there, but it would be tempting. We could end up having one of the best O-lines in the AFC with him. He can play tackle too and fit the BPA motto.

Wasn't there a previous warning about posting from this site?

NorthCoast
02-17-2013, 10:00 AM
The No.1 draft pick by the Steelers is not my worry. They have proven to be very good at the cant miss prospects. It is the 2-4 rounds where they really need to find a few gems. This team doesn't have a lot of depth and salary cap issues will prevent signing any decent backups.

phillyesq
02-19-2013, 01:18 PM
I had been against the Steelers using a #1 on a guard. But after seeing this, I'm not as opposed to the idea, though I still have the same concerns (namely, that it's an overcommitment of resources to an area and that the Steelers will not be able to retain the entire unit).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/19/mayock-sees-four-options-for-chiefs-at-no-1/

I've heard a lot of good things about Cooper lately. For those who support the pick of Warmack, would you take Cooper if he was available?

Mister Pittsburgh
02-19-2013, 01:26 PM
I would go Warmack or Fisher.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Like normal, our offense was the weaker unit, while our defense was really good. Foote was far from a problem. He is however getting older. If Rolle or Kion could play at a Foote level or better then it was a nice pickup, either of them.
Rolle will have alot more range than Foote and look better in coverage. The question will be how clean does he have to be to make plays between the tackles. 3-4 ILB is a "lunch box" position. You are going to have to work whistle to whistle and make ugly tackles at times falling off blocks between the tackles. That was one thing that Farrior was really exceptional at early in his career. If he was engaged, he would maintain his discipline and fall off the block to make a play..."Crafty Control". Running back hitting the hole thinking the OL-FB-TE has the LB line up but the LB is engaged with control. He is just waiting for the RB to make his cut the way he wants him to so he could make the play. Rolle will have to show good ability to shed and use his hands to control blockers or he will be nothing more than a back-up/nickel backer and ST player. His great athleticism won't be much help between the tackles on the plus side of the LOS. That's where you need to be a football player.

Slapstick
02-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Rolle will have alot more range than Foote and look better in coverage. The question will be how clean does he have to be to make plays between the tackles. 3-4 ILB is a "lunch box" position. You are going to have to work whistle to whistle and make ugly tackles at times falling off blocks between the tackles. That was one thing that Farrior was really exceptional at early in his career. If he was engaged, he would maintain his discipline and fall off the block to make a play..."Crafty Control". Running back hitting the hole thinking the OL-FB-TE has the LB line up but the LB is engaged with control. He is just waiting for the RB to make his cut the way he wants him to so he could make the play. Rolle will have to show good ability to shed and use his hands to control blockers or he will be nothing more than a back-up/nickel backer and ST player. His great athleticism won't be much help between the tackles on the plus side of the LOS. That's where you need to be a football player.

Rolle was a MLB at OSU...when they switched to their 3-4 look, his position would have been roughly equivalent to the Steelers "Buck" LB, which is what Farrior played...

If the D-Line can cover him up, he may work out...

feltdizz
02-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Hell no on OL in the first.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-19-2013, 04:47 PM
As a polar opposite I would say hell yes on OL in the first if it is the right OL. Every single rule they have modified in the past half decade favors the offense. They are even talking about widening the field which will favor the offense. On one hand we have seen first hand what having your OL injured with inferior backups gets you. No running game. No time to throw the ball. But on the other hand, when Harrison, Troy, Woodley go down our defense still performed well.

Bottom line is I have zero comfort in heading into the season with Gilbert-Beachum-Pouncey-DeCastro-Adams with possibly Malecki, Legursky and Foster (if they even bring those two back) as our backups. I would rather plug Fisher, Johnson at LT for Gilbert and have Gilbert as a backup, or Warmack into LG with Beachum as backup depth at OG and OT.

Chadman
02-20-2013, 01:23 AM
If the Steelers lose Keenan Lewis, they'll need a CB to take Taylor's spot next season...

steelerkeylargo
02-20-2013, 02:21 AM
Warmack will be a top 10 pick.....lock it up

hawaiiansteel
02-20-2013, 02:51 AM
as he should be, Warmack is absolutely dominant!

the only thing working against him is that he plays OG...

supersteeler
02-20-2013, 08:50 AM
as he should be, Warmack is absolutely dominant!

the only thing working against him is that he plays OG...

Personally I would have a hard time passing him up if he was available when we pick. He could start day one on the Steelers offensive line and we would have Beachum to back him up and DeCastro as well. I hear Beachum could even back up the tackle position in a pinch.
Lets put it this way, if Warmack was there when we pick he most likely would be the BPA and immediate help to our team.

Heck, with Warmack there you could move the chains@ RB Hawaiian:)

Btw, here is a quote from Jerry Dulac's article today.

What's more, the Steelers cannot afford to use their No. 1 draft pick on a player who will be groomed to play in another year or two. That's a luxury they can afford after a Super Bowl season when not many roster openings are available. Not now. Enter Warmack:)

With 17 unrestricted free agents, they need players to come in and play immediately, especially the one who will be the 17th overall pick.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/hunt-for-three-key-draftees-heats-up-for-steelers-676086/#ixzz2LRbRjUcu

supersteeler
02-22-2013, 10:02 PM
NFL Network's Mike Mayock thinks Alabama offensive guard Chance Warmack is the No. 1 player in the 2013 NFL Draft.
Share on Facebook Tweet this post
Because of his position, Alabama offensive guard Chance Warmack has been a bit overlooked when it comes to potential top-five picks in the 2013 NFL Draft. The general consensus is that there's no way a guard would be drafted so early on, meaning it's probably unlikely that he will even be in the mix for the Detroit Lions' No. 5 overall pick.
Position aside, let's consider where Warmack stacks up just based on overall talent. NFL Network's Mike Mayock recently addressed this very topic on the Rich Eisen Podcast, and he actually thinks that Warmack is the best player in this year's draft. From Rotoworld:
"The best player I've seen on tape is the guard from Alabama, Chance Warmack," said Mayock. "Now he's not going No. 1, but he's the best football player (in the draft)." Mayock expects the 2013 draft to be heavy on offensive and defensive linemen in the first round, because they are the strength of the draft.
The Lions have a need at offensive guard with Stephen Peterman being released, but Warmack probably isn't a realistic possibility for them unless they trade down. I honestly wouldn't be totally opposed to the Lions taking Warmack at No. 5 considering how much he could potentially upgrade their offensive line. However, the thinking is that the Lions will want to address a bigger need like defensive end or go with a more impact position like offensive tackle if they stay at No. 5 overall.[/SIZE]

papillon
02-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Ideally (at least in my mind), Warmack is there at 1.17 and a team behind us would really like to draft Warmack and is willing to move up to do so. The Steelers could move back a few spots, get an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd and still get one of the players that Mayock says are all similar in NFL ability (1.11 thru 1.25).

The Steelers should be able to put together a good NFL caliber line with 2-first round picks, 2-second round picks and a serviceable NFL lineman (I would bet that no NFL team has 3-first round picks and 2-second round picks in their starting OL).

Wide receiver seems to be the one position that the Steelers do not place as high a premium on as other teams. Wallace will be the third #1 WR to leave the Steelers in the past 12 years, Burress, Holmes and Wallace. I agree WRs can be found throughout the draft simply because the league needs more of them now, so colleges are developing WRs at a high rate. At some point though, you need consistency in the position for your quarterback to be able to rely on a player.

Pappy

MeetJoeGreene
02-23-2013, 01:11 PM
I just saw him run the 40 and wasn't really that impressed....not only from his run, but he had a substantial gut (i.e. he didn't look athletic). I defer to draft gurus but....

pfelix73
02-23-2013, 01:24 PM
40's and OLmen don't concern me all that much, but these shuttle runs do. Esp. with the interior linemen... Warmack still doesn't look great in these drills as of now... There are other OG's that we can get in the later rounds....Dude from JMU ain't bad.

When I watched Warmack in games (only a few), he was menacing with those he'd hit, even the LB's but, I'm concerned how well he'll do on the faster NFL level... He looked slow at times in games.. Don't know if I ever saw him pull t all. If he were there at 17.... I'd consider trading the pick and moving down to get extra picks. Jus like apy was saying, someone will want to move up. Get a OG later in the draft....I think we could find a more athletic, quicker OG in round 3 or 4. Seems to be a deep position this year. Just my 2 cents.

D Rock
02-23-2013, 01:30 PM
what are the odds that one of Warmack of Jarvis Jones gets to #17?

I don't think you can go wrong taking either one, and both have a reason to slide that far...Warmack's position and Jones's medical history

Dee Dub
02-23-2013, 02:11 PM
I just saw him run the 40 and wasn't really that impressed....not only from his run, but he had a substantial gut (i.e. he didn't look athletic). I defer to draft gurus but....

Are you kidding me? The 40 means nothing for a player like him. When is he going to run 40 yards on a football field? He is the most dominate player in this entire draft. He got to the second level and blew defenders out of position all year long. This is a future hall of famer.

Dee Dub
02-23-2013, 02:13 PM
NFL Network's Mike Mayock thinks Alabama offensive guard Chance Warmack is the No. 1 player in the 2013 NFL Draft.
Share on Facebook Tweet this post
Because of his position, Alabama offensive guard Chance Warmack has been a bit overlooked when it comes to potential top-five picks in the 2013 NFL Draft. The general consensus is that there's no way a guard would be drafted so early on, meaning it's probably unlikely that he will even be in the mix for the Detroit Lions' No. 5 overall pick.
Position aside, let's consider where Warmack stacks up just based on overall talent. NFL Network's Mike Mayock recently addressed this very topic on the Rich Eisen Podcast, and he actually thinks that Warmack is the best player in this year's draft. From Rotoworld:
"The best player I've seen on tape is the guard from Alabama, Chance Warmack," said Mayock. "Now he's not going No. 1, but he's the best football player (in the draft)." Mayock expects the 2013 draft to be heavy on offensive and defensive linemen in the first round, because they are the strength of the draft.
The Lions have a need at offensive guard with Stephen Peterman being released, but Warmack probably isn't a realistic possibility for them unless they trade down. I honestly wouldn't be totally opposed to the Lions taking Warmack at No. 5 considering how much he could potentially upgrade their offensive line. However, the thinking is that the Lions will want to address a bigger need like defensive end or go with a more impact position like offensive tackle if they stay at No. 5 overall.[/SIZE]

Interesting.....you needed to hear it from Mike Mayock? I've been saying it for the past 6 months.;)

MeetJoeGreene
02-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Are you kidding me? The 40 means nothing for a player like him. When is he going to run 40 yards on a football field? He is the most dominate player in this entire draft. He got to the second level and blew defenders out of position all year long. This is a future hall of famer.

I hear ya. He just looked like a tub.

lloydroid
02-23-2013, 06:09 PM
I hear ya. He just looked like a tub.

He looked less like a tub than our Colon does. Colon is ridiculously fat, on a slob, sloppy level. Warmack is going to be an awesome NFL OG. He is as natural as can be.

pfelix73
02-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Yup. Even when he's at the local church pancake breakfast on Saturday mornings and putting them down the gullet.... A Natural. lol

supersteeler
02-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Interesting.....you needed to hear it from Mike Mayock? I've been saying it for the past 6 months.;)

I watched Warmack play and knew he was a great guard but to be named the best player in the draft is a high honor. It would be a dream pick for us @ 17 but don't know if he'll be there, and if he was whether the Steelers would select him.

Haven't seen good left guard play since Alan Fanaca played that position, he could be that guy to help our running game on that side, plus DeCastro on the other and you would see our run game make a great improvement.

feltdizz
02-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Draft gurus always say the best guy in the draft is someone who goes in the middle of the first?

hawaiiansteel
02-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Ed: Another Lineman in 1st Round? Not Likely

TUESDAY, 26 FEBRUARY 2013
WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

Normally, the free agency period would begin Friday, but it kept being pushed back and now it’s almost into the Ides of March. The NFL now wants to push it back even more, push the draft back more, into May, and just stretch this offseason for every single bit of drama it can wring out of it.

Yet, at the same time, the new CBA won’t allow players to work out together at the team’s facility until the middle of April April and then only strength and conditioning coaches can work with the players. The practices, commonly known as OTAs, cannot take place until after the draft and then only 10 are permitted.

The union fought for those rules, not NFL management, because it wanted to limit what was required in the offseason in “voluntary” workouts.

When I first began covering the Steelers for the Post-Gazette, there were no OTAs, no offseason workouts, not even organized weight lifting by the team. Chuck Noll did not believe in it and he detested the fact that some teams paid their players to actually lift weights in a structured environment at their facilities. He could get away with it previously because no NFL teams believed in such an offseason routine. But when others started doing it, the Steelers fell behind; perhaps that is why their record in the 1980s was so dismal.

As more and more put in offseason “voluntary” workouts, other teams had to do it to keep up with the Joneses. It was getting out of hand, however, and the union pushed for rules and then tightened them to where we are today.

Onto some stuff:

--- Kevin Colbert says the Steelers could draft a guard at No. 17, and I believe he believes that because he believes strongly in going with the highest rated prospect – to a point. Kevin also was there when he and Bill Cowher, according to Dan Rooney, wanted to draft a guard in the first round in 2004 and instead Rooney stepped into the conversation and turned it toward the quarterback.

--- To remind those about what the line should look like to open 2013, barring injuries and other foreseen calamaties that often beset them, the Steelers offensive line should look like this from left to right: Marcus Gilbert (2nd round, 2011), Kelvin Beachum (7th round, 2012), Maurkice Pouncey (1st round, 2010), David DeCastro (1st round, 2012), Mike Adams (2nd round, 2012). After ignoring the offensive line high in the draft for a decade, the Steelers have poured 67 percent of their top two draft picks into it the past three years. They can stop now.

--- They better get some wide receivers and a lead running back or that offensive line will have no one to block for.

--- The Steelers have drafted five linemen in their six picks in the first two rounds the past three years, counting defensive end Cam Heyward. The only player in the top two rounds not a lineman was linebacker Jason Worilds, picked in the second round in 2010.

--- Ziggy Hood, their top selection in 2009, enters the final year of his contract. Typically, this is the year they would try to sign him to a new one, before the start of the season. Will they?

--- Worilds also enters the final year of his contract. If they believe he is the heir apparent to James Harrison, shouldn’t they try to extend him now?

--- The Steelers have been spot on for the most part in keeping the young players they want to keep, but that is about to end as both Mike Wallace and, perhaps Keenan Lewis, head elsewhere as unrestricted free agents. Some might lump Rashard Mendenhall in there as well.

--- The last young free agents the Steelers lost who they really would have preferred to keep were safety Chris Hope and receiver Antwaan Randle El in 2006 and receiver Nate Washington in 2009.

--- If Doug Legursky leaves as a free agent, John Malecki will take his place as the backup center/guard.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/120019-ed-another-lineman-in-1st-round-not-likely

supersteeler
02-28-2013, 08:00 AM
--- They better get some wide receivers and a lead running back or that offensive line will have no one to block for.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/120019-ed-another-lineman-in-1st-round-not-likely[/QUOTE]

We all understand we'll need a feature back and receiver and I'm sure the Steelers will address that in the draft, but it works both ways you need a solid line for the back to run with consistency.
I'm for taking the BPA no matter what position, as the article stated we better get a back & receiver but I don't see an Adrian peterson in the draft to pick in round one.

I've been a supporter of drafting Warmack as everyone knows, I think he would be the best player on the board if he was there @17, so if the Steelers want the next Alan Fanaca they would have that opportunity. It's not only that, losing Colon, Foster thins our O-line out, then with Starks leaving we are really thined out. What happens if injuries occur again? We have Malecki as the only signed O-lineman and he plays guard only. Even if we sign Legursky we are still thin on that line especially at Tackle where Warmack could probably play in an emergency situation Legursky surely couldn't play tackle.

I know most of you have a favorite player in mind when we pick, but would any of you be disappointed if we did indeed draft Warmack? Please don't bring up we already invested in the line, just ask yourself if you would be disappointed.
For me I want my first round pick to be a dominate player even if he doesn't start right away, we could have both with Warmack a starter and dominate at his position.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-28-2013, 10:17 AM
I would be disappointed with Warmack or Cooper for that matter. Nothing against them as players. I also think the Steelers would hope not to be put in that situation. If they are there at #17 and no OLB or WR that grade out is on the board....They can't get out....Warmack is the highest rated player left and they select him....I would understand.
But I still would be disappointed.

Oviedo
02-28-2013, 11:55 AM
I would be disappointed with Warmack or Cooper for that matter. Nothing against them as players. I also think the Steelers would hope not to be put in that situation. If they are there at #17 and no OLB or WR that grade out is on the board....They can't get out....Warmack is the highest rated player left and they select him....I would understand.
But I still would be disappointed.

Not sure I would be disappointed drafting Warmack at #17 when he could be the best OL you have on the team by the end of his rookie year if not sooner. That give you alot of flexibility going forward in negotiations with guys as they are looking at their second contracts.

pfelix73
02-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Sorry, but this guy is NO Alan Faneca, imo. No way he can pull like Alan could. No way, he's too big.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Not sure I would be disappointed drafting Warmack at #17 when he could be the best OL you have on the team by the end of his rookie year if not sooner. That give you alot of flexibility going forward in negotiations with guys as they are looking at their second contracts.

He may or may not be better than Pouncey & Decastro. He would have to play some in the NFL before you crown him anything wouldn't you think? Would the OL be better with him? Absolutely! Would that help the 40% of offensive production (In a productive season) we could lose through FA? May help some but he wouldn't be the biggest contributer in a given scenario. If Warmack is there and no WR or OLB and we can't trade out...I would undrstand. BPA. I would be disappointed until Warmack shows me he could make a difference.

He looks great on tape. He labored significantly at the combine. Maybe he was sick or out of shape. He didn't look like a 1st rounder running through position drills. Little concerned but that doesn't hurt him that much. D Moore had the same combine. I went back and watched more of each and still came away with the same feelings.

supersteeler
02-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Sorry, but this guy is NO Alan Faneca, imo. No way he can pull like Alan could. No way, he's too big.

Maybe so pfelix, but when he pancakes defenders you'll see similar results with the defender on the ground and no one to touch the back.:tt1

Oviedo
02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
He may or may not be better than Pouncey & Decastro. He would have to play some in the NFL before you crown him anything wouldn't you think? Would the OL be better with him? Absolutely! Would that help the 40% of offensive production (In a productive season) we could lose through FA? May help some but he wouldn't be the biggest contributer in a given scenario. If Warmack is there and no WR or OLB and we can't trade out...I would undrstand. BPA. I would be disappointed until Warmack shows me he could make a difference.

He looks great on tape. He labored significantly at the combine. Maybe he was sick or out of shape. He didn't look like a 1st rounder running through position drills. Little concerned but that doesn't hurt him that much. D Moore had the same combine. I went back and watched more of each and still came away with the same feelings.

I buy a WR might be a good alternative but no way do I buy that for an OLB who won't see significant time on the field for two years. This team will be radically different in two years.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-28-2013, 12:39 PM
I buy a WR might be a good alternative but no way do I buy that for an OLB who won't see significant time on the field for two years. This team will be radically different in two years.

I agree with you as far as an OLB not seeing the field. Unfortunately it seems the FO draft guys on the defensive side of the ball without and regard to when they see the field. I hope it changes but we don't control that.

RuthlessBurgher
02-28-2013, 01:56 PM
They better get some wide receivers and a lead running back or that offensive line will have no one to block for

Whereas there are 5 elite OL prospects worthy of being selected in the top half of the first round of this draft (Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, and Lane Johnson at tackle, and Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper at guard), the strength of the wideout and running back class in on day two of the draft, not day one.

The only wideouts with a solid first round grade right now are Cordarelle Patterson and Tavon Austin, and both have question marks (Patterson could be an athletic freak in the Julio Jones mold, but he has only one year of major college experience, and Austin could be an athletic freak in the Percy Harvin mold, but he is ridiculously undersized). The only first round rated RB right now is Eddie Lacy, but how much of his production a factor of running behind what would be a pretty darn good NFL o-line featuring the likes of Chance Warmack, D.J. Fluker, Barrett Jones, etc.

Wideouts who may be available on day 2 include Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins, Terrence Williams, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, Quinton Patton, Markus Wheaton, Da'Rick Rogers, Aaron Dobson, Marquis Goodwin, Ryan Swope, and Stedman Bailey. Running backs who may be available on day 2 include Giovanni Bernard, Joseph Randle, Montee Ball, Jonathan Franklin, Stepfan Taylor, Andre Ellington, and Christine Michael.

Even though we did use two first rounders and two second rounders recently on the OL, I think OL would be a BPA pick yet again if we decide to go offense in round 1. That said, I also see an abundance of early first round pass rushers this year as well, so I think it is more likely that we go defense if any of the pass rushers fall to us (Jarvis Jones, DaMontre Moore, Bjoern Werner, Dion Jordan, Ezekiel Ansah, or Barkevious Mingo).

Dee Dub
02-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Whereas there are 5 elite OL prospects worthy of being selected in the top half of the first round of this draft (Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, and Lane Johnson at tackle, and Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper at guard), the strength of the wideout and running back class in on day two of the draft, not day one.

The only wideouts with a solid first round grade right now are Cordarelle Patterson and Tavon Austin, and both have question marks (Patterson could be an athletic freak in the Julio Jones mold, but he has only one year of major college experience, and Austin could be an athletic freak in the Percy Harvin mold, but he is ridiculously undersized). The only first round rated RB right now is Eddie Lacy, but how much of his production a factor of running behind what would be a pretty darn good NFL o-line featuring the likes of Chance Warmack, D.J. Fluker, Barrett Jones, etc.

Wideouts who may be available on day 2 include Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins, Terrence Williams, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, Quinton Patton, Markus Wheaton, Da'Rick Rogers, Aaron Dobson, Marquis Goodwin, Ryan Swope, and Stedman Bailey. Running backs who may be available on day 2 include Giovanni Bernard, Joseph Randle, Montee Ball, Jonathan Franklin, Stepfan Taylor, Andre Ellington, and Christine Michael.

Even though we did use two first rounders and two second rounders recently on the OL, I think OL would be a BPA pick yet again if we decide to go offense in round 1. That said, I also see an abundance of early first round pass rushers this year as well, so I think it is more likely that we go defense if any of the pass rushers fall to us (Jarvis Jones, DaMontre Moore, Bjoern Werner, Dion Jordan, Ezekiel Ansah, or Barkevious Mingo).

Excellent post! I agree. As much as I would love to have Jarvis Jones at 17 I just dont see it happening. I can not see him getting past Cleveland at 6. I think the concerns about his health during the Combine week was trumped up by teams wanting him to fall. He is just too good and can play from day one. I do see Demontre Moore falling now. But he wont play much for a while (moving to 3-4 OLB), And Mingo is a freak but put on the tape and you just dont see that much of it translating into on-field performance. So like you have said in your post, I think a Jonathan Cooper may be the best pick overall for the Steelers at 17. But I sure hope you are right about Jarvis Jones. Oh how I would love that.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-28-2013, 02:09 PM

Deep WR class. Terrible RB class. I would only take 1 WR round 1 & that is Patterson. I wouldn't take any RBs round 1. OL may be BPA and could be the pick if they can't trade out.

There is a possibilty Moore could fall to #17. If he can run in the 4.7's at his proday and get close to 20 reps (Like he said he did during training) he may be gone.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Excellent post! I agree. As much as I would love to have Jarvis Jones at 17 I just dont see it happening. I can not see him getting past Cleveland at 6. I think the concerns about his health during the Combine week was trumped up by teams wanting him to fall. He is just too good and can play from day one. I do see Demontre Moore falling now. But he wont play much for a while (moving to 3-4 OLB), And Mingo is a freak but put on the tape and you just dont see that much of it translating into on-field performance. So like you have said in your post, I think a Jonathan Cooper may be the best pick overall for the Steelers at 17. But I sure hope you are right about Jarvis Jones. Oh how I would love that.

FYI on Jones. His medical checked out GOOD. Teams will be getting the letters. I think he is gone now.

There is no reason to think Jones and Moore can see the field at the same time.

Dee Dub
02-28-2013, 02:13 PM
FYI on Jones. His medical checked out GOOD. Teams will be getting the letters. I think he is gone now.

There is no reason to think Jones and Moore can see the field at the same time.

Yeah I know but his medical checked out good 3 years ago.

RuthlessBurgher
02-28-2013, 02:19 PM
If Jarvis Jones or DaMontre Moore fall, I take him...still holding out hope. But if they don't, then an OL might be BPA, as DD stated. I would take Cooper over, say, Mingo.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Yeah I know but his medical checked out good 3 years ago.
USC wouldn't clear him to play & Georgia did so he transfered. If the almighty NFL doctors cleared him, I'm sure the teams are hot on him again. I'm not that high on him because he will be 24. If he follows the trend of defensive players, he may be 25-26 by the time he sees the field.

I'm alot higher on Moore. Here's a kid who will be 20 when he gets drafted and turn 21 during the season. If it does take time for him to see the field...He will be 3 years younger.

supersteeler
02-28-2013, 04:33 PM
If Jarvis Jones or DaMontre Moore fall, I take him...still holding out hope. But if they don't, then an OL might be BPA, as DD stated. I would take Cooper over, say, Mingo.

I agree with Jarvis Jones, but if Damontre Moore is there @ 17, I don't believe he'll be BPA at that time JMHO.