PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown Has The Right Attitude

supersteeler
02-12-2013, 07:43 AM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Brown-working-hard-ready-to-lead/c217e57f-8d0a-4f0d-b682-58b057ed5a2f

He's taking this off season serious and wants to better his game, looks like Hines Ward is rubbing off on Brown in what it takes to be a great player.
Brown looks to be the go to guy next season and it appears he wants to lead by example taking the extra steps to be the best he can be, which is the mindset all the players should emulate.

As we discuss the draft, players that may be leaving, the cap and all the other componets, it is clear to me our offense is the key for our team to get better. I often stated averaging 21 a game won't do it, we must find ways to score more points and once in the red zone look for TD's not settle for field goals. Beside a RB,WR, IMO we'll need another TE in our offense as we don't know how long it will take for Heath to get back to recovery. Beside that, grooming and even playing a TE as a rookie might be a good idea as we move forward.

Another area the Steelers might want to consider is using Will Johnson more in the passing game, I thought he played well when called on but utilizing him more could help us. Obviously we need a feature back that can move the chains but also one that can cut it outside not just between the tackles.

In my mind our O-line will be key for any success we have on offense, but it doesn't stop there the Steelers need to quit pussy-footin on the field and be aggressive in their approach on offense. With a good QB like Ben we shouldn't have to watch our team struggle to score points, the players and coaches need to get on board to remedy that issue.

When is the last time you seen the Steelers be a force on offense on a consistent basis? The idea of getting a lead and sitting on it isn't the way to go like we did in the past, be aggressive till the clock hits 0, again 21 gets you 8-8 records or worse if it wasn't for our defense.

Oviedo
02-12-2013, 08:10 AM
That "attitude" is why Brown got the money while another WR was just thinking about himself.

BURGH86STEEL
02-12-2013, 09:07 AM
That "attitude" is why Brown got the money while another WR was just thinking about himself.

There is not anything wrong with thinking about one's self. You can like it or not but Wallace is going to get paid somewhere.

Chadman
02-12-2013, 09:39 AM

That 'attitude' didn't improve his performance, or help him live up to the contract offered. If 'attitude' was all you needed to get $6.2m, then just sign up Melecki now- that dude has the right attitude. Him and Legursky both. The team will suck, but at least they'll play with th right spirit.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-12-2013, 09:40 AM
I would like to hear that Mike Adams & Dwyer are already working and lifting and running for next season so they can come into camp in the best shape of their lives. I don't think Dwyer has it in him to do that though. If he would spend one solid offseason working out with Ike down at Tom Shaw, lose the baby fat and get his cardio right, I think he could be a solid NFL RB. We absolutely NEED Adams to be a beast. Same with Gilbert for that matter. Same with Woodley for that matter.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-12-2013, 09:40 AM
That 'attitude' didn't improve his performance, or help him live up to the contract offered. If 'attitude' was all you needed to get $6.2m, then just sign up Melecki now- that dude has the right attitude. Him and Legursky both. The team will suck, but at least they'll play with th right spirit.

Brown put up his big season running Wallace routes. Once back to doing that, he will be back to putting up the numbers.

Slapstick
02-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Brown put up his big season running Wallace routes. Once back to doing that, he will be back to putting up the numbers.

I still think the "running Wallace routes" is a bunch of crap...

But, if true, then this could be a big season for Brown...in 2011, he averaged more than 16 YpC...in 2012, he scored more TDs...

Put them both together...

Eich
02-12-2013, 10:07 AM
There is not anything wrong with thinking about one's self. You can like it or not but Wallace is going to get paid somewhere.

Yes, he will get paid. Good for him. But other guys went elsewhere because the Steelers didn't suit them and they thought more of themselves than anything else. It didn't always work out the best for them. See Holmes and Plax.

Good luck Mike.

If I had a son in the NFL, I'd want him to be a lot more like AB than MW.

BURGH86STEEL
02-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Yes, he will get paid. Good for him. But other guys went elsewhere because the Steelers didn't suit them and they thought more of themselves than anything else. It didn't always work out the best for them. See Holmes and Plax.

Good luck Mike.

If I had a son in the NFL, I'd want him to be a lot more like AB than MW.

Who's to say that things would had worked out any differently for Holmes or Plax if they remained Steelers? Holmes had "issues" before he joined the Steelers. Joining the Steelers didn't change Holmes as a person. Follow me?

I don't know AB or MW personally. I'd prefer my son to be more like myself or someone I knew as opposed to someone I don't know.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-12-2013, 11:45 AM
all the talk about ABs attitude is wearing thin.

make winning plays, that all I care about.

Oviedo
02-12-2013, 12:20 PM

To paraphrase:

"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back of the jersey"

I believe that. The Steelers organization is eternal and the players are all replaceable carbon units.

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
The title of the article was "Brown working hard, ready to lead."

I agree with the first part. He is working hard this offseason, and that's great.

But as for being ready to be a leader...Why is he working out by himself? People always work out better when there is someone there with them rather than alone. You compete against each other, build team chemistry, and all get better together.

If he were a leader, wouldn't he try getting his fellow wideouts to work out with him? In addition to the standard cardio and lifting work, wouldn't he try to convince a QB to come throw him some passes, and some of the corners to cover him as he was working on his routes?

Slapstick
02-12-2013, 03:48 PM
The title of the article was "Brown working hard, ready to lead."

I agree with the first part. He is working hard this offseason, and that's great.

But as for being ready to be a leader...Why is he working out by himself? People always work out better when there is someone there with them rather than alone. You compete against each other, build team chemistry, and all get better together.

If he were a leader, wouldn't he try getting his fellow wideouts to work out with him? In addition to the standard cardio and lifting work, wouldn't he try to convince a QB to come throw him some passes, and some of the corners to cover him as he was working on his routes?

I think the point is that, right now, Brown might be the only guy working out like this...

That is not to say that a group workout isn't in the future, but right now, Brown is setting an example...and the Steelers are putting that on blast on the website so that everyone can see the example...

feltdizz
02-12-2013, 03:55 PM
God forbid a WR works hard and gets some pub...

Chadman
02-12-2013, 05:55 PM
If he stops the stupid taunting that crept into his game, he'd go a long way to being a better leader...

Eich
02-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Who's to say that things would had worked out any differently for Holmes or Plax if they remained Steelers? Holmes had "issues" before he joined the Steelers. Joining the Steelers didn't change Holmes as a person. Follow me?

Staying with the Steelers isn't the point or issue. It's the me, me, me, me-first attitude that gets some of these guys in trouble and takes away from their potential. Holmes, Plax, TO, Ochocinco, etc...

I don't know AB or MW personally. I'd prefer my son to be more like myself or someone I knew as opposed to someone I don't know.

Well, yeah, of course. But that's besides the point. The point is... Given what we've seen from AB and MW, The AB personality/attitude is far more, preferable.

Chadman
02-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Well, yeah, of course. But that's besides the point. The point is... Given what we've seen from AB and MW, The AB personality/attitude is far more, preferable.

What exactly have we seen from Wallace as far as his personality & attitude go? Most of the percieved 'bad attitude' from Wallace is exactly that- percieved. Something that a few fans have built into a quasi-truth about him- how he doesn't train hard, doesn't try, is a bad team mate.... has that EVER actually been reported?

The ONLY 'bad' thing that has actually come from his mouth is when he candidly said that because he isn't the focus in attack the way he was under Arians, that the Haley offense causes him to have lapses in concentration.

Every other 'bad' thing we read/talk about/hear about on Wallace is conjecture based on fan-hate.

On the other hand, how many times do we see Antonio Brown taunting the opposition?

AkronSteel
02-13-2013, 02:28 AM
What exactly have we seen from Wallace as far as his personality & attitude go? Most of the percieved 'bad attitude' from Wallace is exactly that- percieved. Something that a few fans have built into a quasi-truth about him- how he doesn't train hard, doesn't try, is a bad team mate.... has that EVER actually been reported?

The ONLY 'bad' thing that has actually come from his mouth is when he candidly said that because he isn't the focus in attack the way he was under Arians, that the Haley offense causes him to have lapses in concentration.

Every other 'bad' thing we read/talk about/hear about on Wallace is conjecture based on fan-hate.

On the other hand, how many times do we see Antonio Brown taunting the opposition?

C'mon brother....we all saw the lack of effort from Wallace last season. You could see his lack of preparation all season, not to mention his lack of focus. Wallace held out and it effected his attitude and focus for an entire season. Do we really want that type of player on the team? I was a Wallace supporter until his lack of effort cost my team chances in games they lost. I can remember several occasions last year where Wallace cost the Steelers big time....Baltimore @ home (big fumble deep in Steeler territory) / no effort on big 3rd down late in 4th quarter where he could have put the team in a much more favorable position with just a little effort. Dallas....quiting on Ben's interception allowing the Cowboys to run the ball back inside the 5. That's just 2 to name many where you could tell he just didn't care because he wasn't getting paid. That is shameful.

Yes, Antonio also had some huge mistakes last season. He probably cost the team two games himself with huge fumbles and yes I wish he would quit his Santonio Holmes impersonation but he also showed effort when making those mistakes. He was trying to make a play and lost the ball but at least it wasn't a lack of effort or care for his team and teammates. That's where Mike Wallace failed himself, the Steelers and his peers. I hope he gets his money and I really don't want him in the AFC North but if it happens so be it. I just don't want him on my team anymore.

Chadman
02-13-2013, 05:23 AM
C'mon brother....we all saw the lack of effort from Wallace last season. You could see his lack of preparation all season, not to mention his lack of focus. Wallace held out and it effected his attitude and focus for an entire season. Do we really want that type of player on the team? I was a Wallace supporter until his lack of effort cost my team chances in games they lost. I can remember several occasions last year where Wallace cost the Steelers big time....Baltimore @ home (big fumble deep in Steeler territory) / no effort on big 3rd down late in 4th quarter where he could have put the team in a much more favorable position with just a little effort. Dallas....quiting on Ben's interception allowing the Cowboys to run the ball back inside the 5. That's just 2 to name many where you could tell he just didn't care because he wasn't getting paid. That is shameful.

Yes, Antonio also had some huge mistakes last season. He probably cost the team two games himself with huge fumbles and yes I wish he would quit his Santonio Holmes impersonation but he also showed effort when making those mistakes. He was trying to make a play and lost the ball but at least it wasn't a lack of effort or care for his team and teammates. That's where Mike Wallace failed himself, the Steelers and his peers. I hope he gets his money and I really don't want him in the AFC North but if it happens so be it. I just don't want him on my team anymore.

The truth of Wallace's effort and attitude probably fits somewhere between your version of events, and Chadman's.

If he didn't put in, as is believed, he sill managed to outperform the other Steeler WR's. What does that say for either the efforts of the other Steeler WR's, or (cringe), the ability of the other WR's, if a half-effort WR that 'can't catch in traffic', or in fact, catch anything if a defender is within half a field of him (as some would like us to believe), has more catches (than all but Brown- and even then, how much difference was there?), more yards, more TD's?

flippy
02-13-2013, 07:46 AM
THe only WR I see making an effort every time I watch him is Manny Sanders. He's not as talented as Wallace or as explosive as Brown. But he looks like he's trying to make an impact on every play.

But even Manny doesn't have his head on straight trying to act like the other WRs at times.

We need a new WR badly. Ben's been hamstrung by his WRs since Santonio left. I think it has cost us at least one SuperBowl. Brown needs to work on more than his athleticism.

supersteeler
02-13-2013, 08:25 AM
If Mike Wallace signed a contract today with the Steelers this board would explode with happy campers. We're looking at it from a different angle.
Mike is a talented receiver as all of our receivers are, we just had a down year but remember it wasn't just the receivers that underacheived.
We tend to put them in the forefront of why we finished a sub-par season, almost every player on that team contributed to that 8-8 record outside of a few. Heath Miller, Timmons, Clark, Pouncey, and our FB Will Johnson all had a good year where they were consistent, we needed the same consistency from the rest of the team.

When all the dust settles I believe we will be better than expected, and yes we can survive without Mike Wallace, but I believe we are a stronger unit with him. I look for Brown to make that leap from this disappointing season and play like he did prior to this latest season, if Sanders does the same we'll be fine. Add another receiver to the mix either Cotchery or draft pick along with a talented TE and we might exceed expectations.

We have a young offensive line now, sometimes a year makes a big difference, especially when Players like Adams, Beachum, and DeCastro had some playing time under their belt. When Adams was healthy we ran on that side and he was doing a great job in run blocking, one of the reasons Redman and Dwyer had back to back 100 yd. games until the injuries came.

Deep down I think some fans don't believe we'll be any better this coming season, especially losing players like Wallace, Mendy, Harrison to name a few, but that's on paper. I get the feeling the 2013 Steelers could wind up being the most focused team we had in awhile, they want to reverse the poor season and rebuild a championship team.
How good will we be? The truth is no one knows, but I'm looking forward to the draft, training camp, and a 2013 Steelers team that has a resolve to take that next step.

Chadman
02-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Chadman thinks next season will be a struggle, and 8-8 might be a realistic target.

But that said, Chadman still can't wait for the draft or kick-off on week 1.

Chadman isn't pessimistic about next season because the Steelers are losing players. Chadman is pessimistic because the players behind these guys we are losing have either not shown enough to be counted on, or have shown enough to know they can't be counted on.

Focus & determination will take a team so far, but if the talent level on the field drops significantly, and chances are- it will, no amount of 'being ready' will transform this team from a 50% side to a play-off side.

Oviedo
02-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Chadman thinks next season will be a struggle, and 8-8 might be a realistic target.

But that said, Chadman still can't wait for the draft or kick-off on week 1.

Chadman isn't pessimistic about next season because the Steelers are losing players. Chadman is pessimistic because the players behind these guys we are losing have either not shown enough to be counted on, or have shown enough to know they can't be counted on.

Focus & determination will take a team so far, but if the talent level on the field drops significantly, and chances are- it will, no amount of 'being ready' will transform this team from a 50% side to a play-off side.

Oviedo agrees with Chadman. If we make the cuts we need to set do a "reset" and lay the base for the future then I think we are looking at 8-8 again.

flippy
02-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Oviedo agrees with Chadman. If we make the cuts we need to set do a "reset" and lay the base for the future then I think we are looking at 8-8 again.

You 2 are clearly off your rockers. I'm thinking 19-0 and being the first to 7. ;)

feltdizz
02-13-2013, 10:41 AM

taunting the opposition is a negative? LOL... nah... that has no bearing on work ethic or team moral. Pouncey is always wolfing or mixing it up with the opposition. Is that bad too?

IMO you are trying real hard to paint Brown in Wallace's negative light. Brown has nothing to do with how Wallace is perceived IMO.... Wallace may be a good guy but fans have soured on him and feel he didn't give 100% last year. IMO he short armed and gave up on too many plays.

Oviedo
02-13-2013, 10:55 AM
taunting the opposition is a negative? LOL... nah... that has no bearing on work ethic or team moral. Pouncey is always wolfing or mixing it up with the opposition. Is that bad too?

IMO you are trying real hard to paint Brown in Wallace's negative light. Brown has nothing to do with how Wallace is perceived IMO.... Wallace may be a good guy but fans have soured on him and feel he didn't give 100% last year. IMO he short armed and gave up on too many plays.

This!!!! Wallace doesn't want to stay a Steeler.

Chadman
02-13-2013, 11:37 AM

That's exactly what Chadman is trying to do. Trying to achieve some sort of balance. Wallace is not the ogre people want him to be, and he is not easily replaced as some think he might be.

Is Brown a bad guy? No way. But Brown is nearly idolised on here, while Wallace is blamed for everything. Brown was just as guilty as Wallace for making bad plays in 2012- and had less financial reasons for doing so. But Brown gets a free pass & Wallace is pitchforked.

Oviedo
02-13-2013, 11:48 AM
That's exactly what Chadman is trying to do. Trying to achieve some sort of balance. Wallace is not the ogre people want him to be, and he is not easily replaced as some think he might be.

Is Brown a bad guy? No way. But Brown is nearly idolised on here, while Wallace is blamed for everything. Brown was just as guilty as Wallace for making bad plays in 2012- and had less financial reasons for doing so. But Brown gets a free pass & Wallace is pitchforked.

But why is Brown "idolized" as you believe? Quite simply he has always come across as a team first player who made the long term commitment to the team when Wallace balked. That is a Wallace issue not Brown. Blame Wallace for his bumbling of the negotiations with the Steelers and overreaching on what he was asking for. Maybe Brown is just smarter with public relations, but I really think his psyche is less about a sense of entitlement that Wallace seems to have. Brown seems to more readily embrace how fortunate he is to be doing what he is doing for who he is doing it for. That resonates with people. Again, those are Wallace problems not Brown problems.

If you know anything about the city of Pittsburgh and Steelers fan it should be that at heart they are in spirit, whether or not in reality, very "blue collar" and that shapes their perceptions about their sports heroes. The appearance and the act of loyalty means alot which is why Mario Lemieux is worshipped and Barry Bonds, and Wallace to a far lesser extent, is despised.

supersteeler
02-13-2013, 11:55 AM
A ntonio Brown is poised to lead the offense DahnTahn (Down Town) hoping the rest of the team follows so we can score more and often N'at!

Believe! :tt1 :arrow: :tt2

Btw, We'll need some :Beer in the process :cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWAGLkyxQG0&feature=player_detailpage BOOM!

feltdizz
02-13-2013, 01:04 PM

I haven't seen anyone make excuses for Brown's mistakes this year. He received tons of blame for the Dallas game (warranted)...

but the reason Wallace gets all the hate is because it "appears" like he was dogging it at times this year and he even said he lacked focus at times because he didn't feel involved. The problem is he was targeted more but his mind was playing tricks on him because he was salty.

..and Wallace turned down a contract so it was his decision to play on the cheap. Flacco did the same thing (to an extent) and played lights out football and proved why he should get paid.

Wallace made sure Wallace had less financial reasons and he did it when we had a new OC.

feltdizz
02-13-2013, 01:05 PM
But why is Brown "idolized" as you believe? Quite simply he has always come across as a team first player who made the long term commitment to the team when Wallace balked. That is a Wallace issue not Brown. Blame Wallace for his bumbling of the negotiations with the Steelers and overreaching on what he was asking for. Maybe Brown is just smarter with public relations, but I really think his psyche is less about a sense of entitlement that Wallace seems to have. Brown seems to more readily embrace how fortunate he is to be doing what he is doing for who he is doing it for. That resonates with people. Again, those are Wallace problems not Brown problems.

If you know anything about the city of Pittsburgh and Steelers fan it should be that at heart they are in spirit, whether or not in reality, very "blue collar" and that shapes their perceptions about their sports heroes. The appearance and the act of loyalty means alot which is why Mario Lemieux is worshipped and Barry Bonds, and Wallace to a far lesser extent, is despised.

you forgot Jagr

calmkiller
02-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Give me AB and Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey on the same team and we won't really miss Wallace at all.

BigRob
02-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Give me AB and Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey on the same team and we won't really miss Wallace at all.

I like Austin in the 2nd, but give me Brown, Deandre Hopkins, Sanders, Cotchery, and Cobi Hamilton. I'd be happy with that WR corp in a hot minute.

hawaiiansteel
02-18-2013, 08:14 PM
MONDAY, 18 FEBRUARY 2013
WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- Apparaently @AntonioBrown84 is catching flack for writing this on Twitter last night: “Praises be to Allah.’’

That’s it. Here’s a take on it from Amber Lee, a Pittsburgh native blogging in Washington, D.C.:
Amber Lee (@blamberr)

2/18/13

Steelers' Antonio Brown: Praises Allah on Twitter, Enrages Followers wp.me/p1WlcD-f7 @HuffingtonPost @PittsburghPG @EdBouchette

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119910-ed-scratch-ogletree-as-possible-steelers-pick

Chadman
02-20-2013, 01:18 AM
MONDAY, 18 FEBRUARY 2013
WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- Apparaently @AntonioBrown84 is catching flack for writing this on Twitter last night: “Praises be to Allah.’’

That’s it. Here’s a take on it from Amber Lee, a Pittsburgh native blogging in Washington, D.C.:
Amber Lee (@blamberr)

2/18/13

Steelers' Antonio Brown: Praises Allah on Twitter, Enrages Followers wp.me/p1WlcD-f7 @HuffingtonPost @PittsburghPG @EdBouchette

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119910-ed-scratch-ogletree-as-possible-steelers-pick

Where's Mendy when you need him?

If this is true- if fans are ripping into him for this- then that is pretty sad.

Rip him for his play- sure, but for his beliefs?

Next thing you know, we'll be running him out of town Mendenhall-style..