PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hire WR coach

Mister Pittsburgh
02-13-2013, 06:45 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-hire-receivers-coach-675166/

Apparently you have to be a Pittsburgh native to get a coaching job here now.

BigRob
02-13-2013, 07:05 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-hire-receivers-coach-675166/

Apparently you have to be a Pittsburgh native to get a coaching job here now.

And? You think that was the main criteria?

Richard Mann actually has more ties to Tomlin than to Pittsburgh. He's a good coach with a track record. Hopefully he can instill some disciplined fundamentals into the guys left on the team.

Here's to hoping him and Antonio Brown make a potent combination and impact on the rest of the receiving corp. :tt1

Eddie Spaghetti
02-13-2013, 07:26 PM
maybe having an older guy in the room will help get this group grounded.

zachintosh66
02-13-2013, 07:47 PM
So in addition to old players... were now getting old coaches who havent coached in years... seems legit.

supersteeler
02-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Hey, if he can get us the 2011 stats then he's the...Man!

flippy
02-13-2013, 09:43 PM
He looks like he might be older than Lebeau. He's rocking the skunk stripe.

http://toolbox.studiobanks.com/content/arhenetwork.com/profiles/3283.jpg

steelmann58
02-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Tomlin Crony who also been away from coaching for 3 seasons hope it pans out.

costanza2k1
02-13-2013, 10:18 PM
be wise to give the man a chance, he's coached multiple HOF WRs and TEs

Snatch98
02-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Tomlin Crony who also been away from coaching for 3 seasons hope it pans out.

I'm so amazingly tired of reading about the supposed "Tomlin Cronies". As several have pointed out in various threads if this is a problem then you better start marking up EVERY OTHER COACH IN THE NFL! I'm pretty sure Tomlin knows how to Coach, he did win one of the most coveted Jobs in the NFL and has done a pretty damn good job all things considered with quite a bit of on and off the field adversity. Let's wait and see how this guy pans out but he has a strong track record and all the Monday morning qb's on this site don't unless we're talking about a propensity to B*tch and moan like grade school kids.

steelmann58
02-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Let just hope it was better than Amos Jones hire but you right need to keep an open mind and will support all our steelers hires.

Oviedo
02-14-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm so amazingly tired of reading about the supposed "Tomlin Cronies". As several have pointed out in various threads if this is a problem then you better start marking up EVERY OTHER COACH IN THE NFL! I'm pretty sure Tomlin knows how to Coach, he did win one of the most coveted Jobs in the NFL and has done a pretty damn good job all things considered with quite a bit of on and off the field adversity. Let's wait and see how this guy pans out but he has a strong track record and all the Monday morning qb's on this site don't unless we're talking about a propensity to B*tch and moan like grade school kids.

Exactly. Tomlin is going with someone he knows and has seen operate first hand who has a solid resume. Maybe he should just advertise the job in the Post Gazette or take someone elese's opinion on a coach he knows nothing about. The cronyism comments is just plain stupid talk. Every coach in the league has other coaches he has relationship with and either gives them jobs on their staffs or gets them jobs. It is exactly the same way in college. It's all about networks and having a network of people you know and trust.

flippy
02-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Maybe he should just advertise the job in the Post Gazette

That cracked me up. Although, he'd still most likely get a Pittsburgher which seems to be a problem for some. Maybe he should go with the Wall Street Journal.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-14-2013, 12:18 PM
That cracked me up. Although, he'd still most likely get a Pittsburgher which seems to be a problem for some. Maybe he should go with the Wall Street Journal.

The initial 'Apparently you have to be from Pittsburgh to get a coaching job here' was stated in a joking manner as 3 of our last 4 new coaching hires are from Pittsburgh. Not sure what is getting everyone fired up.

squidkid
02-14-2013, 04:05 PM
relax guys. not sure you can blame tomlin for this. not even sure if he was allowed to make the hire

fezziwig
02-14-2013, 04:46 PM
If you guys don't like these old coaches call them up and tell them about it. Richard Manns phone number is 9 and Dick Lebeaus phone number is 3.

Heck, Bruce Arians was our receivers coach so by comparrison, this guy will be like having Vince Lombardi.

steelz09
02-16-2013, 10:25 PM
"For the past few years, Mann has been assisting and consulting players as they prepare for the NFL Draft. Prior to joining the Buccaneers, Mann spent the 2001 season as the Washington Redskins wide receivers coach."

By past few years, do they mean12 years? Wow, he must be a hot commodity in the NFL circles. No coaching jobs in the last 12 years? Nice hire Tomlin.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-16-2013, 11:11 PM
"For the past few years, Mann has been assisting and consulting players as they prepare for the NFL Draft. Prior to joining the Buccaneers, Mann spent the 2001 season as the Washington Redskins wide receivers coach."

By past few years, do they mean12 years? Wow, he must be a hot commodity in the NFL circles. No coaching jobs in the last 12 years? Nice hire Tomlin.

he coached last with the bucs in 2009.

steelz09
02-17-2013, 12:13 AM
he coached last with the bucs in 2009.

Gotcha. I misread that. So three years he was unemployed?

eniparadoxgma
02-17-2013, 11:22 AM

:Clap:Clap:Clap

So many people are so quick to judgment in the face of a complete lack of evidence. Invariably, these premature assessments are negative. It seems that if you dislike Tomlin (for whatever reason) you must also dislike any hires done under his tenure. Really don't understand why people feel the need to jump to conclusions all the time around here, but the lack of rationality is mind boggling.

steelz09
02-17-2013, 11:38 AM

So many people are so quick to judgment in the face of a complete lack of evidence. Invariably, these premature assessments are negative. It seems that if you dislike Tomlin (for whatever reason) you must also dislike any hires done under his tenure. Really don't understand why people feel the need to jump to conclusions all the time around here, but the lack of rationality is mind boggling.

I don't know if that is fair. I think it's people being critical and judgemental. I've liked certain things Tomlin did this year from a discipline perspective (i.e. Mendenhall situation) but other decisions are certainly questionable.

Oviedo
02-17-2013, 12:49 PM

Not just "hires" but pretty much draft picks done by Tomlin too. The anti-Tomlin faction is still there in the shadows waiting to jump out anytime they see an opportunity.

Oviedo
02-17-2013, 12:52 PM
I don't know if that is fair. I think it's people being critical and judgemental. I've liked certain things Tomlin did this year from a discipline perspective (i.e. Mendenhall situation) but other decisions are certainly questionable.

Can't we say that about any coach who has every coached in the NFL to include Noll and Cowher? Ask yourself why is the standard different for Tomlin? I think it is obvious.

eniparadoxgma
02-18-2013, 10:24 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by critical. The two main definitions are "Inclined to judge severely and find fault" and "Characterized by careful, exact evaluation and judgment". I would say that I see much more of the 1st but wish there were more of the 2nd.

eniparadoxgma
02-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Not just "hires" but pretty much draft picks done by Tomlin too. The anti-Tomlin faction is still there in the shadows waiting to jump out anytime they see an opportunity.

Reminds me of the anti-Ben people. "He had a bad a game!" "Bench him!" "He sucks!" "Throw trash in his yard!" "BLOW UP HIS HOUSE! RARRFGLELEL!!!1" Friggin pitchforks and torches as far as the eye can see at one bad game... one bad decision... one bad throw...

steelz09
02-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Can't we say that about any coach who has every coached in the NFL to include Noll and Cowher? Ask yourself why is the standard different for Tomlin? I think it is obvious.

It's not different.... People criticizing Tomlin is no different or worse then you criticizing Lebeau in just about every defensive thread on this forum :)

Or should we just keep the Steelers blinders on and think all is well after our superb 8-8 season?